The Curious Case of the Missing Saddlebag (Davroth, Invite Only)

RarityDash

Life was funny sometimes. At times it could be so laughably simple and unbearably routine, at others a confusing, incoherent mess that was impossible to figure out. For Radiant Steel, fresh faced private with REA Garrison force, it could so very frequently be both at the same time. Perhaps the pegasus just had an unfortunate habit of over-thinking everything, but despite having been for all accounts tethered her whole life to the same few names, faces, locations and expectations Radiant found that she so often just couldn't quite piece it all together.

The introduction of new pieces to the puzzle could only make things more confusing. She had met Seeker in the Whitetail Woods. She had helped him find and rescue his dog Blacky. Helping ponies was part of her job description; she honestly wouldn't have expected it to go beyond that initial encounter. Seeker had had different ideas though; in reward for her help, he had prepared for her a spectacular. Following that the two ponies had went with Blacky to the park to spend the evening enjoying one another's company.

Radiant still wasn't sure how to feel about what had happened. That's not to say a lot did happen-- the day was about as relaxing as was imaginable. A number of Radiant's fellow soldiers and even her own brother had labeled it a "date" though, and Radiant wasn't entirely sure that wasn't the right word-- dating wasn't something the mare was all together familiar with. The events had kind of felt like she had imagined dates to feel though, and regardless it had been an entirely pleasant experience for her. If nothing else, Seeker (and Blacky) could now be counted among the select few Radiant considered friends.

The mare just wasn't sure how to feel about this beyond that. The sun was on the rise and she was standing at the main entrance to the city of Canterlot wearing her golden armor. A night had passed and now Seeker was to leave. She was to see him off that morning. Was that is? Was this to just be a fleeting encounter, something of which nothing became? Radiant didn't know for certain, and somehow not knowing left her feeling kind of empty. What happened next? Anything? Or was it just back to the same routine, the pony she had spent the previous evening with gone to only be a memory in her head?

The mystery of it all hung heavy with her, but in that moment she supposed it didn't really matter all that much. She was here to see Seeker off. When it came to whatever it was that might happen after that, she'd just have wait and see. She'd deal with it all as it came.

Sitting in his inn room, Seeker stared blankly at his saddle bags. Seeker was lying in the corner, watching his owner out of keen eyes. His animal instincts told him that the grey unicorn stallion was in some kind of personal turmoil, though what it caused he was completely oblivious to. Funnily enough, Seeker wasn't entirely sure himself. Usually, when he found a new lead, the stallion was ecstatic, and absolutely anxious to leave. Today, though, he just sat there, uncertain what to do. And the only thing really different was the last day.

His parents had raised him with a lot of different moral values, something that he upheld all his life. And one of those values was never owing anything to anyone. And as such, Seeker never left a place until every debt was paid. And the guard mare Radiant Steel had practically saved his best friend's life, which was something the former desert nomad couldn't just let slide. This had to be a phenomenal reward, and judging by yesterday's dinner, and the evening in the park, it had been a success. Something Seeker couldn't have anticipated, though, was how attached he had grown to the white pegasus mare.

On the one hoof, he didn't want to leave. Maybe he could just stay for a few more days? Surely whatever was waiting for him at his next destination wouldn't just grow legs and run away. He could take a break. Maybe a few weeks? A month? On the other hoof, he hadn't gotten this far by putting his studies off. No, he couldn't stay. It would just draw out his inevitable departure. He stood up, shaking his head involuntarily. Blacky instantly stood to attention, waggling his tail excitedly. The city wasn't the place for a big dog like him.

As they reached the outskirts of Canterlot, Seeker slowed his trot. Up ahead, he saw the white guard mare. He waved as she saw them, smiling happily. Blacky couldn't be held any more, either. He ran ahead, stopping inches in from of the pegasus, and jumping on the spot. As he came closer, Blacky saw she was wearing her shining, golden armor. In fact, she looked a lot like she did the day she had accused him of theft. Come to think of it, he hadn't even thought about it for the last few weeks. The health of his dog had overwritten every other thought, and then he was too busy doing his research and preparing Radiant Steel's surprise.

Seeker reached the city entrance, smiling even more brightly then before, but heart sinking a little. This was it, he would have to say his goodbyes now.

"Good morning, Miss Radiant Steel." He began. "I'm happy you could come take a leave of Blacky and me."

"Good morning, Miss Radiant Steel. I'm happy you could come take a leave of Blacky and me."

