Why do people say that Rainbow Dash is a lesbian?

Leon K Fox

Ya, it's basically those two factors, I think. Rainbows, and tomboy. I mean, there was a Rainbow Dash in Gen 3, but she was a total girly girl.

Weren't all of the ponies total girly girls in all of the shows prior to Friendship is Magic though? (As well as being total carbon copies of one another :lol:) they were in the 80's cartoon from what I remember, the one I watched and didn't like even as a kid. I have no idea if it was Gen 1, 2 etc ^^; know next to nothing about My Little Pony prior to Friendship is Magic.

She was Rarity type girly girl in G3. In past generations, they were sort of girly, but not always super so. Take for instance Firefly, who was G4 Rainbow Dash's base. She was like RD, excited, a show off, and slightly tomboyishâ€â€Âbut she was also pink.

It's an ignorant stereotype that goes both ways. Males that like frilly things (or like feminine colors, or rather what the ignorance of society has deemed as feminine) are seen as homosexuals. People can't accept the fact that someone acts outside of what they think is 'right', and it's silly.

I feel so bad for male bronies for this reason. Liking ponies has nothing to do with one's sexuality, but people tend to assume things without any actual knowledge. It's awful.

Well it would make sense as a crossover, since Lauren Faust was the brains behind both shows, but let's not get this too off topic, as I said =P

The Powerpuff Girls are not Lauren's creation. They were created by Craig McCracken. While Lauren Faust did work on the show, she did not create the characters. Dunno about her being the "brains" a lot of writers and storyboard artists also worked on it.

Well it would make sense as a crossover, since Lauren Faust was the brains behind both shows, but let's not get this too off topic, as I said =P

The Powerpuff Girls are not Lauren's creation. They were created by Craig McCracken. While Lauren Faust did work on the show, she did not create the characters. Dunno about her being the "brains" a lot of writers and storyboard artists also worked on it.

Oh...my bad.

I think people here have generally covered the reasons why, both positive (She gives the LGBT community a character they can see as an unofficial representative), and negative (because she is a tomboy, aggressive, athletic), and even neutral (her hair is rainbow colored).

Nothing is wrong with viewing her as a lesbian character, or writing her as such in fanfic, or drawing her as such in art. What is, I believe, is wrong is insisting that she is a lesbian as some sort of fanon "rule", or worse as pseudo-canon and that people who draw or write her otherwise are somehow "in the wrong". My view if you are going to do RD art or fiction, in which her sexuality is any sort of a factor, wither straight, bi, or lesbian, its all good; as long as you draw/write her in character.

And if you can't decide you can always make her what my friend refers to her as "bi-winning". :P

I don't think there's anything wrong with the idea or possibility of her being a lesbian, I have nothing against lesbians or homosexuals in general, I just don't like the reasons people are citing as evidence for her being one as they're incredibly sterotypical. Applejack isn't very feminine but no one says she's a lesbian... because she doesn't have Rainbow in her name or a rainbow themed colour scheme? That's the only reason? It just seems like a double standard to me.

Also got to realize that a lot of these stereotypes are played out intentionally, and were developed by people on /b/ and /co/ way back when the show was getting started. Its a bandwagon thing, bronies jump on not because they feel one way or another about it, but because its worth a laugh. The reason it was originally funny was because it was so stereotypical, it was impossible to pass up- and that gave root for a huge fertile ground of jokes and gags, that really won MLP:FiM a lot of the popularity its enjoying today.

I think the only people who don't get it are those who are too serious about it. Hey, it could be a nod towards the LGBT community, but it could also be a nod to the rainbow of light, that hasn't appeared in the series other than through Dash. It could have been corporate, or some completely unthoughtful decision by a man in a tie who blurted out at the table "well, little girls like rainbows, right?", it could just be complete coincidence.

I get the humor behind the whole situation, perhaps because of the people I've grown up with; but as far as the stereotype goes- its funny because its so blatant, and probably incorrect- but that's part of the draw to have fun with it, and take it in a direction it was probably never meant to go. Really, its very much the same case as why Derpy is so popular; and has had the opportunity to turn into something endearing to many- but lets be honest, there were definitely some questionable stereotypes revolving around her, that were taken and run with in an unexpected direction. Many of us have just come to find we love these extremes, and are probably tickled somewhere deep inside because it allows us to enjoy something we don't often get to express that is 'so serious' in life, and we can have a lot of fun with it, without laughing at anyone, just ourselves.

Hey, it could be a nod towards the LGBT community, but it could also be a nod to the rainbow of light, that hasn't appeared in the series other than through Dash. It could have been corporate, or some completely unthoughtful decision by a man in a tie who blurted out at the table "well, little girls like rainbows, right?", it could just be complete coincidence..

