I'm curious as to how the evil King took over in the first place. We just gotta see more of the guy!

I'm also curious to see what sort of backstory the fandom will provide for Sombra. Was he the twisted embodiment of Order, just like Discord is for Chaos? Did the tyrannical Celestia (fans endorse silly things) betray Sombra somehow? :P

I have to say that I was very disappointed with King Sombra in his debut episode. I was expecting him to eventually enter the Crystal Empire in his "pony form" (by at least the end of the first part similar to Night Mare Moon) and start drowning it in darkness. I was also disappointed that he did not confront the Mane 6/Shining Armor and Mi Amore Cadenza directly at any point in "pony form" during the episode(s), (except somewhat during the last 10 seconds of his existence, but I hardly count this) like the other Threats to Equestria did(that's what I'm calling them XD). Yes, I do realize that the show is rated "Y," though I feel that the other Threats to Equestria were presented as more sinister than King Sombra. I mean, sure he tried to drown the Crystal Empire in darkness again, but he hardly had any screen time/speaking roles, and I believe that he did not have as much of a chance to establish himself as a character like the other Threats of Equestria did.

Despite the villain's unsatisfying portrayal, the rest of the episode was entertaining and overall I found it enjoyable. I hope that Discord warps reality to bring Sombra back to wreak havoc upon Equestria. I give the episode 3/5.

Question: why did nonpony in the Mane Six think to bring the Elements of Harmony along for the trip to the Crystal Empire? It would have made handling Sombra a much easier affair, being able to just blast rainbows at the king until he gets vanquished like Nightmare Moon and Discord did.

Question: why did nonpony in the Mane Six think to bring the Elements of Harmony along for the trip to the Crystal Empire? It would have made handling Sombra a much easier affair, being able to just blast rainbows at the king until he gets vanquished like Nightmare Moon and Discord did.

Maybe because it was noted the magic of the empire itself was very powerful, in fact it might have been more powerful then the elements considering how Sombra got his end

Maybe because it was noted the magic of the empire itself was very powerful, in fact it might have been more powerful then the elements considering how Sombra got his end

Still, there's nothing to indicate that Sombra was immune to the power of the Elements. Chances are those Elements are what helped got him trapped in ice for a thousand years in the first place.

a few deeper thoughts of this episode:

1.i feel like that whole "dark magic" thing is gonna play a role in this season, like with twilight trying to delve deeper into it because, come on, we know twilight and how curious she gets with magic.

2.king sombra was actually more of a horror character, i mean think about it, he like one of those sit there and be scary type characters, and if you think of him like this, he is a better character, meaning studio b went for a more "fear factor" character, and if you think about it, he is actually a kind of scary character, like not all dumbed down for the children, sure he looked kinda rediculous but the way the episode played out, he was actually creepy.

3.that whole rarijack moment was just for us bronies, and i for one enjoyed it, and thought it was funny.

hi hi

Finally got a chance to watch it, and I admit my feelings are mixed. There were lots of good moments, but overall I didn't feel like things fit together as smoothly as they could have. There was just so much stuff happening, one right after the other, at break neck speed... I guess I just have too much of an attention span for that. It was like they tried to fit four episodes worth of stuff into just two, and I kept wanting them to slow down and focus on these good moments that I liked and explore them in greater depth.

• Loved the way Luna was a legitimate voice of reasonable dissent.

• Loved Pinkie Spy.

• Loved the reprise at the end.

• Loved how Applejack kept ponies away while remaining honest.

• Loved Twilight's personal journey.

• Loved how Spike got to save the day.

• I wish we could have spent more time at the fair, made it feel like a real event instead of just a bunch of snapshots.

• I wish we could have explored Twilight's worst fear in a bit more depth, and how that experience weighed on her final decision.

• I wish we could have actually gotten to know one of the crystal ponies to get a real feeling for what they were going through. Their instant change upon seeing the fair made them feel a bit two dimensional.

Thankfully, although the plot was complicated and didn't get nearly as much time to develop as it deserved, at least it made sense.