Radiant smiled widely at the sound of the stallion's voice. That was at least until she realized she was probably smiling too widely. She then tried to staunch her expression and take on a more dour and serious expression. She approached Seeker and Blacky slowly and then gave a small laugh as she playfully pet the dog with her hoof.

"I wouldn't miss it," she said, nodding to the stallion. "After the kindness you extended to me yesterday... seeing you and Blacky off this morning is the least I can do."

She let more of her smile show as she continued to look toward him. "I'm glad we met," she said quietly, but with a depth of emotion behind it. "I hope we are to meet again soon."

Seeker shuffled his hooves a little nervously. He wasn't good at saying goodbyes. In fact, he usually tried to just leave at night, while everypony was sleeping, to avoid just that. But this time, he just couldn't bring himself to leave without saying anything. So here he was, in front of him the foothills, and the heartland, and, behind the mountains, his home, the Painted Pinto Desert. Provided he could make the first step.

"I'm glad we met. I hope we are to meet again soon."

"Oh, definitely!" He said, maybe a little too enthusiastically as was called for. He continued a little meeker: "I mean.. I'd like that very much, Miss Radiant Steel. I'm sure my way will lead me back to Canterlot." He laughed a little nervously. "There's still so many books I haven't checked for leads yet.."

"And I'm sure Blacky looks forward to see you again, don't you boy?" And like a response, the black shepherd dog jumped up and down excitedly, panting happily.

"Oh, definitely! I mean.. I'd like that very much, Miss Radiant Steel. I'm sure my way will lead me back to Canterlot. There's still so many books I haven't checked for leads yet.."

Radiant nodded at these remarked and found a wider smile. Yeah. He'd be back. She was sure of it. His great journey was bound to lead him back this way in time. This was not the end of anything.

"And I'm sure Blacky looks forward to see you again, don't you boy?"

The pegasus mare let out a laugh as the black dog made his excitement fully known. Blacky really was a good dog. She had really just been doing what came naturally for a guard in her position back in that forest, but looking at the dog now, she was glad she had been there that night to help find him.

"That really means a lot, Blacky," she said, speaking to the dog. "Hopefully the next encounter will be sooner rather than later."

She gave a small sigh and looked back over toward Seeker. "All the same, I really hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck," she said, smiling toward the unicorn and thinking back to what he had shown him the previous evening. She didn't know where his travels would take him, but she hoped that it was to success.

"And by the time I return to Canterlot, you will be closer to your dream to guard the exalted one herself." He said with a confident smile. "I'm sure of it."

Seeker whistled sharply, Blacky standing instantly to attention. The grey stallion adjusted his goggles, although they weren't really necessary when traversing the Heartland, but it would have felt weird to him by that point not to use them. He turned to the mare with her shining, golden armour, and smirked. "Until next time, Miss Radiant Steel."

He began to trot through the gate, still looking back to the gate and waving, then, once he had lost sight of the white pegasus, he went into full gallop, hurrying towards his next destination. He'd make a quick stop in Ponyville, then taking the direct route to Appleloosa.

(Exit Seeker & Blacky)

---

OHbLT.png

Milky Quartz was in trouble. Again. Not that she was completely innocent of it in general. She wasn't above nipping a couple of bits, or grab a couple of apples or an alfalfa sandwich when nopony was looking, but never anything serious. Never anything big, just enough to keep her stomach from rumbling. She had learned the hard way that finding honest work here in the heartland was far more difficult for a drifter then it was around the desert. She'd love to just go back there, but she couldn't yet. Not if she wanted to find her mother.

"Hold her! Thief!! Someone call the guard!" Just a bite to eat. That's all she wanted in peace. She even had the bits to pay for it, for once. But that wasn't going to happen today.

Milky stumbled out of a door, followed by a couple 'concerned citizens'. They tried to grab hold of her, but thankfully, there was no Pegasus among them, so she just took to the sky, looking back at them worriedly. She knew she hadn't done anything, but who would listen to her? She was just some desert dweller far away from home. Nopony, that's who. Better just hide and hope for this thing to blow over, and just tread even more carefully from now on.

"And by the time I return to Canterlot, you will be closer to your dream to guard the exalted one herself. I'm sure of it."

