The Coltaran Chronicles: Chapter 1, Dark Moon Rising [Coltara] (OPEN)

Valencetiger

Silvan Dragoran

Prince of Ravens

Silvan gave a warm smile to the awkward pony, as Silvertongue made the food disappear, placing the Qai'Maga away in a bag at his side. Silvertongue came over and lifted Gallows off the ground, holding him up and carrying him gently.

"...my Prince, shall we be going now?"

"Yes, yes. Of course. Let's get going, shall we, gentlecolts?"

He would lead the way, setting off to the east, where a spiral of mountains rose up from the sky, Silvertongue hauling Gallows with him as they continued on.

(OOC: Very well put :P )

Silvan Dragoran

Prince of Ravens

After two weeks of non-stop travel, the trio had finally arrived at a village on the outskirts of the Howling Mountain, which was the largest mountain in the Empire, and was home to a sect of ponies who worship Astral Magus, Grandfather of ponykind, and the stars. Also, it was said that their detachment from the rest of the world was spiritually enlightened, and that one among them possessed a special assortment of amulets. What these amulets could do, Silvan had only heard about it rumors. He wondered the legitimacy of the rumors, but those were only a small benefit to his actual reason for coming here. The monk who held the necklaces was his real goal, and had come here for him...or her. He didn't know the name or appearance of the monk, simply that they are one of the few Sages left in the world, and a unique one at that. With the desolate, looming mountain casting its shadow over them, they made their way to the small town beneath it. Shallow Rivers, so the place is called, was once a large mining village, and brought in a huge supply of the Empire's metallic ores for well-over a thousand years. However, when their mines went dry, their business died, and the town became the sorry excuse it was today. It had certainly seen better days...that was for sure. As they went through the town, several of the ponies there cast them suspicious and threatening glares. Oh yes...it had seen better days. They finally stopped outside of an inn, and decided to go in for some shelter and something to eat. Upon entering, the whole inn went silent, the occupants staring at them as they made their way across to the innkeeper. Silvan paid no mind, he had been trained to ignore such things...and to punish them. But he never punished anyone who looked at him wrongly...why should he? They were entitled to their opinion. When they came up to the counter, the innkeeper turned to Silvertongue and spit into a kettle.

"What can I do ye for...? Lookin' for a couple of rooms for ye, yer son, and...yer friend 'ere?"

Silvan and Silvertongue exchanged glances, nodding to one another. They might as well keep themselves on a low profile, so this will do in their favor. Silvertongue placed a couple of gold marks on the bar, making the innkeeper's eyes bulge.

"...ye...ye aren't one of the Blood, are ye? If so, I apologize for me rudeness, yer lordship..."

"No, no. Don't apologize, good innkeeper. I hope that covers for two rooms and dinner, yes?"

"...M-more than enough. Please, make yerselves at home 'ere at the Gray Flagon."

Silvertongue gave the innkeeper his thanks, and they proceeded to a table in the back of the inn, Silvan looking out the window and up at the towering mountain. His guard smiled gently, remembering who much similar Silvan was to him in his youth...it was hard to believe one of his stature, especially of the Imperial Family no less, to have such a pure heart. Silvertongue had seen two imperial generations, and he had not cared for how the Imperial Family squabbled over the throne...he had killed one of them himself. It still pained him to this day, and he thought that, as Silvan's teacher and friend, he could help the young Prince become an Emperor unlike any other the Empire had ever known, as a way to redeem the horrible things he had done in his life. For him...the world was fine, and he was content, leaning back and ordering a round of ale and some cider for Silvan.

Gallows glanced around mistrustfully at the townsponies that they passed on their way to the inn, recieving mistrustful glances in return. He hadn't left Coltan's Rest since his family had been relocated there, and he wasn't much enjoying his first excursion into the big, bad world. There weren't as many militatry figures huffing and puffing about, but there was still scraping and groveling wherever he went, probably due to the fact he was traveling with the prince. A lot of the groveling was done by him to his grave dissatisfaction, being as it was expected of him to show respect for the prince, even if neither he nor the prince cared. Then again, being randomly groveled at every now and then just for being assosciated with royalty was fairly pleasing, so there was a slight upside.

He kept his head down and his continued to scowl at anypony nearby until they reached the inn. It was a place that looked like it would have been quite elite back in the day, much like the rest of the town. It had smooth stone walls, covered in moss and cracks. It had an ornate wooden sign with paint peeling off hanging from a rusty chain above a splendid doorway, lacking the door.