Also: I guess this season isn't going to be about friendship reports?

(Also also: gravity magic was totally awesome)

As for some of the other comments people have made here...

I liked that King Sombre was just sort of in the background, in fact, I think they messed it up a little bit by having him too much in the foreground. If you ask me, they would have been better off if he didn't attack them right at the beginning. There's an element of suspense that works very well by having the danger remain a mystery.

King Sombre didn't die. They clearly showed how he could break himself into pieces and put himself back together again when the tip of his horn snapped off and rejoined with the rest of him later. Then, when he was defeated, they threw his horn -entirely intact- flying right by the camera in a shot that was so blatantly obvious that I cant imagine it being random chance.

Everypony turned into a crystal pony at the end. That leads me to believe that they're really not a separate type of pony. Its just a kind of enchantment. (Perhaps under the "marketing" school of magic? :P )

• Like 1

Actually, I think this might have been part of Twilight's test. That is too say, how well she could deal with a threat without the ultimate deus ex machina. If the mane 6 just went in with the elements there would have been no challenge for Twilight, and therefore it wouldn't have been much of a test.

I have to disagree with you guys. I liked Sombra as a villain, and he's easily better than Discord (who I simply did not like). Yes he doesn't say much, but... the guy is basically the fog from Silent Hill, with a face. And yes, the door was awesome.

I really loved this episode, I just wish they hadn't left the "next level of Twi's training" plot hook hanging. Also, Sombra's horn breaking didn't turn out to be that important.

Nine-out-of-Ten. The only real "issue" I had was the "I wasn't prepared for this" song (though I liked it fine during the Reprise... just the first time it seemed like padding because she was refusing to answer Spike's question, when she could've just said "Different kind of test, Spike.")

They clearly showed how he could break himself into pieces and put himself back together again when the tip of his horn snapped off and rejoined with the rest of him later.

Does that make Sombra a T-1000, I wonder? xD

And yep, it look like his body got fragmented into numerous pieces right before the shot with the intact horn flying past the camera. There is a slight chance the king could have survived and reformed himself from his fragments, T-1000 style.

• Like 1

Spoilerd because frickin' brony fanboi! Mind vent ahead....

Celestia and Luuuuuuna!

Twilight likes big books and she cannot lie!

Implied Alicorn Twilight is best Twilight!

Crystal fillies!

Liking the evil music for Sombra and the idea that he kept slaves (I think it was Flutterscotch who posted a comic about crystal pony slaves in another thread), also spreading dark crystals is a fantastic ability for a computer game or timed RPG!

Evil Celestia! (Well evil looking but...)

Post-apocalyptic Shiny is best Shiny! (Also, now infected by evil?) :-|

Crystal kingdom is sooooo pretty, loving Rarity's reaction to it!

As per S1E2 spies are a thing! Who has been an enemy of the various nations that were sending spies?

Crystal Rarity! Flutterpinkie!

DAT LIBRARY! (Also entire library of books lost for 1000 years! Curiosity's family might be getting a new job/assignment!)

Griffin statues, previous knowledge, (conquest or alliance?), with the Griffin kingdoms?

Last page torn from book! Who does that!?!?

Maybe the fair but the crystal ponies seem to have a lot more mane and tail decorations than we've seen.

Another reason not to have negative emotions, (staying happy keeps the evil gribblies away), another evolutionary advantage to co-operation and friendship!

Dark magic is canon! ERMERGERD!

Down then up stairs, best FPS head mess evar!

Evil Celestia again! Noooooo, Twilight....

Two 'cornhusk' sisters as BG ponies during the joust.

Gravity spells...

Check for traps Twilight! First level mistake!

Anti magic spell/material is canon?

Northern crystal lights, so pretty!

Mysterious book teleported in by Luna! :?:

Absolutely my best kind of episodes, new world and society information, epic style quests, reminders of tabletop gaming and all wrapped up in a nice internally consistent bundle. One happy brony right here!