A Glimpse Into the Abyss (Chat Transcript: Leo, Pretzel, & Bellosh)

Bellosh

BACKGROUND INFO: While flying in their airship to see the Jarl of Askr, Java and Presteza are shot down when bad weather leads them to inadvertently stray over a secret island base of WRAITH's. The two ponies are captured, stripped of all clothing and belonings, and thrown into a detention cell together. Little do they know that WRAITH's base hides a dark terror.....

----------

Voronoi Javasun Fractal: It's been some time since Java has last spoken. He just stood there staring out into space through the cell bars in deep thought. He originally had been shaking and hyperventilating when the first shots went off... setting off some past experiences... but he has long sense calmed down.

His ear flicked back when he felt something stir on his back. A soft feline like yawn was all that was there to remind him that Sine was locked up in the cell with him and resting on his back. Of course the cat didn't run off like any other logical creature. She was as weird as he, and his special somepony. That reminds him...

"Pressy..." Java finally spoke up. His tone quizzical, with a tint of humor in it. "Why is it that every time we go on a date... the world seemingly ends around us?"

Presteza: The creamy coated mare across the room was seemingly thinking deeply about something before she was jarred out her little thought based trance by the voice of  her special somepony posing a rather fascinating question.

"Erm... Luck maybe? I say just luck because sometimes I can't tell if it's bad or good luck..." The mare scooted closer to the stallion beside her and leaned into his side. "I'm sure we can figure somethin' out that can get us outta here..."

Java: "Weell...." Java began. His eyes falling on the guards for a brief moment and then back to his jacket. "My jacket has a lip balm in it. I could have used that to open up the door I guess." He hummed, moving a hoof to scratch the back of his head.

"Now I kinda wish I had it. It's nearly negative twenty four degrees. At least there's no draft in this cell. Least there's a bed. Though I'm sure just by looking at it some pony had found the bitter end of eras awaiting him a night's sleep away. They also took my horse shoes... which had a file, and a fold in utility knife... sooo yeah."

Pressy: "And they put this stupid ring on my horn that's keeping me from channeling magic... If they'd foregone it I could just sneezed the door of it's hinges or something'" she said with an awkward laugh trying to lighten the mood a bit.

Java: That did pull a soft smile out of the stallion. Though it wasn't really something that made his internal mood better. Just... poured fuel on the fire. Actually, no that can actually put out fires. More like threw the gas can into the inferno.

"Welp. Definitely better than me. Outside of farming, and engineering earth ponies are strong. Oh yeah sure... if you disregard the fact that many of us still depend on the laws of physics."

Pressy: "I'd shake my hoof at entropy but I think that'd only make it stronger right?" she asked with another little joke to try and help. "So... what do you think they want with us now?"

Java: The stallion gave a small shrug. "Well... worse case scenario. Brainwashing. Saw a bit of that at the tower raid. Best case scenario..." He turned his eyes to look down to the obligatory skull lying in the cell. It seems that every evil cell must include one these days.

"That..." he hummed as he picked up the skull and placed it over his own head like a mask.

Pressy"Well... that artist Vincent Van girth went down in history after he died... and unlike him I'll be with the pony I love if that happens so... I'm a bit better off I suppose."

Java: "Ah! Vincent van Girth... wonderful artist, poor fellow with some bad luck," The stallion sighed and shook his head. But he smiled then nodded it softly. "But... I'd rather not go down in history as a nerd whom is only dating."

???: So the reports were true; two ponies were taken by WRAITH from the crash site and thrown into a detention cell. More incredibly, both prisoners were identified as Trottingham ponies of noble blood: the stallion Voronoi, and the mare Presteza. The mare was of great interest to WRAITH’s vile guest, the fugitive King Sombra. Presteza was the unicorn daughter of Duchess Silver Belle; a descendant of the powerful magic-wielder Aethermare. Voronoi... was nothing more than an unremarkable earth pony, so the Dark King saw him as nothing more than dirt.

Sombra thus demanded that he meet the prisoners in their cell, and WRAITH granted his wish. But not before reminding their “ally” of his place. Even as he and an uniform-wearing lieutenant to WRATH’s leader entered the detention area, within earshot of the prisoners, the lieutenant made sure to mention; “Number One will need to learn any information you acquire.“ In response, Sombra snarled.

WRAITH’s guards opened the cell doors, and in stepped a wicked-looking stallion with newly forged armor and an unsullied red cape... the tell-tale outfit of the Lord of Shadows. Sombra said not a word; he merely cackled cruelly as he stood there in the doorway, gazing down at the helpless captives.