Radiant smiled weakly. She didn't have enough confidence in herself to agree with him. She was still a nopony guard without any real accomplishments. She wasn't going to be guarding Celestia herself anytime soon. Not with her meager, empty record. For her father, for her brother, climbing the adder had been quick and easy. She wasn't sure she'd ever come that far. No, Seeker would find his destiny, but her life was sure to continue to stand still like always.

"Until next time, Miss Radiant Steel."

The pegasus kept her smile as she nodded to the unicorn and his faithful dog. "Yes, until we meet again!" she called, waving her hoof as the two began to trot through the gate and out into what lie beyond. She kept waving until the two were so far she could see them no longer.

Sighing, the young pegasus than turned from the gates and began to trot off. Her night guard shift was long since over. She had no real plans beyond heading home, taking off her armor and getting some rest. She certainly wasn't looking for any trouble. She wasn't looking for anything. Her mind was still fully on Seeker.

"Hold her! Thief!! Someone call the guard!"

The shout from nearby hit her ears immediately. A thief? Where? Last time she had chased a thief it had lead her into the forest where she met Seeker and Blacky. Could this be the same thief? She jumped up and let her wings propel her ahead in the direction from which the call had been heard. She didn't get very far before she caught sight of a pegasus flying up as fast as she could. She had to be the thief.

Radiant gave chase, pushing herself ahead as fast as she could after the white pegasus mare. She wasn't going to let another thief get away from her. No, she was going to catch this pony. She was going to apprehend her. There was nothing that could stop her from the accomplishment.

"Halt, thief! It ends here! You cannot escape the Guard!" she shouted out loudly, as she started to gain on the fleeing mare.

OHbLT.png

A guard. Not only a guard, though, a pegasus guard. Milky looked back at her, and to her dread, the guards mare got closer fairly quickly. A quick look told her that she was a little smaller then her persuader, but she was wearing what looked like standard issue guard armour the desert mare had seen many times while she was travelling the heartlands. It looked heavy. Maybe she would be able to outmanoeuvre her.

The great metropolis of Canterlot, for those without the ability to fly, presented itself as a network of streets and small alleyways, but for pegasi, it was a different story. The towers of the city rose like pillars into the sky, making it easy to loose sight of other flying creatures. Milky flew as fast as she could, and tried to fake out the guards mare on her tail. Big wings may make you fast, but it always came at the cost of some agility.

The desert dweller did her best trying to loose her persuader, and floated behind one of the bigger towers to catch her breath, just below a window, hopefully out of sight on the guards mare in the shining armour.

Radiant chased after the mare through the skies of Canterlot. This mare was smaller than Radiant, which leant to her agility as she zipped around the city. The guardsmare was committed though; she was totally caught up in her pursuit. She wasn't going to let this pony get away from her for anything. She needed this victory! Her burning desire put a fire beneath her wings and pushed her ever closer to the thief.

This was a sharp mare though. She used her size and her surroundings to her advantage. Time and again she tried to fake Radiant out and lose her, but the guard was at her sharpest. Her eyes were wide open and seeking out the deception. Still, even as she never lost the miscreant, she was failing to close in on her. She was proving too slippery and reacting to every little trick and motion was proving difficult.

She wasn't sure how to proceed when suddenly she noticed the mare had slipped out of her sight right around a particularly large tower. There were any number of ways to fly from there, and the pegasus considered a number of them as probable at first. That was, until she got a better idea. if this pony had made a break for it in any outward direction she would have noticed. No, she was doing what she had been doing for a while now, trying to hide. Quickly Radiant darted downward and behind the toward. Sure enough, there she was right in front of a window.

[colour=#ff0000]"That's more than far enough! This ends here!"[/colour] Radiant called out, as she flew right up to the pony. [colour=#ff0000]"Come quietly for I will have no choice but to subdue you by force!"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

OHbLT.png

[colour=#ffa500]'Horseapples, she's quick'[/colour] Milky grumbled as the white pegasus caught up with her. She considered her options. She could come with her quietly. She knew she didn't do something wrong, at least she was pretty sure. She could try and fight her, but she already noticed that this guards mare looked not only well trained and armoured, she was also a good bit taller then she was. Maybe not the best option. Or she could just try to flee again. Yes, that sounded like the best option. Milky didn't really trust the judicial system outside her home. She had had bad, previous experiences with the Sheriff of Appleloosa, and she had her doubts that she would fair any better here, in Canterlot.

