The Golden Age of Comic Books: A Mutants and Masterminds campaign. Interest and OOC here!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually thought there was a post order for a while as well, and well, admittedly there's not an awful lot Dusty can actively contribute aside from doing said scan of the kitchen while Nightguard questions Cookie Crumbles. Also, thinking on the nest Words of Wisdom for Dusty, so I'll probably have that up soon.

and I hope this didn't die while I was away D:

• 1 month later...

Not dead. Just slow. I curse real life. Mostly for getting in the way of my fake ones.

Also, Overwatch is coming out.

So, a question, for sake of pacing, should I stop speaking in fanciful riddles and strongly hint towards where to go? Or shall you all continue to deduce for a while yet? By all means, ask in-character questions. This IS a comic book and big "BUT HOW?" speech bubbles happen. All the time.

Edit: Please note that "Tomato" is 20's slang for an attractive woman. Tonight's posts have been brought to you by the following:

[media]

[/media]

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also...

Words of Wisdom - The Teachings of Stone Heart #2

"Step -forward- and -then- Strike, don't let your weapon lead you; you'll throw yourself off balance!"

Stone Heart's coaching echoed off the dusty wind of the outer lands, the venerable stallion's hind hooves carrying his form through a dance of dodges, jumps, leans and jukes to move away from the swinging ends of Twin-Iron; Dusty currently training with the massively heavy weapon. 

Dusty's head was coated in his sweat as he tried his hardest to keep up with Stone Heart; his fore legs shaking as the weight of Twin-Iron was getting to him.

"You will never hit me at this rate," the venerable warrior continued; leaning back to avoid a desperate swing from Dusty, "Breath deeply, don't pant, you'll only wear yourself out!" The verbal lashings continued; Stone Heart's fore hooves crossed casually behind his back while dancing about the Twin-Iron's strikes.

Finally, Dusty couldn't continue, and with a heavy grunt he fell to all four hooves and slumped into the earth; Twin-Iron falling unceremoniously to the ground with a heavy THUMP!

Stone Heart looked less than impressed and let out a disgruntled sigh; dropping to his hooves to lean down and coax his pupil back up. "You still have much to learn..."

Dusty himself was growing irritated as he shook his head, looking up toward the aged teacher, "Master ah..." He drew in several pants, "-I can't -hit- ya, ah can barely keep up with ya. How in the hay am ah supposed tuh fight that fast with this thing?" He begrudgingly jabbed a hoof at Twin-Iron's metallic frame, "Ah c'n lift it... but ah ain't a fast pony, Master; ah'm a worker, ah ain't built to move that fast."

Stone Heart again looked displeased, but remained almost eerily calm during his student's angered retort, "And I am old and withered, yet I have swung Twin-Iron faster and with greater ease than you. Do you think your physical form, as earth-kind, is the sole source of your potential?"

Dusty had had quite enough of the cryptic talk for the last month and a half of training, and shook his head, "What are ya talkin' bout?" He rose his voice. 

Stone Heart only sat upon his haunches, reached a singled hoof to clutch at Twin-Iron's form, and within a moment swung it up and over his shoulder with a single fore-leg. "What I mean, Dusty Roads, is that you have yet to grasp the true purpose of my teachings in the slightest. I am not here to train you to become stronger or faster physically... rather, I am here to show you that your body is merely a vessel for the -true- source of your strength."

He let that sit for a moment, Dusty standing silently and waiting... narrowing his gaze to his mentor before finally siting back himself, "What do ya mean?"

Stone set the massive Twin-Iron back down between them, staring down intently upon its frame with a soft exhale through his snout, "It goes back to what I told you before; the legend passed down through our kind back when the tribes first warred against each other. "A power from within," remember? That power is something I have chased to obtain and discover... and what you see of me now is the culmination of my efforts."

The air hung silent for a while, before Stone continued, "Though my body is old and withering, I have kept the strength and fervor that allowed me to come this far in the first place.. that, I believe, is the power our oldest legends speak of."

Dusty's head craned, "Yuh mean.. the power to stay strong?"

"That is only part of it," Stone continued, "But what else this 'power from within' entails I do not know... yet, what I do know is that my strength, my speed, and my stamina have stood the test of time's cruelty. Through sheer will alone my power has not waned... "

His dark grey hoof pressed to Dusty's shoulder, "What I mean to say, Dusty, is that the moment you accept your 'limitations' is the moment you forfeit any chance to break past them. We are more than our bodies, we are capable of so much more than what we are born with... but many lack the will and determination to push themselves beyond what they know."

Dusty just stared.. his body still and his eyes unwavering, before finally his voice broke the silence, "So... what, ah can become stronger just because I wanna be?"

