Doctor Watkins Lovejoy

Jabberwock

G0Ez1zg.png

I'm Tired of this Human Duet

Name: Doctor Watkins Lovejoy, often just called Dr.Lovejoy, or Lovejoy if the title is dropped in casual conversation.
Species: Unicorn
Eye colour: A soft mustard yellow, they used to be so kind, but now they only reflect a strange, unhinged malice masked behind a mock friendliness. Many sleepless nights have made their mark, judging by the dark circles and sometimes bloodshot tinge.
Character colour: His pelt is white as snow, though a bit on the dingy side now.
Mane/Tail/Other: A drab and lifeless Carmine, to compare it to the color of dried blood would not be far off. It is incredibly unkempt and disheveled, and the stallion is clearly in need of a trim. He has a goatee and overgrown sideburns that sport a shade darker than his mane.
Physique: Gaunt, tall, like a skeleton that someone decided to wrap a pony costume around. He has long since given up on caring for himself, and it is clear that only the bare minimum effort is put into his body. He is very easily tired out, becoming wheezy and out of breath even after only a short sprint. He can always be seen wearing a stately and professional looking black lab coat, or a snappy vest, a weak attempt at looking at least mildly presentable.

No civilizing hides

Residence: He once called Vanhoover his home, but after the accident, he moved to a remote location somewhere between his hometown and Ponyville, near the mouth of the Everfree. He appreciates his privacy, but often makes his way into the town when the need arises.
Occupation: Lovejoy is a scientist first and foremost, and a doctor. He was making remarkable breakthroughs in magical pony prosthetics and replacement limbs, his end goal was to one day create working wings for pegasi who were crippled from flight, or replacement horns for unicorns. Now he has turned to much darker magics, walking a much more sinister path of necromancy and splicing. He obsessively claws towards his new calling. To create an artificial alicorn.
Cutie Mark: Though it has been marred and is nearly unrecognizable, Lovejoy's cutie mark was once a symbol that spoke volumes of who he was. His cutie mark is, was, a collection of hearts, symbolizing his love and adoration for ponies of all types, his need to help those who felt hopeless and without any other option. After the incident, it became a cruel and mocking reminder of the crimes he committed, the pony he once was. He wanted nothing more to rid himself of the sneering mark. So he did, as best he could.
Unique Traits: He specializes in a fairly advanced kind of magic that was half learned from old tomes about Necromancy, and half his own invention. The magic he uses is a kind of transfiguration that 'splices' the victim's together. He intended the spell to become a method for creating an alicorn, but his magic is deeply flawed and nothing ever comes of it but a hideous monster. In reality, his spells could never actually create a living alicorn, only horrific mockeries of the gracious creatures. He is, however, persistent in his trials, convinced to an almost obsessive level that he can succeed.

Our animal impulses

History: Once upon a time, there was a stallion loved by many. He had a loving son, an adoring wife, a cozy little house by a calm and serene river. The stallion was a scientist who wanted nothing more than to make the world a beautiful place by helping as many ponies as he could. So he did, he created custom prosthetics for many ponies, endowed with magic that made them work as if real. He longed to give flightless pegasi the chance to touch the sky, or hornless unicorns the chance to once again feel the rush of magic as they cast their first spell. And with his brilliant mind, he almost made it. He would have.

But then the Changelings attacked Canterlot. And the stallion loved by so many grew afraid. The ruler of Equestria had nearly fallen, bested by the queen, the stallion grew more afraid. What if she had been? What if Equestria lost both of the princesses? Who would raise the sun, who would lower the moon? The scared stallion's mind became very sick, invasive thoughts wormed their way through his mind, his smiles became less sincere, his eyes became less kind. His wife and son who loved him very much grew afraid as well. He smiled less and less, and locked himself away for long periods, invasive thoughts became ideas.

How hard could it be, thought the scared and sick stallion, what more are they than a unicorn and a pegasus, but we need a earth pony as well. He spent a lot of time locked away in his study, researching, books lost and thought destroyed, His wife and son grew more afraid, for him and for themselves, but mostly for themselves. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day when he committed the darkest crime, he thought he had it figured out, he though it would be easy. But the creature that writhed for seconds before failing was not what he had imagined, a twisting mess of unicorn and pegasus, wife and son.

