A new day, a new arrival. [Mojo, Dessa]

Dessa

Some ponies wouldn't consider it a long trip, but Rue had never been so far from home. As the sun breached the horizon over Hoofington, the landscape, shrouded in mystery moments before, illuminated. The pony, worn, but alert, continued her march along the road. In the city, sunrise way the day's quietest moment. Day ponies hadn't yet hit the streets that night ponies had made sure to abandon before light. Out here, however, nature celebrated. Long before Rue's eyes could detect any light, the sparrows and squirrels stirred. With no street lights beyond the city's boundary, there was little see or do out here in the dark.

A night pony herself, Rue frowned. She was going to hate Hoofington. A seaside view offered little to somepony accustomed to Canterlot's heights. She had seen the sea before, just not from this close. And she'd heard about the close-mindedness of small-town ponies (whether Hoofington could be called small is, of course, a matter of debate, but it FELT small). Rue sighed dramatically and stopped at the first crossroad in the city. Who planned these streets, she thought, the layout seemed to have no rhyme or reason, like it just grew wherever ponies whims decided. She trotted over to a bench and set down her saddlebags. It was nice to have the weight off of her shoulders, even if it was for just a moment. After a moment of searching, she pulled out a wet, torn map and carefully laid it it down on the bench. That rainstorm last night had done its damage. The map was illegible. Getting here was easy enough -- all roads lead to Canterlot, so it was a straight shot. But from within the city, navigation wasn't so simple.

Tired, Rue rested her head on the bench and sighed again.

Trotting along the road towards town was a Paint stallion harnessed to a large wooden wagon. The large sign on the side of the wagon read "Mojo's Art and Fine Goods." As Mojo pulled his wagon along, fluttering in the air near him was a white furred, petite blonde Pegasus mare. Her stage name was Julibee Flyer but most ponies called her Jubilee (except for Mojo, who just referred to her as 'Wings'). The two had been fast friends for a long time and were on their way to visit another of their friends, a nurse unicorn named Starflower at her hometown of Hoofington.

"Well Wings, we're almost there," Mojo said. "Can't wait to see good ol' Starflower again."

"Tell me the truth, Modge. If she were twenty years younger, would you try to date her?"

"Probably not. A lady like that is way too smart to want a hippie pony like me. Besides, I like the single life way too much."

"Me too! I have my career to think of! Glad I was able to get this singing gig in Hoofington. Gives us a chance to see Starflower again!"

"Right-O! Half a mo' Wings, who's that?" Mojo asked, briefly pointing a hoof in the direction of a filly sitting on a bench.

"She looks sad. Let's see if we can't cheer her up!"

"Brilliant idea!" Mojo neighed as he pulled his wagon over, quickly unhitched himself and then joined Jubilee as she landed. The two walked up to the pony together.

"Hello there!" the blonde Pegasus nieghed with a big smile.

"Hi there miss! I'm Mojo and this is me friend Jubilee. Couldn't help notice ya here on the bench. Anything we can do to help you?"

Without motion, Rue quietly studied the newcomers as they set down their wagon. Brother and sister, perhaps? But where was the resemblance? Perhaps not. Still, they were very comfortable around each other. 'Friends or coworkers, probably,' she thought 'and quite familiar with each other.'

As the others approached, Rue lifted her head, eyebrows raised in curiosity.

"Hello there!", said the filly, and the stallion, "Hi there miss! I'm Mojo and this is me friend Jubilee. Couldn't help notice ya here on the bench. Anything we can do to help you?"

Perky ones, aren't they? What sort of nut has energy at this ungodly hour? Slowly, Rue turned her body to face the others. She wore the evidence of a tough night's travel. Her grape mane was matted and windblown, her cloudy hide scuffed. Despite her obvious efforts to adopt a tough appearance, her demeanor suggested submission.

