Strangers in the City of the Unicorns (Thunderbuck, SteelEagle)

Blueblood

Oh, how delightful this was. The Equestrian she was most invested in had a most peculiar way of approaching this problem. Unlike Heart, who preferred to speak once, issue judgement, and revel in her power(perhaps because none could mount a defense), he instead tried to speak his solution into legitimacy. That and irrelevancies(such as personal experience, a favorite qualifier for Equestrians she was discovering)brought up to bring some sense of play into the proceedings. From Heart Stopper the court would laugh but only because she was large and in charge, and they quite liked their position in court. His attempts at levity drew silence and some expectant coughs.

Then she laughed, and so did they. He deserved that much! "Think of their stations as they answer you, darling," She said, nodding to all involved as Feather Touch surprised her with some flowers. "Thank you, Feather Touch. They are gorgeous," she lied, mostly out of politeness. Like all things grown by anypony other than the Flower Island Beauty Coalition it was dirty and uncouth, but ponies responded poorly to her honesty. What followed next was far more to her liking. She herself was of the mind to punish that gorgeous stallion in ways only she knew how (and he would learn to love) and give that scrumptious little number back to her foppish husband. Shockingly, Father Touch was harder and more in line with her thoughts on the subject than Earth Writer. "Looks like you three have questions to answer! Who enticed who, hmm?"

The mare tried to speak, but the stallion interrupted her. "It was I. I was tending to the Baron's gardens when I saw her. I approached her- she did nothing," he said sternly. The Baron pointed. "See? A miscreant."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Speaking solutions into legitimacy' was as succinct and accurate a description of the real power of journalists as one could get, really.  The power of the printed word to make things seem true official, no matter how absurd on the face of things, was one which the Press exploited for all it was worth.  Earth Writer, for his own part, was a firm believer that persuasion was the best and only real way of asserting one's own will; he was a pony of Words.

Thus, the reaction to his own was... just a little bit discouraging.  He could have sworn there was a cricket somewhere in the palace, filling the damning silences with insolent chirping.  Fortunately, the little bug was drowned out by Heart Stopper, who led the court in relieving mirth.  The stallion let out a breath he didn't know he was holding; in the space of that silence, he had recalled just what consequences his buffoonery might visit upon him should he ever incur the Maretonian's displeasure.  As a pony wishing only to win her favor then, Earth Writer hesitated before retorting to her comments on "remembering station."  He would never have shown such deference at home.

Speaking of home, his fellow-countrypony gave his own opinion, one which did provoke a reply from him.  Feather Touch was probably of a station he could talk to with impunity anyway.  "It shows equal respect for authority whether one seeks justice or asylum.  Both have strong precedent for petitioners, and when they come into conflict, old laws provide less guidance than keen insight into the nature of the situation."  He nodded towards Heart, showing deference to her 'keen insight.'  

The situation did make itself a little clearer with the first of the answered questions.  Despite his senatorial toga, there was little hope of Earth Writer retaining any patrician dignity in the proceedings.  "How many hours a day did it take, I wonder?  For that matter, Baron, how many hours a day did you spend with your wife?"

Feather Touch fell silent. Sitting quietly as he watched. He had said his piece. Though... Earth Writer presented a good point. There were things to consider. Feather Touch did not mind listening. That was half his life's work anyway. However, this being said, Feather had to voice an opinion, "Earth, would you ask the same of a Guard pony back home? Each station comes with sacrifice. For my own, I spend no less than 15 hours a day at work. Often never leaving my place. I rarely get out anymore. Except to go and order more supplies. You, yourself have no real roots. You travel far and wide. When was the last time you sat to just take a break? A day off? A noble has a station to attend. And this requires he or she lose much of their personal time to their duties. A fairer question would be, 'How many of his Free hours did he spend with his wife?'"

Feather Touch descended to the Noble slowly. Giving a polite and low bow the pegasus spoke. "I must admit, I have to side with you. Laws, until they are changed, are the dividing line between savagery and civilization. You have legal claim for the court." Returning to his place, he fell silent again. HE had said too much as it was. He waited, pending the actions of the court. Lady Heart Stopper did not strike him as a fair judge. However, it was not his place to question a ruler in their own lands. He merely stood there, pondering if he could use some of his own tricks to help sooth things over. The flowers were not particularly a hit. Feather could read a pony like a book. She hadn't liked them. But it was the best he could do with his limited funding. 

His mind rolled over to Stormstride. Now there was a mare that could handle any situation. His hoof strayed up to the pendant hidden in his mane. He could feel it, but didn't dare activate it's magic yet. He needed to keep at least ONE ace up his mane. Though... the gem on his neck. That was his trump. The very thing he had come here to make sure got to it's proper owner. And he had let it show now. Maybe it would buy him a little more time. 

Returning his thoughts to the court, he looked at the mare and her secret lover. Feather had always felt that if nothing more marriage was at least supposed to be civil. If you were apt to leave, then at least do it legally before cavorting around like some circus performer. Honestly, the nerve of some ponies to act like they didn't know what vows meant. Though Feather himself had little say there. He barely knew what love really was. Having never been in love before. 

Heart Stopper could just eat up the look on the young harlot's face as she watched her lover increasingly being put on the chopping block. Well, wasn't her story just delightful? Her parents had dreams of nobility so they paid through the nose to send her to a school far above her social standing. She thought she could dare lay eyes on the same colt Heart Stopper had, and she was paying for it a decade plus hence. Heart Stopper had divorced her from her her first husband, divorced her parents, took their property, and forced her to marry with any colt or mare that Heart Stopper thought looked decidedly unkempt and near death. She had been a nurse more than anything, and just watch her youth drain away through hard times!. At least she knew better than to speak up. Heart Stopper had taken her first two foals and kept them sequestered, along with dozens of others, in training facilities. Good behavior sent them to the good programs. Bad behavior sent them to the bad programs. No, the true crime here was a mother who obviously wanted her growing foals to be trained as harem attendants and janitorial staff.

The stallion was unknown to Heart Stopper, but he was obviously some low-class scum. But look at how well spoken and handsome he was! She'd keep him in her harem. Of course he didn't need to be able to partake in any form of his own joy for her to use him, but that was neither here nor there. The window on him ever having children may be closing, but she didn't quite care. Maybe Heart Stopper could let the lovers watch the punishments of the other? That always struck her as an effective deterrent. Seeing that your actions could turn your former lover into a gelding, or that your former lover was now kept under lock and key at a castle for life, could prove wonderful. She'd know; she did it at least once a day. She saw it is a nice form of eugenics- the prettiest, most handsome, most well-heeled and fit moved on. The rest served and vanished from history.

