S03 E06 - "Sleepless In Ponyville"

I see no indication they've stopped doing letters to Celestia on the show. Too Many Pinkie Pies did have Pinkie write one if you remember. The opener didn't because it would be redundant since Celestia was right there. Last Week's episode had Trixie learning the lesson more than anything, and she's not gonna write a letter. Other two have been eps where one or all of the CMC learned it, and CMC episodes rarely seem to have letters at the end.

We really just haven't had a lot of simple "Mane six pony learns a lesson" episodes yet this season. I'm assuming that if we do, the letters will continue like normal. :)

I see no indication they've stopped doing letters to Celestia on the show. Too Many Pinkie Pies did have Pinkie write one if you remember. The opener didn't because it would be redundant since Celestia was right there. Last Week's episode had Trixie learning the lesson more than anything, and she's not gonna write a letter. Other two have been eps where one or all of the CMC learned it, and CMC episodes rarely seem to have letters at the end.

We really just haven't had a lot of simple "Mane six pony learns a lesson" episodes yet this season. I'm assuming that if we do, the letters will continue like normal. :)

Ah, thank you, I had forgotten about Too Many Pinkie Pies having a letter at it's end... Hmmm... Well this does good to relieve my worry that the letters have been forgotten, now I am simply worried about frequency, or phasing out... Now, actually, if anything, I would like to see the letter writers expand to include the CMC... and maybe Trixie... ... though come to think of it, Twilight could have written a letter about her experiences in that epsiode to, so... So I am partially relieved, however not fully. Thank you for the reminder. I just hope that they increase the letter frequency instead of decrease, though that is my personal wish.

I think this season is moving away from friendship lessons, which makes it hard to come up with reasons for the letters. Considering the crusaders seem to be the ones getting more the learn a moral type episodes maybe it would make sense for Twilight to have then take over or at least send their own

I don't think I can express how thrilled I am about this episode! My girlfriend is still vibrating across the floor with the need to gush to her friends who haven't seen it yet.

I really have a lot of respect for Madeleine Peters after this episode (not that I disliked her work before or anything). I think it's awesome that the show uses such young actors to play three very important child roles, and they're doing an excellent job.

The interaction between Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo was adorable, of course. The only thing that lessened it for me is that I've seen so much Scootalove in fanfics and webcomics that it almost felt repetitive to see it on the actual show, but that's my own fault for participating in the fandom. It was really lovely to see it actually happening. It was true to Rainbow's character, too - not particularly sappy, and based on Rainbow's genuine respect for Scootaloo and her skills.

Luna. Oh my gosh, Luna. I did not see that coming at all. When she appeared in the background of Scootaloo's first nightmare, I immediately hypothesized that she was lurking in dreams to guard ponies from nightmares, because I've seen it in a few fanfics, but having it confirmed was just... amazing. I cried, it was just so sweet. Knowing that not only does Luna have this power, but she cares so much about her little ponies that she spends what must be a fair amount of time in guarding their dreams, just raised my estimation of Luna's compassion and empathy through the roof.

I did find Luna's voice a bit unusual when she first started talking, but it seems that the way she speaks in dreams is quite different from HOW SHE TALKS IN REAL LIFE. It's showing a softer side of her personality.

Equestria today really is better than how it was a few years ago, before Twilight Sparkle started fixing things. Not only is there now a visible beacon of hope and love shining across the land for the first time in a thousand years (the Crystal Heart's "aurora borealis" effect), but there's now an immortal princess guarding her little ponies' dreams, again for the first time in a thousand years. Sombra's rise to power and Luna's corruption into Nightmare Moon really put a downer on the kingdom, didn't it?

On another note, ponies seem to have much more lucid dreams than humans do. The fact that Luna and Scootaloo can have a coherent conversation in Scootaloo's dreams, which Scootaloo presumably remembered afterwards, is interesting. And despite Luna doing this, and presumably having done it before she became Nightmare Moon, they still didn't pay attention to her. Bad ponies!

Getting back to the main thrust of the episode, Scootaloo admitting her fears was a pretty big deal, especially to Rainbow Dash. And their bonding... yeah, just amazing. The bit where Rainbow took her flying with her was adorable.

Oh, and the interplay between Rarity and Sweetie Belle was interesting. I actually think it was Sweetie Belle's idea to pull the wagon, because she didn't seem to complain, object or even resent the task - she looked exhausted, but not upset. Rarity does have a legitimate problem with dirt and sweat, after all, so maybe that was Sweetie Belle's way of repaying Rarity for guilting her into the trip in the first place. Sweetie Belle also needs to take singing lessons. She has an amazing voice, and can perform some wonderful songs, but sometimes "99 Buckets of Oats" will happen, when her enthusiam outstrips her control.

I found Scootaloo's face after stayin up all night priceless and hilarious XD and I think she might be an only child*I'm going with the idea that she has parents cause any other will make me sad* so that is why she wants Rainbow Dash to be her sister, cause she wants one so bad.

Luna dreamwalker is canon!!! WHOOOOOO!

