(Canterlot) Fire Meets Fire (Ended)

Lux

Fire Heart was taking a break from her studies at Princess celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. It was a nice warm sunny day and a perfect time for her to just relax in the park nearby the school.

As she strolled around, it gave her time to think about her life. She was enrolled in a great school, and she was learning to kepp her emotions under control and thus her fire magic. Yet what she was missing was a friend. She tried many times to make friends with her fellow classmates, but either they were too busy or they were afraid of her due to her ability.

"(sigh) If only there was a pony that had an ability to create fire like me. Then maybe they'll be my friend. Yeah, I'll have a better chance of seeing a Manticore walking down the street that that happening!"

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Come on. Come on! Light up!"

Saturna didn't know why, but everytime she tried her luck at actual spells, she was never able to succeed. This one involved fire, a simple exercise to create a controllable fireball that wouldn't burn at touch. But she seemed to have wet or broken matches... She was half-bowed in the park, her eyebrows almost touching her eyes due to her concentration. Her purple horn went from extremely bright to a faded little light, as the filly focused. Here and then, she got her hopes up when she managed to see a little spark in front of her light pink eyes, but soon enough it would vanish. Lucky that that filly wouldn't give up so easily, not when she was a unicorn and her life spun around magic.

"Alright, Spirit, my dear, you be a good kid now and stay out of trouble!" an aged unicorn stallion said in a buoyant voice as he faced his young charge, a unicorn filly with bright but distant eyes. The two stood toward the center of Equestria's fair capital, Canterlot.

"Okay Mr. Gray," the filly replied vacantly. "Are you sure I can't come along?"

"No, no, dear child, where I now head is not a place that would interest an innocent filly such as you," Gray Lexis, Fillydelphia's most eccentric book collector and adventurer, said with bold flair as he pet the young unicorn with his hoof. "Mine is a path I must follow alone for now!"

"So this is just like when we go to Las Pegasus then?" the filly called Spirit Flame started, her head tilted.

"Er... not quite..." the old man started with a cough. "All the same, we are here in Canterlot now! A new city for your young body to explore and your young mind to absorb! Go forth and let your curiosity guide you toward adventure!"

"I'm not sure I understand..." the filly spoke, confused.

"You will, child! Soon enough, you will!" the older unicorn said with a hearty laugh. "I go now, but I shall return to your side soon enough!"

With that, the old stallion teleported away, leaving Spirit just kind of dazed and unsure. Spirit Flame was kind of different from most ponies. She didn't have a lot of friends. The old stallion, Gray, was her caretaker and her closest friend. He had found her when she had been all alone and had taken her back from the never ending of nightmare Everfree back into this kind and peaceful world of other ponies that she still didn't truthfully fully understand. Her lack of understanding leant itself to a noted awkwardness when dealing with others, made worse by the fact that her magic wasn't normal either. Simple things that came naturally to most ponies, like levitating small objects were quite difficult. The only thing she excelled at, the only ability she had that never let her down was the bright white fire that had allowed her to survive so long in the dark.

Adjusting to Fillydelphia had taken years for her. Here, in the middle of this new city, without her caretaker to rely on, she honestly didn't have the first clue what to go. Mr. Gray had told her to seek out adventure, but she didn't really get it exactly. He was closer to her than most ponies, but that didn't make him any easier to understand than the rest. Spirit had no choice but to start wandering the city aimlessly, not really sure what she was looking for or how to find it.

Passing a park, she could see a young unicorn filly standing about trying to summon a spark with her magic. Spirit tilted her head and stared. Was this pony struggling with the one and only thing she was good at? How interesting. Were ponies supposed to do magic in the park? Mr. Gray had told her to never use her magic in the city, but he had said that back home in Fillydelphia. Was Canterlot different? There were definitely more unicorns around. Maybe it would be okay? She wasn't really entirely sure. She soon passed yet another unicorn filly and in the process overheard some quiet muttering:

"(sigh) If only there was a pony that had an ability to create fire like me. Then maybe they'll be my friend. Yeah, I'll have a better chance of seeing a Manticore walking down the street that that happening!"

