[Woodlands] A Walk in the Woods (ended)

WillowWisp

'I suppose if I had some company I would be less scared. It's just the stories are so...creepy. Like of ponies going in and never coming back out. I don't know if they're true or not, but they're still scary.' Fluttershy bent down to take a sip of the water as well. It was good; so clean and pure. 'But you're right, she may not be scary at all. It might be lonely if nopony visits her.'

She took a seat on one of the sun warmed rocks and looked around again. Closing her eyes she could hear the songs of birds, the wind rustling the trees and the sound of the water. It was so peaceful, she would have to bring her friends. Surely they would find it just as wonderful as she did.

'I don't know,' she opened her eyes to look at Skye. 'It's just suppose to be haunted. Weird things happen in there. Like, music will start playing... it's out of tune but on a piano. Or so I've heard... like I said I've never been too close to it. But that house has been there for a very long, long time. And as for the glowing, I'm not sure myself. Maybe it's part of her magic, being a Unicorn and all.'

She smiled at the mention of the race though, that was a good memory. 'Oh you saw Applejack and Rainbow Dash racing then? Yes, they were very competitive then. They get into little competitions a lot. You should have seen all the things they were doing on the farm.' A small laugh escaped her on the next comment though. 'Princess Celestia running? Oh might that would be interesting. I wonder if she's fast... I bet she's graceful though.'

The deer bent down to sip at the water again, nearby, his small lips pursing as it touched the surface of the water and drew up the cool liquid. His eyes closed as he savored its purity, then lifted his head to lick his lips of it. "It sounds like it could be, but I'm sure if she goes in and comes back out, it can't be all bad. I wonder what her name is. Has she been seen in town? Zecora turned out to be okay, maybe this one will as well if ponies give her a chance. Though I have to go to the Everfree Forest to check on little Aven at some point, too, she's such a bright little star. But she's still got things to learn still. If I can catch her, that is, she's even faster than I." Moments later he lay on the lawn, tucking his legs beneath him and spreading his wings to take in the sunlight. He closed his eyes again as silence fell, sharing in the sound of the birds singing to each other, and the breeze ruffling through his feathers.

As she spoke again, he opened them almost nearly at the same time she did, and tilted his head. "I haven't heard a piano in a very long time. And you would think I might have caught that. The Everfree Forest is no place to take casually, so she must have moved recently indeed. I think we should have to ask her about her magic sometime. Maybe she'd like it here, too, if she turns out to be friendly. If not, I'm sure there would be a way to encourage her to move on. But I'm sure she's friendly, or have ponies begun to disappear? Your story makes me curious now, and if it's one thing I can't take lightly, it's curiosity. There's plenty in the world going on that I don't know, when something like this comes up I just -have- to see."

He grinned widely. "I think I did! They were showing each other up, tripping over debris in the road, playing tricks on each other! Nearly discovered my little cave when she tore up the mountain. I wanted to tell her she was going the wrong way, but she didn't stay long with that balloon coming along to take her up. I would have loved to see that! Are there competitions like that going on all the time? Or just now and again?" he looked away wistfully. "Sometimes I'd enjoy playing games with ponies, but I'm afraid of so many. It gets chaotic. If they were all like you, I'm sure I would, but not all ponies are as nice..." he looked up again, then higher still to the sun. "Oh, she is, even as she walks, grace is part of everything she does. I remember this dance...long long ago, before Ponyville was as large as it is now..." he trailed away, reminiscing for several moments. "Of course, she was younger then, and I was just a little fawn, peeking in the window. Do you dance, Fluttershy?"

'I suppose you're right, the forest can't be all bad if somepony can come and go like that. But maybe she just knows what she's doing. I wouldn't go running in there without a reason. There are just too many strange things out there I don't know about.' Fluttershy nodded matter of factly at that. 'I don't know what her name is though. But I have seen her head into town now and then. Usually later in the afternoon... I think she probably sleeps when it's day time if she's going out to the forest at night.'

