[Celestia's School] The Magic Counselor Is In (Open to Magic Students & Faculty, All Others PM to Join)

Bellosh

[colour=#FF0000]"Hmmm... Merlin Magic," [/colour]Fire said to no pony in particular. It was interesting that this pony was as old as Professor Krashkop and how thery were good friends. Furthermore it was interesting that the pony that turned Miss Marie's office into a beach scene was related to the professor.

[colour=#FF0000]"That sounds like a great idea being an apprentice to your friend, Professor. So, how do I sign up?"[/colour]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misty was delighted to here Ingrid's kind words! She released the hug and smiled widely at the taller unicorn mare.

[colour=#800080]"I understand, Professor Marie, and thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!" [/colour]the yellow petite mare shouted. [colour=#800080]"I'll do anything you say! I'll work very hard for you! I'll work long hours too! I'll even work till the cows come home!"[/colour]

Instantly Misty's horn flashed and two large dairy cows appeared in Ingrid Marie's office.

[colour=#B22222]"MOOOOOO!! Hay, what are we doin' here, dontcha know!" [/colour]one of the cows said while the other stared at Misty.

[colour=#0000FF]"This makes the third time this month, Misty!" [/colour]the other cow snorted. [colour=#0000FF]"Where did you bring us THIS time?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Oh my! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to..."[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"You NEVER mean to, we know, we know..." [/colour]

As Misty lowered her head in sadness, back at the diner, Professor Krashkop produced a form and placed it in front of Fire Heart.

[colour=#008000]"Dis application is very easy to fill out, und I vill gladly give you mein own recommendation!" [/colour]the elderly Pegasus stallion neighed. [colour=#008000]"Perhaps it vould make a better impression if vee could deliver it to ol' Merlin in person. Vhat do you tink of dat idea, fraulien?"[/colour]

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie shot back away from Misty Magic as the failsafe spell wore off, causing a pair of dairy cows to accidently materialize in the counselor’s office. It even seemed like these cows had been frequent victims of Miss Magic’s horn misfirings. [colour=#008080]“You know Miss Magic,”[/colour] Ingrid grumbled; [colour=#008080]“Maybe it wouldn’t hurt if you stopped using idioms altogether. I noticed your horn doesn’t trigger itself nearly as often if you stick to just basic phrases.”[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“As for you, ladies,”[/colour] Counselor Marie turned to the cows; [colour=#008080]“This is supposed to be a private meeting. Can you please get a moooove on out of here?”[/colour] Sighing, the beige unicorn remembered once more that she’d be dealing with way more than she bargained for with Misty Magic. And this time, she didn’t have enough energy to fire off another effective failsafe spell.....

Fire watched as the application was placed in front of her. To her this was her ticket to possibly knowing what she wantec to do with her life and magic. The form was easy as Fire produced a quill and ink from her saddlebag and began to write down the important information.

[colour=#FF0000]"You're right Professor, this is an easy form." [/colour]

She got to the part relating to magic and stopped. There below the area where she wrote about her type of magic was an area that said "Limits/ Complications." She could put "None" but that would be a lie. She knew that this Merlin would find out anyway, and it was better he knew the truth. So with a sigh, she wrote the fact that she did not hvave complete control over her ability. With the rest of the application signed, she turned it over to Professor Krashkop.

[colour=#FF0000]"Ok then, I think it's all filled out. So if you think delivering it directly to Merlin, then I'll be happy to go with you to do that." [/colour]

[colour=#b22222]"Well I never!" [/colour]one of the cows snorted.

[colour=#0000ff]"Misty will send us back, she always does," [/colour]the other cow said with a yawn as the yellow unicorn pointed her horn at the cows and made them vanish.

[colour=#800080]"I'm so sorry, Professor Marie, really I am! It's so frustrating!" [/colour]Misty neighed, not noticing how her horn began to glow again.

Meanwhile, back at the diner, Professor Krashkop paid for the meal and then got up on all four feet.

