(Canterlot) Fire Meets Fire (Ended)

Lux

Before the red unicorn could respond, Moon suddenly bolted out of the dorm room on her way to the bathroom.

[colour=#ff0000]"Err... guess she really had to go."[/colour]

Fire Heart then heard Spirit talk of what she had and how she took care of it at her house.

[colour=#ff0000]"Yeah, I understand about the books. That's why I have that shelf high up, just in case. I kind of already destroyed one of my text books a few months ago. I was cramming for an exam and became so worried that I literally burnt a hole into the page. Yeah, I don't really have any clothes either[/colour] [colour=#ff0000]partly since I don't need many like you and also the fire thing again. Actually I'm looking to have a dress made that's fireproof. I'm not sure if anypony can actually do that, but it's worth a try. I like that you live with a pony that has many books though. You must be really lucky being able to study what Mr. Grey has." [/colour]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(OOC: Even though I said you can skip me, this thread needs some resurrection.)

2wmm3ux.jpg

She didn’t know why, but Moondancer started feeling a bit funny when she entered the bathroom. Maybe they remodeled the place or whatever, but it gave her some sort of allergic reaction. Finishing her business in the restroom, the young mare found herself sneezing all the way back to Fire Heart’s dorm room. [colour=#cc0033]“ACHOO!”[/colour] Moony coughed up; [colour=#cc0033]“Are you two ladies ready to head on out now?”[/colour] The white unicorn was starting feeling a little bit better now, but she still needed to fight a sniffle or two. No matter what her mystery allergies said though, Moondancer WILL take the two fillies on over to Canterlot University, and NOTHING would prevent her from doing so.....

((ooc: ah... I forgot entirely you had said to skip you... :P))

[colour=#FF0000]"Yeah, I understand about the books. That's why I have that shelf high up, just in case. I kind of already destroyed one of my text books a few months ago. I was cramming for an exam and became so worried that I literally burnt a hole into the page. Yeah, I don't really have any clothes either[/colour] [colour=#FF0000]partly since I don't need many like you and also the fire thing again. Actually I'm looking to have a dress made that's fireproof. I'm not sure if anypony can actually do that, but it's worth a try. I like that you live with a pony that has many books though. You must be really lucky being able to study what Mr. Grey has." [/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]

[/colour][colour=#cccccc]Spirit nodded. It really did seem like Fire had some of the same problems she did. It was kind of nice to find another pony who did.[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000][colour=#ffffff]"I am very glad that Mr. Gray is the one who found me. He has taught me so much,"[/colour][colour=#cccccc] Spirit said in a soft voice looking ahead distantly. [/colour][/colour]

[colour=#ff0000][colour=#cccccc]She nodded some more as she considered some of the other things Fire had said.[/colour][colour=#FF0000] [/colour][colour=#ffffff]"I'm not sure it would be possible to make fabric entirely immune to fire or heat but from what I've read before, some fabrics are more resistant than others. Wool in particular has low flame spread rate and ignites at higher temperatures than most,"[/colour][colour=#FF0000] [/colour][colour=#cccccc]Spirit spoke rather steadily. She had once been very curious about clothing and why some ponies wore it. Mr. Gray had presented her with a number of texts on all aspects of the subject. A lot of it didn't make sense to her at the time and it still was mildly mystifying, but she could recall some details from a book about clothing and fabrics.[/colour][colour=#FF0000]

​[/colour][/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“ACHOO! [/colour][colour=#CC0033]Are you two ladies ready to head on out now?”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]It was then that Moondancer returned. Spirit looked at her and gave a faint nod. [/colour][colour=#ffffff]"Yes,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]she said.[/colour]

(OOC: That's ok. I don't mind waiting for fun RPs).

Fire Heart listened to her friend speak about the clothing dilemma. For a pony who didn't seem to have many possessions she sure knew about clothing! Of all the knowledge that the red unicorn learned in school and what she read on her own, clothing was something that the older filly that was out of her area of expertise.

[colour=#ff0000]"Hmmm... wool. Well, I really haven't seen a wool dress, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Wow, you really know your stuff about clothing Spirit! Ever think about becoming a dressmaker? I'm sure ponies would love your help."[/colour]

Fire Heart's attention was directed towards a sneezing sound coming from the hallway. She turned to see Moondancer there asking if the two unicorns were ready to go to the university.

