Klondike

Chonico

[ Pony Related Character ]

Name: Klondike ('K' for short)

Species: Pony

Pelt Color: Somewhat dark blue

Mane/Tail Color & Style: Mane and tail are a light icy blue color and are seldom well kept. Unless he has something official or important to take care of, how he wakes up is good enough.

Eye Color: Green

Cutie Mark: A wrench and hammer across a horse shoe.

Physique: Somewhat of a strong built, he mainly has a big frame. His right ear has a little piece missing.

Residence: Freshly moved into Ponyville from Hoofington.

Occupation: He is a rather skilled and self-taught handyman (hoofy-man?) that will tackle any job, even if he has to learn while doing it.

The Jingling Satchel Repair shop - Klondike's repair shop will be located in Ponyville near the general market place. The shop will have been funded by another character of mine, Nimbus Clayton, after Klondike helps him repair his kilns. At the shop, Klondike will fix anything from loose buttons to broken carriages for the adequate amount of bits. If he is faced with a job he does not know, his bookcase is filled with 'how to books' as well as reference notes from previous jobs he's done. The shop itself though will be of adequate size as far as repair shops go, fitted with a counter in the middle that separates the front foyer where customers will come in to drop off their items in need of repair, get an estimate of cost and time, and pick-up their ticket if they need to come back the next day to pick-up their item. There will be benches to sit on and magazines for customers to read if their repairs are simple enough for them to wait in the foyer and they are more than welcome to remain at the counter and observe Klondike do his repairs. The part behind the counter though will be the actual workspace, his 'L' shaped worktable being set right against the counter on the far left side of the shop with the adjacent wall covered in hanging tools. The only way to walk from the foyer to the work space is through a small 'gate' at the right end of the counter which is next to a door that leads outside to a small path that leads to the back part of the repair shop. The back part of the repair shop will be the outside workspace, were Klondike keeps the jobs that are too big to keep inside the shop, such as carriages.

Motivation: His curiosity in how things work, taking them apart and fixing them if need be, has led him to want to open a general repair shop that will fix anything from torn buttons to carriages and beyond. For an adequate amount of bits that is.

Likes: Tinkering, reading, whistling and music, apple pies, warm weather.

Dislikes: Cold weather, being called a plumber.

Character Summary::

Klondike is a very down to earth pony that may sometimes come off as quiet and uninterested in what somepony else have to say. This is mainly the result of him getting easily engrossed in his work. If music is playing while he's working, he pretty much becomes a lost cause, off in his own little world. His intentions aren't bad though, and he tries to not get lost in his work. He just feels that if there's a task at hoof, then it should be done right and quick. He actually enjoys listening to other ponies talk about themselves and can be quite friendly given the chance.

He enjoys very simple things like sitting outside on warm sunny days and walking around town to stretch his legs. Although he won't admit it to anypony, he walks around town hoping to find somepony that needs something repaired or help of some sort in hopes of showing off his talents and establishing a customer base. Content with doing anything that keeps his hoofs busy, he has picked up a vast majority of hobbies and skills through doing a vast majority of odd jobs and repairs. He will try his hoof at anything if it means a chance to help somepony and learn something new while doing it. Although his aim is to establish a general repair shop business, he has been known to do free jobs for his friends, and pretty mares alike, if he feels a simple fix or repair will help them help themselves in the end.

Yet, Klondike was not always so apt at fixing things, or for that matter, very helpful. As a young foal, Klondike was always curious about everything around him. If he could get his hoofs on it for a one on one was even better. Things that went 'click' or 'buzz,' and even things that just sat there motionless serving some yet unknown purpose and function always called out to him to investigate. Unfortunately, his curiosity as a young foal always ended up with dismantled things scattered across the floor, never to work again, and his parents desperately trying to hide tools or anything that could be used as a tool.

One faithful day, while walking home from visiting his friends on the other side of town, the young colt came across a family, that looked rather miserable and worried as they stood next to a broken down cart on the road. Being the curious colt he was, he stopped by to take a quick look and was quickly caught off guard by the shiniest set of tools he'd ever seen. Having recently 'lost' his last stash of tools, he couldn't help but admire them and wonder just what for some of the unfamiliar tools were used for. As he stood there admiring the tools, he quickly noticed that the family by the cart was looking at him oddly.

Feeling somewhat silly for being caught wide eyed like that, he sheepishly asked what was wrong. The filly in the family stood aside to show him the busted up wooden wheel on the cart that had forced them to stop. As he looked at the busted up wheel, much to his surprise, ideas began to bubble in his head and he immediately recalled an event two weeks prior when he dismantled the wheels on his father's cart to see how they were put together. With a twinkle in his eye, he rushed over to the wheel and began dismantling it and with pieces of wood he found nearby he put it back together creating the shoddiest wheel he ever did see and latched it onto the cart.

