Facing Consequences Unconsidered [Private]

DerpRavener

Princess Celestia frowned as she flew over Canterlot.  Although she felt it was a necessary task, that did not make it pleasant.  It was the worst part of teaching: having to deal with a student who had become unruly or dangerous.  When gentler reminders failed, she had to resort to reprimands, unless she was willing to let her leadership to be ignored entirely.  She always felt a sense of personal failure in such situations, wondering if there was not some way she could have stopped things from arriving at this state.  But such cases would always occur.  She could not do anything that would prevent them outright if she wanted her ponies to flourish and succeed, rather than be smothered.
Celestia mentally chided herself.  She was being presumptuous.  Though displaying many troubling signs the commander had not fully condemned himself yet.  The princess had her doubts that he would recover enough to pass the next few hours unscathed.  But Equestria was founded on hope, and she would be betraying her ideals as both a leader and as a pony if she did not have enough of an open mind to give the wayward commander a chance.

Celestia steeled herself as she descended toward the clearing before her destination, a garrison, and adopted a carefully neutral expression on her features.  The ponies who were walking about at this time of day rushed to bow or get to a respectful distance, but as she had a job to do and none of them were in need of immediate assistance, she paid them little mind.
No guards came out to greet her right away, as she expected for reaching the barracks this early.  She may have arrived a day or two before the official date she had given for her inspection.  She may have deliberately skewed the date she gave, to achieve just such an effect.  Just one more act that was unfortunate but necessary, if she was to accomplish what was needed.

It didn't take long for a guard exit the garrison, having heard a commotion from outside.  He started to give a formal greeting, but Celestia all but cut him off.  “Could you tell me where your commander is?  I have an urgent matter I must discuss with him.”  She kept her tone overtly pleasant, to avoid causing undue stress to the general public, but anypony who cared to really listen could hear her underlying disappointment.
This was something she neither was eager to carry out nor would take lightly, and as such she was content to wait, for either the commander to emerge or for the guard to lead Celestia to him.

Within seconds of her question, Flashfire was outside beside the guard in full armor. "Your majesty." He gave s quick quiet bow of his head. "You have arrived early. Most of the night patrol are still on their routes." He knew that tone from her. He had heard it only once. Opening the door, he held it for her. "I assume the inspection has begun?" He did not seem surprised at all. Though to his credit he had been awake and seen her land. 

Flashfire was aware that most of the day shift guards were still preparing for the day. As were the ones with families on the second floor. Most would be out of uniform. Breakfast was still an hour away. Flashfire cursed at himself inwardly, figuring he should have known this was coming. The stallion kept quiet however, knowing full well his princess had her methods. 

And she was going to do things her own way. Inside, several guards were getting into their armor. A couple were still in the showers. Others had finished dressing and were discussing the details of the days matters. Patrol routes, who was out sick, and other things normally discussed inside the barracks. The sound of hooves in the hall got them to quiet down. The figured it was the commander coming to give them the morning chat. But the sound of another voice got them wondering. "Maybe it's Stormstride's replacement?" One said. "Good luck with that. Stormy is not going to get replaced. The commander never forwarded the request. its still on his desk." "Why is that?" "Upcoming inspection I heard. That ruckus Stormstride caused got the Princess mad." One chuckled. "That... That was nothing. Storm was just acting out the same way we all do in the barracks after a long day. And if I remember, the only ones that got their feelings hurt were the ones that were picking on her." "Him. Putting on some make up don't make you a mare." "Say what you want, Stormstride was better a guard than most of us. You all know that as well as I." "Was. Storm isn't fit for duty anymore." "You know... if you had given Stormstride HALF the support you give the rest of us, Stormy may yet still be here to help with patrol. The command and her butted head. But they both wanted the same thing. Just had different ways of getting.... ATTENTION!!!" All the guards snapped to attention. Their various states of dress apparent in the early morning. 

• 2 months later...

Flashfire was certainly attentive now, Celestia mused to herself, as the commander came out to greet her almost instantly.  If only he'd been a little more proactive, he might have been able to avoid this whole sordid affair.  None of the princess' thoughts showed on her face however, which remained impassive and unreadable, as she followed Flashfire into the barracks.  “Your assumption is correct, commander,” she replied to his question, confirming what he already believed.

Guard Barracks, Celestia had found, tended to practice a sort of organized chaos, and this one was no exception.  All the guards' preparations were at once simultaneous and independent of one another.  This was in fact the reason the princess had made her visit a surprise, she'd learned long ago if her subjects knew when she would arrive, then the observation would alter the results more than was acceptable.  Her decision seemed to be paying off as she caught snippets of conversation from the room ahead, speculating about who might be walking down the hall.  It seemed that Stormstride was still being disruptive even after having left for reassignment.

