(The Strand) Musical Chairs (Open)

SteelEagle

The train was Octavia's most detested form of transportation. If the bits allowed, she would take anything over it. Even a carriage offered more security from it's rude and unkind clacking of track. It made it hard to think of anything but that incessant sound that threatened to bore into her head and drive the musician mad. Yet, for these cross country trips, they were all she could afford. Airships were prohibitively expensive and unless you had a private carriage, so was that route. She tried to take solace in the fact that she could afford a room with some comforts- namely, a soft personal storage for her cello- and the privacy that welcomed her shockingly at first. The room could normally house four ponies, two on each side of the room in a bunk bed, everypony with storage space and a shared bathroom. But nothing could stop that noise as the train rolled over the tracks. It stopped any of her higher thought processes from finding success and reduced her to going over card tricks. Finding a rhythm even in the simple flipping and stacking of cards was comforting.

That occupied her for several hours, but eventually even her mind could no longer find enjoyment in that. Cursing her lack of a playing partner as she tossed her pack of cards into storage, Octavia rolled up onto the bed and laid down. It wasn't anything spectacular, but she threatened to close her eyes and allow the repetition of the train tracks to beat her into submission. The ride from Manehattan to Stalliongrad couldn't be that rough, right? The thought chilled her, which was a fortunate turn of events as she was going to be chilled anyway by Stalliongrad's notorious weather. Orchestras demanded sacrifice, she figured. She just hoped that sacrifice didn't have anything to do with her sense of hearing.

Wordplay had to get out of her crowded compartment for a moment, so she excused herself and staggered out of the heavily scented room. She was rooming with three pretty cool fillies of a similar age: apprentice perfume makers who were experimenting with scents. Wordplay didn't mind, but the scent of incredibly fragrant oils had become oppressive. Wordplay still smelled strongly of some kind of spicy tree.

The cost of a trip to Stalliongrad from Manehattan by train was normally just too much for a filly of her age, even sharing a cabin with other fillies. However, there was a pretty big freestyle up north being hosted, some of the biggest names currently in the rap game would be in attendance. So she had worked with her parents, negotiated, and ultimately come up with a satisfactory deal for all involved- she'd bunk with the perfume fillies who her parents knew, and the parents of all four fillies would split the costs to make them more tolerable. Wordplay hated relying on her parents. It offended her personal sense of pride, and as a rapper she felt ashamed that she couldn't make it big and start paying her parents back for their support. Well, it couldn't be helped. Until she found her entrance into the game...

Click clack, chug chug, click, zzz...

Wordplay heard the powerful driving cacophony of the train as it pushed along, found herself inadvertently stepping her hoof to it's 'downbeat' as she continued to trot down the train's length.

[colour=#ff00ff]"Lest the poor have even less,[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]Less the more they say but stop the press[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]The press is felt on everypony's belt[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]The belt is felt on everypony's felt[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]Fur, felt, hide, whip, chain on the beat[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]I chain through the beat with a verse don't cheat[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]Chain the mare who says that we've got problems,[/colour]

[colour=#ff00ff]What you say- somewhere under one hundred, I'd say..."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Wordplay trailed off, not because she didn't have more to go on, but because she had seen somepony familiar in her peripheral vision as she had been passing through, so she quickly backtracked. Sure enough, that was Octavia, the famous virtuoso of Canterlot, lying on her bed in a compartment. The mare was one of Wordplay's many artistic inspirations, she had a sense of visual-auditory artistry that could evoke powerful imagery within the listener. It was something Wordplay was bad with, as abstract and in-jokey as her rhymes tended to become. Wordplay waited until she had Octavia's attention, she held up a hoof in greeting.[/colour]

In a cabin on her own, a familiar mare was currently finding it hard to get any real shuteye as the train loudly roared it's way across from it's departure to it's destination - the lone pony finding her sense of focus entirely unable to remain settled...Nope, it was just no use - she quietly harrumphs and sat up straight again with a frustrated and somewhat exhaggerated sigh. " [colour=#800080]Ugh, this is taking forever[/colour]! " she utters under her breath as she looks up at the roof.

for some reason, Vinyl Scratch just couldn't sleep or relax on this train no matter what she tried - whilst she was fairly familiar enough with this method of travel over the years, it was just something that she'd never really been able to simply 'rest' in whilst she was in a compartment on her own...and seeing how the majority of her kit was locked away safely in cargo for the trip, she wasn't going to be able to just bust something out and play around with it for the duration of the trip.

" [colour=#800080]Perhaps I shoulda brought my harmonica...[/colour] " She mutters under her breath, watching the world racing past outside her window, puffing a few small strands of mane from behind her shades. It wasn't like she didn't like being on the train, however - it was more that there was just nothing to do when she travelled alone!

The Unicorn taps the floor with a hoof lightly in boredom - she didn't really know what more she could do in here to take her mind off of being in transit...

" [colour=#800080]Geez, I'm so bored.[/colour] " She mutters to herself again for what seemed to be the dozenth time - before her eyes drifted behind her shades towards the cabin door, and a small wry smile creeps over her muzzle as she realised that perhaps the best thing she could do at this moment was to just see who else was up and around, suffering the same style of predicament as herself...that is, being completely at the mercy of having absolutely nothing of enjoyment readily available.

" [colour=#800080]Perhaps the buffet compartment is open, too - could totally go for somethin' right now.[/colour] " She contemplates, as the door to her compartment is enveloped in a dull blue hue, opening at her willed command whilst she steps out into the hall and down to find out if there was anything a mischievously minded pony like herself could stumble across that would have SOME mild entertainment value to it.

octavia_post_banner_by_jaelachan-d5h4hog.png

The force of the train eventually paled in power when compared with the ringing symphony that gamely occupied her active imagination. The beauty of music was unheard by so many, the many tears she had shed at this fact buoyed only by the fact that what little contribution she could give would brighten their world. Perhaps one day the whole world would sound sweetly the music of harmony in such a manner that everypony could hear what she heard as she went about her day. She doubted that such a beautiful day would come, but a dream was enough for her. If you didn't have dreams then what was the point of rest? She assumed for most that rest was reward enough but she doubted that she would get that here. Someone was singing not far from her, rapping it sounded like to be honest. Not awful. Indeed, there was some talent behind it. Whoever was rapping was able to turn the racket of the train into a decent enough rap. She wouldn't call anypony she knew and get the rapper a record deal, but she felt that at least something was right.