It is established that Sweetie Belle knows how to manipulate her sister to spend time with her :)

And I feel the best thing of all was the super tent Rarity had. Wish I had one, just..not the same colour.

Can anyone find any objections to the episode? I haven't heard anything bad yet.

I loved it! But in my struggling to find something bad, I recall a moment or two when some ponies' limbs bent awkwardly.

...ant that's all I got.

There's a few scenes where either Rainbow or Scoots are missing their wings.

Nothing a little custom editing can't fix, though.

Actually, although this isn't a mistake, I feel the episode would have ended on a higher note if it was with the scene where Dash is carrying Scoots through the air.

The last dream wasn't a pointless addition, but it wasn't as strong and uplifting an ending as the previous scene could have been.

• Like 1

hi hi

This is now officially my favorite episode of Season 3. I was smiling like a big goof the entire way through it, even though I got a bit teary eyed in a few places. I might be a little bit biased because I was absolutely terrified of the dark as a kid, like seriously beyond words. (also, Luna's dreamwalking was a personal hypothesis of mine ever since Friendship is Magic part 2, but I'm not counting that for points.)

An excellent episode where we got to see some real interaction between ponies, and they really took some time setting things up, which made the payoff at the end so much better. Sweetie Belle and Rarity were great comedy relief considering how intense some of those scenes got. (I think Sweetie Belle knew what she was getting herself into when she pressured her sister into going.)

Also, they had my all time favorite background pony in there too! I was so thrilled when Applejack got a few lines. ;)

I'm sure something controversial will crop up though and I'll have to explain in depth why I think this episode is excellent, but for now, there are no more words. :)

I think it's nice to finally see a non-polarizing episode. I can't really figure out what the debate of the week should be about, really. What balanced this episode more than the others we've seen?

This season has been pretty dark so far, and I'm not complaining.

hi hi

I can only really speak for myself, but I think part of it was that they didn't try to do as much with the episode. They picked something and stuck with it, and focused on it. Most of the scenes related to that theme in some way (or were played as a counterpoint), and because of that focus, they didn't leave as many gaps in the narrative. And it had a happy, positive ending, rather than a "well it could have been worse," ending.

But what in Equestria happened to Sweetie's singing voice?

"99 Barrels Of Beer/Oats On The Wall" is one of those types of songs you just gotta YELL to do right. :evil: TAKE ONE DOWN PASS IT A-ROUNDDDDD!

I want to say something controversial and negative... but... I can't! I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

Um... *tries to think* They didn't... no wait... they showed it in Scoot's dreams... that was far better...

Darn it all! Oh well... not having anything bad to say is good...right? RIGHT?! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MYSELF

*cries in corner*

And to answer Rosie, I think it did what it set out to do with something everyone, regardless of who they are, had to deal with multiple times in their life. And they ended it in such a satisfying way it was hard to dislike. Everyone has fears, and learning to face those fears is important. And learning that even your idol has or had the same fears as you before learning to face them was important too. "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear" -Mark Twain.

Honestly, I think this was a great lesson on many levels. Everyone has fears, and everyone has nightmares. Including adults. The only thing that could have made it better for me is if RD told Scoots something that she is currently afraid of, and not just that she got frightened by those campfire stories when she was a filly just like Scoots and co did. Say.... failure? Seems like something RD would be worried about.

But yeah, overall smashing episode on all levels. It did what it wanted, had great comedy, great "D'awww" moments, and it ended on a nice positive note without being preachy.

A really sweet episode with a nice lesson :)

What is that checker doing on a white square Sweetie Belle?

With those views so close, I want to live in Ponyville more!

'Just play it cool' Yup, been there!

Really liking the designs on the tents and RD's sleeping bag.

DAT LYRA SIT!

Luuuuuuuna! Art of dreaming is canon? :razz: Don't lose yourself Luna! Perhaps her dream self is easier for her to control so she is quieter and finds interaction more pleasant?

Ooh, extra fear for Scootaloo? The 'olden pony' and 'headless horse' in her dreams looked like earth ponies. 'If only I could fly I would be safe...'

Bioluminescent flowers!

'It's all we need. Why don't you go sit with Rainbow Dash for a while?' Oh AJ, you so understanding... :smug:

:lol:'MUAHAHAHAHAHA!'

Some really nice family/sisterly moments/touches from Rarity and AJ.

'Wiicked whinny of the headless horse' :D

RD carrying Scootaloo! Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

The Rusty Horseshoe Mare kept reminding me of The Truckdriver from Peewees big adventure. Potential nerdy moment?

Also, Brace yourself: much explicit fiction from the close relationship between scoots and rd.

over all, i liked it. Scootalo was perfectly done for this episode, peeling away the layers of false bravo effectively. 4/5

Well finally watched the episode, and glad that we got a second excellent episode in a row for the third season. Not too much to say other than I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just a few extra thoughts:

• This is the first episode Luna had a role that was important to the plot since her return in Luna Eclipsed. Always felt Luna is one of the most under unitized characters in the show. It was also nice to see she is adapting to the modern world.
  • Finally Scootaloo episode. Of course all the fannon around her stays pretty much intact as no relatives were shown for the filly. Personally I don't see her orphaned as much as just living with an aunt or something and thus not having close family ties and prefers to spend all her time with her friends.
  • You get the feeling rarity and Sweetie belle are always manipulating each other into doing stuff together the other doesn't really want to do. Also loved rarity's outfit.
  • This story didn't feel really fast paced like the others of season three and felt like much more of a character development and interrelation story, which we need more of.

