Official Discussion Thread - S06E11 Flutter Brutter

flutter_butter_swutta_by_ncmares-d9vmp89

The real question being is she the most adorable mare ever? 

Another week and another episode with the adorable ponies we all love!  This week we get our first episode focused on the shyest of the mane six, Fluttershy, but this isn't any ordinary Fluttershy episode, this time we finally after six seasons, get to meet her family showing once and for all pegasai aren't born out the business end of of rain clouds!  :Flutter: Will she remember she can be assertive this time around? :( Let's hope so! Tune in the find out! The episode airs Saturday 11:30 AM EST on June 4th!! :) <3

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk. :blush:

Well. That was a great episode. Had several moments that made me burst out laughing.

Spoiler

Mostly with Zepher hitting on RD. Dude, she's not into you. She might not even swing that way.

Though that latter part might be informed by my headcanon that Dashie is asexual.

I also like how Zepher brought out a side of Fluttershy we haven't seen much of. This would explain Fluttershy's additude with Pinkie's comment during Griffon the Brush Off (oh my celestia I just got that pun what us wrong with me), maybe?

Really loved this episode, largely just for how great Flutterhsy was in it. She was wilful, but balanced. It showed that she really had taken her lessons to heart and had grown as a pony. Seeing her stand up for her parents and also guide her brother in the right direction, it was really great. It was a performance strong enough that, in combination with Applejack's poor portrayal last  week, I'm now wondering if Fluttershy is no longer my least favorite mane six.

As for the brother, he was an obnoxious ball of cringe, but that was the intent. It worked for me. I know for some people it's probably too much, but seeing him spread his failure everywhere, I found it amusing. Also, his interactions with Rainbow are priceless for how palpably not interested she is.

Good to meet the parents too. After six seasons it was about time the gaps of where Fluttershy came from were filled in.

So yeah. Like it a lot. Best Fluttershy episode since Keep Calm and Flutter On. After a stumble, season six is back on track.

Thoughts are below in spoilers as always.

Spoiler

Let me start by saying that I was so happy that we finally got to see Fluttershy's parents. I like that the show is doing this for all the characters because there are still some characters whose families are 'unknown' and now Fluttershy isn't one of those characters (Rainbow Dash still is though...) :)

Now we know where Fluttershy got her shyness, quite voice, demeanor, and occasionally being unable to stand up for herself. :P

Anyway... onto the episode...

Zephyr Breeze... was quite the opposite to Fluttershy. Shockingly so. Almost makes me think he was adopted or something. He's just no where close to Fluttershy or her parents personality wise. As the episode went on, this guy just proved how much of an idiot and jerk he can be.

Plus he kept thinking Rainbow Dash liked him. UM... NO. :roll:

How this guy kept screwing up is beyond me... but I guess being scared of failure is something that you can get. But you really just have to keep trying and even if you do fail, that allows to learn a lesson out of it, and grow from it.

The moral seemed somewhat like 'common sense' to me but that could just be me.

Either way this one was certainly better than the last and I quite enjoyed it.

Stay away everyone!! Fluttershy is 'peeved'!! :lol:

Pretty decent episode.

:smirk:

For anyone who thought Trenderhoof was an obnoxious git, he looks like an angel compared to Zephyr Breeze.  I know people like him, so I am glad to see MLP address this kind of person.  

For everyone who mentioned Zephyr making eyes at Rainbow Dash, did any of you catch his parents saying the same at the end of the episode when she had lunch with them?  I'm wondering if he got the idea from his parents, who think she's a good fit for him.  Think about it:  similar enough, has a good job, knows and gets along with the family, can take their son off their hooves.  Matching up their son with Dash would be a good thing for Mr. and Mrs. Shy.  

And also, their last name is Shy.  Twilight's parents last name is Sparkle.  Is the married last name passed on by the woman in Equestria society?  Just a random thought. 

6 hours ago, Cadabra said:

For everyone who mentioned Zephyr making eyes at Rainbow Dash, did any of you catch his parents saying the same at the end of the episode when she had lunch with them?  I'm wondering if he got the idea from his parents, who think she's a good fit for him.  Think about it:  similar enough, has a good job, knows and gets along with the family, can take their son off their hooves.  Matching up their son with Dash would be a good thing for Mr. and Mrs. Shy.  

And also, their last name is Shy.  Twilight's parents last name is Sparkle.  Is the married last name passed on by the woman in Equestria society?  Just a random thought. 

I think they were more implying the opposite, that Zephyr talks about the thing Rainbow obviously has for him so much, that the parents have started to believe him.

