[Canterlot] Good Morning, Skyeshine! [Closed][ENDED]

(Continued from [Canterlot] Recuperation in...Paradise? [Closed][ENDED])

It was morning. Not Luna's favorite time of the day. Not usually, at least. Today was a bit different. Skye was here. It was the first morning since she had gotten back that she was actually...excited. Normally she would sleep through half the night and half the day, in order to maintain a sort of balance in her life. She could be awake when Celestia was, and at the same time, enjoy the first half of the nighttime that she loved so much.

Luna made her way from her private chambers to where Skye had been laid the night before. It was the same guestroom in which she and Skye had first been placed, and the embarrassing waking had occurred.

The door squeaked ever so slightly as she pushed it open. Luna walked over to bed Skye was lying on, to find him still peacefully asleep. His nose peeked just above the covers, and she could see the soft rise and fall of the blankets where his sides heaved in rhythmical breathing.

She tiptoed back out, making her way to the kitchen, where some of the servant ponies were already beginning breakfast. She tried to remember what it was Skye had seemed to like the day before...fruit, of course...and whipped cream. She thought hard about it...Waffles! How could she forget? Skye had definitely like the waffles.

Luna had the servants prepare a special tray with all the foods that Skye liked. There was a plate stacked high with waffles and syrup, and a large bowl of fruit. On a second tray, there was tea once again, along with a large bowl of whipped cream. Luna decided that she was going to take both the rolling trays herself, using her magic, of course. She dismissed the concerns of the staff about her doing work, since this was but an easy task.

She rolled them down to Skye's room, pushing the door open again. She rolled the trays next to the bed, and moved over to Skye's almost still form. She put a hoof lightly on him, pressing down ever so lightly.

"Skye. Skye?" she whispered.

The peryton was comfortable, it was warm and soft here, and a delicious warmth surrounded him on all sides. It was as if he were home again, those many years ago, with his family around. Dark, too, though he had no immediate desire to open his eyes. He rubbed his chin on the surface absently, not realizing right away he was back in bed. He didn't remember being moved from the garden back to it, but he hadn't been so comfortable in such a long time that there was no immediate inclination to do much more than enjoy the coziness. His nose wiggled as he breathed, and sweet little figments danced through his mind in half-sleep as he slowly began to emerge to the world above. Luna's entry and exit was missed, but only just barely, the squeak of the door causing his ears to flit, then splay as the sound was quickly forgotten. His stomach growled, bringing him back to full consciousness, and he grumbled at it.

As Luna's hoof gently nudged at him, and her soft voice whispered in his ear, he murmured to his belly, "I don't know how you can be hungry..." he murmured to it sleepily before he stretched, and poked his head from underneath the covers and peeked around. "Goodness, is it morning already? Oh, good morning, Princess." he smiled up at her. A yawn escaped him, his long, pink tongue curling from his jaws before he licked his lips. His nose wiggled as he caught the scent of the food and his eyes opened fully at the suggestion of breakfast. "Goodness, Luna, is that what I think it is? Another wonderful night like the last, and a morning like this, and I might be tempted to stay forever..."

Luna giggled, an almost musical sound escaping her lips. She moved away as Sky awoke, beginning to pour a cup of tea for herself and one for him. She levitated a cup over to him, setting it gently down on the bed. She pushed the trays of food against the bed now, encouraging Skye to eat once again. Then she pulled herself onto the bed beside him, sitting down and sipping from her own tea cup.

"You could you know." Luna said faintly. "There's plenty of spare rooms here. And it does get rather lonely, even with Celestia and all the guards and servants and things."

Then she was quiet. In the silence, she heard birds cheerfully chirping outside the window. It was such a lovely sound. It was amazing that, though there was sadness in her heart, the entire world could continue on without Luna, with all it's happiness and joys. This would probably be the last day that Skye would be here. Though Luna had offered him a permanent residence at the castle, she knew that this was no place for him. He was creature of the forest, an animal that could not be contained within walls. Skye needed his freedom, his forest, his home...and Canterlot Castle just wasn't it.

