Dear Cady: Advice from a Princess (Open)

Bellosh

2qJgRGm.png

Princess Cadence was no stranger to the art of writing letters to her subjects. Back before she became the co-ruler of the Crystal Empire, she routinely received letters from ponies all over Equestria concerning any number of topics. Not surprisingly, many elected to ask her questions of love and romance, given her widely-known association with that subject matter on account of her publicized marriage to Shining Armor. Knowing full well that ponies looked up to her, among other things, as one idealized half of an idealized marriage, Cadence more than happily took on love-related inquiries with gusto.

Now after many months of safeguarding the Crystal Empire, the princess decided to kick things up a notch. To encourage even more ponies to write to her for advice, Cadence would begin writing a publicly-read advice column! She intended to focus mainly on issues of love, being her speciality and all, but she wouldn’t mind tackling on other issues as well. Cadence might be officially the Crystal Princess, but that wouldn’t stop her from keeping in touch with everyone else in Greater Equestria.

So on one fateful day, every newspaper in Equestria, the Crystal Empire, and beyond ran an ad written as such:

Dear everypony:

Ever since I, Cadence, was crowned a princess, many ponies have written to me for many reasons. Some to express their appreciation of what I do, others to look for a friend, and then those who sought my advice. I might not be as wise as my Auntie Celestia, but that doesn’t prevent me from helping my fellow ponies in any way I can.

And so, today marks the exciting debut of my new advice column. Ask me about anything you want. Relationships, lifestyle, making friends; you name it. Everyone who writes to me will have their letter and my response posted in this column, and will be kept anonymous. I hope to see many letters come in soon.

Love,

Cady <3

--------

OOC Rules:

• Each user should only have one character write a letter to Princess Cadence at a time.
  • Please write some exposition for your character with the letter itself. Follow-up reaction posts are encouraged.
  • Since anything published in this advice column will be read by the public at large, the real names for characters writing in will be referred to with pseudonyms.
  • Princess Cadence reserves the right to not give out advice for a question that she's uncomfortable answering.
  • Have fun!

brightstone_zpsbcf47e90.jpg

The new column was amazing! Bright Stone had ALWAYS always ALWAAAYS wanted to talk to the Crystal Princess! RoseHip got out a piece of her favorite stationary, it was a creamy color with red lines to write on, and in the right hand corner was a cluster of Crystal Berries and three of their leaves, It was absolutely perfect for writing to a princess! After selecting the perfect pen that wrote in hunter green ink that glittered ever so softly, Bright Stone began to write her letter.

Dear Cady

HI! I am so glad I get to write to you! I'v always always ALWAYS wanted to meet the Crystal Princess! Thank you for getting rid of King Sombra! I'm glad you kicked his butt! But I'm not really old enough to remember that...Mommy says anyways!

Anyways to stop my prattling on I want to ask you for advice on how I can make some friends...See there are two fillies in my class that I get paired up with a lot but they aren't nice.. first there's... Stinky Sharps.. she's really mean and she likes to boss and scam ponies, and is just MEAN MEAN MEAN! And then there's...Tortilla Lime Glass... Who's just so serious and bossy and ghn...

I don't know what to do, I want to make friends but I'm always paired with two ponies who just see me as a silly filly... what would you do Cady? What would you do if you were the weird mare out that didn't really fit AND got teased for being the teachers pet?

Your Faithful Subject...Dealing with Disaster..

After signing her letter with a handle Bright Stone sent her letter in, hoping and praying she would get a response...

• Like 1

While enjoying her morning coffee and a Crystal Berry muffin, Heart Healer idly flipped through the newspaper until her eyes settled on a certain article. An advice column from none other that Princess Cadence? Well, that was news, better than that story about a pony that thought he was a goat. She knew that stallion was bound to pay the psychologist a visit and probably eat some of her important papers along the way. But that was something to consider for later. Right now it was time to decide what to write. She took out a simple sheet of paper, a quill and some black ink. No colors for her ink, for she found certain colors distracting and seeing that she was already a pink pony and therefore was sometimes mistaken from afar of being Princess Cadence, simplicity was best. And so she began to write:

Dear Cady,

Heart Healer set her quill down for a moment. Cady? It was a very informal name, one that brought forth images of the pink pony's time in school. Of course she didn't have much luck with getting cute names, the best being Hearty, which even that made her cringe slightly. Back to the task at hoof:

It is an honor to meet a pony of your renown. Excuse me if my writing isn't the best as I am usually writing letters to patients, ones that smell of ink and diagnosis. But I digress. As a psychologist I have met many ponies with issues stemming from the simple to the complex to treat. These touch upon matters of grief, loss, or even love. After our apparent return to Equestria and the return an subsequent defeat of... Him... I find there are still some ponies coping with such drastic changes. So my first question that I ask is: How can I help these ponies more than what I am doing? My next question is more of a... personal one. I find myself able to give advice on love with ease by putting it into practice... not so much. Oh enough beating around the Crystal Berry bush I'll just say it that I'm single as they come. So, how is that I'm so easy to explain love but not have it work for me?

I look forward to hearing your reply and wish you good physical and mental health.

Your Faithful Subject,

Mind Matters

With the letter composed she mailed it and prepared to head to her office.

2qJgRGm.png

The day after posting her ad in the newspapers, Princess Cadence was delighted to find a stack of letters in her private study next morning. A quick scan of a sample of envelope addresses revealed that most of these first letters came from the Crystal Empire itself. That made logical sense to Cadence, since it’d take less than a few hours for any mail from the Empire to reach the Crystal Palace. So later in the afternoon, when her responsibilities were fulfilled for the day, the alicorn found time to sort through the letters and determine which to respond to first.

The first letter to catch her eye was a creamy colored stationary, with an image of crystal berries off in the top right corner. It only took a quick look at the hoofwriting to see that it was obviously the work of a child. What shocked Cadence the most as she read through the letter wasn’t so much the filly’s predicament itself, but rather the knowledge that even youngsters these days were becoming scammers; something the pink mare never remembered happening in either her old elementary school in Roam or Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. The princess would have to chat with her education advisor about this issue.

As for Dealing with Disaster, this is the message for her that she had published in the newspapers:

Dear Dealing with Disaster:

Let’s get one thing straight; you are NOT the weird filly out. It may seem like nopony likes you because the two classmates your teacher keeps grouping you with don’t appreciate you for who you are, but Stinky Sharps and Tortilla Lime Glass are not the only kids in your school. If you ask around, you’ll find that there are many others who’d love to be your friend.

Of course, your problem is that your teacher keeps grouping you with the same two fillies. I’d normally say to ask your teacher to assign you new partners, but I get your feeling that he or she is doing this for a reason. I’d say then that instead of begging to not get paired you up with those fillies, give your teacher a reason to group you with new ponies. Find a classmate or two who are having trouble making friends, and suggest to your teacher that you want to make them feel more welcomed. It will be hard to argue against that sort of reasoning.