"It was at first sight," The stallion responded. The Baron snorted. "I gave her some time at night. She tended to my needs and I gave her a life far superior to the one she would want otherwise. She is not the most attractive, intelligent, or experienced of my wives," he said, eyeing up the mare, "after this stunt, she'll be lucky if she is ever allowed in public again," he said, as the mare sighed in resignation. In Kastrot, you didn't fight the power. With one Equestrian already dooming her and her lover, it was only a matter of time...

Earth Writer was no stranger to holding court himself, though in a most informal fashion.  Bantering with one pony, laying down the law to another, all in the convivial atmosphere of wine and music.  Now, however, that which could make his silver tongue flow like a fountain was all turned inward and blocking him.  It was, after all, no longer his law that he could lay down, and what he might think of as banter might be taken by another as a duel-worthy insult.  For the first time since coming to Kastrot, the reporter felt a pang of homesickness, which he took out on Feather Touch, as the pegasus was perhaps the only pony here with whom Earth could be completely frank with.

"But of course we have duties.  The point is, neither of us have wives.  And we're not likely to get any unless we can share our work as well as our leisure with them.  A part-time match does nopony any favors.  I myself had a good chance to marry, but I knew it wouldn't be fair to either of us given how little time we could spend together.  So, you can't accuse me of not putting my money where my mouth is."  What such romantic mores would mean to a court where marriage and matching were matters of business and politics, he hardly knew.

In fact, the culture clash was only going to grow stronger, as the Baron let drop casually the fact that the mare was only one wife out of many.  Whatever sympathy Earth Writer had for the strict view of marriage vows were contingent on them being monogamous; 'forsaking all others' and such.  But for an upper-class stallion to hoard pretty mares as if they were nothing but collectibles stung the journalist like a wasp, and burned with all the egalitarianism he had left after spending so much time with Heart Stopper.  It was enough to move him to speak, howsoever above his station.

"What?  Really?  Really?"  The unicorn shot incredulous looks between Feather Touch and the Baron.  "That's not a marriage vow, that's a contract of indentured servitude!"

Feather Touch had let Earth have his words. At which point he raised a hoof. And that soft, gentle voice hit an octave that had barely ever crossed the stallion's lips as those large, wings spread wide in indignation. "Lower your voice Earth Writer!" It was not indignation, but anger that flared in his eyes and nostrils. The pegasus took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "You passed up your chance, then so be it. I'm still waiting on mine." After that flare up, the stallion closed those long, elegant wings again. "Before you speak like that, why don't you try talking to a pony that went through this and got the losing end of it. I have a whole list of ponies I can point you toward. You do not have to like how things here work. But given the standing of this fine gentlecolt, and the given customs of this land, neither you, not I have any right to question how ANY relationship here is made or works." Turning to the Baron, Feather Touch spoke in a much more respectful tone. "Perhaps, my good sir, this situation is beneficial. If the mare understood the conditions, then still stepped away from you... She does not deserve you. Perhaps you can merely let her go, and let her fall under the judgement of Lady Heart Stopper." 

Feather Touch was trying to keep the Baron calm, and guided toward a gentler path. How effective it would be would all depend on if he could keep his temper. With a gentle sigh he put a hoof to the bridge of his nose. rubbing lightly as he tried to think. "My good sir, May I inquire as to how many wives you have? Surely you have more than three or four. And from the way you speak, they must be younger and prettier than her. If she has caused you this grief, let her go. Save yourself trouble and time. LEt her be the problems of another pony. After all, as hard as you work, you should have fewer problems, and much more fun." Well... not the smoothest speech of his life. Feather hoped that would work. That the Baron would just divorce the mare and then the pair could fall under Heart Stopper's sway. 

The shocks continued, both for Earth Writer and Heart Stopper. It didn't come as a surprise that the Equestrian would find the customs of Maretonia unusual, but that just showed the hypocrisy of Equestria as far as she was concerned. You would think a land devoted to love and harmony would find little wrong with the concept of polygamy, but you'd be wrong. They, like most others, had such a limited view of what marriage entailed. Love? Commitment? To some, sure. But in Kastrot marriage meant payment, it meant power, it meant alliances and gifts. As the pony with control over such things, Heart Stopper's domain was as economic and political as it was social and personal. "Come now, Earth Writer. I would think an Equestrian more than most would see the joy in spreading love to those who would take it," she said, putting emphasis on the word love as she raised a glass of wine and drank from it. "Polygamy is legal here in Kastrot- indeed, in all of Maretonia. Just ask all my fathers," she said, much to the amusement of the crowd.

Meanwhile, Feather Touch was shockingly effective in dealing with the Baron. Truth be told, he, like most of his ilk, viewed others as little more than pawns in a game played between the families. He didn't hate the pieces- he rather regarded them as objects and little else. Of his wives, there were two or three that he favored, but the rest were treated well nonetheless. This was a betrayal of a stallion who hadn't mistreated his wife by any great shakes, so what did that say to her character? He didn't know the trials and tribulations of a mare made Heart Stopper's stress doll. As far as he was concerned, she was an uncouth harlot who deserved whatever low-class ruffian wanted to rut her, which was as good as she could offer anyway. "Hmmp. Fine. I release that harlot from my marriage- she is banished from Gem Island, and her property is now mine to distribute, as it was my own money that purchased it! Good day, Madame Heart. I hope to see you at the Riverside Gala," he said, mumbling to himself as he left.

That still left one topic on the table.
"Now now, how shall this stallion be punished? And while the mare has been divorced by my agreement, she still deserves something herself. Come come you two, step on up," she clapped her hooves, ad the two ponies approached to just a few hooves lengths away.
"Earth Writer, Feather Touch, what shall we do about these two, hmm?"

If he were in a calmer mood, if he were in his native land, perhaps Earth Writer might have been perceptive to the nature of Feather Touch's diplomacy.  Especially considering that the pegasus was merely making the point in earnest that the unicorn had thrown out in jest.  But the foreign, intoxicating environment had already dulled his wits, and tainted his thoughts...

