My Little Pony on Cartoon Network? Adult Swim?

Hippo

Who thinks syndication is imminent My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? I do. And every day I'm seeing more information that leads me to believe that Cartoon Network's Adult Swim will attempt to pull in MLPFiM for its mysterious popularity with the older demographic, especially males 18-35. Here are the things I have found:

HASBRO has made a a deal with Turner Broadcasting

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101213005441/en/Hasbro-Studios-Turner-Broadcasting-Seal-Deal-%E2%80%98Transformers

As the link says, My Little Pony, is one of a few HASBRO cartoons that will be aired on Cartoon Network in certain countries. The United States is not listed, and I have been unable to find out why. But this article shows the cooperation these two companies have to create a win-win situation.

Lauren Faust has previous experience working with cartoons that have aired on Cartoon Network, primarily with Hanna-Barbara

Lauren Faust's involvement in The Power Puff Girls, Codename: Kid's Next Door, and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends are all examples of successful cartoons that have already aired on Cartoon Network with her hand in the work. Not only so, but her minor involvements in other successful shows like Dexter's Laboratory suggest that her talent is highly appreciated when Cartoon Network was at it's peak of viewership. Later on, when Adult Swim gained more popularity, several old Hanna-Barbara cartoons were 're-created' to create more mature spoof shows. Some of these include Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2020, and Space Ghost. I'm pretty sure Warner Brothers, who absorbed Hanna-Barbara in 2001, would like to have her back.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic shares similar demographics with typical Adult Swim programming

In the past, it has become the normal for Adult Swim to get their hands on an old show that is fitting for their demographic, which is mostly 18-35 males. Non-original shows that Adult Swim syndicated onto their program schedule include: The PJ's, King of the Hill, Baby Blues, The Office (British version), The Super Globetrotters, Karate Kommados, The Gary Coleman Show, and Saved By the Bell. Adult Swim loves to cater to their demographic's nostalgia. And even if My Little Pony was a little out-of-taste for Adult Swim, there is a good reason why they would air cute ponies on their station...

The Adult Swim people are on crack

Adult Swim is known for its airing antics and unusual style of promotion, given that their primary viewer probably appreciates it. An example of this is in March of 2007, the network advertised their Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie was to air on Adult Swim on April 1, 2007. They didn't lie. The actual airing put the whole movie in a tiny box in the corner of the screen with no sound, while a Family Guy marathon took it's place at full screen. They're on-air explanation of why they did this was, "because we're ****ing crazy." Other examples include released episodes of their original show "Perfect Hair Forever" on VHS and re-aired the episodes on TV where all the characters had drawn-on mustaches. One time, Adult Swim also aired the entire movie, "The Room" for no other reason other than the fact that it was criticized as being one of the worst movies ever.

Seth Green 'likes' My Little Pony

Before My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic premiered, Seth Green, actor, voice actor, and producer, made a My Little Pony spoof on his original show Robot Chicken that aired on Adult Swim on May of 2006.

http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/apocalypse-pony.html

In September of 2010, Seth Green twittered:

"Meeting Hasbro next week! Want Apocalypse Ponies toys? Help me trend #ApocalypsePonies !!"

A petition was in place to get support from viewers for this insane request. I can only imagine that HASBRO rejected it with little consideration. However, a petition from Adult Swim-type viewers before the airing of Friendship is Magic combined with the increasingly popularity of the show from adult males after the show was aired creates an interesting (and coincidental) statistic for HASBRO to look at.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=821&filename=nhbh.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

However, it is worth noting that Seth Green's approach isn't all bad. People Magazine had an article on Seth Green's wedding in May 2010:

"One detail both focused on was catering party favors to the individual guest. "We both like toys, so the centerpiece for each of the tables were different collections of toys that were takeaways," Green says of various action figures – think G.I. Joe – that waited for guests.

"My mom got the Care Bears," Grant says, "because she used to call me Clare Bear, and another good friend of ours had a pony collection so we made sure she got the My Little Pony table."

So what do you guys think. I know it could still be considered a long shot, but I like to entertain the possibilities.

I'd like if it was on adult swim if it doesn't get altered to be...er....well, vulgar? Is that the word I'm looking for? I don't watch Adult Swim all that much, because frankly, to enjoy some of those shows, I assume you need to be drunk or high--neither of which are things I participate in doing. I just don't like the type of shows that Adult Swim airs, and I don't want CN to ruin MLP: FiM.

"My Little Pony, is one of a few HASBRO cartoons that will be aired on Cartoon Network in certain countries."

Got excited while reading this, omg I do so hope it comes in my country with their cute spanish voices, also a reason to go back and watch TV again.

I don't really watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network these days because... well... I feel that most of their programming is trash. D= I'm sorry! I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I know that a lot of people my own age watch both channels, and I will admit that there are a few quality shows (like Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends).