If Stinky Sharps and Tortilla Lime Glass keep giving you trouble, always remember to stick up for yourself. YOU are an awesome pony, and never let anypony else tell you otherwise. And believe me, for every Stinky out there who wants to bring you down, there are twenty more ponies who will treat you with kindness and are worthy of your friendship.

Love,

Cady <3

To cheer the filly’s spirits up further, Princess Cadence made sure to draft an invitation to Dealing with Disaster to join her for a playdate at the Crystal Palace for the first weekend of next month. That would be mailed back to the return address written on DD’s envelope. The alicorn grinned as she sent her invitation out in the mail; any adorable filly that asked to meet the princess shall receive.

--------

The next letter to catch Cadence’s attention happened to be from a psychologist. Particularly, their first question was one the princess felt needed to be answered, seeing that she herself played a very important role in the defeat of King Sombra. Even though he had departed from the known world, there of course were still some who still coped with the memories of the Evil King’s dark shadow.

The other question from Mind Matters wouldn’t be as decisively answered, since no information was provided on what he or she was doing to find a special somepony. But the Princess of Love would do her best to provide some tips and encouragement:

Dear Mind Matters:

Make no mistake; the traumas inflicted upon your patients by King Sombra may take many long years before they heal. Even then, the dark memories will never fully go away for many ponies. I know this personally because once in a blue moon, I still end up dreaming about the changeling queen and how she imprisoned me in the crystal mines beneath Canterlot.

Getting back on-topic, remember how King Sombra was defeated? If you immediately say it was because the Crystal Heart was recovered, you’re missing half of the picture. Had my dear friends found the Heart the first thing after they arrived in the Empire, you and your fellow crystal ponies would have not found the light to power the relic. Your spirits needed to be lifted first with the Crystal Faire; through revelry, all of you kindled the will to provide the Crystal Heart with enough life and love to ensure that King Somra never returned to his throne.

Even though it will be a while until the next Crystal Faire, there is still much you can do to lift up the spirits of those still fighting with the Shadow still in their hearts. Find ways to bond with such patients through any fun activity you can think of. Game nights, book discussion clubs, tea parties; any of these, and much more, can be organized by a single pony. The sky’s the limit!

As for you inability to find love, the best advice I can give with the information you provided is to never lose hope. It might take years for you to find your soulmate, but you will find one if you don’t give in to despair. Who knows? You just might find your special somepony when you least suspect it.

Love,

Cady <3

brightstone_zpsbcf47e90.jpg

Bright Stone had been waiting patiently and patiently for it, and then the response came in the newspaper! It made her feel all warm inside as she read the words, and cut the section out and put it in her room always! But that wasn't the end of the wonderfulness! A few days later an INVITATION! Came for her! To meet the Princess! And and and! OH MY CELESTIA!

She squeed! She squeed so loud her mom thought she broke something! She was so happy!

"I'M GONNA MEET THE PRINCESS! I'M GONNA MEET THE CRYSTAL PRINCESS!"

• 3 weeks later...

Presteza had managed to finally visit the crystal empire on her travels. She still had quite a bit to see on the road and lot of styles she needed to master. Despite the mare's fairly consistent upbeat attitude and the presence of a certain flying companion who had taken to hanging from the brim of her hat, Presteza had been feeling a bit lonely. Her faithful Chiropteran companion may be nice company but he wasn't always the most stimulating of conversation.

Upon entering the gates of the Crystal empire she was expecting to be greeted by maybe one or two decent crystal pony folk, but it seemed a paper had beaten them to the punch and promptly collided with her face. Pulling the paper off and pinning it to the ground under her hooves she looked at the first column that drew her eye. The princess ran an advice column? This could certainly be an interesting development.

Galloping to the nearest inn and buying a room for the coming weeks as per usual she found a quill and paper. Taking the Quill in her teeth she began to write down her letter. Her hoof- or in this case toothwriting was a bit sloppy but still legible.

"Dear Cady,

I have been traveling the roads on my own for a long time now on my own. My pet Fruitbat, Fresco is a sweetheart and smart as a whip but he's not much in the way of conversation. I've met quite a few nice stallions ... and mares but I never bother trying to pursue a relationship with any of them because as I said I'm on the road almost constantly and remaining stationery is not an option for me, at least not yet. Lately I have also found some stallions when I visit someplace try to give me flowers. This usually ends badly for them and leaves me mostly-okay entirely- embarrassed because I have allergies to pollen and my magic can surge and/or misfire when I sneeze. Do you have any ideas on how I could get stallions to let up on that and I'd honestly prefer not having to wear a sign around whenever I enter a town.

Equestria's soon to be greatest painter,

Presteza

Ps,

Could I please pain't you sometime? I think you'd make an awesome model!

"

Memory Lane sat splayed out on the faux-leather futon in his private dorm in the School for Gifted Unicorns, sipping from a levitated cup of mint tea as he sorted through the mail and newspapers on the coffee table. Most of it was junk mail or reader letters related to his latest publication, but among them was the latest edition of Equestria Daily- his newspaper of choice, which he wasted no time in perusing.

Most of the paper was the news that Memory Lane came to expect from the publisher- the latest nobility mess-ups, royal edicts, published books, and so on- but something new caught the observant student's eye: an advice column penned by none other than the Crystal Princess herself, Mi Amore Cadenza. Reading the preface brought a small smile to the historian's face; he, more than most ponies, was well aware of what Princess Cadence had endured within the last year alone and the effect it had to have had on her, yet she still wanted to reach out to other ponies with an open heart and willing hoof. An inspiration of a different kind to the aspiring personal historian.

The column itself interested Memory Lane as much as its writer- in part because of its writer. The prefect had been looking for an ear to turn to for advice concerning a particularly troublesome fourth-year student he was having difficulty keeping in check, and he could think of no better source than one of the four Alicorn Princesses who oversaw all of Equestrian kind. He set aside the newspaper and retrieved a set of school stationary- with the School for Gifted Unicorn's name and blazon in the upper right corner-, a quill, and a well of black ink. He took a deep breath to steady his nerves, the weight of who he was writing to starting to get to him. "Simple and to the point, Lane. Simple and to the point." And so he started his letter, in clean telekinetic script.

"Dear Cady,

It is a pleasure to be able to write to you, Princess Cadence. I am a prefect at your aunt's School for Gifted Unicorns, studying Equestrian History, and am presently in my tenth year in the university. Being in such a position of responsibility is troublesome sometimes, as I am responsible for guiding and keeping the younger students in line, but I enjoy the task. There's something magical about playing a role in teaching fresh minds about the world, even in something as minor as giving them directions about this immense school. But, I digress.

