[Not Sponsored] Rosebush Dates

The young DJ was wearing something very un-DJ like.  Her traditional tuxedo was schemed red and white, with an accent on the sparkling ruby brooch.  She lacked her usual dreadlocks, rocking instead a tall ponytail.  Her shimmery mane hung loose and long.  Her wings were finely preened, feathers oiled slick to accompany her 'look'.  Indeed, Nightingale was not here tonight with the same purpose as her previous attendants.  In fact, she was so serious about tonight's goal that she had opted to use her birth name instead of her name-name.  Ebony Radiance; not Nightingale.     

She gave a smirk as she began the sweet tunes of folk romance songs.  She had set up a small stand near the rosebushes, eager to play a new role at this year's Grand Galloping Gala.  

Matchmaker.

Coming to the Gala with half of a heart?

Looking for some fun tonight?

Eager to meet a gorgeous mare or a handsome stallion?

Come one, come all

Ebony's Rosebush Moonlit Dates*

*terms and conditions apply.  See  Ebony Radiance for details.

She grinned, and propped the red-on-white sign in front of a rosebush.  A few picnic blankets were laid out for prospect couples, with bowls of punch, light snacks, and 'conversation starter' cards on top.  Granted-this stand was not technically approved by whatever this Gala was organized by, but her cunning little mind was curious to see how many ponies would actually pop by and check out...or maybe partake in, her stand.

With that, she stood beside her stand-let a pleasant smile fall upon her face, and awaited 'one-hearted ponies'.

sml_gallery_475_9_8090.jpgMojo

sml_gallery_475_9_55339.jpgStarflower

Walking towards Ebony's sign were two ponies, one, a medium build Paint Earth stallion who's peace sign cutie mark was visible though he wore a half-tuxedo jacket.  With him was a taller, unicorn mare who wore a very elegant long blue evening gown.  They were that hippie brony Mojo and his older friend, Nurse Starflower.

"Check out the sign, love," Mojo spoke in his noticeably British accent.  "Now this is the place for a swingin' stallion like me ta find a cute babe!  C'mon Star, betcha if ya came with me, you could find a dashing guy for yourself."

"Stop calling me, love, Mojo!" Starflower retorted, "I'm your friend, NOT your sweetie!  Besides, I'm too old to this sort of thing."

"If ya say so, doll," the Paint stallion said with a smile.

"Wait a minute!  Are you saying I AM old?"

"Chill out, Star!  I was only agreeing with ya.."

"Agreeing with ME?  I'll prove to you that I'm not some 'over the hill' mare!  I WILL come with you, only to prove to YOU that I am capable of attracting a date!  GOT IT?"

"It's cool, it's cool, after you," Mojo said, bowing slightly as the periwinkle furred unicorn mare walked towards Ebony with Mojo following behind her.

"Hello, Ebony is it?  My name is Starflower and, well, I.."

"Me tall gal pal here wants ta find a date, and so do I.  Name's Mojo, and romance is me game, babe!"

For a second, she settled back into her old, "Nightingale" self-smirking at the hippie pony and an older mare.  She leaned against the sign, with her 'wanna-mix-off' look on her face.  

W-wa-wait!  These aren't ponies coming into my fab DJ party!  This isn't a DJ rav!  

And then she remembered that she was Ebony Radiance for the night, and that she was here to act as a matchmaker.  She smoothly slid the smirk into a sweet smile, her off-hoofed position into a sleek post, and spoke in a well-practiced, charming voice, "Welcome, to Ebony's Rosebush Moonlit Dates!" She stuck a hoof over to shake the two ponies', "Now, are you two looking for a delicate rosebush moonlit date with each other?  Or with any handsome stallion or gorgeous mare that may pass by?"

She ended her words with a soft pause, smiling away.  But her mind raced, Yes, yes please.  Please be looking for a date with each other.  That would be most...interesting.   

NG2PNG_zps3cbwdfne.png

Night Glider was happy to be here, even if it was by pure, unadulterated luck. The suddenness of it all excused her somewhat simple, one tone dress as well as the fact she had yet to make her entrance into the ballroom. A bit of shyness and social paralyzation could go a long way to ensuring a pony was incapable of much beyond the basics, after all. If she had known what it al entailed maybe she wouldn't have gone ahead and submitted herself to the little raffle her town had held. But oh well, here she was and she could think of worst things she could be doing. Like sleeping at home. Was that worst? Was it worst or was it best? Hard to tell sometimes. Luckily she hadn't been on the receiving of those famed high society glares like she thought she would be. Success?

It had started back at town, when somepony had gotten a hold of tickets for the Gala. Was it because one had been sent to every town or they had friends in high places? Maybe. She didn't know. She also hadn't known that it was being sold off in a raffle because she had been working all night and sleeping all day. She entered it because it seemed like what everypony else was doing and she had won! Woo hoo? Kinda anyway. She guessed it wa an honor but she wasn't much of a social butterfly. It too much of their town to properly prepare her for this night but she wasn't sure if it was really working out the way they had intended. She was trying to be a representative of their town that said, "See, we're not crazy Starlight cultists anymore, please stop printing those stories, pretty please, please," and she guessed it was okay.