Spirit perked up immediately as she looked at all the streets for manticores. She hadn't seen any since she left the forest and she kind of missed them. When she didn't see any manticores walking down the street, she tilted her head and approached the filly about the other part of her speech.

"Excuse me," she said in a quiet, slow voice. "But I can make fire..." She nodded toward the other filly still practicing her spell. "And she can almost do it, it seems..."

As if hearing her request, Fire Heart saw a purple unicorn nearby. She looked like she was in deep concentration about something.

As she approached closer, the pony was trying to create something, yet all she saw was a tiny spark.

"Hey there, ddon't concentrate too much. Your eyes may go crossed," Fire Heart said jokingly, "What spell are you trying to do?"

Before the purple unicorn could answer, another pony quietly said that she could create fire.

"Oh you can create fire,too? That's cool! May name's Fire Heart, what's yours?"

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh you can create fire,too? That's cool! May name's Fire Heart, what's yours?"

Spirit gave a shy nod. Fire Heart was a nice name. She liked it. It reminded her of her own name. According to Mr. Gray, a pony's spirit and her heart were linked after all. Of course, fire and flame were the same. Since this pony had such a nice name, Spirit figured she must be a nice pony. She liked nice ponies.

"Hello, Fire Heart. Spirit Flame is the name I was given..." the filly said in her soft, slightly monotone voice.

Tilting her head curiously, she continued, "And yes, I can make fire. White fire."

After a small pause, she nodded and spoke some more, "Mr. Gray says that it's my special talent, which is why it's my cutie mark." She nodded towad the white flame on her flank.

Fire Heart smiled as the pony introduced herself. She knew there were other ponies that could make fire, but they were all older. It was nice for a change to find one around her age.

"Hi Spirit Flame! Oooo! You said you can make white flame? How does that work? Is it hotter than normal flame?"

Her curiosity was peaked as to this white flame. Fire Heart never heard or seen this before. She knew regular flame was orange and red. There were occasions when it could be blue if it was hot enough. She really wanted to know how to make her flame blue like that. But white was a new unknown for the student filly eager to learn.

"Hi Spirit Flame! Oooo! You said you can make white flame? How does that work? Is it hotter than normal flame?"

Spirit nodded shyly to the other unicorn filly again. She really liked to ask questions it seemed. That was okay. Spirit asked lots of questions too due to how much she still needed to learn about pony society. So many questions at once was a little overwhelming to her though. She'd have to make sure she answered them all.

"Yes. I can make white flames... but Mr. Gray said I'm not really supposed to in the city. Or well, I'm not supposed to back home. I don't know if this city is different," she said, tilting her head, unsure.

"I don't know how it works. It's just something I've always been able to do with my magic since my time in the forest..." the filly said, nodding carefully.

She paused for a moment slightly before starting on the third question. "As for how hot it is, I don't really know in terms of degrees... but I think it's really hot. Though I also know a spell that makes it just look like I'm on fire and it's not hot at all."

Fire Heart listened to all the answers to her questions.

"Wow! that's really neat. sorry about the tons of questions. It's just that I don't see that many unicorns like me that can create fire. I can only make normal looking fire, like in a fireplace. Problem is that if I get scared or too excited, the flames appear. It can get annoying sometimes."

"Wow! that's really neat. sorry about the tons of questions. It's just that I don't see that many unicorns like me that can create fire. I can only make normal looking fire, like in a fireplace. Problem is that if I get scared or too excited, the flames appear. It can get annoying sometimes."

Spirit just stared ahead at the other young pony. Fire Heart had a lot of energy and excitement to her, which definitely set her apart from a very quiet, timid pony like Spirit Flame. She rather liked Fire though. She seemed fun, and Spirit was glad to meet somepony so energy.

"It's okay. I do not really mind at all," Spirit said slowly, giving a mild nod.

"Mr. Gray says fire spells can be kind of difficult for unicorns to learn. It's not the rarest magical specialty, but it is not common either," Spirit said, still nodding.

