[Bareback Gulch] A Stop at the Rhinestone

Martini Paradise was humming quietly along with the fine music she could always trust Djemba to play, while as she magically used her horn to wiped down the already perfectly clean waxed wood of the bar with a magically animated cloth. It just seemed like the natural bartender thing to do to her. There were a great many thoughts rushing through her mind, behind the calm exterior - first and foremost was whether she should have a similarly fancy and western gown like Djemba and her employer, Ms. Stone, were so beautifully wearing. Sterling didn't mention anything to her about dress code, so she wasn't sure. Of course, this revealed another problem - where would she get one, and how could she afford it?

Martini's train of thought was suddenly broken when she heard someone enter through the door. When she looked up, she spotted a pink, gray, and orange colored Griffin. Martini had seen a few Griffins around town, but she had never interacted with any of them - they always came off as standoffish to her, as if they'd rather not converse with a pony if they didn't have to. Soon after, an orange unicorn entered and started to converse with the Griffon, "maybe she is different from the others," Martini pondered, "maybe she likes ponies."

Listening to the chatter of the room, she overheard the request for a glass of wine. Wine wasn't nearly as much fun to serve, but there was an art to that, too. Always happy to be proactive, she lifted one of the finer wine bottles out of its rack with her horn. Bracing the bottle with her hooves, she concentrated, and the cork flew out of the bottle with a loud *pop*! She took down two glasses and a serving tray with her telekinesis, placed them on the counter, and lifted up the bottle in her teeth to pour out a half-glass of red wine each. She could leave them there to breathe a little until Ms. Stone could deliver them to the table.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sterling.png

Sterling had almost forgotten how nice it was to have some support staff behind her, taking a moment to spare a lingering glance to Djemba as the griffin complimented the pony's knowledge of her trade and Sterling beamed with some pride. A slight nod of her head was given as the griffin made her order, passing to confirm with the unicorn that he would be having the same before she turned towards the bar.

A swift and approving nod and smile were given to Martini as she arrived to find the wine glasses waiting on a tray for her - perfect! She also approved of the mare's method of getting the drinks - preferring to take them herself in the stead of a non-hired waitress so that her bartender could remain at the bar in case of the arrival of more patrons. As Sterling slid the tray onto her back and balanced it with black-tipped wings she might have considered grabbing a menu however she still hadn't hired a cook and had no steady menu to offer. Instead, as she returned to the table and slid the tray with the wine glasses onto the smooth surface she offered a knowing smile to the pair.

"I don't have to much in the kitchen because I haven't gotten another cook yet but I can wipe you up a little something if either of you are hungry?" Obviously the pair were travelers - Bareback Gulch was relatively small and Sterling knew everyone in town, these two she didn't recognize.

"It's different, hm? Perhaps it's more refined? Elegant? Most upscale establishments do tend to cater to Griffins back west, since we are the ones with the money. It's only natural for places like this for ponies to crop up as we enter areas where they are the predominant species. Uh, where you are predominant, that is," she added, remember that she was in fact speaking to a pony.

When Sterling delivered their drinks, she took a sip right away. Lola was no wine expert, but she knew enough to tell that this was no swill. "Not bad at all. I for one and not particularly hungry, but I imagine my associate is quite famished." The supplies Lola had brought had not taken the pony into account, as she'd had them prepared before she had known he would be joining them.

She smiled disarmingly at Sterling. "I must admit, I had not expected to find an establishment such as this in such an insignificant settlement. You must get quite a few travelers coming through in order to secure enough business to afford to maintain such an enterprise, no?

Ashton grinned a little at her correction. Many of his friends back home made the same errors. He was quite used to it. He was however a little irked with her half ordering for him. While he was hungry, he could order for himself. He hoped the Griffin didn't see him as a creature that needed to be cared for. Griffins like that were almost as bad as those who looked down on them directly. He tried to not let it get to him. Maybe they were just trying to be courteous.