She lazily returned the filly's greeting, "Hey." And responded to the hippy "Uh, maybe. You guys know this place pretty well? I was looking for a unicorn 'Hemlock,' with a cutie mark to match the name."

"Hemlock? Fraid I never heard of him, have you Wings?"

"Nope, can't say that we have."

"We're heading for Hoofington, if you'd like, you could ride with us."

"You could ride in the wagon with me, if you're heading that way."

"There's a special friend we're meeting there. Come with us, if you like."

((Oh, I was RPing from already IN Hoofington -- Just not at her final destination: "Rue sighed dramatically and stopped at the first crossroad in the city. ... from within the city, navigation wasn't so simple"))

It was such a friendly offer. Maybe TOO friendly, thought Rue. But then again, thieves are rarely so genial. Mojo's peace symbol was hardly suggestive of any sinister motive, either. "Ah thanks, that'd be great actually."

She tossed the saddlebags back over her shoulders and asked "Is your friend local? Maybe they can point me to auntie Hemlock. Not that I'm particularly eager to go, but I gotta stay somewhere, I guess."

This was more information than Rue was used to giving, but she found herself glib when she was tired. Rue climbed about the carriage and had a seat.

"So, Wings, and Mojo, is it? What sort of 'fine goods' do you guys peddle?"

"Actually, my name's Jubilee. Old Mojo calls me Wings ever since we met many years ago. I'm Mojo's friend and I don't sell things, I'm an entertainer. In fact, I'll be performing in this city tomorrow night."

"I sell a lot of groovy things," Mojo said as he rehitched himself to the wagon. "I sell hoofmade arts and crafts, fresh produce grown on me family's farm and fun stuff like mood bracelets, lava lamps, hammacks, tools, general merchandise."

Mojo began to pull his wagon towards a small cottage on the end of a residential neighborhood. The door of the dwelling swang open as a light blue taller unicorn mare wearing a stethoscope galloped out to greet the group.

"MOJO! JUBILEE!" she neighed as they shared a group hug.

"Golly good to see ya again, Starflower," the Paint pony said with a grin.

"Starflower, meet our new friend!" Jubilee neighed, pointing to Rue.

"She needs some directions, love. Since you live here, maybe you can help her out."

"I'll certainly try," Starflower said as she approached her. "My name's Starflower, I own the clinic just down the street from here. How may I help you?"

"Actually, my name's Jubilee..." ... "I sell a lot of groovy things,"

Rue listened sleepily, and couldn't help but feel a bit lighter. A hippie and a showpony. An interesting couple, to say the least, and down to earth. There would certainly be no want for a good conversation during this ride, and for the first time this journey Rue felt safe. Pity it had to come so late. Rue drew a breath to speak; what sort of performer was Jubilee; where did these two come from; what's a lava lamp? Her thoughts were cut short as the party arrived at their destination.

"MOJO! JUBILEE!," exclaimed a periwinkle pony. She bore a curious resemblance to Rue herself, both in coloration and Cutie Mark alike.

As the others greeted each other, Rue stepped out of the cart and gathered what was left of her energy to greet the doctor.

"Uh, hi. I'm Rue. I came to meet my aunt here in Hoofington, but my map got ruined in the rain," said Rue, frowning. She hesitated to continue. She'd just as soon not go as she would, but Auntie Hemlock was at least a place to stay, "Her name is Hemlock. She's an apothecary. I don't suppose you know where she lives?"

As Starflower began to listen to Rue, she couldn't help but notice she bore a striking resemblance to herself. But this remarkable coinicidence did not go unnoticed by the others present.

"Blimey Star! You and Rue here look like twins!"

"WOW! Are you two sure you're not related somehow?"

The casual observation of her friends confirmed what the taller unicorn had been thinking. The match in pelt and cutie mark was either a bizzare bit of random luck, or was it an omen. Either way, it was now getting dark and the nurse unicorn could tell that Rue looked very fagitued.

