[Ponyville] Meeting the new Spook

Skye

Continued from [Whitetail Woods] A Walk in the Woods

Skye paused as they neared the house of the unusual pony. He regarded it from the distance, stepping lightly from hoof to hoof nervously. Though he cast a sidelong glance to Fluttershy. Not used to being away from the Wood this far, especially going to a new place such as this new pony's house. Boy, did it look strange. How could anyone live there? It looked like it hadn't been lived in years. The roof appeared to be falling in and yet...still in repair. The windows, somehow still intact, still appeared decrepit. The grass was scraggly and any other plant life looked like they'd seen better days. Yet..it somehow still appeared to be the home of someone. The grass was tended, the plants were trimmed and groomed, and even though everything had a spooky air about it, the house still seemed like a home. In a somewhat unusual and spooky sense, that is.

"This definitely seems like the place. I wonder what she's like to live in a place like this, with everything looking the way it does. But we mustn't judge a book by its cover, I've heard someone say once. I wonder if she's home?" he paused and looked up the walkway to the old house. It seemed very very far. The distance they'd covered together seemed to pale in comparison to this macabre dwelling. Once upon a time, it must have been magnificent; the home of a noblepony or somesuch. Even the turreted rooms and the spiked gables seemed to speak of once-rich inhabitants who had long-since departed. Whether Equestria, or simply the residence, he couldn't say, but the place gave him the shivers. His hackles raised as a cold, seeming out of place wind ruffled the feathers of his wings, and for a moment he fought back the urge to run. This was unusual, considering all he'd seen these years, he'd never had this feeling before.

"Are you sure you want to go on, Fluttershy? This place gives me the willies."

As they drew closer to the so called 'haunted house' of Ponyville, it was clear Fluttershy was getting a little nervous. It seemed to loom over them, casting an eerie feel over the whole area around it. Did somepony really live there? Sure she had seen the Unicorn leave from it at night, but what if the stories were true and it was actually a ghost? However Twilight said there was no such things as ghosts, curses and other hocus pocus as that.

She paused as they moved through the front yard and up to the door. She glanced around, the plant life was all creepy looking. Thorns, flowers that were black, and gnarled trees. She wondered if any animals were around and if they were just as spooky.

'Well...we are here... we might as well see if she is home,' she glanced to Skye and then back to the door. After a hesitated moment, she reached up with her front right hoof and knocked.

For a moment there was no sound as if nopony was going to answer. Just as Fluttershy was about to suggest they try another time the door creaked open and she give a surprised squeal. It seemed the door had opened on its own though, nopony was standing there.

'Oh...do we go inside?' she peeked into the darkness. She could see some furniture and things seemed clean, not dusty. If it was abandon surely there would be dust.

'I wonder who opened the door...'

• 2 weeks later...

The peryton looked warily up at the large house, and its imposing structure. As Fluttershy seemed nervous, so did he, though he remained close enough to the yellow pegasus to help reassure the both of them. "This place really does give me the creeps, I can't imagine anyone wanting to live here willingly..." he murmured, then nearly gasped as she displayed an unusual amount of courage and stepped forward and up the porch. He followed along behind her, his light hooves leaving little tak-tak sounds on the ancient wood.

"I don't know if..." then when Fluttershy reached out and knocked on the door, he jumped at the sudden sound. When nothing happened at first, he began to relax, until the door began to creak open. The hairs along the back of his neck stood up on end, as did his wings of their own volition. He strongly resisted the urge to run, it wasn't in his nature to leave a lady behind, regardless of how felt, but this place was really trying even that! Then as she began to peek in, he poked his head around the threshold and looked into the gloom. "It sure is dark in here. I don't know if...wait, I have an idea. I've never done this before for anyone else, but it might work..." he concentrated for a moment, his antlers sparkling before a small bubble of a dreamlet popped into existence above his head, glowing like a lightbulb to illuminate the immediate area. It wasn't much, but it was better than nothing at all. "There...can you see that?" the little glow wavered a bit above him, almost as if alive and perched between his antlers, and he peered into the slightly better illuminated entryway.

Even with the small light that Skye was able to produce for them, the entry to the old building seemed dark. Fluttershy just glanced around from the open door, looking for a sign that anypony was there. It was so strange that the door had seemingly opened on it's own. But ghosts weren't really. Twilight said so, and her friend seemed to know these things.

"I don't see anyp..." she cut herself off as something caught her eye. Slowly coming toward them from the darkness behind the stairway was a weird blue glow. "Eep!" and as soon as she saw it, she was hiding behind Skye.

Something was heading right for the two, and the closer it got the brighter the blue glow was. Eventually a pair of glowing red eyes were in view as well. However it wasn't a monster or some sort of spook, they belonged to a Unicorn with a black pelt, she was just well camouflaged in the darkness.

"Oh, I thought I heard somepony... looks like that hinge on the door is still loose." she yawned as she came into view of her two visitors. "I'm not use to anypony coming by..." she blinked slowly and looked up to the old chandelier in the entry way. With the help of her magic it flickered to life lighting the area much better.

"Oh," Wisp blinked as finally took note of who was at her door. "Aren't you that Peryton I met at the farm? Who's your friend there?"

Fluttershy finally uncovered her eyes and peered around Skye to get a look at the pony speaking to them. She didn't look all that scary now that there was light. It made the glow go away. "Um... I'm... Fluttershy. I live in the cottage outside of town a little bit... I... I've seen you go into the Everfree at night." She glanced to Skye. "So you know Skye?"

Willow Wisp nodded lightly. "Well kind of, more like just met him. It's nice to have visitors though. Nopony has come by since I moved in. Well... other than the mail pony but they run by so fast I don't really count it. I'm Willow Wisp, please, come inside."

The deer peered into the darkness, glancing about, and even stepping foot for a moment over the threshold in his efforts to look about. From what he could see, the place seemed old but even at this point, well-kept. It certainly didn't look as bad on the inside as it did on the outside. Though It did still seem spooky. As Fluttershy spoke, he nodded in agreement, his ears swivelling this way and that before suddenly he jerked his head up when Fluttershy squealed, finding himself the trembling shield of a frightened yellow pegasus. Not that he was particuliarly a good shield, quaking in his hooves as it was. He did not like this! And what was that! Glowing, glowing, spooky red eyes, growing closer and closer...

And suddenly, it was Wisp, glowing softly in the darkness, her eyes glowing red alongside, the ebony of her pelt making her a perfect match for the darkness. "Willow Wisp? Is that you?" he shook, a moment as the adrenaline rushed through his body, and then a flush came to his cheeks. "You live -here-? I had no idea, after meeting at the farm, that you lived here! I thought you were in Ponyville somewhere. It's such a small world." as she lit the chandelier, the dreamlet above his antlers fizzled out with a faint pop.

He nodded as Willow introduced herself to Fluttershy, and a heat rose to his cheeks. How could he have known that she lived here? "Skye, you're such a dolt sometimes." he murmured to himself. Now that it was light, it didn't seem all that bad at all. He made his way for Fluttershy to enter, and closed the door behind him. "With the way Fluttershy was telling the story and the bits and pieces I'd heard from the other ponies who'd been by here, I was afraid some terrible monster was living here, but you're definitely no monster. Oh, and we'd come by to see if maybe you'd be interested in some tea. I thought you were some scary new pony nobody had met yet, and here you were, the whole time. I'm so embarassed."