But she still hadn't entered the ballroom and sought something else to suit her needs. With that on her mind she flew by some sort of date stand. She sold dates? She hadnt had a date in a while. but date pies could be delicious. She flew down. "How much for a bag of a dozen dates?" She asked with a smile, not reading much as she leafed through her bitpurse for some money.

Starflower's face turned a fierce, angry red when Ebony suggested that she date Mojo.

"I don't want to date THIS stallion!  He's absolutely not my type!"

"An' yur too old for me.."

"And I'm too old for him!   HEY!" the tall unicorn mare neighed as she turned and snorted at the Paint stallion. 

"Remember doll, ya said it first," Mojo calmly said until he noticed the newest arrival, Night Glider.  When the Pegasus mare asked about the cost of a 'dozen dates,' the opportunistic Earth pony rushed over and flashed his trademark toothy smile.

"I won't charge ya a single bit, babe," the grinning stallion said softly, "An' I'll even give ya a money back guarantee!  If yur not completely satisfied, I'll gladly refund all yur kisses!"

"Oh for the love of.." Starflower grunted, shaking her head and rolling her eyes before turning her head towards Ebony once more.  "Forgive my earlier outburst, but as your sign advertises, I am looking for a date, perhaps a rugged, handsome stallion who is, well, closer to my age, if you know what I mean.  Good luck with finding the perfect date for Casanovacolt over there.  I've known him for years, and he's clearly an oddball."

As Nurse Starflower awaited a response from Ebony, Mojo was still trying to work his, charm, on Night Glider.

"Name's Mojo, and what is your lovely name, gorgeous?"

The next mare the approached her puzzled her.  

A dozen dates?  

A DOZEN DATES?!?!?!?

"Wow-well aren't you a playmare?" she teased.  The mare wore a simple dress, but her attitude would surmise all expectations of simplicity.  In all honesty, Nightingale hadn't thought much...or rather, Ebony hadn't thought much, of pricing.  

Then, a clever smile danced on her lips, "One bit for every smile or laugh you make per date," 

She turned back to the older mare and hippie stallion, who seemed to be bickering about age.  The stallion-now known as Mojo-approached the playmare.  She took a deep breath and let her eyes drift to the older mare, "I'm sure there will be the perfect stallion for you soon," 

NG2PNG_zps3cbwdfne.png

Wait, playmare? Why would she be a playmare? Was there some game with dates that she wasn't aware of? About the most adventurous thing she could think of regarding dates were making pies with them, maybe mixed with some apples. Her friend called it a Dated Apple, and guffawed about it for hours it seemed like. But this was different. "I'm sorry, do you not sell dates? Did I-" she started speaking, then looked at the sign closer. Oh. Ohhhhhh,. Okay, she was very much wrong and blushed. She thought this was a date, as in the fruit, selling stand. Not as in kissy kissy dates. Well, she was a stupid idiot, queen of all idiots. 

Just as she started to ruminate on the failures of her reading comprehension something else compounded her failures. Apparently she had made herself so available by blabbing about a dozen dates like a tart that a stallion hit on her. Kind of. Was this being hit on? She never had been. She thought until not log ago it involved actual violence, so this was better. She guessed. She laughed awkwardly, eyeing both of them. "Oh, Oh! Oh! Oh! I made a horrible mistake. I thought this was a date stand- for the fruit, you know, dates. Not...umm...swinging."

YPqzNU8.png

His quest to find a cyan colored caped had failed, in the end.

Though the powers of Light knew not defeat, for he had eventually triumphed with an outfit of Pure and Unending Righteousness! 

Said outfit complimented his frame quite nicely, if the REA guard did say so himself - and as much as his heart hurt to leave behind his trusted Daybreak, carrying a spear would not have accentuated the stark lines and rich fabrics of his cloths all too well. Plus, what with the sharp end poking ponies on the dance floor. Still, even if the threat of danger dared rear its woe-begone head upon this blessed night, he would be all too ready to unleash the fury of his mighty Spear Hoof, rendering all who sullied this glorious occasion of friendship and harmony into the blackened abyss to rot for all eternity!

For a Hero's duty was never finished.

...Though it may idle in deference to some rather delicious looking snacks.

"Down, spear hoof," Dawnguard commanded as a waiter passed him by, a tray filled with some sort of puff pastry deserts balanced precariously atop his head. His traitorous stomach didn't obey nearly so well, letting out a soft growling that had the white Pegasus momentarily groaning into the wind, head held upwards in agony. He had forgone a meal this evening, certain of the feast awaiting inside the most prominent of events in Canterlot...but it seemed he had arrived too early to partake, for the great sprawling dishes of food he'd been expecting remained elusive and aloof. Not that mere lack of sustenance would be enough to prevent the bloodline of heroes roiling through his veins from exacting its Avenging Justice upon the wicked - 

...But still. A smattering of mulberry and cucumber sandwiches definitely wouldn't hurt.