[colour=#008000]"Javol fraulien! I vill gladly take you dere to his office! It's been a long time since I've seen ol' Merlin Magic. Vee used to zit together during faculty meetings back vhen I vas teaching. Vee vill see vhat he says, are you ready to go, Frau Fire Heart?"[/colour]

14aittd.png

Just as swiftly as Misty Magic summoned the two cows by accident, she was able to send them back to whence they came. Observing the petite unicorn vent her irritation, Ingrid Marie noticed Miss Magic’s horn glowing again.[colour=#008080] “It’s alright, it’s alright,”[/colour] hurriedly interrupted the counselor; [colour=#008080]“You ought to try to relax yourself and simply take deep breaths for a minute. Don’t think about anything, don’t talk about anything; just mediate for a minute or two... and clear your mind of all questions and doubts.”[/colour] If nothing else, having Misty meditate would give Ingrid time to reflect on the young unicorn’s condition.....

Fire Heart saw that Professor Krashkop was just asexcited to meet his old friend as she was to turn in the new application.

[colour=#FF0000]"I'm ready to go meet Merlin Magic now," [/colour]she said as she got up from the table.

She wondered what this pony would be like but was excited at the possibility of doing something new, something that could lead to a future in teaching maybe.

MistyMagic.png

Heeding the suggestion of Ingrid Marie, Misty immediately closed her eyes and began taking deep breaths. Immediately, her horn stopped glowing as she started clearing her mind. This was a new experience for her, so was difficult at first to completely blank her mind. Her horn flashed briefly several times before a smile came upon her face and she was able to feel true calm.

Meanwhile, the happy Professor Krashkop walked with Fire Heart across the street.

[colour=#008000]"If I know mein old friend Merlin, he vill probably be at his house near dee campus. I don't tink he is teaching in dee classroom on dis day of the veek."[/colour]

The elderly green stallion led his new friend up to the door of the house and knocked. Suddenly, behind them, a big puff of white smoke appeared with a loud POP sound. When the smoke cleared, there was an elderly light blue unicorn in a top hat and black cape.

[colour=#0000CD]"AH! If it isn't my old friend Clyde Krashkop!" [/colour]the stallion said before levitating his hat to tip it to the mare. [colour=#0000CD]"And who may this charming young mare be? Are you this old cogger's granddaughter?"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Old cogger?" [/colour]the Professor shouted before bursting out laughing. [colour=#008000]"Good old Merlin! Alvays good for dee joking around! Miss Fire Heart, dis is my dear colleague, Dr. Merlin Magic, Professor of Magical Arts. Doctor Magic, this is.."[/colour]

[colour=#0000CD]"Fire Heart!" [/colour]Merlin said with a smile, offering his hoof to shake. [colour=#0000CD]"Any friend of ol' Feathers here is a friend of mine!"[/colour]

14aittd.png

Keeping a solid watch on Misty Magic, Ingrid Marie saw how the glow in Miss Magic’s horn eventually subsided as the young mare calmed herself. Apparently, meditation was just as effective in reining in magic as the failsafe spell in this situation... if not as assuredly guaranteed of success. While meditation was also not going to permanently solve Misty’s issues, at least it didn’t require loads and loads of Ingrid’s magic to pull it off.

Pondering further, Ingrid Marie still had no real answers about the cause of all this. Her best guess was that it was a medical condition and such, but Misty would have to see an actual medical practitioner for confirmation. Whatever it condition was, it kept the petite mare from casting magic like a normal unicorn. To say that Misty couldn’t control her magic was not exactly accurate, Counselor Marie deemed. The younger unicorn conjurations seemed to be based on both her current emotional state and her choice of words.

In some respects, Misty Magic’s case resembled that of Fire Heart’s in that their feelings could trigger their powers without the user’s mental consent. Still, that didn’t explain why Misty’s powers required verbal activation first. It was also a complete mystery as to how the young mare’s horn could summon any variety of things with hardly any expended effort. At least with Fire’s situation, it doesn’t take much magical effort to speed nearby molecules enough to set things aflame. Misty on the other hand should be utterly exhausted by now for all the stunts she unwittingly pulled.

