High Society Stylin' with Country Profilin' (Sweet Apple Acres. Open; PM for Invite)

SteelEagle

Sweetie Belle

Sweetie Belle felt her little heart ache at that look on Silver Spoon's face. As much as she was wary of the bullies, she couldn't help but get pulled into their distress. "Oh, don't worry, most of the foals here didn't show up with dates," she assured Silver Spoon. "I mean, I did ... Valen's outfit and mine were actually custom-designed to be matching!" She grinned proudly, turning around to show off her lovely silver gown. "But just because you didn't show up with anypony doesn't mean you have to feel bad about it! You can still spend time with ponies and get to know them!"

Purple Haze

Purple hrmed, as the two adults seemed to already be busy with things. Ah well, no biggie. She rather agreed with Rarity's patent distress, anyway. Good thing she was here! She high-tailed it back over to where Sunrise and Psmith were just finishing their dance. "Ach! Sunrise, ye brought th' discs we talked a, roit? Why dinnae ye nip on o'er an' rescue th' music roit quick? Oi'll stay here wi' th' lad wot seems tae fancy ye, an' we kin all three have a shimmy when ye get back! Roit? Sorted!"

She turns then to Psmith and grinned. "Sorry Oi was all suspicious. Nae used tae fancy sorts meanin' wot they say. Ye're all roit, though!" She gave a friendly punch to his shoulder. "Ye ready tae get this party on?"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunrise Beach followed the complex and odd phrasing of Psmith's peculiar Canterlot dialect as best she could; at least this time she was able to understand most of what he said. It was enough to make the turquoise unicorn filly feel a twinge of guilt for poking fun at the chutney music. She wasn't backbiting, she just didn't want the very first colt to ask her to dance to think she was into little foal's music!

Before Sunrise could attempt to explain, or change the subject, the music suddenly came to an end. It looked as if Sweetie Belle's older sister didn't care for it either, which was just as well, as Sunrise really didn't have much of an explanation that didn't come back to her insisting she wasn't a foal anymore. The flip side though was that Psmith excused himself to see if he could dance with Purple Haze, "oh, umm, like okay. Well like, it was awesome dancing' with you, maaaaybe we can, like, dance again tonight, that would be radical! Purple would be like, happy to dance with you, she's not here to dance with fillies and junk!" Sunrise had some real mixed feeling at this point. Sure she wanted her bestie to have some pony to dance with, but it was a bummer that the one older colt here naturally gravitated to the older filly over Sunrise. Still, at least she got to dance with him first!

It was then Purple Haze reminded Sunrise of the records they brought. The little unicorn's face lit up with an excited smile, "oh right! Like, I have them in my saddlebag over in the corner and junk! Some real radicool to the max beats from DJ-PON3! None of that lame-o, foalish, grody junk! I'll like start the beats and you like, get ready to show the colts how to really dance!"

Sunrise Beach pulled the record out of the saddlebag with her horn and quietly trotted over to the record player. While Rarity had her back turned as she argued with Applejack over what to play, the turquoise filly floated the record onto the player and started it up. The music started off as a lovely piece of classical from Bethoofan… But after the first few opening strains, DJ PON3's undeniable influence came in as a techno beat inserted itself over the classic piano.

Satisfied with her saving the dance with some real tunes, Sunrise trotted proudly over to the group of fillies and colts, "so like hi again Silver, and hi Sweetie Belle! Like, who is your colt friend here?"

The music:

ValenOrange1withtext.png

It was a bit sad that Silver didn't bring anypony to dancew with to the party, but half the fun of any high society gathering was being unattached and able to dip your hooves in many pools. Of course there weren't many pools to be had in the area because it was a small party and the pools were more like bathtubs as the size of the ponies was different...the analogy got more confusing after that. But perhaps the situation would resolve itself amicably by the end of the night. Before he could speak up, Sweetie started showing off her dress for the evening. It was a beautiful gown; he should know, he was the one who originally ordered it from Miss Rarity! She had misunderstood his desire and made him this wonderful little number instead. He could lodge no complaints about the quality and it was true that they matched excessively well. He raised his hoof to show off the sequins of his suit as she turned around to show off her own trappings.

