perhaps trixie would be MLP's Sideshow Bob, coming periodically on each season with a hare brained idea to defeat Twilight, failing miserably and running on darkness every time...

Methinks that Discord would be a more likely candidate for a unrepentant reoccurring Sideshow Bob-type villain, being voiced by a special guest actor and all. :P

Methinks that Discord would be a more likely candidate for a unrepentant reoccurring Sideshow Bob-type villain, being voiced by a special guest actor and all. :P

When I first saw the episode with Discord I thought it was Kelsey Grammar, who voices Side Show Bob.

'That's only for the highest level unicorns' & 'Trixie is the highest level unicorn'. Note they don't say highest level of unicorn... Well, that just screams RPG (and specifically D&D) to me, it also reinforces my first thought when I saw the intro. Pony thief! (Or rogue if you prefer).

Trixie took a level in thief! :razz: (Which would also explain the sack o' money she used)

EDIT: Also absolutely loved the episode, yaaaaaay Trixie!

Also also, it re-visits the unicorn magic colour and whether it is visible. Nopony seemed to notice or comment that Trixies magic had changed from light purple to red

Speaking of colour... was Flutterdash wearing contact lenses or was there a little illusory magic at play? (My first thought was illusions rather than the reveal of disguises.)

..........Am I the only one to mind bliwn about those last few "magic" tricks Twi did at the end to say anything? I mean, yea, the fake amulet was fake and we all knew that, but I'm just mind blown at their cunningness.......Also, if this episode wasn't rushed, I would probaly like it better...

Also, it seems that Hasbro and Ms. Faust are just feeding the bronies now...

The magic duals seemed to feed as well as the general return of Trixie, but the rest seemed to actually go with the universe that is MLP.....

Also, when Pinkie did here "one-mare band" thing, was anyone else just like: "That's Pinkie Pie, no magic there....."

And as a last remark, Twilight broke the fourth wall with Pinkie.....Soon, we will find a way to make contact with them.......Soon.....

hi hi

Well, the mane RP can do whatever it wants, no argument here. I'm just using what I see to infer things about the magical land of Equestria. There's lots of different types of magic besides just unicorn magic, like Hearts Desire, which not only was a crucial ingredient in giving Applebloom lots of special talents, but it also bolstered a rooster's heart. (magically I might add)

Someone's emotional state has a clear effect on their magic, and Discord showed us how magic can effect someone's emotional state. So its really just a matter of putting two and two together. Seems to me like the cruelty involved with the alicorn amulet might have been an integral part of the desire for power, and the ability to reach that power.

OH... well in that case... Yeah, I totally agree with you :) . The world is large, we, theoretically, have only seen a small part of it.

I loved this one too. If I understand it there are two Stephen King references with the shop full of needful things and the moutgh removal.

One thing I havn't seen any-pony comment on yet is about the beavers.

Am I the only one who expected Trixie to turn them into gold as a punishment?

Trixie: "Do you want to see something strange and mystical?"

Fluttershy (in Trixies face) "NO! Get out of here with that amulet, lay off the poor beavers, will ya?! SHEEZE! You're a creep! Go away, we were having a good time until you showed up, Jeepers! ARGH! Go have some coffee with cream, or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!"

... I'm sorry.

Another thing I just remembered:

When Fluttershy was nervously biting her hooves... she bit off hoof-chippings.

Considering how hard pony hooves are... I do not EVER want Fluttershy to bite me. She'd probably kill me.

Rewatched it like 10 mins ago and I just noticed that Trixie used a computer cursor and recycling bin to delete Pinkie's mouth.

Makes me wonder if they have PCs or if they are aware of their status as flash animated characters.

Rewatched it like 10 mins ago and I just noticed that Trixie used a computer cursor and recycling bin to delete Pinkie's mouth.

Any superficial resemblance between computer cursors and Trixie's spell is entirely coincidental. I'm sure PCs still don't exist in Equestria. :P

Any superficial resemblance between computer cursors and Trixie's spell is entirely coincidental. I'm sure PCs still don't exist in Equestria. :razz:

Hmmm...

hm.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I don't know B, sometimes enough is too much. LOL! Would've written it off if Vinyl's turntable set up didn't exist. And Pinkie's mouth getting dumped into an obviously digital trash bin was definitely a WTF.