Skye broke into a broad smile as Luna giggled, delighting in the sound. His large ears wiggled as he took in the sound, before he sat up and dipped his nose into the teacup, sipping it carefully. Then he began to nibble on some of the waffles, of course getting some of the whipped cream on his nose. But it was such a heavenly treat, he had no idea when he might next enjoy something like this, so he took the time to indulge in the sweet, light flavor and the headier, heartier taste of the waffles themselves. Topped with fresh fruit, there was really no breakfast better that he could ever think of. At least, not that which was available as forest fare. Maybe he should learn to take up cooking...nah, that'd require a home, and a kitchen, and making and trading of flour and other goods...his head swam for a moment with the possibilities and the thought of all he'd have to do just to join society in that way.

As she spoke, he paused his breakfast, and looked thoughtful for a moment. His eyes focused on her as she explained the rooms available, and glanced around the one at present. He could stay here, the room was large enough, and she was right, the guards were there but hardly ever said anything, even if they occasionally seemed to give looks of disapproval. The gardens were gorgeous, and he could spend much time there, it'd be as if...living home. But he couldn't stay, not on his own, he had too much to do, as he'd been asked to once upon a time, and yet...

"I could only stay if you asked me to, Princess. I may not be able to grant all wishes, but some are within my power to...but that one I can only grant if you asked me to stay. I must leave by day's end and return home to take up my duties and you will always be welcome in the wood, of course." he ducked his head at the admission. "But I cannot change my home unless the Princess makes it official." he continued to munch on the waffle delightedly. "Though it's a tough decision, these waffles are delicious and a deer could get used to it." but he knew he'd miss the wood and all the bounty it had to offer, and watching over the travellers that came through and learning what he could from snatches of their conversation. But he'd always be able to look up to the castle upon its perch and know that any moment, she could come for him and take him there. Now that he'd been here, he knew this place, it was no longer strange to him.

'Skye...' Luna sighed. 'You should know that I'd wouldn't force you into something. I guess Iâ€â€ÂI guess I knew before I asked that you would decline. This place is wonderful, truly...but it is no forest."

She pulled an apple from the bowl of fruit and brought it to her, biting into the red crunchy sweetness. She savored the taste as she chewed, picking her next words.

'But you can always come back, whenever you like. The doors of Canterlot Castle are always open to you. I'm sure that Celestia would like to see you around more often...It seems like it's been a long time since you two had a conversation together."

Luna thought about what would happen after Skye left. She might see him, yes...but it would probably be a rare occasion. Things would go back to normalâ€â€Âas normal as they could be. Luna would once again be left alone, without the friendly comfort that Skye brought with him.

But she could always visit the forest. It wasn't all that far, and the forest was rather empty of other ponies. It was a safe haven, much like the castle garden, and yet...outside the walls of Canterlot. Whitetail Wood meant freedom without social obligations, no stares of hate or suspicion... It was a small piece of freedom that Luna could enjoy, one of the few things in life that she could enjoy at all.

"But...I will need to visit you sometime soon. You told me you'd teach me a little magic." Luna remembered the conversation from the night before.

The deer nodded as she remarked, "It's no forest, but it is still beautiful here." he polished off his waffle and began licking the plate. "Nobody's ever brought me waffles before. It's a rare treat." selecting a few crisp grapes for himself, he savored the flavor as each one popped in his mouth with a juicy burst of sweetness, licking his lips clean after each one. "But we don't have the same selection of fruit down there as you do up here, so...maybe next you visit, you might bring some?" he asked hopefully. "I know you'd never force me to stay. But it's different if you ask me...it's always been that way. That's why I stayed there, even after my family left, because she asked me to." he indicated the door vaguely with a hoof, suggesting Celestia somewhere out there in the castle doing her duties. "That only her sister could change it. It's the way of things."

But he hoped Luna would come visit. And frequently. He missed spending time with Celestia, the frequent visits she'd had when she was younger, then tapering off. Though she'd asked him when she was young, it was still a binding request and one he'd kept to even if he meandered a little within the vicinity...Ponyville wasn't technically too far and he could range even as far as the Everfree Forest if he wished to, though he never liked to stay there for long at all. Little Aven was there, and while he watched over her as he could, she was queen of her own domain there, filling her role. While she was with him, Luna was more than just a princess. She was a friend, his friend, and that was important too. And he would enjoy her company very much.

