A foxy companion

starswirlthebearded

I was looking over the accepted companion list and failed to notice the presence of foxes. Now though technically part of the same family as dogs (canidae) I just want to make sure that it is OK, as they are rather unique in that family (granted this is just an idea that I'm toying with right now)

I'm also wondering if it is allowed what are the limits of intelligence. Now naturally it isn't going to be as intelligent as playable species, but it seems to me that creatures of MLP:FiM have more intelligence than the real world counterparts. And would that allow for some autonomy if that is the case? If so, how much?

Lastly, can companion animals have some sort of unspoken (as in innately understood or otherwise) communication with their pony?

I'm assuming after looking over Tales's Lenore app, that I'd have to reactivate the app that this animal will be the companion of and add it there. If this is incorrect let me know.

I'm assuming after looking over Tales's Lenore app, that I'd have to reactivate the app that this animal will be the companion of and add it there. If this is incorrect let me know.

Well, that bit is correct.

As for a fox, I'd argue that foxes are carnivores, but Pinkie has Gummy and we see Fluttershy feed fish to Ferrets. :P I say that even though we haven't seen one in show, it seems like a realistic enough species to pass. That's all pending RP Helper jurisdiction though.

As far as I've seen with character's like Angel Bunny and Winona, they seem to have a higher intelligence than Earth pets, but still not enough to be able to learn to speak. Heck, even real world dogs can be trained to open refrigerators and fetch slippers. We've also never seen any leashes... which would lead me to believe that pets are quite loyal. That, and you can't really put them on with hooves... So, anyway, keeping it within the realms of what's been seen in show is your best bet.

Foxes are omnivorious. They are primarily carnivorous, but can eat other things. But dogs are too... so... yeah!

And I never planned on having it speak (it because I haven't decided on a gender yet as it is inconsequential to the rest of it... Might as well flip a coin XD), but rather an understood communication almost, and at least the ability to confer feelings and understand speech.

Edit: WAIT! Zecora has a fox for a companion named Bright Eyes?!

Well that answers that question at least :razz:

Foxes are omnivorious. They are primarily carnivorous, but can eat other things. But dogs are too... so... yeah!

And I never planned on having it speak (it because I haven't decided on a gender yet as it is inconsequential to the rest of it... Might as well flip a coin XD), but rather an understood communication almost, and at least the ability to confer feelings and understand speech.

Edit: WAIT! Zecora has a fox for a companion named Bright Eyes?!

Well that answers that question at least :razz:

She got her from Corsairs Pet adoption rp XD

Bright Eyes is not canon XD but in my portrayal of him he acts as a second pair of hooves for Zecora, fetching things and being adorables

As far as I've seen with character's like Angel Bunny and Winona, they seem to have a higher intelligence than Earth pets, but still not enough to be able to learn to speak.

"Who?"

But meh, Rising Star has a Caracara as companion. Basically I somehow underestimated its size, because it turns out that Caracara is nearly third size of human's height... Anyway, in nature these are carnivorous. But I don't see any reasons for why I couldn't change that. Besides, it's not like you're going to roleplay his/hers meals by exactly describing what he/she eats ;D And even if, you can always lie about their feeding style for the well being of an RP, am I 'rite?