Sex: Male

Species: Earth Pony

Eye Color: yellow

Coat Color: light brown

Mane/Tail/Markings Color & Style: dark brown with light brown highlights

Physique: above-average muscle-mass

Cutie Mark: 3 sand dunes arranged in a C-like pattern

Origin/Residence: Painted Pinto Desert

Occupation: Survivalist/tour guide/helps find new sources of food/water/etc, Archaeologist.

Motivation: Survival, helping those who don't have the skills at survival he does

Likes: cool breezes, vanilla ice-cream with chocolate sprinkles

Dislikes: the desert

Character Summary:

Dunes hails from the southern desert where he helps the locals with finding new sources of food and water, he also acts as a tour guide and rescue-pony for anyone lost in the desert. Thanks to his skills, he is able to survive for as long as he needs, supplies or no. Despite having so many responsibilities, Dunes finds that they are rarely called for, so he spends most of his time pursuing his other love - Archaeology. While some will argue his actual primary profession is more of a "grave robber" since he is known to bring back Relics from ancient equestrian settlements, tombs, and temples which he usually donates the local museum where his sister is curator (though he has his own private collection that is none too small) Few know the extent of Dune's adventures, as he prefers to work alone, his skills at detecting and avoiding traps (or quickly finding ways to survive one once it's sprung) have lead others to think it's too dangerous to accompany him, which he finds himself agreeing with them upon.

When dunes was a young colt, his family was traveling in a sandstorm, he and his little sister got separated from their parents. It was a traumatizing experience for the young filly, but Dunes found he had an uncanny knack for finding shelter, reasoning out which plants were edible, and even knowing when there was danger nearby (usually in the form of a scorpion). During this time he managed to provide them both with meager, but adequate food and water and even nurse his sister back from the brink of a heatstroke. After three days, the adults were sure their children had met an early demise, but were shocked to see the two, dirty but alive, trotting into town after spending so long in the desert along. After learning about his inane survival skills and helping to save his sister, Dunes learned his place in society and earned his cutie mark.

Dunes is usually seen wearing a white cape to keep the sun off his back, either with the hood pulled up or with a similar fedora. Dangling from his belt is a well-worn and well-kept brown bullwhip, that Dunes feels extremely close to, as if it were an extension of his own body. Some ponies have joked that one of the sand-dunes on his cutie mark is really a poorly visualized bullwhip. However, as good as he is with it, the talent has come from years of practice. To this day he is known to spend an hour every morning practicing with it atop his home, which many of the locals use as an alarm clock since the series of loud CRACKs can be heard echoing across the town every morning.

Image from Pony Creator:

Dunes_PC.jpg

(not thrilled with it since it leaves off his fedora and the cape seems a bit small, not to mention he turned out a bit more orange than I liked... but better than nothing...)

2X160U0000FE9959FEC59E03000FEFF00UO1837000001000A1441E00FEB08007107F3FCC004CB2

I'm placing this here in case I feel like trying to edit him later

Well, for starters, you can removed [Earth Pony] from the title, as the Earth Pony tag is already there. Also, maybe you could try using the Pony Creator to make a picture of your pony.

It also seems like your Application is a bit bare. Let's see what we can do about fleshing it out!

Dislikes: the dessert
I think you're a little confused with the desert.
After learning about his inane survival skills

More details on this event would be great! What survival skills were/are those? How did he discover them? What happened with/to him and his sister?

What did Dunes like to do when he was younger? Does/did he have any hobbies? Things he liked to do? What did his parents do for their careers? Are they happy with Dunes talent(s) and his choice of job? What kind of things has Dunes failed or succeeded at, and how did/do those affect his life?

Remember that all anypony knows about your character is what's in your Application. More details are always better.

Well, for starters, you can removed [Earth Pony] from the title, as the Earth Pony tag is already there. Also, maybe you could try using the Pony Creator to make a picture of your pony.

Oops, sorry, I missread the rules about titles...

I completely forgot about that, might try it since my last OC drawing had some issues...

It also seems like your Application is a bit bare. Let's see what we can do about fleshing it out!

I was trying to leave out a lot of details for a combination of character development and boring people. I'll see about adding more info.

I think you're a little confused with the desert.

*facehoof* D'oh! Fixed. Thanks, I always mix those two up.

More details on this event would be great! What survival skills were/are those? How did he discover them? What happened with/to him and his sister?

I could write a nice fanfic about that... but in truth I hadn't stopped to really consider it. I'll see about stretching the story out to a page or three, though I may have to make it a full week they're lost instead of just 3 days...