[colour=#ff0000]"Are you ok Moon? I don't know what it is but ponies have been sneezing a lot here."[/colour]

Suddenly she felt a sneeze coming on, and a big one at that.

[colour=#ff0000]"Aah..""[/colour]

She desperately tried to hold it back, but found she was losing the battle with her body.

[colour=#ff0000]"Aah..."[/colour]

Fire quickly trotted to the open window in her dorm room and stuck her head outside.

[colour=#ff0000]"AAAACHOOO!"[/colour]

The sneeze was powerful enough to catch a pony by surprise, but as she sneezed a blast of fire erupted from her horn before disappearing.

[colour=#ff0000]"Heh... sorry about that. I'm better now. So yeah, let's go to Canterlot University!" [/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

Making a mental note to always watch out whenever Fire Heart sneezed, Moondancer led the two fillies out of the Dormitory Tower towards the neighboring Canterlot University, but not before getting the last bit of sneezing out of her system. Only one Clover Park stood in the way between the two great centers of education in the capital city, but the moon-flanked mare took her time to let everypony enjoy the sights as she trotted past the ever-so-pretty marble statue of Clover the Clever. Moony thought it was an inspired choice placing that particular figure there, given how much of a hero Clover is for scholar-kind.

And now that statue reminded Moondancer of an old story of hers she always liked to tell. [colour=#cc0033]“Oh!”[/colour] she suddenly cried out, interrupting whatever conversation the younger ponies were having; [colour=#cc0033]“Do any of you know about the prank I pulled with this statue here one time?”[/colour] A fine rhetorical question indeed, considering Spirit Flame obviously wouldn’t know the tale. Maybe Fire Heart knew, but what fun was there in never repeating funny stories.....?

[colour=#FF0000]"Hmmm... wool. Well, I really haven't seen a wool dress, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Wow, you really know your stuff about clothing Spirit! Ever think about becoming a dressmaker? I'm sure ponies would love your help."[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit shook her head softly. [/colour][colour=#ffffff]"No. I do not really know very much about the subject, nor do I have a special interest in it in particular. I merely read a book about it once. Furthermore, I am lacking in skill in the sorts of magics that would be useful at the task and the risk of igniting cloths would remain,"[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]she said in an even, low voice.[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]The filly found herself smiling just slightly then as Fire sneezed a burst of flame. Spirit had better control now and thus hadn't done anything like that in a while, but it used to be a bit of a risk sometimes. It made her feel more comfortable somehow as she started to follow Moondancer out and toward the university. Passing through clover park, the filly's eyes scanned rapidly, taking in the new sights until they came upon a large marble statue. Spirit focused intently on this, especially as Moondancer brought their attention to it.[/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“Oh! [/colour][colour=#CC0033]Do any of you know about the prank I pulled with this statue here one time?[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"No," [/colour][colour=#cccccc]was all she said as she shook her head.[/colour]

Fire Heart nodded her head in understanding of what Spirit. Some ponies had other talents or hobbies and the red unicorn assumed that perhaps that Spirit shared such hobby.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, I'm not really skilled with fashion either, but you are at least ahead of me with that because you read something. I really haven't had the time to read up on fashion."[/colour]

Fire Heart knew the Clover Park well. It was a place where she liked to go to study or at least enjoy some fresh air after spending some time indoors with classes. What she marveled at was the Clover the Clever statue, dedicated to a unicorn so long ago who was a student of the famous Starswirl the Bearded. Some ponies seemed to be in the right circumstances to achieve great things. Fire Heart only could wish that she had that happen to her one day.

