Why do people say that Rainbow Dash is a lesbian?

Leon K Fox

So there's no reason Dash couldn't fall in love, or at least get a small crush on somepony. That said, Dash is probably least likely to get such a development because of the fans who would go ape**** when their beloved Dash isn't what they thought she was. And imagine the sheer smugness from the fans if it turns out she really is a lesbian. It would be tangible.

:!:

Rainbow Dash with a crush on somepony? That pony would be the center of major fanrage! :) If the pony is a colt, doubly so because of all the broken hearted bronies. If the pony was a filly, well it be partially mitigated because, yeah, the whole "I told you so" aspect, although those hardcore Dash-Pinkie shippers would still be upset. :blah:

I doubt it will happen though and fans can continue to speculate, and draw and write based on those speculations (which isn't a bad thing at all). :halo:

I'm hoping that they never try this for these reasons. Honestly, it's ridiculous how badly this has gotten out of hand for the fandom... If they even try to give the ponies romances, the fandom will lash out in one way or another, because their 'favorite shipping pair' didn't happen.

You guy seem to forget that despite the huge adult audience this show is meant for 4-8 yr old girls. There's no way in hell that Hasbro would ever allow the characters to be represented as homosexual.

• 2 years later...

The irony of all this, at least partly, is what the original character concept for this character was. Lauren Faust wanted her favorite pony Firefly to return to the show, who had a pink coat with blue mane and tail, but for copyright reason she could not do so. As such Lauren decided to put her view on Firefly's personality into the G3 pony Rainbow Dash, a very girly pony it should be noted that liked dresses, meaning people using Friendship is Magic Rainbow Dash's appearance to justify her being lesbian is amusing.

Hmm... I apologize for committing the crime of necromancy, I did not check the date.

But Fluttershy is completely terrible shipped with both Dash and Rarity. She should be shipped with AJ or somepony. :)

RainbowPie is okay I guess though, but yeah, not nearly as good as RariDash. ;)

Explain your reasoning, how does it make sense? Why do you feel, logically, that RD and Rarity would be the most compatible couple? Give things from the show that would suggest this being a possibility. ((Yes I'm over analyzing, it is how I go about things))

Because in his opinion that's his favorite ship :)

Explain your reasoning, how does it make sense? Why do you feel, logically, that RD and Rarity would be the most compatible couple? Give things from the show that would suggest this being a possibility. ((Yes I'm over analyzing, it is how I go about things))

1. Surface contrast - at first glance they couldn't be more different; one's an athletic tomboy and the other very much feminine dressmaker. Stark contrast like that can make for good ships; tomboy/girly girl combinations are effectively a staple of a lot of things for a reason.
  2. Core similarity - though seeming to have little in common, their personalities are actually closer than they are apart. Both are bold, assertive, strong willed mares who ultimately believe in doing right by others. They're also the ones with the most artistic energy. Rarity is an artist while Dash is a showmare. They're both the ones with dreams bigger than where they are now; they desire fame and attention when attaining it doesn't clash with their core values. Being more on the same page than a lot of the others I think adds credence to the ship.
  3. Appreciation for one another's art - Rarity expresses delight in watching Rainbow Dash fly and do tricks (she uses the word "dazzling" for instance at the start of Read it and Weep). She also evidently talks Wonderbolts with Dash to the point where she can recall specific details (Sweet and Elite). When she herself got the ability to fly (Sonic Rainboom), she found it absolutely elating. It can be concluded that Rarity really thinks flying is cool. What Dash thinks of dresses is a little harder to figure out. She is shown to protest at the idea at times (though she hardly has AJ's disdain for fancy clothing), but there has to be a reason she was there modeling for Rarity in Swarm of the Century in the first place. In Suited for Success, she's the only one who doesn't give Rarity a series of specific suggestions; this is frustrating for Rarity, but I think it speaks to a certain level of trust she has in Rarity's ability to make something she'll appreciate.
  4. The events of Sonic Rainboom - This is one of the more important episodes for both Rarity and Dash. Rarity encourages the others to follow Dash so they can give her support, but ends up wrapped up in herself to a shameful extent wherein she ends up causing Dash pain and ultimately ends up almost falling to her death. Despite how she's acted, Rainbow pushes herself to do something she hasn't been able to do previously with reliable frequency so as she can save Rarity's life. Rarity is clearly emotional and reflective at the end when she asks for forgiveness and when she makes her case to Princess Celestia herself that Dash is the best flyer. Dash meanwhile doesn't make a big deal of it. She's just happy things have worked out. I would imagine that the events have this episode really stand out in Rarity's mind... and especially so since it's not the only time Dash has come flying to her rescue. Both in Secret of my Excess and in Wonderbolts Academy Rarity is again in free fall and gets saved by Dash's well time flying; sur in those cases others are involved, but it's possibly enough to create an association for her. In the most recent episode, Bats!, when Rarity was scared she immediately thinks to join Rainbow Dash ahead of any of the others; it might be she associates Dash with gallantry and with rescuing her from peril, which would certainly be affecting.
  5. Rarity would be one of the best at reigning in the wild Dash. Her general confidence in carrying herself just fits well with the more erratic pegasus. She could keep up with Dash, and actually might be the one with the more dominant hoof. I can see this making Dash as a result slip a little into her attached fangirl mode she's prone to with Rarity, which is adorable.
  6. They look good next to each together. - Their designs contrast nicely while they both mostly are cooler colors.
  7. It's seriously super adorable.
  8. gallery_69_17_11421.png

• Like 2

Because in his opinion that's his favorite ship :)

That is not the sort of reasoning I'm looking for and while it may work for some it doesn't work for me.

Detailed Reasoning

Thank you very much for putting forth the effort in presenting evidence for why you believe they would make a good couple. I plan on going over what you said but as I'm using my phone now that will have to wait. I just want to say I appreciate that you went though the effort of fufilling my request.

Fact is often construed as fact. After all, rainbows.

Yet as I pointed out Rainbow Dash was never intended to have a rainbow mane nor even be named Rainbow Dash. Lauran Faust wanted her favorite pony Firefly but for copyright reasons she couldn't have her in the show. So she took the body of Rainbow Dash (a very girly pony that loved dresses) and put Firefly's personality and mind inside. Firefly I should note has blue mane/tail and pink coat... not much of an LGBT mascot right?

Wow... this thread was started back when I was a member the first time 'round...

Ok, the semi-official explanation (pieced together, not quoted) is that RD is NOT GAY but either Bi or Straight because she is specifically challenging the stereotype. Therefore if the stereotype is "rainbows and tomboys are gay" the is NOT purely because faust wants to break stereotypes.

Hey it's as good an explanation as any... and personally I'm all for the "all FiM characters are Bi/Pan" ;) lol