Though perhaps his salvation was already at hoof, as a raised voice suddenly caused Dawnguard's ears to perk up, eyes widening exactly. A date stand? For the fruit? The perfect, albeit temporary, solution to the hunger gnawing so vigorously at his belly, and the white Pegasus eagerly followed the voice 'round a bush, ending up in front of a...booth? 

Ah, the booth for the date vendor, undoubtedly!

"You've dates here?" Dawnguard demanded, head craning over the ponies in front of him to peer at the sign. Ebony' Rosebush Moonlit Dates...ah yes, this certainly seemed the place! There were even blankets spread throughout the lawn for ponies to enjoy their purchased fruits in comfort. And even more luckily for him, the line seemed not too far along, filled with ponies he didn't recognize - and one he did! "Ah, the Maiden of Fated Duality!" the REA guard proclaimed loudly, the contrasting colors of Good and Evil making the mare easily identifiable as the one who'd so valiantly taken charge during Winter Wrap-Up. 

"It would appear the stars have aligned betwixt us for a second meeting," Dawnguard intoned with a fierce smile, spear hoof held in front of his face as he fixed the dark coated yet light maned mare with his eyes. For indeed, it was their second such meeting with one another. A third meeting rang of fate, mere chance erased in the face of destiny, for the invisible red strands of life to forever be woven between them, whether for ill or for good. 

Preferably for good. A negative relationship could forever tip the mare's delicate balance between Light and Darkness into the latter!

(Nya!  Dates or dates?  I prefer the nice fruit.)

A very, very eccentric stallion stepped forth.  Claiming some form of heresy of "Maiden of Fated Duality" and "star alignment".  She blinked at him, "Uhh...hi?"

It was so...cringe-worthy that she left her nice, GGG attitude for her old Nightingale self.  

She gave her head a shook, eager to prove her stand for this new...participant.

"Welcome to Ebony's Rosebush Moonlit Dates!  Are you looking for your other half-a-heart?  Then we've got the mare right here!" She gestured towards the older mare.

Mojo listened to Night Glider, now understanding that this lovely Pegasus mare was confused about the true purpose of Ebony's sign and what she was offering.  The Paint Earth mare decided to just, 'go with the flow' and see what happens next.

"Ya seem ta be a bit confused, doll, but that's alright," Mojo said with a smile, "I be like'n dates, the fruit, meself!  Quite a tasty treat an' they bake well too!  I stock dates in me peddler's wagon, along with some other produce from me family's farm.  If ya like, I could take ya there an' give ya some!  No strings attached, and no tricks, I promise.  I'm never try to force meself on one as lovely as you, miss."

Starflower watched their conversation and was amazed with the tact and charm her friend Mojo was displaying.  As the tall unicorn mare pondered what to do next, HE walked in.  Starflower was overwhelmed by the newcomer, Dawnguard.  This stallion looked handsome, dashing, charming, just the kind of stallion she'd love to date!  Her heart racing, her smile growing wider, the well dressed unicorn mare SO wanted to make a good first impression on him.  Slowly, she approached him and then she nervously spoke:

"Hi there handsome, er, I mean, hello sir!  My name is Surse Nartfouler, er, I mean, Furse Dartflower, no no, I meant to say, Nurse Starflower!  No, that's not it, er. oh yeah, yeah that IS my name, Nurse Starflower!  Oh dear, this isn't going well.  Forgive me, I'm rather new at this dating stuff.  Hi!"

Poor Starflower felt SO embarrassed, she hoped Dawnguard wouldn't notice how hard she was blushing beneath her periwinkle facial fur or worse yet, get scared and gallop away from her, taking her heart with him....

NG2PNG_zps3cbwdfne.png

Night Glider felt like such a foal. How could she have misread it? It was true that often times a pegasus had to read something awfully quick and from further away. Even their somewhat superior eyesight could fail them, especially if you were a mare who operated at night and didn't have much need for reading anything that couldn't be covered by candlelight. She should have looked closer but the city was so large and vibrant, the colors so alive and active and the whole thing pulled her current life into clearer focus. Such a crazy city! She only wished she could study the night sky in clearer detail. This was all a pleasant enough distraction from the fact she had been a fool earlier and was now stuck here, being foolish, in front of other ponies, for a time that would stretch into eternity.

But that was just her own stupidity which, as troubling as it was, she could control through her own actions. She couldn't control others. The stallion who had made himself comfortable with her quickly adapted the conversation to bring up the subject of dates. The fruit, which she could really go for now- a little rumbly in the tummy and all that. He offered to take her to the wagon, which wuld be great if not for how absurdly silly she felt. Their one and only relationship string was about a joint approval of a fruit. What a way to kick off her Gala. "Oh, that is a very pleasant invite but I have to decline. I'm not dressed for it-" for the gala yes, but for swinging no, "and I really should-" she started before a very loud stallion got her attention without her being much in the mood for it.