The filly paused a moment and then tilted her head in confused. "But isn't when you're scared when you want the flames to appear?" she asked in a soft voice. "When I'm facing something scary, my fire protects me."

"This Mr. Grey sounds like a really smart pony, kind of like my professors at princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. I guess it makes sense that it is an uncommon talent. I only know of one other pony that does that."

She thought back to when she met Bonfire, a member of the Royal Equestrian Army, and how he agreed to help train her to keep her emotions under control. Heart then reflected on what Spirit said about using fire as protection.

"Well I guess I can use it to protect myself, but it's hard. I used to when I was little burst into flames alot, even when a pony tapped me on the shoulder or somehow scared me. Everypony in school was scared of me when I did that on the playground. My parents even considered putting a damper on my powers until I grew older. Thankfully I'm better at controlling it, but I'm still weworried that it will happen again. Oh, this Mr. Grey you were talking about, is he like your teacher?"

"This Mr. Grey sounds like a really smart pony, kind of like my professors at princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. I guess it makes sense that it is an uncommon talent. I only know of one other pony that does that."

Spirit nodded and smiled. Talking about her mentor was one of the few things that easily brought smiles to the usually emotionally sedate unicorn filly. "Yes. He's really smart. And he did used to be a professor too, at Canterlot University, but he quit because he thought it was boring. He's also written books before and he collects rare books too."

"Well I guess I can use it to protect myself, but it's hard. I used to when I was little burst into flames alot, even when a pony tapped me on the shoulder or somehow scared me. Everypony in school was scared of me when I did that on the playground. My parents even considered putting a damper on my powers until I grew older. Thankfully I'm better at controlling it, but I'm still weworried that it will happen again. Oh, this Mr. Grey you were talking about, is he like your teacher?"

As Fire talked more about her fire, Spirit nodded. She could sympathize. In her case, using her fire was the only thing that came naturally to her. It was the only thing she could control. Other magics had a steep learning curve for her. Even very basic telekinesis was a struggle. She was an odd case though. Growing up in the heart of the most dangerous place in all Equestria, she had had no choice but to learn how to protect herself when she was still very young. The second her manticore mother could no longer keep her safe, she had been forced to learn how to make her fire and use it to ward off the nightmares. There hadn't been much need for any other kinds of magic then.

"I see," she said softly. "I'm still learning to control my magic too. Fire spells are the only thing I can control right..."

Nodding, she added. "And yes, Mr. Gray is my teacher and also my guardian. He found me and even gave me my name. I live with him in his bookstore in Fillydelphia."

"Ah so you're learning to control your fire magic, too? Yeah, it's kind of tough, especially for me. Just when I think I have things taken care of, I end up bursting into flames again. You don't think your professor friend knows somepony that can help teach me to control and learn more about my fire magic, do you?"

Fire Heart then stopped and thought about something that Spirit said, something about how se was given a name by Mr. Grey.

"wait a minute, you said that you didn't have a name before Mr. Grey met you. Were you raised in an orphanage or something? I don't want to get too personal, but I just never heard of a pony who didn't have a name before."

"Ah so you're learning to control your fire magic, too? Yeah, it's kind of tough, especially for me. Just when I think I have things taken care of, I end up bursting into flames again. You don't think your professor friend knows somepony that can help teach me to control and learn more about my fire magic, do you?"

Spirit shook her head. "No, I can control my fire magic just fine... most of the time at least. Sometimes I use too much, which is why Mr. Gray says I shouldn't use it in the city, but I usually have good control of it..." she said quietly. "It's everything else that gives me trouble, even if it's just lifting things..."

The filly tilted her head to the side as she thought for a moment about the second question. After a moment, she nodded and spoke, "Well, Mr. Gray doesn't specialize in fire magic, but he's so smart he still might be able to help you. I think he's busy right now though..."

"wait a minute, you said that you didn't have a name before Mr. Grey met you. Were you raised in an orphanage or something? I don't want to get too personal, but I just never heard of a pony who didn't have a name before."

