[Ponyville] Class Is In Session (Open to Ponyville Fillies and Colts)

SteelEagle

7?! She only knew of four... She had to pay better attention. Then again, she hadn't actually read the Merry Trotter books. Maybe she should. Maybe she can learn about magic!

But now it was her turn! Since she didn't know diddly about magic, she had to push the box with her face, dragging it over to the front of the class. After shaking off the fringe in her mane from the short burst of manual labor, she put on the most adorable, excited grin she could muster. Any more effort on her part, and the universe would be torn apart!

[colour=#ee82ee]"My book report is on a book my mum said she was going to give to me when I was a bit older. It's called 'Silly Filly'! A book about growing up! Some of it was kinda scary, but this one section was really really neat, and that's what I did my report on! COOTIES!"[/colour]

She'd let the chaos ensue as she started digging through that box. She pulled out a bug-looking thing she made out of wire washers and googly-eyes, putting it on Cheerilee's desk and going [colour=#ee82ee]'Bleh!'[/colour] as if that was the fictitious creature's natural call. [colour=#ee82ee]"After reading about it, I went all around Ponyville and asked all kinds of ponies what cooties were! I got a lot of... interesting answers... I first talked to Rarity:"[/colour]

]"Well, cooties are a dreadful thing carried by the unclean. They cling to the hooves of the unwashed mass, waiting to latch ever so mercilessly onto any so unfortunate as to come into contact with their filthy hooves and leave those exposed reeling from the indignation they must suffer."[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"She thought it was some kind of... dirty demon thing, I think... Then I talked to Rainbow Dash!"[/colour]

"[colour=#40e0d0]"Cooties?! Aw, man. That's a tricky one. See, it's like getting sick ... it makes your stomach all fluttery, and you break out in a sweat, and your tongue starts stumbling when you try to talk, and your heart seems to be beating really fast... but after a while, you build up a sorta immunity, except instead of just not being affected, it starts feelin' kinda nice. The big secret is that big fillies and colts, and older mares and stallions, try to get cooties from each other!"[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"What she said sounded kinda close to what the book was trying to say... But I wanted to be sure, so I went to a pony who's real good with animals! I talked to Fluttershy:"[/colour]

[colour=#ffd700]"Cooties? I-I don't think cooties are real..."[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"She said they aren't real, which made me want to ask even more ponies! I found Zecora while she was in town and asked her..."[/colour]

"They are little things that colts have, I have never gotten them but I hear they are bad"

[colour=#ee82ee]"She also said they were bad news, like Rarity! Then I talked to Lyra and BonBon at the park..."[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"Umm, I don't know, Pinchy. I don't think cooties are a real thing. Or at least... I didn't. Now you've got me wondering. Hey, Bon Bon! Are cooties a real thing?"[/colour]
[colour=#dda0dd] "Cooties are... some kinda special chocolate treat. Ooor it could be what Steam Engine gave me when we were foals..."[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"I don't think they really knew... But then I ran into Pinkie Pie!"[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"Cooties huh? Those are like tickles, right? Like coochie-coochie-coo?!"[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"She tickled me... Before I went home I asked Mr. Rich!"[/colour]

"[colour=#daa520]"Ha ha ha; when I was your age, I used to think that catching cooties from fillies was the most dreadful thing in the world. But then I grew up and I met my special somepony... and I realized that “catching cooties” can actually be one of the best things that’s ever happened to you.

If you do happen to get a case of the... cooties, have your parents come down to Rich’s Barnyard Bargains. We sell all kinds of materials that you can use to make your future special somepony a gift that they’ll never forget!"[/colour]

[colour=#ee82ee]"I think he was trying to sell me something..."[/colour]

After a moment of reflection, she beamed again. [colour=#ee82ee]"BUT, it turns out cooties really aren't real! Or, not as we know them!"[/colour] She dug into her box again, coming out in an olive doughboy helmet that was WAY too big for her, hiding most of her face as she sat down. [colour=#ee82ee]"The term 'cooties' was actually made up by soldiers a loooong time ago! It was a word they used for different bugs and mice and stuff that would be running around while they were out in the field!"[/colour] The helmet soon slipped forward with a soft 'clunk', making the filly giggle as she took it off. She then sat in it like a big bowl, continuing. [colour=#ee82ee]"But since then the term has been used for all kinds of things! Lice, fleas... More commonly today, it's the butterflies in your stomach! But that's not the real meaning, or the symbolism behind them!"[/colour]

She gets up out of her bowl-helmet-chair thing and stands with an intelligent air. [colour=#ee82ee]"Cooties, in reality, are the metaphysical manifestation of the fear of social backlash resulting from association with the opposite gender during foalhood. No disease, no insects. Just foalhood superstition that we eventually outgrow!"[/colour]

She then turned to look at Cheerilee, grinning again with a *squee*.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweetie Belle did her best to sit up straight and not look scared as book report after book report was given. She rubbed at her band-aid several times, but she was worried that it might be running out of placebiotics! Her stomach was all fluttery and everything!