*I can't see what he means with this supine attitude.  What's the point of having Equestrians give their views in court if said Equestrians are just going to parrot the party line of Maretonia.  He doesn't have latent native sympathies, so why is he playing up to them-*  His eyes widened in realization, as the obvious explanation occurred to him.  *Heart Stopper!  Of course, he's trying to suck up to her, to win her favor!*  Instantly, the green flames of jealousy were kindled inside his heart.  Never mind, of course, that he could hardly hope to ever have a monopoly upon the mares affections, nor that he really had no means of taking her favor from another.  No, the rational part of his mind no longer was master of him.  But, oh!  How delicious would Heart Stopper find the irony if she knew that the reporter's valuation of his own 'independent opinion' was the very thing now drawing him closer and closer to being merely her hack writer!

Thus, when she addressed him, Earth Writer had no counter-arguments.  He had no desire to give them; only to agree with her, so that he may not lose favor to his travel companion.  "Ah, of course.  There might be legal precedent for herds in my own country, in fact; I simply wished to point out that not everypony has enough love to satisfy that many others.  But send your mother my admiration for being one of the rare few!"

As things stood, it seemed that the Baron had little enough to spare for the one that didn't quite get away, and so took the opportunity to break off there and then.  Which left the situation still problematic, and in need of a resolution.  Like a good hostess, Heart Stopper allowed her two guests deference in giving their opinion first, for all that it mattered.  To Earth Writer though, it mattered quite a lot.  Not so much for the fate of the lovers, as for the favor of the noblemare.

"I must confess ignorance on the conditions and laws surrounding asylum in Kastrot," Earth Writer began, looking at Heart and trying to appear both judicious and un-besotted, in which task he utterly failed.  "But I would think it reasonable to say that before anything else, the two of them owe a debt of gratitude to you for saving them from pure retribution on the part of the baron.  What you would request of them, of course, I cannot say, but I have no doubt that their willingness to extend gratitude will be proportional the graciousness which you have already bestowed upon them."

What that essentially amounted to was carte blanche for Heart Stopper to extract her desired punishment while still appearing to be the paragon of sympathetic mercy.  Whether or not she would thank him for this opportunity to have her cake and eat it too remained to be seen...

Feather Touch sighed inwardly. At least ONE pony was satisfied now. Though, the law still stood. And the pegasus was noticing his companion....had they gone from friends to... mere companions? Was one mare so easily able to come between them like that? A glance at Earth's face told him it was. Oh by the moon it was true. With another inward sigh, the pegasus looked toward the pair standing for their judgement. 

He could suggest any number of things. Any number of things that would likely please Heart Stopper to no end. But a simple thought came to him. "I believe, a proper punishment may already be presenting itself, my lady. If they are so enamored with each other.... let them have each other.... and be banished from here for all time. I would say let them know that they will never be welcomed back here, ever again. That they must be left to their own in a place far off... hmm. If the true test of love is being apart, then it's poison must certainly be the opposite. Leave them to their fates in the wilderness, with only each other to depend upon. How long until that love wilts and dies and one or the other returns, begging your forgiveness? tht is my suggestion, banishment, under pain of imprisonment and enslavement in a harem of your choosing." His tone was simple, honest. Calm to a fault. That poker face of his. Taking a moment to brush a bit of his mane from his face, he began planning his own work here. Returning that gem to its proper owner. Though.... that said, once he was done, would he even be allowed to leave?

While not his best idea, he hoped that at least the pair of lovers would see this as their chance to have a life together. outside the influence of political mayhem. And Feather Touch, while realizing that the last bit he added may be harsh, would serve to at least get the pair of star crossed lovers to understand the gravity of the situation. 

Heart Stopper didn't need to sit down and study the behavior of stallions to see that one of her favorite things anypony ever went through was happening to her little reporter colt. The way he looked at Feather, the way his eyes gleamed, the way he allowed Heart Stopper's to pass by without rebuke. Was he jealous? She swear she could smell it. How many dozens of jealous friends had she seen slowly but surely start to fight over? She had lost count. Actually no, she hadn't, because it was one of her favorite past times: Twelve dozen pairs of friends. Some were now in her harem, assured that they had won. Many others were under lock and key even if they lived outside of her walls, also convinced they had won. Would it happen with these two? They each could be so valuable for her play time in any number of ways. 

They both had such wonderful ideas. Feather Touch had a delightfully sense of cruelty and finality- was Earth Writer sure he had brought a fellow Equestrian along? Certainly had few of the attitudes that came along with it. Banishment wasn't an entirely uncommon punishment. In fact, as you went from Island to Island on the large bridges that connected them, large communities of the Unattached were common sights. Some were banished, others merely poor, none had rights. In fact, a favored past time of some of the crueler noble houses was to have their guards smash these communities and send many into the water, where the nobles could lazily perch on the walkways and practice their archery on the swimming and drowning Unattached. It seemed a waste of time to Heart Stopper, even if she found the sporting aspect of it enticing. Her last Prince Colt had a high score of sixty-seven! He was so experienced with his hooves.

But alas, this stallion was too handsome and the mare simply too much fun breaking to be sent away into the wilderness. The reporter had given her carte blanche and Feather Touch offered some nice ideas. "So many choices that would be appropriate considering the nature of your crimes here, stallion. If you think so rudely with your desires that you would offend a noble and ruin a marriage, perhaps gelding you will set you right. Of course that may be too kind- permanent magical denial may be more in line with your deserved punishment, so that you may learn to overcome your wanton desire. Maybe transformation into a plant? The gardens here need some tending, but not by hooves. I prefer my flowers," she smelled the ones given to her by Feather Touch, "somewhat self-sufficient. You could be a beautiful flower whose roots spread deep and nourish all others, like your love so kindly nourishes this wench. 

I could do more mundane things. My dungeons are not yet full and the prescribed punishment in jailing for your crime is no less than ten years. Banishment is an option. You could make a living with that fine body of yours in the communities of Unattached or anywhere else I'm sure, until disease or violence take your life in a few years. I could skip the middlestallion and simply have you executed for crimes against nobility. I could have you enslaved and sold as part of the criminal class as menial labor. I hear Tarantula Island is building some sort of new nest, and they are running out of laborers fast. All those poisonous spiders, you see. Nasty business that.