Oh Celestia, it was that Guard from Winter Wrap Up! WHERE WAS HIS WEAPON WAS HE- oh, no weapon. That was an improvement. At least she new he wouldn't be thrusting himself into every pony he saw by accident tonight. He seemed really silly and over-dramatic, but not a bad pony. Except when he had that weapon, he looked too dangerous then. Especially around normal ponies. Why couldn't guards just put their armor and weapons away when they weren't having to fight whoever they needed those weapons to fight? At least he had today. Good guard. Uggh. "H-hi there, Mr. Dawn. It does seem like we meet a lot. Umm. How are you?"

YPqzNU8.png

Hmm...Mr. Dawn was, technically, correct...buuuuuut....

"I-I'm not that old," Dawnguard muttered a bit feebly, before shaking off the greeting and standing a bit straighter, affecting an appropriately mysterious look. "Please, fair maid of Light and Darkness, we have defied the roll of the dice to meet again! No formalities can be seen betwixt two simmering stars as they careen towards each other on an ever shining path to Righteousness." A brief pause. "You may also refer to me as, 'The Righteous Avenger of Justice'," the white Pegasus added, a pleased look falling over his face as he imagined being introduced in the main hall. His father had staunchly refused to allow him to register his name as such on the guest list...but, the bloodline of heroes could not be so easily suppressed!

Though before the REA guard could reassured the mare in front of him of that fact, a new voice suddenly made itself known to him - even if the words did not. 

Other...other, half of heart?...

Did this mysterious vendor of dates know of Daybreak, his trusted spear resting so idly in the barracks? Was that what she was referring to? And even is she was, the words made little sense. The bloodline of heroes ensured a strong and powerful heart, two halves cleaved together by the unrelenting fury to Avenge all the wrongs of the world, keeping the raw power roiling inside his spear hoof sure-hoofed yet under control. To be missing one half of his heart, a half of his Just driven power...

The consequences would be cataclysmic. 

"No power, in this life nor the next, could ever hope to rend in twain the beating heart of a Chosen Hero who holds back the roiling darkness!" Dawnguard promised, spear hoof clenched tightly to his chest in an effort to contain the RIGHTEOUS FURY threatening to burst out of control at a moment's notice. "Only a select few, those who carry this bloodline, could ever hope to stand fast in the wake of mare right here that - uh?" the white Pegasus stuttered to a stop, the vendor's words finally registering them in his ears as unintentionally repeated them, glancing around for...for a mare right here.

Where was a mare right here?

Which is when a blue mare with a head filled with flowing royal locks slowly made her way towards him, face colored red as a fiery sunset. "H-hey," Dawnguard said, startled, peering at her increasingly reddening face with some concern, "miss, is everything?..." The white Pegasus trailed off hesitantly as the light blue Unicorn spoke up, however, blinking rather rapidly as he attempted to ascertain the meaning behind her stumbling stammers and stuttered sentences. She appeared to be introducing herself to him, as...Nurse Starflower? Yes? No? Ah no, yes. Well, that last bit had definitely been a greeting!

"Hi," Dawnguard parroted back, before realizing he was breaking character, and swiftly back-tracked, "I mean! Greetings, Fated Flower That Blooms Under Starlight! I am a Chosen Hero who stands guard over the rising of the dawn - Dawnguard!" His spear hoof was quick to find itself back in front of his face, once again taking on an expression of extreme angst and mystery as he struggled against the ever oppressing pull of RAW FURY fighting to be unleashed in his spear -

Wait...

"Wait a second," Dawnguard said slowly, still stuck in an awkward pose with his spear hoof held dramatically in front of himself, as his eyes slowly traveled first from Nurse Starflower, to the Maiden of Light and Dark, to land on the date vendor herself, before eventually find their way back towards the periwinkle colored Unicorn. "Date...dating? You're new to...dating?" 

She smiled, happy to see that they were already hitting it off, "Would you like to take a seat?"

She motioned towards an picnic blanket, "No advance payment required-only pay when you're finished!"

Mojo looked a bit disappointed at Night Glider's response to his offer, but within seconds, the Paint stallion's trademark smile returned to his face.

"I get yur drift, doll.." the Earth pony began to say before he too was interrupted by the brash newcomer.  Listening to the conversation that the Pegasus mare and the stallion in the fancy uniform were having, Mojo quickly put two and two together.  "Sounds like yur spoken for already, love."

As Mojo began to slowly back away from the couple, he saw that Starflower was awestruck by Dawnguard.  He felt it was his duty to warn his friend before she got in 'too deep' with this, 'love at first sight' business.

"Star, the big dude's spoken for already," he whispered, but to no effect.  "Starflower?  Yo!  Earth to Starflower!"

Mojo repeatedly waved a front hoof in front of the tall periwinkle colored unicorn mare, but she was still under the 'spell' of love.

"Dawnguard," Starflower uttered dreamily, "you are magnificent!  And such a way with words!  Wanna get hitched?  Er, I mean, well, since YOU are here, and I am here, why don't we BE here together?  What do ya say?"

"Too late, she's done gone bonkers," Mojo said as he turned to speak to Ebony.  "Hey babe, got any more mares on your list that I can hook up with tonight?"