The guards all snapped to attention at Flashfire's order, as he and Celestia entered the room.  “Thank you commander,” Celestia said, as she began to walk around and make a token assessment of the visual state of each guard.  Nothing stood out to her in that regard.  Of course there appearances were in disarray, but that was hardly something the princess would hold against them.  Her concern was something potentially much more damaging, though she would not be taking a direct route to investigating it.

Celestia addressed the whole room when she next spoke.  “I take it you are all aware of the incident not long ago in which several were defeated and humiliated by a single mare.  Would anypony care to comment on this event?”  She looked around the ponies who filled the room, attentive to what was not said, whether it was hinted at or neglected entirely, as well as what was spoken.

Most of the ponies remained silent. But two stepped forward. Keeping their eyes locked and posture as rigid as usual. On the floor above a scramble could be heard. Mares and stallions trying to get into armor. They apparently had either been eating or showering and heard Celestia's voice. Flashfire vanished and then the sound of his voice was heard upstairs. It... strangely was not angry. Just calling them to attention.. and telling them to wait their turn. Celestia would get to them as well. Then he reappeared beside Celestia. 

The pair that had stepped forward saluted and waited to be addressed. Both were stallions. The first one spoke. "Your Majesty. Stormstride broke regulation, yes. But If I remember correctly, The incident centered around a colt bullying a younger pony. Stormstride asked a guard for assistance in the matter and the guard brushed her off. At that point... Stormy wasn't a guard anymore. she had already signed her resignation papers. That was when she took matters into her own hooves. We were called out. And.. I was among those trying to arrest her. Everything she did, was nothing different than the jokes we play on each other in our down time here at the barracks. Honestly though the way she was treated by some of the guards after we managed to grab her... that was wrong." The other stallion shot him a look. "So says you. HE was nothing but trouble. HE was always disobeying orders. It doesnt matter what his reason was. Even if he did it to make sure everyone was safe and happy. HE was given orders. and HE didnt do it. And stop calling him a mare. A little make up and a dress doesnt change anything. Just makes him a weirdo." The first stallion had fallen silent. Still looking to Celestia. Though he said nothing, he wanted too. But he was allowing the other stallion his turn. 

Flashfire stayed silent himself. Opting to not dig his grave deeper than it already was. This would likely end his career. Years of effort, everything he had worked toward, gone. He didn't even blink as he just let the sounds of the others around him drift by. The only voice he would have cared to listen to was Celestia's. So that was what he did. Just listened for her word. 

The second stallion continued. "Your Majesty. Stormstride was always a problematic soldier. They never got along with any other guards. They always kept away from us like they were hiding something. Working longer shifts, taking extra hours. Even in their downtime they never came here or went anywhere with the rest of us. It was like they couldn't stand us. Well if that was the case, let him just suffer with his own punishment I guess." The first stallion waited a bit but it seemed the second one was done. "May I finish now?" The second stallion nodded "yea go ahead." "Thank you. As I was saying your majesty. She didnt do anything different than the daily things we do around here on our down time.It was just locker room flank slaps and sticking her tongue out. Maybe a little shock with her magic, but nothing so serious as to warrant he being totally chained up and having her horn put in a lock like that." The second one scoffed. The first glared at him. " You cracked her horn when you jammed that thing down on her like that." At that Flash stepped forward. "What was that?" Both realized where they were again and snapped to attention. Stepping back, Flashfire left it to Celestia to speak. Returning to his quiet pose.  The pair of stallions before Celestia were silent as stone now, looking to her for word. 

It would seem Stormstride was a hot topic in this particular garrison, and a controversial one at that.  Assuming the two guards who spoke up accurately represented the whole, it would appear that whether though some thought her as nothing more than insubordinate while others saw her as a martyr, both seemed fixated on their former comrade.  In fact, the once stallion seemed to be the only thing the garrison considered.  Celestia wished she were more surprised.

Once the two guards had each made their arguments, Celestia waited.  Silence hung in the air, and while the princess didn't mind the idea of making the lot of them sweat a little, in truth she'd hoped one of them would realize the critical failing.  Yet not one of them did, every guardspony in the room was waiting for her response.