So as I assign your real punishment, recognize that in the scope of what I could do, I am in all honesty being very kind to you. I therefore expect a great deal of gratitude as I assign both your punishments- verbally and otherwise. If you have so much love to give and so much physical presence about you, I think I have a perfect role in mind. Stallion: You will be a member of my harem from now until the day you die. You will be assigned a name, a rank, and duties before the day is done. Am I clear?"

The stallion looked stunned, but whether it was relief he wasn't killed or worse or because of the punishment, she couldn't tell. Nor did she care. He walked up to her and bowed. She extended one of her bottom hooves for him to kiss, and he did. "T-thank you, M'lady-" he started, but Heart Stopper used her other bottom hoof to kick him in the horn. He winched. "I am not some wench like your used lover. You are in my Harem now. Try again," she said sternly as he looked at the ground. "...T-thank you. Mistress Heart."

"Better. Now begone with you," she waved him off, and two guards took him. That left the mare, who was on the verge of tears. "Shutter your tears, tart. I will not break up your relationship with him. In fact, you will work close to him, as the full-time royal chambermaid for the entirety of castle, including helping maintain the sewers underneath when requested. You may room with him if you so desire, but his body is now my property. You can have his heart and soul all you want. I just need his body and mind, my dear. Now you will be assigned a name, a rank, and duties before the day is done. Am I clear?" She said. The mare, who was by now crying softly, walked up to Heart Stopper.

It wouldn't be the first time she had found true love and had it torn away by Heart Stopper, nor would it be the first degrading job she had been given. It wouldn't be the last either. Her story was a sad one, and all because she had the audacity to lay eyes on a colt that Heart Stopper didn't even remember- only her grudge against the mare remained. She had already been beaten down, so she accepted that her lot in life was simply this. She kissed the other hoof that was offered. "Yes, Mistress," she said, and was led off.

Heart Stopper clapped.

"Such a good day of work! Seventeen marriages started, twenty-six relationships allowed to begin, and all sorts of fun goodies. Some geldings, some divorces, and that business, but overall I'd say it went well. We're almost done here. Would you two care to tell me what you'd like to do next?"

Had Earth Writer been presented with a bald narrative of this incident a bare week ago, he would have had no trouble in deciding that Feather Touch's advice was the soundest course of poetic justice, Heart Stopper's judgment was the action of an unenlightened tyrant, and perhaps even that his own words were the babblings of a sycophant.  Since then, as he would say, his eyes had been opened by his experiences of the local culture.  Others, such as his pegasus companion, might say that he had been effectively blinded by Heart Stopper's dazzling beauty and charm.

Either way, as he listened to Heart Stopper's sentencing, he couldn't help but feel that it was merciful, practically gracious, in fact.  Particularly towards the stallion; the noblemare didn't strike the reporter as the sort to let just anypony into her harem!  Could it be said that Earth felt a twinge of envy towards him?  Even now, it was unlikely that the journalist would admit it if he had.  And he did feel more than a twinge of sympathy towards the mare, who obviously got the worse plight, even though arguably she was less at fault, being the seduced and not the seducer.  Still, he could hardly speak up for her now, not after giving her new liege-lady carte blanche to do what she pleased and call it kindness.

*Ah, well.  C'est la vie, as they say in Calnais.  Or perhaps c'est l'amour?*  Shrugging it off his own conscience, Earth Writer turned to Heart Stopper as she clapped her conclusion to court.

"It was indeed a most enlightening experience."  The unicorn smiled, mentally kicking himself as he realized that he had neglected to take detailed notes of the last incident.  Oh well, he'd just have to work them out from memory tonight...  "I'm certain all my fellow country-ponies would be equally enthralled; so I think I'll have to spend quite a bit of the evening compiling my notes for the first article.  Or perhaps the first several; it's been a busy day!"  He laughed softly, pulling out his notebook and leafing through it.  Twenty pages packed full of shorthoof, wow.

Feather Touch was more reserved. Giving a low, respectful bow before peaking softly. "If I may, a records office. Old records are often the best place to look for a task such as mine. After that, I think a light meal and then some sleep. I believe i may find a clue as to the owner of this gem." He was respectful in his words. He had seen her form of justice. And so he took it on himself to be as polite as possible to avoid being taken into custody. 

In the back of his mind, his thoughts drifted to his companion. He seemed happy, at least. Feather Touch would never spoil the happiness of another pony. What was more was that Feather was saddened. He had seen that jealousy. And then he saw it again at the end of the sentencing. Heart Stopper was a good show pony. That was certain. But smoke and mirrors ran out of charm after so long. How would Earth react when he found that out? 

• 1 month later...

Of course Equestrians would be intrigued by the events of her court. It would be the first time they'd see leadership that didn't waffle about ineffectually whenever they had things they needed to do. It would be the first time they'd hear about leaders who took charge and administered justice rather than peddle false promises of friendship and harmony. And with the proper wording from her little reporter colt, they'd learn to are and support her court and through it her power in Kastrot would grow. It was as simple as that. So it behooved her greatly to ensure that he had all the tome he needed to gover what he had written and allowed the luxury and sensation of station to give him the proper view of Kastrot. That was the only way to give this beautiful and wonderful city a fair shot, was it not? H certainly had an idea that appealed to her!

But Feather Touch, the surprising little pegasus he was, deserved a bit of a reward for being a good little pony. He had really driven home what needed to be done and yet he was this curious little fellow with a bit of a dark side to him. Well, maybe not dark, just pegasus. He was a pegasus, which made him equal parts funny and alluring to a certain sick demographic in her city. Still, he deserved an award and one where she could direct attentions was all the better. He seemed dead set on his little quest, and why not help him? In the end he would feel better about himself, which was nice. Also helped her make sure he would look and feel better in chains, if she so chose.

"Well, there are ways to make this happen. We can always go to the Records Keep and help you out, Feather. And while we're doing that, I am sure I can help you with your notes, darling," she said, scratching the chin of her little pet/Earth Writer. "Come now, to the Records Keep!"

Earth Writer's chin tingled under Heart Stopper's touch.  Was that some peculiar effect of the soaps she used, or was that simply all in his own psychology?  Did he care, really?  By this time, the only doubts about her that the reporter entertained was whether or not she was a figment of some dream that he was having.  Because really, when he stopped to think about it, wasn't there a whole air of unreality about this place?  It would have made a fantastic sequence in a play, the main character dressed so different from where he was back home, dragged through situations he could never have dared to imagine...