She had to think about the Unicorn for a moment. What kind of magic could a spooky pony have? Well she just guessed she was spooky because of the house she lived in and the habits she had. Not to mention the glowing thing... that was a bit odd. It would be strange if she had some sort of magic to make rainbows or cutesy things.

'I wonder what kind of magic she would have. Magic comes in so many forms. I mean like my friend Rarity, her magic helps her make her wonderful clothing. She can even find gem stones. So a pony in a spooky house...who likes the forest... who knows!'

Looking down at the cool water she smiled to herself. It sure was peaceful there. She could spend hours just listening to the birds and the sounds of the wind. She looked over to Skye as he started to speak about the Princess and being younger. Did he know her as a younger pony? Then how old was he?

'Dance?' she came out of her thoughts at that question. 'Oh, I don't know... I really don't go to social gatherings. Though I do have ticket to the Gala... but I'm just going to go see the gardens.'

The peryton pondered, his tongue flicking over his lips for a moment as he listened to her. He thought about ghostly ponies dancing macabre dances around a broken down house that was filled with restless pony spirits. Or the spirits of other creatures, one never new with spirits. He nodded in agreement at her comments about sleeping during the day, and added "I do that often." But he had a harder time picturing the lonely unicorn on her own without his heart going out to her, at least until she'd been proven friend or foe, and a plan began running through his mind.

He couldn't think of what sort of magic she might have, being a spooky unicorn. Unicorns had all sorts of powers, far too many to name. Fluttershy's friend Twilight likely had the greatest power he'd ever heard of, next to Celestia and likely soon, Luna. And had never heard of of a pony that glowed, that was most definitely unique. It so happened that his thoughts were parallel to hers, and he almost giggled at the thought of a ghostly pony making rainbows and other unusual but friendly things.

Large ears swivelled as she spoke again, and he nodded enthustically at her words. "Rarity, I've heard other ponies speaking of her. She's that one that has the huge layer cake shop with all the dresses, I presume? And gem stones. There's so many around, just for the taking if any were to look, and I imagine she could put them to very good use in her fashions. I've heard tell. I bet it's spectacular."

Though the birdsong was lovely, and the whispering of the winds in the trees soothing almost to the point of making him drowsy, he wasn't quite ready to fall asleep right here, not in front of Fluttershy without being sure she could find her way home safely. "The gardens," he murmured. "I've heard they are quite lovely. I would dearly enjoy seeing them myself, perhaps in your company. If only there were a way I could safely make it up there. But that's still some time off. I'm thinking about that lonely pony, and if she'd recieved an invite or was able to get a ticket. If not, perhaps we could keep each other company and when you return, you can tell us all about them. That would be very nice!"

"Yes, that is Rarity's shop. She makes so many lovely dresses. I modeled some for her once... but... well... I'm not really a model type." Fluttershy was glad she no longer was in that spotlight. Being a model had been miserable; just too much attention and it took all of her time. "And she's even been asked by Hoity Toity to make some dresses for his shop. Someday I bet she'll be one of the most famous ponies in fashion."

She smiled at the thoughts of the royal garden. Honestly she couldn't wait to see them. However hearing Skye speak about wanting to go made her wonder. What did he mean by safely get up there? Couldn't he just walk? It wasn't like Cloudsdale and up in the air.

"I don't know if she would have gotten a ticket. They can be hard to come by. Twilight got them for all of us because she is the Princess' student. There are a lot of ponies who would do anything to get a ticket." She cocked her head to the side. "But if you don't go... I'll make sure to tell you all about the garden when I get back."

Skye cocked his head as he listened, and tried to picture Fluttershy in a fashion show. Given her gentle demeanour and sweetness, he had a hard time visualizing her in anything that required a lot of attention. "Oh, but I think you're sweet and pretty, surely you'd have completely wowed the crowd at first step on stage." though her tone sounded like she didn't like it a whole lot, "But I can understand if you don't. Look at me, I can't even go into Ponyville without drawing attention to myself. There's too many ponies to daydream my way through." he sighed a bit and looked forlorn. "And there's that shop with all those heavenly smells there, too. So many shops and food places, just once I'd like to be able to stroll into one without getting stared at." he smiled. "I'm sure that pleased her to no end, being selected for making dresses like that. I'm glad for her, if it's one thing that makes me the most happy, it's ponies finding their dreams come true."