Or she felt the song stop, shuffle, and pause at her door. It was irritating. Not because she had anything against someone stopping by of course. She was a lover of ponies from all over and valued companionship above all things- aside from harmonic tones, though the two had a habit of being one and the same. No, it was because she had a dislike of returning to the train's horrifying prattle without someone turning it into a beat of some kind. A few more seconds passed and one eye opened up, a hoof struck across it. She allowed the eyes to wander until she took on the mare, who had the air of music about him. Probably the rapper if her ears had judged the distance correctly. They always did.

[colour=#330066]"Well, that is an unusual way for someone to greet me. Octavia Trebleclef,"[/colour] She said, taking the hoof in hers and giving a harty shake as she sat up, [colour=#330066]"Traveling musician. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Missus...?"[/colour] She let the question hang in the air limply as she awoke, cursing her inability to sleep. Octavia allowed the mare her response before she stood up, tidying up her bowtie as her mind tried to formulate a plot to make up for sleep. Food would do.

[colour=#330066]"Would you like to accompany me to the dining cart? Sleep will not come easy this early, I suppose."[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"Well that is an unusual way for someone to greet me. Octavia Trebleclef." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay was surprised the mare had actually noticed her. She hadn't been intending to stick around until the mare noticed her, but she had sort of expected to be pointedly ignored until Wordplay had no choice but to awkwardly shuffle away and pretend that hadn't happened. Instead Octavia was rolling up and off her bed and straightening her famous bowtie. [/colour][colour=#4b0082]"Traveling musician. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Missus...?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay wasn't the time to get excited over her idols, she wasn't a fangirl. But this was out of the blue enough to at least put a pause in her own self-assuredness.[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"... Uh... oh. The name's Wordplay. I knew your name and profession already, I follow your work." [/colour][colour=#000000]Oh hay, was she saying they could eat together? Wordplay was still firmly not a fangirl, but she was getting kind of elated here. A chance to dine with one of music's truest geniuses, there was so much Wordplay could possibly divine from this mare about true art, so much that could be exchanged with Wordplay probably being the less educated and informed of the two. Okay, no time to get lost in fantasy. Keep talking, keep cool. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"Sounds good, I'll go. You were trying to sleep, eh? Big day coming up?"[/colour]

Vinyl had made her own way to the food cabin - perhaps giving a couple fans a quick wave or a hug, depending on how she felt at the time...she was one to get into the fray of things, doing whatever she could to give her fans a l'il something to remember her by - even if she wasn't strictly feeling at her best.

Her mane was a tad ruffled, and her shades a little smudged here and there, so this really was just her live and unplugged, so to speak...she had plenty of time when she got to the destination to get prepped and ready for the l'il underground shows she was attending, and to make sure she had opportunity enough to simply enjoy the sights and sounds of places that she didn't often get out to see. Hers was the life of a DJ on the go, and she never would want to trade it for all the bits in canterlot.

Casually she approached the occupied buffet table, the same magical pale-blue glow appears around a plate on the pile nearby as she lifted it up and towards her with a flick of her attention, tail lightly flicking in neutral whilst she surveyed her options - a few ponies nearby were clearly aware of who she was, and had given her a little chance to skip a few places in whatever flimsy attempt at a queue this was, letting the DJ mare really get a good chance to scope out and choose whatever she fancied.

"[colour=#800080] Ha, not bad...should travel the rail more often, this is pretty great[/colour]! " She utters to herself with a coy grin. " [colour=#800080]And now, Munchies[/colour]! "

And with that, the DJ mare simply joins in the crowds eager crowding and bustle as she selects and decides what she felt like eating, enjoying the warm casual occasional banter with the other ponies as she did so - it was days like these that reminded her of how great travel could really be!

starburst_post_banner_by_jaelachan-d5harto.png

In lieu of eating food from the buffet Starburst requested a silver tray of fresh sandwiches from the chef. They were likely to be quite delicious, and well worth the extra money she paid to have them special ordered as opposed to the typical buffet food. Starburst was normally one to frown on buffet fare, since it was normally heated using lamps or heated water and had poor taste compared to food that was freshly made. However.. the tray which was initially supposed to contain two, perhaps three sandwiches was now piled ten high due to the nature of the order she made. She was certainly unable to eat that many sandwiches on her own, so for now they sat there on the tray as she consumed the one that she had in her hoof.

After taking a bite she looked blissfully up at the ceiling, closing her eyes and savoring the taste of the gourmet ingredients. After opening her eyes she smiled a little and looked over at the buffet with disdain. Surely that food could not hold a candle to the glory that was these sandwiches. These sandwiches were like gold to her refined palate, she can only imagine what she could compare the buffet fare to.. but she shrugs to herself and finishes off the triangle sandwich that she had picked up, wiping a hoof on a napkin. She grabbed the bottle of cider sitting beside the tray, screwed a corkscrew into the bottle and popped the cork. She then poured a little bit into a glass and took a tip, mulling over its flavor. It was also quite delicious..

[colour=#4b0082]"My my my... This food is quite delicious.. I am impressed."[/colour] she couldn't resist saying to herself before taking another sip of cider. After her outburst she sighed a little and stared out the window, leaning on a hoof and observing the scenery as it slowly passed by. She only wished that someone would stop by and keep her company during the trip. She would be more than willing to share the sandwiches and cider she had procured with them... Lonliness does that to a pony.

Wordplay had a hard time keeping what excitement she was hiding under wraps. It was a fine effort, but her voice had been so confident and honeytipped when she rapped and had taken quite the perceptible dive. She had went from confident and level to excited and off-kilter. Good, that meant that Octavia's own leap had been correct. She was a fan. Octavia loved dealing with those whom she directly inspired, whether that was to achieve their own greatness or simply those who were inspired to open their minds up to the true melody of life. Octavia was just as blessed by her presence as this Wordplay was by Octavia's, if not more.