But the mare in front of him was too palpable, too powerful at close range to be a mere figment or fiction.  "Alright!  I may use a few of the records myself; there's always a history buff or two in my readership that appreciates a bit of historical context.  In fact..."  He drew out his notebook as they began to set off.  "Would you mind giving me a quick run-down on your family history while we're on our way?  You know, origins of the House, climb to power, any remarkable incidents, that sort of thing."

Feather Touch gave a deep bow of thanks as he whispered, "Thank you, Your ladyship." Polite as he was, Feather Touch held some sense of caution. He was good at reading ponies. But Heart Stopper had one of the better poker faces he had ever seen. Not that it didnt have the gray lining here or there. But there was nothing solid Feather could go on. He would have to wait until she checked, raised, or folded her hand before he could determine her motives. As they walked, he came to the idea that perhaps...just perhaps there might be multiple owners of this gem. All descendants. If that were the case, he would have to petition the courts to decide for him. what was more was that there was little chance he would be able to track down the proper owner without the help of Heart Stopper's court. 

As they passed a window, the light hit the gem in the amulet. Blasting color and light in all directions for a moment. A dazzling display for certain. But nothing else. It was, after all, just a rock set in metal. Feather Touch knew that. But others seemed to look at it as if it had powers at times. And there was little he could do to change their mind. 

He let Heart Stopper and Earth speak as they traveled. He listened silently. as they came to the Records Keep, the pegasus was somewhat amazed. This.... was much more than he had envisioned. He had pictured a dusty room full or notes. But this was....a library...

She was briefly amused by the sparkling colors, but she had seen it before. No doubt there was some tart in this city whom it belonged to, which meant that it may be a useful tool- and him by extension. Beyond that, wasn't he a polite little flyer? She'd give him to a nice filly who wanted a pretty little bird consort. Speaking of pretty little things, she could feel her reporter;s little heart seemingly contracting and blowing apart at her touch. Aww, how cute could he be? He asked about her story. Her family's story. Oh, what a hoot. As they traveled by royal carriage, she decided to respond. While partially laid out, her nice legs draped over his lap as she snuggled in.

"Oh my dear, what a long story that is!" She laughed, getting comfortable on him. "The Heart Family's origins lay long before the formation of Kastrot itself, when the Unicorns of Maretonia took the burden of raising and lowering the sun on their own. The secret was, however, that only the most powerful unicorns could be summoned to do so, and that it took a lot of you. One could only do it for a few years before one would wither away and lose his or her ability to do so. This meant that somepony had to be in charge...of breeding. Others tried their hoof at it, but failed to produce anything of note. That was because most went for the best and the brightest and simply threw them in randomly together. But the family founder, Bursting Heart, realized the truth of magic.

One's greatest potential could only be unlocked if the heart was in the trim. You had to find two ponies with passion, two ponies with love, two ponies who could make the other better. We now know that a pony's connection to the aether is defined by their aura, and that a pony's aura can fluctuate. You find that pony who sends your heart aflutter and claims your soul with a stare, and your aura will undergo an explosion of possibility. In just a few generations, my family produced families of ponies who would go on to become some of the mightiest Unicorns in the city who could help raise and lower the sun for decades! For our contribution, we were given Royal Status, and ascended to our current place. It has been eons since that fateful few generations, and we are still the power brokers when it comes to the only sources of power that truly matters- love and passion," she said, her tail trailing his leg absentmindedly as she spoke, finishing as she did right in front of the records office.

In just a few trots they were inside the massive facility, which had a somewhat humble exterior. Inside, it stretched down onto the ground. Dozens of various functionaries walked and talked, but the majority sat at desks with large stacks of papers, copying their contents onto other papers.

"This is the hub of history! Every single pony who has lived on Heart Island or passed by, anypony who has lived and all who have died here, their records are here. Every single business transaction that has ever taken place, every development and trial, relationships, school records- everything is here and stored correctly. We pride ourselves on having a very long history and ensuring that each and every pony gets their proper place in our society. We can all count on our history to help lead us, guide us, inform us. We honor our ancestors while at the same time taking pride in how far we've come, and how far the next generation will take us!" She said with only a little fakery tossed in.

The goal of such great record keeping was ensuring that the Heart family could keep track of everypony for genealogy reasons as well as grudge keeping. It was a useful way of keeping what few ponies tried to break the barrier in line. Smudge a few names and legitimate records could be altered to show old crimes long forgotten as new crimes committed recently. Who would support a rabble-rouser who has links to organized crime? Not many. The network of favors and plots helped keep everypony in debt to the family. Their position was secure partially because if they wanted to find a reason to discredit somepony, it would be found. Of course there were a million good moral reasons to keep records, and she hadn't been lying. That didn't mean it didn't exist to benefit the family.

She walked up to one of the several clerks who were writing new documents, clearly reading new reports and submitting them to print for record keeping. "Here you go, Feather Touch. I'm sure the Madame of the Histories here will be more than happy to find what you're looking for," she said, nodding to the mare. The older mare bowed in response and looked up to Feather Touch. "Yes?"

Whether or not the gem had any enchantment, it had that innate magic that all jewels were said to have.  They could inspire fascination, wonder, and greed.  It was thought by some, on the admitted fringes of literary and biological academia, that it was by constant exposure to gems that dragons developed such a cultural propensity to greed that went literally into their very bones.  It was a 'theory which held the field,' which is what academics say of a hypothesis that has been so far paid no attention by serious researchers.

Perhaps Feather Touch's desire to return it was repudiation of the whole theory, anyway.  Or perhaps he was merely greedy for something else?  Who knew.  All these were fascinating considerations, but secondary ones, as far as Earth Writer was concerned.  No, his primary interest was with his own work, or so he would tell himself.  The reality was, no stallion whose lap was occupied by the shapely legs of Heart Stopper had their mind completely on the job.  It was something of a professional triumph that the journalist was still able to note down her family's story, and it was certainly one worth noting, and publishing!  In fact, it should probably go early in the article.  The context would smooth over any lingering unease that normal equestrians would feel after reading about day-to-day life in this island.  To control love was tyrannical, but to cultivate love, well, didn't they have a Princess themselves for that?