Recently, I have had to deal with a... particularly troublesome student, who I shall refer to as "White Noise." This unicorn is amazingly gifted and possesses a lust for life that I envy on occasion, but his behavioral record is absolutely deplorable: he causes mayhem on campus for the sake of fun, vandalizes school property to make a point, and is more hardheaded than anypony I've met in my life. And I, by direct request of the upper administration- one step short from it being a request from Princess Celestia herself-, have to somehow put an end to his antics or write up the paperwork for his expulsion.

Here is my dilemma: I know White Noise, quite well in fact, and I know he does not cause the trouble he does out of any malevolent intent. He wants to live his own life without restraint, but he wouldn't even hurt a fly if it crossed his path. He possesses amazing magical potential, as well- far eclipsing my own and even some of the instructors in his particular specialty. I don't want to be the pony to kick him out of the highest institution in Equestria, but if I cannot somehow get through to him that what he is doing is disrupting the campus, I will be forced to do so.

I humbly ask your advice, Princess Cadence. What do you suggest I do to make him realize that his habits are causing problems and need to be toned down? I have already tried the direct approach, and wound up painted pink for my trouble- not that there's anything wrong with that- so whatever I do has to be more subtle. Subtly isn't my strong suite, but it occurs to me that there are fewer forces in our world more subtle yet powerful than love, so I hope you can help a frustrated friend help another pony today.

Your faithful subject,

Record Books"

As Memory Lane finished reading over the three pages of neat, border-to-border text he had written, he raised his right hoof and applied it firmly to his forehead with a sighed. "Short and to the point. Yeah, right." He muttered to himself, shaking his head. A glance at his clock told him he had no time to re-write it, however; he quickly folded the letter within a school envelope, strapped on his saddlebags, and hurried off to his next class, mailing it along the way.

2qJgRGm.png

More letters kept pouring in after Princess Cadence’s first responses were published all over in the Crystal Empire and Equestrian newspapers. One that she thought worth responding to was from a mare with an… unusual allergy problem. While the solution to the artist’s dilemma was simple enough relatively speaking, Cadence still felt bad for the pony who wasn’t able to enjoy the loveliness of flowers without causing magic problems.

As it looked like the writer of the letter didn’t come with something that sounded like a pseudonym, the princess gave herself the liberty of choosing an appropriate one for her, ensuring the artist’s anonymity remained:

Dear Allergic Artist:

I am sorry to hear about your allergy to pollen. Suffice it to say, you will not need a sign to let everypony else know not to give you flowers. All you have to do is let stallions know that due to your condition, you are unable to accept flowers as gifts. Those ponies that honor your requests have your best interests at heart; those who do not will require a lesson in being considerate to others.

Instead of flowers, ask stallions to offer you with things like chocolates or cards; like flowers, they are cheap to purchase, but it is always the thought behind them that matters most of all (personally, I love snacking on chocolate every now and then). If stallions really want to, you can also encourage them to give you artificial flowers; without pollen, you should be able to accept these gifts without sneezing.

Just remember though that communication is the key. Not being afraid to explain your wishes to potential suitors will make relationships far easier in the long run… and friendships too for that matter.

Love,

Cady <3

PS: All requests to use me as a model for a work of art need to be first filed through the Household Office in the Crystal Palace. This ensures that a proper time and place for a session can be arranged without complication.

--------

The next letter Princess Cadence responded to concerned a more grave matter. Expulsion from a school is something that should never be taken lightly, and the alicorn knew that she'd have to labor carefully this time to provide advice that didn't make things worse. After hours of laboring over a response, Cadence felt she had something that was worth giving to Mr. Record Books:

Dear Record Books:

I’ve dealt with my fair share of problematic cases troublemaking children back in my foalsitter days. As much as I have been tempted to at times to lash out and yell at the habitual delinquents I’ve looked after, I knew that giving in to such negative emotions would, in the end, do nothing but make the child further resentful. As long as you don’t give in to frustration, it will be possible for you to salvage this situation.

Now then, it is quite obvious that there is something lacking in White Noise’s life. Maybe there is something about studying at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns that makes him feel dissatisfied. Maybe he have a craving for attention that causes him to act out. If neither you or the colt’s friends are able to figure out the reason for his behavior, you should seriously consider having him undergo counseling. Sometimes, there are matters that are best addressed by professionals, especially for students at risk of expulsion.

Should counseling not work or is otherwise not an option, perhaps what you will need to do is to get White Noise engaged in more activities outside of his studies. As the old saying goes, idle hooves are Discord’s playthings, and ponies busy with productive activities won’t have the time for committing mischief. In fact, keeping troublemakers occupied with activities they found fun was a fast way for me to establish bonds with even the worst behaved kids I foalsat back in the day.

Whatever happens, I wish the best for both you and White Noise.

Love,

Cady <3

• 1 month later...

Ruby Pinch had written a princess before... but never a foreign princess!

What could she write about...? She had never been to the Crystal Empire, or even met a Crystal Pony. They must be neat!

She tore apart her house (without cleaning it up cuz she was so excited and junk) but she was only able to find one piece of paper that didn't have something written or scribbled on it. She'd have to make this count.

"DeeDear Princess Cadence,

Hi! My name is Ruby Pinch, but my frends call me Pinchy! Whats is it like being a Princess of TWO countries?! Is your palace really made of crystls?!

Aneyway, I'm a filly from Ponyville! It's a super swell place, but I think you know that. Your from Equestria, right? I get confuzed sumtimes sometimes."

So far so good Pinchy. You're nailing this.

"I have so many queschtions!!! But I really just want to say hi, and that I think you're smart and pretty and silly! Were you scared when Prince Armor threw you? That sounded like so much fun! I wish a Prince would throw me at stuff."

Pinchy, this isn't the time to be daydreaming about princes, this is serious! "Right!"

"I wanted to right write you to ask you a bunch of questions, which I already did, but I really wanna know what the Crystle Crystal Empire is like! It's only a mater of time before Miss Cheerilee gives us a report on far away places and stuff, and I wana have an insider's opinion! Hope to hear bake back from you soon, and Ill try to say hi if I see you ever in Ponyville!

Love,

Pinchy"

She made sure to draw little hearts all over it too. Just to make it look pretty. Then she went ahead and stuck that sucker in an envelope and sent it straight to the Crystal Palace!

... Then sat in front of her mailbox as if she were expecting a reply. After about 10 minutes her mother lured her back inside.

"Dear Cady, huh?... I guess it couldn't hurt to ask a princess for her opinion." Thought the silvery grey mare as she looked over the morning paper. Silver Belle's day at the manor was once again severely boring. The school in Canterlot had no need of her services. Her husband was away on R.E.A. business again and her son was in the same boat. Belle's Daughter... well the last she heard of her was in he last letter where she said she was headed to the Crystal empire. Now the Duchess was left only with the company of the waitstaff.

With how slow her day was going it seemed writing a letter was going to be it's highlight whether she liked it or not. After a bit of searching she managed to get some paper and a pencil and began writing down her letter. The mare's writing was neat and flowing script, a writing style that fit a mare of class and grace such as herself.