"Miss Rarity certainly did an exquisite job making both ensembles, I say," he added simply, nodding along with Sweetie as she layered on the positivity for the filly with the cutie mark, wondering what would happen next.

Rarity came to the rescue, shutting off the music before it could bore a hole down through his psyche any more than it had already done. Another save by the mare who was quickly escalating her position in his valuation. Poor Applejack just didn't seem to have a certain element of character for the high society necessities and was energetically ignorant of the flow of a high class engagement. It was a teachable issue but he wasn't the one to teach her but when it came to her short dancing stint it was nothing short of horrifying. A quick glance was all he could afford before he pulled himself desperately away. Psmith was finishing up with Sunrise, who in conjunction with Purple Haze had managed to smuggle some music in. Celestia sent graces, he was thankful for that. The nice chords of classical Beathoofen, even if it eventually degenerated into electronica. Oh well- he could manage with the butchering of classics more than he could handle the parts of a pony.

But in the end, there was a simple numbers game at play. There were four fillies and two colts, and Valen was committed to showing one a particularly good time. Sure, the whole thing started because he couldn't say no and she mistook him for somepony else, but he never looked a gift filly in the mouth and besides, it was all for fun. But Psmith was the only other colt. He was certainly more of a stallion than Valen but he was still one colt. Not even his suave energy could entertain the three for long. A solution would present itself soon, he hoped. In any case, Sunrise came up and introduced herself to Valen and Sweetie. Valen bowed at the fetlock.

"My name is Valen Orange. A pleasure to meet you!" Valen smiled as he looked around. The one thing he could do to make everypony happy and make Sweetie feel special? Get some punch.

"Does anypony want some more punch? It is quite delightful. Sweetie, do you want any?"

• 2 weeks later...

-Silver Spoon-

Silver stood over by the punch casually sipping from her glass as she looked out over the party. She knew a bunch of the ponies there either didn't like her or were more used to her 'bully' aspect rather then the caring and compassionate Silver Spoon. Oh well, that would be their loss. When the music stopped Silver let out a small chuckle. Sweeitebelle was actually trying to involve Silver in the party and for some reason that brought a bright smile to her face. Sure she had came with no pony to dance with or to party with but that didn't matter if there was Fillies and Colts in the place like Sweetie.

"Oh my, that is a mighty lovely dress Sweetie! You said Rarity made it? That is quite the designer for such an ensemble. My dress was made in Canterlot and sadly there is roughly seven thousand more of it." Silver spoke softly letting the end of her tone drop off in what seemed to be sadness. "One of a kind dress, and it looks amazing on you. Glad that you enjoy it so much as well, fashion is only as beautiful as the pony it is on." Wait wait wait, did that just come out of Silver's mouth. Despite her actually thinking that Sweetie did look stunning in that dress there was no need to boost the poor, already inflated, blank flank was there?

"Yes Sweetie, the punch is very very good, you should try some." Silver sipped a bit more from her glass as she contemplated the party.

With customary languid grace, Psmith moved his company smoothly from Sunrise Beach to Purple Haze. He did not regret his choice in the order in which he'd chosen to dance with the fillies present; the former had been in more need of encouragement to have a good time at this party, and now it seemed that all was right with her. He smiled as she went out to fetch more music, only flinching slightly as her friend gave a friendly slug. He was used to such from his schoolmates back in Canterbridge.

"I thank you greatly for your seal of approval! The favor of a fair lady is a worthy prize indeed, worn traditionally on the sleeve, or the crown of one's hat. I won't ask for a ribbon, though; I shan't spoil your ensemble to make a scene of chivalry." As a matter of style, it would be hard to judge between Purple's thick Fet Loch accent and Psmith's Canterlot verbosity as to which was more difficult to decipher. The contrast was undoubtedly picturesque, though, and the colt was enough of an aesthete to appreciate it.

