Why do people say that Rainbow Dash is a lesbian?

Leon K Fox

Okay, I want to say right off the bat, I apologise if the subject matter of this thread is a tad too mature for this forum, and if it is then I understand if the thread is locked or removed.

However, assuming it isn't I have to discuss something that is REALLY bugging me as of late. Now I am by no means homophobic (the polar opposite actually) but it downright astounds me whenever I hear people ask if Rainbow Dash is a lesbian, or outright claims she is one. I for one saw her as a typical tomboy, and while she's not the most feminine of characters by any stretch of the imagination, I find the insinuation that tomboyish = lesbian absurd, unless I'm missing something here. A tomboy is not automatically or necessarily a lesbian, and to assume as such is nothing short of stereotyping, plain and simple. I asked a friend who watches the show and all I got was "You're just being unobservant again!" which makes this bug me even more. Are people basing it just on her tomboyish non gender conforming nature or is there something else that's gone right over my head?

Any input you guys have would be very interesting to hear, assuming this thread isn't locked :)

I'm pretty sure it's just people being stereotypical. Since Rainbow Dash tom boyish, has a cool hairstyle, and rainbow hair, she's stereotyped as lesbian.

That's more or less what I've been thinking. You could use similar logic to argue that another one of Lauren Faust's characters, Buttercup (from The Powerpuff Girls) is a lesbian as well and I've never heard anyone say she's one...so why Rainbow Dash?

I'm pretty sure it's just people being stereotypical. Since Rainbow Dash tom boyish, has a cool hairstyle, and rainbow hair, she's stereotyped as lesbian.

That's more or less what I've been thinking. You could use similar logic to argue that another one of Lauren Faust's characters, Buttercup (from The Powerpuff Girls) is a lesbian as well and I've never heard anyone say she's one...so why Rainbow Dash?

Because I don't think the LGBT community was as prominent when PPG came out.

Thing is, when I was a kid, I never heard the words homosexual, lesbian, or gay. They weren't part of my families vocabulary. But now, my young brother and sisters know what homosexuality is, because people have stopped hiding the fact that they are gay/lesbian, and it's becoming more accepted in society. You wouldn't really see that 10-15 years ago.

Again I can understand that, but at the same time you'd think the same modern generation would look back at Buttercup and say "Wow...she must be a total lesbian!" based on the mindset demonstrated by said peoples' assumptions about Rainbow Dash. I don't hate the idea of her being a lesbian, I hate the reasons that people seem to believe that she is.

As a side note: I have heard from people that they would want a t-shirt with a rainbow dash cutie mark, but are afraid that the mark will be confused with gay pride. I am far from experiences on this subject, but I guess in modern youth the teenagers see a rainbow more as gay symbol because the gay groups use it a lot in their image as well. Add that rainbow to a tomboyish girl and add a cup of internet and tadaa.

Also, all ponies have been called gay for sake of fanfiction, shipping, pairing, whatever, my advise, don't worry about it, it's clearly all non canon or just internet shouting stuff.

As a side note: I have heard from people that they would want a t-shirt with a rainbow dash cutie mark, but are afraid that the mark will be confused with gay pride. I am far from experiences on this subject, but I guess in modern youth the teenagers see a rainbow more as gay symbol because the gay groups use it a lot in their image as well. Add that rainbow to a tomboyish girl and add a cup of internet and tadaa.

Also, all ponies have been called gay for sake of fanfiction, shipping, pairing, whatever, my advise, don't worry about it, it's clearly all non canon or just internet shouting stuff.

Basically that.

I guess Rainbow Dash isn't the worst of characters to look up to if you are yourself a lesbian, but until it's officially confirmed (which it won't be given the show's intended demographic) to assume she IS a lesbian just because she's a tomboy is absurd and (as someone else pointed out) wishful thinking.

hi hi

I am frequently embarrassed when I tell people that my favorite color is purple, because more than half the time they instantly make assumptions about my character. :)

Sometimes I wonder if the English language does this kind of a discussion something of a disservice by having so many different emotions all fall into the category of Love. There are so many different types of love... The love of a fine meal, the love of a good friend or family, the love of a faithful pet, of a warm fire, of a challenge, of discovery, of a good book on a rainy day.

I guess I don't really concern myself too much with relating everything to romance, but I guess that might just be me.

It's always bothered me too, so stereotypical. If anything, she's Wonderbolts-sexual.

Lol

I do think it is because they are trying to find a character to relate to. We will probably never know. It does disappoint me because I can not find any good pieces fan art of rainbow dash that don't revolve around this subject. :|

It's always bothered me too, so stereotypical. If anything, she's Wonderbolts-sexual.

Lol

I do think it is because they are trying to find a character to relate to. We will probably never know. It does disappoint me because I can not find any good fan art of rainbow dash that does not revolve around this subject. :|

May be slightly off topic, but here's some good Rainbow Dash artwork that doesn't revolve around her being a lesbian ^^ http://over-18.deviantart.com/favourite ... 4#/d35sow1

Lol

I do think it is because they are trying to find a character to relate to. We will probably never know. It does disappoint me because I can not find any good fan art of rainbow dash that does not revolve around this subject. :|

May be slightly off topic, but here's some good Rainbow Dash artwork that doesn't revolve around her being a lesbian ^^ http://over-18.deviantart.com/favourite ... 4#/d35sow1

YES!

Powerpuff and ponies crossover is best crossover.

Yeah, it kind of bothers me as well. When I was younger, people always assumed the same thing of me because I was rambunctious and thought romance novels and 90210 were stupid, and so were most boys (what can I say, I went to a REALLY rough grade school where kids were talking about very mature topics before 3rd grade. There was much worse going on at my school, I assure you, and I don't know what the hell was wrong with these kid's parents, but they knew about ALL kinds of stuff that you wouldn't expect 9 year olds to, and were completely willing to accuse their outcast classmates of a variety of things that you'd be shocked that a college girl was doing).

This went on well until I was in high school (to the level of bullying that would bring about criminal charges in this day and age), and it always perplexed me that people thought that apparently ONLY girls who were into other girls could be tomboys. And vice versa. If anything, it just made me feel horrible for other girls who WERE attracted to other girls....if I got this much grief for just being a tomboy.

But rainbows were just "totally '80's" back then.

It's an ignorant stereotype that goes both ways. Males that like frilly things (or like feminine colors, or rather what the ignorance of society has deemed as feminine) are seen as homosexuals. People can't accept the fact that someone acts outside of what they think is 'right', and it's silly.

That and what others have said here, it's all internet fluff. Just ignore it if it bothers you.

I don't lose sleep over this or anything, I just wanted to know why so many people where jumping on the "Rainbow Dash is a lesbian!" Bandwagon, was it based on her tomboyish personality or something that went over my head, but the general consensus seems to be that it's the former.

I don't lose sleep over this or anything, I just wanted to know why so many people where jumping on the "Rainbow Dash is a lesbian!" Bandwagon, was it based on her tomboyish personality or something that went over my head, but the general consensus seems to be that it's the former.

Don't forget the rainbow. Rainbows are fabulous in the mind of the public. There are a lot less people calling Apple Jack gay because she is a tomboy.

Ya, it's basically those two factors, I think. Rainbows, and tomboy. I mean, there was a Rainbow Dash in Gen 3, but she was a total girly girl.

Weren't all of the ponies total girly girls in all of the shows prior to Friendship is Magic though? (As well as being total carbon copies of one another :lol:) they were in the 80's cartoon from what I remember, the one I watched and didn't like even as a kid. I have no idea if it was Gen 1, 2 etc ^^; know next to nothing about My Little Pony prior to Friendship is Magic.