"Dear Cady,

I am a married mare with a husband in the Royal Equestrian Army and two former foals now out in the world. I have always been rather absorbed in my various magical research and studies and looking back I feel I may not have given enough time to my son and daughter... especially my daughter. Ever since she was a filly she's had trouble manipulating her magic correctly and I feel I should have been able to do more to help her. She seemed to have some of my aptitude for the magic arts I thought and she even inherited a trait from me where our magic acts up whenever we sneeze... despite what she share in common I always find it a bit hard to connect with her even when I love her as much as any mother can love her foal. Nowadays she is on the road getting into all kinds of trouble that worries me to know end in the pursuit of improving her talent. I was wondering should I do some traveling of my own and try and meet her so I can connect with her more or would you have any suggestions that may help me?

There is one other issue I have although I feel it is a bit less notable but somehow no less important. My Husband has moved up in rank since her first joined the army and lately he has not been home as often as I'd prefer. I know he has his duty to our fair country but not having that big stubborn oaf around the ...house makes this place feel really empty. I wonder if he took my (half) joking threat of shaving off that ridiculous mustache of his off literally... I should probably wrap this up before I start ramble on paper.

Sincerely,

'A Bell in Trottingham'"

With some slick manipulation of her telekinesis she folded up the paper and put it in an envelope. After a quick call for a servant to bring the letter to the mailing office it was off to the Princess of love.

• 2 weeks later...
2qJgRGm.png

That was funny, one of the fan letters for Princess Cadence got mixed in with the pile of Dear Cady submissions. Like usual, she only needed a quick glance at all the decorative hearts scattered about the page to inform her that a little filly wrote this. Cadence could never say no to children; with great dispatch, she wrote a reply at once (that didn't get published in the papers):

Dear Pinchy,

Thank you for writing me! To clear things up, I came from Equestria just like you, and I live right now in an actual crystal palace shooting up tall into the sky. It is tough being a princess of both Equestria and the Crystal Empire, but it’s worth it to make the lives of everypony as happy as possible.

I felt really scared when Prince Armor threw me off that balcony, because I knew if I did not catch the falling Crystal Heart before the evil King Sombra did, darkness would have won that day. It is something I never want to do again, and it’s definitely not something a little filly like you should do, unless you want to hurt yourself badly.

As for the Crystal Empire, it is really a magical place. You should come during the Crystal Faire, there are all sorts of fun games and activities there that you will enjoy. At the end, you can see how the crystal ponies rejuvenate the Crystal Heart with light and love. Words cannot describe this amazing sight. You’ll have to see it for yourself.

The next time I visit Ponyville, be sure to say hello to me Pinchy!

Love,

Princess Cadence <3

--------

Something about a letter from “A Bell in Trottingham” rang a few bells for the pink princess. That hoofwriting looked a lot like the one used by that one guest teacher from Celestia’s School, Duchess Silver Belle (her son studied at the school too back when Cadence was enrolled). Belle came from one of the old families like Prince Blueblood did, and her ancestors had lived in Trottingham for generations (another dead giveaway to the writer’s identity). In more recent times, Princess Cadence and the Duchess had met each other at royal functions every now and then, but the alicorn’s knowledge of the other noble’s family life was quite hazy aside that she also had a daughter.

When reading that one bit about sneezing-induced magic accidents, Cadence recalled that Allergic Artist writer who also had that same condition. Come to think of it, the Allergic Artist moved around a lot too. Just maybe the artist and the daughter were one and the same?

Dear A Bell in Trottingham:

As long as you and your daughter are on speaking terms, she will always appreciate you travelling to visit her. Just don’t try to use such occasions to “fix” her, as it were. She is an adult now, and she’s got her own unique path to follow. If this means that she’ll never have the magic talent that you have, then so be it. Once you become comfortable with this face, you just may find yourself having an easier time connecting with your daughter.

Concerning your husband, I of all ponies know what you are going through. I too wish my husband was home more often, but his duties as a captain of the Royal Guard and prince of the Crystal Empire make the time we share together fleeting and precious. I find though that when I enjoy the company of my friends and other ponies, I feel less lonely whenever Shining’s away. So get out of the house and have some fun! Maybe there's someplace in your town that you have never visited before? Do things to spice up your life with excitement!

Love,

Cady <3

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

zyFBukk.jpg

"Dear Princess Cadance of the Crystal Empire,
Greetings, Great Princess Cadance. I am Saffron Massala of Canterlot and now of Ponyville town. I came to this land of Equestria with my father and we opened up a great restaurant, The Tasty Treat. I experienced great success thanks to good friends and hard work, and now we make many bits! But if that was everything that could be said this would be a boring letter, yes? Instead I have made a life change and it is exciting, but not all things are perfect. I have moved to Ponyville to create another Tasty Treat, and do so with some local flavor. Ever since I have moved to Ponyville, I have had difficulty adjusting. They are all so nice here and I would not say it is their fault, but mine, for I think the fault is with my mind.

I am just so used to the hustling and bustling of the cities. All the ponies around all the time, conversations, sights, sounds, smells, inquisitiveness and general activity. But here in Ponyville, everything is so...quiet. Even during the day I feel like there is emptiness in the town. I know logically this is not the case and why this is, simple numbers, but I admit to feeling unease. I am used to the sparkling lights and the glow of major cities. It feels silly, but I sleep now with all my lights on, and a little arcane white noise device near my bed. And when I'm awake, I always feel like I'm rushing the ponyfolk. They've been awfully kind and I feel rude, even if they have said nothing. What do you suggest I do to acclimate to the Ponyville town?

A Subject in Respect,
Saffron Massala

PS- I have enclosed a small bowl of one of my specialties, a nice Rasam just for you! This bowl is specially enchanted to retain warmth and food safety for a week longer than any expiration would suggest, so it should find you fresh and delicious!"

Saffron wrote the letter with the impeccable hoofwriting common in her land's education system, even if her grammar spoke to a foreigner rather than a native-born Equestrian. It was put in an envelope that smelled of bouncing spices and with one too many stamps on it. The bowl containing the soup was hardened and warm to the touch and had Tasty Treat carved into it finely, with the trailing letters speaking to professionalism. Saffron hoped Cadance liked it.

2qJgRGm.png

With a tasty bowl of Rasam lying empty on her table, Princess Cadence went to work on her next Dear Cady response, of which there had been understandably fewer ever since Flurry Heart entered the world. Saffron Massala's name and occupation were familiar to the alicorn, having been told about the pony the last time Twilight had a chance to tell her sister-in-law about her magical friendship adventures. With some introspection, the alicorn had eventually figured out what advice to give Saffron.....

Dear A Subject in Respect:

I am glad for your success in the restaurant industry, and I hope you do well in Ponyville. As you undoubtedly know, it can be hard adjusting to life in a new place. I love my home in the Crystal Empire with all my heart, but even I needed time to acclimate myself after moving away from Canterlot. That said, there are a couple things you can do to get more comfortable with the slower pace of a small town.