People were talking about a nerd moment for this episode, my guess is Luna. Perhaps it was the canon confirmation of Scootaloo and Dash now being like sisters (or course I also expect a lot of ScootaDash ship, bleh... :shock: )

Well, a couple days ago my internet got fried by a freak lightning storm, so I wasn't able to post an opinion on this episode until now.

Here it goes. My well-thought out, in-depth critique of this episode:

Scootawoo wa kawaii desu yo!!!

I love Scootaloo. I love her so so much.

... Incidentally, later that day I also finally saw Inception, and I couldn't help thinking the movie would be better if Luna was in it (good movie all the same).

Also, kinda gives a new dimension to Nightmare Moon, doncha think? Might even be how she got her name. I wonder: can Luna only be in one dream at a time, or can she be in multiple dreams at once? (I personally suspect the latter and that she told Rainbow Dash about Scootaloo, thus why Dash was there to rescue Scoots at the end).

hi hi

After thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that final dream sequence at the end -the one feels kind of extraneous- is there to disarm little kid's fright about the scary old mare with the rusty horseshoes. They don't want little kids to actually have nightmares about this character, so they probably felt they had to reveal her as being harmless before the end.

Also, now that Luna has had a couple of episodes involving her playing a significant role, I suspect that we may be seeing an episode where Celestia gets to take center stage for a bit, rather than just saying a few lines and then having to go off and do princessy stuff.

Honestly, I think this was a great lesson on many levels. Everyone has fears, and everyone has nightmares. Including adults. The only thing that could have made it better for me is if RD told Scoots something that she is currently afraid of, and not just that she got frightened by those campfire stories when she was a filly just like Scoots and co did. Say.... failure? Seems like something RD would be worried about.

Theories:

1) RD wanted to use something that would be easy to get across. "I'm afraid of failure" is kinda abstract for a kid Scoots' age (however old she is). "I used to be scared of those stories too" is something she'd understand.

2) RD might find it easier to admit to something she used to be scared of rather than something she currently is afraid of.

Theories:

1) RD wanted to use something that would be easy to get across. "I'm afraid of failure" is kinda abstract for a kid Scoots' age (however old she is). "I used to be scared of those stories too" is something she'd understand.

2) RD might find it easier to admit to something she used to be scared of rather than something she currently is afraid of.

1) there are ways to phrase it so children understand. And it could have been something else, like getting injured again practicing tricks.

2) that is exactly my point. It would have Strengthened the message and the bond between her and Scoots. It is just something that I think would have made an already awesome episode better.

hi hi

Rainbow Dash being good with kids? Yeah right. Rainbow Dash is not a lean, mean, moral explaining machine.

Did no one else think that Rainbow Dash was really stretching for something, anything, to tell Scootaloo? I think it fit with Rainbow Dash's character excellently, since she's not the kind of pony who dwells on fears like that and is kind of oblivious to things that aren't right in front of her, she would have to reach for the thing that was most salient at the time. (Headstrong mare who charges in without a second thought.) She knows she's gotta say something, but its like those times when someone asks you what your favorite movies are, and suddenly you can't think of anything but maybe one or two that you saw recently. (I know I'm not the only one that happens to.)

This is mirrored somewhat in the relationship between Sweetie Belle and Rarity, that they both do things for each other that they maybe don't like to do, because they know its worth it. So even though Rainbow Dash is kind of a loner who doesn't like to be bothered when she's trying to take a nap, she knows its something she needs to do. I think its a great touch of realism that their friendship isn't instantly super deep and perfect. Instead, something entirely mundane brought them together. (Like people becoming friends cause they happened to watch the same television show or something.)

I look forward to seeing more of Rainbow Dash trying to be a good example, but not being very good at it, at least not at first.

I totally agree, it fits with her character perfectly. I did think it was a good chance for her to show a different side of her character and develop a bit deeper of a personality and confirm what some people feel about her, that she is somewhat insecure. It isn't negative at all, and again I don't think of the episode any less because I'd have liked to see something like that. And I thought she thought that line out, at least that is how it seemed to me. I don't think she was so oblivious that Scootaloo was putting up a front. I actually suspect that she knew and that is why she WAS there when Scoots fell, because she knew what was going on, as she had done it before. She was just waiting for Scoots to fess up.

Oh yes, and yes, the relationships were rather realistic. They were quite great.

I was thinking (dangerous I know) about the episode last night when something came to mind.

So, it's canon now that Luna can enter and influence dreams.

What if when she was Nightmare Moon she could create nighmares? It adds another level to the vilain's powers. Imagine having the world kept in perpetual night and being unable to sleep because Nightmare moon haunts your dreams, making them nightmares.

This would give new meaning to Nightmare, both a mare of the night and an actual nightmare.

• Like 3