[colour=#330066]"Well, that will save me the time of detailing my strengths, I suppose," [/colour]Octavia said with a chuckle as she led the pair out of the room. There was the normal hustle and bustle one dealt with on a train but nothing too particularly eventful. Unlike others, Octavia rarely dealt with mobs of fans rushing her. Indeed, only those with a love of music and classical music to be a bit more accurate seemed to recognize her. That was the perfect level of fame for her. She never did well as the center of attention unless she was lost in her grand musical tradition. At the same time, it was a blessing to have the musically inclined approach her. The perfect level of fame.

[colour=#330066]"I am heading to Stalliongrad. The local symphony is down a string and the possible replacements are...well, I hope they're improving. I once had to tell a stallion that the tongue is not a useful tool in classical music,"[/colour] her voice grew gradually lower and her eyes sunk back into her skull as if reliving some particularly horrifying event. Before the darkness claimed her and she was reduced to a weeping shell, she shook her head and cleared out the crackling.

[colour=#330066]"I get to work with some of the most talented musicians outside of Canterlot for a few nights. It may only be a slight profit after you take out travel expenses, the hotel, and other necessities, but the experience will be worth it," [/colour]She spoke simply and with increasing positive tones. Yes, much better.

[colour=#330066]"What about yourself, Wordplay? Your voice is mellifluous,"[/colour] She asked as they breached the entrance into the food cart. Octavia's gaze fell forward, eventually spotting a small manner of commotion around a white and blue unicorn mare. It didn't take long for Octavia to identify her. Vinyl Scratch was possibly- well, not possibly, most definitely- the premier DJ in all of Equestria. Octavia hadn't really had too big a hoof in making any music in that particular genre that Vinyl seemed to relish, as few songs were ever in need of a true classical instrument. Still, you couldn't throw a rock at a major party in Equestria that didn't make a play at her. Octavia had been involved in some of the same overall events as her, even if she doubted if Vinyl had taken notice of her.

[colour=#330066]"And look at this. More musicians. My my, this train is simply loaded with talent."[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"Well, that will save me the time of detailing my strengths, I suppose," [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay nodded, it would indeed have been a futile motion to describe Octavia's body of work to Wordplay since she knew it all- not by heart exactly, but she had an excellent grasp of it all the same. It was the strangest thing, hearing stories from one of her musical heroes mouths directly. When one had an idol, they lauded them above the heavens in terms of ability and temperament. So to hear them talking of perfectly ordinary things... it was at once a happy let down and a sad equalization of the scales, though Wordplay would still put Octavia's skill as far above herself.[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"I- wait, what? As in, he couldn't sing? Or as in he actually used his tongue to play an instrument?" [/colour][colour=#000000]That last thought of hers was an especially strange mental image. Wouldn't that hurt if it were a classical instrument? Wordplay looked at Octavia at that moment, realized that she was having a moment, as if frightened by the thought she had just evoked. Wordplay stared, morbidly fascinated. She wasn't sure she wanted to have her question answered now. Sometimes ignorance was best, after all. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"Uh. Never mind, don't tell me. Sorry." [/colour][colour=#000000]She smiled sympathetically as Octavia came out of her reverie, for both their sakes that memory would hopefully not be revisited this day. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]So Octavia was in Stalliongrad for a very similar reason to herself. The only difference being that Octavia was already an established musician, while Wordplay was significantly less than that. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"If by 'mellifluous' you mean bad, then that's true; and if by 'mellifluous' you mean good, than thank you." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay shrugged apologetically, as if she were sorry for her lack of a lexicon. Though she was a quote unquote 'master' of wordplay, such a skill didn't demand advanced vocabularies. Multisyllabic words were hard to fit into a rhyme scheme anyways. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"That famous rap producer with the huge ego from Canterlot is hosting a big freestyle up in Stalliongrad, and it's a good opportunity..." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay trailed off as she appraised the dining cart, as she noticed the commotion Octavia had noticed around... [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"... You have got to be kidding me!" [/colour][colour=#000000]It was said in a happy way, as if Wordplay were thanking the Princesses for this one in a million opportunity. [/colour]

[colour=#000000]Vinyl was the second in Wordplay's trifecta of musical heros, the third being the stallion whose freestyle she was attending- good thing he couldn't be here lest Wordplay devolve into a fangirlish mess- because Vinyl was probably the best composer slash producer of the three. Her dance beats were legendary, and many a night had passed when Wordplay had heard them playing in the clubs she frequented. She was in the presence of greatness, twice over. Wordplay suddenly started looking about, nervous, as if she were an animal caught in a cage, her face flushed. She was finding it increasingly had to avoid having a reaction, one which would be humiliating for all involved. [/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"I-I-I guess it is." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay managed to stammer out. [/colour]

[colour=#800080]" Awwww, yeah - these sandwiches... [/colour]"

Vinyl was enjoying herself - sure, it looked a little unpro' to be stackin' her platter with a whole bunch of food and such, but she hadn't really had a good chance to since departing this morning, and these were the most delectable looking pieces of food that she'd clapped eyes on in over nearly 8 hours...

Well - she felt like she didn't need to justify squat to anypony!

'course, the crowd were taking things all in their own stride and pace - whoever was present was clearly enjoying themselves, and although she wasn't really here for the trains party needs, she still was clearly a clear and present driving force in keeping smiles on faces gathering around the food buffet tabes.

Vinyl wasn't just about her lush club sets and glorious tracks, her mindset was of a pony who enjoyed to give the world awesome, unequalled music in ways that nopony else could easily replicate. She wasn't the only DJ in equestria, of course, and she knew this - but that didn't mean she could simply let any of them steal a fraction of her attention...she wasn't in it to rival or be better than anypony, really, she was here doing this because she loved doing it for those who came for her performances.