If it wasn’t for her control issues, Misty Magic might very well be an extraordinary gift to bio-aetherological science instead of a mere postal worker. For the time being though, the middle-aged counselor was content to ask about the mare’s meditation experience. [colour=#008080]“Miss Magic,”[/colour] she gently interrupted; [colour=#008080]“How does meditating feel for you? Were you able to clear your mind?”[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Fire Heart followed the elderly pony to his friend's house nearby the university. She marveled at the size of the campus, one that bigger that the area that encompassed Princess Celestia's School. she watched as ponies of all types were there, some conversing with each other, some walking from one area to the next, and some just studying.

The two were approaching the house of the professor when she heard the distinct pop sound behind her. She resisted the urge to erupt into flames, knowing that this was the sound of a unicorn teleporting behind her. She turned to greet the blue pony. She had to chuckle that she was called Professor Krashkop's granddaughter, although she could see why. The profeassor was old enough to be her grandfather.

[colour=#FF0000]"Pleasure to meet you, Professor Magic," [/colour]Fire heart said shaking his hoof, [colour=#FF0000]"I'm actually a student at Princess Ceklestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Professor Krashkop told me that you had a position for a teacher's aide, so i wanted to deliver the letter to you personallly." [/colour]

[colour=#800080]

MistyMagic.png[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Yes, Professor Marie! It's working!" [/colour]Misty Magic, her eyes still closed, neighed as her horn glowed and the unicorn mare began to float upward. [colour=#800080]"I feel so grand! Like I'm lighter than air!"[/colour]

Back in his office, Merlin Magic received the application from Fire Heart with great glee.

[colour=#0000FF]"Thank you, Miss Fire Heart," [/colour]the elderly unicorn said calmly. [colour=#0000FF]"The application deadline was today, and you just made it here on time!"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Und I believe fraulien Fire Heart vill be dee best choice you can make for dee job!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop boasted.

[colour=#0000FF]"Well old friend, your recommendation means a lot of me, but I really need to hear from the applicant," [/colour]the elderly unicorn said as he turned towards Fire Heart. [colour=#0000FF]"Since you are here now, Miss Fire Heart, could you tell me in your own words why you would like to be my apprentice?"[/colour]

Silt Treble stood in front of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and stared in wonder at the towering building. A wellspring of emotion was bubbling inside him, barely contained. Excitement for finally being able to attend a school that would help him control his magic, amazement at the city of Canterlot, which he hadn't visited since he was a small foal; and above all nervousness. The unicorn felt very out of place next to all these city ponies and their neat styles, while he looked as though he had been on the wrong end of a windstorm. His wild, dark green cluster of a mane sat upon his neck with the stormcloud purple of his coat barely visible beneath the dirt. Silt swallowed hard against the lump in his throat and took a deep breath to calm himself before entering the school. Already he could feel his claustrophobia eating at him.

Having never been to the school before, Silt felt it proper to seek out a map, and some possible help with his, eh, "problem". The lack of greenery and open air was causing him to panic, and it was a long moment before he found himself okay to continue down the hall to the counselor's office.[colour=#008000] "It's okay, Treble, you're fine. Stay calm, you don't want to ruin this lovely building, now do you?"[/colour] he spoke to himself, causing a pair of fillies to avoid him as he trotted down the hall. The door of the counselor's office loomed in front of him. [colour=#008000]"Here we are, step one down."[/colour]

The colt took a seat outside the office, thinking it proper to wait to be called inside rather than barging in. While he waited, he closed his eyes and breathed deep, to keep himself calm. He tried not to think of the walls surrounding him, or the mass of ponies wandering the building. [colour=#008000]"I hope leaving the forest was worth this..."[/colour]

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie sighed as Misty Magic started to magically float upwards, the only other sounds she heard were that of hoofsteps outside in the hall. It seemed not even meditation would bestow the young mare immunity from her rogue magic. Desiring to avoid causing a fit of panic, Counselor Marie outright lied and gently claimed; [colour=#008080]“That’s very good Miss Magic; all unicorns magically float up in the air when they’re meditating successfully. Just keep doing what you're doing for another minute or so.”[/colour] Figuring that Misty would see herself levitating sooner or later, Ingrid thought that maybe the young unicorn wouldn’t make things worse if she believe this was normal.....