"You may visit me any time. Even while we may take a stroll through the forest, I can teach you what I can. It may take a while, but we have many years to practice. And there's many things to see, too. Grottoes in the hills, thickets with flowers so lovely you'd believe they were planted there on purpose, many things I've never even seen myself." he glanced to her horn, then up to his antlers. "The one thing you will need to do, when you want to learn from me, is to be able to open yourself up. That means your imagination, your trust. It's different with you and your sister, because of your very nature." he paused to take a nibble at another grape, studying her.

"Consider this your first lesson. Lesser creatures have more chaotic minds. But those in between, me, the other ponies of Equestria, even the griffons, exist in a state that allows them to be very suggestible. It has to do with their imagination, and from there, all things come. I'm sure you knew that already, knowing where dreams come, but to control this, requires much focus."

'I have seen very little of the Whitetail Wood. It sounds like it has so much to offer. There is not a lot that changes here at the castle, even in the garden. Naturally, things change with the seasons, but other than that, here things are very routine. It's nice, in it's own way, but it also means that there isn't a large break from the norm, ever."

She listened to Skye give his "lesson", continuing to enjoy her morning apple. When he had finished, she thought for a moment before speaking. "I don't recall ever hearing magic explained quite in that way. But I...I think I get it." she turned it over in her mind, still pondering his words.

There was so much to learn. Luna had forgotten most of what she knew about everything prior to her imprisonment. She'd even lost some of her memories, and only managed to retain a small amount of magical knowledge after the defeat of Nightmare Moon. It was a bit frustrating, having to be separated from the world for a thousand years, and then having to re-learn how to live. Luna really did feel just like a filly, her thousand year old self trapped inside the body of somepony so small. Of course, she had been this small, once...but seemed very long ago, and yet so close.

"What would you like to do for the rest of the day, while you're still here?" Luna asked Skye.

The deer polished off the tea, and nosed around the cup for more and finding none, decided to finish up with another long stretch on the bed before he nosed the cart to the side and climbed out. After a delightful little skip, he spread his wings and flexed them before giving himself a good shake. "It's got a lot of things to offer, all through the year. You have to know where to look for some of them, when you live there. I suppose that's why you ponies started farming. Searching for food naturally takes a lot of time, I bet. I think I'd get bored quite rapidly with no changes, though there's some days when it'd be nice not to have any changes at all."

"I can't say as all magic works that way, just at how this particular thing works, itself. I'd have no idea, for example, how you unicorns are able to make things float around magically. I've seen plenty of them doing that, as if they had invisible hands. I've tried doing it for years, but the best I've ever been able to do is simply imagine it. Not quite the same. You'll get the hang of it in time, though." he smiled to her, then turned to walk out to the balcony, peering out over its ledge at the forest below. Being slightly smaller, he had to place his front hooves on the ledge to look out over it, his tail wiggling comically behind him as he did. "It's such a long way down. How did you ever get this place up here to begin with, I wonder."

He pricked his ears up and turned to dash back inside. "Maybe we could explore the castle a little together. I'd like to see how it stays up here, and maybe see how it was built. I've never seen a castle built on the side of a mountain before, and this place is so big, I'm sure there's all kinds of neat little secrets." Skye certainly seemed much perkier and even excited after spending almost two days sleeping, and this wonderful food!

Luna hopped off the bed herself, following shortly after Skye. She looked out over the balcony, starting at the land of Equestria as it stretched far and wide. Things seemed so much bigger now. There was so much that hadn't been here before. A thousand years had changed the land to something that was unrecognizable to Luna. New cities, new towns, even new forests. Everything had grown and changed...except for Luna.

Luna was pleasantly surprised at Skye's change in demeanor. He was so much friskier than the last couple of days, like he had been in the woods. He was back to his old self once again. Luna knew that he was enjoying his time at the castle, but she had gotten to thinking that he must be getting homesick. The castle was a great place to live, at any rate--but Skye was not used to a place like this. Though he may have liked to visit, it was not what he was used to.