Celestia sighed, and when she finally did speak, her voice carried hints of sadness and irritation.  “I must say, I am disappointed.  Not one of you has acknowledged the actual reasons for my visit today.  I am relying on ponies such as yourselves to Equestria safe, not just physically but also in spirit, and the guard can only be successful when working as a team without emphasizing anypony at the expense of all others.”  She looked at each guard in the room in turn, settling last on Flashfire.  “There are few beings who warrant the attention of an entire garrison of the royal guard.  Stormstride, for all her ability and merit or lack thereof, is not one of them.  So I must ask, how did she come to be inadvertently sabotaging everypony in this garrison and their way of thinking?”

while a few shuffled their hooves, one spoke. "The wedding incident." The pony stepped forward. "She disobeyed a direct order to come to the palace. She stayed at her post. It got a few of us thinking. If orders from higher ranking members were given without thought to the consequence to the citizens.... why follow them? Stormstride saw the danger to the school. She stayed to defend it, against orders. By rights, that alone should have gotten her dismissed from service. But her actions saved 12 foals and three adults. She was wounded in combat. It ended up putting her in the hospital. After that, things changed a bit. The commander took more time to consider the orders that came down. He tried to make sure it did not leave the citizens defenseless while following orders. But a few of us saw that as an act of insubordination. We aren't trained to question orders. Just to follow them. Working as a whole, not thinking as individuals. As the saying goes your highness, we are paid to fight, not think."

Silence filled the room a bit longer as the pony finished, before another spoke. "It's more than just that one pony. While I respect the opinions of every pony here, We are not here for opinions. We have a job to do. We get orders, and follow them. Nothing more too it. If Storm decided she didn't like that she could have just filed her papers and left. As can all of you. I wear the armor to be what I can, a defender of Equestria. We are the first and last line of defense for this kingdom." A few others stood silently, still at attention. Flashfire stepped forward, quietly removing his helmet. Looking around he could see it. Finally he turned to Celestia. "With you leave, your majesty. I will return to my office and prepare the morning reports. They seem to not want to speak with me around." He gave a quick bow and moved for the stairs. Once the sound of his door shutting could be heard, the guards seemed to relax just a little. They openly spoke softly. "He's too up tight lately. Something's eating at him." one whispered. Another nodded, "I agree. He's always been a by the book stallion. But lately he's not even taking a second to see if the book has anything to say about situations. He just reacts. He's under a lot of pressure since the court day where we pulled Stormstride in there." "Storm wasn't an average pony. He or she. Whatever you call that pony. They may not be the best, but they had us outclassed for tactic. And I think that's what got under all our coats. Storm knows all about our training and used it against us. Who is to say that wont happen again. But with a pony that's got more on their mind that just teasing us all? You and I both know that Storm didnt hurt any pony that day. What if it comes to a pony with a real bone to pick? How well can we react to that?"

The answer to Celestia's question ultimately came to another: is it better to reject orders and choose the option to protect the weak seemingly abandoned by those in charge, or follow orders and believe that the good would be best served by trusting those who gave them?  The guardspony who was speaking concluded that their responsibility was to fight rather than to consider.  The princess knew it wouldn't be solved here.  However, she couldn't help feeling somewhat unsatisfied by the answer as a whole, especially given the problems it appeared to cause the garrison as a whole.

Celestia nodded as Flashfire moved to excuse himself, indicating her acknowledgement and approval of the decision.  Much as the need for it seemed an ominous sign in this context, the act was ultimately Flashfire making a sacrifice so the inspection could continue.

Once the commander had left, the conversation changed tone only slightly.  A few of the assembled guards expressed the opinion that Flashfire was trying to adapt, and allow for more interpretation of orders where they might leave civilians in danger.  There were also indications that he was growing more and more stressed, though it was unclear whether that was a product of him attempted to change his conduct or some other reason.  Much as she wished him no ill, if he was so compromised in a stressful but ordinary situation, it could not bode well for how he'd fare in a true emergency.

It was also a problem that the guard could be so undermined merely by knowing their tactics, as another guard claimed.  If the guard is so simple and rigid that a pony through such understanding alone could overpower so many of them, then these guards were unprepared to perform their duties, and none had taken any effective action to correct that.  Something needed to be done.

Celestia turned toward the guard who had stated they were paid to fight rather than think.  “I'm afraid you were incorrect, my little guardspony.  It is true that combat effectiveness is a key part of a guard's training and responsibilities, it is not precisely their purpose.”  She looked around at the assembled guards.  She had already come to a conclusion about Commander Flashfire, but she was not yet sure what was to become of the garrison itself.  “I have nearly arrived at a decision.  I will give you,” she indicated to every guard in the room as a group, “one more chance.  And before I ask my question, I will remind you that Stormstride has been dealt with to my satisfaction, and as such you had best have a VERY good reason for bringing her up again.”  She paused, to give the assembled guards a moment to process.  She was not certain how much they would care, but how they answered next would determine whether the garrison could be recover with the right leadership, or whether it would have to be torn apart and scattered, to be rebuilt from scratch.  “Now, can anypony here tell my what the true purpose of the Royal Equestrian Guard is?”  She truly hoped one of them could produce the answer, that the purpose of the guard was to protect the citizens of Equestria, and from more than just physical threats.