[colour=#0000ff]Thank you, Miss Fire Heart," [/colour]the elderly unicorn said calmly. [colour=#0000FF]"The application deadline was today, and you just made it here on time!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, I'm glad I got it in then," [/colour]she said surprised. Fire never liked to cut things too close to the deadline, especially things in her school. Had she known about this application earlier, she would have turned it in earlier.

[colour=#0000FF]"Since you are here now, Miss Fire Heart, could you tell me in your own words why you would like to be my apprentice?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I recently spoke to my counselor at Princess Celestia's School about what I want to do as a career. I know I still have a few years to go in school before getting into on, but it was something on my mind. My magical ability is to create fire, but that I've found doesn't really lead to many jobs. Then I thought that rather than being something directly related to my magic, I can teach others to improve theirs. I'm a very hard working student who knows what it's like to need the help of others with my own magic. I feel that I would be great to help others especially if they're struggling as I'm great at solving problems and can both listen and give advice to those that need it."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]

MistyMagic.png[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"I am really getting the hang of this!" [/colour]Misty neighed, her eyes still closed as she levitated in the room. [colour=#800080]"It's as easy as pie!"[/colour]

Immediately, dozens of pies of all varieties appeared on Ingrid Marie's desk, shelves and on every flat surface in the office. With her eyes closed, the petite unicorn mare was completely unaware of the activity taking place all around her.

Meanwhile, back at Merlin Magic's house, the elderly stallion smiled at Fire Heart.

[colour=#0000FF]"A very good answer, young mare! You have a very impressive resume as well. When can you start?" [/colour]Merlin asked.

[colour=#008000]"Vait a minute!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop shouted. [colour=#008000]"You mean, you are hiring her right now? Vhat about dee other applicants?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"There are no other applicants, at least, active ones. Each previous applicant found other jobs and withdrew. The last one sent me a letter stating she was going to work in Baltimare, so since you are the lone remaining applicant, Miss Fire Heart, the job is yours, if you still want it."[/colour]

14aittd.png

A face-hoofing Ingrid Marie felt like she could use some meditation herself as a whole slew of pies materialized in her office. At least they smelled good; one of them even smelled a bit like those apple pies made by her kindly old distant relative, Granny Smith. Taking a bite out of that particular tart delicacy, Ingrid noted that it tasted a lot like Granny’s pies too.

Thinking that now would be a good time to end the meditative session before any more less-delicious consequences occurred, the counselor instructed; [colour=#008080]“Mmkay, you are free to open your eyes now Miss Magic. I believe we're making some progress now.”[/colour] With any luck, Misty would believe Ingrid's words and wouldn’t freak out seeing all the pies everywhere. Sometimes, encouraging other unicorns to believe in their capacity for magical imrpovement sometimes required a slight bending of the truth.....

Fire Heart was happy that Professor Magic accepted her application. What she never expected was the fact that the stallion would instantly accept her. She imagined that there would be tons of other applicants which meant time to evaluate and even get interviewed. But as luck should have it, she instantly got in!

[colour=#FF0000]"Oh, wow, thank you Professor Magic! I can start at any time. Of course I'm at Princess Celestia's school but I'll be happy to help when not in class." [/colour]

[colour=#800080]

MistyMagic.png[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Alright Miss Marie," [/colour]Misty said as she opened her eyes. She was shocked to see that she was indeed floating and that Ingrid's office was full of pies. Getting frightened, the petite unicorn mare immediately fell to the floor and all of the pies vanished. She then let out a heavy sigh.