"If you want to go exploring, lead the way! I admit there are several places in Canterlot Castle that I have yet to see since my return. It shall be fun for both of us."

He trotted along the hallway, hooves clicking on the tile floor as he poked his head into this doorway, or that alcove, until they finally came out into the bright sunlight of the main courtyard. Skye's eyes flew open as he looked out over the expanse of green and white and technicolored spires and spiralling pathways. It was almost all too overwhelming, this place was beautiful. All the planning and work that had gone into making this place happen seemed to pare in comparison to its actual magnificence. He was a stranger here, yet nothing about this place seemed unnatural or frightening. It was just awesome. He turned to Luna, his eyes shining. "This place is beautiful. I've only ever seen it from below before, and had no idea it looked anything like this."

Skye fairly danced around Luna in his excitement. He felt like a little fawn again, exploring something new and shiny, though better still since he was able to explore it with a friend. So many years had passed with exploring the Whitetail Wood on his lonesome, it'd taken the better part of years to make progress as slow and cautious as he had to be, but he had none of that to worry about here. Even with the number of ponies that milled about here none of them were staring at him. Though of course, they were polite and deferential in his company of the princess, but it was a heady feeling not being the center of attention. The peryton paused to look over his shoulder at Luna before he started down the stairs. "I do want to see how the castle attaches to the side of the mountain. It doesn't look carved out of it, it's almost like it's perched here and I have -got- to see how this works!"

Though he was a little homesick, the excitement of being in Canterlot was at least for now, able to head off that sense that he needed to be home for the time being. And exploring a new place with Luna was a great way to hold that off even longer. "Come on, I bet it's a long way off, care to stretch your legs?" he reared up and flailed his front hooves towards the courtyard, grinning over his shoulder at the princess with a gleam in his eye.

Luna followed just behind Skye, watching his eyes fill with wonder as he took it all in. To someone from the outside, she supposed it was a bit much. It was still a bit overwhelming even for her, being away for so long without the luxury of it all. Though Skye moved quickly and excitedly around, Luna remained her calm and poised selfâ€â€Âas was fitting for a Princess.

Skye looked back at her, his eyes gleaming as he reared up. It was a challenge, and she knew it. A challenge to race. But not only that, no. Skye had been urging her to break from the norm, from the Princess-y air that she put on. To throw caution to the wind, to not care. To lose herself in the moment...

Her heart beat just a little faster at the thought of it. Of being free. Skye didn't care what anypony thought...and she did. She had toâ€â€Âit was part of being a Princess. But for one dayâ€â€Ânigh, but a few hoursâ€â€Âcouldn't she just throw caution to the wind? Dash everypony and what they would think. Skye was right. It was just one day...just this once...Freedom.

"Alright." Luna said. She felt giddy, yet nervous, at the thought of letting go of herself. She lowered her head, scraping a hoof on the ground, ready.

The peryton bounced a bit in anticipation. He loved to run, through the woods, over the logs and across the paths, bouncing here and there as the wind flew in his face. But it'd been a long time since he had, and this was about as clear a chance to really open up and get those muscles working! After laying in bed for as long as he had, his muscles just -ached- to be used! His body fidgeted with anticipation of the Princess's answer, watching her mull her thoughts over. He noticed the widening of the eyes, the play of her ears as she thought the idea through.

He didn't care who else saw him here. This place was indeed a paradise, for anyone who was lucky enough to stay here. And he'd recieved a personal invitation from the Princess to come whenever he liked. To see its grounds, to race across them, to watch the Sun and Moon rising ceremonies for himself instead of only seeing the effects from a distance. For a moment, he felt like one of the family again.

And then she agreed. She wanted to join him, in the run, and he paused for a moment almost as if he couldn't believe it before, he crouched, wiggling his backside. "Alright, to the far end of the courtyard, then!" he waited for her to get ready, then "3..2...1!" he sang out and bounced down the steps, whooping his delight as his hooves struck the stone with tinkling little clicks, his wings fluttering to keep his balance. "Let it all out, Lunaaa!" he called back to her.