"That's quite the story!  I have to admit, though, I'm curious about the details; it sounds as if your family rose from the masses, to hear you tell it.  How did old Bursting Heart get anypony to listen to him?  Or was it that those who did listen had their descendants become so powerful, that they displaced the current elite in a kind of meritocratic revolution?"  Relevant questions, too!  All the greater of a feat given that her tail was now brushing over him as well.  While relevant, they were not exactly hard-hitting or critical, though.  Quite the opposite, he was feeding her opportunities to make herself look good from all angles, and Heart Stopper didn't look like the sort of mare who passed up such opportunities.  What would his aura look like now, a bystander might wonder, now that Earth Writer's passion for his journalistic was being counter-balanced against a new one, defined by strong bias, and yet perhaps capable of giving him more technical and persuasive power than he had yet commanded.  

Soon, the party arrived at the records office.  The unicorn stallion had a healthy respect for the written word, and this place was like finding a busy temple to one's own god in a foreign land.  "This is... by Faust, do you realize how many ponies would eat their own hooves to have such a wealth of primary records to peruse?"  He didn't even know where to begin, if there was anything to be found to help him here.  Perhaps he should focus now on writing what articles he could, before doing deep dives into dusty archives.  Yes, that was probably a sound plan.

Feather gave a polite bow to Heart Stopper before turning to the record's pony. He had managed to keep his own family records book with him. Pulling it from the satchel hidden under those massive wings, he lay it out on a table. Flipping through it, he spoke, "I was looking for records on two pegasi pony. From about 1000 years ago. Who they worked for and where they lived. Here are their names and all I know about them." he spoke softly. His hooves were shaking some. Partly from fear. Partly from excitement. 

Though there was... something gnawing at the back of his mind. An unease that had been developing. Heart Stopper was good. She was able to keep him from reading her like he could almost any pony. But then.... Feather Touch had his own methods. False emotional faces, and the blank poker face he used. A facade to keep his true motives secret. 

And that motive was fairly simple. Return the gem, then get home in one piece. It was as he waited for the records pony to present him with any information available, that he began to realize. The book he held in his hooves was part of this very collection. The markings and etchings had been ripped or scratched off. But the book had the same binding and type of paper that every book he was looking at had. And as that fact dawned on him, his ears began to lower slowly. Was it possible that he was going to have to pay for these ancient crimes himself? Theft of the gem was one thing. But stealing from Heart Stopper's family was another matter entirely. He was only hoping and praying that Heart Stopper didn't notice the book herself. 

She wasn't blind. She saw the binding on the book. So, his forebearers were not just thieves against some random plebeian in the city, but stole from the Heart family themselves, eh? How bold of him to come here then. Or, more likely, ignorant. Equestrians weren't known for their long memories or exceptional understanding of their own family's histories. Even this fellow who was atoning for some paltry sin from ages ago only understood the vaguest elements of the pit of vipers he was trotting into. But, for now, she would allow it to pass. If he did anything to truly offed her then it would be a useful reason that would hold up in any honorable court in Kastrot to have him dealt to her as any other form of property. For now though, she let the revelation go without comment. No need for that to spoil the jovial mood now, right? Later tonight, she would have him arrested. Away from his friend. Process him and his case while Earth Writer was involved elsewhere.

Especially when Earth gave her the opportunity to talk more about her second favorite subject: Her family's proud history. "Well, we didn't come from the masses per se. We were part of the landed class. Which is good because back then nocorn listened to the little ponies of Kastrot. But we were still minor nobility at best, and not highly regarded outside of our quadrant on the island. It was desperation that forced them to look outside of the geneticists of the city. And we weren't the only ones, mind you. A dozen such programs sprung up across the city. Heh. Most were simply pathetic. They knew nothing of love or what made magic so powerful," she got close, her tail trailing along his inner thighs, "it isn't a simple matter of intimate relations, my little Equestrian. It involves far more, and the Heart family always knew that. Simply, we were destined for that program, destined to that success. I don't begrudge other families their roles, mind you. The thing to remember is that every noble family in the city, even if they have lost their way, got here because of something they've done. Our family just happens to have done as well thanks to our quite keen eye for...passion," she said, whispering sultry tones into his ear, her breath hot on his ear.

While this was going on, Madame of the Histories took a gander at the information given to her. She nodded and turned to the vast shelving. Her horn lit and it seemed like the entire library that wasn't the entrance away shifted in front of them. Notably nopony inside seemed to notice or care. It stopped, revealing a new aisle with shelving on both sides filled with books and reports. The Madame led the way, and others followed. She walked maybe thirty seconds in the infinite seeming aisle. Ponies of all sizes (but all unicorns) walked past them. Students in their uniforms studying so quickly that sweat was pouring off of them. Other Madames with records, transcribing to the best of their ability. Older looking guards who were blindfolded, standing as still as statues. Near the end of the aisle she levitated a book with a set of symbols, dates, alphabetical information, and year. She opened it, revealing the target date: date of birth, death, all major events in their life, all purchases made, all relationships failed and successful, employment records and reviews, where they lived, how long they lived their, rental and fee history, stated reasons for coming an going, travel logs, all political views, all minor events, lists of possessions and when they acquired and lost them, and even whole passages filled with what seemed like pointless communication, like conversations and essays written as a child.

The Madame took it, and continued walking. At the end of the aisle looked like another entrance area. She walked through to it. Those who followed felt a sickening barrier close behind them, and they found themselves back at the start of the journey, and the aisle behind them the same as when they entered. The only difference was a small table set up with fine cloth and drink as well as three chairs.

"Come, sit down Feather and read up," Heart said, taking her spot. Another servant, this time an attractive looking colt with a very quick step in the back legs and a desperately frustrated look on his face walked over and poured them drinks, before stopping to kiss their hooves and depart.

"Now tell us all about these ponies, Feather."

There was only so far professionalism could get a pony in the face of a mare like Heart Stopper.  But how could Earth Writer blame her?  She was only being true to her name, especially with her tail curling and swishing around and along his rear thighs.  The reporter's heart had skipped a beat, and his pencil a line, the writing of his shorthoof trembling like his back legs were currently doing.

"Of course."  The Equestrian unicorn tried to keep his breathing steady, something of a losing battle as he felt Heart Stopper's own flow over his twitching ear.  There was no longer any question of pursuit or entrapment at this point; the huntress of hearts had well and truly captured her prey, and now it was only a matter of how long the cat was content to play with her mouse.  At this point, he couldn't muster any more questions, only agreement and diligent notation.  It was what she desired him to do, was it not?  A stoking of passion's fires, in it's own way.