Spirit nodded quietly before giving her response, "That's right. Before he found me, I didn't have a name. I didn't even know how to speak." She paused and shook her head before continuing, "But I wasn't raised in an orphanage. I grew up in the forest. My mother was a manticore. Mr. Gray was the first pony I ever really met."

Fire Heart nodded when Spirit mentioned how she said she somethimes used too much fire. Fire wondered if that was a problem for her, if her lack of emotional control sometimes, coupled with not being able to control the extent of the fire could be the ultimate problem.

Well, Mr. Grey does seem like a smart pony to not only know about several types of magic like mine, but also how he used to teach."

Fire Heart then stared in wonder as Spirit mentioned why she didn't have a name. Was that right? did she just say she lived with a manticore?

"Your mother was a manticore? I'm sorry if I sound like i'm not believing you, but I just mnever heard a pony having a mom as a manticore."

"Well, Mr. Grey does seem like a smart pony to not only know about several types of magic like mine, but also how he used to teach."

Spirit just nodded. "Yes. he is the smartest pony I know... even if I don't always entirely understand the things he says..."

"Your mother was a manticore? I'm sorry if I sound like i'm not believing you, but I just mnever heard a pony having a mom as a manticore."

The filly gave yet another shy nod. "Mr. Gray says it 'goes against the natural order' for a manticore to want to take care of a pony... but I never thought about it as odd. She was my mother. She protected me when I didn't have the power to do it myself."

"Well, I don't really know much about creatures like a manticore," Fire said, "I haven't had my Magical Creatures class at my school yet. But it's nice that the one you met was so loving to care for you. I honestly heard only scary things about the Everfree Forest, and being in a place that's really flammable is not a good place for me to be anyway."

As if on cue, Fire's stomach growled.

"Err... sorry. Guess that means it's lunchtime. Do you want to join me. I know a great cafe nearby that makes the best salads."

"Well, I don't really know much about creatures like a manticore. I haven't had my Magical Creatures class at my school yet. But it's nice that the one you met was so loving to care for you. I honestly heard only scary things about the Everfree Forest, and being in a place that's really flammable is not a good place for me to be anyway."

Spirit gave a soft nod at the words spoken. "My mother was very kind. She always protected me from the dangers of the forest, from the other manticores who wouldn't accept me, and even from the timberwolves in the very end..." she said, a rare hint of sadness entering her eyes as she reflected upon her very early history.

"As for the forest... it is an evil place. It was my home for so many years and yet I fear it more than anything..." Spirit said with a small shiver. "My fire is the only way I survived until Mr. Gray found me. Using it, controlling it, I could make the creatures fear me or fear for their surroundings..."

"Err... sorry. Guess that means it's lunchtime. Do you want to join me. I know a great cafe nearby that makes the best salads."

Fire said this as her stomach made a rumbling sound. Spirit was all too familiar with this phenomenon. She was actually kind of hungry herself. She nodded. "Okay. That sounds good," was all the filly said.

Fire Heart could see a little sadness in Spirit's eyes when she mentioned her manticore mother. The mentioning of her mother protecting her in the "very end" sent a chill up Fire's spine. Part of her wanted to know more about the unicorn's mother, but she thought against it as this would inevitably make Spirit upset.

"Well thankfully you had a way to defened yourself from the creatures in the forest."

Fire then heard Spirit ention that she was interested in having lunch.

"Oh great! Ok. Well it's only a few blocks away. Follow me!"

Fire meandered through the streets of Canterlot pausing the check behind her so as not to lose the other unicorn in the crowd. Finally she stopped in front of the destination.

"Here we are! The Sun and Moon Cafe!"

"Well thankfully you had a way to defened yourself from the creatures in the forest."

Spirit nodded. "I wouldn't have survived if I didn't..." she said softly, her head tilted gently to the side as she did.

"Oh great! Ok. Well it's only a few blocks away. Follow me!"

"Ok," Spirit replied with another accompanying nod. She followed behind the other pony. Fire moved quickly with a lot of bounce in her step, so it was a little hard to keep up. The other filly did make sure to keep checking back to make sure she hadn't lost her though. In time, the two found their way in front of a cafe.