Luna took off with a leaping start, pushing herself off her back hooves. Soon, she was 'flying' across the courtyard, right on Skye's heels. She did not spread her wings, knowing that they would only get in the way and slow her down. They laid close to her body, shut tight against herself.

There were no cares, there was no protocol. There was just Luna, with the wind in her mane and the ground beneath her hooves. Hooves pounding, heart racing. Skye was very fast, with a sort of leaping gait--but Luna's legs were longer, and soon she was just a hair's-breadth behind him. She would have liked to laugh--and indeed, she did smile--but this was now a serious matter, as the end grew ever closer.

They rounded a bend, and Luna nearly lost her footing at the sharpness of the turn. Skye turned back to her, just for a moment, and their eyes met, all fierceness. Luna's eyes glanced up, at where the end of the race should have been. That's when she caught sight of--Celestia!

Her eyes went a little wide, and as Skye began to turn around, she called to him, "Skye, watch out!" Luna tried to slow her pace as well, watching as Skye headed on a collision course.

Skye's laughing sailed over the wind like quickly swooping birds, darting around the ears on their way elsewhere as he dashed past passing ponies. His hooves digging into the ground, the wind whistling through his antlers as he bounced along. It felt so good to run again! So good to have wide-open space to careen over. It was rarely the destination that was as important so much as the journey, and this was definitely a journey he was having the time of his life in. His blood ran hot, his heart racing in his chest, breath coming in rapid pants through his parted lips, this was living! This was what it was all about! Even if he'd never actually ran the Running of the Leaves, he imagined this was how it was. Just him, Luna, the ground beneath, the sky above...this was definitely what it was all about!

He turned back to look to Luna, his eyes catching hers, and he flashed her a laughing grin before turning back to the course ahead just as Luna called out for him to look out. His eyes went wide and he planted all four of his hooves on the ground in his struggle to avoid a collision as they rounded the corner. Suddenly he leapt, his wings spreading wide to catch the air above and a feeble beat followed a moment later as he sailed over the princess, clearing her by several feet before coming back to the ground below. He skidded as his hooves found the pavement once more and he slid several more feet before coming to a stop just inches from the wall that barred the way to empty space. He stared over it for a moment, seeing the swirl of light clouds below, the misty view of the ground and the sheer rock walls that reached up from Equestria below to the skies above.

Then he burst out laughing, his whole body shaking.

One could only imagine the day Celestia was having, several documents to settle upon and so many of her court to talk too as she had fled her entourage briefly to spend some alone time in the courtyard. Giving herself some space to breath as her eyes wandered over the yard leisurely. Peaceful.

Well...she thought it'd be atleast.

All at once, she heard her sister's voice, she turned to see their guest peryton clearing a good few feet over her head despite the fact the mere sight of him heading towards her had her dipping her head slightly so he didn't catch her horn. That would've been a terrible wound to bear. And a further guilt upon her mind.

But thankfully, he cleared over her and she glanced to where he'd landed with a clatter. Her concern obviously reaching the hilt as she trotted towards blue deer creature and blinked down at him before his amusement made a small smile lilt upon her lips.

He was alright. And they were obviously having a good time, which made the ageless mare smile all the more as a soft chuckle tittered from her muzzle.

"Well, it's good to see you on your feet, Skye."

Luna managed to stop a few feet away from where Celestia and Skye now stood. Her breathing came in gasps from the exertion of running. Luna fought to calm herself enough to speak.

"C-C-Celestia! We wereâ€â€Âthat isâ€â€ÂI didn't expectâ€â€Ââ€â€ÂI-I'm sorry!" Luna sat on the ground and dusted herself off. But even after she was finished, she continued to stare down at the ground. Her head hung low, in shame. She was so stupid. She'd let Skye talk her into something despite the nagging of her better judgmentâ€â€Âand now they'd been caught.

Luna was nearly as old as Celestia, and here she was acting like a child. Running about without a care in the world...it simply didn't do for a Princess to be seen like that. And yet, Luna had let her guard down. Just for that moment, for ONE moment...It couldn't hurt anything, right? Yet there was Celestia before them. So stupid.