When they entered Gallows could feel the mood of the room; like someone was holding a knife to the back of his neck. And in this room, they just might be. He curled his lips back and scowled at everyone, daring them to come over and mess with him. It was an empty gesture, seeing as if anything kept them away it would probably be the Nightingales, not his moody frown. Disheartened even more by this thought, his frown stayed on his face as he sat on his haunches before the bar.

"What can I do ye for...? Lookin' for a couple of rooms for ye, yer son, and...yer friend 'ere?"

"Ha ha," Gallows laughed sarcastically under his breath at the awkward, split second pause.

"...ye...ye aren't one of the Blood, are ye? If so, I apologize for me rudeness, yer lordship..." Gallows smirked at the innkeep's discomfort.

"No, no. No need to apologize, good innkeeper. I hope that covers for two rooms and dinner, yes?"

"...M-more than enough. Please, make yerselves at home 'ere at the Gray Dragon."

"If that's more than enough I'll be just delighted to take the change off your hooves," Gallows spoke up as the innkeep brought out the ale and cider. After all, why waste gold on a fat, happy stallion when you could waste it on a thin, creepy stallion? :3

He grabbed a tankard of ale and took a long draught of it, making a loud slurping sound before he put it down and turned to Silvan, "So, what's here at this ugly rock worth lookin' for kid?" He smiled privately at the dirty look the innkeep gave him for the insult on the town.

Silvan Dragoran

Prince of Ravens

Silvan turned to Gallows as if woken up from a daze. After blinking a few times, he would shake his head, drinking his cider quietly while the innkeeper moved on. Once the chubby stallion was gone, he put the cider down and looked into the mug.

"I am here to locate a certain monk at the top of the Howling Mountain...it is said that he is one of the few remaining Sages in the world, so he might come in handy. Plus, he may have some additional artifacts I could use later. If that is not the case, it would still be fine...I just need to convince him or her to join us."

He looked back out the window, his dark blue eyes searching the icy mountain top as if expecting a dragon to appear from it at any moment.

The gravekeeper nodded slowly, taking a smaller slug of his ale, "Hmmm, I see. Makes me wonder what it is I've signed up to do, not for the first time I'll have you know." The whole situation was still vague and unclear in Gallows' mind, but he'd become relatively certain Silvan wasn't out to cause him in particular harm, so he was fine.

As the time passed and first one then two, three, and four tankards were emptied Gallows started to notice the room getting just a bit fuzzy. His head seemed to be getting fuzzy too. Normally he only ever had one tankard of ale because that was all he could afford, but now he was dining with royalty hoofing the bill. He turned to Silvertongue and hiccuped quietly, eyes blinking out of sinc, "So, big guy. How did the little guy drag you into this?"

Silvertongue

Loyal Protector of Silvan

Silvertongue glanced at the drunk earth pony with a disdainful expression. He honestly didn't understand why the Prince wanted this strange pony with them. But, he trusted Silvan, and thus obeyed without questioning him. Still...that did not mean he had to like the gravedigger.

"If you must know, I wasn't dragged into this. I chose of my own free will, despite being his guardian. I of course couldn't refuse, because he is my charge. In case you haven't noticed, he is quite different from the rest of the 'you know who'...and is far more lenient and kind than he should be."

The words were pointed at Gallows like a dagger, basically showing his distrust of the outcast. Silvertongue hadn't even finished his first mug, just in case an enemy were to attack. The Imperial Family had many enemies...and he never know when one may appear. Still...he doubted that such a thing would happen in this back-water village. He placed another gold coin on the table, and got up, heading over to the innkeeper to discuss rooming arrangements, and left the gravedigger with Silvan, giving him a glare that basically said "Take care of him, or I'll skin your hide".

Gallows wasn't so far gone that he missed the older stallion's obvious animosity towards him, but he WAS too far gone to keep his mouth shut. "Oh. Too old to be a proper guard so they have ya watching kids, eh? Well, good for you mate. Still doing good work even at your age... what's your age again? Nevermind." And then the stallion made the mistake of trying to get up. He miscalculated his actions and ended up slumping onto the ground. He blinked in surprise, then yawned cavernously, "I think... I'll go see how our rooms look," He said around another yawn, getting to his hooves and walking in a swerving line toward some stairs on one side of the room.