If FiM is brought to Cartoon Network though, I hope that it airs alongside normal network programming and isn't brought on as a part of Adult Swim specifically. As someone else mentioned, some of the shows in the Adult Swim lineup are somewhat vulgar. I'd rather not see MLP sharing a lineup with shows like that, because it could actually damage the image of the show. I'm an adult and I'm happy that other adults enjoy the humor and writing behind the show as much as I do. But the intended audience is still children, and any network picking up the rights for the show shouldn't cut out that demographic or put the show in a lineup that could expose them to adult programming. The spirit of the show (it being feel-good children's programming) is part of what makes it endearing, too.

I'm actually crossing my fingers that this deal between Hasbro and Turner just relates to Transformers Prime.

I don't really watch Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network these days because... well... I feel that most of their programming is trash. D= I'm sorry! I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I know that a lot of people my own age watch both channels, and I will admit that there are a few quality shows (like Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends).

I don't even have cable, so I don't get to watch a whole lot of television. But you're right. A lot of the new stuff that has come out is really dumb and mindless. That's why I like MLP: FiM. It's a fresh break from the stupid, and it also brings back nostalgia because I watched original MLP. I think that part of what draw people to FiM is that it's like what cartoons used to be.

I'm pretty sure that The Hub has an existing agreement with Hasbro. As far as I can tell, The Hub seems to only broadcast within the United States. Thus, it would make sense for Hasbro to make another agreement with a network that broadcasts internationally. Also, according to Lauren the show is "doing well" ratings-wise on The Hub. I can't see how The Hub would even be remotely interested in dropping a popular show. So basically I'm guessing The Hub would keep broadcasting MLP:FiM, and CN would broadcast it everywhere else.

Should it broadcast on Cartoon Network (internationally), I don't think it will be showing on Adult Swim. Even though it seems there are plenty of adults who watch the show, it's important to remember that the primary demographic doesn't really use the Internet (or isn't allowed to anyway). I can imagine this show is really fun to watch for young kids, too! (I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a LOT of MLP-inspired art styles from very young artists in the next several years..) I think putting it on Adult Swim would send a lot of negative messages about the show as well. Lastly, even though adults do watch the show, I don't know how large of an audience we are. We're quite vocal about it, certainly, but I don't know many people are actually into it.

Lauren Faust has also stated that toy sales is typically not terribly strong among adult collectors--at least, not nearly enough to support a large toy company like Hasbro. Considering Hasbro's primary goal is to sell a lot of toys, I think putting it on Adult Swim would almost certainly hurt the show sales-wise, too. Poor sales of the MLP:FiM toys would very likely help contribute to killing the show, I'd wager.

adultcollectors.png

I also really, really, REALLY don't want Hasbro to change MLP:FiM so that it appeals to an adult audience. In my honest opinion, changing the show would completely ruin the feel of it. I like it just as it is.

Incidentally, when writing Hasbro for anything, I do mention how the show has a great story, awesome characters, and how it has a universal appeal to people of all ages. Kids and adults of all ages find a lot to love in the show. It's a great show that a family can enjoy together! I try to avoid bias in saying "adult men" because that's unfair to the adult women who also love the show. (HI ASHI!) I also really DO think it sends a very powerful and very positive message to young girls. The world NEEDS more shows like this!

Just so everyone knows, HASBRO owns 50% of The HUB, which was renamed from Discovery Kids during the acquisation.

And I understand the uncomfortable surroundings MLPFiM would have if it was on Adult Swim. Even though I shared these articles, I do not necessarily want it on Adult Swim. It was just something I observed when I saw these articles collectively.

I really hope that Cartoon Network eventually airs MLPFiM in the states. The International agreement makes sense if HASBRO has no network overseas. However, even with as bad as the latest CN programming has been, Cartoon Network is really good at promoting their shows.

I think the best thing would be for The HUB's ratings to be so overwhelming, that cable and satillite companies begin listing them in common programming. They're a long way from that, though.

Cartoon Network in America has, by large, completely different content than "Cartoon Network" does in other countries. For instance a show I watched, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, was broadcast in America on 4kids. Overseas it was shown on Cartoon Network.

It's funny how in the country the property was developed for, KRDK died a death so miserable the last couple of episodes weren't even AIRED on TV; but overseas in the CN markets (and in Japan where it was broadcast on Toei's satellite-only channel) the program not only thrived but also saw DVD releases.

I suspect that's exactly the case here. Just because Seth Green likes the show doesn't mean he'll magically get it moved between networks -- especially when MLP:FiM is The Hub's #1 show. The companies involved in running that channel would be insane to strike a deal to profit-share with Cartoon Network of America.

If FiM is shown on Cartoon Show, it will of course is in addition to the Hub and likely receive the episodes a week later (much like Adult Swim has new Family Guy and American Dad a week after they air on Fox). However, if it happens, it will be during the normal daytime hours with the other kid focused shows and not on Adult Swim.

Adult Swim is for shows specifically designed for adult audiences, with a focus on surreal, dirty, and absurdist humor, and FiM, despite its huge adult fanbase, does not fall into that sort of programming. Hasbro views FiM as a show for young girls and for selling toys to that same demographic. As Tremaine pointed out above, adult toy collectors are just a niche market and not large enough for companies like Hasbro to refocus from the much larger current target audience. Because of these reasons, Hasbro will want to avoid Adult Swim because it may only hurt the brand and not help it in any significant manner.