She was going to ask a question about Merry Trotter, and even started raising her hoof, but then Snips went and asked her question first! She shrunk back, trying not to be noticed, as she listened to Pinchy begin her book report.

It didn't take long for her attention to be completely claimed by the presentation. Her eyes opened wide as Pinchy went through the different explanations ... what if Nursery Rhyme had mis-diagnosed her? What if she'd gotten cooties from dirty hooves?! Oh, Rarity would be SO disappointed by her! Her stomach churned, despite the rubbing at the band-aid! If adults thought cooties were OK, but they were dangerous to foals, what if the only cure was getting a cutie mark?! What would she do then? She'd already TRIED everything to get a cutie mark and she STILL didn't have one!

She blinked in surprise as the band-aid came off from desperate rubbing, suddenly stuck on her hoof. She shook her hoof frantically, trying to get it to release, wriggling it first under her desk, then to the side, then above her, where it finally released. She blinked, then, staring up at the front of the class, where she'd just been called on. Why was she called on? Why was everyone waiting for her to talk? She hadn't raised her hoof -

Oh.

The band-aid floated down and attached itself to the base of her muzzle, right under her eyes.

*sigh*

Wait... what was that last thing Pinchy had said? She ran through it in her mind quickly.

Oh! That made so much sense. She didn't have cooties, after all! *WHEW* Her stomach calmed immediately as she let out a sigh of relief. Or maybe that was the band-aid, releasing new placebiotics into her nervous-stream. Except now everyone was expecting a question.

Sweetie Belle had always tried to tone down her vocabulary ever since Scootaloo had teased her ... her secret favorite book that she'd never admit to anypony - the dictionary - read long nights under the covers with a glowbug lantern... even when she'd gotten the chance to use a fancy word, she often got so nervous she mangled it! But if Pinchy was using those sorts of words, well, then it must be OK! And it sounded very similar to something she'd read in one of Rarity's and Twilight's old fillyhood schoolbooks from when they'd been learning how to use magi - and Sweetie had been sneaking peeks at them, too, in the hopes that they'd help HER do magic!

Finally breaking the expectant silence, Sweetie Belle spoke up.

[colour=#800080]"Oh, oh! But magic is essentially a metaphysical concept and symbolic element grounded out into physical display! While the most common conduit is the alicorn - which is to say, the unicorn's horn, not the royal bloodline - which is the conscious focuser of conscious etheric shaping, there are a number of natural features in the etheric landscape which create a natural shunt for metaphysical symbolism to manifest in the physical plane! If cooties have a metaphysical manifestation, then isn't it possible that they do, indeed, have a physical and very real manifestation?"[/colour]

Ooo! A question! When Sweetie Belle (Smarty Belle?) spoke up, the little pink foal took her attention off her teacher and smiled at her classmate. She had seen her waving her hoof before, but it didn't really register that she might've had a question until just now. Silly Pinchy.

Sweetie Belle was notorious for having an extended command of pony vocabulary, though Pinchy was a smart pone. She understood what she was asking, or at least got the jist of it. She left her spot from the front of the classroom and decided to integrate with her fellow students once more, standing by Sweetie Belle's desk and responded thusly:

[colour=#ee82ee]"An excellent question! According to the book, cooties did once have a very real physical form, such as bugs and such that would infest military personnel. But since then, the term has acquired some diversification! It's become more metaphysical as it's been adopted by the commonpony as a term for affection, but... you could say it's both, since it exists as a metaphysical concept, but has a very real effect on our emotions!"[/colour]

Yay! They were speaking in smart!

Sweetie Belle smiled happily as Pinchy responded to her question very seriously, and in similar terms! What a relief, she'd feared it might have sounded like a stupid question!

[colour=#800080]"Oh, of course! And thus the model you displayed during your presentation! But then that means you'd actually be able to see the physical manifestation, so it couldn't create the emotional impact that you're describing without somepony diagnosing the infestation!"[/colour]

She peered past Pinchy and up at the model of the cootie bug on Miss Cheerilee's desk.

