When in doubt, err on the side of humor.

flutterscotch

Hello again everypony!

I am dropping by here to talk about one of my favorite subjects "how do I get out of a tricky situation or plot without doing things the RP staff will shake their collective heads sadly at", and offer helpful suggestions.

Now, it is tempting (and natural) to be rational and tackle problems or challenges in RP the most efficient way possible, but sometimes that not only skirts on the edges of being a little too much for the tone of the WoE forum, but solves the problems too easily and might make for a less-rich RP experience. This is Equestria, after all, a land of whimsy and colourful ponies who can break the laws of physics and common sense. So, if you you need to ask someone if something might be considered a little too advanced or overly powerful to be allowed in in the World Of Equestria Slice of Life forum, the best solution is to just change your approach and do something goofy.

A few examples (more to be added)

Getting Characters who can not fly naturally to be up in the clouds.

Say you have a unicorn who is supposed to meet a group of ponies in Cloudsdale. The easiest way to do this would be to cast the spell that Twilight cast during the episode where Dash participated in the Best Young Flier competition. BUT if just anypony could do that, we'd see unicorns up there all the time (Lyra, I am convinced, was purely an animator error). In this case I would recommend something silly, that might nor work here on Earth, but is part of the style of whimsical visual gags we have seen on the show.

You could tie balloons to the character and drag him or her around as you RP, or birds with a mind of their own that keep your character drifting off, and that could become a part of the plot.

After all, one of the greatest visual gags ever is a Rube Goldberg device! So have fun, and remember that the most entertaining way from point A to Point B is definitely not a straight line. When in doubt, a silly means to an end is probably going to be more acceptable and true to the show than a magically powerful or technologically advanced one, especially if you keep it as a one-time event in your RPs.

• Like 1

Playing Applejack, I sometimes have her grab her rope out of nowhere, as if she just pull it out of thin air. This happens a lot in the show, because of cartoon logic, and I play it like that in role play, too. It's not exactly the same thing as what is stated above, but I just thought I'd mention my real role play applications.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...