[colour=#800080]"Oh Miss Marie, I did it again, didn't I?" [/colour]she said sadly, bowing her head.

Meanwhile, back at Merlin's office, the elderly unicorn stallion was delighted to hear that Fire Heart wanted the job.

[colour=#0000FF]"That will work just fine with me, Miss Fire Heart!" [/colour]Merlin Magic neighed. [colour=#0000FF]"I'm sure we can work around your schedule and mine. What do ya know about that? Ol' feathers here actually did something right for a change!"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"For a change?" [/colour]Professor Krashkop snorted. [colour=#008000]"Vhy you aging fossil!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Just teasing you, old friend, I am forever in your debt," [/colour]Merlin said as he hugged his old teaching colleague before turning to Fire Heart. [colour=#0000FF]"Now that that's settled, Miss Fire Heart, how would you like a tour of the house? I can show you both around, it's not often I get visitors here."[/colour]

14aittd.png

[colour=#008080]“I’m afraid so,”[/colour] Ingrid Marie solemnly replied as Misty Magic realized she once again caused an accident. The counselor took one deep breath as she readied herself to provide guidance to the petite yellow mare; [colour=#008080]“Mmmkay... from what I’ve observed throughout the last half-hour, there are two things at work which provoke your horn to go off by itself. First off, it seems that any extreme emotion on the happiness-sadness scale seems to power up your magic. Then oddly enough, this magic is commanded not by your willpower up in your noggin, but by impromptu verbal commands. These... commands seem to take the form of figures of speech, which fortunately means that more basic sentences do not summon spells..... so you’ve got that going for you.”[/colour]

Taking a moment to contemplate, Ingrid sat back down in her chair and made her best shot at formulating a theory; [colour=#008080]“Now as to why this is happening to you Miss Magic; my money is that it’s... a medical condition of some sort. Usually, unicorns have to undergo years of hard training to accomplish what you do during your uhhhhh... mishaps..... and I’m pretty sure that you haven’t been studying magic rigorously during these last few years.”[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“Now then, unicorns casting decently-powerful magic with almost no effort of the will are not exactly unheard of; studies have indicated that about one in a hundred newborn unicorns experience magic flare-ups, where the foals exhibit extraordinary magical prowess despite obviously lacking a developed-enough brain to study or practice it. In nearly all cases however, once these unicorns get older, they lose these abilities and have to consciously learn it all again from scratch.”[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“You must understand now Miss Magic; I am not a licensed medical professional and I cannot make an authoritative diagnosis... but my only theory at this time is that somehow, what enables newborn foals to cast magic without any study has never, uhhhh how do I put it, switched off for you. That is, if you were exactly one of these foals, mmkay.....”[/colour]

Fire Heart was relieved at the fact that Merlin was able to work around her schedule. Much as she was excited about going to be his apprentice, she couldn't just drop out of Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. She was also glad that Professior Krashkop and Merlin were so close that it helped her to get the position.

[colour=#FF0000]"Thank you, both of you, for helping me get this chance. I'd certainly love to see your house Professor Magic." [/colour]

MistyMagic.png

Misty Magic listened carefully to Ingrid Marie's evaluation of her condition.

[colour=#800080]"So you're saying that I could have a medical problem with no known cure?" [/colour]the petite unicorn mare sighed. [colour=#800080]"Well, at least that clears things up a bit..."[/colour]

Suddenly, her horn glowed and a magic beam zapped the office door, turning it transparent so now both mares could see the pony in the waiting room.

[colour=#800080]"Oops! I didn't mean to do that. I wonder who that is out there? Do you have another appointment?"[/colour]

Meanwhile, Merlin Magic began to give his two houseguests a tour of his very large house.

[colour=#0000ff]"This is the living room, and I know it looks more like my office, but technically that's what it is," [/colour]the elderly stallion said as he pointed to a door. [colour=#0000ff]"This leads to my magic laboratory in the basement. Over the decades, I have experimented with variations of spells, all in the name of research of course."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Und I have a lab in mein basement too!" [/colour]added Professor Krashkop,

[colour=#0000ff]"And how many times did you blow THAT one up, Clyde?" [/colour]Merlin asked with a giggle.

