I need to use the old mobile mode. How do I do this?

Hi. I've been away for a while due to horrible IRL stuff.

The new "Mobile mode" layout has too many images and gimmicks that eat up mobile data so much it isn't even slightly funny. I'm not going to call it trash, it does look kinda cool, but a mobile mode should result in a minimum of data usage.

If there is an option in the corner to select the skin you use, and "Minimal mobile mode" or "Actual mobile mode" are options, like 50% of all forums, tell me how to see it. If it's instead something you change in your Account Settings, tell me how I change that. Because the way it is now, if I can't seriously tone down the amount of data this site uses, I don't think I'll be able to use it.

To me it sounds like a caching issue on your phone -- e.g. it should be storing assets that it downloads so you don't get pegged for data usage each time you reload a site. I would highly suggest checking the storage options on your phone before asking us to reconsider an entirely new layout and skin -- an undertaking that could take many, many hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a bit late, but I thought a slightly more technical answer to the question might be helpful.

IPS4 uses responsive design, meaning UI elements are scaled according to your user agent (ie: desktop, mobile, tablet, etc.).  Data use for the mobile-scaled UI should be far less than for the desktop-scaled UI due to how the software detects reacts to your user agent.

If you are still concerned about mobile browsing, you should look into the Tapatalk app, which is available for both Android and iOS.  It will probably better suit the text-based mobile experience you are looking for.

Archived