It's "pegacorn."

Dessa

From an EQD interview with Rebecca Dart:

When I read the script I had a very clear vision of what I wanted the character [Chrysalis] to look like. She was described as a gangly, black pegacorn with a gnarled horn, but with a name like Chrysalis I though she should be a bit insect-like, thus the carapace and transparent wings.

[bolding mine]

She was described to her, presumably by someone higher up the chain, as a "PEGACORN." I always liked pegacorn better anyway.

Interesting. I wonder who it was? Also, she knew the name "Chrysalis", but how did we find it out? I've reviewed the credits, and her name isn't even in that.

But both "pegacorn" and "alicorn" are terrible names. "tri-pony" is marginally less awful. Maybe.

I REJECT THIS CANON AND SUBSTITUTE IT WITH MY OWN. :evil:

Royal Pony seems more politically correct fitting, considering every one of them have been Princesses/Queens.

So wait, are Pegasus Unicorns royal because they have wings and a horn, or have wings and a horn because they're royal?

• Like 1

So wait, are Pegasus Unicorns royal because they have wings and a horn, or have wings and a horn because they're royal?

It is complete coincidence that they are like so: as soon as one is introduced as a non-royal, the term will become obsolete, to which I propose this alternate name: Ultima Caballio.

In before "winged unicorn."

The poor earth ponies!

What about "winged horned earth pony"?

Pegacorn sounds like a fun kind of caramel corn that must be created. *jots down notes*

No it doesn't....wait...ok now it does for me too. Thanks a lot. : )

I guess I like pegacorn better than I like alicorn, but they both make me think of corn

Not to me...wait...gosh darn it!

I kind of prefer alicorn too. Pegacorn does sound kind of weird to me. Also, I like to think of the princesses as representing all ponies. Pegacorn is more distinctly just pegasus/unicorn.

• Like 1

Alipeg! Alisus! Trisus! Tripeg! Alipony! Tertiasus!

If you call them tricorns you could have either of the princesses in an old school hat and have tricornception...

I like alicorn too but it may just be familiarity....

What does the interwebs say? Hello? Interwebs! Talk to me!

(From Answers.com)

Pegacorn: Unicorns with wings

- In Cantabria, northern Spain, there is a myth of a flying Unicorn with wings on its hooves, El Alicornio, which is where the whole Alicorn thing stems from. Alicornio may as well translate as Alicorn, so I would say alicorn as a winged unicorn was in fact correct

A winged horse is a pegasus, a horned horse is a unicorn, and a unicus is a winged and horned horse so the answer is unicus.

It is usually refered to as a Pegacorn (in the odd event it comes up in topic) but unicus may be accepted as a term for them.

An alicorn (from the Latin ala [wing]+cornu [horn])

Ok. I've heard this debate before of what to call ponies like Celestia, Luna, and Cadence (and also in some respect Chrysalis)

The term "alicorn" actually refers to the material that makes up a horn or the name of horn itself.

In mythology, a creature like the princesses were known as "winged unicorns," or "pegacorns."

Show canon wise, Celestia, Luna, and Cadence were just called Princesses rather than a pony type.

So if this means that the three will get an actual type name, then great.

Oh yeah, I remember where she said, "Can any unicorn spread love like her? I don't think so!" or something like that. She may be just saying that power wise no other unicorn comes close rather than saying that Cadence is a unicorn.

Ah...Semantics

I prefer Alicorn. Yeah, I don't really know the origin of the word, but the problem with Pegacorn and Pegasus Unicorn and Winged Unicorn for me is that it kinda disregards that the Princesses are a combination of all three Pony races, not just unicorns and pegasi.

Uniponysus. There. Problem solved. ;P

• Like 1