[colour=#ff0000]"Actually I didn't hear about it. What happened Moon?"[/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

Now that it was made clear that the girls wanted to hear her story, Moondancer dashed right into it; [colour=#cc0033]“You know how on Nightmare Night you’re supposed to dump some of your candy next to a Nightmare Moon statue? Well, one time for a week before, I worked on how to use a paper-mâché shell to convert this statue here into one for Nightmare Moon. Then the night before the big night, I snuck out and covered up the Clover statue!”[/colour]

Moony continued reminiscing as she started to trot away; [colour=#cc0033]“Looking back on it, I probably should have asked an artistically talented friend to make the thing; my own effort didn't look too convincing in hindsight, but at least the shell was easy to dispose of without damaging the statue underneath. And hey... everypony else enjoyed my work of art; maybe I should too, tehehe.....”[/colour]

[colour=#cc0033]"So girls,"[/colour] the young mare asked as the University got closer and closer; [colour=#cc0033]"Got any stories of fun pranks too?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, I'm not really skilled with fashion either, but you are at least ahead of me with that because you read something. I really haven't had the time to read up on fashion."[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit stared ahead with an unsure exp<b></b>ression. She somehow doubted Fire's words were entirely accurate. From the book she had read she could effectively recall the processes and compositions of a number of common fabrics as well as their qualities, but the concept of "fashion" was something that almost entirely mystified her. She knew which fabrics were the most durable and insulating, but she had no clue as to why anypony would wear anything but those fabrics. Even then clothing hardly seemed a necessity to her, at least in most climates; equine coats alone offered enough protection to go without in most common situations. [/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Ultimately she just slowly nodded. Fire was complimenting her after all. Refuting her and clarifying things would not be wise in this situation if she recalled her early lessons with Mr. Gray. [/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Actually I didn't hear about it. What happened Moon?"[/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“You know how on Nightmare Night you’re supposed to dump some of your candy next to a Nightmare Moon statue? Well, one time for a week before, I worked on how to use a paper-mâché shell to convert this statue here into one for Nightmare Moon. Then the night before the big night, I snuck out and covered up the Clover statue! [/colour][colour=#CC0033]Looking back on it, I probably should have asked an artistically talented friend to make the thing; my own effort didn't look too convincing in hindsight, but at least the shell was easy to dispose of without damaging the statue underneath. And hey... everypony else enjoyed my work of art; maybe I should too, tehehe.....”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit nodded. The customs of Nightmare Night were indeed something she had come to understand. Mr. Gray had had her participate in a big Nightmare Night even in Ponyville one year and it was something she could vividly recall. Throughout that night she had encountered a variety of unusual and perhaps unnatural characters as she collected candy. Because of that memorable experience, the traditions of Nightmare Night were something she had decided to research further. Spirit wasn't entirely sure why Miss Moondancer would need to modify an existing statue for the event though. This seemed unusual.[/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]"So girls. [/colour][colour=#CC0033]Got any stories of fun pranks too?"[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]At this question Spirit tilted her head aside. [/colour][colour=#ffffff]"Pranks...? I'm not sure I understand..."[/colour][colour=#cccccc] she said distantly.[/colour]

To the red unicorn, Spirit seemed to doubt her knowledge of fashion. Granted Fire Heart knew that ponies typically didn't wear clothes except either for extreme weather conditions or for fancy occasions. Still at least the unicorn knew about fabrics where the red older filly was lost in the process of making clothing other than seeing a dress in a store and thinking it was nice.

Fire Heart chuckled when Moondancer told the story of how she transformed the massive stone statue into one looking like Nightmare Moon.

[colour=#ff0000]"Really? That was you? Wow. I remember when that happened, how I was in that park during the day but then at Nightmare Night the statue changed, but I didn't think you did that. Then again I didn't know you much except when you came over to oversee the practice room."[/colour]

Moondancer asked about pranks to which Fire Heart thought for a few minutes until a memory appeared that made her smile.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well, there was one prank that I did. A pony on my floor was having a birthday party and invited everypony on the floor to join in on the fun. Every time she tried to blow out the candles though on her cake I would relight them. She kept trying several times until she realized what I was doing. That was a fun party." [/colour]

Apparently, Spirit didn't understand pulling a prank which Fire tried to explain.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well Spirit, a prank is like a joke that you do to another pony. It's harmless of course but just to tease another. Err... maybe Moon can explain it better since she seems to make more elaborate ones." [/colour]

2wmm3ux.jpg

[colour=#cc0033]“Ah, the old trick candle trick!”[/colour] Moondancer congratulated Fire Heart on her past ingenuity; [colour=#cc0033]“Except that you could relight them yourself with your magic instead of relying on actual trick candles. Verrrry clever... I’ll have to remember that if I wanna’ attempt something like that.”[/colour] If she had the time and willpower, the moon-flanked unicorn just might be able to learn the magic trick in time for her friend Dazzle Dawn’s birthday coming up.