Pressy: There was a silence that hung heavy in the air for a while before anypony spoke, "Ahem!" said the painter beside the pony with a skull on his head. "Are you just gonna stand there in a menacing fashion and not say anything? Or are you going to tell us why we're still alive?"

Java: Pressy's voice snapped the pony out of his thoughts, causing him to look up to see... King... bucking... Sombra. Well that's just fantastic. Though... he did smile softly to himself... why wasn't he scared? Oh... right....

"I think he's waiting to see if we cower before him like the crystal ponies. Honestly, I'd give him the benefit of knowing that in normal situations... I would. But... a few notes to that. You see... after reliving a wonderful time in my past military career, nearly getting blown up... annnnd the fact that I can't feel my body in this freezer. I would actually be trembling. Or... that may be hyperthermia."

The stallion tilted his head... the skull fell off and thudded to the ground. "Though... your apperance doesn't... exactly match with stories. Handsome face. Thought you'd be taller. Menacing yes, but not quite to the level of overbearing. Soo... forgive me for being... emotionally dim."

King Sombra: His eyes fuming with anger, King Sombra decides to make an example out of the earth pony. With a flash of his horn, Sombra telekinetically grips Voronoi, slams him onto the cellroom ceiling, and holds him there in place. "Do you fear me NOW... Earth Pony?"

Java: Java’s feline companion had long sense jumped off of his back and disappeared from sight when the evil overlord had entered the room. And the stallion let out an audible gasp as he cracked against the ceiling. But... it wasn't out of pain. The cold has done a fairly good job at numbing him up it seems. 

However, it also seems that self-preservation and fear has fleeted his body at some point. Perhaps he just accepted the fact that he was a dead buck. Or maybe he was just incredibly irritated? Sure… he’d be excited to see Sombra himself… he’s living history and from description one mean mother bucker. But right now… Java’s pride was destroyed twice over, only driving an inner urge to kill some pony. No… check that… annihilation. 

"Oh... he speaks! Press! Take note and document this day, for which the king’s voice heralds out a warning snarl to the lowly pony pinned to the ceiling with frivolous might! Honestly though… I get sneezed off a cliff daily.” The stallion then looked to Pressy with a flat expression. There was a very obvious hint of truth to his words

Pressy: The painter galloped over to Sombra almost as soon as her mate was seized in his grip, a futile effort on her part as she charged with her horn lowered, "Put him down, Ya lousy King in name only!" Apparently her wit wasn't sharp at this moment as she attempted to ram into the much larger stallion, her horn only bouncing off his armor harmlessly...

Sombra: It seemed like the mare needed to be put in her place too. With an animalistic growl, King Sombra backhoofed Presteza for her insolence. His attack would hurt extra because of his hoof armor.

Satisfied that the mare was subdued, Sombra resorted to using even greater cruelty on Voronoi. For the first time in about a thousand years, the King of Evil... resorted to the forbidden art of blood magic. Taking magical control over the earth pony's internal fluids, Sombra caused Voronoi's arteries and veins to painfully contort.

Java:The stallion's body twitched softly when he felt something stir inside his body. His brow quirked softly as he felt movement under his skin... then finally. He let out a startled, but choked back cry in agony as his own veins seemingly began to strangle themselves. He clinched his jaws together to prevent himself from biting his tongue, as his body spasmed violently against the ceiling.

The king's efforts weren't in vain as the pain soon grew to a threshold high enough to pull a few tears and a whimpering groan from the stallion.

Pressy: The freckled painter grunted as she tried to pull herself back up to her hooves, "Did you bring us here just so you could kill us?" she asked, trying gain some of the air that was knocked out of her previously back. "Please put him down." she said giving the taller stallion a rough glare.

Sombra: For a few moments, King Sombra gave no reply as Voronoi continued withering up on the ceiling. Finally, the dark stallion acknowledged Presteza's plea with coldness; "As you wish....." Sombra released his magical griphold on the earth pony, sending him tumbling down towards the floor.

Java: The stallion dropped to the ground with a loud thud. He continued to compulse on the ground for a bit, as his body still seemingly continues to attack him before quickly reverting it's self to normal operating conditions as quickly as it could. Eventually, his compusions died down to soft twitching then stillness.

Java panted slowly as he rolled onto his stomach, and slowly moved to stagger himself up to all fours his insides felt like they were on fire still. "... H-haoh jeeze..." the stallion groaned softly to himself, "Feels like organ failure... w-wait... no...everything still together." Thank you earth pony resiliance.

The stallion's head twitched, and jared up and down softly as he lifted it up to look to the dark king. "Pressy... I don't think thats the case. Records say he's not the killing type. In person anyways. 'It's beneath his stature' "

PressyThe painter slowly backed away from Sombra , turning around once she was close enough to inspect her mate, "Anything broken?" she asked.