We know Rainbow Dash is a character that has been around since G3, but back then she was this generic stereotype of "the girl who is all about fashion and shopping", basically sort of like Rarity but without all the character depth and developed persona. From what I am told Lauren wanted a tomboy, athletic character for the cast and had to fight hard to make that happen, as Hasbro was initially quite against the idea. They relented and that is how she started as the RD we all know and love.

Most likely then it is coincidence.

Rainbow Dash is a combination of G1 Firefly (Faust's original base for the character) and G3 Rainbow Dash (a character Hasbro has the rights to).

FireflyG1-4.jpg?t=1300786166

+

RainbowDashG3-1.jpg?t=1300786167

=

RainbowDashCutieMark1.jpg?t=1300786168

For the Cutie Mark, Rainbow Dash has a rainbow lightning bolt coming from a cloud. It's really like a lovechild between both marks. G3 Rainbow Dash also wasn't a Pegasus. Her hair colors (and even body color) were also more pastel-y.

Oh...my bad.

Though, she DID more or less take over everything after Craig left to start work on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

It's always bothered me too, so stereotypical. If anything, she's Wonderbolts-sexual.

You win the Internet for a day, :) That is soo true! I could see her wanting to mack with Sorin' and/or Spitfire just because they are both Wonderbolts!

Considering 90% percent of the ponies are female, with the only prominent male member being the baby/child of a completely different species, it's somewhat difficult to write a shipping fic with a male character. Despite that, I've seen a male/male shipping fic once...

Concerning Rainbow Dash, 26 episodes in and I think the show made it clear her sexuality doesn't matter, much like the rest of the cast (except Spike, who constantly sucks up to Rarity and, uh, Rarity, who aspires to marry a prince. But maybe not anymore...).

I have nothing against her, or any of the mane 6, turning out to be a lesbian, though. I just hope that if it is done it's because the episode's plot called for it and not to "please the fans".

I had a much bigger post planned but then I was forced to log back in, bleegh.

I have nothing against her, or any of the mane 6, turning out to be a lesbian, though. I just hope that if it is done it's because the episode's plot called for it and not to "please the fans".

It isn't going to happen in canon, because of the nature of the program and the target audience. Hasbro is not going to insert sexuality beyond the typical "innocent" hetro crush you see Rarity and Spike have because of potential backlash. Any sexuality beyond that is going to be in the realm of fandom, where the artist/writer will make it whatever they want it to be.

Well I know frome some Spike+ Applebloom) shipping stories which are intresting from the fact Applebloom seems to be a more real target for Spike plus they stay so close to eachother in age even Spike will be still very yooung when Aplebloom's grandchildren will be young.

It isn't going to happen in canon, because of the nature of the program and the target audience. Hasbro is not going to insert sexuality beyond the typical "innocent" hetro crush you see Rarity and Spike have because of potential backlash. Any sexuality beyond that is going to be in the realm of fandom, where the artist/writer will make it whatever they want it to be.

I actually had a huge post planned that would have explained my point better, but when I tried to post it it asked me to log on instead, and then I realized I lost 1 hour of writing. T_T So I rushed out the post with something a lot more condensed.

The way I see it, I agree, there is simply no way to make Rainbow Dash a lesbian beyond fan interpretation. For one, this is a show where 90% of the characters are girls, which means that having her hang out with them more often is too easily written off.

Two, they can't go beyond faking kisses, so relationships, straight or not, can't even go into depth.

And three, it's been 26 episodes and we haven't gotten a single moment where Dash had to establish what her sexual preference was, much like most of the cast, and this is probably because it doesn't matter.

I had a lot more stuff to say, but I'm too busy to write it all up now. Welp, I feel like I'm repeating myself.

• 4 weeks later...
Rainbow hair and tomboyish attitude probably contribute towards the theory. I normally wouldn't bother posting in this thread, but after discovering Spongebob's true purpose... Anythings possible right?

Spongebob's true purpose? :!:

I do not really care much about it. I just don't like when my fanfics get hate because I make her straight or how most of the pics of RD I see are about this topic. It is fine a long as people don't claim that it is cannon.

Rainbow hair and tomboyish attitude probably contribute towards the theory. I normally wouldn't bother posting in this thread, but after discovering Spongebob's true purpose... Anythings possible right?

I do not really care much about it. I just don't like when my fanfics get hate because I make her straight or how most of the pics of RD I see are about this topic. It is fine a long as people don't claim that it is cannon.

Spongebobs true purpose... I will explain it as bluntly as possible.

Spongebob and Patrick were originally designed to be gay.

That really would not surprise me. Is that totally official? I have no problem with that. They are still 2 of my favorite chars of all time :D

That really would not surprise me. Is that totally official? I have no problem with that. They are still 2 of my favorite chars of all time :D

Yeah, the company confirmed it. They were meant to be gay...