"Well, if the ghostly pony didn't get a ticket, I'll see about looking her up while she's gone. You know where you can always find me, so when you do get back I'd love to hear tell all about it. I'm not sure I'd be able to go even if the Princess herself came down and gave me a ticket." he looked up towards the mountain with Canterlot perched precariously upon it. "There's a few small trails here and there, but the main road has too many ponies on it to travel it, even at night. The only other way for me to get up there safely would be by air." he fluttered his wings. "And Perytons can't fly, as I'm sure I mentioned." but he fairly bounced at the thought. "The gardens would be a great thing to hear about. Tigerlilies that really purr, Snapdragons that really breathe fire..."

"Twilight is a very special pony to have been able to get tickets for all of you. She sounds like a true friend. I'd like to meet her myself someday, too. In fact, I think I'd enjoy meeting all of your friends someday."

'That was the thing, everypony just loved me when I modeled. But it was too much attention. Everywhere I went there were cameras and ponies trying to get me to sign things. And it was strange seeing my face on ads for things around town.' Fluttershy shook her head a little. Even Applejack had put her on apple bushels to help sales. 'I much rather just enjoy being in the background. There are other ponies much more suited for fame.'

When Skye mentioned how hard it would be for him to get to Canterlot, the Pegasus thought for a moment. He couldn't fly but... 'Oh! You could probably go in Twilight's balloon. One time Rainbow Dash was in a competition in Cloudsdale. That one where she ended up saving Rarity... we spoke of it not long ago. Our non-flying friends were able to come up to see us because of a hot air balloon. Maybe you could borrow it, or ride along with them. Then you could see the gardens too... well if you had a ticket. But... maybe you'll be lucky and get one still.'

All her friends were special. Whether they were old or new. She took a moment to think about each of them. She had even been a little to shy to even speak with Twilight when she first came, but she was glad she did. And that made her mind wander to the black Unicorn they had been talking about. Maybe she could be a friend too.

'I have an idea Skye. How about we go see that haunted house together?'

Skye nodded as Fluttershy told him how the modelling career, as short as it was, affected her. He shuddered, he couldn't imagine himself in that kind of a spotlight and admited Fluttershy for having as much courage as she did to go even as far as she had! That was impressive. His opinion of her went up yet another notch. "I know how you feel. It'd be counterproductive to help anyone in trouble if everyone came about and demanded I walk them through the woods every time they came here. Those who really needed my help wouldn't be able to have it, and those who didn't need it would learn nothing for themselves."

"Twilight has a balloon? I've seen them flying overhead, but I never get to see who's in them. I remember one going overhead with a pink pony and a dragon in it, shouting announcements. It was hard to hide that day, with all the ponies running through! I ended up missing a few obstacles on the way as a result, I'm glad nopony was seriously hurt. But a ride in a balloon...that could be fun! Do you really think she'd be willing to take me up?" he almost bounced with the thought, there weren't many exciting things that went on here, but the thought of seeing the world from up high was definitely an idea that he felt he'd enjoy a great amount!

Then as she spoke again, he considered, then nodded. "I think I would like that. I can leave the Wood for a while, if anypony needs me as they come through, part of the magic lets me come back quickly to help them."

'Oh yes, she does. And you probably saw Pinkie Pie and Spike. They were suppose to be covering the race that day... though Pinkie Pie tends to say all sorts of things.' She laughed lightly at that. Her friend was rather random, and all ponies she knew would agree.

'But I'm sure Twilight would let you borrow it, or go with her. She is very nice. And if you're my friend, then you'll probably be her friend too.' Fluttershy wondered for a moment what it would be like to not be able to fly. To her a hot air balloon wasn't needed, but she imagined for someone who never left the ground, it would be very exciting.

'Part of your magic lets you get back here quickly? Oh that's interesting. See, you can Twilight would have plenty to talk about... with her talent being magic and all.'