Sombra: Before Presteza could inspect her cellmate, King Sombra magically levitated Voronoi's body up into the air again, taunting; "So are you... Earth Pony." Voronoi is forcefully brought against the wall again, although not as violently as before. Making further use of his dark magic, Sombra causes dark crystals to burst from the floor, pinning the prisoner to the wall for the time being. ".....Never forget that."

Java: "No..." The stallion rasped through his gritted teeth. Though he found himself no longer on his feet now, instead he was now being pinned to the wall by a series of crystals. The stallion frowned, and rolled his eyes down to observe the crystals that held him.

He gave it a light tap with a hoof, studying it before turning his gaze up to Sombra. "Noted... Can we have an explanation on why you are seeing us personally?"

Pressy: The mare looked back to Sombra and then right back to Java before sighing, sitting close to the coffee colored stallion, "I'd like that to, personally..."

Sombra: Not paying close attention to the prisoners' questions, King Sombra turns his piercing gaze towards Presteza, eyeing her like a dragon eyes a coveted treasure. "You are of the Line of Aethermane..." a flicker of a cruel smile appeared; "Blessed with the hereditary gift... of powerful magic." The king started inching closer towards his captive.....

Java: The stallion thunked his head onto the back of the wall, and let  out a low sigh. It seems that the king is making a move onto his marefriend, and there's not much he can do it about it right now. Not when he still feels like garbage.

"Well I'm sure she's flattered, sir. But I believe she's already seeing a pony. That'd be the ole lowly earth pony pinned to the wall here." The buck rasped with a bitter note in his tone.

Pressy: "Exactly and this earth pony is the best thing that's happened ta me. If you want my magic you can have it but I'm stickin' with my coltfriend." She looked to Java and placed a hoof on his own...

Java: "Wait..." the stallion pursed his lips together... he reran the words in his head then lifted his head up to look to the King. "Wait, who's Aethermane?"

Pressy"Another mage from Starswirl the Bearded's era. My mum is her latest living descendant before me. She was called an 'archivist' by a few historians because she had a tendency to look for strange spells and possibly secretive magics and hide them in her secret library." The painter recited seemingly out of habit.

Java: The stallion looked at the mare with his lips pursed. Secretive magics and a secret library? Well that's something he had never remembered the mare saying before. He guessed that others must have asked for the same thing then...

But that would mean...

The stallion then looked to King Sombra for a moment. Yeah... he definitely jumped to some conclusions before. "I've never heard of power being a hereditary thing. So you're not looking to take magic. You're trying to find it."

He paused for a moment looking back to Press, then to Sombra. "Either you're looking for a location, or you've found it, and are looking for a key."

Sombra: Yet again, King Sombra neither confirms or denies the guesses of the simple-minded fool. Instead, he advances towards Presteza to where she is backed against the wall. With the captive right where he wants her, Sombra swiftly moves to grab Presteza's chin with his hoof, forcing the mare to look straight into his malevolent eyes.

"I knew your ancestors," the King gloated; "I gave them the opportunity... to share in my rule. .....They were fools for coming against ME!!!"

Java: The stallion leaned his head on one of the crystal spires as he watched the events unfold. It... looks like this is something personal now. He sighed as he turned his gaze to look out of the cell just briefly with a distant expression then back to the two. There really wasn't anything he could do right now other than watch.

Pressy: The mare in question shuddered at the touch of the king, she glanced sidelong at Java as if to ask what he thought she should do. Until he answered she was still on her own in a sense. "W-wow... you're older than I thought then. But wasn't it... the sister princesses that imprisoned you?"

Java"Annnd... a baby dragon that foiled your plans according to the bards of the Crystal Empire..."

Sombra: Hearing this insolent talk fills King Sombra with rage, as seen in his eyes. "Don't you DARE," he's essentially spitting in Presteza's face at this point; "Mention those... COWARDS in my presence AGAIN!"

Java: The stallion purses his lips then lifted his head. "Well... with all do respect. You've probably gotten further than most others had. Pretty much legendary to historians and still feared. I... don't know what in the nine hells happened more recently.." The pony began... being sure to not mention the dragon. "But... I'm kinda wondering exactly what does this have to do with Pressy's herritage. Aethermane is likely six feet under. What ever remains of her body is now one with plant life and earth worms. Unless she happens to have a family lich..."

Pressy: Presteza could only give the towering stallion a flat-look as spittle rained on her face... also what is it with villains and bad breath? is one of the first things a dark sorcerer forsakes  the art of oral hygiene? The painter coughed, "Well What I'm assuming he wants is the way to get in to my ancestor's secret Library... but It's pretty well hidden so I don't think he'll be getting in... unless he's got a specific plan fer me."