She laughed, giving a pleasant smile, "There's always a mare around the corner~  If not, you can always be my date,"

It was quite an offhoofed statement, and it was only after she had said it did she realize what she had offered.

She tried not to grimace, scream, or tear her mane out.

This.  Sucked.

NG2PNG_zps3cbwdfne.png

Dawnguard tried really very hard to be friendly and pleasant and by Celestia she was sure he meant well. In some ways his manner of speech and the way he viewed the world was endearing, as quaint and silly as it was, but the whole package made him a goof. Aver handsome goof, she had to admit. The REA certainly made sure that their stallions looked dreamy. Was that part of their recruiting? Put handsome stallions and cute mares on the posters so the recruits thought that they too could be made a picture-perfect representation of an Equestrian? It was like they were running a self-help camp or beauty retreat. She had always expected a member of the REA to look weatherbeaten and rough, like they were expecting trouble.

Because of all that rainy marching and stiffening sinews and such, theyw ere supposed to be strong, maybe a bit wiry looking, hard-chinned and rough-looking pack of cool ponies who couldn't really count to ten. At least that was what Starlight had told them many moons ago when somepony had brought up fears about that the REA coming to town and bringing them to heel. She knew it had to be untrue but it was hard to distance your mind from the illusions it had so readily bought into. Nonetheless, she figured she may as well be kind back. And allow hom to get over calling her in such an unusual and weird manner. She had a name, by Celestia. She had a name. 

"Well, Mister Avenger Justice, my name is Night Glider. Night Glider. Enn Iiii Geee Aithc Tee, Gee Ell Iiiii Dee Eeee Arrrrr. It is a pelasure to see you again. What brings you here this evening? Isn't there evil to smite somewhere?" She said semi-sarcastically, aware that in his own little headspace he likely couldn't tell it. The sarcasm also allowed her to smooth into her speech, her usual bundle of nerves replaced with a bit of bite. Of course it would come right back. She couldn't stay right socially for more than a minute it felt like.

But he was now being overwhelmed. There was another mare who was really into the buff handsome warrior type, and she was doing everything but dragging him to a secluded part of the Gala and practicing what she heard her parents doing. Mister Popular. Night Glider stifled a giggle, amused at the sight. well, at least her time at the date stand wasn't a complete waste! 

YPqzNU8.png

It appeared he had made a slight...miscalculation. 

A minor error, really - to err was pony, after all, and even the greatest of Chosen Heroes must sometimes face their own hubris in order to advance and propel forward. In the stories, an error like this would usually present itself as a single moment of tribulation and trepidation, perhaps over a betrayal of words and manners. The wounded party in question would run dramatically off into the darkness, his own hoof outstretched as he cried out her name, despairing in his own foolishness...while deep in the forest, a terrible monster would rise up to grab the sobbing maiden and kidnap her into its lair of ill-gotten treasures, intent on keeping the most beautiful gem of all, and only her scream of pure Love would fall upon his ears, sending him flying off into the darkness, wings outstretched, to valiantly fall upon the monster and strike a killing blow to its heinous body, catching his maiden as she fell and relieving her off into the sunset.

...So they say. As it goes.

But even if that was how the stories usually went, he...well honestly, he was sincerely hoping that his own blunder wouldn't end up similarly. 

...At least not the first part. If his night ended up playing out like the latter, complete with a heroic sacrifice that saved all of Equestria at the last possible second, then that would be amazing.

But no, the former, please no, and Dawnguard helplessly glanced between all company present...still frozen in his dashing pose. With the date vendor's words, and the Star-struck Flower equally star-struck gaze, things were quickly falling into place. Let it be said his mother had raised no fool, after all! The blankets, the atmosphere, the mare who seemed intent on setting pairs of ponies up together -

'Twas no fruit to partake of. 

Instead, there were...date dates, and one rather enthusiastic mare who -

- who liked his way with words -

Which was really a first, because most ponies were usually telling him to stifle it, or save it for the theater. Ha! As if the bubbling passion that rent like a riptide through his veins could possibly be contained to mere theatrics! But even if they were polite about it, Dawnguard honestly could not recall a time when another pony had paid compliment to his superior acting ski - er, to the unbridled FURY that lent itself to every pore of his being!

With this knowledge came a re-flooding of his usual confidence, and Dawnguard at last broke his pose into something a bit more natural - as in, all four hooves on the ground. At least to start with. "A-ah - so, you too can recognize the unbridled bloodline of heroes that courses through my lifestream," Dawnguard responded, a bit uncertain at the looming prospect of the mare's intentions, but unable to resist with her simultaneous words of appreciation. A fair maid had requested his presence for a portion of the evening - hardly an impossible task of a Chosen Hero of Light! "Alas, 'tis a burden too great for any other to bear," he continued, picking up steam, "please keep back! The mighty power of my Spear Hoof must be kept in control at all times, lest it unleashes calamity unto the rising skies." 

Hmm...would she enjoy a soliloquy? He had a few of them memorized...