[colour=#008000]"Only vonce! Und I vanted to redecorate dat end of mein house anyvay!" [/colour]the green Pegasus neighed defensively.

[colour=#0000ff]"Please watch your step on the stairs, everypony," [/colour]Merlin said before turning to talk to Fire Heart, [colour=#0000ff]"so young lady, do you often practice your own magic skills?"[/colour]

14aittd.png

This time around, Misty Magic’s faulty magic revealed the presence of an unknown colt waiting outside. [colour=#008080]“Hmmm... I don’t recognize that student,”[/colour] Ingrid Marie pointed out; [colour=#008080]“I certainly don’t have a scheduled appointment with him, but we’ll see soon enough.”[/colour]

[colour=#008080]“Anyway; there might be a cure,”[/colour] Ingrid further responded to Misty Magic; [colour=#008080]“There might not be one; again, I’m not a medical professional so I can’t make an official diagnosis. If you want though, I can try to see if a doctor can perform an evaluation of you just to make sure. Will that be alright with you?”[/colour]

Sitting outside the office wasn't as boring as Silt Treble originally thought. The school was as active as an anthill and, just like watching the ants, Silt was content to simply sit and observe while the time slipped past. After an unknown amount of time, a shimmering in the corner of his eye caught Silt's attention. The door next to him was transparent! Silt wondered at the cause for a moment before spotting two unicorns inside the room. Silt smiled shyly and waved to the two mares then inched further down the hall until he was out of sight. The last thing he wanted was for the mares to think he was eavesdropping. That, and that room was small. So very, very small.

[colour=#008000]"I-it's okay Treble."[/colour] the colt said more to the tiny seeds in his dirty mane than himself. At the thought of being in a small room his nerves had taken a hold of him, and the seeds began quivering as his magic reached out to them against his will. [colour=#008000]"Calm down, it's okay, breathe..."[/colour]

Fire Heart looked around the living room turned office She marveked at the stacks of books and papers, all seeming out of place but yet had their purpose. She was amazed that both Professor Magic and Krashkop had laboratories used to study magic. Best of all, she was about to venture into one!

Fire then thought about what professor Magic said about practicing her skills.

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, I try to practice when I can. At Princess Celestia's School, the teachers encourage us to practice but with just what was learned in the class. I can do some things with my fire magic, but I'm always looking to learn more. How do you work on variations of spells Professor Magic? I'm just used to what I learn from spellbooks and not about any variations." [/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#800080]

MistyMagic.png[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Oh, that would be wonderful, thank you Professor Marie!" [/colour]Misty neighed happily, [colour=#800080]"I'll be here in Canterlot for a few more days, I'm staying with my parents at their house. You've probably heard of them, Mighty Magic and Abracadabra?"[/colour]

As she prepared to leave, Misty took another look at the now transparent door.

[colour=#800080]"Before I go, did you want me to, fix this?"[/colour]

Meanwhile, back at Professor Magic's house. Hoofcourt smiled at Fire Heart's next question.

[colour=#0000FF]"I love your enthusiam, young lady! And the answer is, yes! But one must be extremely careful when dealing with magic. Clyde, remember that time you were helping me in my lab and .."[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Say no more, mein friend! I vill tell dee story!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop giggled as he began to explain. [colour=#008000]"He vas vorking on a teleportation spell und I vas in dee lab vith him, but poor Hoofcourt got it wrong, und vhen he vas done, he und I had svitch bodies! Oh, your vife vas very angry vith you dat day!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"She sure was, chum! My body speaking with HIS voice! Anyway, lucky for both of us I created a quick counterspell. Otherwise, we'd ended up teaching each other's classes!"[/colour]

[colour=#008000]"Vee can laugh about it now, but it vasn't so amusing back den!" [/colour]the green Pegasus laughed with his unicorn colleague.