" [colour=#800080]A'ight, everypony, one at a time - careful, nearly stepped on my tail there, bud...whoa - you can't eat alla them apple fritters - what in the hay are you doing[/colour]? "

The DJ mare said loudly, a wide smirk on her face as she looked around the few ponies nearby her...chuckling as a pony eagerly takes something she'd reached for herself. "[colour=#800080] WAIT...that's the last cress an' clover - trade ya some of these hay fries an' carrots[/colour]! "

Hers was the art of the party mare who made it her lifes work...she may not have been on the same level of wired that a certain pink pony mare she knew of had, but she could keep the crowds just as entertained, having led some of the most legendary gigs in plenty of Equestrias golden and illustriously awesome nightclubs, venues, warehouses and festivals.

Her role faded away a little as she gave a small wave to the crowd, deciding to trot away to a window seat...before realising that there was a rather odd pair in the room, and they'd been watching a little for the last few moments...one of them wearing a rather smart bowtie - an earth pony with a grey coat and a black well-groomed mane, one of the sorts you knew had talent and potentials just by lookin' at them.

Everything about the mare screamed classy, and she wouldn't have been surprised if she was in some big orchestra or something - she had that whole aura about her,

the other pony, Vinyl wasn't sure about as much about what she was seeing at the moment, not without talking to her first - she looked like she wasn't a stranger to attention but the look in her eyes seemed to show that she wasn't used to being around celebrities, or perhaps a crowded food carriage...the DJ wasn't fully sure which was most applicable, and thus just kinda tagged her as probably just a little bit weird.

"[colour=#800080] Huh... "[/colour] she utters to herself, raising a hoof to nudge her shades with a small, wry smile.

" [colour=#800080]I s'pose not everyone got here for the opener - maybe they'll stick around an' make things a little more interestin' for the main course![/colour] "

Oh, she knew that this wasn't exactly her party or her crowd, really, but her entire public act seemed to have electrified and livened up the crowd some...so it was probably just as good as an actual gig, only a heck of a lot less musical - Well, for the moment at least!

Starburst, quite unable to eat all of these delicious sandwiches on her own is in quite a conundrum. It would be a waste to let such expensive sandwiches go to waste, and she didn't want to have to throw them away. After a few minutes of watching the scenery pass by she came up with an idea and smiled happily. If she gave them away it would save somepony else some money on a buffet, plus she might make a few friends in the process.

[colour=#4b0082]"Excuse me."[/colour] Starburst said to a rather demure looking pony with a bowtie. [colour=#4b0082]"Would you and your friend care to join me? I happened to order quite a bit more sandwiches than I am able to finish on my own and I don't want them to go to waste, they were too expensive to be throwing away money like that. It would save you the cost of having to purchase a buffet plate. I also have a full bottle of cider here that I'm sure I won't be able to finish on my own as well that you and your friend can drink from.. with extra glasses of course."[/colour]

Octavia knew the fascination one felt when around such musical powerhouses was almost able to overwhelm even her senses. She had once had the privelege, the unique honor, of being in the same room as Edvard Ven Beethooften and The Six. She had nearly fainted and been brought low by their mere presence. So suffice it was to say she knew a starstruck filly when she saw one and as Wordplay caught all of Vinyl Scratch, Octavia decides to cut short their conversation. She might not get much more out of the filly.

[colour=#330066]"Let's get something to ea-"[/colour] She was about to say, looking out at the brilliant buffet laid out before them, before a kind mare came up to them and offered them some sandwiches. She wasn't particularly used to such overt kindness from strangers and she was certainly not going to decline the offer. Besides, cider was delicious.

[colour=#330066]"That sounds like a splendid idea, Miss...?" [/colour]Octavia asked, extending a hoof as they made their way to the table. There certainly was many sandwiches. Enough for her and her two friends- and even Vinyl. An idea shot through her.

[colour=#330066]"If you wouldn't mind,"[/colour] Octavia pointed towards Vinyl,[colour=#330066] "We'd like to send a small gift over to her. A sandwich would do well,"[/colour] Octavia smiled and nodded at Wordplay.

[colour=#330066]"And you can take it to her!"[/colour] Octavia motioned towards Vinyl. Hey, what better way to meet a star than with the gift of food? None. She laughed a little and then sat down.

[colour=#330066]"Quite the spread!"[/colour]

((I cannot find a record of your character app anywhere, Starburst))

[colour=#40e0d0]"R-really?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay looked between Octavia and Starburst, her normally strong self-control that she styled as her 'swagger' continuing to crack under the sudden pressure of what she could only assume was the good life. Just by being in the presence of greatness she was already getting free food. Wordplay bit her lower lip slightly, blushed a bit. It was as if she were having an allergic reaction, and she was struggling obviously to master herself before she did something stupid. As it was, she couldn't really say anything. She was afraid that she'd blurt something crazed out if she allowed herself a word to the others. So she just nodded, an attempt at a polite nod that wobbled all over the place, at Starburst's kindness. She had never drunk cider before. The bottle was quite tempting...[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Wordplay looked away when Octavia nodded at her. It was a good idea, a great idea even. Oh, and it would bring Vinyl over. Wordplay would probably just die on the spot if Vinyl were there at the same table as well. [/colour]

The gathering around where Vinyl was currently had started to thin a little as the buzz of the crowds started to dissipate a little...and this didn't really surprise te DJ mare as most folks were either too nervous to really talk to her directly, or had decided that it was better to simply let her do whatever it was she was doing. At any rate, she'd picked up as much on her plate as she could realistically muster and was starting to look around for a place to settle to eat, seeing as she couldn't really just plonk herself down by the buffet table - no, she needed to get a nice comfortable place to settle and nom out!

turning around, she spotted the small gathering of ponies that she'd seen earlier - deciding that this was probably about as cosy as any seat she was going to find around the place right now...and it sure did seem like this was one of the few tables that didn't have too many ponies crowded around it. As much as she loved being a social gal, she did also enjoy just a casual conversation with a few ponies now and then, as opposed to trying to hold massive conversations with

a much larger gathering of party-minded ponies - oh, she loved handling them, no doubt about that...but she still liked keeping it simple too!