But before he could reach that decision, the Mare of Light and D - er, Night Glider, was her name - spoke up, expressing pleasure at their second fated meeting. Dawnguard smiled brightly, though his faced dimmed a bit at her mentioning of EVIL. "There is always an evil to be cast down, somewhere," the white Pegasus intoned, a solemn and morose expression falling over his features, "for the powers of Darkness do not sleep. But never worry," he suddenly burst out, spear hoof clenching in front of his face again, "for all the Warriors of Light will fight to the death to keep to roiling blackness at bay. Do not give in to the dark balance you keep," Dawnguard warned gravely, his passion bubbling onto the surface.

Too much passion. So much Avenging. Can't, control!...

Only when he felt the RAW FURY of his Spear Hoof calm did Dawnguard also stand down, letting out a light breath. Having addressed all available parties, the white Pegasus glanced around himself for a moment, before abruptly plopping himself down onto one of the picnic blankets, narrowly avoiding upsetting a punch bowl that was in place. He wished he could speak more to Night Glider, council her against the darkness that fought for control over her very essence - but, Nurse Starflower had very aptly requested some companionship with him for the evening. 

What could possibly go wrong?

"Please, Fair Starflower, take a seat," Dawnguard cajoled, patting the space next to him. The mare was eager for his company - no doubt interested in hearing of all his heroic exploits as an Avenger of Justice against the blackened forces of evil!

Mojo's face brightened when he heard what Ebony Rosebush had to say.

"YEAH, BABY!" the Paint stallion neighed.  "I can dig it!  Really groovy!  You're a great lookin' mare!"

Meanwhile, a still lovestruck Starflower quickly sat down, as Dawnguard had asked her to do.  Her heart was racing, her front hoof palms were sweeting, the tall unicorn mare hadn't felt this way in a very long time!  Though she was nervous, Starflower managed to flash a dazzling smile.  She was completely enthrauled by this Pegasus stallion wearing a dashing uniform!  Could THIS be the 'Prince Charming' she had dreamed of since her youth?

"So, you are a soldier?  How fascinating!  Are you a palace guard or are you a part of the regular Equestrian Army?  Please, tell me all about it!  I would love to hear your stories of bravery and courage!"

She bit her lip, this was just so...so...

cringe-worthy.

She gave a forced half-smile, "So...I'm already made you smile~....that'll be one bit, please,"

Then, out of absolutely nowhere, she started laughing.  And it wasn't a silly, oh-my-celestia-this-stallion-is-handsome laugh.  It wasn't a i-don't-want-to-laugh-but-this-is-totally-forced.  It was a milk-pouring-outta-my-nose-spit-flying-everywhere-and-I'm-toppling-over-in-laughter kind of laugh.  She laughed at the whole situation.  She laughed at the idea of a date stand.  She laughed at the ponies who mistook it for a ...well...date stand.  She laughed that she now had a date with a hippie pony.  She laughed at the theatrical REA.  She laughed at the entire scene, and laughed until...until...

she realized she must have looked crazy.

"Ahem.  Sorry,"

4xIZeMU.jpg

"Mmnn...." an audible yawn escaped the muzzle of a sleepy looking pegasus as she strolled throw the corridor. Having managed to bring herself out of bed to the Gala at her mother's request, Fiver found herself both tired and bored. Yeah,yeah the gala was nice and all but Khamsa had never been the type who could bring herself to care about about all the nice dresses fancy food... and still wasn't fond of the idea of actually being there if anything like she heard went down last time did. Weird slime monster immune to magic swallowing almost the whole thing in mucus. Yuck. At least this one was looking kinda uneventful, and in some places kinda sweet. That cute qilin and caribou over in ballroom she saw looked like they were having fun. 

Despite the urgings of her mother who was... in town, Fiver decided to just go with her usual style tonight. Her mane all messed up and ... well slicked back wasn't the term one coudl describe it so much 'blasted' back; like she's stuck her head in a windtunnel and her mane never got the memo that she'd left it. Around her neck were a pair of simple square shaped flying goggles, bearing a bit of wear around the rubber areas. Last but not least her aviator jacket her preferred garment when she gave the slightest care about what she looked like to other ponies... which nowadays was learning to care less and less about. 

That little gathering by the rosebush looked interesting. If anything it was set to break up the monotony. The messy maned, pegasus flew on over and instantly recognized two of the ponies there. "Oh... " The pegasus flew lazy small circles around the group but stopped around Seeing Dawnguard and Night Glider, "I remember you two. Nice seein' ya both again. Sorry to bother yer uh... oh crop. Did I just interrupt a date?" Compared to her tone when she last saw these two, Fiver seemed rather spaced out. Her voice sounded overly lax and drowsy to the ear and her movements in the air were lazy and listing. Slowly the pegasus lowered herself to the ground and tried to stifle a yawn with only half success. 

Earthen brown eyes looked over to the two next to them and soon she noticed another couple, "... or is it a double date?" She let her eyes wander over the sign, about five blinks later she blurted out in a curious voice, "A date stand? Howssat work?"