[colour=#800080]"Eeeee! Ohmigosh, and It's such a *CUTE* bug, too!"[/colour] she squeeled, her voice cracking on the adjective, then she clopped her hooves together with Pinchy's while the two little fillies collapsed into a fit of delighted giggles.

(( OK'd with Magi first ))

8nMQp.png

Merry Trotter. Sure, the filly had heard about the famous book series, but as a work of fiction, she didn't really care for it. And surely, she wouldn't start reading a series of seven books before she hadn't memorized every medical book in existance. That would have to take priority, she had decided when she had received her cutie mark.

Nursery was mesmerized by Pinchy's report. How come she had never heard about those contagious creatures called "cooties"? And what was that? It was something that colts have? She shuddered, and leaned away from the colts sitting nearest to her. Better be safe then sorry. She couldn't allow any kind of infection, otherwise they wouldn't let her volunteer in the hospital, and if she couldn't volunteer, she would never become a nurse, she was sure of that. Even though in reality, she had had colds in the past and only had to pause for a week or two before being allowed back into the clinic. But in her head, a potential infection was just so much more scary then a past, real one.

She actively had to suppress a high-pitched squeal, twice, before Ruby Pinch finally reached the part where it actually turned out that cooties weren't a real thing, and she noticeably relaxed. No danger of infection after all. Never mind that she had spend years in the company of colts and fillies without ever catching that elusive bug. But logical thinking wasn't always a given when faced with potential danger, and she was just happy that her health was, in fact, not in danger.

Nursery did notice that Sweetie Belle seemed far less nervous now. In fact, she seemed really confident, and the nurse-to-be was happy to see that her little trick had worked. Good thing, too. It was probably her turn soon.

Guiding Light, satisfied that his report was done, felt free to just sit back and listen to the rest of the class reports. Pinchy was next to go but strangely hers wasn't about a story. Instead it was about a report on something called a cootie. The colt heard about it before, remembering back to when many of the filllies he knew would run away from him claiming that he would give them cooties. This made him think something was truly wronf with him until told differently by his parents. It appeared that some still adopted that idea as Nursery Rhyme moved away from him.

[colour=#DAA520]"Um... Nrusery? Whay are you looking at me like that? I don't have the cooties."[/colour]

Suddenly a flood of words came forth from Pinchy about how cooties were real but now associated with emotions. It was as if the filly at the head of the class was talking like adults did. Even stranger Sweetie Belle started talking smart as well. Now Light never considered the two not smart, but to hear them converse like that took him by surpsise.

[colour=#DAA520]"Maybe talking smart is contagious like a cold," [/colour]Light thought as the two broke down into fits of laughter.

Then he raised his hand and spoke.

[colour=#DAA520]"So Pinchy. If the cootie bug is just a physical representation of an emotional response, we can postulate that other responses can be giving physical symbology. take for example a heart which is appropriate for the holiday off Hearts and Hooves which will be fast approaching. While the heart is an organ that delivers blood to the rest of the body through the cardiovascular system, it has also been transferred into the place from which love and emotions asrise from. Therefore, when we give our cards with hearts and decorate out houses, we are not giving our physical life giving organ to others but we are stating that we are sharing tohe place of our love with others. Do you concur?"[/colour]

Suddenly Giding light's eyes went wide after speaking.

[colour=#DAA520]"Oh no! The smart talking is contagious!" [/colour]

Her attention was directed to Guiding Light, who seemed to catch the fillies' smart! She grinned once the shared gigglefit between her and Sweetie was over, and gladly answered his question.

[colour=#ee82ee]"Affirmative! In fact, we can impute all sorts of physical attributes to emotional symbolism! Per contra, I did not inquist about that subject matter among the general populace, but I can always proceed with that following the conclusion of this gathering!"[/colour]

Pinchy was going to shortcircuit if she kept this up... In fact she seemed pretty burnt-out from all these words she probably didn't really understand. She returned to the front of the class, at first seeming about to pack up the things she brought while the class had an opportunity to ask more questions... But instead she sat in the helmet again and used her tail to spin herself around. [colour=#ee82ee]"Wee!"[/colour]

When Ruby Pinch got up to do her report, Snips wasn't expecting much. He was completely taken off guard when her report shifted from some book he'd never heard of, to cooties. Rumors always flowed among the colts how you could catch cooties from fillies, but nopony ever talked about what cooties actually meant. Pinchy really seemed to have done her research, and had talked to many ponies around town, even Rainbow Dash!