There was a scoff from the back as one of the guards ignored her question and continued to get ready for the day. That pony drew a few stares before she turned and spoke. "The purpose of the royal guard was first and foremost to protect you, Your Majesty. Second to that, we are to protect the citizens of Equestria. The third and final duty is to uphold the laws of the land of Equestria.... whatever you decide those laws should be." Another guard nudged her softly. "Hey... cut it out. Some of us would like to try to keep our jobs." She scoffed again. "We are the reject bin of the guard. The only ponies assigned here are considered worthless by the generals. Most of us are labeled as too stupid to complete officer training, too weak for hard line combat, too informal to work in the palace and otherwise just cannon fodder. Why do you think Flashfire was put in charge? He's the hardest stallion I ever met. Though He has tried his best to make proper guards out of all of us, he cant and he sees that now. A few of us will likely be sent out to other garrisons where we can be put to use. But when she leaves... most of us here will be jobless and homeless... again. So take that pride and honor and go brown nose the princess some more... I got patrol in ten." She slapped her helmet on and moved for the door. Pausing only long enough to look back at the others before just walking out for her station. 

The door shut with more force than needed and the sound of her hooves stamping off faded away. "Well... at least she was brave enough to say her piece," one commented under their breath. "Flash is gonna rip her a new one. He never lets back talk slide. Not even form his second in command." One pony turned to Celestia, half in uniform for the day. Looking at her he began to finish strapping on his armor. A few others drifted back to their own preparations for the day. it was like, defeat hung on their heads. The mare's words had some ring of truth to them and so the barrack fell silent despite Celestia's presence. As dysfunctional as they were, they were still devoted to the line of duty. Up in his quarters, Flashfire had heard the exchange and let it be. The princess was the top of the command chain. She would deal with it as she saw fit. But the words he had heard stung the stallion's pride. He took a moment to take off his armor and set it on the rack. Brushing off the dust from the day before's patrol. "fare thee well my fair friend. You served me well these few years. may your next commissioned officer wear you better than me... and may they be a pony of better standards than I ever was or shall ever be." Sitting at his desk he sighed the orders and reports for the day after glancing at each. Set them in the OUT box. Moved to the IN box and began looking over the reports.

As the first pony turned to Celestia, he saluted. "I guess this will be our last day on patrol princess... It was an honor." He saluted, flat and monotone. Like he didn't think he was coming back after his shift. Moving to the rack he picked up his spear and looked at it. Then just set it back down and moved to stand by the door, awaiting his patrol orders for the day. Slowly a few others joined him. The rest were still awaiting Celestia's words. The sound of hooves on the stairs sounded as more guards came down. Though these were in full dress and seemed ready for the day. A few had medals or insignia attached to their uniforms, identifying them as honored guards or awarded for various things. Most were ranked sergeant or a bit higher. They all stood at attention before Celestia quietly waiting for her to speak to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Celestia's eyes followed the most vocal guard as the latter left, though the princess remained silent for the moment.  As much as she might have disliked the attitude with which it was delivered, this was providing great insight into the situation at this garrison.  If what the guardsmare had said was true, Celestia would need to have some words with her generals as well.  With enemies such as those currently arranging themselves against Equestria, they could not afford to have a 'weak link' such as this anywhere, let alone within the capitol of the nation.

That was a matter for later, Celestia reminded herself as she looked around and the remaining guardsponies, each showing depressed acceptance on their respective faces.  "While I don't appreciate the tone," Celestia began, and indicated to where that most confrontational guard had stood, "she touched on the right answer.  The Guard is meant to protect although not just me, and not just from physical dangers."  She sighed.  “I have no intention of removing anypony from a career they are committed to.  Changes will have to be made, but there will always be a place in the guard for ponies who are dedicated to its ideals.”  She allowed herself a small, comforting smile.  “Don't give up hope yet.”  The seed was there for the garrison to recover, and the princess was sure that given enough time it would do just that.  She was almost tempted to let it try.

That said, Celestia could plainly see the bitterness and cynicism which was festering here, and both were harmful traits for the Royal Equestrian Guard.  What's more, it seemed clear to her that the ponies here were suffering in their own way, and she could not in good conscience ignore this state of affairs, particularly when doing so it ran counter to other goals.  “I do expect to have to separate the barracks however,” she said, giving voice to her thoughts and fair warning to the guardsponies.  “But do not concern yourselves with that yet, accommodations will be made for everypony.  In the meantime,” she nodded to the guards around, “Please, carry on with your duties.”

Celestia doubted there was more to say to them now, before she started making necessary arrangements.  That only left Commander Flashfire.  The princess made her way to the commander's door, and finding it closed she did the obvious thing: she knocked.  “We must speak,” she spoke through the door, while waiting for it to open, “I have no intention of removing you from the guard, but changes must be made.”  Warning him like this would give him space to think, and a chance to pause and reflect if her were so inclined.