She had tried to fake out this guard in the shining armour before, with little success. But she still had a few tricks up her sleeve. The sun was bright, and almost behind her peruser. It put her in a disadvantage, strictly speaking. However, she wasn't anything if not crafty. She had to be smart about it, though. [colour=#ffa500]"Okay, I give in.."[/colour] Milky raised her forelegs, like she was giving in to the guard's order. but as she did, she shifted her head, so that the goggles resting on her head reflected the sunlight into the guard's eyes. She just waited for the moment she would flinch. There!

Making the most of here opening, Milky dove below the white pegasus, and tried to dart towards the next tower. With any luck, she's be able to make her escape.

[colour=#FFA500]"Okay, I give in.."[/colour]

Radiant smiled at these words. Sure, she liked to get out her aggression sometimes, but it was better when they just gave up and came quietly. It was better for them too; they stood a fairer shake at getting off easy when they cooperated. She hovered toward the other pony, who had her front legs extended, slowly, rather to apprehend her.

[colour=#ff0000]"Excellent. I'm glad you understand the position you--" [/colour]the pegasus cut her words off suddenly as a movement of the other mare's head sent a blinding light into her eyes. She winced and recoiled for a second, and as it were this was all the other pony needed. She made a sudden dive under as the guardsmare recovered.

[colour=#ff0000]"Blasted thief! How dare you!"[/colour] Radiant shouted as she quickly dove after the pony. She wasn't going to let this momentary hiccup stop her from making the capture. She wasn't going to let any common thief make a fool of her.

[colour=#ff0000]"You won't escape!"[/colour] Radiant added in a shout as she continued her pursuit, flying hot on the pony's trail as she made her way for the next tower.

OHbLT.png

Milky heard the guard raging behind her, and taking up pursuit far quicker then she had anticipated. She had fled from a lot of places before. Taverns, caves, entire towns. Often times she'd been chased by Pegasi, and once even by, what he believed, has been a Griffon. But this one was especially tenacious. This diversion had never failed before, and Milky turned her head to see where the guardsmare was... Just long enough to fly into a high hanging banner that had come out of nowhere.

After a short struggle, the white Pegasus mare realized that she was hopelessly stuck. So she just hung there, entangled in fabric, waiting for the mare in the shiny armour to catch up with her. [colour=#ffa500]"Alright, alright..."[/colour] She said, with a sigh. [colour=#ffa500]"I give in, really this time."[/colour] She tried to raise her forelegs, which only resulted in her suddenly hanging upside down, and very uncomfortable.

[colour=#FFA500]"Alright, alright... [/colour][colour=#FFA500]I give in, really this time."[/colour]

Radiant smiled at her fortune. Luck rarely was on her side, and yet here it was. Just as she was giving chase, the thief had found herself tangled up in a hanging banner. She was caught. Not trickery would win her escape now. As the criminal hung upside down from the fabric, Radiant knew she had won.

[colour=#ff0000]"Heh. Doesn't look like you have much choice here, does it?" [/colour]Radiant said, as she flew up to remove not the pony from the banner but the banner from where it hung. She let the still dangling mare fall a distance before swooping down and catching the cloth with her teeth, then flying down to the ground with it and the pony caught within it.

[colour=#ff0000]"Robbery is a serious crime, and it will demand a serious punishment. You will accompany me to the guard station where you will face jailing,"[/colour] Radiant said, matter of fact. [colour=#ff0000]"Now, come along. I don't want to have to drag you there, but I will if need be,"[/colour] she added, tugging at the banner, still tied to one of the pony's hooves.

• 4 weeks later...

OHbLT.png

The pegasus struggled in the cloth wrapped around him. That's what she had feared. She didn't expect anything else from the ponies of the heartland.

[colour=#ffa500]"I didn't steal anything! But I'm not surprised. Someone misses his personal belongings, and of course it was the foreigner. I've met your type before..." [/colour]She said, narrowing her eyes. This situation reminded her a lot of the Sheriff. Sure, she had stolen before. Food, a few bits here and there... but only to survive. And with time, she learned how to earn honest bits, but it didn't change anything. She was still eyed with distrust. Milky had hoped to leave all that behind when she traveled to the heartland, but it was no use. It was always the same.

[colour=#ffa500]"Tell me, if I'm the thief, shouldn't I have whatever got stolen still on me?"[/colour] She stared at the golden guard mare defiantly. She might not have grown up in this society, but that didn't mean she would just sit back and have the justice system roll over her.

