Equestria: Hereditary Thaumocracy?

BrainedBySaucepans

Hi,

I'm currently preparing an RP thread, and a question has occurred to me: am I correct in assuming that Equestria is a Hereditary Thaumocracy (where the ruling dynasty is in power due to their inherent magical power) in Mane RP, or is some other system of government in effect?

Details here if you want more context:

EDIT: Had a sudden brainwave and decided to read through Diomedes' Celestia app. It cleared up a lot for me, but I may as well summarise what I gleaned from it, just in case I'm completely misreading things:

Celestia is effectively immortal, and is the supreme ruler by dint of her vast magical power (although being compassionate, wise and having deposed the tyrannical former ruler don't hurt either). Therefore while Equestria is a Thaumocracy, the hereditary bit doesn't apply. Perhaps it's deiocentric, but I get the feeling that's just a word I've made up...

Sound about right?

Yeah, what's in Dio's app about Celestia I suppose can be taken as the board canon for her position as ruler. We don't really know the exact way it all works in regards to how Equestria is ruled and governed, and until the (perhaps unlikely) time that it is explained for us in canon, we can't give a clear answer. Dio's app passed a staff vote though and was approved, so the information it contains can be regarded as accepted board canon until the time that we receive a different, canon explanation.

We don't really know the exact way it all works in regards to how Equestria is ruled and governed, and until the (perhaps unlikely) time that it is explained for us in canon, we can't give a clear answer. Dio's app passed a staff vote though and was approved, so the information it contains can be regarded as accepted board canon until the time that we receive a different, canon explanation.

Would you suggest picking a different topic for the thread then? My intention is to take the debate along the lines of whether innate magical power is sufficient qualification to rule. I personally feel there's enough to go on, but don't want to tread on anyone's toes/hooves...

Hmm, well, up to you. The worst that could happen is that something discussed in the thread might be proven false If it is explained in canon later on. Personally, I think you'd be fine though. It seems a reasonable enough debate to have to me. :)

• Like 1