The door swung open on its own. Inside the rather lavish room was revealed. Decorated and adorned with expensive things from many corners of Equestria. The commander himself sat behind the amply large and lovely desk. To each side of it were racks with various pony wepaons. Flashfire looked up from his paperwork for a moment. Then his eyes returned to the papers as he nodded to her. He didn't speak at first. BUt one could tell the wheels in his head uwere rolling slowly. After a moment he leaned back from the desk. His office was very well decorated. More so than any commander should be able to afford. What was more was the display case that contained his armor on the stand. It was closed, but not locked. He looked at her for a moment, then spoke. "Do you want me to speak to my second in command about her attitude or will you speak to her about it? I could offer you any number of explanations, but there is likely no way to change an already made up mind. That said, in the last week alone, those under my command have improved their skills and marks by over 15%. If you look at their skill and exam tests scores you will see that. Additionally, this district has the lowest crime rate in the entire capital city. That may or may not be their doing. But I like to think it is their doing." Standing he walked around the desk, looking up at her. "Most of them down there were devoid of hope before they were sent to his place. Mostly because they had the lowest acceptable scores and skills in the guard. I may ride them hard, and they may not like it. But each and every pony down there has worked their tails off to be better."

Flashfire returned to his desk and sat on the chair silently. Looking at Celestia quietly. "I am assuming you skipped breakfast to come here. So let us just be as swift as possible about this. You carry out whatever action you see fit. And so will I."  The tone was flat. Devoid of emotion. He had one decent poker face. He just stared her right in the eye. The stare he had was not meant to intimidate or harass. It was just... emotionless. a learned trait of many commanders. The stallion then spoke. "If you want, I can prepare some tea. If that would make you more comfortable."

Celestia made no mention of the decorations around the room.  It was ultimately up to each commander what she or he wanted on display in their personal offices, and while it generally did say something meaningful about the individual to whom the room belonged, in this particular case it seemed unlikely that her concerns dealt with what the princess saw in the room.  The room indicated vanity, or some similar flaw, while concerns dealt with fatigue or anxiety.

She did however, gratefully accept the tea.

But things must be addressed in their proper order.  “I intend to let the incident with the guardsmare slide,” she said, waving a hoof to the side, “there appears to be a great deal of stress permeating this garrison, and I am sure my sudden presence is not helping the matter.  Though you may deal with her as you see fit, if you feel some consequence is necessary.”

Celestia paused for a moment, her eyes wandering around the room, then frowned.  “Everypony here speaks as though I'm after some form of retribution, when in truth I only wish to aid Equestria and it's citizens.”  She looked directly at Flashfire again.  “You may be pleased to hear that I have no intention of removing anypony here from the guard.  I am convinced of the garrison's passion, and while your understanding of the purpose of the royal guard is somewhat lacking, the seed is there.  It just needs to be properly nurtured."

Celestia's tone became more matter-of-fact.  “I intend to have the garrison split up.  From what I have seen the persistent anxiety is leading to a feedback loop, and the best means to recover is fresh blood, by attaching the affected ponies to more positive groups, and bringing in fresh guards to fill the resulting gaps.”  Her tone softened once again.  “I would appreciate your help shuffling the guards around, to ensure nopony is placed in a position too far from family or friends.”  That would just be counterproductive.  Celestia held hope, and felt reasonably confident that Flashfire cared enough for his troops to assist in this regard.

Celestia paused for only a moment, unsure how the commander would take what she said next.  “You are included in that number, unfortunately.  Those under your command tell me you're stressed, and given some recent actions I believe them.  It sounds as though you have been struggling somewhat as of late.”  The princess considered her next statement carefully, as she felt there was a good chance Flashfire would not take to this next idea.  “I believe it would help you to have a position with fewer responsibilities, which would give you a chance to recover, learn, and work your way back up.”

Flashfire was magically setting a pot of water to boil on a small burner on his desk. He was listening intently. It was her words on moving the guards around that brought motion to his hooves. He moved to the paperwork stack. His hoof just touching it when she mentioned moving him out of command. And for the first time, he hesitated. There was a twitch in his lip. a faint tale-tail sign something was eating at him now. His eyes slowly came to hers. After a moment, they returned to the task at hoof. Bringing out the papers he spoke softly. "To my knowledge, the only friends my garrison has are each other. The ones with families, aside from our recent departure Storm, all have their families living here on the second floor with them. There are four of them. I will file the forms for transfer, however I will leave the dates and locations open for you to write in what you please." He began to fill out the papers as the kettle whistled. 