Sombra: The Evil King roughly took his hoof off Presteza, turning his back towards the two captives. "All will be revealed... in tiiiiiiime," Sombra menacingly answered as he twisted around again to face the two ponies. "The two of you will join me in my quarters for dinner this evening. I'll assure that you'll be..... cared for before your meal."

Java: "Er... before you go. I'd like to ask you a question out of curiosity sake. Well less of a question and more of your opinion to an old family parable... spoken by a Endless Void before the buck's untimely death... or at least that's what I've been told. Details get lost through word of mouth with time." The stallion then tilted his head. and cleared his throat.

"Two blind bucks waited at the end of an era contemplating beauty. They sat atop the world's throat, overlooking the land and seeing nothing.

'Can beauty be taken from a stallion?' the first asked the other.

'It was taken from me,' the second replied. 'For I cannot remember it.' The stallion who's speaking was blinded in a childhood accident. 'I pray through my breath each night to restore what was lost, so that I may seek beauty again.'

'Is beauty something one must see, then?' The first asked.

'Of course... that is nature. how can you appreciate a work of art without seeing it?'

'I can hear a work of music,' the first said.

'Very well, you can hear some kinds of beauty - but you cannot know full beauty without sight. You can know only a small portion of beauty.'

"A sculpture,' the first said. 'Can I not feel it's curves and slopes? The touch of the chisel that formed common rock into an uncommon wonder?'

'I suppose,' replied the second. 'that you can know the beauty of a sculpture.'

'And what of the beauty in food? Is it not a work of art when a chef crafts a masterpiece to delight the tongue?'

'I suppose,' said the second, that you can know the beauty of a chef's art.'

'And what of the beauty of a mare," the first said. 'Can I not know her beauty in the softness of her caress, the kindness of her voice, the keenness of her mind as she reads philosophy to me? Can I not know this beauty? Can I not know most kinds of beauty, even without my eyes?'

'Very well...' said the second. 'But what if your ears were removed, your hearing taken away. Your tongue ripped out, your mouth forced shut, your sense of smell destroyed. What if your skin were burned so that you can no longer feel? And all that remained to you was pain? You could not know beauty then. It can be taken from a stallion."

The stallion stopped, then pursed his lips. "And what do you think?"

Sombra: King Sombra recalled the name that Voronoi spoke of. Endless Void had been another famous pioneer in the Dark Arts. Although in some respects he might have been foolish, part of Sombra couldn't help but respect a stallion who sacrifced his equinity in pursuit of so-called forbidden knowledge. As the Dark King would personally attest, to be a true master of Dark Magic meant a willingness to corrupt one's soul.

Mildly impressed with Voronoi's knowledge, Sombra thus humored the earth pony by listening to the parable. At the end, the black-hearted lord gave his reply; "The stallion would still know beauty... because he would still remember the beauty of the life... that once was. And it is this memory... that causes the stallion to wither in agony." Sombra now trotted closer to the earth pony; "The pain only stops... when the stallion renounces  the existence of beauty. Only then will he know beauty NO MORE. And THAT, is what frees the stallion from the torment of light... so he can embrace the darknessssssssss....."

Java: The stallion blinked. A sweat drop rolled slightly down his head as he mulled over the other's thought. It seems that the other may have heard such a thing before. He'll give him credit, it was a well thought out answer. More well thought out than from others he'd told the same parable to.

"Well, nearly mistook you for a romantic. Not entirely sure how you can expunge the light, when darkness exists because of light. Sure I guess arbiters of justice vow to destroy darkness... and lords of the arts desire to eliminate the light. But the problem still is that they are at tug of war. If one pushes too hard, it utterly breaks the system." 

"Like preservation and ruin... what happens when light beats out the dark? Laws become too strict, and no one would break them. Life hits a stand still and never progress. When Darkness overpowers, the all that can happen is ruin. No one will follow another's lead, for they wish for their own fortune."

The stallion chirped as the answer lingered in his head. "Though... the speed of which you answered it means that you've met the buck and respected him long enough to hear his parable."

Sombra"Yesssssss....." King Sombra's vague memories of one part of his past flashed back to life. He was a wanderer, far away from home, searching for dark secrets. "I knew your... ancessssstor. Void's mind was..... warped and broken when I found him. I learned what secrets from him I could....."

With that, Sombra headed back towards the cell door. Without bothering to look behind, the dark stallion used his magic to make the crystals binding Voronoi to shatter. "There will be time for more discussion... later. Enjoy your solitude... while you still can."

Sombra walked out of the cell; the stationed WRAITH guards shut the cell door behind them.

*TO BE CONTINUED*

Archived