Makes you wander exactly how schizo their tech really is.

hi hi

I'm pretty sure their technology isn't emotionally impaired. Seriously though, its magic. Our own classic iconography was created as is for a reason, in that the symbols are easy for anyone to understand. And speaking of icons, what about cutie marks? We've seen ponies with arrows on their flanks, and Trixie has a magic wand on her rump, even though we've never seen a magic wand in the show yet.

Perhaps somewhere in the musty old tunnels beneath Canterlot sits the ancient Luminiferous Engine, which can be powered by unicorns to tabulate polynomial functions, and the arrow and trash imagery is the old interface for removing unwanted answers. :P

The visuals made it pretty apparent what they were getting at.

I just willingly bit the bait, because biting bait makes the show more fun.

Also I never said it wasn't magic, any tech that doesn't fit with their current level of advancement can get handwaved by saying It's magic. The scene actually makes me think that there maybe guards in canterlot that sit around staring at magically conjured screens and In my mind they sit around dunking donuts in coffee cups and deleting bad PMV's from their videos folder by using drag and drop like trixie did.

They may have video games, as we saw at the start of Hearts and Hooves day.

A magical computer with a projected holographic screen would be very cool, and well within their capabilities as they've shown multiple times they can cast full colour projected illusions.

You'd probably have a printer daemon, a literal imp that drags a quill across a page of parchment.

Maybe she worked on the rock farm to earn enough bits to bribe the shopkeeper.

I know that's the official explanation but it was more a comment (and a bit of silliness) on Unicorn/character levelling.

As 'The highest level unicorn' she had levels to burn so dropped a couple in rogue for the skills and Evasion. Apparently she put her points into Spot, search and gather information rather than any of the stealth skills though!

(Also picked up sneak attack. :shifty: Be careful Twilight!)

EDIT: Complete aside from the above but when Snips and Snails got 'horn-locked' there were two similarly coloured blue BG ponies, a mare earthpony with a lantern (?) cutie mark and a unicorn stallion with a lightbulb! Utilities pony or inventor? Strangers that were having a discussion about lighting? (Or 'shipping goggles on'? :kissy:) Brother and sister that took different paths into providing light sources? (Simply because of similar colours...)

EDIT II: Ignore the bit about the 'lantern pony' It was (changeling) Colgate, minus horn. (Curse my shoddy resolution). Still, LIGHTBULB UNCORN!

For all the people that thought the fan service was a bit much in this episode, look at this:

1.JPG

Thats right, this episode was planned in January of 2011, almost two years ago! I mean, come on. I wasn't even a brony then, I bet a lot of us weren't. The fact that they had planned on Trixie returning all this time is an interesting counter argument for this episode being full of fan service. As McCarthy has said before, sometimes the writers and storyboard artists do things intentional that never get noticed, and sometimes they do things unintentionally and get credit for doing fanservice. Sometimes the writers and artists just line up with fandom (i know it sound impossible to me too).

For all the people that thought the fan service was a bit much in this episode, look at this:

1.JPG

Thats right, this episode was planned in January of 2011, almost two years ago! I mean, come on. I wasn't even a brony then, I bet a lot of us weren't. The fact that they had planned on Trixie returning all this time is an interesting counter argument for this episode being full of fan service. As McCarthy has said before, sometimes the writers and storyboard artists do things intentional that never get noticed, and sometimes they do things unintentionally and get credit for doing fanservice. Sometimes the writers and artists just line up with fandom (i know it sound impossible to me too).

Two whole years? They're not feeding the bronies yet? But, that's impossible!! That's super convenient!! I just don't understand...

Mind = Blown rainbowsmash_display.gif

hi hi

I thought that most of the fan service was in the extraneous stuff, a lot of which is put in during the animation phase. Episodes do take a long time to make, so right up until the end, they're still working on making them. And as we know from season two, its never too late to make changes, even after an episode has already aired.

I'd be curious to know what the full life cycle of an episode is, but I know that animation didn't start until this year.

Well like rule 63 AJ is an example of misnomer. I can remember lots of times in past cartoons where they did a gender swap, and it never had to do with internet fandom circles.