Zeig

kIhTEuu.png

Roleplay Type: WoE

Name: Dawnguard

Sex: Male

Species: Pegasus

Eye colour: Light blue

Coat: Pure white

Mane/Tail: A strong golden color, almost as vivid as the armor he wears.

Physique: A little taller and muscular than the average Pegasus, Dawnguard inherited his parent's excellent physical conditions. He has an athletic build that identifies him as somepony who regularly keeps their body fit and in shape, though his features are still rather coltish in nature.

Residence: Formerly his family's villa in Stalliongrad, but as a somewhat recent addition into the REA, Dawnguard is stationed in Canterlot for his training, and is often deployed to other training facilities throughout Equestria.

Cutie Mark: A yellow sun with a portion of it darkened to imitate nighttime, representative of night turning into morning.

Dawnguard grew up in a relatively happy and healthy home, never wanting for attention or care as his mother and his grandparents were always ready to provide him with both, but one figure remained conspicuously absent in the young colt's life. Dawnguard's father, a high ranking member in the REA, had duties that kept him from visiting home very often, causing a rift between him and his son.

As a young colt, Dawnguard accepted his mother's explanations about responsibilities and duties, but as he grew older, those explanations festered and shriveled with each visit that left everything to be desired. It soon became a bitter resentment for the missing father figure who seemed to have no time for his own family, who cared too much about his stupid work with his stupid guards friends in stupid Canterlot, and even Dawnguard's mother failed to dislodge that growing disgruntlement.

But seemingly all of a sudden, news reached Stalliongrad of a Changeling attack on Canterlot, one that had almost ended with the fall of Princess Celestia. All of his family was stunned, but none more than Dawnguard as further word reached them specifically, regaling tales of a dark grey Pegasus who had rallied the guard and kept order among panicked citizens, potentially saving hundreds of lives in the process.

Dawnguard was stunned, finally realizing that the 'stupid work' that had kept his father away from the family had also saved pony lives. All the resentment that had festered inside seemingly dissipated at once, humbling the young Pegasus. It was, however, a revelation for him, one that ignited a new fire to replace the bitterness in his heart to take action, to help solve the problems that kept his father busy and estranged. His cutie mark appeared then and there, which was all the indication Dawnguard needed to start on his new path.

Unique Traits: As he is more physically adept than the average Pegasus, Dawnguard suffers in the flying department. He is not a precision flyer, having particular trouble maneuvering in tight quarters, and a slow reaction time in correcting his flight path. He is geared more towards endurance flying, allowing him an easier time making long journeys across Equestria and flying through inclement weather.

The ribbon that Dawnguard keeps wrapped around the base of his ceremonial spear is not, despite its placement, a token from a marefriend. It was a gift given to him by one of his sisters, right before he left to join the royal army.

History: Though they came from Stalliongrad, Dawnguard's family was not part of the upper crust of society. The second youngest sibling between three daughters and one son, the young colt was born to two loving Pegasi, and grew up with hardly a care in the world. As a relatively new family with new foals to take care of, chaos was to be expected, but the family grew up healthy and whole, and Dawnguard's family was the picture of the Equestrian dream.

That soon changed when his father Pummel, a member of the REA, began regularly leaving the family to return back to his work, leaving his wife and children behind. To the young colt, the rare visits his father paid were too few and too far in between. Dawnguard grew closer to his mother and siblings as a result, but even she began to become more active in her work as newly named Treasurer of Stalliongrad. The Pegasus instead turned to his school activities and friends, though he didn't take to scholarly pursuits all that well.

The appearance of his cutie mark and newly reformed feelings for his father, however, changed everything for Dawnguard, prompting an immediate shift in his goals and aspirations. Dawnguard began applying himself to his schooling, intent on margin passable grades in order to be accepted into the REA. His persistence paid off, and Dawnguard was almost out the door of his home without looking back. His mother persuaded the eager Pegasus to wait a few extra days however, in order to bid a proper farewell to his family. Dawnguard (reluctantly) agreed and spent those few days giving his goodbyes, but soon enough he was heading off to Canterlot, with a single duffle bag on one shoulder and the aspirations of his foalhood on the other.

Any lofty dreams of grandeur and dramatic rescues, however, were thoroughly dashed by drill sergeants and training routines so intense, it was probably only thanks to his exercise-crazy mother that he managed to keep up. Though he was disappointed that he wouldn't get to immediately dive into the Everfree Forest to battle some hydras, Dawnguard persevered, finding his stride and place within the army. As of the present, the Pegasus has just recently been promoted to Private First Class, a rank he carries with great pride - and hopefully, just the first of many.

Character Personality: Above all else, a pony would be hard pressed to find a stallion as genuine as Dawnguard. Eager, sincere, and passionate, the white Pegasus showcases everything he has on his hooves, and keeps nothing hidden up his sleeves. He shares his secrets as easily as he shares his dreams, lofty and grandiose as they are, and has no problem speaking up. It is obvious that Dawnguard holds some subjects close to his heart, as he is a very passionate pony who can easily get worked up given the right prodding. Eager to both please and make himself known, Dawnguard is quick to volunteer for an assignment or help somepony out, especially if they appear in any way victimized. His desire to bring wrongs to right seemingly give Dawnguard more energy than the sun gives Equestria, and the Pegasus will not sit down and sit out for anything less than four broken legs.