"I would, like something. he replied, perhaps a little forcefully. "but there isn't any rush." he added. He didn't really have any plans afterward. He could probably idle the rest of the day away in here. He glanced around the room without saying anything more.

sterling.png

Sterling spare glances between the griffin and pony quite curiously.. this was an interested pair of travelers - it was rare to see such.. actually, come to think of it Sterling was quite sure she'd never seen a griffin and pony that were traveling together. She gave herself a moment to wonder what strange circumstances had let to this before finding the pair were speaking again and providing them her attention. The griffin's suspicions about her company being famished seemed to be right on as the unicorn confirmed that he could do with a bite to eat.

Before heading back to the bar Sterling took a moment to excuse herself from Lola's comments graciously. Thankfully she still had some sandwiches made for the group that were situated at the bar so she collected a few from the try onto a separate plate and returned to settle them before Ashton with a gentle smile.

"I do during most seasons, travelers don't have many accommodations around these parts, it's either here at the Quarry, the inn in town or on the hard rock outside; but my business isn't my only means of income." She explained before returning to Lola a smile similar to the griffin's own.. though she was still trying to determine what about this griffin she knew or recalled.

Lola paid no attention to Ashton's irritation, attributing it to hunger, and to the generally poor manners of the lower classes. The hostess seemed like a much more urbane individual, and thus made a more promising pony to converse with. "We actually already made arrangements in town, though had I known this place was here I likely would have preferred to lodge here."

"Spreading out one's investments is a wise business stratagem, it's always beneficial to have a backup source of income, in case of unforeseen circumstances. Ah, but where are my manners, allow me to introduce myself. I am Lola Silverbeak of Talonopolis, and this is my traveling companion, Ashton Stone of Rockwington. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Lola extended a claw to shake... appendages... with the pegasus. She hoped ponies shared that custom in spite of their hooved legs, and that she wasn't just making a fool of herself.

"Thank you" Ashton said as the hostess set the plate of sandwiches in front of him. The looked delicious, either Miss Sterling was a fair chef in her own right or he was hungrier than he thought he was. Either way his mouth was soon full of sandwich.

When Lola introduced him he almost interjected but stopped. There was no reason to get upset, it wouldn't do him any good. Besides, his mouth was full. He really just wanted to talk to someone else for a change. He was in the balloon all day with Lola and it would be the same thing tomorrow. Lola seemed to be monopolizing the conversation here. He swallowed and moved his untouched wine glass to his plate next to the remaining sandwich. "Excuse me." he stated as he stood up. He picked up his plate and moved to the bar.

Ashton set down his plate spilling a little of the full glass onto his sandwich. He tried to get the attention of the bartender. Maybe he could get some answers from her. "Excuse me." he asked in a poor imitation of confidence, "Are you from Canterlot?"

sterling.png

Sterling exchanged a few curious glances between griffin and pony before Lola would monopolize her attention for conversation which Sterling was polite enough to grant her. A faint nod of her head was given as Lola went on to mention her lodge situation and the hostess took a moment to consider. "If you'd like I can certainly arrange for your accommodations to be moved here.." It would be a minor deal adjustment between Sterling and the innkeeper in town, usually with the innkeeper borrowing one of Sterling's staff members for a few hours of labor to make up for the customer though Sterling was not familiar with the inn-pony's views of griffins which would certainly change how things were handled.

She was flattered by the other's compliment for her business strategies and as the introduction was made it cleared up the suspicions Sterling had had about the other. "Ah, Silverbeak.. I've heard of your family a bit, at least from a few griffins that come through here though as you could imagine we don't have many. Sterling Stone, a pleasure indeed." She couldn't help but chuckle faintly at the news that she and Ashton shared a name segment as she turned to given the unicorn a slight nod of her head.

Her gaze left Ashton after he'd excused himself from the table and wandered off to greet Martini at the bar. Lola would find she was not a fool at all as Sterling extended a hoof and settled it into the griffin's claw for a friendly shake.

Martini was using her magic to clean the glasses with a wash cloth, and at first wasn't paying too much attention as the place seemed rather quiet today with the two patrons more interested in food than anything else. She became lost in her thoughts wondering how Sunrise was doing today, and if she was keeping out of trouble. Facing away, she was oblivious to the fact the orange unicorn sat himself at her bar, at least until he spoke. On hearing his inquiry, Martini swung around in surprise, almost instinctive swinging the glass with her and hitting it against the wall before she stopped herself. "OH! Oh..I am sorry sir, I didn't see you there! Can I get you something?" She blurted out immediately with some deferential embarrassment in her voice, before registering he was already asking her a question, but not one of drink or food. He wanted to know if she was from Canterlot, of all places.