Trotting over with her plate of sandwichs, snacks and drink levitating near her, she flashes her typical smile to the group as she rested her goods onto the table, noting that one of them was looking about ready to faint dead away with what she could only assume was either travel sickness, or pure nerves!

" [colour=#800080]Hey ponies[/colour]! " She says with a small cursory smirk as she looks around the group for a moment, raising a hoof in a casually-implied wave.

" '[colour=#800080]sup? Gotta love the service of this place - comfortable cabins, great food...just needs a l'il backing track to complete the scene, y'know[/colour]? "

She figured a small casual line might help to stir a little conversation with these ponies - although she had a nagging feeling that the one who was looking like they were about to explode probably might need something to help cool them off...she wasn't really lookin' all that well right about now.

[colour=#000080]"Starburst. I'm Starburst."[/colour] she said to Octavia as Vinyl came to grab the final seat at the table of four.[colour=#000080] "And you two are?[/colour][colour=#4b0082]"[/colour] she says, with interest.

[colour=#000080]"I've seen you at parties in Canterlot before I believe.. However I could be mistaken."[/colour] she says, addressing Octavia about her musical inclination. [colour=#000080]"But I don't know your names."[/colour]

[colour=#000080]"What brings you three to Stalliongrad? Feel free to help yourself to the cider."[/colour] she mentions to Wordplay and the other two.

Wordplay blanched when Vinyl came to sit beside her. She could only imagine how the mare must've felt at having one of her heroes sit beside her.

With a bit of a sadistic yet playful grin she addresses wordplay and the others with innumerable inquiries into their likes and dislikes of various foods and sundries.

[colour=#000080]"What kind of food do you normally consume? When you drink which do you prefer to imbibe? With you being a musician what kind of music do you enjoy the most? Are you into fashion? Who's your favorite designer?"[/colour]

Oh, and here was Death now with his great scythe or whatever the heck it was Death was portrayed with. He was tearing out Wordplay's soul, threshing it, burning it and replacing it with the worst of all spawned from evil, the soul of a fan girl. A sort of screech forced itself through Wordplay's tightly shut mouth, she slammed her head into the table. No doubt she looked like a complete foal right now. She had to calm down, had to breathe. They were just goddesses of music, that was it, that was all. No biggie. She could deal with it. She took several deep breaths, struggled to rally herself.

Then her head came up, she was looking more at the table than at the spread before her or at any of her elders. [colour=#40e0d0]"Uh, I'm going to have to apologize profusely in advance. There is a good chance I am going to do something stupid and humiliating before this train ride is over." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay half murmured that warning at everything except the three mares beside her. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"I'll answer your questions, just give me a moment to... something." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay kept her gaze away from the others, just stared down at her own spot of the table as if it held the answers to the deep questions of the universe.[/colour]

vinylbanner.png

Vinyl smirks slightly as she watched Wordplays moment of personal squeegasm take hold, finishing off her bite of a sandwich before looking back to Starburst with a small look of playful curiosity - she was used to being asked questions, it happened far more than she could count weekly...so this wasn't a big ol' deal.

" [colour=#800080]Well, hey there Starburst.[/colour] " the DJ mare speaks with a small grin, giving a small absent nod of the head before gettin' on into her own part of the discussion, given that the pony doubled over in what appeared to be a hyperventilated fit of over excitement. " [colour=#800080]If ya'all don't know who I am... [/colour]" She commented, glancing over at Wordplay momentarily just a little teasingly. " [colour=#800080]Although SOMEHOW I doubt That...names Vinyl Scratch, one if Equestria's most well known DJ's an' overall mistress of Ceremonies all across this l'il continent of ours[/colour]! " The white unicorn mare shrugs, takes a sip of the drink before her via a flick of her horn and a little casual magic, before continuing.

" [colour=#800080]Far as ya questions go, missy, I've had a few like 'em before...surprised ya didn't pick up a magazine or somethin' to check that out - 'parently I'm the face of Manehattan monthly or whatnot. [/colour]" She pauses, seemingly mulling the thought over her mind momentarily before a slight gigglesnort escapes. " [colour=#800080]And before anypony asks themselves why, if they ever get around to readin' it, I nearly got banned from that l'il party central...it's not MY fault the food fight spilled out into the streets that night, even if I did kinda sorta throw that cake at that one annoying pony. They all just kinda...Followed my misinterpreted lead a little, I guess - [/colour]

[colour=#800080]you'd think ponies would stop an' think about stuff like that, y'know[/colour]? "

She doesn't miss a beat as she takes a quick breath, snerks slightly, and then goes on to address the questions posed by Starburst.

" [colour=#800080]First up, Big fan of anything tasty...never been a fussy eater.[/colour] [colour=#800080]Favourite beverage is a big ol' manehattan stirred in with a l'il kicker of Griffon vodka, any brand'll do.[/colour] " She paused briefly for a moment of contemplation, and then resumes without even a change of her focused but amused expression. " [colour=#800080]As a musician, I'm pretty much all about anythin' my ears'll enjoy...but if ya know my type of music at all, then ya should know I love it just a teensy bit more, along with a l'il loose jazz in the evenings when the mood calls for it. [/colour]" The fashion question, as Vinyl recalled it, merely made her laugh slightly as she held up a hoof - a coy grin on her features.

" [colour=#800080]And Fashion ain't Typically my thing, but...I've been known to don a few things here and there when asked...but I'll be darned if I remember who makes what[/colour]! "

With that, the DJ Mare gave a small satisfied chuckle as she looks around the table to see just who would decide to follow her lead - it was always fun t'play along with a quick round of questions, and for the most part these were standard fare...but they'd sure help make light work of THIS odd moment, at least.

• Like 1

Sweet Melody was sitting at her table after having a splendid lunch when she overheard a few familar voices. She turned her attention to where the voices were coming from and noticed that quite an amount of musician ponies had gathered and were having a lovely chat. She decided to close the book she was currently reading and walk over to the chatting ponies.

