(Everfree Forest) Chance Encounter (Finished)

Lux

(OOC: This is my IRL friend's first thread he's participating in and asked me to start it up. So give his character a big welcome!)

It was a perfect afternoon for practicing stunts in Sky Flare's mind. The sun was shining and the sky was clear of clouds thanks to the weather ponies in Cloudsdale. That meant that aside from avoidding another pegasus he had the sky free of obstructions.

"Awww yeah! Now to try something new."

The plan was simple: Fly down towards the Everfree Forest and when he was about to crash into the canopy he'd pull up. He could just see the look on the ponies' faces when he actually did this in an arena, He pulled his wings close to his body as he dove down towards the forest. All was going well as he prepared to pull up.

Then it happened...

A rogue crosswind sweeping over the forest caught Sky Flare as he pulled up, pushing the pony backwards and right into the canopy. Before he could think or recover, he was sommersaulting through the trees, hitting several branches as he fell. Finally with a loud thud he hit the ground.

"Ugh. That was bad," Sky said as he tried to stand up, struggling as he was still dazed by the fall, "I think I'm ok."

He unfurrled his wings and attempted to fly out of the forest when he fet a seering pain. Looking at his left wing it was bruised and a little bent. At best it was sprained. At worst it was broken.

"Not good," Sky said as he folded up his wings, "I can't fly out of here. Guess I have to walk out of here."

It was then he heard it: the howling in the distance that sent chills up his spine. It sounded like it was from all around him and getting closer.

"Oh no..."

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Flare amidst the howling heard the voice of another pony.

"What are you doing here," he said surprised before calming down. on one hoof he was glad to see a pony there, but on the other this pony was in danger as well.

"No, I'm not alright. I think something happened to my wing. Can you help me get out of here?"

More wolves howled in the distance, making Sky a little nervous.

"I think we should get going."

• 3 weeks later...

Sky noticed that there was another pony that had appeared out of the woods. For a forest that was noted to be somewhere where ponies didn't venture in even in groups, there were sure a few of them. There was something perplexing about this new pegasus. He talked about the timber wolves as if he knew their moves or what they were thinking.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Um... I'm not here to make fun of you. i kind of crash landed here and met you."[/colour]

The other pony then suggested moving to a castle. Sky heard of a castle ruins in the forest, but he never ventured to see it.

[colour=#FF8C00]"I guess it'll be better than being in the middle of nowhere. Then I can think about getting out of here."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Some distance away, Leafy Greene was working at the edge of a clearing, using his magic to manipulate a saw to cut lengths of a fallen tree for lumber. The faint sound of howling caused him to start in surprise and a bit of apprehension.

[colour=#008000]"Probably won't come this way... at least I hope not[/colour]," he muttered to himself, continuing to cut the tree.

Several moments later, he heard the sound of trotting hooves coming along the pathway.

[colour=#008000]"Hello? Is somepony there?" [/colour]he called.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Well, I came from the sky," [/colour]Sky Flare said as he pointed up at the canopy, [colour=#FF8C00]"I kind of had a little flying accident. Never try a triple loop with a 1080 spin during a crosswind."[/colour]

The white pegasus was surprised at what the blue pegasus had said. Live in the Everfree Forest? No pony lived there let alone just waltzed into the place. But here Sky had found not one but two ponies doing just that.

[colour=#FF8C00]"You're living in the Everfree? Not a good choice of places to stay if you ask me."[/colour]

Then when the blue pony mentioned a sound he heard, Sky looked around. At first he heard nothing apart from the timberwolves still howling in the distnce. Then he could have sworn he heard a voice from another pony, one not with him. Shaking it off as just his nerves, Sky continued with the others until he heard a strange sound.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Is that sawing?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#008000]"Well..." [/colour]replied Leafy,[colour=#008000] "If you don't mind traveling, Ponyville's about two days that way along that path. Or if you're looking for something a bit closer, and don't get spooked too easily, there's some ruins of a castle a bit the other direction... Or you're welcome to camp here with me while i finish cutting this lumber."[/colour]

Leafy looked at the ponies who had come to where he was working, then at the extent of his campsite. Piles of cut lengths of logs were lined up to dry and season before they could be cut into useable lumber, sawdust from the cutting magically gathered and bagged for sale by his family resting in a pile beneath a tarp to protect and keep it dry, and a tent and fly pitched off to the side and out of the way. It would be crowded with the new guests unless he could pitch another temporary dwelling space.

[colour=#008000]"Make yourselves comfortable while I figure out where to put y'all,"[/colour] he said. [colour=#008000]"This might take a while..."[/colour]

Concentrating on a group of saplings off to one side, Leafy directed his magical talent and began to shape them to support a large tarp. His horn glowed a pale green as the saplings stretched and bent, slowly forming a dome shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Having followed the other two pegasus ponies, Sky Flare came upon the source of the sawing noise. It was a unicorn who was cutting timber and piling it into stacks of boards.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Thanks. It looks like it's getting kind of dark,, so trying to get to Ponyville might not be such a good idea. By the way, my name's Sky Flare. What's you names?"[/colour]

• 4 weeks later...

Leafy paused in his tree-shaping, judging the saplings had grown and moved sufficiently. [colour=#008000]"That ought ta do,"[/colour] he announced, then levitated a tarp over the shaped sapling to form a shelter. [colour=#008000]"My name's Leafy Greene, and if y'all can wait a few minutes, I see to growin' some dinner for y'all."[/colour] His horn glowed again as he concentrated, and a nearby apple tree burst into bloom. Moments later, the blooms began to fall away, and tiny green apples swelled into being.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Storybooks patient waiting for an answer was cut short by a rustling inthe bushes, after a few seconds a large rat appeared and scaled up to Symphony's back.

"Ah, this is my friend, Treble Cleff, Treble meet the three fine ponies stuck in the everfree."

The rat tapped on storybooks head.

"Yes I know Treble, I was trying to be polite, you should too."