Given his dreams of becoming a high ranking REA officer like his father, it is perhaps not surprising how passionately Dawnguard views his job. He despises law-breaking on any level, believing no pony has any excuse to skirt around the law in a country like Equestria, and is quick to pin-point potential law-breakers. Dawnguard is so ardent about his desire to bring order to chaos and right wrongs, that he can sometimes take his defense of Equestria to ridiculous and unrealistic proportions, requesting Unicorn-powered electric fences around Equestria's borders or attempting to scold a pedestrian for jaywalking. As a very energetic and active stallion, he is also still struggling to get used to the REA's policy of "peace before violence" when dealing with citizen concerns, and more often than not, foregoes an attempt to stand down a criminal in favor of forcibly bringing them to justice.

The Pegasus, for all his sincerity in wanting to promote a better lifestyle for Equestrian citizens, also has very black and white outlooks on life - a thief is a thief, no matter why they may be stealing. This clear-cut moral line has romanticized the army in Dawngaurd's eyes, to the embarrassment of his bunk mates - Dawnguard behaves and treats others as if he is a knight in shining armor, often speaking in flowery or poetic language or using archaic terms to express his views. The Pegasus even named his ceremonial spear the day after receiving it, treating it both as a real weapon and as an extension of his "righteous fury brought forth to deliver my swift and powerful retribution!" He often expresses this passion as if it were a tangible force to be reckoned with, warning others that his "spear hoof" cannot be contained, or that fear only makes the bloodlust of his spear grow stronger. Dawnguard is aware that his behavior is dramatic and sometimes frowned upon, and being called out on it will usually give him pause for a while - at least until the fury that is his righteous quest for justice can no longer be contained.

Regardless of his ardent tendency to behave so dramatically, Dawnguard is an affable stallion who has little trouble getting to know others and make friends. The Pegasus generally has positive relationships in his life, though the one with his father is strained. Dawnguard no longer resents his father, but neither does he exactly know who his father is. Everything about the older stallion boils down to his title and rank - Dawnguard can recite his father's military accomplishments by heart, but doesn't know who the stallion's favorite singer is, or what he likes to do in his spare time. Worse still, the Pegasus easily accepts these congruencies, believing them to be normal for families with active duty members. Still, it is obvious to anypony with eyes that Dawngaurd respects his father and reveres him as a hero of Equestria, even if he chooses to salute the other stallion rather than shake hooves.

Character Summary: Despite his over-the-top behavior and overly passionate desire to wage war on all things evil, Dawnguard is a genuine pony who wants to see Equestria made better for EveryDay sir and ma'am. Eager to bring wrong-doers and evil to justice, the Pegasus is all too ready to take to the field to fight some dragons and haul in some WRAITH members. Hopefully his time in the REA will temper his dreams of glory and action into wisdom and peace - until then, ponies will simply have to suffer his "righteous fury".

[[ Relationship to General Pummel has been approved by Bellosh, though he might request some changes be made to the app. ]]

As the RPer of Dawnguard's father, I just have some details I'd like to clear up first:

1. Approx. how old was Dawnguard when the changelings invaded Canterlot? For the timeline to work out correctly, he would had to have lived through a significant portion of his adolescence at that time in order to reach an eligible age to be an officer in the present day.

2. Prospective officers don't "enlist" and go off to 2-month basic training. An officer cadet like Dawnguard would have the option of attending a multi-year military academy or enter into a ROTC program at a civilian college. Officer training takes time; Dawnguard would need to be past his adolescence before being able to enter an officer training program.

3. Perhaps one way of sorting out the timeline issues is to actually have Dawnguard start out within the enlisted ranks. Assuming he enters a JROTC program (its like ROTC, but for adolescents) right after earning his mark, once he's old enough to enlist, he'd then enter the REA with a higher enlisted rank (like Corporal) than the usual recruit. If he shows especially great promise in a leadership position, he'd probably earn a quick promotion to Sergeant. If you see Dawnguard as somepony who's more interested in doing hooves-on work than taking command, then I'd suggest that the enlisted ranks are a better place for him to start out than the officer corp.

Here's how enlisted ranks look, BTW: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:US_enlisted_ranks

PS: Dawnguard's father won't be disappointed if his son is an enlisted stallion instead of an officer. 

4. Pummel would not have been promoted to General until relatively recently, just to let you know.

----------

Of course, the easiest way to solve these continuity issues would be to move the moment of cutie mark acquisition to an earlier point in time. However, I do like your current cutie mark story as is, along with the rest of this app. So it looks like you have a tough choice before you. :P

I like the cutie mark story, and think it works best as a major and life-threatening event that would have propelled the General to superstar status in Dawnguard's eyes. I'm going to keep it as is, but change him to the enlisted rank to Pvt. First Class. I want Dawnguard to be young, wide-eyed, and pretty clueless about the way life works, a real newbie, so I think changing him to the enlisted ranks works best. I think he's also not going to be real leadership material, even if he thinks he one day will be - I like the idea of him really being a follower. Prompt "Yes sir!"s all around~

So basically...I think the way it works out now, is that Dawnguard would have gotten his cutie mark pretty late in his youth, right before adulthood, finished up his civilian schooling (maybe joined a JROTC program, but joined it late so he couldn't advance very far - or was just involved in ROTC clubs/activities at his school), then immediately enlisted in the army as a Private. How's that work out with Pummel's timeline?

If I may, that checks out with me.

When I was in college I was in ROTC, but never got a commission contract due to inadequate grades, so I enlisted. I was still involved in military science classes, clubs, and training though.

Archived