But there was only so much even an eclectic taste could take solemnly. As soon as he heard the notes of Beethooven transition into electronica beats, a short burst of laughter broke his customary repose. "What Pipes and trimbles! What notes of ecstasy!" Irony and amusement mixed in his voice, but there was nothing ill natured in it. He turned to bow to his new dance partner. "I must confess, I do find much in this passing strange, but as a stranger, I give it welcome. Lead on with the dance, and I shall follow as best my starched shirt will allow."

• 3 weeks later...
Sweetie Belle wasn't quite sure how to take Silver Spoon being so ... nice! That had happened a few times before ... but it had always preceded something horrible happening. Still, maybe this time it was going to be for real! Not like the last twenty-seven times! Sweetie Belle bought a bit of time by smiling to Valen. "Oh, yes, darling, some punch would be simply divine! My throat is quite parched, and I just can't wait to have a taste!"

She squeezed his hoof briefly, then let him walk off ... leaving her alone with Silver Spoon! Gulp! Though ... Silver Spoon seemed more sad than mean. Sweetie bit her lower lip. She couldn't STAND sadness! She just had to say something! "Oh, well, then that simply means that, um..." Math math math mathity math, ummmm... She counted with a few little clopping sounds with her hooves as she tried to do the complicated subtraction in her head. ALL the columns were borrowing! "Siiiiix thousand annnnnnd nine hundred annnnnd ninety nine ponies who don't look as good in that dress as you do! You're so lucky that you have a shop dress like that, so that you can have a standard of comparison like that!"

There! That should cheer her up!

Purple Haze curtseyed to the colt smiling politely, one forehoof moving to her skirts and giving them a little tweak. As the classical music started, she sashayed left and right, making her skirts swish around her hindlegs.

She felt decidedly ... surreal. Here they were at a fancy party - and that by itself was odd - and here was Silver Spoon acting ... nice. And here was a fancy young gentlepony acting ... like he actually liked them, despite their being all rough and tumble. If she was her nerdy older brother, she'd probably be thinking something about mind-slugs or some such thing from one of his egghead books... well, they were living close to the Everfree. That wasn't entirely out of character for that place. Still. Maybe sometimes ponies were just nice.

Throughout these surreal feelings, she continued smiling to the Smith pony. What P is in smith? She had no idea. She grinned at him, her head bobbing with the music as it picked up. "Dinnae fesh yerself! Ye jes goan tae pop it, innae? S'not hard, jes' goan tae feel it!" With that, she started bouncing up and down on her hooves, and then lifted up one forehoof towards the ceiling as she was bouncing, her head still banging with each bounce.

Sunrise Beach smiled back at the blue maned colt, he was a bit on the small side but at least he appeared to be friendly in his introduction. “Like hi! I’m Sunrise Beach and this like, radical gal is my bestie Purple Haze! It’s uhh, cool to me you and junk! Oh, and yeah, I’ll take some of that punch.” Hey, he was offering, so why not?

What was a bit strange was how Sweetie Belle was talking. Sunrise never remember her talking like that in school, it sort of sounded like Canterlot Fancy, but actually understandable, like in those five bit romance novels. Why was she trying to be fancy? Then it dawn on the turquoise filly, she was trying to impress! They must be on one of those dates! Was this supposed to be a date event?? Eh, no matter, not like Purple or Silver had a date so it wasn’t like Sunrise was the odd pony out. Still she was curious, “so like Sweetie, are you and this Valen dude, like an item or something?!”

What appeared just as important, at least to Sweetie, was cheering up Silver Spoon. Was she a depressive sort? The gray earth filly appeared happy enough hanging out with her own bestie, the one that wore that tiara all the time. Well in any case, what would be far more effective than platitudes about the silver maned filly’s dress was some radical dancing to the righteous beats now playing thanks to Dj-PON-3! “Like c’mon Silver Spoon, you need to get your hooves like, out on the dance floor, let's go!” Sunrise grabbed Silver Spoon by the hooves and pulled her out near where Psmithe and Purple were dancing away, well at least Purple was. Sunrise started to bob and weave, bouncing from her left hooves to her right and back again as she enjoyed the rapid beats and heavy thumps of the techno music, “like isn’t this music totally radical Silver? Let’s rock!”

