[Equestria Orphanage] Nanny and the Professor (OPEN)

Mojo

Sighing the filly looked at the tissue box and concentrated, her horn lighting up with a light pink aura that enveloped the tissue box lifting it a couple centimeters off the ground and staying in the air for a couple moments before Cantrip released it letting it drop back down. Hopefully this would be enough for the teacher to move on and bug some other unicorn.

[colour=#dda0dd]"There."[/colour] she muttered and returned to brooding in her seat watching the others. Now at last the filly could get some peace as her mind returned to figuring out a way out of here... That and food. For some reason her thoughts seemed to constantly drift towards the topic as Cantrip wondered what they would be eating tonight. She hoped it would be spaghetti. Or something with tomato sauce in it... Really it didnt matter so long as she didnt have to deal with onions or peppers, Cantrip hated those.

Lore Weaver carried the books into the orphanage following Professor Krashkop. The Professor mentioned that Lore could read to the ponies, something the unicorn was excited to do. While storytelling wasn't his best talent, because he was a bookseller, writer, and well read himself, Lore knew a little about reading to others. the fact that he was a seller also gave him a window into what was popular among all ponies, including books for foals.

[colour=#800080]"I think that reading to foals would be a great idea. But before I do so, where can I set down this bag and unload the books? is there a library or a certain classroom?"[/colour]

Was waiting for hinata2000100 to post, but in order to keep this RP going, I'll post now. hinata, we'll 'hold' our part of the story until you post again. For now, the rest of us need to keep the story moving

In Room 12, a male unicorn classmate seated near Cantrip took notice of the filly.

LMAjj.jpg

[colour=#800000]"Pardon me for asking, Cantrip, but are you alright," [/colour]Gold Standard whispered to her.

[colour=#800080]"Thank Celestia a fellow student's taking an interest in her," [/colour]Misty Magic said to herself before suddenly noticing the 'noise' she was making with her mop. [colour=#800080]"Oh, sorry Miss Marie."[/colour]

Meanwhile, Professor Krashkop continued to hover over Lore Weaver and listened to his question.

[colour=#008000]"Ja! Dee Library is over here und it vill be dee perfect place for you to read to duh kiddies!" [/colour]the airborne green Pegasus neighed as he pointed his hoof in the direction of the Library Entrance.

14aittd.png

Le sigh… Ingrid Marie clearly noticed that Cantrip deliberately gave minimal effort towards her telekinetic spell. However, the instructor decided not to press the issue any further; there were other students Ingrid needed to get introduced to during the time allotted to her. As if on cue, a young gold-colored colt whispered something in Cantrip’s ear.

[colour=#008080]~A-HA! My next volunteer!~[/colour]

Before Ms. Marie could call on the whispering colt however, Misty Magic interrupted with a verbal apology for the noise she was making. [colour=#008080]“That’s okay, Misty,”[/colour] replied the impatient Ingrid; [colour=#008080]“Just uhhh…. finish it up quickly, thank you.”[/colour] With that taken care of, Ingrid pointed in the direction of the gold unicorn and gently asked [colour=#008080]“You there, young colt. Can you tell the class your name and show us the most advanced spell you can easily do?”[/colour] Ingrid figured this “getting-to-know-you” routine would go by much faster if she simply asked the foals all her required questions at once.

Once again the fillies thoughts were interrupted. Not by an adult though... Glancing beside her Cantrip gave the golden colored unicorn who's name she did not know, nor did she really want to learn either.

[colour=#dda0dd]"Yeah... Just peachy" [/colour]the filly muttered sarcasticly in response as she returned to staring at the wall as if expecting it to dissolve away giving her a chance at freedom. No such luck. Although the filly was rather amused by a spider she noticed making a web, to her it seemed to be loads more interesting than learning her classmates names and what they could do. Arrogantly the filly thought herself above them, she really didn't even need to be here.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen, a still dizzy Jubilee shook her head and then came to her senses.

[colour=#DAA520]"I'm fine, Apple Fritter, my pride's more hurt than my head at the moment. Gotta watch those Pegasus foals sometimes! They like to sneak in and grab things just for fun. Don't worry about that one flying away, we have plenty of Pegasi volunteers who keep a sharp eye on them. Oh! Look at the time! We need to get started! Gotta have some snacks ready for when that flock of young Pegasi outside come in from playtime. If you wouldn't mind slicing up about a dozen apples while I get the grape juice poured, that'd be great."[/colour]

Apple Fritter felt relived that the Pegasus foal that flew away would be OK. She then heard Jubilee ask her if she could cut up some apples, and Apple Fritter couldn't help but snicker at that. [colour=#00ff00]"Hun, Apple's in mah name. O'course ah can chop some apples fer ya."[/colour] Apple Fritter said, happily taking out a baker's dozen of apples, one extra for her. She then happily hummed tunelessly as she cut up the apples.