YPqzNU8.png

Yes, as he had thought. A truer mind for the exploits of Good, there was not!

"Of course, you understand the raw fury contained within Chosen Heroes of Light," Dawnguard began, spear hoof clenched to his chest, "for it is the duty, the prerogative, of those few who hold the bloodline of heroes within them to both use this power responsibly, and control its Righteous Avenging for Justice!" Said hoof was flung dramatically outwards in front of him, pointing off to some distant future where unthinkable evil would befall upon Equestria, only to be smote down a mountain top to fall into the blackened abyss from whence it came.

"It is a struggle," the white Pegasus confided, forelegs folded in front of him as he turned slightly to face the fair Starflower from fully, "a constant battle within myself to contain the roiling power that is the heritage of my bloodline. Indeed" he was picking up steam now, as he remembered a particularly splendiferous event, "such power almost unleashed calamity and chaos upon the world, not a few moons earlier! A despicable EVIL had descended upon Ponyville, you see, taking the shape of vile black clouds...clouds that sucked out the souls of all the good and innocent ponies caught up in its blackened fervor!" Dawnguard paused, inhaling deeply as he remembered that fateful day, which had almost robbed the sleepy little town everything Light and pure with its sickly tendrils of darkness creeping over the landscape. 

"The battle was fierce - the cost, deadly. The fighting raged over land and sea, and just when every warrior had ever given up hope of triumphing over Evil - SCHWING!" The REA guard hopped up to stand on his hind legs suddenly, mimicking the swipe of a spear to accompany his sound effect. "I arrived!" he exclaimed, "falling down upon the darkness like a raging riptide of JUSTICE, delivering all at the last possible second." Because that was how the hero always saved the day, arriving when absolutely all hope seemed lost to turn the tides! "The power of my mighty spear hoof raged from within me," Dawnguard continued, eyes becoming intensely focused as his story played out inside his head, atop a dramatic backdrop filled with thundering skies and unthinkably encompassing forces of blackened clouds, "and I cut down the villainy clouds," a few more swings of his imaginary spear had him off the picnic blanket, "only just barely keeping control over the cataclysmic power in my Spear Hoof, and, SCHWA!" 

Dawnguard cried out as he dropped into a dramatic pose with both hooves thrown outwards, as if he had just made one final, sliding swipe with a spear through the belly of his cloud-laden enemy. The clouds in his imagination lingered for a moment as he slowly stood, expression grave and burdened and turned towards the skies, before they gave out, their fatal wound causing them to dissipate with one last, ugly shriek, while he stood there, standing tall but limply, the overwhelming power of the bloodline of heroes having once again saved the day.

"A-ah, I'm REA," the white Pegasus abruptly said, having rather suddenly remembered the fair maiden having asked a question before hoof. The reminder of his position had Dawnguard whirling back around towards the mare, snapping a perfectly rigid salute that almost seemed at odds with the posing he'd just been involved in earlier. "Private First Class Dawnguard, at your service!" 

A pause. 

"And also the Avenger of Righteousness." 

Which is when a mare of Many Browns suddenly flew over, seeming to glide through the air rather than actively make use of her wings. She looked awfully familiar, though Dawnguard wasn't able to place a name to the face - the Floating Maiden clearly recognized him however, along with Night Glider, which probably should have told him something...but Dawnguard was still riding too high on his performa - er, his recounting of the vicious battle for Ponyville, to remember clearly. 

Even still, the white Pegasus couldn't help but start a bit as the brown colored mare took note of the stand nearby, having quite forgotten about it. Such was the result when a Chosen Hero could hardly contain the over-bubbling passion for Good and Light! "Flighty Wings of the North, greetings!" Dawnguard called out, settling himself back onto his picnic blanket. "It appears you have stumbled yourself across a want for companionship for the evening, such as this fair Maiden of Flowers," the White Pegasus gestured towards Nurse Starflower here. "You've only to choose a valiant companion and ask them to join you upon the lawn," he instructed, hoof moving to gesture towards the various blankets laid out over the grass, "and thus, seek out each other's company!" 

It was around this time that Chief Master Sergeant of the Wonderbolts-Agile Speeds-walked in.  He honestly hadn't intended to go to the Gala.  His marefriend was sick for the occasion, and had sent him in a taxi with "Go have some fun, meet a cute mare, and don't run into anyone you know".  He had grudgingly agreed, and went to the Gala dressed in...well...the only thing he always felt comfortable wearing: His armour.  

He walked around, noticing Elite ponies with their snobby anterior and smirks.  He noticed the kind waiters and ever-vigilant guards that stood by the sides of the gala.  He saluted them-and a few saluted back.  He saw fellow Wonderbolts, mostly being pestered for photos.  This is why I avoid these events.  Luckily, nopony recognized him-yet.  He wasn't a very performance-registered Wonderbolt, preferring entourage missions and diplomacy.  

