Official Discussion Thread - S06E6 No Second Prances

trixie_by_ponykillerx-d4n4ebc.png

Best Unicorn!  Was there any doubt? :shifty:

Another week and another episode with the adorable ponies we all love!  This time Starlight Glimmer, Twilight's first student of friendship has finally made a new friend.  A great and powerful friend!   How will Twilight react to her faithful student's taste in ponies?  Will there be a new battle as an old (and of course, stunning) nemesis returns? Who is the most powerful unicorn now Twilight is an alicorn? Tune in to find out!  The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on April 30th! :)<3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :)

I loved Cranky's line at the end with Celestia:  How do you get your hair to do that?  I cracked up!  At first, I thought that the pointing out of background ponies felt a little bit on the forced side, but Cranky sold it for me.  

Stixie? Not sure, but I kind of approve...

Great episode. Really funny. Love the bits with Celestia. Her reactions and the whole ending scene.

Trixie was great here. I love how they portrayed her as genuinely regretful but still having a deep jealous streak. Just the right way to approach her post Magic Duel. Pairing her in an episode with Starlight was a brilliant stroke. Very effective stuff. Great first showing for our first Starlight episode that isn't a two part event one.

Actually probably the best of the season to this point for me.

It was wonderful seeing Trixie again, and being matched with Starlight to boot. Good episode today, and hope to see more from the redeemed magician duo in future episodes. :D

I did watch the episode.

But I need some time.

I seriously don't know what happened. I really don't. This is literally the first time I've been in a situation where I have no idea what to do.

I'll be doing some serious contemplating. Hopefully I can post something tomorrow. But it may take longer. We'll see.

That's about all I can say.

3 hours ago, Bellosh said:

It was wonderful seeing Trixie again, and being matched with Starlight to boot. Good episode today, and hope to see more from the redeemed magician duo in future episodes. :D

1000x this. This has easily become my new favourite episode of the series, let alone the season.

I really did enjoy this one, more so than the last Trixie episode (Magical Duel), it just seemed like it did her redemption wayyyy better.  Also seeing Starlight trying to make friends and failing hard because her methods still need work.  Although seeing Big Mac suddenly turn into a motormouth was hilarious.

It was a great episode! Favorites below!

Spoiler
  • Trixie! Love to see her teaming up with Starlight Glimmer. I used to not like Trixie, but since Magic Duel I've been warming up to her. She has a complex personality, trying to look great and powerful while trying to redeem herself and her pride. Perfect friendship pairing of two redemptive characters. 
  • Twilight Sparkle- It was actually refreshing seeing her not letting go of her feelings about Trixie. It's good to show that the Princess of Friendship isn't perfect and that it's true, we've all either been jealous or hold grudges. 
  • Eloquent Big Mac? 
  • Cranky asking the most important question in MLP: How does Celestia get her mane to float? 
  • DJ Pon3 and Derpy! 
  • Rainbow Dash's look when Starlight asks what a Wonderbolt is! 

Hi guys.

So... I'm finished contemplating things. I know it's only been a day, but, I was off from work this weekend so I was able to stay up until 3 a.m. watching Toonami stuff and, as I stated, I didn't do this half-way. I spent all of last night and some of today thinking about it.

I've made my decision. Whether people choose to accept it... will be entirely up to them. Because there are going to be those who refuse to hear what I have to say because of what I've previously done. Which is fine and I understand that. There are even those who will think this is some sort of ruse and that there won't be any change and I'll eventually go back to my 'old self.' Which is fine too.

I won't change their minds but I assure you this isn't a ruse. I wouldn't concoct something like this to fool people. That's not something I do.

Anyway since I don't know who will actually take the time to see what I've decided, I'll post it in spoilers as always. It will be entirely up to you whether you choose to read it or not. Here goes...

Let me get the negative stuff out of the way first. I'll end with the positive stuff. See? That's different isn't it? Anyway, I'm not going to completely change. Because I don't really see a reason to do that. There are some things when it comes to this that more than likely won't be changing. For example, my opinions on the Equestria Girls movies are unchanged and will remain so. Sorry?