Pausing to levitate it off he moved to a small stand. Retrieving two cups and a bit of sugar in a bowl. He brought them to the desk and set them down gently. Placing tea leaves in each cup, he poured the water and then left the princess to sweeten her tea as she pleased. He took his straight, not even letting it cool before he sipped it. He was silent as he looked into the cup. It was a calmer look on his face now. "You will find my commission and weapon in the storage case with my armor and all insignia of my rank. Assign them as you see fit your majesty. I was prepared for this the moment we left the court that day. If nothing more, I learned that there are far worse things than getting your flank slapped a couple times." 

Taking another sip he began on the papers again, and without giving her a chance to speak, he continued. "Their demeanor toward you is their own. Many have expressed to me that they have a lack of faith in you and your sister. This district is the lower middle class. Just above the station workers and freight ponies. There is little of value to steal, and few ponies to protect. Mostly just small families with small businesses and a single school. The kind of small town atmosphere that exists in places such as Ponyville is in the air here. And many ponies here think nothing of what goes on in the Palace District. However the guards do. And it is my job to assure them that the commanders and generals and captains..and even the princesses are trying their best to see to it that every pony is safe. However, as I spoke before, lately I am more trying to relieve their fears that we are worthless. An attempt that seems to have failed. Each pony is beholden to their own oath and opinions. I ask nothing from my soldiers that I would not willingly give myself. Here lately it seems I am asking them to turn a blind eye to what seems to them to be sheer blatant ignorance of disregard. Either one is bad enough. Your presence here may only serve to get them to believe their own opinions that we are unwanted or useless as a garrison. Many of those ponies down there have no other home. Their talents do not line them up to be Royal Guards. However, with no home and no hope, they found some solace in joining up. Like they had found a place they might fit in. And I tried to be a commander to them. But it seems I am more suited to be their parental figure."

He set one paper aside and began on the next. "My lieutenant was merely voicing her own thoughts and interpretations of how things are going. Her own opinion, to put it bluntly, is that you have sat upon your throne so long, you cant get off it anymore. Many ponies look to you for strength, and the few that did notice you were captured were mortified. How hard would it be to topple us next time if a miracle were not on hoof to save us? We had a clear view of your imprisonment at the wedding incident. We were on the causeway leading to the servant's quarters. The one directly south of that window. We defended it as well as we could have. We managed to hold off that assault well enough without sustaining more than three injured ponies and one being discharged for his wounds. But keeping it quiet has been hard without proper supplies and numbers. We sent out a requisition order for new gear and weapons. We got a couple pieces, but not much. The message was that shipments were being sent where they were needed most as a priority. That I understand. But that request for things we need to do our jobs and keep this district of the city safe was sent out over six months ago. Pay has been late more than once and I have dipped into my own accounts to cover the guards' pay. I respect you as the princess, but as far as the military is concerned, I trust the foals in the school down the street more than I trust you. I do not doubt your powers. Though I doubt your resolve. I spent my entire life working up to this post. This was my first and only assignment. I trained for years to be a commanding officer. Graduated first of my class, both in school and in academy. Where every other pony fell short, I excelled. It has fallen to a simple commander to keep an entire garrison together because those higher than me pay no heed to a small group in the back end of, how did they put it, 'the most heavily defended and well fortified position in all of Equestria'. Yes, some defense we mounted. I wonder how many ponies from the Palace District were replaced within a day's time?"

Again he shifted to the next paper, pausing to sip his tea. "You may be interested to know that several of the guards here in this barracks requested further training and permission to enter the officer training programs. I sent those requests forward. The only one that came back with a yes was for my lieutenant. She will be shipping off next week for Officer training academy. Every other rank you see on my guards was placed there by myself as a promotion for their years or even decades of service. Upholding the duties we stand for to the best of their abilities. You say I am stressed. You may be interested to know I work two shifts a day, in addition to personally tending all reports before they are sent to the next chain of command. The last time I bothered to send out for a reinforcement was rejected because of incidents in other areas. So I say unto you, princess, please. Do not dishonor me with a mere demotion. Either strip me of my title and rights as both a Nobel and a Commander, or leave me my rank and just move me where you see fit. You and I both know that demotions rarely end with the pony regaining anything near their former rank." There it was. That indignation. It had been steadily creeping into his voice as he had spoken. But with that last sentence it had come out fully. "I put the majority of my life into training and working for my rank. I have never even considered life outside the military as my own talent is for military service." His eyes met hers and there was...anger. Mixed with resignation that he was digging his own grave. "I know you will do as you will. You always have." He began passing the papers over to her now. Each was filled out for a specific guard pony. Though the date and location of transfer was left open. Finally he reached the end of the stack. setting them aside he moved to a different stack, though he took his time in filling out the form he pulled.