Near the end of her report, though, Snips started getting confused. Ruby Pinch said something about soldier ponies making up cooties, but then launched into an explanation he didn't quite follow. Then, Sweetiebelle asked a question that was even more confusing! And Guiding Light did it too!. Snips held his head, trying to comprehend the rapid fire exchange of words.

Finally, as Pinchy started spinning in her helmet, Snips spoke up. "Can somepony explain this in Equestrian?" he complained. "Do cooties exist or not?!"

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Listening to Sweetie Belle and Ruby Pinch have a small attack of the smarts was a bit surprising. It wasn't that she thought they were dumb or anything- quite the opposite, she knew that both of them were smart. Heck, she supposed everypony in the class aside from herself had their own special area of expertise(with the exception of herself), and it just made sense that two silly unicorns(and Guiding Light, a not so silly version) would know a bit about unicorn things. And Pinchy wasn't a dumby anyway, though the sheer assault of adorable on other ponies' senses could cause you to miss out. Sadly, Snips was left in the dust by all the smart talking happening, which didn't surprise Apple Bloom one bit.

[colour=#ff0000]"No, thar ain't any cooties. It's a silly little belief that persisted from tha times when soldiers used-ta march about and got bugs on them, and such and got sick. Then a buncha silly fillies took those old stories and made it 'bout colts and thar ya go. I mean, where'd you think foals come from?"[/colour]

Haywire watched the conversation taking place in class with great delight, knowing that the more time the class took in discussion, the faster the rest of the day would go and she'd be closer to 'escaping' without being called on to do her oral book report (that she didn't write). Now the rust coloured filly decided to get in on the ongoing class discussion. She decided to jump on AppleBloom's last question with what she thought was a brilliant answer.

[colour=#B22222]"Of course we all know whar little foals come from! They come from the hospital! They gotta big glass display case thar and the mommies and daddies kin pick out the one they want ta take home with'm! What's ta know bout that?"[/colour]

Haywire wasn't being sarcastic or comical, she sincerely believed she was speaking the truth.

DiamondTiaraBanner.png

Diamond Tiara had to admit, she was kinda impressed by Scootaloo's quick response. Shame it was the same old "potential" trash that she'd heard the filly spouting off before. [colour=#9966FF]"Yeah, just like you're a constant loser,"[/colour] she muttered under her breath as Scootaloo sat down. What was the point in constant potential? It just means that you'll never get what you want. You'll be stuck with nothing but potential for the rest of your life.

Guiding Light's report had been kinda boring to Tiara. She wished he'd said more about the book, it sounded like it could be interesting, and she'd heard that it was quite popular. Diamond Tiara was all about popular things, especially if she could make herself more popular at the same time.

Ruby Pinch's report was... what was it? It was sorta childish, but weirdly grown up too. Who interviews ponies for a book report? And what was with the crazy vocabulary? Diamond was willing to bet Pinchy didn't have a clue what most of those words meant (and though she'd never say it, Diamond didn't know either). After her little conversation with Sweetie Belle it confirmed that she was just another totally weird blank flank.

Contrary to popular belief, Diamond Tiara didn't hate blank flanks. She thought they were losers who would never amount to anything and therefore she was allowed to make fun of them (who didn't have their cutie marks by now? Like, seriously.) but she didn't hate them. Of course, there were always more of them in class these days, so she rarely went out of her way to insult them; she was outnumbered. Now the Cutie Mark Crusaders on the other hoof, she hated them. They ruined her cutecenera, they cost her the chief editor position at the school paper, and they somehow got her new friend Babs to turn on her.

Darn, she'd got and made herself mad now. And now that irritating Haywire was talking again.

[colour=#9966ff]"So, what? You think they just grow them there, or something? Where does the hospital get the foals, Haywire? Enlighten us,"[/colour] she said, figuring that whatever dumb answer the yokel would give would be something hilarious and a welcome distraction.