Earth was saved from having to muster conversation, and thus the risk of making a fool of himself in front of her by the return of the Matron, who led Feather and the rest along to the relevant shelves.  It gave the reporter an odd feeling, as if he were seeing actual ponies crammed on the shelves, who would recite their life stories if taken down.  It was, he supposed, a kind of immortality.  Passion lives in the moment, but Love treasures memories.  Ooh, that was a good line!  Better note that down.

As it wasn't exactly usual for Equestrian libraries to serve refreshments, the table caught him off-guard when they came to it, but Earth soon took it in stride.  Of course, why should Heart Stopper be denied the opportunity for enjoying and sharing luxury anywhere in her realm?  He sat down beside her, in spirit as dutiful as her colt servant bearing the drinks, ears attentive for his companion's words.  "Ah, the beginning of the story.  Nice to finally get here, after coming on in media res, as it were."  Earth remarked brightly, taking a sip of the wine.

As Feather Touch took his seat he let out a deep sigh. Satisfaction had for the moment. Opening the book he skimmed along a few pages until he found what he needed. "Housemaid, Name: Cloud Gallop. Mare. Pegasus. Married to Weather worker. Name: Sirrus Trottington. Arranged marriage by request of the master of the house, a one Bluster Cloud." Feather Touch paused. That name. Was it relation to.... His mind swept that thought away for the moment. "Pair sent to Kastrot to be married paired and married. Upon return, both found to be wary of Master and other servants. Three days after, both vanished. Last seen in Kastrot boarding a ship." Returning to the book he brought with him, he opened it to the relevant passage. "Cloud Gallop: Having moved ourselves to Equestria, we found our first site the port. It looked common place enough, though it is strange to me to see Unicorns working along side pegasi and earth pony alike. The sense of calm here makes my new husband uneasy. This gem we have is not rare, but the owner was. It is no doubt we will need to move further inland before long. We have heard tales of Pegasi cities in the clouds. These would be an ideal home, among our own kind. The gem from that land shall become our remembrance. A note of where we came from, and where we shall go. And serve as a warning never to return. It seems strange to keep  our lives recorded in his book as well. However, old customs do not wither so easily as a vine."

Turning the page he spoke softer. "Sirrus Trottington: I have hence changed the name of Trottington to Trotter. This should prove a better means by which to hide ourselves should the nobels dispatch a...messenger. Though I doubt Lord Cloud himself would mind so much. He was always the least concerned with matters. It was by his command that we were wed, but we had been seeing each other secretly for weeks before. Perhaps the old master knew more than he let on. His tone was calm except with other nobles. Chiding them when they cursed we servants of his house. Though, I scarcely understand why. He was not a powerful unicorn. His family line had diminished greatly from their once renown of sorcery to his position as little more than a magistrate for a small corner of Maretonia. I fear it is he that will pay the price for what we have done. What we should never have done. Our goal had been to present the gem to him, that he may bargain for greater power in the land. But once we returned home to the manor, we knew we had done a great disservice to Master Cloud. Perhaps... one day this can be righted. But not so long as Kastrot remains how it is."

Turning the page again, Feather skimmed it over. Reading off names of descendants, marriages, moving from city to city. From cloud to ground and back again. Until it came to his name. "Feather Touch: flightless pegasus by birth. Moved to Canterlot from Cloudsdale. Occupation, Aroma and Massage Therapy." Closing the book he lay it on the table. And put a hoof to his face. One could tell a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Though the words of the book only told that this ancestors had taken the gem, he knew that it hinted the book was from Kastrot at least. Taking a moment to catch his breath he spoke softly. "I believe there would be a record of a gem like this being reported missing from Kastrot. Though a gem like this would only belong to a pony of your standing, my lady. I fear that my ancestors... have stolen this from your own." He took the gem off and gently lay it on the table. Slowly pushing it over to her. It was a clear gem, brilliant, but common place in modern times. Cleanly polished and kept clean and tidy. 

The stallion was calm as he slowly retracted his hoof and sat there. That was one weight off his slender shoulders. The pegasus shifted his wings. They were long and elegant. Enough to make the prettiest of pegasus mares turn green in envy. But they would never support his weight in flight. He come control them wonderfully. Move them, using them in massage or to even fan another pony on a hot day. He looked at them, wondering if that was his punishment. To never feel the wind in his mane like his fellow pegasi. It showed on his face as well. he was... sad. For the first time in many years a sadness crossed his face as a few tears began to well in his eyes. 

• 1 month later...

(My apologies. I had this written out several weeks ago and thought I had posted it!)

Heart Stopper had done well with her little reporter colt, whose hole body seemed to shiver and shake and burn at her every move. That was excellent to see. Even his cute little writing seemed to be less than coherently formed. She would continue playing with him of course- no end in sight. It was her favorite stage of a stallion's life, after all, where at least one of their legs would involuntarily spasm from excitement just by her presence. You could get them to do anything! She'd know because she had. Poor little reporter colt. What would he think of the days before he met her? Some likely viewed them with great desire to return to them. Others thanked the Stars they knew her. The best were those whose memories were too fogged by her actions to know or care that such a time existed!

While she imagined what play could be had with her little colt, she listened to Feather Touch's recitation of what was in the records. It made sense for the most part. The idea that there would be arranged marriages for pegasi might seem odd considering the Unicorn-centric nature of the city, but there were plenty of 'free' pegasi as well as many servants. Servants required arrangement in most families and a stamp of approval from the Hearts was a big deal, even on the other islands. So it made sense that they would get arranged in such a manner, and considering how low a standing they had, why they would be thieves. The lower class WAS, after all, mostly filled with vermin barely fit to see the same sky as Heart Stopper, let alone share history. No matter. Their story came to a close, and Feather reached his own conclusion.

She wasn't as convinced, though. It was unlikely that during the Reign of Flippant Desires that they would have kept important jewels and gems anywhere where a quick snatch and grab would find them. If this was taken from the Heart family, it was no doubt some semi-worthless stones (to nobility at least)out in public view during ceremonies to help the rubes think they were finding some essence of glamor attached to their otherwise listless lives. Heh, what was worth generational regret and fleeing from home- it was possible it was over some small, pointless treasure that the Heart family may not have noticed for a few days. There was only one way to find out.