Getting up she stretched. 'I wonder if now is a good time to go over there... I mean it's not night time yet...but surely that Unicorn is home... since I've never seen her leave sooner than late afternoon. Do you think we'll bother her?'

Skye nodded as he got to his hooves, stretching and letting out a wiggle that ended with his tail. "She said something about hotdogs, that Pinkie. Very random! I could hear her all the way from here. But she seems like fun. A bit wild, if you ask me, but that's okay. I can't help but smile." He paused to dip his face into the water again to take a sip, and then for Fluttershy to choose to do the same before he turned back towards the path leading in.

"I think that would be very nice of her. If she's anything like you, I imagine we'll get along famously. A hot air balloon! Imagine that!" he looked up at the sky and imagined him peeking down over the wood from above it. Then returned to earth and nodded. "I can run really fast, and it helps being able to dash from tree to tree. I'm not sure how it works, but wherever I go, I seem to be able to return home faster than I leave, so coming back is never an issue. And if I'm needed, I can project a dreamlet until I manage to make it back, that usually works well enough. It gets tougher with distance, though."

As he started walking down the path with her, he pondered. "I don't think it might be too late, unless she sleeps during the day like I do. Though in a house, that might not be a bad thing, it gets awful hot out here sometimes. Maybe we can have some tea at your cottage and when she comes out, see if we can't invite her?"

'A dreamlet?'

Fluttershy had to ask as they began to head out of the little hidden forest paradise. She wondered exactly what that was, since it wasn't a word she'd heard before. Though she was able to at least figure it had to do with his dream type abilities he'd mentioned before. If all Perytons were like Skye, she imagined them to be very helpful beings.

'She might sleep during the day. I don't know. Hopefully we won't bother her. And yes, tea would be wonderful. I think that's a good way to meet other ponies. You get to talk and relax. I wouldn't mind having her and you at my cottage. Company is nice.'

She smiled. Maybe this would be a lucky day and she would make two new friends. If not, at least she'd made friends with Skye... and she got to see a wonderful new place out in the woods. That made her happy.

Skye nodded at her question. "A dreamlet is sort of a half-aware daydream. It takes a lot of my concentration to do it, but I sort of send myself elsewhere. The further away I am, the more concentration it takes, and if it's broken, then I lose it. But sending one back here, where my home is, is easier than sending one elsewhere. But I can only do it so far. But it's more like I get a vague sense that something is wrong and I run as close as I can before doing it. Saves from getting into trouble directly too." as they stepped out onto the path, he indicated his perch high above. "From there, it's a lot easier because I have such a great view of things."

He walked alongside her as she spoke, and nodded again. "Well, if she sleeps during the day, then I'm sure we can just take a quick peek to see if she is. If so, like I said, a little tea would be nice while we wait. I'd like to see your cottage up close. And you are very good company." he beamed to the yellow pegasus. "I can see why you get along so well with animals, there's not an unpleasant bone in your body." together, he walked with Fluttershy towards the opening to the wood. As they arrived, he became a little apprehensive as the valley of Ponyville spread beneath the rolling hills. "It's been a while since I've been out here during the day."

'Oh my, dreamlets sound so interesting. I know for sure Twilight would love to hear about those. She loves to study all sorts of things. And... well I've never heard of such before. I wonder if she has. If not well, I'm sure she'd love to ask you all about them.'

Fluttershy paused as they reached the end of the woods and looked out toward Ponyville. 'Well, we don't have to go near the town if it makes you nervous. Since that house is on the outskirts as it is... we can just take the trail that walks around the outside,' she raised a hoof to point at the path. 'It might take a little longer to get there, but it's usually pretty empty. Most ponies cut right through the town because it's a shorter walk.'

She smiled as she looked from the lay of the land back to Skye. 'Oh... well I hope there isn't anything unpleasant about me. Unless... well unless you count the...'stare'. It just kind of happens. But it helps with unruly critters.'