What did Dunes like to do when he was younger? Does/did he have any hobbies? Things he liked to do? What did his parents do for their careers? Are they happy with Dunes talent(s) and his choice of job? What kind of things has Dunes failed or succeeded at, and how did/do those affect his life?

I was trying to avoid much talk about his family since I was told that RP characters could have any form of relationships, though I can certainly add those.

His talent is very flexible so that I am happy with (though it will be... amusing... to put him in a place like Canterlot or even Ponyville (good settings for a "country mouse" RP story) where his skills are all-but useless (unless I expand the Indiana Jones reference and make him a full-blown Archaeologist as his main job when he's not helping other ponies out... hummmm I like that idea... I might just have to see if I can find a bull whip laying around ;) ).

I never really considered what his hobbies might be... living in the Desert there's not a lot of options, though I suppose I could be creative like training vultures to carry mail or something...or play up the 'old west' and have him do Lasso tricks (or whip tricks...)

Would it be a problem to extrapolate on the Indy gag? I mean it's not uncommon to see thinly-veiled expies in the actual series *coughDiscordIsQcough*

Remember that all anypony knows about your character is what's in your Application. More details are always better.

Meh, I may have to adjust my style, I'm quite fond of RP intros being along the lines of "a cloaked pony appears, who is this mysterious equine?" so I leave out a lot of information that others wouldn't have if they just saw him. As I said, I'll see about fleshing it out a bit.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for the feedback! :D

His talent is very flexible so that I am happy with (though it will be... amusing... to put him in a place like Canterlot or even Ponyville (good settings for a "country mouse" RP story) where his skills are all-but useless (unless I expand the Indiana Jones reference and make him a full-blown Archaeologist as his main job when he's not helping other ponies out... hummmm I like that idea... I might just have to see if I can find a bull whip laying around ;) ).

I never really considered what his hobbies might be... living in the Desert there's not a lot of options, though I suppose I could be creative like training vultures to carry mail or something...or play up the 'old west' and have him do Lasso tricks (or whip tricks...)

Would it be a problem to extrapolate on the Indy gag? I mean it's not uncommon to see thinly-veiled expies in the actual series *coughDiscordIsQcough*

I would say this is okay... after all, I have my Powerpuff ponies. Just be careful not to get Gary Stu on us.

Remember to mark you character as [WIP] if you need time to work on them. :)

I would say this is okay... after all, I have my Powerpuff ponies. Just be careful not to get Gary Stu on us.

I love the irony there that the PPG is another of Lauren Faust's works.

Dont worry, I *HATE* Mary Sues/Gary Stus! I try to make mine unique, one of the reasons I add little fact like Dusk Shine's favorite coffee, or Dune's favorite Ice Cream. I wont take the Indy references too far (though Dunes *will* be very talented with his whip), after all I know about Indy outside of pop culture comes from seeing Raiders back in the 90s and reading a couple of the Young Indiana Jones books when I was a teenager.

Remember to mark you character as [WIP] if you need time to work on them. :)

Changed, is this going to be a problem since I already have Hale as "WIP"?

If a comment is not made saying you would like to keep this character, it will be removed in 5 days.

Sorry, I'm still writing his back-story, it's taking a long longer than I thought, but I think in the end it will be a very satisfying read :)

I lol'd HARD at that image :D

Wasnt aware of the length issue, another RP mod told me it would be fine and more was better... (You know who you are! *frowns*) I'll... er... trim it down a bit... heh...

Well, I've just about got it (its now just a couple paragraphs *uneasy laugh*), but going to have to wait to "Finalize" it since my current final is for Spike. So I'm taking the extra time to edit it and try to improve it (if you want me to just go ahead, paste it in, and make this one final too since spike will be open for 2 weeks, I can, I just feel bad about asking to bend the rules twice with this one app (first having two WIP then having two FINAL)

What if you just like flip-flopped them for now since Spike HAS to be up for a minimum of two weeks?

If that's not going to reset the proverbial counter, sure, I can do that, I just was concerned that it was "two weeks from the FINAL of the first app" so if, for example, it took a full week for Dunes to get approved and nobody else applied for the little dragon during that time, I could have to wait 3 weeks to see who gets Spike.

We generally do it 2 weeks from the first Application, regardless of [WIP] or [FINAL]. We're not going to take the time to figure out how long the app was sitting as either status or when. We do this staff thing on a volunteer basis, so we try to make things as easy as we can for users, and ourselves.