Yay, my first post in an episode discussion on Canterlot.com!

LOVED the episode! I loved everything about it, from beginning to end!

The term Alicorn is now canon

I think the opening scene was the Stephen King reference, not sure, although it did remind me of the opening scene in Gremlin.

Is it me or was the corruption of Trixie really subtle? She just acted like her old egomaniac self.

Loved both magic duel, but I gotta agree that R63 is not canon, simply because that's Big Mac, not a true R63 AJ.

I gotta agree with some of the others, for a kids show, this was dark. However, still not as dark as Party of One or Lesson Zero.

Zecora can do hoof magic? I can see soooooo many fanfic of Earth ponies doing this kind of magic now.

Jedi training sequence FTW!

All in all a great episode and my favorite one of this season!

• Like 2

Wow was that a good one. :D

I loved that there was a form of irony here, being that Twilight used deception to win and way back when Trixie used similar methods to get attention, loved it. <3

Also, Trixie's faceplant made me laugh more like a giddy hyena for several minutes :lol::twisted:

Is it me or was the corruption of Trixie really subtle? She just acted like her old egomaniac self.

Not every egomaniac is going to rule over a hick town as a petty dictator by isolating themselves from the rest of the world. :shifty:

I liked this episode so much more than the first 4. It was really great and at least Trixie changed at the end. It might have been a short apology but nevertheless it sounded honest - the next time we see her she might be different - at least I hope so. In other words, there goes an enemy, maybe a new friend soon.

Looks like the amulet was slowly turning her proper-evil. She went from cute tickle spells to trying a spell that would cause Rainbow Dash to 'writhe in agony'. Oh so dark. Awesome episode. And yeah, the ending was a bit abrupt. It could have been an hour. :-|

Yeah. I think Trixie was getting pretty evil there. I think that's part of why she was so quick to help out and apologize in the end. She became aware of how bad she was getting because of the amulet and felt some guilt over it all.

I dunno, there's enough there to read into that that end scene worked for me at least. I also think it's important for Trixie's character, and it actually made me curious about what might happen should she come back a third time.

Yeah. I think Trixie was getting pretty evil there. I think that's part of why she was so quick to help out and apologize in the end. She became aware of how bad she was getting because of the amulet and felt some guilt over it all.

I dunno, there's enough there to read into that that end scene worked for me at least. I also think it's important for Trixie's character, and it actually made me curious about what might happen should she come back a third time.

She's thoroughly set up to come back as a redemptive heroine to aid Twilicorn in Equestria's darkest hour later this season! /headcanon

About Zecora's "magic," I think it was more slight of hoof and understanding that "magic" can take different forms, not just the full-blooded unicorn kind. Twilight was putting too much reliance on becoming more powerful when she should have taken a step back to look at the situation -- that was my take away. Power can take different forms, and it's how you choose to use it that counts. In this case it was friendship and teamwork that ultimately defeated Trixie.

• Like 1

About Zecora's "magic," I think it was more slight of hoof and understanding that "magic" can take different forms, not just the full-blooded unicorn kind.

Yeah, I didn't think Zecora was doing any unicorn-style magic spell either. Anyway, I was really glad to see the zebra fulfilling the alternate mentor role that she was always meant to fill. ;)

Definitely enjoyed the episode, though like some I watched it while exhausted so it'll be a few viewings before I catch a lot of things (didn't even realize there was a Stephen King reference, for example). I wasn't a big Trixie fan to begin with, so wasn't sure what to think of this episode but I was pleasantly surprised. And I won't try to hide my amusement at Trixie biffing her exit there at the end. Or Twilight breaking the 4th wall, technically, just to fix Pinkie's curse. :D

someone please tell me why this episode was so frigging amazing, my head exploded !!!!

The way I figure it, it has to be all the awesome that they managed to stuff into the episode. :) Now to watch it a few more times and see what all I missed on the first pass.

• Like 1

Why did you think we were nearing an end?

The episode was great. The ending was a bit rushed, but that seemed more of a side effect of them stuffing this episode full of so much. There was some solid humor, but the plot and adventuring stakes were high. Awesome.

Well I finally watched it and even if I excuse my Trixie bias I still think it is the best episode thus far in Season 3. I did enjoy the Crystal Empire two-parter but this one was certainly the most fun. I am glad to discover the amulet was making Trixie grow increasingly cruel and power-hungry, it may have what drove her to revenge originally instead of simply wanting to be a more powerful magic user and/or performer playing on the humiliation she endured after her defeat.

Makes you wonder where the amulet came from and who created it; (also where did Trixie get all those bits!).