Flashfire was quiet now, save for the occasional sip of tea. Though his face was tense. His lower jaw clenched, fighting back the emotion he had kept pent up this long. And his eyes looked a little damp. He was strained. However, he stuck to his task. "We will need to call for a few carts to move the families. Though the other guards do not own much. What little they do own will fit inside one or two suitcases. Perhaps smaller bags in the case of some." The voice was starting to crack. All that pent up emotion was leaking. "I do have one single request. The guard that spoke of Stormstride with some reverence. His name is Bunch Bolt. A pegasus. Please transfer him to a pegasus city. He is most unhappy being stationed on the ground like this." A waver in the voice. Flashfire was finally on the verge of letting go. He was unused to showing emotion. He did not know how to display it properly. And so much of it at once was eating at him. He was doing his best to maintain face in front of Celestia. But it was getting harder with each form he filled out. The unicorn finally lay his pen down and reached to the corner of the desk. There was a picture there. He brought it closer. An older pony in full dress uniform. He looked jovial and happy. Standing next to a much younger looking Flashfire. Though the younger stallion looked very stern and poised. As if he was preparing for a week of drill. The similarity was clear. This was Flashfire's father.

• 2 weeks later...

Celestia took a few sips of her tea as she listened to the commander's words.  Ahh, there it was, that vanity she'd spotted earlier.  Again, not a problem in an of itself, although it could start to cause problems when it began to affect other things.  In this case, the issue affected was Commander Flashfire's account of things.  The way he told it, he was a lone hero battling and being beaten down by a world that seeks to ruin him.  While Celestia was sure he'd faced some difficulties, she was finding it hard to believe that he was so blameless in what was happening to this barracks now.  He at least seemed to believe what he was saying, rather than just trying to pull the wool over the princess' eyes, but he also took no responsibility for damage caused to his career or the barracks' well being through his actions.  He seemed to describe himself as a hero, and father to his soldiers.  Meanwhile, Celestia had seen what thought of as a diplomatic action, and even acknowledging the duress he was under it should not have occurred the way it it.

Still, he was being accommodating currently, and she gratefully accepted the forms as he handed them to her and only gave them a cursory glance to double check that they were correct.  Naturally, they were in order.

Celestia allowed herself a small smile at his mention of miracles.  “Few ponies realize how much effort it takes to engineer miracles, and to ensure there is always one where it is needed.”  Granted, a few past situations went a bit farther than Celestia had meant to let them, but her faith in her ponies, especially when combined with her own machinations, proved sound.  She doubted that would be a satisfying or effective answer for the commander however.  “More to the point however, I could perhaps take matters into my own hooves.  But would that really be a good thing?  I would not be a very good teacher if solved all the major problems myself, and made the entire country utterly reliant on me whenever there was a crisis.  And would I not merely be another tyrant, albeit perhaps one with noble intentions, if I simply took matters into my own hooves and inflicted my will upon the world?"  Wondering to what extent the commander shared his lieutenant's opinion, she also asked, "What do you think, would that truly be a good thing?”

“To that end,” she continued, as her voice great a little more stern, “even if I wanted to, according to rules I myself put in place and abide by, I could not strip you of anything which derives from your heritage.”  She pondered for a moment.  “I could, I suppose, remove you from the military entirely if that is what you truly want.  Though I must have had very difference experiences in that regard, thus far those guards who are truly motivated can see such things as the warnings they are, and push onward to future success.  Only those guards which lose their conviction never recover.”  In truth, Celestia found Flashfire's attitude a little selfish, demanding to be removed from his position which would not only cost the guard but also play into his martyr complex.  However, she found ponies in general more receptive to alternate suggestions than confrontation.  She paused, before adding, “If you truly wish to leave the military I will not stop you, but it is your decision.  Take some time to consider it.”

Celestia let her statement hang in the air for a moment, before moving on to Flashfire's last point of discussion.  “As for...” it took the princess a moment to remember the name, “-Bunch Bolt, that is a reasonable request.  However before we commit to it, am I correct in assuming that nopony from the garrison would wish to follow him?  And if so, would it be better for him to have the skies, or ponies he knows to help him adjust?”  Celestia began sorting through some of the papers Flashfire had passed to her, organizing them as a first pass at deciding where to post everypony.

Flashfire sat silently. Letting his quill pen lay on the desk he stared at the papers before him a moment. "What do I think? If you wore the same armor any guard did, you would have known that the hint of a threat to the kingdom is a serious matter, never to be taken as lightly as you have. You would have faced it head on. Perhaps guiding those that can save the kingdom, but never hiding the fact about it to your ponies. Of all the things I am, will not willingly endanger my fellow ponies so I can play puppet master from a back stage. I think you should have stepped down long ago. Let a council of equal number preside. But what do I know? I'm just cannon fodder. Now as for Bunch Bolt, I will say it once more. The only friends any of my ponies here have, are within the barracks. And even then the distrust of the uniform runs strong. You may speak to him at your leisure. He is stationed by the school today."