Martini collected herself and smiled, why would he think that? She certainly didn't look like the Canterlot type, even if she was a unicorn. In all her travels looking for work she had never even been there. The capital wasn't a city you just walk into as a vagrant or homeless. Maybe he was flirting with her, or maybe he was genuinely curious, either way she had no reason not to be friendly, besides, she thought to herself, he is pretty cute.

Martini walked over, trying her best to look demure but friendly, "Well actually I am afraid I have never been there sir. I am originally from the Gallopocous Island myself before wandering Equestria and ending up here. How about you? Are you from there?"

((OoC: Just a small note. Unless otherwise stated Ashton doesn't use magic. I think the only thing he's used it for since arriving is for eating the sandwich))

He hadn't even noticed her falter. He was far too tense to pick up on that. Not only was the waitress rather attractive but she was also a Unicorn like himself.

Gallopocous? He had heard the name somewhere before. Something his Grandfather had ordered once? Some material maybe, but he had no idea where it was on the map. He hoped it was a little obscure and he wasn't just stupid. His ears drooped a little but he tried to keep smiling. Now that he thought of it, it was rather silly to assume she would be from Canterlot. There was more to Equestria than just Fillydephia and Ponyville.

"Me? No." he replied, "I'm from Rockwington, going to Canterlot." He tentatively took a sip of his drink. It was a lot softer than he expected* though he couldn't say he cared for the taste all that much. Reminded him of strong cranberry juice. "I just don't really know what to expect when I get there. Its supposed to be the 'city of magic' and everything." He took another gulp.

*Ashton has a bit of an 'experience' in the past; Be wary if your Diamond Dog friend offers you alcohol they nicked from their father. Doubly so if it appears to be stored in a jar normally used for preserves. It's probably best NOT to drink it.

Lola visibly relaxed as Ashton wandered off, though she didn't even realize it herself. His peculiar temperament baffled her. Between his thoroughly common interests and his equine demeanor he was incredibly difficult for her to wrap her head around. Sterling, however seemed much more her sort, it was quite a relief talking to her.

Lola considered Sterling's offer to change her accommodations. "Hmm... well, I am tempted, but I have another companion who isn't here, and I'm not certain if he will stop by for me to tell him. I suppose I could just have my room changed... oh, but then I make it seem like I'm not willing to share the same lodgings as my lower class companions, I don't want that either." She sighed resolutely. "No, no, thank you, but no. I shall endure. It's only for one night, after all."

At the news that her family's name had spread this far already, Lola smiled slyly. "Ah, I hadn't expected anyone this far away to know of us." She lowered her voice somewhat. "Hmm... so what exactly have you heard, if you don't mind my asking? Nothing good I hope?"

Martini could usually read other ponies rather well - it came with the job, and she had grown very adept at the skill over the years of mixing drinks.  The orange unicorn colt was tense and unsure, nervous.  She just didn't know why.  Maybe travel made him nervous, like many of the travelers that would pass through Bareback, or perhaps it was his griffin companion, who appeared to have a rather dominating personality.  Whatever the case, it was time to be attentive and friendly as possible. "I heard it is the most beautiful city in all of Equestria!  I have only seen it far up in the mountains from a distance, and even from there it was breathtaking!" She smiled warmly as she called forth the bottle of the same wine he had been drinking, floating it down to set it on the counter-top, just to be attentive. "So you you are traveling there, but from the sound of it, you haven't ever been there either?"  She smiled kindly, hoping by offering a caring, responsive ear and a warm smile, the colt would feel much more at ease, "So why are you traveling there now, if you don't mind me asking?"

Ashton sighed lightly. Maybe he was being stupid, letting it get to him. She was being friendly enough. "Really? That sounds. Nice." She sounded earnest but he couldn't really believe anything like a city could be called 'breathtaking'. He supposed he would find out in the next few days.