[colour=#FFA500]"I didn't steal anything! But I'm not surprised. Someone misses his personal belongings, and of course it was the foreigner. I've met your type before..." [/colour]

Radiant shot a fierce glare at the other pegasus mare as she gave this line. [colour=#ff0000]"You actually expect me to fall for that line? Everypony who breaks the law says they're innocent! I've heard it all before, and despite what you might assume, I'm not some simple foal!"[/colour] she barked before tugging hard at the claw. Honestly, this pony was going to try and deny it now? How ridiculous! Did she honestly think she'd get away with that?

[colour=#ff0000]"You flew from the scene with someone shouting 'thief'. Moreover you made desperate attempts to elude pursuit, flagrantly resisting arrest! If you're an innocent mare with nothing to hide, you're sure as hay not acting like one!"[/colour] she continued to offer harsh words to the mare, her scowl deepening.

[colour=#FFA500]"Tell me, if I'm the thief, shouldn't I have whatever got stolen still on me?"[/colour]

Radiant stopped at this sudden question. [colour=#ff0000]"Well, don't you? Let me see everything you have currently on your pony!" [/colour]she asked, looking the mare over. She honestly didn't know what had been stolen. Pursuit of this mare had been more immediate than waiting around to collect a report of the situation. The mare didn't seem to have much of value on her by appearance though.

[colour=#ff0000]"And even if you don't have it on you, that doesn't mean you didn't stash it somewhere along the way!" [/colour]she added, her voice remaining fierce and commanding. She couldn't be wrong about this mare's guilt. She wouldn't let herself be!

• 3 weeks later...

OHbLT.png

[colour=#ffa500]"So you did hear them calling me a thief and pointing their hooves at me?"[/colour] She snarled. This was painfully reminiscent of every run-in she had had with the sheriff. [colour=#ffa500]"This wouldn't be the first I was wrongly accused."[/colour] She sighed resigned. It looked like she had no choice but to follow this overzealous guard mare and see if she would be able to proof her innocence. To be fair, she had been found to be innocent most of the time. And when she had been found guilty, she usually had been able to wiggle her way out of prison. Most of her crimes had been minor offences anyway. Stealing a couple of apples because she was so hungry, mostly. It was a difficult habit to break.

[colour=#ffa500]"As you just said, I fled right when ponies started calling me a thief. When would I have stashed away whatever I'm supposed to have stolen?" [/colour]She looked at the guardsmare. [colour=#ffa500]"You've been behind my tail the entire time after all."[/colour]

[colour=#FFA500]"So you did hear them calling me a thief and pointing their hooves at me? [/colour][colour=#FFA500]This wouldn't be the first I was wrongly accused. [/colour][colour=#FFA500]As you just said, I fled right when ponies started calling me a thief. When would I have stashed away whatever I'm supposed to have stolen? [/colour][colour=#FFA500]You've been behind my tail the entire time after all."[/colour]

The mare continued to protest her innocence. That was normal though, wasn't it? No one actually admitted to a crime! Radiant shook her head. She may have been inexperienced, but she really wasn't stupid. She wasn't going to fall for a thief's trickery. This was a matter of loyalty! For princess and country she would not let this criminal offender get away with her foul deeds.

[colour=#ff0000]"Accusations follow the guilty,"[/colour] Radiant said steadfastly. [colour=#ff0000]"And if innocent, why so desperate to flee the scene? Why so adamant to escape arrest?"[/colour]

The matter of where the stolen goods were was one that required more thought. Radiant didn't actually have quite as strong logic on this point, but there were still explanations. Perhaps she had dropped it off somewhere along the way? There had been at least a few times during the chase where Radiant had lost the mare for a few moments. Maybe she had taken advantage of her spare seconds to drop it somewhere or maybe even pass it off to an accomplice. Anything was possible.

[colour=#ff0000]"As for not having it on your possession, that doesn't guarantee anything from where I'm standing,"[/colour] Radiant huffed. [colour=#ff0000]"If you're really so innocent as you prove I'm going to need incontrovertible proof!"[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

OHbLT.png

[colour=#ffa500]"Fine!" [/colour]The white mare sighed in annoyance. [colour=#ffa500]"We will do it your way, Miss Guard's Mare."[/colour]

Milky knew she hadn't done anything. At least nothing related to the tavern she had fled from. But then again, guards had a way of finding you to be guilty of something, no matter how obscure it seems at the time. Ultimately, there would be a situation where her word would be put up against the word of some 'honourable citizen' and guess on who's side the law would come down? But then again, her best chance was probably to try and do her best to find out what really happened. No word by no trustworthy individual would be able to hold up against cold, hard evidence.