Stone Heart merely grinned, and without a single word his hooves swept up Twin-Iron and tossed it at his student. Dusty's eyes widened as he kept into his hind hooves and hurriedly caught the great weapon in his fore-legs, spinning it around onto his shoulders as he remained upright.

"What in the hay are ya doin'?!" Dusty incredulously questioned his master... though was met with an oddly knowing grin from the venerable Stone Heart.

"For one not "built to be fast", Dusty, you certainly managed to move much swifter, and hold Twin-Iron with much greater ease in that one moment than you have in the near two months prior to it."

Dusty was... silent for the longest moment. His eyes starred at the older stallion as he brought his fore legs back down in front of his bi-pedal stance; holding it still as he looked it over. He felt it's weight return as he struggled to bring it back to his shoulder, but that look of awe was still apparent on his face.

Stone simply nodded, and stood up to match his student's stance, "You have taken a large step in the right direction, Dusty Roads. Now, break time is over; Come at me once more."

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2016 at 1:26 AM, RazorWind said:

Also...

Words of Wisdom - The Teachings of Stone Heart #2

"Step -forward- and -then- Strike, don't let your weapon lead you; you'll throw yourself off balance!"

Stone Heart's coaching echoed off the dusty wind of the outer lands, the venerable stallion's hind hooves carrying his form through a dance of dodges, jumps, leans and jukes to move away from the swinging ends of Twin-Iron; Dusty currently training with the massively heavy weapon. 

Dusty's head was coated in his sweat as he tried his hardest to keep up with Stone Heart; his fore legs shaking as the weight of Twin-Iron was getting to him.

"You will never hit me at this rate," the venerable warrior continued; leaning back to avoid a desperate swing from Dusty, "Breath deeply, don't pant, you'll only wear yourself out!" The verbal lashings continued; Stone Heart's fore hooves crossed casually behind his back while dancing about the Twin-Iron's strikes.

Finally, Dusty couldn't continue, and with a heavy grunt he fell to all four hooves and slumped into the earth; Twin-Iron falling unceremoniously to the ground with a heavy THUMP!

Stone Heart looked less than impressed and let out a disgruntled sigh; dropping to his hooves to lean down and coax his pupil back up. "You still have much to learn..."

Dusty himself was growing irritated as he shook his head, looking up toward the aged teacher, "Master ah..." He drew in several pants, "-I can't -hit- ya, ah can barely keep up with ya. How in the hay am ah supposed tuh fight that fast with this thing?" He begrudgingly jabbed a hoof at Twin-Iron's metallic frame, "Ah c'n lift it... but ah ain't a fast pony, Master; ah'm a worker, ah ain't built to move that fast."

Stone Heart again looked displeased, but remained almost eerily calm during his student's angered retort, "And I am old and withered, yet I have swung Twin-Iron faster and with greater ease than you. Do you think your physical form, as earth-kind, is the sole source of your potential?"

Dusty had had quite enough of the cryptic talk for the last month and a half of training, and shook his head, "What are ya talkin' bout?" He rose his voice. 

Stone Heart only sat upon his haunches, reached a singled hoof to clutch at Twin-Iron's form, and within a moment swung it up and over his shoulder with a single fore-leg. "What I mean, Dusty Roads, is that you have yet to grasp the true purpose of my teachings in the slightest. I am not here to train you to become stronger or faster physically... rather, I am here to show you that your body is merely a vessel for the -true- source of your strength."

He let that sit for a moment, Dusty standing silently and waiting... narrowing his gaze to his mentor before finally siting back himself, "What do ya mean?"

Stone set the massive Twin-Iron back down between them, staring down intently upon its frame with a soft exhale through his snout, "It goes back to what I told you before; the legend passed down through our kind back when the tribes first warred against each other. "A power from within," remember? That power is something I have chased to obtain and discover... and what you see of me now is the culmination of my efforts."

The air hung silent for a while, before Stone continued, "Though my body is old and withering, I have kept the strength and fervor that allowed me to come this far in the first place.. that, I believe, is the power our oldest legends speak of."

Dusty's head craned, "Yuh mean.. the power to stay strong?"

"That is only part of it," Stone continued, "But what else this 'power from within' entails I do not know... yet, what I do know is that my strength, my speed, and my stamina have stood the test of time's cruelty. Through sheer will alone my power has not waned... "

His dark grey hoof pressed to Dusty's shoulder, "What I mean to say, Dusty, is that the moment you accept your 'limitations' is the moment you forfeit any chance to break past them. We are more than our bodies, we are capable of so much more than what we are born with... but many lack the will and determination to push themselves beyond what they know."

Dusty just stared.. his body still and his eyes unwavering, before finally his voice broke the silence, "So... what, ah can become stronger just because I wanna be?"