"Well, let me be the judge of that, Feather Touch. May have been from a Sub-Noble family, or a gift offered for viewing. Madame, fetch me the 33rd Duke of Heart Island's lifetime inventory," she said, waving off the elderly unicorn who went into the hallway. A few moments later, she returned with three large tomes. Heart Stopper levitated them over to herself, then leaned onto her reporter colt as a pillow. "Yes, very comfortable. Don't move, if you could," she said, leafing through all three books at once with her magic while lazily sipping her tea.
She found the truth quickly, but what to say? The Gem was certainly worth a considerable fortune...to them. To a bunch of servants it must have seemed a world-changing amount of money. To the Hearts? It was a theft that was recorded and lamented in a single journal entry then forgotten. They had immense volumes of treasures and gifts owing to their position and this gem, while valuable, was no great loss.

Of course he didn't need to know that. She continued flipping through the books and pretending to read, though none of the information mattered. What mattered was what she wanted them to think. The theft of such a gem back then would have had a terrible punishment. But now? There was probably a fine involved. Maybe a few months as a slave. But if she told them it was a much more important gem...the possibilities were endless. He looked like he had good breeding potential, and having healthy pegasus foals to barter could always aid her in negotiations.

"Hmm...this was an important gem to the Good Duke. My my, your ancestors must have been very effective thieves," she said, emphasizing the final word. She then put her books down. "I'll consider how best to punish you later, Feather Touch. After that gem is back where it belongs, of course."

There is a power in primary records to imbue a story with more force than all the art an author's pencil could give it.  Had Earth Writer had to write an article about the history of the gem's theft, he would of course have re-written the narrative in a more cohesive form, not broken up by entries and dates.  The degree of detail and dramatic license would have varied depending upon the publication that was actually buying the work, of course.  Nevertheless, he couldn't deny that he would be tempted to simply copy the quotes as they were being spoken to him, to let the readers be brought on the same journey that he was.  He ultimately decided against doing that, however; at least half the power in the words came from the fact that it was Feather Touch himself reading them, and the written word cannot convey that level of weight and association.

Earth Writer was equally powerless to convey the weight, warmth, and softness of Heart Stopper's body leaning across his!  True to her request, he stiffened his muscles, particularly his legs, in order to halt any incipient tremblings that might disturb her perch.  Compliant journalists were often mocked as the hoofstools of the powerful, and Earth had done his share of the mocking.  And yet, when the chips were down, here he was, being literally furniture for a Kastrotian noble.  What next?  Would he be demoted to doormat through an ill-considered twitch?  Or, perhaps, promoted to credenza or (please Faust) a bedpillow?

These thoughts buzzed around his head in a warm, pink swarm, words from the outside swimming in through it.  He caught that the theft was apparently a serious one, and that it was indeed Heart Stopper who had inherited the right to call in the debt and punish.  And the reporter had just spent a day standing by her while she was rendering judgments...

He shot his fellow Equestrian a sympathetic look, but didn't open his mouth to object.  How could he?  Feather Touch had made his own decision; his ancestors had gotten away with the theft, but he had chosen to right the wrong and receive the punishment.  Not, perhaps, the wisest decision the pegasus had ever made.  "I... hope, Heart Stopper, that you will take the fact that it was only his decision that could have possibly restored the gem into consideration."  It was... harder to speak up for his fellow citizen than he thought it would be, but the unicorn owed his companion at least that.

Feather Touch had known this was coming from the moment he stepped onto the docks. He nodded with a gentle sigh, "Yes, My Lady." he didn't make eye contact. The pegasus figured it would be fines, imprisonment, and likely being sold as a slave. Those things he was already prepared to handle. And could easily have a message sent to Canterlot to have his place of business cleaned out and shipped to him. He was semi-wealthy. At least to the residents in the middle class section of the city. He just never really spent bits he didn't need to spend. 

If he was sold as a slave he could at least provide some service to his new master. And Kastrot had several herbs and flowers that were hard to get in Equestria. A few of which could easily placate even the most angry of ponies if used right. He was so wrapped up in thought, that he barely realized he was idly moving his wings. Slowly raising them to their full spread, more than twice his body length. The feathers much larger than the standard pegasus. These wings would have looked more at home on a small Allicorn. But the Pegasus continued to stretch and flex his wings idly. He was tapping the large feathers with a hoof as his mind wandered his predicament. Each and every movement of his wings was precise. Full control of them. Though one could see why he was flightless now. The main joints were thin, and gently popped when he stretched them all the way out. The bones of his wings were too thin and frail. And he knew all it would take was the wrong move and those bones would break painfully. 

Her reporter colt responded as well as she could have dreamed, simply accepting his position. What a nice little colt he was well, well breed and heeled. She could certainly find many uses for him, and no doubt he would learn to enjoy it even more than he was now. Such was the key, after all. She could simply stop here and be ensured of some loyal head-fogging for a while, trapped as he was in her web of sensual sensation, but that didn't fit well with her plans. She needed him so far gone and so utterly enraptured with her that his mind was more or less a Heart Stopper shaped glob of goo molded into whatever shape she needed it to be in. One that was most agreeable with the position of her family, in any case.

He spoke up in defense of his feathered friend and she would agree with what he said. He did show a measure of courage and honesty in coming here to make amends for the sins of the past but who would she be to not punish crime? In Kastrot, blood ran thicker than the thin strands of time, dripping off of it to stain the pages of history written and unwritten. An affront in ages past was as transgressive an action as one committed in living memory, and you didn't maintain your power in this city without remembering the past misdeeds of others and cashing in on karmic balancing without end or defense. Still, one could make up for blood-sins and coming to confront them spoke well in Feather's favor. "My justice shall, as always, be very fair to all involved, Earth Writer," she said reprovingly, using his full name, "and will not forget his recent actions."

Or his form. As a potential resource she saw both advantages and disadvantages to his large yet crippled wings. The size would be a great boon to many who wanted to show off a prize. Some would prefer more standard wings, but to those his gift would be lost. His lack of flight would vex others- caring for the disabled slaves was a drain on the attentions that could be paid for others. Then again, still a few would be interested even then as it made him easier to track. And who didn't like to see a pathetic specimen of an already pathetic species of flying rat? Her options for him were many regardless. Who could say what she would have done to him? "Regardless my lovelies, perhaps we should rest a bit. Get something to eat and lodge for the night. That would be a great time to start work, would it not Earthy?" She asked, allowing him the affection of a pet name to soothe over her earlier reproving tone.

Archived