"Well Rue, I believe she lives all the way on the other side of town. All of you look like you could use some refreshments. I have some fresh oatloaf I just baked along with plenty of apple turnovers. It's not much, but it's all I could manage to do after the long day I had at the clinic."

"Long day?"

"Did you have a lot of emergency cases?"

"No, nothing like that. Enough about me, please come in and make yourself at home!"

Mojo, Jubilee and Rue entered the cottage to see it was very neat and so clean, the living room floor shined. This had been the first time they had visited their old friend at home, so everything was new and wonderful to them. Elegant paintings hung on the walls and various types of nicknacks rested on the shelves above the fireplace.

"Lovely home ya have here, Star! Simply smashing!"

"Very couzy! Now you did mention food? I'm as hungry as a horse!"

"Rue, would you like some mint tea? I know that Mojo and Jubilee want some! Mojo's the one who introduced it to me."

The hippie brony and his Pegasus friend sat down on the big sofa in the living room.

"Come Rue, join us. You're gonna love Star's home cookin'."

"She cooks better than YOU, Modge!"

"Hay Wings! Ya better watch it! I'm your ride home, remember?"

"Just pullin' your leg, pal!" Jubilee laughed as Mojo joined in the laughter.

Rue knew that it was polite to refuse an offer once, but the her belly vetoed the notion. She followed the others into the house. It was well furnished, with a fastidious attention to detail. Elegance was nothing new to Rue, but she was surprised to find it here in the home of a working pony. The offer of mint tea sealed the deal. She knew relaxing too much was a bad idea when she had at least another hour of walking ahead of her, but the pleasures here were too many. Rue took a spot on a chair across from the travelers.

Raising an eyebrow, Rue said to Starflower "So let me get this straight: You had a hard day at work. You came back and made fresh oatloaf and[/] apple turnovers, cleaned this place within an inch of its life, and you still have the energy to host? Give yourself some credit, lady, that's nothing to scoff at."

Rue's voice was calm, and it carried a perpetual note of disinterest, even when strong feelings were clearly evident. "And yes to everything, PLEASE," she added, "I'm starving!"

"Well thank you, Rue," Starflower said, "and I'm glad you want to dine with me. I'll bring everything in for you!"

Using her unicorn levitation magic, the taller light blue mare floated several covered tureens into the living room and gently sat them on the large coffee table. One more bit of magic lifted up the lids to reveal the oatloaf, pre-sliced, along with a large bowl filled with salad. There were plates and bowls there too. Mojo and Jubilee began to help themselves as Starflower rolled in a serving cart that had a tea set on it.

"So Star, you mentioned earlier that you were tired, why is that?" Jubilee asked as a cup of mint tea floated up to her.

"It's nothing, Jubilee, really. Here's your tea, Rue!" the unicorn mare said as she floated a cup of mint tea to her.

"Can't fool me, Star," Mojo said as he received his tea. "We've been friends for a long time, I can tell there's something more you're not telling us."

"Well, alright," Starflower sighed as she sat down. "I'm a bit short hoofed at the clinic the past few days. Two of my volunteers quit on me and today, I had to tend to all my patients without any help."

"Quit on you? That's horrible! Want me and Modge to find'm and kick their flanks for ya?"

"Half a mo', Wings! Y'know violence solves nothing."

"It'd make me feel good!"

"Oh no, it''s nothing like that. Maize Yellow is getting married tomorrow and flying off with her new husband to live with him in Canterlot. And Dinsdale left to help his parents back on their farm outside of town. I can understand why they both chose to leave."

"Say Star! I've good a marvy idea! Me and Wings could go with ya tomorrow and help at the clinic!"

"Yeah! I don't start my singing gig till tomorrow night anyway."

"Thanks guys," Starflower said as a sudden clap of thunder shook the ground. Instantly, rain began to pour down. "Oh my. I wouldn't feel right sending you out in this storm, Rue. If you'd like, you are free to spend the night here at my cottage."