"Why now? I guess I've been always busy learning from and helping my Parents and Grandparents. Right now we're a little ahead so I'm taking the chance to get away from home for a while." he took another drink. He was a little uncomfortable talking about himself. Talking to this pony who was clearly adept at her job made him feel unskilled. "I wonder if I can find a tutor in Canterlot." he covered his mouth with his hoof realizing he had said the last bit out loud. He drained his glass and hoped she hadn't noticed.

Martini felt a little concerned - he didn't seem all that enthused by her brief description of Canterlot, though none of that concern showed on her cheerful face. That's alright, there is plenty more we can talk about, she thought, still hoping to get her customer to feel at ease and at home at her bar. She prided herself on being the friendliest bartender, who always got ponies to smile and have a good time, and she wasn't going to fail now!

Listening to the orange unicorn open up a little more by mentioning why he was traveling to Canterlot, she saw an opening to engage him further. She smiled politely as she used her horn to bring the wine bottle closer to them both. "Oh! You're going to Canterlot to learn? Well, I hear that is where all the best universities in magic are, and where all the best students in all of Equestia come from! What are you going there to train for? Same thing as your parents and grandparents?" She smiled broadly, hoping that getting him to open up about himself would allow him to feel much more at ease and not so tense, plus she would get to know him better.

Before he had a chance to answer her, she noticed he had managed to empty his glass. Smiling politely, if not a little flirtatiously, she brought the wine bottle up between them with her horn, "would you like some more wine? You seem to like this selection so far!"

There were two benefits to having an orange coat such as his. One was that he blended in nicely in the reddish orange canyon rocks. Being able to camouflage easily was a great boon when trying to avoid those that might try and rob or extort you. Second it made his blush less visible. "No... I mean. I need the basics." he bit at his lip a little. "I can't do the spells my Grandfather tries to teach me. Even the finding spell I can't get to work without a sample. My sister mastered it in a month. I haven't gotten it in years." He wasn't quite sure why he kept going. He didn't really have a reason to share with this Unicorn. "I try not to pick up anything fragile because I'm afraid I'll drop it. I've lost count of how many dishes I've shattered."

Ugh. He must sound like an idiot. Like a lame Griffin who couldn't fly. Somehow though he felt a little better. Even if she thought he was pathetic it felt good to tell someone. He tried to smile a little. Even if things went badly he would know what to expect in Canterlot then.

He rubbed his face with his hooves. "I'm sorry, I'm just really nervous. If I had talons I could count the number of ponies I know on them." He sighed. "Maybe, something else. I don't know." He must seem like a terrible patron. Maybe he should have just stayed with the balloon.

Listening to the orange unicorn, Martini could see the worried, nervous, even introspective look on his face. He was rather vague on the type of magic he was speaking of or what profession ran in his family, but it seemed very important to him. Martini figured she could ask him more about it - that was the most important thing Bartenders did, after all - ask questions, and listen. Not to give advice, not necessarily to even find an answer ... but just be there to help the customer work through it, to give them a friendly ear. More than being part of the job, Martini loved being the pony customers could talk to. It was a special talent as much as her drink mixing.

Hearing him talk about how nervous he was, she gave a reassuring smile. "It is quite alright, hon. It can be hard to talk to strangers, after all, and you don't know me. My name is Martini Paradise, but you can call me Martini, almost everyone does", she winked. "And now we're not strangers', she giggled.

"If you don't mind me asking, hon, what is your family's trade? It sounds important to do, since you are traveling all this way just to work at it. It sounds admirable." Martini gave a friendly, tranquil expression, softly putting the bottle down next to them. She wanted to be attentive, but she didn't want to push the drink on him at all. "What is your special talent though, hon?" She couldn't really see his cutie mark from her angle, and didn't want to appear rude by craning for a look. Besides, every pony loved to talk about their special talent.

((OoC: What I was trying to get accross is Ashton is poor at all kinds of magic. His spells often fizzle or weaken and he has immense difficulty learning any new spells. He is effectively magically 'challenged'.))

"Thats not quite it." he responded. He felt like he was repeating himself. Maybe he wasn't being clear enough. "I can hardly do ANY magic. I hear so much about Canterlot I'm afraid that I'll embarass myself or my family." he sighed. "I don't really want to go there, its just thats where the balloon is going. I was hoping to go to Phillydelphia or Ponyville first."