Apple Bloom may not have thought much of Haywire's answer, though she wasn't going to mock her for it. After all, she was sure there was a time se believed in equally foalish things and still had this feeling that some silly beliefs of hers were still foalish. She wasn't going to start casting stones, you see, and even if she had been a meanie like Diamond Tiara she would have chosen a better target than Haywire. Diamond Tiara- the only thing diamond-worthy about her was her looks which were quite fetching but had little personality to support them, and she certainly didn't carry or conduct herself in the manner of anypony worthy of wearing a tiara. All in all, Apple Bloom felt the need to defend the silly troublemaker from further abuse at the hooves of the aggressive Diamond. So she chose the truth.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well Tiara, Ah know aaallllll 'bout tha miracle of foalbirth! Ah've seen it, an' Ah've even seen it with animals too. For ponies, it sarts simple 'nough: When two ponies love each other very much, they..."[/colour]

Cheerilee listened attentively as the little pink unicorn gave her report. It didn’t take long for her eyebrows to raise high in suspicious concern when she heard the title of the book, Silly Filly. It was one of those books that were recommended reading for teachers so they can better use it as a guide for young fillies blooming into marehood, but that as a few years out for Ruby and the rest of the class; Cheerilee started to feel a pit of dread in her stomach, Ruby wasn’t about to “explain” how foals were made was she?

Fortunately little Ruby kept the report to the chapter on “cooties”, which was one of those cute chapters for fillies to help them feel more at ease with the new emotions they were having. Cheerilee felt some relief; that is until she heard Ruby went out interviewing ponies on the subject. Before the schoolmare could dream about how a cold, dark cider would be good about now it turned out the interviews were also benign, and Cheerilee had to admit, impressive. Pinchy certainly didn’t lack for enthusiasm and effort in whatever project she was engaged in. It looked like Cheerilee wouldn’t have to write yet another note to Berry Punch about her daughter not understanding the assignment.

Before Cheerilee could ask if the class had any questions on the report, Sweetie Bell, and then Guiding Light jumped in with some questions that sounded like they were right out of one of Twilight Sparkle’s magic research papers. Cheerilee’s head craned to the left, she wasn’t sure if she should be impressed or not, what she was though, was stunned. Did they know what they were saying? It all sounded like some lecture from an eccentric professor in college on the inner workings of magic.

The exchange though ended quickly and Cheerilee was about to assuage Snips confusion about the nature of cooties when Applebloom jumped in and took the subject right back into dangerously awkward territory. [colour=#800080]“Well Applebloom we-“.[/colour] Before the schoolmare could finish, Haywire gave the more traditional foal answer to where foals came from. Sure it was horseapples, but Cheerilee was happy to leave it at that, the last thing she needed was another meeting with the mayor, or some unhappy parents.

That is until Applebloom spoke again, and was about to take the subject to a place well beyond classroom appropriate! Cheerilee’s eyes widened to saucers as she stood up,[colour=#800080] “that’s enough questions for now class! Thank you Ruby Pinch, that was a very… thorough report, you may take you seat now!!” [/colour] Cheerilee sat back on her haunches with a wide, nervous smile,[colour=#800080] “Uhhh… great questions all, but time is running short so I am afraid we can’t ask anymore on this subject!!”[/colour] She had had to admit; Ruby did really well though and appropriately if not quickly, wrote an ‘A’ next to the pink unicorn’s name; relieved at defusing what could have been the most awkward day of the year.

That was it for volunteers though; it was time to simply pick who would have to come next. It wasn’t sometime Cheerilee particularly liked to do but it was necessary, and at the moment, paramount. [colour=#800080] “Snips! Why don’t you come on up and share your report with the class please!”[/colour]

Feel free to chat with each other, this is all about the foals and growing your characters and interacting. Cheerilee won't notice unless it is done in a way where it is obvious you want her to notice

For Reference:

Late and thus in trouble ;):

Silver Spoon

Rosehip

Winter Dazzle

Gave reports:

Applebloom

Snails

Rosehip

Diamond Tiara

Scootaloo

Guiding Light

Ruby Pinch

Up next:

Snips

Others to still give reports:

Haywire

Sweetie Belle

Nursery Rhyme

Silver Spoon

Winter Dazzle

Featherweight

Sweetie Belle giggled softly, trying to hide the giggle with her hoof. [colour=#800080] "Symbology,"[/colour] she murmured. She gave him a little smile, hoping he wouldn't think she was teasing him, but it was just such a silly word! Almost as good as 'nameology' which she'd heard the other day!

After the whole conversation about babies, though - Sweetie just had to lean forward and correct Haywire. [colour=#800080]"You're almost right," [/colour]she whispered to Haywire. [colour=#800080] "Except they already picked out their babies before they get put in the display case! That's just to keep them in quarantine after the storks bring them so that their mommy and daddy don't get bird flu!"[/colour]

8nMQp.png

Nursery blushed profusely, being a little embarrassed that Guiding Light had noticed her odd behaviour. She shuffled uneasy on her seat, looking over to him very apologetic.