First, there are various activities you can try to ease your discontent. Reading, drawing, listening to music, gardening, exercising, meditation...that is just the tip of the iceberg. By doing one of those or more, you will gradually become more used to living without nearby hustle and bustle.

If the above is not for you, then take heart that even away in the cities, there will always be ponies who are full of energy, always going from one thing to another. Seek these ponies out, because being around them will help fill in the void left by a city's commotion... they might very well become your best friends in Ponyville! Don't worry about where to look; everypony knows everypony in a small town.

Love,

Cady <3

PS: your Rasam is absolutely delicious!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

While sitting in his frozen home, Shadow's uncle Rune Writer began to write a letter to Princess Cadance as he drank the age delaying potions he had prepared. Once he had written the letter, he sent it off with a spell. 

Dear Cady: 

I am an older stallion, and have never had a "Special Some Pony" but as hearts and hooves day does not interest me, how would one go about meeting mares? In addition, would mares care that a Unicorn is extending his life through his own magical knowledge? Also, how would one deal with unwanted animals that keep coming around no matter what you do to them, to make them stay gone? 

- Rune Writer,  Magus of the Frozen North. 

2qJgRGm.png

Another day, more letters to read and respond to...

Dear Northern Magus:

Just to get it out of the way, it is never too late to find love! The most important thing you can do is to always be meeting new ponies. Try going to events or join clubs where others share your interests, and you will be sure to find mares you can relate you. If for some reason those options are not feasible, use a dating agency. More ponies rely on them than you think!

As for unwanted critters on your property, consult a pest control specialist. Sadly, I’m not an expert on animals.

Love,

Cady <3

Prince Blueblood was seated at his desk, staring at a blank sheet of stationary.  He'd been arguing with himself over the past half-hour over whether to even write this letter, and now was engaged in a spirited inner debate over what to write in it.  There was a lot going on in his life, a lot that Cadence may really have some useful advice for, but how to explain it?  Especially, how to explain it with the possibility of the letter being published hanging over his head?

In the end, he decided the best thing to do would be to use his own stationary, with his cutie mark and House seal.  Anything he couldn't explain, Cadence could probably fill in the gap, knowing who it came from, without him having to provide too many details.  Right, no more delaying, time to do this...  He levitated a pen, and began to write in a neat script:

Dear Cady,

I've been going through some rather significant changes in my life recently.  Most of them positive, I must say, but frankly they're all overwhelming, taken together.  I know I'm not the person I used to be, and I will admit that's a change for the better, but now I'm beginning to feel that I'm losing control over who I'm becoming.

I guess to start with... I've recently been wrestling with issues of gender identity, whereas I'd never even questioned or been uncomfortable with it before.  I'd just never considered the possibility of being anything other than a stallion.  Thanks to a magical accident, I am now, but the fact that I didn't lose my head over becoming a mare seems to have led certain ponies in my life to think that I must be a mare.  And it doesn't seem to do any sort of good to tell them otherwise, because they just seem to think I'm not right in the head, and therefore they know better than I do what will make me happy!  Is there anything wrong with being both, if one has the power to do so?

I'm just afraid that if things go on too long, I might find myself in no position to argue.  After all, some of those ponies are much more magically powerful than I am, and if it came into their heads to take matters into their own hooves... I just want my decisions to be respected, that's all.

Yours Truly,

Seeking a way through the Blue Waves

He stepped back after finishing the letter.  He honestly hadn't expected it to turn out like that, nor had he admitted to himself before just how... afraid he was of Twilight Sparkle.  Given that he had previously been going to her as a therapist... yeah, that was kind of an issue.  Actually, he should probably get some advice about that too.

P.S.  Do you know a good therapist I can talk through some of these things with?  I'm not quite comfortable with the one I have now.

• Like 2

2qJgRGm.png

.....Cousin Blueblood!? What was he up to writing the Dear Cady column for advice? Once Princess Cadence read the reason why however... she'd admit to feeling a little out of her depth. Blueblood left many things unspoken, but Cadence had been one of the few who had known about Bluebelle since the first, back when the circumstances behind her origin were a secret to most. Due to ruling the Crystal Empire far to the north, the love princess rarely (if ever) visited her cousin in Canterlot. At a time like this, Cadence regretted putting her adoptive family by the wayside...

Dear Way Seeker:

Going through life changes is always daunting, especially when they are really big. Change is never easy, but as with any other challenge, there is always a happy ending at the end if you work for it.

Few people (if any) have ever faced such an unique situation such as yours. However, in my studies on the great mysteries of Love, I have learned a great deal about matters of sex and gender. If we strip away the forces of magic from your life circumstances, what we will find is a pony — like a number of others — who can be described as gender fluid. That is to say, someone whose gender identity can shift between male and female.

Yes, you will encounter many who cannot wrap their heads around the fact that not everypony feels they can only be this or that, but not both. To these ponies, you have to explain that only you can truly know who you are inside, and that all ponies need the freedom to be whoever they are. Once you assert yourself, you will find your life much more controllable, and therefore less overwhelming.

One more thing; you are never alone. Now is the time to embrace wholeheartedly the support of all ponies who love and support you unconditionally. Additionally, you might consider seeking out others similar yourself. You knows? Perhaps one of them is in need of a friend like you!

Love,

Cady <3

PS: If you are ever in the Crystal Empire, might I refer you to Heart Healer? As the resident therapist of the Empire, she has my uttermost respect.

"PSS: I wonder what's going down between Bluey and Twily....?"

• Like 1

It was no surprise that when he got the newspaper again,  Rune read what Cadence had to say to him. Suffice it to say her advice involving the pests as they were Frost Wolves and thus no pony would get rid of them, Rune had tried six different companies recently who had all threatened him with lawsuits for so much as offering the job. It seemed no one was willing to deal with that. Perhaps he needed to hire a mercenary or something in order to rid himself of those pests, or to relocate to warmer climates. Either was going to serve his purposes, but he wasn't sure what path to take. 

"Dear Cady:

I have tried your suggestion about pest control. Suffice to say none of the pest ponies I tried were willing to deal with the problem. In fact, some of them threatened to sue me, but I'm getting ahead of myself. The problem is Frost Wolves, an abnormally large amount of Frost Wolves that my best spells can't hold at bay. As a result of this, I must ask if you have any rooms in your palace that are open, while I pay ponies skilled at....eliminating targets to take a crack at the problem since Pest Ponies are unwilling to get the job done. I've tried at least a dozen by now, they threatened to sue me for even trying to hire them for such a problem. I have enclosed pictures of the damage the Frost Wolves have done to my home. In addition, I've also enclosed something else. A sort of energy booster potion that I made. You might need it if, if your job is anywhere near as stressful as I believe it to be, Princess Cadance." 