Silvan Dragoran

Prince of Ravens

Silvan rushed over to the earth pony's side, propping him up with his own body and helped carry him up the stairs. He groaned at first from the weight, but quickly grew accustomed to it as they went up the steps. Silvan gave his drunk counterpart a nervous smile.

"You ought to be more careful, Master Gale...it would be a shame to lose you before our journey even began, wouldn't you think? Plus, I am sure the innkeeper would not like to clean you up if you fell down the steps."

Silvan felt kind of odd saying that, for he was trying to match Gallows' dark humor, and was hoping he did alright. They would finally reach their rooms, and Silvan helped drag the drunk pony to his bed, plopping him down onto the cotton.

"Sleep well, Master Gale. We will be climbing the Howling Mountain by noon tomorrow."

Closing the door behind him, he made his way to the room he and Silvertongue shared, which had two beds and was nicely open...well, for a room in an Inn that is. Silvertongue sat at one of the desks, writing down some notes on the scenery and the land around them, trying to figure out the best escape route, just in case. Silvan, tired and not really caring about that sort of thing, slumped into his bed covers and drifted to sleep.

A cloaked pegasus sat quietly in the lobby of the inn. The pony had nothing better to do at the moment other then to bide his time in idleness until his next "job" was revealed to him. Swiping his hoof across his head, he pull back the hood of his beige cloak; a light-beige mane fell over the face of a taupe colored stallion, just barely obscuring his golden yellow eyes from view. The stallion closed his eyes in elation as he sniffed in the delicate smell of his hard cider, oh how he loved his lazy days. He raised his tankard up to his mouth and prepare to down the entire thing in a single swig- He heard the sounds of ponies falling to there knees as if some great burden had befallen every single mare and stallion present. He cocked his right ear to try and find the source of disturbance.

A distinguished looking pegasus pony casually strutted through the doors of the inn and in his tow was what as obviously one of the empires Nightingales and some scrawny earth pony, but the pegasus is who really caught his attention. The taupe pony's eyes nearly popped out of his head as realization hit him. That's Silvan Dragoran, Prince of Ravens. What is he doing out here? He questioned. He watched with shining yellow eyes as Silvan stepped up to the innkeeper and paid for room and board for his party. It appears that they will be staying here for the night, a blessing in disguise. Soul Slasher tapped his bond with his aishanidari to access what small amount of power from its rune he could channel from it at such a range. His eyes glowed dimly and true to his name he peered into Silvan's soul, he was taken aback, not from the atrocities the stallion had commited, but by the sanctity of his spirit. He sensed nothing corrupt about the stallion he had done bad things, but he regretted them. He wasn't like other imperials, but he was still and enemy, he wouldn't make a lethal move against him without an order from The Night Children, but he did intend on cornering and questioning the stallion.

He stood up and began to trot away to his room, he needed to prepare for tonight. Inebriation could wait.

Silvan Dragoran

Prince of Ravens

Silvan awoke in the middle of the night from a nightmare, the same one he had every night...the dream of his father's and brother's funeral. It happened over five years ago, but it still haunted him. He got up from his bed quietly, and exited the room, making sure not to disturb anyone. Going down the stairs, he crossed the empty inn and went out the front door. Taking his time to find a good spot, he sat down in the grass outside of the inn and watched the stars above. He did this every night, for it always seemed to calm his troubled mind. After a few moments, he looked down at his hooves, whispering to himself.

"...Father...what would you have done if you were in the same situation as I am...? No one knows of it yet...not even my own guard...but what can I do? A banished Prince can't do anything...nothing important. Oh, you should have seen what happened to Mother when you and Ironar left us...but I guess there is no point dwelling on it any further, is there? You told me of an ancient story about a peaceful land beyond ours...but what did you mean? The only clue you left me...well, you should know it. Still...I just wish I had your guidance. There are nights I have thought of ending my life, or disappearing into the vast jungles to the southwest...but what would that accomplish?"

Tears began to swell up in Silvan's eyes, as he sighed and lowered his head into his knees.

"...I wish you were here..."

