S03 E06 - "Sleepless In Ponyville"

• Luna: I have a funny feeling that being the Princess of the Night she was associated with dreams, but this episode confirms it. Maybe this is the "nerd moment."

I think the very fact that Luna had an important role at all was the "nerd moment". :P

I do not actually see where in the series it is said Scootaloo does not have any parents. Sure she got no sister and properly no brother. In the MLP verse a sister is very very special. I belive that Scootaloo orgin and family is keept silent as one of those story tricks to let peopl make their own assumptions making it easier to identify oneself with the characters. Yes, I know Scootaloo could use some more personality to make it easier to identify oneself with them.

And ohh please give us more Luna :) although her voice was weird did her lessons with Fluttershy finaly pay off or they put another voice on her ?

I don't know why Scootaloo thought she had to hide her fears, its well known she is a chicken afterall

Well uhm I remember once as a child we where playing in the cellar of my friends house and my friend repetely told me not to knose the door because ther was no handle and we get stuck in there. So for some reason I do not know I closed the door (not to make her frigthen or tease her, I was just a little kid OK!) and she jsut stood there and cried. I thought it was rather silly because I trusted her dad would come and get us out, which he did. I was tactfull enough not to laugh at my friend for being a scaredy-pony but I realy thought she was over reacting.

It is all about keeping your face.

Hello. These are my thoughts on the epsiode.

First of all, YYYEEESSS!!! Princess Luna gets an active role! And it totally makes sense with her being the Princess of the Night! It does in fact sounds like she's getting more back into swing with her duties after so long gone, watching over people's dreams... Really awesome.

As for Sweetie and Rarity... Heheheheh... Sweetie played Rarity into going camping with a sister guilt card, and then wound up carrying all the stuff... Seems like a fair exchange to me. However I noticed that she was smiling the whole time, didn't complain, and even pushed her sister's lounge couch as they went along... It looked to me like she was just happy to spend time with her sister. I think Sweetie might worship the ground her sister walks on with actions like that.

And I liked how observant Applejack was, however Applejack and Applebloom really took a back seat in this episode. Not bad, however their role was fairly minor.

Now as for Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash... I loved it. Scootaloo's fandom really played out, with her trying to impress Rainbow Dash the whole trip, and Rainbow being her usual self-confident, kinda... ... very arrogant self, and yet still good and awesome. She also showed a lot of compassion to little Scootaloo, and opened up with the revelation that she'd been scared, and the under the wing moment was awesome... made me smile.

The very end actually felt a little... overdrawn. The climax of the action had already been filled and dealt with. That end could have been replaced with a letter to Princess Celestia and had a better impact in my opinion.

Speaking of which I'm missing the letters to Princess Celestia... have they decided to write those out?

Overall I thought the episode was well-done, funny, and "Awwwwww" inspiring. I liked it very much, and it's honestly probably going to be one of my favorites of Season 3.

Speaking of which I'm missing the letters to Princess Celestia... have they decided to write those out?

I guess that now that the writers know they don't have to bother worrying about the E/I rating, they stopped worrying about the letters. Kind of a shame though, since they play such an important role in the big overarching storyline of FiM (ie. the studies on friendship).

[colour=#444444]Initial thoughts: Great episode, with a decent moral and great shout outs like Scootaloos nightmares looking like the otherworld from Silent Hill.[/colour]

[colour=#444444]I got a few good laughs and overall enjoyed it.[/colour]

[colour=#444444]Though the title of this episode is a total lie.[/colour]

[colour=#444444]Also:[/colour]

[colour=#444444]PRINCESS LUNA![/colour]

Loved this episode, perhaps one of my favorites of the season, really. Course, that may be the whole just-watched-it-two-minutes-ago thing, so I wonder if my opinion will change as I look back on it.

But anyways, things I liked

-Luna. Luna Luna Luna. A thousand times Luna! :Luna:

-Rainbow Dash's snoring cracked me up.

-Return of the demon face trees. Shame Scootaloo wasn't around for giggle at the ghosties.

-Sweetie Bell's campfire song, and the immediate passing out following it. I'm suprised she managed to get through it all.

-I did d'aawww with Scoot and Rainbow towards the end. it was hard not too

A solid episode, really. They are doing lots of throwbacks to privious episodes, what with the stories of Rarity's encounter with the dreaded gravity.

I guess that now that the writers know they don't have to bother worrying about the E/I rating, they stopped worrying about the letters. Kind of a shame though, since they play such an important role in the big overarching storyline of FiM (ie. the studies on friendship).

Indeed, it is a big shame... if anything I would have liked them to expand the letters to the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They've set up a steady pattern with the first several of not doing the letters though, so it's a pattern that's probably going to go throughout the season. Hopefully they'll hear the longing for the letters and respond by starting to worry about them again.

Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash are quite cute together.

Also Luna in that episode. Inception style.

Best characters in one episode - I found it totally awesome. Only one I missed was Chrysalis but well =P if she ever returns at all? And aside from that seeing Luna actually playing quite a major role in an episode is awesome.

You could get a bit jealous at scootaloo. I mean Rainbow Dash "adopted" her, Luna comes into her dreams and her friends respect her despite her flaws. Perfect life much?

Had so much fun watching this episode, with so many funny scenes. ^^

I thought we'd never get a Scootaloo episode...and when we did, it turned out to be something we all wanted. A better relationship with Rainbow Dash, Luna proving why she's the protector of the night, Sweetie Belle being Rarity's doormat, and Apple Jack ever being the reasonable pony trolling RD's stories ("If it doesn't have a head, then how in tarnation does this pony know where it's going?").

I'm officially wanting more CMC stories! Plus, the soundtrack was particularly good. Is it me, or did it sound like Toy Story music every now and then?

This was a great episode, and quite a debut for the new writer ^_^ Scootaloo is my favorite of the CMCs and I'm happy that she finally has an episode of her own. Very cool to see Luna taking on an active role here; I never expected her to be able to dream dive but it fits her so well, and she even had a chance to be a mentor just like her big sister. And the end was really sweet. I liked how Rainbow accepted the opportunity to take Scoots under her wing and even had no problem with her inability to fly (even gave her a chance to feel like she was).

Heh, and I get the feeling that SweetieBell sad face is going to end up as sooooo many user icons...

I wonder what Celestia is doing.....

Season Three: Episode Six; still no friendship letters

Anyway, this is probaly my favorite episode yet. For these reasons and more:

-Scootaloo's "scary" story

-Rarity's home away from home and reaction to Sweetie asking to go camping

-Apple Jack trolling RD

-Luna!!! (though her voice.....)

-Scootaloo beckoning the the twigs to her

But what in Equestria happened to Sweetie's singing voice?

so, filly Sweetie Belle can pull Rarity's wagon, but the athletic Scootaloo can't?

G3.5 feeling, Scootaloo, Y U no stand on your fours?

Luna dream guardian, just did read a reference on a fanfic yesterday, today is canon...

Luna cannot help being creepy, but again redeemed at the end.

First Pipsqueak, now Scootaloo, Luna the friend of foals?

Luna, even today has RCV problems/ EverReady eyes, but no royal we, AFICT. (as far I can tell)

Old people/ponies are creepy

Every fanfic I know, depicts Luna making the same work of Celestia of paperwork/gestion, but at night, on the show she apparently enjoys becoming lost in forests, using her EverReady eyes as headlights (LOL) So, is now canon that she basically slacks at her kingdom chores.

So, is now canon that she basically slacks at her kingdom chores.

OR. Maybe Luna just doesn't have as much work as Celestia. Did you really expect her to resume her normal duties after being gone for a thousand years? I bet a lot has changed within their castle as well as the rest of Equestria.

(but this is just my head-canon)

I think not having friendship letters isn't really hurting anything. All they did was serve to explain the moral. The ending of this episode works way better showing how Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo are beginning a sisterly relationship rather then talking about it

Wow. I'm having trouble keeping up with which episode is my personal favourite for this season, but this one sure takes the cake! Despite having to wake up at 2:00 in the morning here in Australia to watch the episode live, in summary, Scootaloo. Enough said. This episode had me watching from start to finish.

Some parts of this episode however got me a little creeped out, most notably the nightmare sequences and seeing Scoots scared beyond belief. Although there was a few light hearted moments as well, especially with Sweetie Belle putting on her adorable face and singing!

It was also nice to see the softer side of Scoots towards the end of the episode, especially when she was crying, which got me a bit misty eyed as well.

Overall, this episode ranks pretty high in my favourites.

I think not having friendship letters isn't really hurting anything. All they did was serve to explain the moral. The ending of this episode works way better showing how Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo are beginning a sisterly relationship rather then talking about it

Well I understand that viewpoint. However to clarify I think the dream-sequence following the race with Rainbow Dash lifting up Scootaloo could have been replaced with a letter and felt awkward to me.

And for me the letters aren't just about telling the moral. For one they tie into the very reason Twilight Sparkle went to Ponyville in the first place, and I like the... tradition of sending letters as it helps tie back to the very beginning of the series. However as a second point, the letters also establish a personal connection with Princess Celestia, showing that the letter writers are not only thinking and learning their lessons, putting them into words, but also communicating them to the highest authority in the land that I have seen. It keeps them and her connected, I feel... So I miss them for multiple reasons really. However that's what they mean to me. I acknowledge that if you don't have the same feelings on the letters then they'll probably not do much for you.

• Like 1