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Two for the punch seemed fine by Valen. Truth be told he had been a bit worried about the punch going in. Sure, everypony would know to expect apples coming into sweet apple acres but even the punch was tinted heavily by the fruit. Apples on top of apples would tire sophisticated ponies with temperamental taste buds that associated class with subtle variance. He had negotiated small changes to the punch formula by splicing different fruits in with the apples and it sounded like it had worked, if Silver's recommendation meant much. He bowed to his two fillies, Sunrise and Sweetie, and swiftly went to his work. While he trotted to his new spot and appreciated Sunrise's 'sweet dance moves' including how the sweat came off of a filly mid-dance, he crossed by Applejack.

What to tell the mare? The truth? That would mean telling her that she had nearly sabotaged the party with her choice of music and general inability to unlock that fancy part of her Valen knew lay within. She had grown up a bit in Manehattan after all and a taste of that life should have informed her a bit. But the truth also meant sleeping out in the pig pen. In all, the truth was overrated. He was fine with a lie.

"You're doing a great job, Applejack. Thank you," he told her under the beat of the music. At least the second part was true, as despite her poor musical taste she had gone out of her way to help create this party in under a day. That counted for something!

So he went to his appointed task and got two cups of punch for the two fillies, putting them on a small tray so he could put it on his back. He then gently trotted back to the fillies, though with less concern than he might have had otherwise. He had enough experience delivering drinks for older ponies at high society functions to serve a bunch of fillies likewise.

"Here you go, Sunrise. I really hope you enjoy it!" Valen stated peppily, deftly avoiding her smooth moves en route to delivering her drink. He had the skills even if they would never pay the bills. he then moved next to Sweetie, giving her the punch gently.

"And here is your drink, Madame," Valen said, happy to be able to share this occasion with several good ponies. But anyway, it was time to talk a bit more as the main parties got to know one another. It was the rules, ya know!

"So Madame Belle, what do your parents do?"

• 1 month later...

-Silver Spoon-

Silver grinned slightly at Sweeite's remarks. It was rather kind of her to attempt to do math on her behalf. She knew it wasn't easy for the blank flank to be kind to her after all the things that Diamond Tiara and herself had done. But it was different when she was alone, she was trying her best to show that she wasn't always evil. It was more like just a phase or something she did to fit in with what the 'rich and proper' were supposed to do. In Ponyville she only knew of Diamond Tiara that had a wealthy family, maybe there was more to life then trying to impress her?

Then Valen came back and gave the punch to Sweetie and Sunrise.

"Thank you Valen for braving the dance floor to bring the punch for these two Fillies." Silver nodded her head to him then turned herself to Sweeite. "And thanks to you Sweetie for your comments on my dress. It wasn't very easy to get and to see ponies out there in anything less then their best is a shame."

To do him credit, Psmith did indeed refrain from 'feshing' himself. What he did instead was.... somewhat beyond the power of language to describe. His movements were not without coordination, or even a certain amount of grace. But for those minor details, however, he danced like Princess Twilight Sparkle.

It took more than one dance number to sudden electronica to embarrass Wordsworth Psmith, and he concluded his performance without a blush of shame, bowing to his partner. "I do hope that proved satisfactory, comrade Haze. After such exertions, I feel a distinct need to refresh the tissues. Onwards to the punchbowl, symbol of merriment and mirth!"

He arrived at that watering place just in time to hear Silver Spoon's remark, which he could not let pass without comment. "Many complain about fashion as a fuss over unnecessary things. I think their philosophy flawed; if one takes no care in one's dress, why should they dress at all? One may have differences of opinion or convention; I myself have a broad aesthetic taste. Any style pleases me, but I do ask that the clothes be clean and well cared for. Polished shoes of yesteryear are more to the credit of a pony, than scuffed ones in the latest cut. It is, as in gifts, the thought that counts."

"Oh come on, Rarity, I know it's not your hancy fancy gala music, but it's all I got. Well, there is Big Mac's private collection of his own a cappella solo tracks. But other than that, that's about it. What would you suggest?"