[colour=#00FFFF]"Hello everypony. Having a splended day I hope." [/colour][colour=#000000]She said in a cheary voice as she approached the table [/colour][colour=#00FFFF]"I am Sweet Melody but you call me Mel if you like. [/colour][colour=#000000]She gestures to Vinyl and Octavia. [/colour][colour=#00FFFF]and you two must be Octavia and Vinyl Scratch how nice to meet you both.[/colour]

Starburst brings a hoof to her mouth and stops to think for a moment. [colour=#4b0082]"No I don't think I've heard of you before. The music that I normally play is in the tea shop is more of a classical nature."[/colour] she says to Vinyl Scratch. [colour=#4b0082]"However I have heard of Octavia, Maven of the Strings, Diva of the Doghouse base, The Celebrity of Classical music. A true prodigy of the Cello and other similar stringed instruments. In the tea shop the smooth sounds and dulcet tones go well with a taste of minty tea and delicious cake."[/colour] Starburst says as she takes a sip of the cider she had prepared.

[colour=#4b0082]"Though I wouldn't be unopen to listening to your repitoire to see if its something I might like. I even happened to have a pair of noise cancelling earphones with me to get rid of the ambient train noises and help me sleep."[/colour] Starburst says, reaching into a small bag below the table to pull out a pair of frilly purple lace-embroidered earmuffs. [colour=#4b0082]"The bottom of one side has a connector for a musical input. Not to mention it keeps other unwelcome train noises out of my thoughts."[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"Sometimes the train noises bother me and keep me awake, so I have a pair so I can sleep. I also have a cute little mask to keep the light out of my eyes. See?"[/colour] Starburst pulls the girly mask around her eyes and lets go of the elastic, it snapping into her head. It was at this time that someone came up to their table and addressed Vinyl and Octavia, which caused Starburst to then lift her mask off of her eyes and back into her bag.

She threw a sour glare at Melody as she came to visit the table. [colour=#4b0082]"Have you.. met before?"[/colour] she says, addressing Vinyl and Octavia, turning her head towards them.[colour=#4b0082] "She seems to know you two somehow."[/colour]

Of course Vinyl would come over before Wordplay could go to meet her idol. There were ponies here and Vinyl was the definition of public pony, not some introvert who was content with slamming down food and drink alone. Her public persona seemed to match rather accurately her private sensibilities. which was a refreshing change of pace. Several notable musicians she knew of had a nasty habit of playing snake in the mane. She seemed to also have a good self-awareness about her, as her story illustrated well. She hadn't heard of that incident but then again the two mares came from two different groups. Octavia's sort tended to lay their weary heads to rest at night while she had a sneaking suspicion that the types that flocked to Vinyl Scratch were a more rambunctious and moon-loving bunch. She could buy that they took her presence and decided to basically riot over something simple. A group like that always drank from a chaotic teet excitedly, the very vibrations from their excitement often enough to send less tenacious ponies scurrying to other activities.

She handled the questions well and Octavia felt as though the onus was on her to answer. This mare spoke in a rather exagerated fashion, did she not? She'd seen it before. A pony who was thrown off-center by the specter of celebrity compensating in their presence. Here, it was an odd speech pattern and a barrage of questions. It was unusual. It was endearing. It required answers.

[colour=#330066]"It's possible you've seen me at parties in Canterlot. Name's Octavia Trebleclef, professional musician," [/colour]Octavia extended her hoof out, choosing her words carefully. She played the cello as much as all other instruments combined, but thought that calling herself a musician in the grand sense was a more apt description of her desires. She didn't want to limit herself to the cello. That was, well, limiting.

[colour=#330066]"As for your questions,"[/colour] Octavia gave a nervous laugh as she processed them, [colour=#330066]"good lasagna is always a treat, but you can't get the good stuff outside of Roam. Rarely, anyway. There is this wonderful place in Manehatten though ran by some Roamanian immigrants. Spectacular. I like spiced apple cider, quick and easy to the point and delicious. if you want the best spiced cider, Apploosa has this wonderful little place. To die for, really. Musically I'm inclined to love the classics, but I'll listen to anything of quality. A well-tuned ear doesn't dislike a genre. It just dislikes poor quality. As for fashion,"[/colour] Octavia gave a laugh as she indicated her bowtie and then shrugged,[colour=#330066] "not really! I find that clothes are restricting. Unless it is winter, then a saddle and some socks are plenty and I don't tend to buy the designers for that. Function rather than form,"[/colour] Octavia took a bite out of a nearby sandwich. It was delicious; Starburst's taste was exquisite. In sandwiches, at least.

[colour=#330066]"And I'm heading to Stalliongrad for the local symphony is down a string and the possible replacements are...errr, inadequate. I get to work with some of the most talented musicians outside of Canterlot for a few nights. It may only be a slight profit after you take out travel expenses, the hotel, and other necessities, but the experience will be worth it,"[/colour] Octavia offered hopefully as she took a seat. It was barely a moment more before a new mare joined the discussion, and she seemed to have some knowledge of both Vinyl and Octavia. Starburst seemed a bit perturbed by this, but it didn't come as a real shock. A lot of ponies knew Vinyl and a fair few knew Octavia. They were celebrities, though one star surely burned brighter than the other.

[colour=#330066]"Nice to meet you as well, Miss Sweet Melody,"[/colour] Octavia offered her hoof as Starburst questioned her,[colour=#330066] "And it doesn't come as a shock. Vinyl is an Equestrian celebrity and you seem to know plenty about me," [/colour]Octavia's playful smile was wide and undimmed as Starburst continued. She was certainly a mare who didn't lack for something to say. The noise cancelers intrigued her, though in more of a morbid fashion. Even uncouth sound was sound and silencing yourself to it felt like it was a crime to octavia, but she'd allow Starburst her methods.

[colour=#330066]"A nice little composition we have here. A...wordsmith, DJ, two classical musicians and a...?" [/colour]She tilted her head to Sweet Melody, hoping to figure out how she fit into the grand scheme of things.

Wordplay happened to look in Vinyl's direction just as she shot her a teasing look, and that was when she had died, officially. Okay, no. At this point Wordplay was exaggerating a bit. She had managed to get most of her more foalish instincts under control, she had gone from outright repressed fangirlism to repressed fangirlism within the facade of normalcy. She seemed a bit more stiff than should have been normal for anypony, but beyond that she managed to put on a small smile, talk politely, and not devolve into a sub-pony mess of a mare. She could even hold eye contact for a brief second before she had to look away with a quick blush.