Skye turned back, his chest heaving from the exhiliration of the run, a broad grin on his face. He trotted back to where Celestia and Luna stood. Boldly, he nuzzled the taller mare, then moved to stand beside Luna and nuzzled her cheek back. Still panting a bit he giggled. "Now there was a run!" he exclaimed, looking back across the courtyard they had dashed across. Looking back up to Celestia with a smile, "Just like old times, only this time no trees in the way!"

"It seems so much further up than it looks from the ground, I wonder how that works!" he started talking a mile a minute. "I wanted to see how the castle stays to the side of the mountain, and I felt that there was no better way to get over to this side than to run. For a moment there, the world fell away, just Luna and I. She's got a good run in her too. By the sun, it felt so good to run, didn't it?" he looked to Luna before his grin faded away, noting her hanging head. "Oh, Luna, what's the matter? No harm done, if I'd gone over the edge, I'd have been okay, I've survived falls from lesser heights easily, I'd just have longer to wait before I found the ground again." for one normally observant, he seemed to miss the reason she seemed to feel ashamed.

He cast Celestia a glance. "Though I am sorry I nearly ran into you, Princess, the heat of the moment got away from me and I wasn't looking where I was going. But I can tell you I most definitely feel much better today. I had a delicious breakfast, and a good stretch of the legs, I should be ready to go home any time, with your permission of course."

Glancing to her sister as she made her frantic appologies, the sun mare couldn't help but smile ever so slightly as turned quietly on her heel and approached the poor filly, so many years passed and she hadn't changed a bit.

Shaking her head softly, she nudged her sister playfully when she was close enough and another soft chuckle gently trilled from the taller female. Her poor sister. She was so terribly worried of acting wrongly infront of her...when infact, the break in monotony did nothing but excite Celestia.

It was certainly a change.

And change from the boredom always cheered the ageless female.

Nuzzling her sister affectionately, there was a reassuring smile on her muzzle.

"Luna, calm yourself, dear sister...it's fine." Came her soft voice, barely a whisper as she smiled to her sibling before glancing to Skye.

Oh dear she remembered.

All those times trying to fly...all those trees. It made the mare blush ever so slightly in light hearted embarassment as she watched the peryton with a small, barely noticable smirk. It vanished quickly however for a delicate smile as she moved to sit beside her sister as she watched the other so light on his feet today.

"It's quite alright, I'm just sorry I had to pause your fun with my interuption."

Luna nearly flinched as Celestia approached, expecting reprimand.

"What were you thinking? Somepony could've been hurt! Luna, that was absolutely reckless! That's not how a future ruler of Equestria should behave! I can't believe how childish and irresponsible you are!"

Luna shied away at Celestia's touch, still expecting the worst.

But none of the words flowing through Luna's mind ever came. Instead, Celestia said that things were...okay?

She wasn't angry, not in the slightest. Luna was slightly bewildered, the opposite effect that she imagined had happened.

She looked up at Celestia, but there was no anger on her face. There was no talk of how a Princess should behave. No scolding about being more careful.

But when Skye talked of leaving, Luna finally looked up. There was almost a sort of pleading in her eyes, even as she smiled up at him.

The deer tilted his head as Celestia comforted her sister, quiet for the moment. He regarded the two quietly, standing perfectly still as the larger one spoke to her younger counterpart. Luna's expression gave everything away, he knew she was still apprehensive. She'd still had some way to go before she was completely settled in. Yet...today was something of a breakthrough. He hadn't missed how she'd had breakfast for him, and he had most definitely noticed how carefree she'd appeared during the run. He knew that somewhere inside her was the playful little filly just aching to get out, but still trapped by the fear of what had happened to so long ago...a thought crossed his mind, was she still afraid of Nightmare Moon? He supposed it was still something that weighed heavily on her mind. And likely Celestia's too, though the larger mare concealed it very well.

He wished he'd been able to sense them as he could other ponies around him, though thankfully he wasn't telepathic. Skye doubted he'd ever wish to be, with all those pony minds around, the cacophony would be unbearable. But just for a moment, he wished he could glimpse inside the minds of these two sisters. Understanding always took time, as did trust. He'd spend enough time with Celestia that he trusted her completely, and he'd spent enough time with Luna to know she was guarded with her trust and that her ordeal had left it visible shaken. As she looked up at her sister, he relaxed. She'd looked at Celestia first, instead of him, maybe she was thinking about what had happened and how it had actually played out.