"I'm Ashton. Ashton Stone. My family owns a jewlerly store in Rockwington." He paused. It was wierd for her to be so friendly. Were all ponies out east like this? And what is my special talent? It seemed a strange thing to ask. It was a bit of an uncofortable subject. His Grandfather had always told him that his mark indicated he would be a great jewler but he never felt all that great. The forge made him nervious, he couldn't engrave, and his designs were uninspired. But his whole life was jewlery and his Jet mark reinforced that. "I guess. Its jewlery." he replied with no ethusiasm. He felt frusterated not being able to give a proper awnser. She seemed to be almost asking hard questions on purpose.

Martini continued her cheerful demeanor in the hope that it would put the orange unicorn more at ease, hiding the worry she felt for the likable unicorn. She didn't want to pry - but it was her job to be a good listener, and she just plain liked being social and talkative. "Actually, from what I heard, Canterlot is the best place to go to improve one's magic, I am sure you can do your family proud there!" She smiled encouragingly, not sure entirely what more to say. She just wanted him to feel at ease.

The thing that struck her as most unusual, however, was his cutie mark. He didn't seem too sure one what it meant - which was odd. It was, after all, an outward symbol of a very personal and life-changing realization, a representation of their special talent, their potential, and what they wanted to be. Everyone she'd ever met was proud of their cutie mark!

"You guess?" She asked with mix of curiosity and surprise. "Well, hon, if you don't find it too personal a question for me to ask ... If you're a jeweler, why is your cutie mark an uncut stone? How'd you get your cutie mark? What were you doing, that you loved, when it appeared for you?" She gave a slightly awkward smile, hoping maybe if he told her, it be a happy story that would make him feel more comfortable. After all, who didn't like talking about the origin of their cute mark? The cutie mark was always the happiest and most exciting moment of a foal's coming of age, and he seemed to need a reminder of what had so moved him when he was younger.

sterling.png

Sterling spared a moment to glance after Ashton as he wandered over to the bar, pleased to see that Martini was taking up the social slack - it was so good having staff on hand again after some months without much help. With one customer covered she could turn her attention back to the feathered female who was still at the table as the griffin seemed interested in carrying on their little chit chat. Sterling only smiled in response to the other as Lola was turning her options over and over again, considering not only herself but the companions whom she was traveling with - the unicorn being one Sterling assumed.

"That's quite understandable, please do keep the Quarry in mind the next time you need accommodations in these parts though." Sterling offered with a smile and nod of her head as wings adjusted against either side of her and helped to straight the vibrant material that was situated on her rear end over her long tail. Sterling laughed ever so slightly at Lola's sly smile as the griffin's interested piqued at the mention of her family name.

"Not much I'm afraid, neither good nor bad - only that it is a well known name among your kind. I'm not quite sure what business others of yours have had through these parts but your family name and a few others have been mentioned in conversation." This was pretty much the truth, Sterling didn't often have time to socialize when she was short-handed with staff, and even less with traveling griffins who didn't always care for the chatter with a pony. On occasion one might be inclined, but not all that often.

(( So sorry about the wait. D: ))

((OoC: Glad to have you back Meow!

I'm actually considering requesting permission to change Ashton's mark. I wanted to imply that he refines things. Such as cutting a gem or polishing a finished piece of jewlery. I didn't want to resort to using a jar of polish or a generic gemstone but showing the raw material doesn't really express the right idea as much as I hoped.))

Her words offered a bit of relief to him. Maybe his inability to do magic wouldn't stand out as much. Or at least maybe he could hide it until he figured out what his problem was. He just had to hope that he wouldn't embarrass his family too much.

"It IS a little personal, yes." he replied curtly. "I am a jeweler because I want to be a jeweler. Its as simple as that." Even if he didn't feel his work was up to his Grandfathers standards didn't mean it wasn't what he was meant to do. On his good days he could make a piece he could be proud to sell. "Besides, isn't it natural to want to follow in your parents hoofsteps?"