Gallows muttered his thanks as Silvan left the room, frowning in deep thought for a long time as he lay in bed. At least, it was deep thought for him. Vast amounts of focus were put into dispeling the drunken fog on his brain so he could think straight. Since when do I need a kid's help to get up stairs? Am I getting old? Old... oh crud, what did I just say to Silvertongue? He's gonna hate me for that. Wait, no, Silvan. I was thinking about him. What was it he said about cleaning me up? Was I being patronized by a child? Sweet Astral Magus, I must look pathetic right now. When did this happen to me? Hmmm... The sleepy stallion shook his head to try to clear it but found the techinique ineffective. He could feel himself falling asleep but something nagged at him, something he didn't like. He looked around and spotted a washbasin full of cool water beside a mirror on the other side of the room. Perfect! A drink would fix his head!

Struggling (i.e. falling) out of bed, Gallows crawled across the floor to the basin. He lifted himself up on his hooves a bit to drink, leaning over the bowl, but then his hooves slipped without warning and his face fell straight into the water, tipping over the bowl and soaking himself in not cool, but cold water.

Gallows shot up to his hooves with a gasp, spraying water all over the room from his coat. His brain snapped to attention for a split second and that bad feeling finally came into focus. "Aw crap! I'm going soft!" He yelled. He glowered at the floor and started to pace, "I'm going soft with all this plush living. I need some dirt on my hooves again. Some mud in my mane, yeah. That's the ticket. But how? Where?" He rubbed a hoof on his chin and looked out the room's grimy window. He furrowed his brow and wiped away some of the dirt, then grinned and reered on his back hooves, clapping his forehooves together in joy. Outside and across the street was just what he needed; a filthy, atrocious old graveyard!

He quickly rearranged the blankets and pillows on his bed to make it look like there was somepony sleeping there, then rummaged in his saddlebags and brought out his trusty shovel. With some effort he got the window to open, "Yes! Fantastic! This'll do. Ah yes, this'll do perfectly! I'll just dig one little grave, maybe chat with the local keeper, then I'll be right as dirt!" Then he said the one thing any educated stallion would know never to say as he climbed out the window and trotted happily toward the cemetery, "What could possibly go wrong?"

He'd watched him closely all night, waiting for this moment. Silvan had left his guard as was now alone.

He listened in on what he assumed was a very personal outward monologue for the pegasus. Though standing in the open the Terror of Death rune allowed him to remain to undetected, combined with honed natural stealth skills he was hidden from both the natural senses and magical senses. He had the decency to allow Silvan to finish his self reflection before he revealed himself.

He seemed to emerge from the shadow as the magic that kept him hidden faded away.

"Silvan," he said, his eyes burning gold in the darkness. "We need to talk."

Silvan Dragoran

Prince of Ravens

Silvan stood up, appearing completely calm. On the contrary, he was actually the opposite. However, he had noticed the mysterious pony studying him in the inn, and was waiting for him to make the first move. He turned to the stranger and gave a sad smile, wiping his eyes.

"...I'll assume you heard all of that...it must be weird, seeing a Prince cry, right? Well...I guess I can do so, now that I am no longer in line for the Crystal Throne..."

He studied the stranger, wondering who he was, what he was doing here, and why this he had sought him out. Silvan knew that if this situation turned dangerous, Silvertongue would not be able to come to his aid...but he wasn't a push-over, and would be a dangerous opponent for him.

Midnight Moon, weary and thirsty from his training in The Howling Mountains with the monks, was treading along as he found a small and quiet village. It was around midnight and he needed a place to stay.

"Oh my, a village. I hope there's an Inn around here somewhere. I'm thirsty.." Said the Unicorn with a parched mouth.

He continued to delve into the village as he came across an Inn, The Grey Dragon.

"Wonderful. I could use a nice pint right now.." Midnight Moon quietly walked in the Inn.

The Inn was quiet, with nopony around but the Innkeeper, who greeted him.

"Aye welcome sir. Can I get ya' anythin'?"Asked the Innkeeper.

"Get me a pint please.. I certainly need one."

The Innkeeper patiently set up a pint for the weary looking Unicorn, who then quietly drank it. At one point he noticed somepony come down the stairs and leave, one that he would never expect to be in an Inn. The one who is known as Prince Silvan Dragoran.

Midnight Moon was now confused. He whispered to himself.

"Prince Dragoran? What could he possibly be doing at an Inn at this time? And shouldn't he be protected before leaving for somewhere?"

The Unicorn finished off his pint and paid for it. He was curious as to what the prince was doing and decided to spy on him.

