Resident Evil 6, Yay or Neigh?

WhiteSlash

So I just played the public demo for RE:6 on my Xbox. I really don't want to say I hated it, but I strongly disliked it. It seems the Resident Evil games are actually going the way of the movies. Just pointless action with some possible jumpy scares.

I'd say that the things I disliked most were the new cover system, the new item and menu layout, zombies with guns, dive rolls, quick shots and instant item pick up. The list goes on. I remember playing RE:3 and the other old games and just being blown away by them. Four was good, five was okay. Seriously though, Chris boxed a boulder in five, what's up with that?!

I guess what I'm asking is what are your opinions on the matter Canterlot? Are you all for the new direction the series has took or do you long for the old classic style to return?

I have to say either way is fine as long as it works.

But they should still try to keep some sort of identity, RE has always been about monsters and secret plots.

As long as they can streamline it without dumbing it down It'll always be a decent game, survival horror RE is basically gone.

Resident Evil Opperation Raccoon City was a steaming pile if filth, disappointment, and shame. Six better make up for that.

Also Resident Evil 4 was probably the best I've played. Satisfying length, pretty frustrating at times, and a good story. Five was pretty good, and I liked the co-op.

So I just played the public demo for RE:6 on my Xbox. I really don't want to say I hated it, but I strongly disliked it. It seems the Resident Evil games are actually going the way of the movies. Just pointless action with some possible jumpy scares.

I'd say that the things I disliked most were the new cover system, the new item and menu layout, zombies with guns, dive rolls, quick shots and instant item pick up. The list goes on. I remember playing RE:3 and the other old games and just being blown away by them. Four was good, five was okay. Seriously though, Chris boxed a boulder in five, what's up with that?!

I guess what I'm asking is what are your opinions on the matter Canterlot? Are you all for the new direction the series has took or do you long for the old classic style to return?

If you played RE5 until the end, then much of that would come as no surprise.

The demo was horrible, but the *moment* they announced it was going to include sections from each campaign when each campaign played so differently I knew it was going to suck. It doesn't dim my enthusiasm for the game at all, however. Absurdly small snapshots of various campaigns don't matter. It would be like if a mario game had three very different ways to play, and you got the first half a level of each. You wouldn't be impressed.

@Krypt- I think RE4 had the worst story in the series. You could have given it a different title and changed a few words and gotten the same result.

• 2 weeks later...

I have it, and personally enjoy it - and I've been an RE fan since the first title...it's all on what you want out of the game, really.

You didn't like it - s'cool, life does that to all of us!

[colour=#282828]The fact you can move and shoot is a drastic improvement from all the other games.[/colour]

Something tells me you're not familiar with how Horror games aren't meant to allow you to be fully controlled 'badasses'.

Resident Evil 6 has become more of an action game than a horror game, That is why they got negative reviews. While it doesn't quite fit into the genre of survival horror, it's still a fun and enjoyable game. The controls feel smoother than 4 and 5, and are a lot less restrictive. The new combat system is welcome, the action is good and the cutscenes are hilarious. Though the main problem that I had was with ammo. There just wasn't enough and in an action game, ammo is essential. I was playing online during a boss fight and I had no ammo during a sequence in which the boss was out of melee range, so I had to stand around while my partner solos the boss. Bottom line is just cuz it's not scary, doesn't mean it can't be a good game. I give the game 8/10 because of ammo problems, on-disc DLC, and no Josh, though I will give them a 9/10 if the "DLC" is free and they put Josh in Mercenaries.

Resident Evil 6 has become more of an action game than a horror game, That is why they got negative reviews. While it doesn't quite fit into the genre of survival horror, it's still a fun and enjoyable game. The controls feel smoother than 4 and 5, and are a lot less restrictive. The new combat system is welcome, the action is good and the cutscenes are hilarious. Though the main problem that I had was with ammo. There just wasn't enough and in an action game, ammo is essential. I was playing online during a boss fight and I had no ammo during a sequence in which the boss was out of melee range, so I had to stand around while my partner solos the boss. Bottom line is just cuz it's not scary, doesn't mean it can't be a good game. I give the game 8/10 because of ammo problems, on-disc DLC, and no Josh, though I will give them a 9/10 if the "DLC" is free and they put Josh in Mercenaries.

Would free DLC be a "nice bonus"? XD

• Like 1

I played some of it, but my desire for video games has been tapering lately so I only got through about 3/4ths of the Leon arc during my siblings rental of it.

There was a decent enough blend of melee action with the delightfully frustrating combat style of the classic Resident Evil. Co-op is almost never a bad thing. There wasn't enough ammo starvation or jump scares, and the bosses were way too cinematic. The puzzles were really simple, and I honestly felt like the mini-bosses were harder than the actual ones.

Although the game wasn't really difficult, it did have some frustrating points here and there, so that's a plus.

All in all I'd say it's a great game if you don't compare it to resident evil 1-4.

I oddly liked Operation Raccoon City and that's because I decided not to think of it as a fully fledged Resident Evil. I think if I was to take the same view and apply it to RE:6 I might actually enjoy it XD

Most who played the old games considered the older control scheme suitable for the style of game...it was very much a design choice.

Trust me, you need to understand a bit more about the individual elements and tropes that make up a great Survival horror game...for example, Silent Hills controls were limited because the game was designed to almost be like being awake in a living breathing nightmare - and as cited by designers in a long-lost magazine interview:

" When was the last time you were in control of a nightmare? "

Just some food for thought there.

I oddly liked Operation Raccoon City and that's because I decided not to think of it as a fully fledged Resident Evil. I think if I was to take the same view and apply it to RE:6 I might actually enjoy it XD

ORC was a disappointing pile of Gears of War knockoff. I'd put money down that it was even made using a bootleg version of the Unreal game engine.

Even without comparing it to the other RE games it was terrible. I had enough after 4 hours of 'gameplay' (did I say gameplay? I meant casually walking through the enemies).

That game felt like a bigger middle finger than the cancellation of Megaman Legends 3. Not cool Capcom.

ORC was a disappointing pile of Gears of War knockoff. I'd put money down that it was even made using a bootleg version of the Unreal game engine.

Even without comparing it to the other RE games it was terrible. I had enough after 4 hours of 'gameplay' (did I say gameplay? I meant casually walking through the enemies).

That game felt like a bigger middle finger than the cancellation of Megaman Legends 3. Not cool Capcom.

If anything though ORC was more a knockoff of Lost Planet 2 what with it being the same company and engine. Though I'll admit the campaign was far too easy and that it was also very short I did find myself enjoying multiplayer with 3 people I know very well. I guess that means I can't say the game was good, rather the company I had whilst playing the game :L