As for the names, yeah, hard to really know how that works at all. I mean, considering that all of the Pie sisters do have the family name (though it's inherited from their father rather than mother, the only one in the family who doesn't use the Pie name), and none of the brother characters do (even Big Mac doesn't have the word Apple in his name), it seems that way, but we also see that in some cases, like with the Cakes, the male child gets it too, and there are cases where there is a family name present and the female child doesn't get it (Diamond Tiara), not to mention situations where none of the ponies in a family have related names at all(Rarity's family, Shining/Cadance/Flurry Heart).  

Names likely follow a different convention. Could be age or status, or decided by the couple, or any number of things.

Episode was good. Zephyr is worst pony though.

This episode was pretty good. 

Spoilers below! 

Spoiler
  • We got to see Fluttershy's Parents! Yay! Interesting to see how they respected their daughter's choice to be independent and live in Ponyville and how the two are very much like their daughter. 
  • Zephyr Burst. Even if you don't have a sibling like me, you see these types in work, school or in life. Zephyr is a great counter to Fluttershy. I have to say that it was eye opening how sometimes we all have the zephyr moment where we can do more in life but for whatever reason we don't. 
  • Rainbow Dash. Sorry you got hit on again and again by Zephyr.
  • Fluttershy saying Peeved = Adorable. Also the pony blocking the foal's ears only added to that. 
  • The song was cute as well. I think this was the first brother/ sister song besides "Big Brother Best Friends Forever" which was just Twilight singing about Shining Armor. 

It was a fun watch and expanded the lore behind Fluttershy's family. 8/10

7 hours ago, Lux said:

The song was cute as well. I think this was the first brother/ sister song besides "Big Brother Best Friends Forever" which was just Twilight singing about Shining Armor. 

How could you forget the lovely song Big Mac and Apple Bloom sung together in Brotherhooves Social? :P

By far one of the funnier episodes I've seen in a long time.

Spoiler

Zephyr is gonna need another episode before I can safely remove him from my WORST PONY list.

I mean. SERIOUSLY.  lB0XHNu.png

He made Fluttershy's (and his) mother cry.

YwjdYAv.png

And while his constant hitting on Rainbow was a hoot.

He still made his mum cry.

BO0wzH4.png

And also that man er, stallion-bun.

Also, wonder if their mother's name is Posey? Would make sense.

That episode was dull, uninteresting, cliche, hackneyed, and really terrible. Zephyr's an offensive stereotype of art students, complete with manbun, inability to hold down a job or do well at it, and CHOOSING TO DEVIATE AND MAKE HIS OWN MANESTYLES... BECAUSE FOLLOWING THE BOOKS TAKES EFFORT.

As an artist, that ticked me off, but not as much as OOC RD and Pinkie and EVERYONE.

That's a big problem with this terrible season so far: characters are forced to fit in holes, whether they'll fit or not. They're put into cliche stock plots with no original twists.

5 hours ago, CleverPony72 said:

That episode was dull, uninteresting, cliche, hackneyed, and really terrible. Zephyr's an offensive stereotype of art students, complete with manbun, inability to hold down a job or do well at it, and CHOOSING TO DEVIATE AND MAKE HIS OWN MANESTYLES... BECAUSE FOLLOWING THE BOOKS TAKES EFFORT.

As an artist, that ticked me off, but not as much as OOC RD and Pinkie and EVERYONE.

That's a big problem with this terrible season so far: characters are forced to fit in holes, whether they'll fit or not. They're put into cliche stock plots with no original twists.

I'm pretty sure required hairstyles is actually a thing.

I'm not sure I see how the ponies were OCC. Fluttershy was using her tough-love she learned from the Breezies, and if I had a brother like Zephyr I'd be pretty peeved too. RD seemed pretty in-character. If you're refering to when she bailed on the situiation, making an excuse about Pinkie Pie, I don't see why she would have wanted to stick around this guy. Besides, what exactly could she have done? It's Fluttershy's brother. Thus, it would ultimately be up to Fluttershy to deal with him. And I don't even get how Pinkie was OOC. She was only there for a minute. Yeah, she was a bit loopy when it came to that wallet joke, but she's always been like that. This is not "being distraced by a balloon" bad.

It actually felt the most realistic to me, because of the similarities. a lot of people on this site, if not all of the fit a creative-style personality, which is prone to lack of motivation. I have this problem - got a oool idea but can't be bothered. Shy's bro really seems to show a more realistic character, albeit exaggerated to a point.

• 2 months later...

Just watched this -- yeah I know I'm totally totally late.

This is probably one of the best Fluttershy episodes I've ever seen. We're actually seeing her personal development at work rather than forgotten to embrace her shy trope for the story du jour. Also it was interesting finally seeing her family.

9/10

Archived