[colour=#dda0dd]"S.. sorry, Guiding Light. I'm j-just really s-scared of illness..."[/colour] Her voice trailed off, and she avoided his gaze.

She followed the discussion between her other classmates about where foals come from. The young nurse-to-be of course knew where foals came from. She had witnessed it before. And she wasn't surprised to hear that Applebloom knew all about it as well, growing up on a farm and all. However, she had come to realize that most grownups treated it as a secret, so she just didn't say anything at all. She had got into trouble before for blabbering about things that were "unfit" for fillies her age. Whatever that meant.

Nursery Rhymes chuckled quietly as he listened to Sweetie Belle. She wasn't even sure if she was being serious or not. Who really believed in the story with the bird bringing foals, really? I mean, yeah, storks are pretty big, but could they really carry a foal? Even a newborn one? That story had so many holes that she had never bought into it, even when she was younger.

Snips' report was next. Now that she had gone through her notes for the n-th time, she'd be able to follow it better then the previous one, surely.

Haywire breathed a sigh of relief. Miss Cheerilee hadn't called on her to go next! Maybe she still had a chance to escape the day without having to give hers. The blank flank filly hoped all of her zany delaying tatics would help her avoid giving her oral book report. Sure, she now had to stay after school for her unintended dream inspired outburst, but it would be a small price to pay if it enabled her to get 'off the hook' one more day.

When Haywire heard Diamond Tiara's response to her remarks about foals in the hospital, she was about to answer back with angry words before her classmate AppleBloom rose to her defense. The rust coloured blonde filly was both surprised and thankful for the actions of her fellow rural filly friend and how smart she was on the subject. Haywire leaned towards AppleBloom's desk to quickly whisper.

[colour=#B22222]"Thanks AppleBloom, maybe we kin meet up later and ya kin explain all that thar to me."[/colour]

colmOXH.jpgpXDH2Fc.png

Archer shifted nervously in her seat. Her report was very un-impressive indeed. Archer was spending the entire week crafting arrows, shooting bows, swimming, running, role-playing with her friends... You know, actual enjoyable activities. Not do some lousy writing project! So alas, she blew it off until the very last second, and started working on it... Four hours ago. The essay was messy. It was poorly written... And painfully short. Archer squinted her eyes and cocked his head, trying to seek out something redeemable about this train wreck... No avail! The report was utter garbage. He was doomed, and there was no hope about it!

A sudden thought shot to her head. She had an idea; but she needed to get away from the classroom...

With an awkward sense off sudden urgency, Archer filed to the bathroom door. She creaked open the door, than slipped in. Archer carefully climbed up on the bathroom sink, then slowly reached for the windowsill. Once she got it open, Archer leaped for the outlet, just catching her fore-hooves in the frame. Archer scuttled her hind-hooves, until she was able to dive into the outside world. Archer placed her right hoof into his mouth, and whistled a high-pitched tune. A maroon Robin flies towards her in response, waiting.

[colour=#0000cd]"Quiver! Come here boy!"[/colour] Archer pulls out a blank piece of paper and a pen, and hands it to him. [colour=#0000cd]"Listen, I'm going to be in the classroom. May you please listen in, and write down everything I say?"[/colour]

The bird nodded in response.

[colour=#0000cd]"Great, Thanks!" [/colour]

Archer hopped back into the classroom, with a new feeling of hope. Maybe he wasn't so doomed after all!

• 2 weeks later...

Featherweight looked around sleepily, as he waited for his turn. The poor foal has spent hours up lazy night, proofreading his paper! Meticulous hours, checking word after word for grammatical errors, rhetorical fallacies, and then so on... Now that Feather was sure that his report was spotless, he had nothing to worry about -- But to catch up on his lost sleep. So he'll just close his eyes and,

No! He mustn't! Any sign of dosing of, would mean getting in trouble! He. Must. Stay. Up.

Looking at the teacher with squinted eyes, he tried his best to focus on the purple figure ahead of him. Cheerlie. She appears to be picking up a ruler from the board, or what appears to be a ruler. Featherweight focused on the strange object. It wasn't a ruler, but a pure lightning bolt! Picking it up proudly, she turned towards Featherweight. Now an Alicorn, dressed in impressive white robes and armor. She seems to be, beckoning him, and...