Skye nodded as they paused on the edge of the wood. "Maybe one of these days I'd be willing to give her a demonstration. It's easier where it's nice and quiet. Doing it in the middle of town would be virtually impossible, but out here I could show her. But I'm sure all ponies daydream one way or another. The only difference is that I influence them." He looked out over the road towards the small town laying in the valley below. He took a breath and indicated Sweet Apple Acres at its side. "I usually go around that way, since I can stop and nab a few apples. It's where I go for a little variety. I hope she doesn't mind, but I can go all the way around town that way without ever once stepping foot in it. But I'd be happy to walk all day with you, Fluttershy. Things have been pretty quiet and calm, that your company is a sweet breeze."

"What do you mean the 'Stare'? I don't think there's anything unpleasant about you at all. If I were an animal, I'd most likely be at your whim as well. There's just something about you that reaches me on a different level than most other ponies. It's not just a pleasure, it's a treat. I'm sure others feel the same way. I'm sure that's how you can get all the other animals to work with you while most of us can't even get them to pay attention." as he started walking with her down the far path, he pondered the future things. A ghost-like pony who needed friends, tea with Fluttershy at her cottage and more frequent forays in that direction...Skye wondered if he shouldn't see if maybe it was time Celestia might release him of his obligation to stay, so he might travel more freely. Someday.

'Oh I think Twilight would go just about anywhere to learn of something new. I'm sure she would come out here to meet you.' Fluttershy smiled as they started along the path around the outside of town. 'And as for taking a few apples... I suppose that's not so bad. I mean, there are so many, it would be hard to notice one or two missing. Plus I don't think they sell the ones that have fallen off the tree before they could be harvested. I think I remember Applejack saying they may be too ripe already and selling them would be bad because they may spoil before the customers can eat them.'

She couldn't help blushing at all the compliments. She just wasn't use to it. In fact even when her friends praised her she tended to downplay it and get red cheeks. 'And 'the stare' is just something that happens. It's just... well it's this look. I have stared down a Cockatrice and sent it running... if that makes it any more clear of what kind of look. But it doesn't happen often.'

Skye perked his ears as she mentioned Twilight again. The more she spoke of her friend, the curiouser he became. He smiled with a nod, "I would like that very much!" as they trod around the outer edge of the town. Most of this clear country was dotted here and there with small bushes, but most of the ponies rarely came this way. "I just don't like stealing, but I hoped she wouldn't miss a few discards. If there's an opportunity, I'd like to introduce myself to Applejack. Maybe we can work out something, a fresh bushel of apples now and then would be absolutely wonderful. Well, maybe a small bag of them perhaps. I don't really have anywhere to keep them.

He stepped carefully over a few ruts here and there, his small hooves barely making an indentation on the packed earth below. "Some of the ponies that come through have a number of unusual goods they carry with them. I've always wondered what they do with them. I've heard of lands beyond Ponyville, but I've never even seen a map of them. Have you ever been that far out? There is supposed to be a great desert somewhere out there."

When she explained the stare, he looked shock. "That sounds like magic! To stare down a Cockatrice! I wouldn't have even dared trying to look at it, they're so dangerous. How'd you manage to keep from getting turned to stone? Staring down a Cockatrice..." he shook his head, seemingly in disbelief. "If I didn't think you incapable of fibbing, I'd suspect you were pulling my leg. I truly believe you could do such a thing. I hope you never have to use your stare on me."

'I'm sure Applejack wouldn't mind working something out with you.' Fluttershy just nodded. 'Her and her family are all so nice. Even if Big Macintosh looks like he's a big tough pony, he's actually very polite. Pretty quiet too. And her little sister is sure full of energy. But her and her friends are so cute.'

She looked along the path, enjoying the walk. She could see the outline of the house they were heading for in the distance, and it made her a little nervous. At least she wasn't alone. But still, even just the outline and shadow looked rather creepy.

'I'm not sure if it's magic. It might be... but it's not like Unicorn magic. It's not something I can do by will. It just happens. But it seems to happen when I need it too. Like with the Cockatrice, Apple Bloom and her friends needed me to protect them. I wasn't about to let it hurt those little foals. And it had already turned Twilight into stone, so it needed to be taught a lesson.' She nodded a little. 'All creatures need to be reminded how to behave now and then... even the dangerous ones.'

Continued Here