- Rune Writer,  Magus of the Frozen North. 

PS: 

I am very curious about your Alicorn Baby, Flurry Heart and would like to meet her some time. 

• 9 months later...

No patrol Feng Yinhaitao had ever undertaken, no icognito mission into dens of villainy, no foray guarding his charge the Empress of Long Guo had ever been as dangerous as what he was about to attempt right now: mail a letter.

And while the contradiction may seen odd at first, there was a very good reason for this disparity of peril.  All the other dangerous things he had done since joining the Imperial Watch had been done so with the full Authority of the Dragon Throne behind them, in legal theory, at least.  This one letter was, if you looked at it in... certain ways, against said authority.  It was by no means hostile, but... well, he doubted that good intentions would hold much weight at his court-martial.  

Thus, the means he employed to send it were necessarily roundabout.  In buying a birthday present for his parents back at home and sister in Long Kong, he would talk to a caribou amber merchant to slip the letter in a package he would deliver down south.  His sister would find this letter in the envelope, along with another one containing instructions about sending it along to the Crystal Empire.  Hopefully, hopefully, these measures would prove enough to escape the ever-watchful eye of the longma's colleagues.  

*And now, the wait...*  His thoughts were somewhat grim on his way home.  Would Princess Cadence receive the letter?  Would she have an answer?  Could he manage to get a paper where the answer was printed?  He didn't know; his only comfort was that only by risking so much could he know.

Dear Princess Cadence,

Please forgive the length of this letter, but my situation is a complicated one, and I feel that I must explain it as thoroughly as possible.  I am currently facing many difficulties related to love, and the situation has quite gotten beyond my capabilities.

To begin with, I have lost my heart to a mare that is far above my station, but one whose presence I am regularly in, as a bodyguard.  After the strain of holding my passion silent proved to be detrimental to my ability to carry out my duties in the proper manner, I confessed to her as discreetly as I possibly could, and was quickly informed that my desires were impossible.

Were it a mere manner of her desiring no relationships at all, or having her heart belong to another, I would have been content to accept her answer.  However, her objection was one of class and duty.  For myself, I do not see how pursuing a loving relationship with a mare I am to protect is in any way in conflict with my duties, and I am a firm believer that merit should determine station, however high the ultimate aim may be.  Given your own marriage, I rather think you sympathize.

From what I understand, she has insecurities stemming from her father’s marrying for love in a manner also regarded as improper, which did not turn out well.  She is also not confident in her position in general, and I fear there are those around her who seek to exploit this lack of confidence for their own ends.  If she gives way in this matter of political matches, it is all too likely that she will find it ever more difficult for her to stand for herself on her own four hooves.

That is my first difficulty.  My second is this: without intending to, I have captured the heart of another member of my love’s household, the healer.  I only recently became aware of this, but apparently ever since I saved her life from bandits during one of my first duty patrols, she has been keeping a place in her heart for me.  I do not currently return her affections, and I do not know if I can.  Given my current situation, however, I’m not sure I can reject her without being a hypocrite.

And on top of both is the third difficulty: the chief cook is a foalhood friend, also harboring affection for me, due to me being a friend during a time when she had no others.  She is also centuries-old fox yokai.  I don’t know what to do.

At this point, I’m at the end of my rope.  I see no path forward without a broken heart at the end of it; and while it may be selfish, I would prefer that the broken heart would not be mine.  I am also honestly afraid of what might happen to me if I don’t handle this well, in more ways than a broken heart.  I fear I might actually not survive if this ends in disaster.

Please give me wisdom to see me through.

Sincerely,

A Guard in Distress

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2qJgRGm.png

Princess Cadence had a real dozy to reply to this time around. This latest predicament could have been lifted from the pages of a romance novel, or so the Love Princess thought once she had read most of the way through.

.....Cadence meant no disrespect, but she erupted into a guffaw when she got to the "centuries-old fox yokai" part. With how most of the Distressed Guard's letter had until then been a straightforward recreation of a romantic story plot, that single yokai detail came out of left field so suddendly that the pink alicorn just couldn't behave herself. Of course, because Flurry Heart had been playing with baby toys next to her mother, she too joined in the laughter because babies liked to laugh.

Right; let's get down to business. Part of Cadence's mind speculated that despite the Long Kong return address, the Distress Guard in reality served his kingdom's Empress in the Imperial Capital. It made sense really; Empress Yuè was perhaps the most eligible bachelorette in the entire world (besides of course Auntie Celestia, but that wasn't a line of thought Cady liked going down). She hadn't been on the Dragon Throne for that long, which fit some of the letter's details. A couple other details also wouldn't have made much sense if the Distressed Guard was just a lackey guarding some random Long Kong heiress.

Now then, here were the major issues Cadence had to grapple with:

1. Assuming her speculation was correct, the Distressed Guard was a member of the infamous Imperial Watch, traditionally given the honor of protecting the Long Guo emperors. From what the Love Princess recollected from reading forbidden romance stories, the Imperial Watcher who falls for a palace maid or royal heiress was one of the oldest tropes out there. Cadence would have to be careful with her response, least somebody across the sea gets wise and causes the Guard to lose his job... or worse.

2. Cadence always wanted to be an optimist when it came to matters of the heart, but she couldn't deny the possibility that the mare who might be Empress Yuè... just plain ole' didn't have romantic feelings for her bodyguard. The alicorn reflected on the life experiences of herself and all her various friends; mares very rarely rejected romantic overtures from stallions (Buck Withers, anypony?) without first softening the blow. As far as such explanations went, "class and duty" objections wouldn't be far fetched at all for a Long Guo royal.

Dear Guard in Distress:

Before talking about crystal palaces, first make it through your first dance together.

.....That is not actually a proverb, but it should be! Shining Armor, now my beloved husband, had to set me straight during our very first dance together at the Fall Formal Gala. We had not known each other for very long, but I was absolutely head over heels for the colt I already considered to be my very special somepony. As I blabbered about how he felt about crystal palaces, Shiny gently suggested that we finish our first dance before talking about palaces.

If you ask my husband about the story of how we first met however, be prepared for an underdog tale of how an outcast colt beat all the odds to win the affections of the most popular filly in school. While that does make for an entertaining story that strokes his ego nowadays, Shining Armor never would have had a chance to begin with if I did not like him back to begin with. What the two of us shared with one another, even back then, was a mutual spark of attraction. No matter what the neighsayers in our social circles said, nothing would stop me from asking out the stallion of my dreams, and no jocks at school were going to stand between Shiny and his one true love.

So now you wonder: what is the point of my story of teenage melodrama? You see, when two hearts wish to be together as one, the love created by that union will not be contained. Love breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers painfully, maybe even dangerously. To put it succinctly: love will find a way.