Feather jolted himself of his sleep. He was completely dreaming. Featherweight looked at Cheerlie once more, she was just a regular old earth pony. No Demigod here! This time he was determined to stay awake. Staring out the window, he focused with all his might, to stay above dozing off.

[colour=#daa520]Wait a second, is that tree made out of cotton candy?[/colour]

Dead asleep

((Just to clarify, everything that Cheerlie did in this post, was purely inside Featherweight's own mind.))

SilverSpoonBannerCorrected.jpg

SilverSpoon just listened, raising an eyebrow at that, those two just kept talking, their mouthes moved and moved but didn't seem to actually say anything at all! And yet she bet that Pinchy got an A! She huffed and just glanced down at her own report, brushing it over with a hoof, she was a little nervous about reading it to everyone, as she really and truely loved this book, not wanting to ruin her reputation by gushing over it, but she was totally going to GUSH! Ugh...she smacked her head on her desk, resting her head on her hooves, just resting till it was her turn/.

[colour=#800080]“Snips! Why don’t you come on up and share your report with the class please!”[/colour]

Snips winced as his name was called. Well, he couldn't have avoided this forever, but he had been hoping... "Uh, OK, Miss Cheerilee," he said as he slid out of of his desk. He lifted the flap on his saddlebag,exposing the top of an enormous, ancient, black tome. He briefly lit his horn, trying to pick up the massive slab, but the book barely moved. Sighing, Snips grabbed the book in his mouth and pulled it out of the bag. The thing tasted horrible as he dragged it to the front of the class. With a heave, he tried, and failed, to get the book to the top of Cheerilee's desk. He settled on propping the book on end, facing the class.

With a nervous swallow, Snips turned to the rest of the class. "For my book report," he began, "I wanted to read something about awesome magical unicorns! I asked Miss Twilight at the library what I should read, and she gave me this." He gestured at the intimidating volume. "'The Life and Spellwork of Starswirl the Bearded, Conjurer of the Pre-Classical Period.' Starswirl was a super-powerful powerful unicorn, who lived, like, way back before Equestria existed."

Looking at his report, Snips intoned mechanically, "He is acknowledged as the father of the amio... animo... amniomorphic spell, and was well known for his studies into tempo... temporal mechanics. He was the mentor, which is kinda like a teacher, to Clover the Clever, one of the unicorns that helped to found Equestria. His works are kept in a special wing of the library in Canterlot." Snips looked up from the paper for the next part. "Even though the title says it's about his life, it was mostly about his spells an' stuff. I had to get my dad to help me with parts of it, and even he got confused. He told me not to try any of the spells, 'cause we couldn't even figure out what most of 'em did. I think Dad musta tried one, 'cause he went to bed that night with a horn-ache.

"So, um, Starswirl the Bearded was a really smart unicorn that lived a long time ago and made lots of spells. And then somepony made a boring book about him. Uh, The End." Snips finished, lamely.

Haywire was a mishchiveous little filly, more prone to starting a fire or bringing down a building than she was to learning something. But if there was something Apple Bloom knew for certain, it was that her accurate depictions through eyewitness accounts of live foalbirth that would teach Haywire a thing or three. It was better than all of the admittedly adorable nonsense that her classfillies were spoutin' off, though Apple Bloom would rue the day that poor little Sweetie Belle would learn where foals came from. It would ruin all of that deliciously silly beliefs that a filly held until she grew up and realized how foalish she had been. On a farm, Apple Bloom didn't have the luxury of such beliefs after a very young age. She kinda wished she DIDN'T know the truth behind foalbirth, but she did, and she wasn't going to let troublemaker Haywire have some sort of delusion that might in some manner cause trouble later on down the road.

Not that she could do it here- Cheerilee, and indeed every adult, seemed touchy about the subject and she couldn't blame them. The whole thing was utterly horrifying, and while her knowledge was useful, it was mostly unwelcome. She would have loved to have been as ignorant as her friends to the truth- it certainly made trying to get Big Mac and Miss Cheerilee together have a whole new meaning. For now though, the biggest part that Cheerilee played n her life was getting these book reports back in order and the fillies and colts moving onto the more fun part of the day. In order fr her to play her role, Snips had to play his. Celestia help them all. And hey, maybe she could convince Cheerilee to move on after this, saving Sweetie Belle!