"I... Guess I could explain it. I've never really been asked by another pony before." Now that he thought about it besides his family and close Griffin and Diamond Dog friends he probably had never told the story to anybody.

"It was a few years back, pretty early in spring I think. My Mother was taking my sister and I along with her to gather raw gems from the caves. Its pitch black inside so my sister and I had to keep up with her. In one of the deeper caverns we found a huge amount of Prasiolite. I mean green quartz. Crystal-wise they weren't that great. They were all spotty and foggy. The thing that made them special is that they were glowing brightly enough to light up the room. Sometimes you can find glowing rocks in the caves. If you break them off they stop glowing after a few seconds so we don't collect them. Usually though its just a crystal or two and they don't cast enough light to read by but in that chamber it was practically daylight. Well if the sun was green that is."

"Our mother decided we could take a break there. Take inventory, give her horn a rest, that sort of thing. Unfortunately I lost track of her. I guess I was too absorbed in the rocks. By the time I realized what happened she was long gone. I really should have just stayed put but I figured that she only could have gone one way since there were only two tunnels leading in and out so I went out into the dark after her. From there I can't really tell you what happened. I know the paths branched a few times and that at some point I fell down a steep slope. When I tried to find my way back to the green chamber I just got more lost and ended up twisting my hoof."

"From that point on I just stayed where I was. I didn't exactly have much choice at that point. I felt horrible. I didn't know which was worse. The fact that nobody would probably ever find me or the fact I had gotten myself in this mess. At some point, probably hours after I got lost, I took out my polishing kit and a few stones my mother had given me to carry. I couldn't really do that good of job in the dark but I guess I found it calming. As sappy as it sound cleaning the dirt away felt like cleaning my worries away. At least at the moment."

"I must have calmed myself down enough to fall asleep at some point because my Grandfather tells me he found me asleep in the cave. It wasn't until we actually left the caves that I woke up. It was just around noon of the next day. I'd been missing for almost 24 hours. I slept most of the way back home and I didn't even notice until then that I had gotten my cutie mark."

"I guess it was probably the polishing but that seems a bit narrow doesn't it? Just polishing and cleaning? That's why I'm trying to learn as much as I can and be a real jeweler like my Mother and Grandfather." he finished. "I mean having clean gems is good and all but its not what makes it a great jewel in the first place, is it?"

"Of course, I will likely travel this way again on my trip back, and I shall certainly speak to you first." Lola smiled smugly. "I had hoped you might have encountered some political or business rival of ours coming through here, cursing our name. If you're not making enemies, you're probably doing something wrong, I always say. Still, it's no surprise that griffins who come through here would know the name, we are one of the three most influential clans in the griffin empire."

"My father runs the family business, which includes a very large share of all the industry in Talonopolis, so we have made more than a few enemies there. Ah, but I am getting carried away, perhaps you could tell me a bit about the pony kingdom. I know but a handful of facts about your society, mostly relating to the royal Princess who supposedly raises the sun and the moon with her magic. I must admit, I'd be disinclined to believe it had I not been there on the day when the sun failed to rise for much of the day, what was the story behind that, anyway?"

Lola paid no heed to the fact that she was monopolizing Sterling's attention. She was generally used to being the center of attention due to her status, and didn't even deign to notice the fact that she keeping the hostess preoccupied.

Martini Paradise felt a bit awkward and a bit guilty, and it showed visibly.  She didn't mean to pry, but Ashton Stone's indication that his cutie mark story was a bit personal made her feel she pried too much.  The last thing she ever wanted was a customer to feel uncomfortable; she didn't anticipate that talking about one's cutie mark would ever elict a less than positive response.

And yet, he went on to tell his cutie mark story, anyway..  She made sure to listen intently, not wanting to betray his confidence. His story seemed about standard, except for one omission - every story she'd ever heard involved a certain awed town, an excitement, a realization that ... THIS was what their special talent was! That was, after all, what a cutie mark meant - a physical indicator that you'd figured out your special talent. She didn't understand how anyone could have their cutie mark without that epiphany!