"HAY! It'd be like a slumber party! We could give each other makeovers, even Modge here!"

"Oh no ya don't!" Mojo neighed defensively. "You gals can have the slumber party. I'll sleep out in me peddler's wagon."

"Oh come now, Mojo. I'd LOVE to braid your tail and put curlers in your lovely mane!"

"I don't think so, love. I'm your friend, but stallions don't do sleepovers."

Starflower and Jubilee giggled at the blushing Paint stallion.

<<Sorry about the delayed response. Weekends are always busy for me, and I tend to need time to process a post before I get a sense of how to respond. I'm hoping to get faster as I get more experience with forum RP >>

The aroma of fresh baked goods was entrancing. Rue didn't hesitate to partake. It was good, simple food, and a nice change of pace from the fancier goods to which she was accustomed. As the others continued their conversation, she ate quietly and continued to size up the others.

Starflower seemed incredibly friendly, but Rue wondered if she was giving too much. Hosting is a pleasure in and of itself, but it was a lot of work. Did she know when to be selfish? Nonetheless, her warmth seemed genuine, and Rue welcomed it readily.

"Rue. If you'd like, you are free to spend the night here at my cottage."

"Actually, that sounds good. Thanks," Rue replied, relieved. She could kick it and relax now.

Likewise, Mojo was down to earth. While a sleepover with the girls offered a certain temptation, Rue had never really experienced anything like that before, and, related to Mojo's awkwardness about it. Meanwhile, the peddler's wagon offered a sense of mystery and newness, and a part of her was more curious about that.

Jubilee had some fire in her belly, and Rue took an immediate liking to her.

"Quit on you? That's horrible! Want me and Modge to find'm and kick their flanks for ya?"

Rue couldn't help but smile a bit at this. She didn't favor violence either, but she admired the loyalty and fearlessness showed by the gesture. Her edge was welcome in the face of the overwhelming "safety" of the other two.

Both options tempted Rue: sleepover inside, or camp out outside? Ultimately, Rue felt she had spent enough time outdoors, and the thought of something soft upon which to lie sounded heavenly.

"A sleepover, huh? My aunt can wait another day. That sounds like it could be fun, I guess. Are you sure you're not too tired, doc?" asked Rue. "I'm pretty worn out here too. Maybe we could just skip the Girly stuff here for Mojo's sake and keep it chill tonight?"

It felt a bit assertive to Rue, being the odd one out among three, but Rue hoped the soft language would keep her from seeming too forward. Still, she was nothing if not assertive, and hoped that Mojo would provide a masculine counterbalance to cut the awkwardness she anticipated from a traditional sleepover.

"Excellent Rue! I have a guest bedroom that you and Julibee could share. If I know you, Mojo, you'll want to set up a hammack here in the living room when it comes time for bed." Starflower said.

"Hay! That's great! You don't mind sharing a room with me, do ya Rue?" Jubilee asked.

"Ya know me too well, love," Mojo said with a laugh. "I'll stay, but if you gals try to give me a makeover, I'm splittin' the scene, you dig?"

"Very well, we're all in agreement," Starflower said with a nod. "What would you all like to do first?"

"Rue? What would YOU like to do?" the happy Pegasus asked.

• 1 month later...

<<NECRO'D (If you're still down?)>>

"I've never really done the 'sleepover' thing before, actually. I'm usually out and about at this hour, but out here, eh, I'm not so sure there'd be much point to that. And besides, yeah, tired. All I did last night was march straight here from Canterlot." said Rue.

She glanced out the window into the storm "I probably should have looked up the weather before I left, too. I didn't realize night storms were on the schedule. So, if I'm not being too much of a joykill here, I'd rather just chill."

"That's fine with us," Jubilee said with a smile. "We can go ahead and relax here till you want to go to bed."

"Groovy," Mojo said as he sat on the sofa. "I could play me bongos for ya, recite some poetry, whatever helps ya unwind, Rue."