"Take me to what you're up to, Silvan." Thought the sneaky Unicorn.

Cautiously and Quietly, he follows the prince and sticks to the quiet shadows of the village, where he didn't have to wait long until he overhears the prince talking about a mysterious pony he was looking for.

Midnight Moon gasped. He again whispered to himself. "So.. The prince is searching for a mysterious pony.. And who would tha-"

He was cut off whenever he saw a mysteriously dangerous looking pony come out of nowhere and was confronting the prince.

"Where on earth is Silvan's guard?" The unicorn questioned himself.

Whatever was about to happen, Midnight Moon was about to be caught in the middle of it..

He studied the prince for a moment before finally speaking up. "No, we are all fallible." He said. "Nopony is perfect." He stared into Silvan's eyes, sizing up the pony.

The revelation that he was no longer in line to a successor to the throne caught him off guard. "If what you say is true, what is your business out here and why does a Nightingale still accompany you?"

Soul Slasher held out his right front hoof and called out to his weapon. The grass around him began to wither and die, each blade turning brown then grey until it could do nothing but blow away in the wind. A long black pole materialized in front of Soul Slasher's hoof, dreadful energy flowed from the pole spreading dread across. The blade of his scythe materialize in a flash of golden fire, a cocaphony of tortured ghostly wails filled the air, everypony every felled by the blade song in concert. He leveled the terrible weapon at Silvan, ethereal wisps of grey smoke rose from the blade of the weapon in a constant ballet of trapped and mangled souls.

He sensed the same sincerity and purity from Silvan's soul that he did before when he studied him. To Soul Slasher, there was only one way to truly test the merits of one's heart though, his magical sense could be fooled, but the feelings shared between foes locked in mortal combat could never be falsified. The truth would not escape him.

"Call your blade." He said calmly.

A small, black stallion sat on one of the tombstones at the front of the graveyard, smoking on a pipe and relaxing, bathed in the moon's glow. He loved the nighttime, it was a time of wonder for him. Tonight was quiet, as every other night, and he always came out here to talk about his troubles to the corpses beneath the dirt. He didn't know why, but he felt like they were listening...perhaps they were, he thought with a grin. The ponies around here called him Odd One, or simply Shadow. Being a former Bloodhoof, he knew all about the peace of death and the troubles of life...and to get away from the Empire was one of the greatest things that happened to him. Suddenly, he heard a sound and his instincts kicked in, leaping from the tombstone and crouching, watching a dark figure approaching from the fog.

"Who goes there...? Is that you, Ivory? Maroon?"

Silvan Dragoran

Exiled Prince

Silvan watched the summoning of the blade with a mix of fascination and dread, his face becoming grim and cold. He didn't want to fight anyone...especially not a pony he had just met. But...if he must...then he will defend himself. He held out his hoof, calling for his own Aishanidari. He let out a sigh as the weapon's magical energy filled him, giving him sustenance and a sense of well-being.

"...awaken, Solari Kal'Kiri..."

The next instant, twin blades erupted into existence at his side, wrapping themselves around his hooves. They were curved and long, featuring emblazoned dragons on their blades and hilts. The black metal shined underneath the moonlight, giving shape as the edges became more sharp. The pair of magical scimitars then began to shift, and the sword's metal on his left warped, becoming a glittering white steel compared to the black of the other weapon. Both gave off powerful auras, each conflicting with the other.

"I don't want to fight...can't we simply talk this through? I've seen enough bloodshed in one life-time, thank you..."

His dark blue eyes focused onto the strange stallion, his muscles relaxing so that he'd be ready for any move he may make against him. He blinked again, confusion on his face once more. That last sentence...it wasn't his. It came from his lips, but...it wasn't his! What was going on?!

He could understand the prince's feelings, but Soul Slasher was a warrior. Words were hollow to him, in his heart he believed truth lay in battle.

"This...Is a battle of understanding," Soul Slasher said. "I don't seek to sate my blade's hunger, only to gather truths and test the purity of your soul." Both ponies eyed each other relaxed but ready for anything.

Soul Slasher studied Silvan's stance, the Prince was well learn, he could see that this fight would be fierce. He'd have to play to his strengths, unpredictably. He raised his scythe high and dashed forward, propelled by the powerful muscles sculpted through years of combat. He prepared a powerful strike as he flew forward causing his blade to pulse with bluish white wisps. He reached the prince, and stared into his eyes as he feed his opponent his feeling of murderous intent.