Over in the other room, Doctor Stable saw that Twilight Shine was finished with feeding the foals, he smiled with approval.

[colour=#8B4513]"Well done, Miss Shine," [/colour]the tan furred unicorn said. [colour=#8B4513]"Now that the foals are fed, they need to be burped as gently as possible. After that, I'll have Starflower join you so the two of you can continue with their physical examinations, Starflower will probably have you help keep the foals calm as she takes their temperatures and examines .. Nurse Starflower, you DID bring the forehead therometers with you, right?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Of course, Doctor Stable!" [/colour]the lanky unicorn mare neighed as she floated her black bag over to her front feet. [colour=#0000FF]"These are the latest in pediatric care. Taking temperatures are a LOT easier with these than the old method, and much more safe and sanitary too."[/colour]

Twilight looked at all the foals and smiled. She barely heard what Doctor Stable had said while she was looking at them. [colour=#0000ff]"Huh, what? Oh, yeah, I can burp the foals for you!"[/colour] Twilight said happily as she skipped back over to where the foals were. She took a foal, the same foal she had fed first, and gently put her over her shoulder and patted the foal's back just as gently. The foal let out a small burp that Twilight smiled at. Foals were always so adorable.

Lore Weaver looked over to where the professor was pointing.

[colour=#800080]"Thanks," [/colour]he said as he hefted the bag up with his levitation magic and carried it to its final destination. The library was small, about half the size of a classroon in the orphanage. Yet despite its size, it had many books that were housed in the shelves that wrapped around practically the entire room. In the center there were tables and chairs for foals to sit and read and a cozy looking rug where Lore assumed would be where the storytime would take place. Opening the bag, he began to levitate the books into two piles: fiction and non fiction. With the sheer size of books, he knew he would need help.

[colour=#800080]"Professor Krashkop, youd you help me find homes for the nonfiction books while I shelve the fiction ones?"[/colour]

Back in Room 12, Gold Standard was happy to see Ingrid Marie choose him. The gold pelted unicorn colt walked in front of the class.

[colour=#8B4513]"Sure, teacher! My name is Gold Standard and I've been here for nearly a year now. My best spell is a balancing spell! I'll show ya!"[/colour]

Gold Standard stood in front of the teacher's desk, placed his left forehoof on the desktop as his horn began to glow. Slowly, the rest of his body glowed as it rose up. Soon, Gold Standard struck a pose with the appearance of him balancing with one hoof on top of the desk.

[colour=#8B4513]"I can only do this for a few... whoa...whoa... WHOA!" [/colour]the unicorn colt muttered as he began to wobble and tumble forward. Acting quickly, Misty Magic's horn glowed as her magic 'caught' the falling Gold Standard and kept him suspensed a short distance above the floor.

[colour=#800080]"Good thing I was watching his every move," [/colour]Misty said to herself. When most of the other students witnessed Misty's 'save', they began to applaud.

Meahwhile, in the kitchen as Jubilee and Apple Fritter were working, a small blonde Pegasus filly walked in:

yR7ESs.jpg

It was little Wishing Well who walked right up to Apple Fritter.

[colour=#FFA500]"Hello lady, who are you? I'm Wishing Well. Whatcha doin'? Where ya from? Are ya choppin' apples? Are they for us?"[/colour]

As Wishing Well continued to ramble, down the hall, Starflower watched and smiled as she saw Twilight Shine burp all the foals.

[colour=#0000FF]"Very well done, Miss Shine," [/colour]the lanky unicorn nurse said in a hushed tone. [colour=#0000FF]"It's time for the baby's nap now. They seem to be drowsy, but we need to give them some extra help to get them to sleep. I hope you can perform simple levitation, just follow my lead, as quietly as possible."[/colour]

Starflower's horn glowed, lifting up three small 'mobiles' with small shiny stars, cresent moons and pony figures attached to them. She floated the three over three random cribs where foals were laying and slowly spun them as she sang softly. [colour=#0000FF]"Hush little baby, don't say a word, momma's gonna buy you a mocking bird, if that mocking bird won't sing, momma's gonna buy you a diamond ring..."[/colour]

As the stethoscope wearing unicorn continued her soft lullaby, the three foals began to yawn, stretch and close their eyes. Starflower then motioned with her head to Twilight Shine, hoping the unicorn filly would take the hint and do the same thing with the two remaining foals.

Meanwhile, in the library, the still hovering Professor nodded at Lore Weaver's suggestion.