"I don't think I've ever heard you play your bongos before, Mojo," Starflower said as she took a seat. "After the long day I had, I could use something soothing to listen to."

"What's the scene, love? We're your friends, you can tell us."

"Well, alright. I'm worried about the clinic. Mojo, Jubilee, I do appreciate your offer to help out while we're shorthoofed, but I really could use a new permanent assistant to work with me. I don't want the level of care at the clinic to suffer while I'm looking for more applicants. And with this sudden rainstorm, betch they'll be more patients tomorrow with colds, flu and other sicknesses caused by the storm. I'm sorry, didn't mean to kill the mood."

"Buck up, Star! Things will look better in the mornin', you'll see!'

"Yeah! it's like Modge said, it'll be alright!"

"Thanks guys, you're the best," Starflower said as she turned to Rue. "So, Rue. What do you normally do to relax?"

Rue waited until the others were all seated before choosing an isolated perch -- a big, soft loveseat. She laid down, rested her head on the armrest, and listened to the others talk. It felt good to finally have a place to lie down, and the company wasn't unpleasant. When Starflower spoke of her distress, one of Rue's ears perked up, but she let the rest continue their chatter until speaking.

"So, Rue. What do you normally do to relax?"

Rue lifted her head to speak "Me? Well, when the weather's good, I stargaze. I like the quiet, I guess. And if you sit still, it's like you're not there, and things can just happen around you. But it's just as often too cold in Canterlot, so I read. Adventure stories 'n' stuff."

She turned to Starflower, "So you're lookin' for some help? Well, I'm not in school anymore, and my aunt probably ain't gonna give me much to spend, so I guess I should like, get a job. I don't know if I'll be of any use; I've never done any doctor assisting before. But you're desperate, and I'm here, so we might as well, huh?"

Looking back to Mojo, she continued, "Poetry, huh? And bongos? 'Groovy, man. I can dig it." Rue half-smiles to herself, "I mean, yeah, Poetry is good."

"Marvy ladies, be right back!" Mojo neighed as he rushed outside to his wagon.

"So Rue, you'd like to join my staff?" Starflower asked with a wide grin, "Do you have any experience as a care giver?"

"That's great!" Jubilee neighed. "Bet you'd do a wonderful job, Rue!"

"Back!" Mojo shouted as he rushed back inside. The rain had dretched the Paint stallion's umbrella hat, but he had kept his bongos and books dry under a small tarp. "Just gimme half a mo' to get ready."

"Mojo writes some awesome poetry! I have all of his books!"

"Marvy ladies, be right back!" Mojo neighed as he rushed outside to his wagon.

"So Rue, you'd like to join my staff?" Starflower asked with a wide grin, "Do you have any experience as a care giver?"

"That's great!" Jubilee neighed. "Bet you'd do a wonderful job, Rue!"

"Back!" Mojo shouted as he rushed back inside. The rain had dretched the Paint stallion's umbrella hat, but he had kept his bongos and books dry under a small tarp. "Just gimme half a mo' to get ready."

"Mojo writes some awesome poetry! I have all of his books!"

"Nope," said Rue, matter-of-factly. "'No doctor assisting, no day care, no social work. Heck, I imagine if there were experienced ponies out there to work for you, you'd have hired them. I've got time, and nothing to do with it, and I learn quickly. Maybe, you could just, like, give me the grunt work at first and I could take on more as I figure it out. You need somepony by tomorrow? Yeah. I'm adequate enough. I won't kill anypony, anyway."

Although it wasn't terribly obvious from her demeanor, Rue was secretly eager to start work. She wasn't accustomed to feeling useful or needed. Here, however, was an opportunity for her to redefine herself. The immediate practicality of doing work appealed to her much more so than all of the theory and background she'd have been studying in school. Nonetheless, Rue was rarely quick to show enthusiasm for anything until she was certain she would be accepted.