"You claim to no longer be a successor to the throne, what changed?!" he bellowed, his voice burning with the passion of battle. Soul Slasher brought his Scythe down on Silvan, but unbeknownst to the prince the attack was ethereal, the blade would simply pass through him doing no physical harm, a feint in a way.

Silvan Dragoran

Exiled Prince

Silvan nimbly leaped back away from the scythe's wicked edge, it missing his chest by a mere fraction of an inch. Keeping his eyes calmly on the attacker, he landed and changed his battle stance. Something itched at him...this pony had said he did not want to kill him, but why was he trying so hard to hit him? He had barely dodged that attack in surprise of the warrior's speed. He now knew not to underestimate this one...it could cost him his life. With the skills he had built up over the years, his eyes scanned for the scythe-wielder's weakest points, vulnerabilities to his stance. There was something wrong with this...

"What changed? What changed was that I was no longer the Empress' 'Perfect Colt', I showed mercy to my people, and she thought I was weak. I showed compassion to those who were in pain, and she thought I was weak...! I showed LOVE for my subjects, and she thought I was weak!"

Silvan was nearly shouting the last sentence when he dashed in, getting up close and then sliding in under the taller stallion's legs, slashing his blades upward in a cross-motion. His face was like a cold, empty mask, showing the composure of a veteran warrior.

Silvan's agility was spot on, as he dodged Soul Slasher's strike. Soul Slasher hadn't expected to contact anything anyway; however the dodge was impressive few had the skill to defend against his speed. Still he had cunning though.

"So the Empress' child disappoints and gets disowned because he shows compassion to those in his charge instead of stomping on them like maggots," Necrosa Timori's ghostly blade slid effortlessly into the earth where Silvan once stood. He allowed himself to be carried by the momentum as he called his weapon back into the plane of the living. "Those whose role is to nurture and lick our wounds often make the deepest cuts." he said in an understanding tone.

Soul Slasher had felt the cold sting of a parents betrayal, it was a thing that left a scar on ones very being...He could feel the passion in behind the Princes's words and knew them to be true.

The prince had taken the feint, with his weapon solid and plenty of forward momentum he could use it to pole vault over the incoming cross slash. Now on the other side of the charging prince and looking at his back side he shifted his weapon into the spirit plane again, "Troubled souls are chained to this word!" he declared as he ripped the ghost scythe from the ground calling up phantom chains to grab at the prince's legs. He landed on his back, as the chains sped toward Silvan, Soul Slasher lashed out with a wide slash from his scythe in an attempt to take the legs out from under his opponent.

"So if not for the Empire, why are you out here?" He yelled through a grunt. "Your stride has purpose, meaning, what do you seek?" He asked as both of his attacks closed in on Silvan.

Gallows hummed as he walked through the fog, feeling the squish of the grave dirt under his hooves. This place was already doing him good as he began to shiver a bit from the unnatural chill graveyards always seemed to attract. Ahh, he'd missed the chill of the dead. A shape moved up ahead, seeming to walk out of a grave.

"Who goes there...? Is that you, Ivory? Maroon?"

Gallows tilted his head to the side and squinted as he emerged from the fog to see a small black stallion crouching in front of a grave, watching him and smoking a pipe. He stopped and the two gravediggers eyed each other curiously. Gallows had his shovel resting over one shoulder and was about a head taller than Odd One, while the black stallion appeared to have a few years on the traveling gravedigger. There was a minute's pause, then Gallows smirked and pressed a hoof to his chest.

"Actually, I'm more of a navy blue. And what about you? You must be the local digger, or are you just a resident up for a walk? Can't say mine are that active, lazy bone-bags,"

The cemetery watchpony chuckled and Odd One grinned back at him, though he still watched the larger stallion like a hawk. "Nah, I'mma digger. Dead don't much care for exercise I suppose. Still wonderin' who you are though. Visitin' digger lookin' for work? Or maybe a friendly graverobber, lookin' for trinkets? Either way this is my cemetery and I'll not be lettin' ye tear it up without my say-so."

Gallows nodded in understanding, "Don't you worry yourself oldtimer. I'm no thief tonight; just a stallion missing his place of work." He swung his shovel off his shoulder and planted it on the ground, "Was kinda hoping I could dig a grave or two. Maybe carve a tombstone?" It was out in the open now. The descision was Odd's.