:unsure:

Also... I still can't bring myself to like how Starlight's redemption was done or even her motivation for everything she did. I'm sorry but I just can't. I still feel like both of those things weren't very well done at all and were bad/made no sense at all. (I'm legitimately trying to use nice words here. More shocks I know)

I can't really change who I am as a person because I don't really see a particular reason to do that. It's not something I can think I can do. So there are aspects of me that more than likely won't change.

Now...

This episode effected me. A LOT. Why? The content. Giving second chances. Now at first... as I watched this episode I was kind of going 'lolnope.'

But as the episode progressed... and I saw Starlight's (yes I just used her name don't have a heart attack please) struggle and even Trixie's struggle to a degree. I was speechless. Quite literally actually.

Second chances...

I don't tend to give these out. It's not something I normally do. Ever. Which is the truth as I'm sure you all have seen and know.

But I don't know... it's just everything that occurred in this episode. It was almost like Starlight and Trixie to a smaller degree were speaking directly to me specifically. Now obviously that isn't true but it's what I felt at the time.

I can't give second chances? That is true. Most of the time I can't. When someone does something wrong I tend to just immediately assume that they're a bad person and just continue on that assumption to the point where I just outright ignore them and don't even allow them to show me that they're not. Is this bad? Honestly... it probably is. But I'm not sure this is something I can change either.

Now... I still am unsure of Trixie. Because of what she did and flat out admitted where she used Starlight just to beat Twilight. But her struggle at the end got to me too.

What effected to me to the point where I didn't know what to do was this episode and this episode alone. I legitimately thought the show would never effect me this much again and I have once again been proven wrong.

Second chances huh?

To me... my second chances are more like 'last chances.'

If they do anything else similar to what they originally did... then that means they are rotten to the core. For me anyway. Is this true? Again probably not but it's just the way I handle this. Whether you want to accept that or not is also your choice.

Alright fine.

I can't believe I'm doing this. I really can't. But this episode effected me too much. It really did. This isn't a joke and I'm being 100% serious.

I will give Starlight Glimmer and Trixie a second chance. HOWEVER... they aren't my favorite characters and I don't think they ever will be. Keep in mind though that my 'second chances' are more like 'last chances.'

But a word of caution guys... I will be keeping an eye on them very closely. If they do anything else that's similar to what they did... then that proves they really are bad. To me anyway.

That's just my thinking on all of this and the decision I've made. Which is obviously final.

Whether you choose to accept my thoughts/my decision on this... is also entirely up to you.

So there you go.

No heart attacks. :P

P.S.: I LOVED the blabbing Big Mac part and the Slice is Life-like Vinyl Scratch, Cranky, and Derpy part. :P

Decent episode.

Yours truly,

Second-Chance-is-Last-Chance New (?) LostSanity

*goes to sulk in a corner over everything I've done*

:sad:

Loved the episode.  I was amazed by how they were able to portray emotions without going overboard...and actually seem sincere about it!

The very second Starlight talked to the pony we all know and love behind her in the hair salon was a pretty sweet surprise.

I loved Trixie's character, her flaws are so pitiful, which is what makes her feel like a real person!

Twilight's reaction was something I sort of saw coming, but the reaction was still very good. It showed the Princess some flaw with being a friendship tutor.

I enjoyed this episode...I did roll my eyes a little when two fan-favorite characters popped in for the sake of popping in, and they could have just had Cranky and it would have been the same..And his bit at the end did cause me to almost wake up my roommate.

I really like how they're tossing more diverse looking background characters in the new episodes...No more Lyra clones!

13 hours ago, tacobob said:

I enjoyed this episode...I did roll my eyes a little when two fan-favorite characters popped in for the sake of popping in, and they could have just had Cranky and it would have been the same..And his bit at the end did cause me to almost wake up my roommate.

I really like how they're tossing more diverse looking background characters in the new episodes...No more Lyra clones!

The show's creator mentioned that, they were confused as to why people were getting mad that they were using background characters that were THERE to be USED.

Archived