He wandered out into the gardens, then froze when he saw Ebony "Nightingale" Radiance.  *squee*.  If she's here, then her father's probably here-too.  The two families were friends, and he had hoped not to run into the REA-crazy Marquis.  Who would lecture him for the entire duration of the Gala about REA-stuff.  He made a quick decision to stay beside Ebony (he would never call her Nightingale)-knowing the Marquis hated her enough to never go near her.

That's when he noticed the stall she was holding.

A bunch of ponies were already gathered around the place, a pair sitting on a picnic blanket.  He smiled, "Hey Ebes.  Whatchou' got here?"  

Ebony gave a smile at her long-time friend, "Hi Agile!  Welcome to Rosebush Dates!  You here lookin' for a mare?  Well-we've got more than one,"

She gestured towards the unproportional number of mares to stallions.

Mojo nodded at Ebony's words as he reached into one of his saddlebags.

"Fair enough, doll, here's one bit and one bit more since I'm about to smile again!" the Paint stallion neighed, once more flashing his dazzling grin.  Meanwhile, the elegantly attired Nurse Starfower continued to be enamored by Dawnguard, clinging to the dashing stallion's every word.  The periwinkle unicorn mare listened with great interest as the Private First Class spoke of his past exploits and heroic deeds.  Starflower was completely taken in by this Pegasus in uniform, nearly fainting when he finally revealed his name to her.  She even squealed with delight when he referred to her as the 'Maiden of Flowers.' 

"Oh Dawnguard, please tell me more about your brilliant career," the unicorn mare uttered dreamily.  Starflower was now in a world all her own, a world consisting only of herself and her 'knight in shining armor.'  She didn't notice anything or any other pony around her.  At this point, even if her tail caught on fire, she'd barely recognize it. 

However, Mojo did take notice of one newcomer, another Pegasus mare who was flying around the area.  Having heard Fiver's words, the hippie brony decided to answer her questions himself.

"C'mon down, this is a real groovy date stand!  Chill out, take in all these good vibes!  I'm Mojo, the Pony of Peace, and you, ya lovely flyin' filly, are in luck!  I'll tell ya how it works.  You meet me, I meet you and then we have a swingin' time together.  How does that sound to ya?"

NG2PNG_zps3cbwdfne.png

In the great land of Equestria Night Glider was sure there was nopony as dramatic as Dawnguard. She was starting to doubt he was honestly a member of the REA and was instead just a very elaborately dressed REA fanboy, because it would be hard to deal with him in any official capacity. When he was told to scrub the toilets did he talk about how removed the evil stains with his mighty spear hoof. Or how he replaced that villainous empty bog roll with his mighty spear hoof. What else did he do with that mighty spear hoof? The ideas boggled the mind.

Then he jumped up and posed dramatically. His recollection of events was far more impressive than what the facts were. It made her doubt pretty much anything he said about anything at any time. If what happened during Winter Wrap Up turned into a battle where souls were being sucked out and there was great calamity. It had been a relatively tame storm. Was Equestria outside of the sanctuary used to nothing but endless sunshine and flowers? They had storms too, right? Most ponies seemed to take to it well enough. She would just put it on him. He was truly silly. "We had a small angry storm cloud. It wasn't that big of a deal," she said to the mare as an side. It wasn't that she was trying to get in the way of a date, but better not get there on a bed of lies! She turned to the nice stallion. "So, do you encounter such...umm...excitable folks like this where you're from?" She asked. He was a pleasant fellow.

And then some Wonderbolts showed up. A pair, form different angles and looking different enough to not be a pair. One looked tired, the other more- umm, stern? Not stern. Stallionly perhaps. "Oh, is the Wonderbolt show already over? Shoot. I've never seen them in action before...my apologies. I'm Night Glider. And I do gues this is a dating stand thing."

It was at this moment, that Agile noticed Wonderbolt Fiver.  A stallion instantly becam a conversation with her, but-nevertheless-he gave her his signature greeting.

"Officer Khamsa," he gave her a nod.  He wasn't in the 'tricks and performances' seciton of the Wonderbolts, so he knew little about this mare.  He had only seen her a few times before, and only when Spitfire was around.  

Huh...so a date stand.  It registered to him quickly, and he realized what Ebony was up to.

"That's not very nice of you, Ebes.  Makin' fun of ponies in love," He gave a *tsk*, before turning another pair of REG's.  A pegasus mare, who seemed most unimpressed with...

Oh.  Dawnguard's here.  No wonder why.

He saluted the mare, "Chief Master Sergeant of the Wonderbolts-Agile Speeds.  I'm not part of the Wonderbolt show, so I can't tell you.  What I can tell you that you are wearing a very beautiful dress," He gave a wink, quickly remember his marefriend's advice of 'meet a cute mare".  

Ebony, on the other hand-was grinning like a madmare.  The ponies were matching up, and there was an even number of mares and stallions.  She quickly flew around to set up some more picnic blankets, before ushering the couples to sit on them.  

And then...Agile's snazzy remark hit her, "Excuse me-mister highandmighty, but I'm not here to make fun of anypony.  I'm here to make sure that all stallions and mares that walk out of here feel like they have both sides of their hearts,"

Archived