Stone Heart merely grinned, and without a single word his hooves swept up Twin-Iron and tossed it at his student. Dusty's eyes widened as he kept into his hind hooves and hurriedly caught the great weapon in his fore-legs, spinning it around onto his shoulders as he remained upright.

"What in the hay are ya doin'?!" Dusty incredulously questioned his master... though was met with an oddly knowing grin from the venerable Stone Heart.

"For one not "built to be fast", Dusty, you certainly managed to move much swifter, and hold Twin-Iron with much greater ease in that one moment than you have in the near two months prior to it."

Dusty was... silent for the longest moment. His eyes starred at the older stallion as he brought his fore legs back down in front of his bi-pedal stance; holding it still as he looked it over. He felt it's weight return as he struggled to bring it back to his shoulder, but that look of awe was still apparent on his face.

Stone simply nodded, and stood up to match his student's stance, "You have taken a large step in the right direction, Dusty Roads. Now, break time is over; Come at me once more."

Hot diggity! Thanks for this! I love supplementary material!

Also, guys, this is a good plan and Imma let you finish, but...

Spoiler

If I wasn't so darn lazy, I'd write supplemental material myself.  But Quill Pusher is too tired from government work...

Where is the line drawn between splitting the party and a flanking maneuver?

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2016 at 3:46 PM, PrinceBlueblood said:

If I wasn't so darn lazy, I'd write supplemental material myself.  But Quill Pusher is too tired from government work...

Reveal hidden contents

Where is the line drawn between splitting the party and a flanking maneuver?

Truth be told, I have no idea. And I've played a LOT of table top RPGs.

Also, I promise to check this thread more.

Double also, I would like to give some advanced warning. There IS some BS happening right now. Obviously, it's a trap. But what kind, I shall not say. But when it does happen, the folks it happens to get a hero point. Because I am a benevolent dictator.

Here. Have content. I promise I'm not totally useless.

Mercy Medical Center, Thoroughbred's general hospital, traces its origins back to the city's founding, where the original building was first used as charitable housing for the poor and downtrodden. Living conditions were poor, where filth and disease ran rampant, but it was better than sleeping out in the cold and the rain. It was by grace of a visit from royalty; a Clousdale dignitary by the name of Sweet Mercy traveling to the newly appointed part of the nation, wishing to usher good will and sample local flavor. Instead, she found squalor and suffering. But rather than scoff and judge, she instead rolled up her sleeves and got to work.

While the mare was no physician, she did understand just how far a little tenderness and creature comforts could go. She emptied her bank account, hiring everypony she could get her hooves on; from mainland experts to local laundry ponies, all the while walking from bed to bed, listening to their stories, wiping foreheads, and offering a warm spot of tea to those it seemed like the world had forgotten. And once a patient was back his hooves, she would slap some sense into them, hand them a mop and demand they stop living in their own filth.

Word spread quickly of the little almshouse as it gained a reputation as a house of healing, calling in all walks of life, from the cream of the crop to the bottom of the barrel, as well as the den mother who ran the show, instantly recognizable by the simple gold tiara she wore. It was only indicator of her noble beginnings that she kept. Sweet Mercy made no distinction between the rich or the poor, promising equal care to all who came seeking respite, regardless of their origins.

As the population grew, so did Mercy's hospital, backed by powerful investors who remember a time when they, or their precious families were patients there. In the eyes of Thoroughbred City, she was a savior during hard and desperate times. And so much was she appreciated, that long after her time had passed, the old almshouse was named after her, so that she might remain a beacon of hope for generations to come.

Prancing University is the most recent addition to the campus, training the brightest in the city to build a new future. Most notable is the medical program, but the business programs are gaining steam as well. It's a prestigious hall of learning, requiring either having a lot of money or knowing somepony who has a lot of money to enroll. But the work they do is positive, even though the school has a whole tends to raise their noses at the public Univeristy downtown and the weirdness their 'sciences' tend to attract.

And the first thing you see as you enter these hallowed halls is a statue in memorial. A marble Pegasus with wings spread full, her mane a sea of curls and atop it all, a golden replica of the the tiara that Sweet Mercy never took off.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first big RP on here, the DM also flittered away and I swore I'd never do that. And then I did it. And now, X amount of time later, I hear people are STILL talking about this pipe dream of mine.

I... might try and revive this thing of mine. The main issues. The solo issues.

Half the party just stopped posting and I got tired of mashing F5. Then me being lazy happened. Plus life and...

Ugh. I'm sorry.

• 1 month later...

So. We still have problem. Big problem.

Putting 'Where do I start this' aside for now, let's ask another question. Where do I start this? I can handle this as always, with relatively big posts made... hopefully not sporadically. I can also hit this up in Discord, which I'm in all day anyway. At the very least, adding me there is a nice way to get in contact with me.

Moreover, from the old guard, who is even in? I understand schedules and being in a thousand other things right now.

Archived