Silence was all he heard as he stood there smiling at his own work. The family couldn't believe what he had just done, the father especially. The only words that came out of the old gray stallion's mouth were 'What did you... do?' And like that, Klondike was off to a gallop towards home as fast as he could. If his family gave him hell for what he did to the family cart, what would this family do to him!? He made it home in record time, hoping the old stallion hadn't followed him, and hid in his room.

Two days passed and he had hardly left the house for fear of running into that family again. As he sat down for breakfast that morning, he couldn't help how silly he was starting to feel. If they hadn't come by then, maybe they weren't coming at all. He felt he could finally relax and enjoy a day of fun. As his shoulders began to relax, time seemed to suddenly freeze as he heard the doorbell and his father walking to the door. It was the old stallion from the other day. He had to work hard not to choke on the mouthful of hay he had just stuffed to celebrate his freedom and, between gags and coughs, all he heard was his father calling him over. As he walked, trying hard to swallow that last bit of celebratory hay that had turned into his last meal, he did not dare look at the old gray stallion's face, only his feet and his father's feet standing next to him. They were talking about him, that's all he knew as he approached the doorway hearing the thundering of his heart in his ears. They suddenly stopped; he could walk no further without putting himself at hoof's reach of the old gray stallion. And just like that, out of nowhere, he heard some loud metallic rattling and all he could do to stop from begging for mercy was close his eyes and drop to his knees swearing he'd never try and fix anything again.

Laughter was all he heard next. The two stallions were laughing so hard, tears streamed down their checks. He opened his eye and all he saw before him was a small satchel with shinning metal tools sticking out. He looked up at the two stallions, confused and concerned as to what was going on. The old gray stallion began to explain that they had been on their way to sell their cartload of goods at a small town west of Hoofington when their rented cart hit a rock and lost its wheel. They were really in a pickle because if they didn't get to that small town and sell their goods that day, their buyer was going to look elsewhere. It was the only means of income they had and loosing that buyer would spell disaster for them. If he hadn't stopped by when he did and fixed the wheel, well, they didn't know what they would have done.

Klondike just stood there listening and as soon as he realized he wasn't in trouble, he couldn't help but smile. The shoddy wheel, although it made for a horribly bumpy ride, had held the whole trip, back and forth. They had just dropped off the cart in town when they decided to ask around for a young colt that knew how to fix things. The old gray stallion admitted to being confused when all he heard was how there was this one young colt that kept destroying things rather than fixing things. But, as far as he was concerned, Klondike had done right by him.

Klondike simply smiled and admitted that that stories were true. That wheel had been the first thing he had ever managed to put back together. He was proud of his work, of his shoddy wheel, and above all, he was glad he had helped the family get through such a pickle. It was at that point, with a big smile on his face, that Klondike decided silently to himself that he wanted to fix things and help people when he could. And, as he stood there smiling, the old gray stallion put a hoof on his shoulder and asked him to take the tools, the same tools he had admired two days ago, as a gift in hopes that they would help him achieve his dream. He looked at his father and after getting as somewhat hesitant nod from him, grabbed the satchel of tools in his mouth and thanked the old gray stallion, promising to take care of those tools for ever. The old gray stallion simply smiled and thanked Klondike again as he excused himself out the door and out to his family outside.

That day, Klondike realized what he wanted to do, and as he went up the stairs to put his lovely satchel of new tools away, he didn't realize that he was brandishing something new on his haunch.

Klondikegen21-1.png

The Jingling Satchel Repair Shop Floor Plans

TheJinglingSatchelRepairShop.png

Thank you! I hope it wasn't too long of a read.

I've been working on the image using the free templates provided in the "Getting Started" section of the forum. I have to admit, every time I try something on MS Paint, I can't help but admire the talents (and slightly envy) of those who know how to draw. Speaking of which, could somepony suggest a good free site for me to put the image so that I can link it to the character?

Thank you! I hope it wasn't too long of a read.

I've been working on the image using the free templates provided in the "Getting Started" section of the forum. I have to admit, every time I try something on MS Paint, I can't help but admire the talents (and slightly envy) of those who know how to draw. Speaking of which, could somepony suggest a good free site for me to put the image so that I can link it to the character?

You can actually upload it to this site. When you go to write (or edit) a comment, look below this text box. There are a couple of tabs, one says Options, and one says Upload attachment. Click the second tab, and it'll let you browse for it. Then you can stick it in the comment.

Umm, I only see the options tab and the little boxes with "Disable BBCode" and such. Don't see an upload tab anywhere. Could it be something in my settings or is it maybe because I'm relatively new to the forums and that option hasn't opened up yet? Kind of like the posting outside of the Introduction section.