[colour=#800080]"And before anypony asks themselves why, if they ever get around to readin' it, I nearly got banned from that l'il party central...it's not MY fault the food fight spilled out into the streets that night, even if I did kinda sorta throw that cake at that one annoying pony. They all just kinda...Followed my misinterpreted lead a little, I guess - [/colour][colour=#800080]you'd think ponies would stop an' think about stuff like that, y'know[/colour]?"

[colour=#40e0d0]"I uh, had read that story, actually." [/colour][colour=#000000]Too right she had. Wordplay had been so infuriated, she had never gotten a chance to see Vinyl live in her own hometown before she got herself thrown out of it. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"To be honest, you kind of had it coming to you. People look up to you, and your music's entrancing, as in it's hard to carry a rational thought through listening to it, it's that good. I'd probably have been caught up in the mess had I been there." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay shrugged. It was the truth. The rest of the information that followed had been things covered by magazines in Manehattan, but it was still nice and disconcerting to hear them directly from the musician's mouth. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"Let them eat cake, I suppose."[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"There is this wonderful place in Manehatten though ran by some Roamanian immigrants. Spectacular."[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"I think I know what you're talking about. I've eaten at a place like that with my family before. Is it the one with the guy with the really funny accent who checks on you once every minute on average?" [/colour][colour=#000000]That had been such an endearingly nice service, on top of the food actually being good. Wordplay was wonderfully surprised, it seemed to be harder to come by public information on Octavia than it was Vinyl. Hearing out her tastes was thus a great boon to her, even in her semi-phsycopathic state at the moment.[/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"In the tea shop the smooth sounds and dulcet tones go well with a taste of minty tea and delicious cake."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The petite little mare said this, said Starburst was her name. It was frankly just as hard to address her as it was the other two, because of the noble air this mare had as her style. Wordplay wasn't 'fancy', it was hard for her around those types of ponies as she felt herself coming out as uncouth in the presence of the aristocracy. And unlike a similarly classy girl like Octavia, Wordplay didn't even have any known existing commonality with this one to overcome the awkwardness of their differences in style. Thankfully, this one wasn't famous, at least as far as Wordplay was concerned. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"Mmm. So is that a store in Manehattan, I assume? I've never been around to it, if you could give me the address..."[/colour]

[colour=#00ffff]"Hello everypony. Having a splended day I hope."[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"Uh, yeah?" [/colour][colour=#000000]Sweet Melody, 'Mel', seemed to be the closest pony to Wordplay's own level at the moment. She was a bit thankful for her arrival, since she was the first mare here who she could talk with without feeling like she had to talk up, talk to someone out of her league somehow. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"Going to echo Ms. Octavia's question here. What do you, uh, do as a musician?"[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"As for me, the name's Wordplay." [/colour][colour=#000000]She had to resist the urge to say something crass for her favorite food and drink. Good, good. Her sense of sarcasm was recovering from her celebrity induced shock. [/colour][colour=#40e0d0]"I find it hard to have a favorite food and drink, since I do live in Manehattan. Center of cultural fusion as it is, I honestly don't know what cuisine I'm eating half the time while I'm there. But I'll generally spring for something Eastern if I can help it. Big fan of spicy food. Now I like all music with quality, same as Ms. Octavia and Ms. Scratch, but to be honest I have to spring for rap. As my name implies, I love lyricism and wit, and it often shines through best in well produced rap, in my opinion." [/colour][colour=#000000]Fashion was another one of Wordplay's interests, she could say a lot about that:[/colour]

[colour=#40e0d0]"Well uh, in the hip-hop game there's an emphasis on designer brands of clothing. I know most of the Canterlot lines, I follow Hoity Toity and the other big fashion critics, I know some of the brands outside of Canterlot but they're not as important to my game. I suppose that's because Canterlot's one of the few places where ponies regularly wear clothes? That's why Canterlot's a center of rap, despite the seeming paradox that exists in that being the case." [/colour][colour=#000000]Wordplay decided to stop there. She'd already said enough on the subject, she might look bad if she kept going on it.[/colour]

[colour=#330066]"A nice little composition we have here. A...wordsmith, DJ, two classical musicians and a...?[/colour][colour=#330066]" [/colour]

[colour=#330066][colour=#40e0d0]Going to echo Ms. Octavia's question here. What do you, uh, do as a musician?"[/colour][/colour]

[colour=#00FFFF]Hmm? Oh yes I play the violin. [/colour][colour=#000000]The white unicorn replied gestureing back at her seat where a deep blue violin case was laying up against the table. [/colour][colour=#00FFFF]I'm actually on my to Stalliongrade for the symphony as well. [/colour][colour=#000000]She turned to Starburst and gave a kind smile [/colour][colour=#00FFFF]Yes how could you not heard of Vinyl Scratch and I've seen Octacvia before in my own travels I still do, but never got to meet them both face to face. [/colour][colour=#000000]She turned back to her table and her horn glew with a sky blue as she lifted the violin case and it floated towards. When it reached her she released the magic and placed the case by her side and smiled.[/colour]

[colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#40E0D0]"To be honest, you kind of had it coming to you. Ponies look up to you, and your music's entrancing, as in it's hard to carry a rational thought through listening to it, it's that good. I'd probably have been caught up in the mess had I been there." [/colour]Once Wordplay had made her thoughts on what Vinyl had said regarding the article known, The unicorn DJ mare decided to speak up with a chuckle.

