Papyrus [READY]

Papyrus

Roleplay Type: World of Equestria

Name: Papyrus, often nicknamed Pap

Sex: Female

Species: Unicorn

Eye colour: Bright amber

Coat: Light emerald green, well-groomed and silky

Mane/Tail: Strong red; burgundy, combed rather straight with a few stray hairs here and there

Physique: Average height, a tad bit more weight than the standard pony

Residence: Canterlot, The Foothills, Equestria

Occupation: Author, best known for her tragedies (note: writes under the pseudonym of Candy Corn, explained below)

Cutie Mark: Small brown inkwell, with red feather with a yellow quill to the left of it. She received her cutie mark one summer night, when she had finally finished the journal her aunt had bought for her last Hearth's Warming Eve. As she wrote the last entry, she decided to flip to the beginning, and was amazed how much her writing had progressed over time. She closed the journal and put it under her bed, then she unfurled a scroll and began to write. Papyrus' quill danced until sunrise, when she finally rolled over and submitted to sleep. The foal didn't even notice the sparkling on her flank when she finally rested off her long adventures in another (fictional) world that existed purely in her imagination until that night.

History: Papyrus was born in Fillydelphia, where her parents moved for a short period of time for the quietness and serenity in comparison to Manehatten, but they soon returned due to their homesickness. They sent the green foal to a private school. She was not very skilled with schoolwork, but thanks to her father's fortune he collected from his profitable carriage repair shop, tutoring was always available to keep her grades up. Her intelligence wasn't the problem, but rather her impatience and short attention span. These were also an obstacle in trying to befriend her classmates. She wasn't very concerned about the beginning stages of friendship, and instead she opted to instantly put her faith in ponies she hardly knew, and skip getting to know them. Because of this, Papyrus never had too many friends and learned to enjoy being alone a lot more over socializing, but she still had a pal or two that enjoyed her company. However, the results were permanent, and she became awfully rude to ponies other than her close friends in the future, just because of her lack of experience. Her parents were Nutty Bolts, an eccentric orange-coated repairstallion with a wrench for a cutie mark, and Palette, a pale yellow unicorn who was head-over-hooves for the visual arts. Pap loves them dearly, but they have a tendency to not even try to understand her interests the way she attempts to tolerate theirs (though she fails to realize her habit of doing the same thing). With help from her mother's constant coos about following her dreams and her father's perfect modeling of hard work, she pursued writing once she got her cutie mark. She was enrolled in a few writer's workshops, and once she graduated from school her skill with words was impeccable. Papyrus made several short stories from her new small apartment in Canterlot and began to sell manuscripts on street corners However, with her amazing success and lack of people skills combined, she decided to start writing under the pseudonym of "Candy Corn" to avoid crowds and interviews. She continued to expand as a literary artist since then, and hopes to leave her mark in history.

Character Summary: Papyrus always has good intentions, but due to her awkwardness they tend to lead into the wrong places. Her social anxiety prevents her from doing the good for society she wishes she could accomplish, and she hopes that one day she will overcome it. Until then, though, she still has her favorite hobbies that she is very skilled at. As implied by her name, Papyrus loves exploring the deepest corners of her mind for a good, entertaining story (depending on your definition of "entertaining", and its similarity to "heart-wrenching"), but she also has a passion for baking sweets. Even though she has an issue with sharing her pastries with anyone, she has the notion that she's doing good to the community by making them. Some other things she enjoys just as much are taking long, solitary strolls in Whitetail Wood, and making scarves in her spare time (though she'd do much more than just little scarves if she had the talent). However, she has a certain instinct to run away and never return if she has to go to a large social gathering or take care of a more active animal. Besides for what she likes externally, trying to befriend Papyrus, or even talk to her, without her making the first move is a bad idea. Her experience in conversation is lacking, and she becomes very nervous and intimidated if someone wants to have a lively conversation. Ironically, her fear of weirding out the person on the other end often becomes the reason why she does. Along with her slight social handicap, Papyrus also isn't very good at giving advice, or being very athletic. Most of her strength is in her magic, but even then her strongest spell in terms of a fight is a magical barrier large enough to surround her for a short minute or two.

Hey there!

Papyrus looks good to me. I like the name for one thing--it's a little different but still seems to fit nicely with the feel of the show. Her motivations tie in very nicely with her cutie mark story, and her flaws (naivete, school troubles and super nervoius about big gatherings) are subtle, realistic, and overall add to the depth of character.

Her skill at writing fits well with her background and cutie mark story as well, and you didn't try to make Papyrus Equestria's most famous novelist or the greatest thing since ink was put to paper. I really like this character.

Since you asked for some constructive criticism, I've tried to find a few suggestions for how you could improve, but overall I think this application shows you have the idea of writing applications and know this character well. My only suggestion would be to write more. Not on this application, which I feel has just the right amount of information, but in general, and do plenty of reading to see how various authors describe their characters. Then, challenge yourself to describing characters in different styles, and also to writing up characters you just plain wouldn't like while trying to understand their motivations. Those are very general suggestions regarding characters in general, if you feel you'd like to improve that aspect of your writing; I don't think any of that needs to be applied here.

Looks good to me! I'd say mark it [READY] and I'll pass it on to the Wise Council for approval!

Love her. Glad to see another pony writing under a pseudonym (mine writes trashy romance novels, she doesn't even pretend to be a good writer) :)

You have a good handle on the character being unique without being overly super-special, and bringing how she interacts with friends into her backstory was a good call.

AppApproved.png