As pensive as Rue was, the mental toll of this trip and this relocation left her with little patience for her own thoughts. She was tired of ruminating. Mojo looked ready to start, and Rue welcomed the distraction. She again rested her head on the armrest and faced him, ears forward.

"Thank you, Rue," Starflower said with a warm smile. "The key to helping other ponies is using her heart as well as your head. I have rarely ever used medicines when treating sick or injured ponies. Sometimes the best medicine there is, is caring."

"Alright ladies, time for my first poem!" Mojo spoke as he began to bang his bongos with his hooves. "This one's called, 'Life is a Gift Box!"

"Life is like a gift box, With pretty ribbon and bow, What can be inside it? Who can really know? But then you open up the box, to peek at what's inside. Nervously the top comes off, and then you smile wide. You never know what's in the box, each day's a new surprise! The secret is to welcome it, with each day's new sunrise!"

Then the hippie brony banged on his bongos again as Jubilee clapped her hooves on the floor.

"Oh I LOVE that one!" the blonde Pegasus neighed. "I've heard it before, but I really like it!"

"...Sometimes the best medicine there is, is caring."

A lovely sentiment, thought Rue, but positively spoony. Happy thoughts were fine and dandy, but they never set a broken leg. If "caring" was so important, then why did the mean ones prosper while the good suffered? If "love" was all you needed, then how to explain Rue's health? She had wanted for love her entrie life, yet she was fit as a fiddle.

Still, batty or not, it was a generous offer, and Rue wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Thanks, I'll try," Rue conceded.

"Alright ladies, time for my first poem!"

And not a moment too soon. Rue had accepted sadness as a part of life, but that didn't make it any easier to dwel on.

"Life is like a gift box, With pretty ribbon and bow, What can be inside it? Who can really know? But then you open up the box, to peek at what's inside. Nervously the top comes off, and then you smile wide. You never know what's in the box, each day's a new surprise! The secret is to welcome it, with each day's new sunrise!"

It was horribly cheesy, and Rue loathed the sun, but she needed to hear it. Rue had never lived outside of Canterlot, or away from her parents; she was lonely and scared. But that night, her first night in Hoofington, she was surrounded by perfect strangers who cared about her. Tomorrow, she'd start a new day, a new life, in which she'd spend her days with gentle Starflower, and all her quackery of hope. A few minutes later, Rue fell to sleep, with thoughts of the sunrise she secretly loved.

(ooc): I'm moving the timeline ahead to the next morning.

Before Mojo, Starflower and Jubilee went to bed for the night, they had noticed their new friend had fallen asleep. Using her levitation magic, the light blue unicorn gently moved the sleeping Rue to the guest bedroom and tucked her safely into bed.

The next morning, the aroma of fresh fried eggs filled the entire house. The first to wake up was Jubilee, who slept in a hammock in the guest room near the bed Rue was sleeping in.

"It's MORNING! RISE AND SHINE!" the petite blonde Pegasus shouted as she flew up out of her hammock to find Mojo in the living room, still asleep in his hammock. With an evil grin on her face, Jubilee tipped the hammock over, spilling the Paint stallion out onto the floor. "TIME TO WAKE UP, MODGE!"

"What the bloody heck..." the confused Mojo said until he looked up and saw his Pegasus friend hovering above him. "AH! Ya got me again, Wings!"

"Come into the kitchen everyone! Breakfast is served!" Starflower neighed.

"C'mon Rue! BREAKFAST TIME!" Julibee shouted as she and Mojo followed Starflower. They took their seats at the table, waiting for Rue to come in before getting started with the meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be outdone by the previous morning and its depressing quiet, this morning, felt Rue, was surely much worse. Already unaccustomed to waking with the sun, to do so after days of travel and 20 hours awake strained the limits of Rue's patience. How callous Wings and Mojo must be to cause such a racket at this hour! And whatever sort of breakfast necessitated the clanging and sizzling in the kitchen couldn't possibly be worth the annoyance. Rue pulled a pillow over her head and made her best effort to drown it all out. Nothing but grey nose peekd from beneath the blankets. She still had to breathe, after all.