But for that love to find a way, first there must be that aforementioned spark between one and the other; a sort of chemistry if you will. Something that binds two hearts together. You can form powerful friendships just fine without kindling the fires of passion, and perhaps you can enjoy the pleasures of physical intimacy with nothing more than sparks of attraction, but true love can only exist if both conditions are met. I have known far too many ponies who think they deserve relationships with whoever they crush upon simply because they provide friendship, and likewise I've seen many ponies in relationships breaking up after realizing they barely have anything in common.

Knowing the turmoil you are going through right now, my advice for you would be to first reflect on all those you hold dear in your life. Cherish the connections you have, but do not fall for the trap of putting anyone on a pedestal. At the end of the day, everyone — princesses, queens, and empresses included — are all equine, each of us with our own faults and follies. Be mindful of that, and figure out which relationships have you giving far more love than you are receiving back. If your current life situation makes it hard for you to maintain romantic relationships, maybe put love on the backburner for a little while as you focus instead on improving yourself. It may take time before you find that truly special somebody, but believe me, it will be worth the wait!

One last thing: I would not worry about the mare you protect. Everyone in her position has jitters whenever they first start out. Celestia knows how nervous me and my sister-in-law initinally were after being crowned as princesses! What your charge needs is a chance to prove herself capable, and soon enough she will start feeling comfortable in her own skin. Of course, it will help her to have friends behind her back who unconditionally support her. Regardless of what may come, I hope that you remain one such friend of hers.

Love,

Cady <3

• Like 2

Fortunately for Feng, receiving his reply would not require the same level of convoluted intrigue as sending the original letter.  All he needed to do was have a good reason to be a regular reader of the newspaper in which the "Dear Cady" columns appeared, which the Watcher had established for some time before.  After all, it was good for a member of the Imperial Watch to keep abreast of developments abroad; particularly when he might be accompanying his Empress to those events!

So far, so good.  But when it came to the actual reply itself... well, Feng was rather disappointed, to put it mildly, on his first read-through of the Princess' reply.  *First Dance!?  Do you think the Empress of Long Guo would ever be allowed in a situation where her partners weren't carefully chosen for her by some council of crusty advisers?  'Life circumstances making it difficult to maintain romantic relationships,' to say the bucking the least!  And what about the mares that have fallen for me?  What do I say to them!?*

And so on, until he had cataloged at least one objection to every line in the letter.  Throwing the newspaper against the wall his sleeping mat was laid against, he fell back into a fit of sleep.  The rest served to mellow him, at least, letting his brain rest enough to approach the reply again calmly, seeing if there was anything he could actually get out of what he had been given.  It was honestly hard to blame Cadence for giving general advice not quite suited for his specific situation; after all, he'd carefully written the letter so that said situation would be hidden.  But that still left the question, what was he to do about his situation going forward?

*What do I do?  Why can I not let this problem go; why did I not accept Yue's initial answer as Cadence seems to have interpreted it?*   That was the important question, he realized.  If it was a matter of her simply not having feelings to give back to him, what was his objection?  Of course, the trouble with asking questions like that is that you might get answers.  *Because you don't trust her to tell the truth of her own heart, not to you, or even to herself.*

Well!  That was certainly a problem, one that could well spell trouble, not just for a romance, but even for a particularly close friendship.  This couldn't go on, but what could he do about it?  *The only thing that cleared things up between us before was talking alone; I'll have to look for another opportunity to air this out.  I need... to resolve my own doubt and lack of trust with her.*  So he began to prepare, thinking through how best put his thoughts forward when he next got a chance...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Calder gently picked the writing quill up once more as the glowing color of dancing flames shimer over his face as the fireplace consumes the newest ball of paper he tossed in it. He was running out of ink and paper alike yet here he was in the dark as his fathe- As his friend was asleep. “Why am I even bothering.” He muttered in a hushed whisper as he looks at the new clean sheet of paper before him. What can this Cadence do for him? What can she say that he did not know already know? Was it just his need for validation? Halvard has done plenty of that and more. Maybe it was the need to just ask someone that can understand it more and what better one to ask than this ‘queen of love’ he heard about? Well he has never seen Cadence he has heard about her. Most of all when the visited the pony lands and read a news paper.

What he needed was advice not validation and from this pony he hoped to get some. Calder shut his eyes and went over what he wanted to ask. To many things truly. But all of them had to be asked even if it was to a stranger. “Just… Just do it.” He opens his eyes and puts the quill to paper…

“Hail Mi Amore, daughter of Cadenza.

[The letter was messy, the writing skill was good but the grasp of spelling and grammar was like a young colt. All around the sides of the letter were crossed out words where the writer was trying to spell out words before puting them in the letter. In a few places as well it seemed as if he slipped in to a runic alphabet with a few Long Guo characters mixed in.]

My name is ᚲᛊᚲ and I am caribou bull. I am not very good writing like this for that I very sorry. I ran out of paper doing this all over many times and the fire dies so I just need make do. But I hope you understand this is my- [the letter has many tryings of the word ‘third’ and ‘language’ crossed out where Calder struggled to spell them] and I not use it much where I live. I hope you are willing to help me I hear many stories about you and some call you queen of love. So I ask two things.

1: I came from bad family. I not say details but very bad. But was taken in by other bull. Big and blue he is very good and done more for me than real dad ever have. He is like dad. I wish he was dad. That is thing one I ask. I don’t know how to say or ask such thing, to ask to be more than friend he took of road but be dad. He has done so much good it makes me cry! He make makes me cry good way so much. Never have felt so loved in life and wanted. He is such good bull! [some parts of the letter has the ink messed up from what looks to be tears.] I feel like such bad bull, small and cry like calf but he hugs me when sad and tells me it all ok. No bull ever do that before. No bull ever help me. Care for me. Only hurt me. But to scared to look stupid. I am stupid crippled bull he’d never want son such as me. Fear him turning me away and he never see me as son. I don’t know what to do. I just want to have dad that loves me like him.

Thing 2! This is part of me being just a bad bull as well. I trash at being a bull. This even more hard to ask had to walk away for day! Working on this with new fire. I. I like bulls. Even bull pony! Saw big strong one at docks in morning. Fur wet from work so big and strong. Stare like mare pony at him! What bulls do that? Speaking of mare pony some time I look at one and go ‘wish that was me’ looking so pretty. Than I’d be less bad for looking at bulls yes? Cows and mares look at bulls! Not another bulls. I don’t understand it and been like this long as I live, bull that took me in knows. He say it ok but it hard to feel ok when all life other bulls hurt you for it. Look to long at one and hoof to face. It hurt. Or tossed in sea and made much fun of. I do not understand why I want to be like pretty mare ponies in cute dress and long mane. I am such bad bull. This letter is such mess. I don’t know if you even read this mess. Almost out of paper so I need to just stop.

I forgot you can no read my name I think. It Calder Stormur Carrson. Wish it Halvardson.”