[colour=#ffa500]"Do what you have to do, I'll follow you back to the scene of the crime. I suppose you need to know what I'm accused of, don't you?" [/colour]She said snidely. She had been far too many times in this exact situation to not be cynical about it.[colour=#ffa500] "Lead the way, Miss Guard's Mare."[/colour]

[colour=#FFA500]"Fine! [/colour][colour=#FFA500]We will do it your way, Miss Guard's Mare. [/colour][colour=#FFA500]Do what you have to do, I'll follow you back to the scene of the crime. I suppose you need to know what I'm accused of, don't you? [/colour][colour=#FFA500]Lead the way, Miss Guard's Mare."[/colour]

Radiant scowled. This pony just had to be difficult, didn't she? That was to be expected from a criminal though. If they knew how to be reasonable, they wouldn't be on the wrong side of the law. Proper procedure was to take the perpetrator straight away back to a guard station so that they could be jailed. She didn't see this frustrating mare, who insisted to go back to the crime scene allowing that though. What was the harm in it though? This mare had to be guilty. Taking her back to the scene would only confirm the fact. It would give her her definitive proof which she needed to make the arrest.

[colour=#ff0000]"Very well. Have it your way then,"[/colour] Radiant said through a huff. [colour=#ff0000]"We'll head back there and hear it all straight from the accuser."[/colour]

She untied the mare's hooves, still glaring at her scrupulously. [colour=#ff0000]"You better follow closely now, and if you even think of trying to make a break for it, by Celestia, I'll make sure you regret it!"[/colour] she snapped before taking to wing, intent to make her way back to where this had started.

• 1 month later...

OHbLT.png

Milky Quartz had come to the conclusion that the only way for her to get out of this situation was to find the real culprit. This was by far not the first time this happened to her. First, in Appleloosa, she had always been under suspicion when something went missing, and when it was about missing apples, they were usually right to suspect her. But ultimately, nothing could ever be pinned on her, and really, she only stole apples when there was no other food available. But regardless, it became a little annoying, and ultimately, just more incentive to leave that place for good.

She followed the guard's mare in the shining armor. Obviously she wouldn't trust her, unless the evidence clearly pointed in a different direction. But then again, Milky was good at getting out of sticky situation, even if they had been her own fault. So surprisingly, she was convident she could get out of this.

She spread her wings and noticed that they were kinda strained from her crash earlier. She decided to just walk instead.

[colour=#ffa500]"Ugh, you'll have to lead the way. I don't think I've ever been in this part of Canterlot, and I don't think my wings would carry me at the moment."[/colour] She added with an annoyed sigh.

[colour=#FFA500]"Ugh, you'll have to lead the way. I don't think I've ever been in this part of Canterlot, and I don't think my wings would carry me at the moment."[/colour]

Radiant looked back at the words and gave a sigh. She couldn't fly? Ugh. That made this more of a pain. The chase had taken them quite far away from the. Getting all the way back there on foot would be a pain. Furthermore, if this pony somehow wasn't the culprit, it would give the real culprit plenty of time to get far, far away. How frustrating. Giving a disapproving grunt, she flew back down to her hooves.

[colour=#ff0000]"Fine! Have it your way. We walk," [/colour]she said through a huff. [colour=#ff0000]"Though if I find out you're only doing this to give your accomplice time to get away with the goods, I will make you personally regret it!"[/colour]

The mare stomped her hooves and began to move at a pace somewhere between a trot and a canter. [colour=#ff0000]"Come along now. We move!"[/colour] she snapped back.

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#ff8c00]"I don't enjoy walking any more then you do." [/colour]She sighed, as the guards mare clearly didn't take lightly to her injury. It was to be expected. What did the pegasus in the shining armour care that a potential criminal was hurt? But Milky couldn't help it. She had crashed pretty badly, and probably wouldn't fly for while. In fact, she would have continued her escape if it hadn't been for her strained wing. But that was not an option right now.