The fanservice was fine with me, it wasn't over the top; annoyed at the whole "rule 63 is now canon" huzzah (and/or derision); given that Applejack was never gender actually swapped in the episode. For me though the first clue something was truly up with Twilight's spells was that filly Applejack was missing her additional face freckles. :) Of course I supposed then we all knew they were using some form of trickery (given how strong Zecora's hint of "use your friends" was).

Overall great! For me personally it just adds more background and story to Trixie RPs. :)

• Like 1

hi hi

I think I'm just going to have to get used to the fast pace that the episodes in season 3 have been run at. Although I prefer the slower, more down to earth feel from the earlier episodes, I don't think I can say that its anything but personal opinion on my part. It kind of felt like the episode started, and then suddenly it was over, but that is far preferable to having it drag on and on like one episode I know. (which will not be named) I also have to admit that callbacks and shout outs don't really do anything for me, but as long as an episode can stand on its own, it doesn't feel weird.

Does that mean I dislike the episode? Nope. At this point, comparing the new episodes to ones in the past seems like comparing apples to oranges.

There was a lot of good stuff in this episode, like Fluttershy and her woodland creatures being awesome, Twilight's friends having to solve problems without Twilight as a leader, tons of cool new magic spells...

Oh, and also, the message that power isn't everything. Seriously, I've been waiting for this episode ever since people started making a big fuss about Twilight's ability to pick a whole bunch of apples at once in Applebuck Season. I say, let big burly guys grunt at each other and banter endlessly about power levels in Dragon Ball Z, I'll take a show that demonstrates creativity and teamwork over brute strength any day. (also, coincidence that Spike got turned into a dragon ball? You be the judge.)

Other stuff I liked:

• The pen is mightier than the amulet. Sharing knowledge between each other was vital to winning.

• Trixie was delightfully absurd, which I think helped the writers get away with what might have otherwise been some pretty dark stuff.

• Twilight Sparkle refusing Trixie's taunts at first. Everything that people didn't like about the challenge in Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 wasn't a problem here.

• Zecora. Everything about Zecora. Its nice that they give other kinds of magic besides unicorn magic a chance to shine.

• Good characterizations, especially Twilight who I think is at her best when she is forced to really work to overcome her problems, rather than just zapping them away with a convenient spell. (even though spells were involved in the solution.)

Also, new head canon on Princess Luna and Celestia: Their immortality is the product of age magic, which they are skilled enough to cast.

Edit: Stuff I don't like - Aaaalicorns!

• Like 1

also, coincidence that Spike got turned into a dragon ball? You be the judge.

Hahaha! Great catch, Ginger! :D

Anyway, it also occurred to me that the sleight-of-hand tricks Twilight pulled off at the end are essentially the bread-and-butter of real-life magicians. You know, the sort of stage-performing folks that Trixie is supposed to be based off of? XD

I enjoyed this episode for the simple fact that Zecora is still awesome lawl.

I'll be your friend Trixie \o/

Loved how the Mane 6, Apple family and CMC helped trick the amulet off of Trixie. I had actually thought they turned AJ into a stallion. That freaked my mind out!

Those pony? at the end of the episode seemed quite interesting as well.

If I had a rating to give, it would be a 4/5

Trixie not trusting wheels. Made the episode.

It reminded me of that one section of Twilight Zone the movie where the kid has superpowers and uses them to do mundane, selfish things. Including removing Nancy Cartwright's mouth.

• Like 1

Trixie not trusting wheels. Made the episode.

It reminded me of that one section of Twilight Zone the movie where the kid has superpowers and uses them to do mundane, selfish things. Including removing Nancy Cartwright's mouth.

A9CtH_PCcAA726o.jpg

• Like 2

I know everypony here must've realized Zecora Yoda in this episode. :P

It was so cool to see Trixie back, too.

Although, I found it kinda weird seeing her apologize. It did make the episode finish off on a good note, but it felt out of place considering she had so much anger built up, then she went all nuts with her evil regime (yes, letting two ponies suffering to drag you about is evil in my book).

Could it have been because of the amulets removal she suddenly felt a little bit different and noticed how she exaggerated a little bit in her power?

I know everypony here must've realized Zecora Yoda in this episode. :razz:

It was so cool to see Trixie back, too.

Although, I found it kinda weird seeing her apologize. It did make the episode finish off on a good note, but it felt out of place considering she had so much anger built up, then she went all nuts with her evil regime (yes, letting two ponies suffering to drag you about is evil in my book).

Could it have been because of the amulets removal she suddenly felt a little bit different and noticed how she exaggerated a little bit in her power?

Those are pretty much my thoughts. Trixie is pompous, arrogant and not above deception, but I don't think this manner of cruelty is in her normally. The amulet pushed her past where she would normally go. Once she was back to normal, she realized it all and saw the need to apologize for taking things too far.