"Here we are! The Sun and Moon Cafe!"

Spirit nodded. Sun and Moon? She remembered Mr. Gray's lesson about this city. It was the capital with the castle at its heart. This was where the princesses who ruled Equestria made their home. Celestia and Luna, sun and moon. Did this place have something to do with that?

"It looks nice," she said, looking up at the building. "So does that mean the princesses eat here?" the naïve unicorn then asked as she stared at the name.

"Err... I'm not sure if the princesses eat here. But I supposed they of course could if they wanted to."

Walking into the cafe, it was clear why the place was called Sun and Moon. The cafe was divided neatly in half with its theming. The Sun half was painted white and yellow with solar themed adornments and sky designs. The moon side was likewise pinted blue and blace with stars and moons.

"So which side would you like to sit? The Sun or Celestia side sometimes gets a little more crowded than the Luna or Moon side. I don't know why, but it does. I usually sit on the Luna side, but it's up to you."

"Err... I'm not sure if the princesses eat here. But I supposed they of course could if they wanted to."

Spirit nodded. This made sense since, being princesses, they were probably free to eat wherever they wanted to. Still, the sun and moon theme intrigued the young unicorn; you wouldn't generally see such things back in Fillydelphia. Her curious eyes scanned the entire cafe as they moved toward their table. The clear divide between the two sides, gave the place a unique look.

"So which side would you like to sit? The Sun or Celestia side sometimes gets a little more crowded than the Luna or Moon side. I don't know why, but it does. I usually sit on the Luna side, but it's up to you."

Spirit tilted her head to a side as she considered it for a moment, then gave a shy nod. "I would prefer sun," she said. "The night... it can be frightening. The sun makes things safe."

The worst of Everfree did come out after dark. The sun was often her saving grace in her nightmarish early days. She had only been safe to sleep when it was up. Night on the other hand, usually had her on the run. Even if the moon itself had served as a guiding light in all of that darkness, and even if Spirit did kind of sympathize with Princess Luna herself, this choice was clear for her.

Fire wondered why Spirit preferred the sun to the moon. She guessed it had something to do with the fact of being in the Everfree Forest for so long. The night brought out the monsters, and Fire heart could only imagine what monsters lay within the forest.

"Um... ok then. Sun side it is."

The two took a seat at a booth and were given two menus.

"So Spirit, have you ever met any of the princessses?"

"Um... ok then. Sun side it is."

Spirit followed the other filly to their seat and took her menu as she sat down.

"So Spirit, have you ever met any of the princessses?"

Spirit gave a small nod. "Yeah. I saw both of them. They gave me candy," Spirit said in a steady voice. "Mr. Gray took me to Ponyville for Nightmare Night last year and it was part of some kind of game..."

"I also saw Luna's evil form, Nightmare Moon and the Draconequus Discord, but Mr. Gray said they probably weren't real," Spirit said, head titled as she remember the more frightening moments of the night. "Then again, he wasn't actually sure the princesses who had given me candy were the real ones either... so I don't know."

"Oh you went to Nightmare Night? That's neat. I wish I could have gone, but the university was having their own Nightmare Night party and i was helping there. And I don't think that Discord or Nightmare moon were real, at least I hope not. Who knows, maybe you saw the real Princesses. They have appeared in Ponyville sometimes. I met Princess Luna once. That was really neat!"

"Oh you went to Nightmare Night? That's neat. I wish I could have gone, but the university was having their own Nightmare Night party and i was helping there. And I don't think that Discord or Nightmare moon were real, at least I hope not. Who knows, maybe you saw the real Princesses. They have appeared in Ponyville sometimes. I met Princess Luna once. That was really neat!"

The young unicorn nodded her head gently as she listened to Fire. Softly, she spoke, "Nightmare Night was interesting, even if I'm not sure I entirely understood all the rituals. I liked the candy I got. Most ponies were kind of scared of me because of the costume spell Mr. Gray used on me though..."

Pausing a moment she nodded at the other filly. "How did you meet Princess Luna, she asked?"