[colour=#008000]"Javol, herr Veaver!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop neighed. [colour=#008000]"Since I am flying already, I vill place all dee non-fiction books on dee higher shelves und you can place dee others on dee lower vones. Could you sort dem in terms of reading level please? Dat vay dee younger boys und girls can find vhat day can read und so can dee older vones."[/colour]

14aittd.png

Now here was more like it; unlike Cantrip, Gold Standard acted much more adjusted to his settings. For Ingrid Marie, that means she won’t have to necessarily give the colt extra attention. Not that the instructor didn’t like tutoring students who needed the extra help, but being responsible for an entire class (a class hours away from where she lived, for that matter) ensured that Ms. Marie’s one-on-one tutoring time would be quite limited. The more students with Mr. Standard’s disposition, the better.

Instructor Marie’s eyes widened as the gold colt climbed onto her desk and performed a balancing spell. Boy, he sure was a bold one! If he actually practiced, he would be able to keep at it for at least a….. nope, it only took a few seconds for him to wobble and fall. Fortunately for Ingrid, Misty Magic once again proved her worth by “catching” the lad in time; perhaps Miss Magic wouldn’t be such a bad assistant after all.

Anyway, Ingrid Marie guessed that Mr. Standard probably didn’t practice his magic enough each day. However more importantly, the colt lost control of his magic after seemingly losing his initial bravado. In all her years of counseling and tutoring, Ingrid noted that one of the very most common stumbling blocks towards achieving magical mastery happened to be a lack of confidence. Whatever form it takes, as soon as a learner starts thinking about potential a failure or screw-up, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

That sort of tutoring would have to wait for a little bit though. Once the applause died down, Ingrid simply asked the colt; [colour=#008080]“So Mr. Standard, how much time do you practice your abilities each day?”[/colour]

Cantrip only payed a little attention to the colt as he made his way to the front, her focus for the most part still being the wall, then the window. Then... Well lets just say her gaze wandered allot. It didn't take a genius to see that the filly was rather bored with everything. The idea of hearing every colt and filly introduce themselves and show off a spell or two did little to excite her.

Sighing the fillies eyes finally reached the front of the class where she watched the colt's trick with slight disinterest [colour=#ee82ee]~When are we gonna start learning something? Or at least see-~ [/colour]Cantrips thoughts were interrupted for a moment she watched Gold Standard waver and eventually fall, only to be caught by Misty Magic... As the rest of the class applauded the save Cantrip sighed but joined in half heartedly. While she didn't really want to see anypony hurt she couldn't help but feel that maybe the Colt shouldn't have done something so silly to get himself in that position that he would need saving.

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile, in the kitchen as Jubilee and Apple Fritter were working, a small blonde Pegasus filly walked in:

yR7ESs.jpg

It was little Wishing Well who walked right up to Apple Fritter.

[colour=#FFA500]"Hello lady, who are you? I'm Wishing Well. Whatcha doin'? Where ya from? Are ya choppin' apples? Are they for us?"[/colour]

Apple Fritter saw a little Pegasus filly walk up to her. She tried to answer all her questions, but she was talking a mile a minute. [colour=#00ff00]"Uh... Ah.... If ah could just..."[/colour] Apple Fritter managed to say between the filly's ramblings.

As Wishing Well continued to ramble, down the hall, Starflower watched and smiled as she saw Twilight Shine burp all the foals.

[colour=#0000FF]"Very well done, Miss Shine," [/colour]the lanky unicorn nurse said in a hushed tone. [colour=#0000FF]"It's time for the baby's nap now. They seem to be drowsy, but we need to give them some extra help to get them to sleep. I hope you can perform simple levitation, just follow my lead, as quietly as possible."[/colour]

Starflower's horn glowed, lifting up three small 'mobiles' with small shiny stars, cresent moons and pony figures attached to them. She floated the three over three random cribs where foals were laying and slowly spun them as she sang softly. [colour=#0000FF]"Hush little baby, don't say a word, momma's gonna buy you a mocking bird, if that mocking bird won't sing, momma's gonna buy you a diamond ring..."[/colour]

As the stethoscope wearing unicorn continued her soft lullaby, the three foals began to yawn, stretch and close their eyes. Starflower then motioned with her head to Twilight Shine, hoping the unicorn filly would take the hint and do the same thing with the two remaining foals.

Twilight smiled, and noticed Starflower motioning her head towards the other foals, and did indeed take the hint, slightly levitating the foals. She tried to think of a lullaby to sing to the foals, but she couldn't think of any off the top of her head.

(Sorry about that)

With a nod in agreement at the pegasus pony's plan, Lore Weaver began to place the fiction books in the lower shelves with his magic. There seemed to be no method of organization in the library. Books were just placed in the fiction area regardless of title or author. But he guessed that considering that foals would just grab a book and then put it back, all organiation went out the window.