Evidently, Spirit Flame didn’t quite know why ponies pranked one another, so it was up to Moony to backup Fire Heart and help explain the concept; [colour=#cc0033]“There’s more to it too. A good practical joke shows that you care enough for a pony or place that you make take the time and effort to make fun of them using physical props instead of using simple verbal or written jokes.”[/colour] Anticipating that the socially-unfamiliar Spirit would see this as contradictory behavior, Miss Dancer preemptively elaborated more; [colour=#cc0033]“You see, part of being a good friend is letting those you care about know about their flaws or odd quirks as well as their positive attributes. A prank is just an easy humorous way of doing this, and sometimes it doesn’t need any other purpose than getting a rise out of other ponies for laughs.”[/colour]

Suddenly armed with inspiration, Moondancer stopped dead in her tracks and looked at the purple unicorn. [colour=#cc0033]“Hey Spirit, pull my hoof!”[/colour] she asked of Miss Flame, extending a foreleg out to the filly.....

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#FF0000]"Well Spirit, a prank is like a joke that you do to another pony. It's harmless of course but just to tease another. Err... maybe Moon can explain it better since she seems to make more elaborate ones." [/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“There’s more to it too. A good practical joke shows that you care enough for a pony or place that you make take the time and effort to make fun of them using physical props instead of using simple verbal or written jokes. [/colour][colour=#CC0033]You see, part of being a good friend is letting those you care about know about their flaws or odd quirks as well as their positive attributes. A prank is just an easy humorous way of doing this, and sometimes it doesn’t need any other purpose than getting a rise out of other ponies for laughs.”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit listened to the other ponies and nodded. It seemed very odd to her and she wasn't sure she entirely comprehended it all, but she supposed she did have evidence to support what they were saying. For that reason, it was easy to affirm its veracity.[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]"I see..."[/colour] [colour=#cccccc]she started wispily. [/colour][colour=#ffffff]"Mr. Gray often exhibits abstruse behavior when interacting with me. Misdirection via partial or obscured truths, capitalizing on my lack of understanding to set up situations that will be startling or confusing... I had often wondered why he seemed so amused by much of it. Perhaps many such incidents were intended as pranks..."[/colour]

[colour=#CC0033]“Hey Spirit, pull my hoof!”[/colour]

[colour=#cccccc]Spirit stared at the hoof confusedly, not sure why it was being offered to her. She tilted her head and continued to examine it for a moment before raising her hooves.[/colour] [colour=#ffffff]"Very well," [/colour][colour=#cccccc]she said, somewhat unsure. Nevertheless, she gave a short tug at the mare's hoof.[/colour]

Fire Heart smiled as Moondancer seemed to like her candle trick. It was something that she couldn't resist doing, especially with her talent. She then listened as the moon flanked mare spoke about what it meant to pull a prank on somepony. Although Fire Heart knew about emotions she often had difficulty explaining things to others like friendship and pranks and love. Then again most ponies knew about these things so explaining them wasn't really necessary.

[colour=#ff0000]"You took the words right out of my mouth Moon. I couldn't have said it better. So teah, Spirit, it's not that you're making fun of them. Pranking is actually a sign of affection like talking to a pony or having fun with them. I think that's what Mr. Grey is doing to you, pulling innocent pranks because he likes you." [/colour]

It was then that Moondancer asked Spirit to pull her hoof. Fire Heart could only watch, wondering what the crazy mare had in store for Spirit.

• 3 weeks later...

2wmm3ux.jpg

Bemused by the fact that Spirit Flame fell for the oldest and simplest prank in the book, Moondancer evilly smiled as the filly reached for her hoof. Once Moony felt that tug, she did what every other mischievous unicorn ought to do in this situation: instantaneously having her horn flare with a magenta glow while giving off a rather shrill unpleasurable sound. The young mare immensely enjoyed this prank variant, especially how she could accomplish it without needing to use vulgar means like everypony else to… pull it off. At any rate, Moondancer couldn’t wait to see how Spirit would react.....