The small stallion thought for a moment then shrugged, "I don't see why not. Y'can dig a grave on the far side, near the inn proper," He pointed with a hoof toward just before the small clear space in front of the inn, "But if it's not finished by morning I'm fillin' it in again with you in it! Ha!"

Gallows barked a laugh s the stallion puffed on his pipe and turned to go, "All night to dig one grave? Ha! I can dig them faster than that with a broken leg."

Odd One turned his head and raised an eyebrow, "Is that so?"

Gallows grinned wolfishly and nodded, "I believe it is so, pipsqueak."

The gauntlet was thrown! Odd One turned and waked up to poke Gallows in the chest. He was pretty strong for a little guy! "A rune carved walkin' staff says I can dig more graves'n you before mornin' Blue."

Gallows smiled and extended a hoof, spitting on it, "You're on gramps." Now this was the way to live! Surrounded by the dead!

Odd One returned the gesture and they shook hooves with a squelch. He grinned crookedly up at Gallows, "May the best old coot win."

(Later that night)

Gallows was sweating hard now. Thoughts of a quick dig then bed had been replaced by the thrill of the contest. And Odd One had not been boasting. The little old stallion was chewing through dirt like a mole, but Gallows wasn't too shabby himself. Both had gotten through three graves now and were up to their necks in their fourth. Gallows was in the zone, throwing dirt and bugs and roots out of the hole with the single minded efficiency of a machine. So much so in fact he didn't notice Odd One trying to get his attention until he was bopped on the head with theold stallion's shovel. He looked up and craned his neck to see out of this grave, frowning over at Odd One. The black gravedigger was holding his shovel in one hoof, extended toward Gallows, while at the same time staring at the clearing before the inn. "What da' Hell?" He breathed.

Gallows followed his gaze and realized they were watching... SILVAN!? What in Coltara was the kid doing out here? And with a dangerous looking pegasus no less! The two of them seemed to be talking, which wasn't so bad, but then the pegasus reared up and- were those swords!? Where had those come from!? And sweet Magus, why did Silvan have swords too!? Odd One was right, what the Hell was going on!?

Gallows stood stock still, up to his neck in a grave and staring hard as the deadly scene unfolded. He knew enough that if he tried to intervine he'd be gutted before he could speak. What he didn't understand was why that thought ground at his nerves so much.

So, unable to do anything more and feeling a deep anger and terror at the thought, Gallows sat in his grave and watched as the fight unfolded.

Silvan Dragoran

Exiled Prince

Silvan's eyes bulged as the two attacks swerved in at him, and he struggled a bit, before realizing what was happening. So, with an enormous amount of effort he stared at the warrior as his scythe closed in. In that moment of eye contact, Silvan's internal thoughts and feelings were revealed, all coming out into the open as the scythe went through his body. His life as a child, his first fight, his first execution, his first war-briefing...it flowed out of him like a river. His pain, his despair at his life as an Imperial Prince showed. One event in particular was the burial of his father, the previous Emperor, and his brother, the former Prince of Ravens. At that time, he had already been taught to show no emotion, and all he could do was watch his loving father and older brother, the only two who ever showed him love and kindness besides Silvertongue, go into the cold ground beneath him, holding back the tears from his dangerous mother and manipulative sister. It was a scar in his heart and spirit that would pain him for the rest of his life, and at the end of it all, Silvan kept his eyes locked firmly on Soul's.

He felt everything on a level that could never truly be explained in words love and despair flooded Soul as the emotions became associated with with different words and images. In that moment he understood more about Silvan than any other pony he had let live. He saw his father,and his brother burials, felt the sadness and the disdain for his mother and sister. So much, it hit him hard, this was the first time Soul Slasher had used the Necrosa Tomori's power that way, but it was well worth it.

He lay there on his back on the grass, eyes locked with Silvan as the emotions associated with their lives flowed free. Soul Slasher dispelled the chains around Silvan's legs and sent his Aishanidari into the ether.

"I envy you," he said laying there on his back. "My father was a monster, and I know nothing of my mother." he said sadly, letting his mind wonder.

He mused on the subject, Silvan wasn't with the empire anymore, exiled his power was non existent. His heart was also pure, but strengthened by the acceptance of his faults and a life that knows pains. He had no reason to kill him.