An episode where the moral is on 'empathy'.

Wormtail96

I would really like there to be an episode where the moral is on empathy, or 'walk a mile in their shoes', or just seeing things from another perspective, in which the Mane Six gets a better understanding of a certain character or group of characters, seeing they are not as bad as they first believed.

This is what I thought the supposed 'Fluttershy turns into a dragon' episode was going to be about; Fluttershy walking a mile in a dragon's shoes and thus understanding that she should not fear dragons as she does, now having understood what it's like to be one. However, it seems that such an episode is not going to happen after recent confirmation.

Yet still, an episode on empathy would do well for MLP. I, personally, would like it to be on the Changelings and the Mane Six's perception of them being their enemies. Why this would be an interesting episode is because the Mane Six and most ponies do have complete justification for not trusting Changelings; an army of them invaded their country! So it then makes the Mane Six more sympathetic in their distrust and that no one side is wrong. However, in this episode, the Mane Six could come to understand that Chrysalis' army is representative of every single Changeling and that it is wrong to paint all Changelings as their 'enemy'. That they are people, with family and loved ones (on a side note, this is why I do not support the hive-mind idea that some fans endorse, because it mostly takes away the opportunity to show Changelings as inidividual characters).

The specific concept has many ways in which it could be played out; the Mane Six are stranded in an isolated area with a group or family of Changelings; the Mane Six find themselves trapped in the Changeling Kingdom and disguise themselves and thus get an understanding of what their lives are like, or the familiar scenario of them finding a Changeling baby and have to return it to its family (The twist? It's Chrysalis baby!)

What do you think? Would this make a good episode on empathy? Do you have your own ideas for such a moral?

As much as I hate to say it, Mare Do Well sort of did this theme, unless there's an episode at the moment that's escaping me. I'm not sure how tight the focus was specifically on empathy, but we saw plenty of RD chasing after Mare Do Well and getting a heavy dose of her "own medicine"...only it was executed poorly and with poor regard to her character, imho.

As much as I hate to say it, Mare Do Well sort of did this theme, unless there's an episode at the moment that's escaping me. I'm not sure how tight the focus was specifically on empathy, but we saw plenty of RD chasing after Mare Do Well and getting a heavy dose of her "own medicine"...only it was executed poorly and with poor regard to her character, imho.

Actually, Mare Do Well was about being humble about your accomplishments, but executed poorly.

Well, i'm sure there are plenty of episodes that COULD be related to that lesson. i'd say Lesson Zero could be related to that... they should have empathized with her troubles rather than blowing them off...

Just because they don't say 'This is the lesson' at the end of the show doesn't mean it hasnt been hinted at... you can gain knowledge on multiple ways to be a better person from one show... Many episodes have multiple lessons and many lessons are repeated... "Dont bite off more than you can chew" And "dont judge a book by it's cover" are done a couple of times from what i've noticed, even though they're only blatantly stated once each...

as for your idea, it could be good... but again, i think the 'lesson' would end up being more about 'dont judge a book by it's cover' rather than being empathetic... perhaps they could do the whole 'switch lives' thing where two ponies with different responsibilities switch because they think the other's life is easy... and they find out it's not... so they end up empathizing with one another.

• Like 1

Ticket master: the other five learned to look at the problem from Twi's perspective

Griffon the brush-off: Pinkie tried her darndest to see things from Gilda's perspective, and thus she was capable of making mature decisions about the probem when Guilda proved herself to be phony.

Bridal Gossip: as described by starfox

Sonic Rainboom: Rarity seeing her actions through Rainbow's eyes

Plus: Dog and Pony Show, Green Isn't Your Color, Over a Barrel, Owl's Well that Ends Well, Lesson Zero, Luna Eclipsed, Sisterhooves Social, Dragon Quest, Hurricane Fluttershy AND Ponyville Confidentia.

That is not to say they are done, or ever will be. Empathy is such a huge part of relationships that it sneaks into lots of the episodes.

The hardest part of relationships for me is to not only feel what they are feeling, but to know how to respond well when someone is struggling with something. I love the story of Job, because in the midst of his suffering, four of his friends came to visit, which proves that they really did care about him, and not his wealth since he no longer had any. Then they sat with him in silence for seven days, for there was nothing to say. They waited for him to speak for seven days! I'd love to see an episode where someone had a problem that couldn't be solved, and her friends just came to be with her.

Well, i'm sure there are plenty of episodes that COULD be related to that lesson. i'd say Lesson Zero could be related to that... they should have empathized with her troubles rather than blowing them off...

Just because they don't say 'This is the lesson' at the end of the show doesn't mean it hasnt been hinted at... you can gain knowledge on multiple ways to be a better person from one show... Many episodes have multiple lessons and many lessons are repeated... "Dont bite off more than you can chew" And "dont judge a book by it's cover" are done a couple of times from what i've noticed, even though they're only blatantly stated once each...

as for your idea, it could be good... but again, i think the 'lesson' would end up being more about 'dont judge a book by it's cover' rather than being empathetic... perhaps they could do the whole 'switch lives' thing where two ponies with different responsibilities switch because they think the other's life is easy... and they find out it's not... so they end up empathizing with one another.

That be cool, I'm imagining it'd be llike Freaky Friday Meets Ponies. ^_^