[colour=#ff0000]"Hey Snips, nice try n'all, but you shoulda just asked me! Ah had some books ya could borrow. Sounds like ya didn't like Life and Spellwork, yeah? Ah didn't either, though Twilight did look a bit like a willow tree in a storm when I asked for it. Did she go on and on 'bout stuff ya hardly understood when you went down there too?"[/colour]

Haywire, hearing Snips' book report, was happy that it was him up there in front of the class and NOT her! Quickly, the blank flank filly tried to think up a battery of questions to ask to prolong Snips' presentation. To the blonde troublemaking filly, it was a 'race against time' to avoid being called upon to give her nonexistant book report.

[colour=#B22222]"I gotta question!" [/colour]Haywire shouted, raising her left front hoof in the air. [colour=#B22222]"Snips, what's Starswirl's favorite colour? Favorite number? Favorite pet? Did he always have that thar beard of his? If'n he's so great, why ain't his picture on any bubble gum cards? And another thing...."[/colour]

Haywire continued to babble with more ridicious questions. She was really going all out to stall for time.

Cheerilee gave her normal, encouraging smile as Snips dragged what looked to be one of those tomes one would only read about in a five bit store mystery or fantasy novel. She couldn't help but wince a little as she watched the stubby blue-gray colt try, but fail to lift the book on her desk. She could have lifted it for him, but experience had taught her that students, especially young colts, would only view such unsolicited help as humiliating and an opening to ridicule by classmates; fortunately Snips found a way around his predicament.

Snips was an average student; enthusiastic when it came to creative projects, but never put forth much effort academically. Unfortunately for the young colt, a book report was much more an academic assignment and his boredom with the whole exercise was instantly apparent. Cheerilee signed inside, she hoped that each student would find some story, some tale, or subject personally exciting in a hope to get them more exited about reading. In her mind there was at least one book out there, if not a whole lot more, for everypony. For Snails though, it appeared to have come off as one giant boring drag, which also described what it was like listening to his report.

Cheerilee sighed inside and wrote a "C-" next to Snails name; at least he had read the book, so that was something. She was about to let the disinterested colt return to his seat, convinced the class was as inattentive as he was. To her shock though, Snips actually got questions; first Applebloom and then Haywire, the latter who came off a little too excited in her inquiries over a book about a unicorn mage of the classical era. Cheerilee raised an eyebrow, wondering what the rust colour filly's game was, but figured to at least give Snips the opportunity to answer.

Then she noticed... One of the students did fall asleep![colour=#800080] "Mister Featherweight! This may not be terribly exciting for you, but it is considered appropriate to at least pay attention and certainly not fall asleep when a fellow student is giving a report! Please pay attention! I also hope you are ready because you are next after Snips is finished."[/colour]

Cheerilee looked at the clock, it was already getting towards the afternoon; would they get through all the reports today? She didn't want the time spent on them to go over; there was the big, exciting creative class project still, and she hadn't even had the chance to spill the beans on it yet to her students.

Guiding Light was about ready to respond to Ruby when Cheerilee stopped the questioning. Apparently something about what Ruby and Apple Bloom said about where foals come from upset her. He wondered why. After all, the colt knew where they came from after a rather unpleasant discussion between his parents and him. Thinking back, his parents seemed just as nervous telling him, maybe even more.

Nursery Rhyme seemed uneasy that Light was watching her watch him. Being a nurse in training the colt knew that she probably saw her share of sick or hurt ponies.

[colour=#daa520]"Sorry," [/colour]Light whispered over to her, [colour=#daa520]"But I promise I won't get you sick Nursery." [/colour]

Light's ears perked up when hearing Snips talk about Starswirl the Bearded. The colt was fascinated about the pony from the past and longed to do magic like him.

[colour=#daa520]"Snips," [/colour]Light said to his classmate up front, [colour=#daa520]"I wouldn't try any of those spells. I tried to do the one, I think it was called Spontaneous Generation, on a plant. It was supposed to make it grown, but I actually ended up causing the plant and the pot to explode. I had a really bad hoofache from that and my parents weren't too happy seeing the kitchen covered in dirt and pot pieces."[/colour]

DiamondTiaraBanner.png

Diamond Tiara wasn't paying attention to Snips' report. She made a point of paying as little attention to him as possible anyway, but a book about some old unicorn guy wasn't going to interest her. Now if they'd made a book about her grand-daddy Stinkin' Rich, she'd read that in a heartbeat!

More important right now was Silver Spoon, who seemed bummed out by something.

[colour=#9966ff]"Hey, Silvy, you okay? I know listening to Ruby and Snips is boring but it won't be long until the day is over!"[/colour]

Archived