Determined to not turn this into a complete waste of time, she decided to try and make some conversation while they walked.[colour=#ffa07a] [/colour][colour=#ff8c00]"I'm Milky Quartz. I'm sure you need to know that when you want to throw me into the dungeon."[/colour] She said, working very hard to hide the frustration in her voice, instead going for a resigned, matter-of-fact tone of voice. [colour=#ff8c00]"And who are you? I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to ask the name of the guard who arrests me, even if I'm not really familiar with the law of the Heartland."[/colour]

She trotted on, following the guard on hoof. Trying to escape from a pegasus on hoof was impossible, she knew from experience. However, she knew she was innocent. She hadn't laid hoof on anyone's belonging ever since she entered Canterlot. And even before nothing that amounted to more then the odd apple here and there. Nothing she could be really condemned for, seeing how she travelled on a non-existent budget. And probably, if she had asked nicely, she might have even gotten a single apple for free here and there. But her pride wouldn't allow for that, so she instead relied on the good, old single hoof discount.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Let's just hope the real thief is dumb enough not to flee..."[/colour] She mumbled under her breath.

[colour=#FFA07A]"I don't enjoy walking any more then you do. I'm Milky Quartz. I'm sure you need to know that when you want to throw me into the dungeon."[/colour]

Radiant glowered at the other mare disdainfully. Milky Quartz, huh? Aside from being a criminal, it was all too apparent that this mare was smug and arrogant, convinced that she knew all. How insufferable. Radiant wasn't looking forward to enduring her complacent attitude. Again she wished they could just fly back and speed this up. She was never so lucky as that though.

[colour=#FFA07A]"And who are you? I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to ask the name of the guard who arrests me, even if I'm not really familiar with the law of the Heartland."[/colour]

The guardsmare sighed. Her prisoner wanted her name, huh? Well, she supposed there was no harm in giving it. She gave a huffed stopped rigidly in place.

[colour=#ff0000]"Private Radiant Steel of the REA Garrison Force!"[/colour] she started forcibly, ending on a firm nod. [colour=#ff0000]"Not that knowing that will get you anything,"[/colour] she added with contempt.

[colour=#FFA07A]"Let's just hope the real thief is dumb enough not to flee..."[/colour]

It was quiet and mumbled, but Radiant had good ears. She shook her head. This mare was unreal. Did she really think Radiant a fool? She wasn't going to weasel her way out of her clear guilt. It would take clear proof to throw Radiant off, and right now all the evidence pointed to this incorrigible mare.

[colour=#ff0000]"You had better hope there is something on the scene to prove your story," [/colour]she said with a laugh.

Milky sighed resignedly. Tough one, this guards mare. Not to mention already completely convinced that she was guilty. It was kinda annoying.

[colour=#ff8c00]"You don't seem at all concerned about proofing my guilt... As I said, I don't know much about the laws of the heartland, but isn't the basis of most justice systems "innocent until proven otherwise"?"[/colour]

She trotted on, growing tired quickly by the monotony of groundlevel Canterlot. They were probably half way back, when she thought about it. Still a lot of walking ahead of her, she thought gloomly.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Not to mention that you make a lot of assumptions based on that I fled from ponies who tried to restrain me against my will. Where I come from, you don't just pin a pony to the ground without a good reason..."[/colour]

She sighed again. Obviously this wouldn't lead anywhere with that mare, that Radiant Steel. She was one of those guards. Milky's only consolation was that she's most likely have to eat her words once they found the real culprit.

[colour=#FF8C00]"You don't seem at all concerned about proofing my guilt... As I said, I don't know much about the laws of the heartland, but isn't the basis of most justice systems "innocent until proven otherwise"? [/colour][colour=#FF8C00]Not to mention that you make a lot of assumptions based on that I fled from ponies who tried to restrain me against my will. Where I come from, you don't just pin a pony to the ground without a good reason..."[/colour]

Radiant gave a long sigh as they continued to walk. This mare was really pushing this idea of her innocence. She was so loud that Radiant was actually starting to open up to the slim possibility that it was the truth, not that she would ever admit as much. No, she did her best to remain stalwart in her convictions that this mare was guilty and this was just an elaborate last ditch attempt to escape judgement. Radiant couldn't allow that.

[colour=#ff0000]"Prudent judgement is the foundation of the Guard, but we are never naïve. If we were to release everypony who made a claim at innocence, do you think justice would ever be served?"[/colour] Radiant started rigidly as she continued along, eager to get back to the destination.

[colour=#ff0000]"It may be "innocent until proven guilty", but as I see it all the "proof" is pointing to the latter at the moment," [/colour]she said forcibly. [colour=#ff0000]"If you want to cast off suspicion, you're going too need to find something to point to that changes the story I'm seeing here. Right now, I just don't see it."[/colour]