"Come into the kitchen everyone! Breakfast is served!"

It was hopeless. Rue foresaw a day of weary agitation. Determined to not let this morning win, she pressed her hooves against the pillow covering her head, and finally achieved the peace she so sought. Blind and deaf to all outside happenings, Rue felt secure in her fortifications. But she had overlooked a critical breach. Her nose, exposed, detected an aroma most appetizing. For all of the effort Rue spent in expelling unwanted intrusions, she had reserved no defense for wanted ones. Again, her belly overruled her.

Rue floated out to the kitchen, happily groggy "Mmmm, what is that AMAZING smell?"

In the dining room area, Rue would be able to see and smell the wonderful fresh breakfast Starflower had spent hours preparing. Fresh fried eggs, oatmeal, orange juice and milk, In the center of the table, a large plate loaded with freshly baked donuts! As Jubilee and Mojo sat and were eating, a plate with two fried eggs floated over to an empty place at the table.

"Rue! You're just in time!" a cheerful Starflower neighed as she floated a glass of orange juice and a bowl of oatmeal over to the plate. "Please have a seat and help yourself! I always say the key to a great morning starts with a good, hearty breakfast!"

"This meal is a real treat, Miss Starflower!" Mojo neighed in approval. "Right Wings?"

"OH YEAH!" the blonde Pegasus neighed, reaching for another donut. "Love all the food, but Star, this must've taken you a long time to fix."

"It's my pleasure!" the light blue unicorn said as she brought her own plate of food over and sat at the table. "It's not often I get to cook for guests here at home. We do cook meals for our bedridden patients at the clinic, but it's not the same thing."

"That's for true," the Paint stallion said as he grabbed another donut. "When are we goin' to the clinic with ya?"

"After we eat, of course, but don't rush. The night nurse will stay on duty till I arrive."

"Say Rue, did ya sleep well? Hope ya didn't mind that Star moved you into the guest bed. You were pretty much zonked out and we didn't want to wake ya up only to have ya go back to sleep again."

• 2 months later...

Rue rubbed her eyes and took a second look. "Okay so wait," mumbled Rue, "You woke up, fetched the milk grabbed three pans, cracked eggs and fried them, boiled oatmeal, or however it is you make oatmeal, then mixed up donut batter, heated oil, and fried donuts, squeezed enough OJ for four ponies, and you're perky?No offense lady, but something is wrong with you."

Nonetheless, Rue approached the table and took a seat, clearly relishing the aroma "I mean, okay, there's being hospitable," she said before starting in on an egg, "And there's showing off at the cost of your own health and sanity -- Oh gosh, this is delicious!"

Rue fell silent to spend some quality time with her breakfast, then resumed speaking after a few minutes Don't get me wrong, Starflower. I mean, this is awesome. It's just like, I didn't really do anything to deserve it. I might suck at this whole 'helping you' thing. And there you'd be, worn out for no good reason. Luna's Cosmos, whatever you did to these donuts to make them this good can't be legal. Do I need to report you to the authorities?

Starflower giggled when Rue questioned the legality of her donuts.

"Thank you Rue," the taller unicorn mare said with a smile, "It's really no trouble, I do love to cook and it's not often I have so many to cook for at home."

"Positively smashing!" Mojo shouted as he cleaned his plate. "Forget the blinkin' hospital business, you should open up a restaurant!"

"LOVED IT!" added Jubilee as she began to clear the table of dishes. "When do we have to leave?"

"Perhaps we should be going now, I'll clean the dishes later," Starflower said as she used her unicorn magic to put the rest of the dishes and other utensils into the sink. "I thank you all again for being so willing to help on such short notice."

"That's what friends are for, Star."

"Yeah! It'll be a lot of fun!"

The three began to walk towards the door.

"Comin', Rue?"