The fire that broke out started in the study, the stallion cried, his family had been trapped in the blaze, and now he had nothing. He moved away from the town that held so many happy, horrible memories, into a house that stretched further underground than it did above, he felt fortunate that he'd found a place with such an expansive storage, it must have been a shop at some point. He remains there now, a lonely, sad, scared unicorn. Cursing and thanking the stars that his vile deed was not discovered, pleased that he can continue his sinister work, but wishing more than anything for a release from the personal Tartarus he has made for himself.
Character Personality: Lovejoy is not introverted, no, not by any means. He is a wildly social creature, he used to be filled to the brim with love and adoration for everyone around him. He was giving, kind, and vastly selfless. He wanted to make the world a better place, and did his best to spread smiles anywhere he went. To call him a saint would be an understatement, truly there was not a wicked bone in the stallion's body. But time and fear can break even the strongest of souls. And his own breaking was devastating, a calamitous earthquake that shifted his entire sense of self on its axis.

He still longs to be a social creature, and often drags himself out of his hole to attempt a social life, but his smiles are unnerving, friendly but clearly cracked, his eyes are sad, drooping, lacking the bright fire of love they once held. He is haunted, paranoid, inquisitive. He thirsts for knowledge and will do absolutely anything to obtain it, suffering from an almost compulsive need to experiment and learn, often at the expense of travelers who venture a little too close to the strange home near the Everfree. There is no shortage of ponies with a brave spark of adventure in their hearts, and his outward presence of amiability puts most at ease, and for those not fooled by his smile and gentle words, there is always a way.

He vows never to harm a pony within the city limits, a hurting them would be like hurting his family, a crime he never wants to commit again. He seems to get along well with the ponies of Vanhoover, who find him agreeable if not a little kooky. They only see a sad stallion who has lost so much, who's teary eyes and sad demeanor are the result of a horrible tragedy, not an overwhelming guilt for the crimes he committed against the ponies he loves the most. They are unaware of his sickened mind.

And he intends to keep it that way.
Character Summary: A social and amiable pony whose sad, off-kilter smile masks a deep and twisted secret. He conduct experiments on travelers from time to time, in an attempt to create an artificial alicorn, in the event that anything ever happens to the living ones. He was deeply affected by the changeling attack, and the word that Celestia was almost defeated by the Queen, this fear snowballed into desperation. It is likely that the stallion was unstable from the start, but the attack was what triggered the shift, he probably would have lived a normal life had it not happened. He is a fairly safe pony to be around for most, he wont touch ponies within towns, but from time to time travelers are known to go missing near the Everfree. If one can get passed his rather unkempt demeanor, he is a perfectly pleasant if not slightly strange pony to carry out a conversation with.

NOTE: No he can't actually make alicorns, but he thinks with every fiber of his being that it is possible, most of what he creates are failed abominations that don't survive. I don't intend to harm anyone else's characters without permission with him, I feel like that needs to be said, your ponies are safe with him he merely comes off as very VERY weird to most ponies. Also I know red is a cliche combo for a more antagonistic character but red/white always gives off a medical vibe for me which is why I chose them, he is a doctor, though not a very good one anymore. The black lab coat was only to make it stand out against his white fur rather than to scream "EVIL RAR", he's not a wholly evil fellow, just very very misguided.

I love this character.  It reminds me of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and The Island of Dr. Moreau.  Chilling scientists that have led their mind wander far beyond the reaches of hope and sanity.  I wouldn't mind rp-ing with him one day~!

YESS. I've always really loved the Jekyll and Hyde mentality, I'm definitely really eager to RP him and get inside of his head, as I tend to always have a blast RPing characters like this, pleasant but clearly unhinged.

So anytime you'd wanna plot stuff hit me up! :D

This is such an interesting character! I love, love,  love it! He makes me feel sad and a bit afraid of him at the same time. Nicely done Jabberwock~ I hope to possibly see him in action. I tip my hat to you, good sir~ OwO

YES I am so glad I conveyed it, he's meant to be a character who comes off as sympathetic to most ponies, because most ponies don't know the things he's done. And he does a very good job playing the part, by the time anyone realizes what he is capable of it's usually too late to really change the outcome. He isn't completely cold, he does feel tremendous guilt for all the things he's done and continues to do, but he's so far gone that he just cannot stop himself.

Thank you so much also, I'm glad people appreciate him ehehe ;u;

Archived