Turning to face her he spoke softly. "As for me. You and I both know those buttery speeches you give only have so much sugar on them. The last commander of this particular barracks was discharged for far less than anything you saw my ponies say or do. My conviction died long ago Celestia. My faith in this kingdom and all the honor that went with it. My sole concern for the last four years, has been my guards and the ponies they protect. This may well be the least important district in the whole of Canterlot. But its MINE. These are my ponies, and they are my sole concern."

Having said his piece he returned to the paper work. Levitating the pot of tea over and pouring himself another cup. "forgive my tone, I find it hard to believe that even a foal would be so blind as to not see that there is always an ugly underbelly to everything. The world is not made of rainbows and bunnies. Rather they are the frosting on a cake made of dirt and sweat. All any pony ever sees is that crown. They don't see you, or your mistakes. The same they look at me. They see the armor, and rank. To most ponies, even other guards, an officer is above reproach. The common pony sees you and I as things. Placements meant to bring them peace of mind. I know you have your own struggles, but do not come into my home where my family lives... My guard ponies... and pretend that you know anything about them. You barely know any pony anymore. If you wanted to see what they went through, please, disguise yourself and go for a stroll. Bunch lets the local school foals draw on his armor, because it makes them feel safer around us. They see the armor and spears and swords and it scares them. So he lets them draw on him and takes an hour a night to clean it off for the next day. My own Lieutenant car barely stomach the look of herself in them mirror anymore. Not because she has failed at things, but because she is very good at them. A fight broke out last week. she bucked both stallions into a wall and held them there until back up arrived. Even Stormstride was a better guard than some of the ones I have seen. She bent the rules, and ignored orders. But her madness had reason and method. And her results were nothing to sneeze at. And while they disagree and argue, all of my ponies can do the same. Most of my ponies here only get along with the common folk because they came from these folk. They...." 

He paused, putting a hoof to the bridge of his nose. reaching into a drawer he looked rather ashamed as be brought out a small case and opened it. Inside was a pair of glasses. Slipping them on, he sighed. Rubbing his forehead and horn like he had a throbbing headache. But that tone he took, it was very possessive and protective. As if he were the only thing standing between his ponies and some unknown threat. he scoffed softly, "15 years of training for this... 15 years pouring my soul into what I do, and I cant even figure out how to get my own ponies to talk to me."

For what it was worth, Flashfire had some reasonable points.  He wasn't wrong that Celestia could have done more at various times, and had such arguments been presented differently, perhaps by another pony, Celestia would certainly have been inclined to listen.  There was an ongoing debate inside her head about how much distance from the populace was too much, and how much help was overbearing, and even if a pony brought up no new points there was still some value to be gained from the discussion.  In this particular case however, it seemed like her discussion partner wasn't really listening.  Oh sure, he could parrot back what the topic was, and he had his own thoughts on or points to make about the subject, but Flashfire didn't acknowledge any of her concerns that did not match precisely with his own.  He wasn't really considering her side of the issue, merely using it as a jumping off point to further his own agenda.

Reminded of their words moments ago, Celestia thought it was nothing short of a miracle that Flashfire lasted this long, considering how little tact he displayed.  She had no doubt that he had, at least at one time, been a very devoted soldier, but a garrison commander cannot survive long on just that.  One also needed some understanding of how to navigate both the public and military spheres, and more importantly how one influenced the situation and ponies around them.  That there was a garrison of which the local ponies were so afraid that foals needed to doodle on the guard's armour to feel comfortable, was news to her, and as far as she knew it was the only post with such a situation.  It would clearly need to be watched, if the next commander suffered similar difficulties then this garrison point had a particular problem and a new strategy would have to be devised.  Whether or not it was truly his fault however, Flashfire would need a break from command, to recover if nothing else.

There was only one point Flashfire had made that Celestia felt the need to comment on.  “You suggest I am not aware that Equestria is hardly perfect, and has its share of malcontents and agitators.  Listening to you however, one would believe that flaws and troublemakers are all that exist.”  She paused, considering going further, but decided against doing so.  No good could come of it, it would seem, at least not yet.  If any change was to come to the commander, it would have to be through his own efforts and reflection on the issues.  “I don't believe there is any more worth saying,” she said eventually, ready to move on.  She nodded to Flashfire.  “I appreciate your assistance with moving the soldiers around, I believe it will make the transition much more smooth.”  Celestia stood up, and began moving toward the door, not expecting any further response from Flashfire.  “And now if you will excuse me, I must go speak to Bunch Bolt.”

Archived