Calder put the letter in the envelope and stared at the mailbox before him. Three days and two of which were just making the blasted thing and even now he wanted to toss it in the fire. This was such a stupid plan and he hated it. She was not going to read that trash, let alone something from a caribou! They sacked her city! She must HATE caribou. She will rip it to shreds and cast cast some dark magic on him so he may never find love… Can she do that? He swallowed and pushed the envelope in to the mailbox. It was done now and he can’t go back.

• 1 month later...

Ever since the 'Dear Cady' advice column had begun, Goldenglow had ate up every article, though she had never quite managed to get up the courage to write a letter herself. The latest issue had her rethinking her stance on it however, as the princess of love answered questions as small as childhood bullies to problems as large as loving someone far above your own status. Certainly that was an immense problem indeed, and reading about the princess answering such tough questions with poise and clarity gave the yellow bat pony the courage she needed to write about her own specific issue, one she had been avoiding for quite some time, and didn't know how to even begin handling in the slightest.

Fluttering from her reading chair over to her writing desk (as if there was any other kind), Goldenglow got out a simple piece of clean, off-white parchment paper, just the right size to be folded into an envelope. It struck the fluffy batpony as odd, that she had this amazing chance to write to the princess of love, basically a celebrity, about anything she wished. Goldenglow had been having troubles with romance for a very long time, despite being young, pretty, and kind. She had a very particular taste for dashing bad boys, and it didn't always turn out well for her. Goldenglow wanted more than anything to find a stallion that could set her heart racing, and start a family with her. And yet, despite these long aching ills, as she took the quill within her teeth, she found herself wishing to write of a far more serious problem, one that the princess wouldn't get as often as simple, petty romance troubles. Goldenglow's romantic malfunction was a problem she could solve on her own without regurgitated 'don't lose hope' advice, but this -- this was bigger.

Golden frowned at the ink pot of ordinary blank ink. She was writing to a princess after all, so she decided to get a little fancy, busting out the reflective metallic gold ink and her wax seal kit, She finally touched her quill to the parchment, holding the edges still with her hooves as she focused on giving the princess neat, easily legible mouth-writing.

Dear Princess Cadence,

I have always believed that you should marry for love, just as you did for Shining Armor. Sadly, my family does not feel the same way. They wanted me to marry somepony who didn't care about me, and they told me it was my duty to the village, and that if i cared for my family or keeping the community together, i should marry a stallion who felt more loyalty to a boat than any mare. The stallion in question did not mind the arranged marriage, but only because he planned on not being faithful to it. On my wedding day, a day that is supposed to be happy, i couldn't bear to go through with it. If i stayed, i'd break my own heart, and if i left i'd be breaking my family's heart, and letting down my community. I couldn't bear to face them, so i ran away from home. I have not spoken to my family in many years, and i miss them terribly. But i am afraid they hate me for what i did, and i fear they may pressure me into the same situation again if i were to meet them.

I am currently living in my own home, and i have a job that makes me very happy helping ponies in need. I want to find my true love, but i want to be the one to decide on who that special somepony is. I am still looking for them now. I don't want to let anypony, not family or a miserable marriage take me away from everything i've worked so hard to build for myself. I really miss my family, and i want to reconnect with them, but i'm very afraid of being labelled as a traitor, or finding out i've been disowned. I really don't know what to do, please help!

Sincerely, Heart of Gold.

Goldenglow gathered the paper in her hooves and read it over as the golden ink had time to dry, frowning at her own words. It all sounded so.... cliche? No, that wasn't the word. Reluctantly, Goldenglow folded up the parchment neatly, slipping it into an envelope and writing the address with the same golden quill. Using her wax seal kit, she poured a circle-sized amount of warm yellow wax onto the center fold of the envelope, sealing it with a stamp custom-made to resemble three pillar candles, her cutie mark and the same insignia she used for all hoofmade candles or beeswax she made and sold. The envelope looked so pretty by the time she was done, that nopony could even guess it's contents were of such an ugly nature.

Before she could give herself time to rethink the whole ordeal, the fluffy yellow batpony quickly flew the letter to her mailbox, racing back inside as if Princess Cadence herself was about to appear before her in a big puff of pink clouds and heart-shaped glitter. She allowed herself a giddy squeal once inside the safety of her small home, she had just written a letter to a PRINCESS! The novelty was sure to stick around in the young mare's mind for the days to come until the next article was published.

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: Been months since my last RP post, so I may be a little rusty. Also, I will only reply to one letter today. The other one will be answered soon enough. ^_^

2qJgRGm.png

The Princess of Love wasn't proud to admit she required the services of a linguist in order to fully translate her latest latter, which came from a caribou bou who by the sounds of it was adopted into Clan Breen. Reading through the message, Mrs. Mi Amore Cadenza couldn't help but recall her mother in Itaily... or to be more precise, how she couldn't recall her at all. It wasn't like Cadence's mom had abandoned her newborn foal in the middle of the woods or anything like that, although the end result was virtually the same. Where was Cadence's mom for her daughter's coronation? Her graduation? Her wedding? The birth of her daughter?

By Celestia, even Cadence's mother-in-law had been far more of a mommy to the mare than her birth mother ever was!

Mommy issues aside, Princess Cadence went to work on her reply to Calder...

Dear Son of Breen:

Although we all have the family we are born with, sometimes it is the family which we choose for ourselves that means the most to our hearts. By the sound of it, you have a loving relationship with the bull you have adopted as a father; a bull who gives constant reminders through his actions of the love he feels for you. The question though is whether you have been giving reminders of your own love. Grand gestures are not needed. Every once in a while, do something nice for your adopted father or offer to do an activity together. Show him with your deeds what he means to you. Always remember that these seemingly insignificant acts have the incredible power to nurture bonds of love — even if the acknowledgement of said love goes unspoken.

As for your second issue, nobody should ever live in fear because of who they are. Every creature in this world is entitled to love and tolerance. Find those you can confide in and tell them of your issues. Harassment of any kind is never acceptable. Most importantly, stay true to yourself and never lose faith that one day you will find a special somebody who will cherish you for who you are.

Love,

Cady <3 

• Like 1

2qJgRGm.png

Once more, Princess Cadence found herself confronted with a letter of a family torn apart.....

Dear Heart of Gold:

I am sorry to hear about what happened between you and your family. While it is true that family differences are sometimes irreconcilable, it is always good to have faith that rifts can eventually be healed. That being said, the road to reconciliation will not be easy. Make no mistake; your family will be grappling with feelings of hurt and betrayal over your decision to leave home, and doubly so if they had no idea about your objections to the arranged marriage. When the time comes, be willing to ask for forgiveness for running away, but do not hesitate to also communicate why you left in the first place.

Reconnecting with your estranged family should be handled delicately. It is best to first send a letter to them that states how you miss them and want to get back in touch. Take things slow and easy, and with time and luck, your family will understand the decisions you have made and will reaffirm their unconditional support you for.

Love,

Cady <3