Then she looked to him. Even though there was a smile on her face, he could tell in her eyes that something still wasn't quite right, and his heart melted a bit. He had to go home, he couldn't stay much longer than he already had...two days in the castle had been wonderful and magical, but he needed to return to his forest. He could stay with her, if she asked him, only that could override the purpose he'd been asked to undertake so long ago. His warm eyes gazed back into hers, all of this taking place in the flash of couple of wingbeats.

"No need to apologize, Princess. I'd merely wanted to see how the castle maintained its perch so high up here, and for so long. I needed the stretch in my legs after sleeping for nearly two days, but now that we're here, I would like to learn how this feat takes place." as he spoke, he moved closer to the pair and took a seat in front of them, though his eyes only left Luna's for a moment to glance at her older sister as he spoke, before returning to hers afterwards. Would she come to him when she needed him? Day or night? Would she remember how to find him? His connection to Luna tugged at him stronger than ever, and he found himself torn between his duty and responsibility, and breaking his promise to Celestia so long ago.

It was uncanny how both sisters had found him in almost the same way. He thought back, those many years, how he'd encountered a much younger Celestia in the wood. They were reckless then, tearing through the forest, dashing over logs and around trees, and he'd nearly run into a fallen one as he'd turned back to blow the princess a raspberry before she narrowly avoided the same tree. They'd had a great laugh then, the exhilaration racing through their veins, two rapidly beating hearts shareing the same moment. He'd loved Celestia then, but differently than he loved Luna now. It was that love that allowed him to be bound to her request to stay in the wood, watching over others that would come through and guide them. All that had been many years ago and yet he still held to that promise.

But he had to return home unless asked to otherwise. He waited to learn the secret of the castle's perch politely, though, he would treasure this knowledge greatly.

When her sister looked up at her, she simply offered a soft nuzzle on the smaller mare's cheek once more before her attention was brought back to Skye as he approached them both. If he court or advisors had been here, no doubt they'd have chided Luna on the improperness of such actions but...there was no need to chide on one for being joyful.

Was there?

The life of a princess was sometimes so dull and drab and monotonous...so a break in that was like a breath of fresh air.

She just wished her sister saw that...

Yes the fear of her...turning again was there...but...she doubted she'd have the strength in her heart to...to do that again.

The sadness flickered, only briefly, the fear of losing her sister there and...still fresh like a scar on her heart...but she wouldn't let it impede upon the happiness they had here at the moment.

The castle?

Her head tilted as she looked over the castle, her home now for so long now that she'd almost forgotten how much effort it had taken to make it. How much work. The mountain sculpting, the delicate balance of everything...

"My it took so long...I think we had to flatten certain parts of the mountain...not all of it but deffinately certain parts to make sure that the castle wouldn't topple..."

The deer had stood and walked over to a parapet, angling his head over to look down. "Just flattened? I'd thought it was maybe held by magic or something. It looks all so graceful and airy from down below, with the clouds beneath it and around it, it's so beautiful, I'm so glad I finally got to see it up close."

He put a hoof on the wall and leaned down over it, wiggling his tail as he peered over it. "It's such a long ways down, you'd have to have wings or something to get up here. Or those balloons I've seen. It's a wonder, that's what it is." He dropped back onto all fours and moved back towards the princesses. He took a liberty and nuzzled at Luna's cheek lightly with his lips. "I won't be far, Princess, and you know where to find me, but I have to go." he looked up to Celestia. "Thank you for allowing me to be here, this is the greatest thing I could have wished for and now my wish has come true."

Skye moved back towards the wall and braced his hooves on it before leaping up onto it. He turned for a moment and cast the princesses a smile. "You two were meant to rule together, I've always known that. Never forget that, and always remember that as bad as things seem, there's always better. And now, my Princesses," he dipped his head and foreleg into a bow. "This must be farewell, but never goodbye." and with that, he leaped over the wall and into the space below, his wings flaring to catch the breeze as he disappeared out of sight.