That curiosity, that oddity, and the closeness of the pain he shared, pulled her a bit out of her reserved barkeep's role - a barkeep was supposed to ask questions, not offer suggestions, but she was too curious. Polishing and cleaning ... there was probably more to his mark than that.  "Well hon, if I may be so bold.  I think that perhaps you are more of an artistic type of jeweler.  That you wish to make the stones as ascetically pleasing as possible and that is why while you were trapped, you focused on making the gems you had with you shine", she said with an encouraging smile.  She didn't really know if that was true, but she still believed in the concept that the cutie mark was always special.

"Maybe when you are in Canterlot, you can perhaps look into some sort of artistic pursuit? You seem to have the soul of an artist", she winked.  "I'm so flattered that you would share your story with me ... it was very trusting of you to do so. I promise I'll keep your confidence, bartenders' word!"  She held her forehoof to her heart while smiling encouragingly to the unicorn.

((OoC: He was irked about you questioning his desire to be a jeweler. Not asking about his cutie mark. He defines himself by being part of his family business like many griffins. To him it was an insult to imply that he wasn't meant to be a jeweler.))

"Thank you for saying that. The more I think about it, its probably a manner of scope. To broad or narrow." the fact that she didn't fully understand it either made him feel a bit better. "Maybe I can find some expert in Canterlot. It wasn't really something I could work out with my friends considering none of them have cutie marks themselves."

He took a bite out of his sandwich that he had almost forgotten. "And thank you for promising to keep it secret. It means a lot." He took a bite out of his sandwich that he had almost forgotten. Now that they seemed to have exhausted that line of conversation he wasn't sure what topic to discuss next. What do ponies talk about? "You said you were from Gallopus Island? What is it like there?"

• 2 weeks later...

Martini continued to smile politely to the orange unicorn, but inside she was worried - she didn't know if she really was helping or just annoying him, as he was hard to read. All she could do was offer the best ear she could, and hope he really would find what he was looking for in Canterlot - he seemed to have so much riding on it. "Well hon, you may indeed discover what you are looking for there and then see that your cutie mark is perfect for you!" She said with a wink and a warm smile as she attentively watched him eat his sandwich. "As for your story, my lips are sealed", as she makes a pretend zipper movement with her front hoof across her mouth, "bartender's code, you know!"

Watching him eat, she was surprised to hear him ask about where she is from. Most patrons don't really ask about her home - if they paid any real attention to her, it was usually just to flirt with or hit on her. Of course she didn't really mind that, but it was nice to be asked something more personal, friendlier.

'Yes, both my daughter and I came from there!'

Martini pondered for a moment as she thought best how to describe her home to someone who had never been there. "What are the islands like? Well, much like you'd see in any advertisement ... it really is beautiful jungles, gorgeous white beaches with wonderfully warm sand, waves for great surfing. The thing I liked the most, growing up there, was the tourists. All the tourists came to see the islands ... but through the tourists, I got to see everywhere else. They came from all over, with their stories, and I could just listen for hours as they talked about their homes, and where they'd traveled... ", she smiled with her eyes closed, reminiscing. "You really like, ought to go there sometime, just to vacation!"

Looking over at his half empty glass, she held up the wine bottle with her horn, "So ... would you like some more?" She beamed brightly to him, feeling cheered by the talk of where she grew up.

((OoC: Ashton outright emptied his glass a few posts back. The glass isn't half full, its all empty.))

Ashton smiled warmly. It was nice to not have to talk about himself. He wasn't really too comfortable talking about himself. It felt strange to be discussing personal problems with a relative stranger. In any case that part of the conversation was over. He would much rather listen to Martini talk about her home.

"That does sound nice." he closed his eyes trying to envision jungles and beaches. He couldn't really imagine endless water or being completely surrounded by trees but it still gave him a nice image. "I wish I could say the same about Rockwington. Don't get me wrong. The griffin artisans can make some amazing pieces of art and the University is breathtaking even if you can't afford to study there. Its just not the safest place if you're a pony.

He eyed his empty glass. He wasn't sure what his tolerance level was. He didn't think he had too much but how would he know? It could explain his slip up earlier but still one more probably wouldn't hurt.

"I uh. How about something else? I'm not really sure what to order though." Hopefully she would make a suggestion. He didn't really have any ideas or know the menu.