With the fiction done, the unicorn began to lift the nonfiction books up to the professor with his magic so as to hlpe him place them.

[colour=#800080]"Alright, I'm going to keep a book or two in the air and you can put them where they belong." [/colour]

In Room 12, Gold Standard answered the question asked by Ingrid Marie.

[colour=#8B4513]"Well, I try to practice some simple spells in the morning, before breakfast and then about an hour before I go to bed, One evening, when I accidentally turned a potted plant in my room into a bucket and I freaked out, Nanny came running over to me to calm me down. She taught me how to be patient and keep your cool even when you're in trouble. Took me a few tries but I did change it back. Does that answer your question, ma'am?"[/colour]

As the youthful colt spoke, Misty Magic couldn't help but notice Cantrip's continued discomfort. The other colts and fillies in class seemed to be behaving normally, so as hard as Misty tried to, she couldn't get her mind off of the newest arrival to the school.

Meanwhile, the 'system' Lore Weaver suggested for placing the new books in order made a still airborne Professor Krashkop smile.

[colour=#008000]"Javol Herr Weaver! Vee shall do dis!" [/colour]the elderly green Pegasus neighed. So as Lore Weaver levitated books upward, the Professor quickly put them in the proper area on the shelves. In quick fashion, the job was done. [colour=#008000]"Wonderba vork, Herr Weaver! Now if you like, vee could go to vone of dee younger classes und you can read a book to dem."[/colour]

In the kitchen, Jubilee walked over to Wishing Well and held up a hoof, causing the tiny Pegasus filly to stop talking.

[colour=#DAA520]"Now Wishing Well, what have I told you about allowing others to speak?" [/colour]she asked.

[colour=#FFA500]"Oh, I'm so sorry ma'am,"[/colour] Wishlng Well began to speak. [colour=#FFA500]"I didn't mean to keep talking when I'm supposed to shut up, I wouldn't want to be rude to keep talking when I should be shutting up because when I'm told to shut up I shut up and..." [/colour]

[colour=#DAA520]"We get it," [/colour]Jubilee said, rolling her eyes in frustration. In the nursery area, it was shear luck that the two foals Twilight Shine was looking after also fell asleep before any more singing could take place. Without saying a word, Starflower motioned to her filly assistant to tuck them safely into their cribs and then follow her out into the hallway. All this taking place while Dr. Stable continued his examinations on the older students in the other room. Using his magic, the tan furred physician send two small strips of written scrolls floating over to both Starflower and Twilight Sparkle. Each note read the same as they unscrolled in from of them:

[colour=#FF0000]"I need you two to fetch the standard set of supplies from the First Aid Closet and then join me to help with more of the student examinations. Don't worry about the foals, we'll be in earshot of them in case any of them wake up from their naps early. Nurse Starflower knows the supplies I need. Please proceed VERY quietly as not to wake any of the foals up, please? Dr. Stable."[/colour]

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie was glad to hear that Gold Standard did indeed practice his magic abilities frequently. In fact, he even had the raw ability to transform objects; of course, his technique most likely left much to be desired. Chances are, he probably knew nothing about the composition of plants and other biological facts; for that matter, these orphans probably didn’t know too much about science period. Ingrid shrugged that thought off; after all, she volunteered here to make these unicorns magic proficient, right?

Nodding at Gold Standard to acknowledge his answer, Instructor Marie spent the next few minutes getting to know the other students. As that went without incident, it was time for Ingrid to move on to the next phase of her plan today; getting the students to know each other. All standard teaching procedure obviously, but it is always a good idea to melt the ice between classmates.

[colour=#008080]“Mmkay my little ponies; I’m going to now pair you up with one another. I want you to chat and get to know your assigned partner for five minutes, and then you’ll each briefly talk about your partner in front of the class. Now then, let’s see…. Gold Standard, you can pair up with Cantrip…”[/colour] It took a minute for Ingrid to match up all the ponies in her class.

Cantrip suppressed a groan as the teacher began to pair them all up. She didn't want to know anything about her classmates, the filly couldn't care less what they liked, their histories, even their names... Unless that information helped her escape at a later date Cantrip figured there was no point learning it.

~Oh well~ she thought in defeat and turned to regard Gold Standard.

"You know my name, I like ice cream, magic and cats..." she explained quickly , of that list only the magic part was truthful. "Now tell me your information so that we can get this over with..."

With Professor Krashkop's help, Lore Weaver was able to shelve all of the books he had brought with him. With tht task taken care of, he was advised to then go and read to the foals, something that he also wanted to accomplish. He didn't have many opportunities to read to others at his book store, but now was the chance.

[colour=#006400]"Alright, I'll go read to the foals. Do you know where exactly this takes place?"[/colour]