" [colour=#800080]Hey, I know things were a little screwy that night - I totally took the blame for it, an' paid up what I could afford...surprisingly, talks with the folks in charge went pretty well, an' my sponsors kinda agreed to adhere to whatever was decided in future, no hard feels. [/colour]" Said Vinyl matter-of-factly. " [colour=#800080]Nopony got hurt, at least, but there was a fair mess in the club an' on the streets outside. We cleaned as much of that as we could, made a public apology an' accounted for the whole shebang...I might be a bit of a party mare, at heart, but I know when I gotta do my part t'keep things real outside too.[/colour] "

Vinyl then casually waved a hoofwave of welcome to the new entrant as she announced her arrival - not really sure what to make of her exactly right at this moment, but not really bearing it in mind too much...she was seemingly aware of who Vinyl was along with the Grey earth pony, Octavia, whom Vinyl had heard about a few times in a couple of circles. Of course, she'd never personally met Octavia, but from what she'd heard about the cello playing Earth pony, she was a pro at her art - Vinyl could respect the artist side of her at least.

She then snerked slightly when Starburst said she'd never heard of her during her own questions and answer session, like it was s'posed to be a shame or somesuch...although it didn't really annoy vinyl as much as it did make her curious why the pony would choose to say it that way. She didn't really care if ponies didn't KNOW of her, but when they kinda made it sound like it was a big deal that they weren't in the know, that kinda sat wrong for the DJ mare...however, she let the fact slide - the trainride was no place to start letting her bugbears get the better of her. She addressed Octavia, of course, since she was the other major name in the group...and to be honest, that made sense to Vinyl, since Octavia did seem more of this ponies taste given her answers - although, she thought to herself, she might just need a sample of the club life someday!

Anyhow, ignoring anything regarding starburst and the new arrival for the time being, Vinyl focused on how Octavia answered the questions - she was clearly one ofthe upper class ponies, which was always an interesting type. However, she didn't seem to be as stiff, which struck the DJ as a refreshing change of pace - Canterlot entertainers of the classical type were usually whimsically posh and stuck in their ways...whereas Octavia seemed, for the most part, open and at least mostly amiable, although her classical background still shone through like a sore thumb in some of her answers - oh. and in her use of language, which did seem to become a little flowery and purple at times to the Simply Straight-talking Unicorn DJ.

Still, as far as Canterlot folks went...yeah, this mare didn't seem to be so bad.

Wordplay had herself a little diatribe about her answers to the questions, which Vinyl listened to and nodded a little at - a rapper, it seemed, which Vinyl sorta approved of a little. Sometimes she'd helped out a few ponies with some beats at parties, and perhaps even loaned her own {albeit not as hotly sought} vocals to things if she was asked. Wasn't often she found one like wordplay, though, which prompted Vinyl to give a coy reactionary smirk as she pondered what she should discuss with this one later...she'd be the pony that perhaps a DJ could relate to more than those with a classical outlook, such as Octavia or Starburst.

" [colour=#800080]Nice t'meet ya, Miss Wordplay - I get the feelin' me and you might jus' have a few conversations t'look forward to[/colour]! " She says with a small nod.

" [colour=#800080]Heck, I've rapbattled a couple times with friends...if ya ever feel up to something, swing by clubs at canterlot, an' I'd lay some down with you anytime[/colour]! "

At this point, Melody piped up about playing the Violin and knowing about Vinyl and Octavia - Vinyl pauses for thought and raises an eyebrow as she tried to remember all the times she'd come across some of these types...ponies who didn't really have a whole lot to say about what they did. In a small social situation like this, Vinyl felt like she simply wasn't trying to get herself known, rather sticking to more basic details rather than speaking about herself in general.

Well, this was definitely quite an odd gathering of ponies, to be sure - Vinyl wasn't ultimately sure if it was going to be a problem or not, but at least when in the company that she was keeping right here and now, there at least promised to be a very interesting dynamic amongst them...and whether or not it proved to last throughout the whole train ride, at least the DJ Mare knew one thing for sure: She wasn't likely to get bored with anypony here around!

(ooc): Here's a musician who lives in Stalliongrad!

[colour=#000000]

sml_gallery_475_9_45345.png[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Tankena[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Emerging from one of the back cars of the train is a yawning green mare with blonde mane and tail. She stands out due to the goggles and other 'assessories' she wore on her stout looking body and the very large 'super firecracker rocket' cute mark on her flanks. When she entered the dining car and saw the other ponies gathered around, Tankena decides to join them.[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Greetings, comrades!" [/colour]she shouted in her Stalliongradian accent. [colour=#006400]"I am Tankena, but friends call me Tank Mare! May I join you for dining pleasure? I cannot wait to return to my beloved Stalliongrad! You all look like musicians, da? This is good because I play the balalaika in orchestra! We in Stalliongrad LOVE duh sound of the balalaika to do traditional dances with. Did all of you bring warm clothing? Stalliongrad is famous for long winters and big snowfalls!"[/colour]

[colour=#006400](ooc): In case anyone doesn't know what a balalaika is or sounds like....[/colour]

[colour=#006400]

[/colour]

Starburst inquired more into the spiced cider that Octavia had enjoyed in Appleloosa.

[colour=#4b0082]"Was the place you purchased that cider from called "Starbucks Saloon"? I've owned that establishment in Appleloosa since The owner of the Salt lick sold the building to me. I turned it into a little cafe where you can get coffee, tea, cider, and cakes at reasonable prices. I've had it for quite some time now.. I don't have time to run it so I've delegated the management to Morton since he's such a talented individual.. I also run "A little slice of heaven" in Canterlot. It's a tea shop built ontop of a cloud outside Canterlot's fine-dining district. There's a plank that leads from the ground there to the establishment, and It can be moved between Canterlot and Cloudsdale easily enough because of its location. All of my businesses use mine and my mothers recipes for cooking and mixing drinks for everypony, so if there's anything in particular you like I'm sure I could replicate the recipe for you here in the kitchen for a moment." [/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]"I can make a delicious pie or a cake for you. Would you like one?"[/colour] she said as the balalaika playing pony stepped up to the table to introduce herself. Her little table was turning into quite the gathering place, and as much as she was used to the hustle and bustle of rich ponies in Canterlot she doubted that this would be a similar type of meeting. The majority of ponies here were musicians of some sort, so the topic was sure to be music.

Starburst smiled a little and asked Octavia, [colour=#4b0082]"Are you a fan of T'clopski? I think he was the best classical composer of his time."[/colour]