Rarity sighed and wished for a moment she had thought of this. Of course this was inevitable. She only wish she had considered music, but between decor and food and everything else it didn't even occur to her that Applejack wouldn't have anything at all suitable. She could have brought many records from her own collection. Now they were in a spot though, and furthermore, they were creating a scene. Something had to play...

"A cappella, you say? Not even perhaps anything we recorded when we were with the Ponytones?" Rarity asked, recalling that interesting experience in her past. She had got to know Applejack's brother fairly well as the two of them toured for a few months with the permanent members of the popular vocal group. It had been quite the opportunity, and one Rarity would be happy to repeat again if offered the chance, though when it was through she had been happy to return to her boutique. And while the Ponytones were not quite music for a high class soiree, it was melodic and unobjectionable and would have done well enough.

Before Rarity could be answered however, a filly, Sunrise, if she recalled, came on and put on something. Hearing the familiar notes of a Bethoofan piece, Rarity initially believed them saved but then the piece became increasingly muddled with electronic sounds. Rarity narrowed her eyes in disbelief, especially when the piano seemed to be lost entirely. Honestly, what were the ponies these days doing with classics these days. Sure, on its own, she supposed the piece was fine enough... she knew some of the "DJs" that were popular these days and had hired them to provide music for fashion shows... but if this was supposed to be a high class party, this really did not fit much better than Applejack's silly selection. She could just see the fine canterlot elite upturning their muzzles and calling it an aberration.

"No... I'm not sure this will do either..." she said, though this time she didn't stop the record either. It wasn't suitable, but perhaps for the kids... it could at least be allowed to play through until they found a more permanent solution. "Oh, if only we just had live music here... that would solve all of the problems.."

Of course, it would have been silly to hire a classy orchestra or band to play at a party of this size... but still, Rarity couldn't help but articulate this as she looked back toward Applejack.

For Sunrise Beach, things were certainly going well. She was asked to dance by an older colt, before any other filly! She manage to get her and Purple's rockin' beats to be played! Heck, another colt even brought her punch! It was enough to make a filly feel really desired, if it wasn't for the rather plain, some may say folksy dress she got from Twilight that sadly clashed with her turquoise coat. Sure it was embarrassing, but so far none of the other ponies had drawn any attention to it, not even when they complimented each other's outfits, and better yet it didn't scare the colts away!

Unlike the owner of the hokey red dress, Sunrise actually knew how to dance, at least to the modern, hip beats all the cool fillies and colts listened to. Psmith though was another matter entirely! The poor unicorn colt, his 'dancing', if you could call it that, was painfully awkward to behold, so much so that Sunrise couldn't help but snicker loudly at the preposterous display being showcased in front of everypony, "like wooooow, where did you like, learn to dance and junk!?" At least he had the self-awareness to extradite himself from the dance floor quickly.

This just left Silver Spoon and herself, which was fine; Sunrise figured others would join soon enough; after all who couldn't dig such hip music as DJ-PON-3's latest hits? As the turquoise filly energetically danced the the thumps of the base she didn't take much care to how well her old dress would hold up; with a sudden swing of her flank, Sunrise heard a tearing noise and instantly knew what had gone wrong.

There was a large tear right up the side of her dress along her right flank.

The turquoise unicorn quickly galloped off the dance floor, her head held low, hoping no other pony noticed what just happened. Best to stand behind the chaperones so the other colts and fillies wouldn't see, and laugh, even if there was nothing to two adults could do in Sunrise's mind other than shield her with their bodies. Still she should let Purple know what happened. She made an all too loud whisper in her attempt to get her bestie's attention, "psssssh! Like, Purple, c'mere, I needs to like, talk to you and junk! Like right now!"

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

Rarity made it obvious that Applejack's music wouldn't be appropriate to keep playing. And along with another suggestion, she hesitated to question why Applejack would have her hooves on a copy of Big Mac's solo tracks but not the rest of the pony tones. Applejack didn't really know. Did they even release an album? Big Mac never talked about that. Big Mac didn't talk about a lot of things. And the lip-syncing incident was one he never liked to talk about anyway. Big Mac would always divert the attention elsewhere. And because Applejack loved her brother, so did she. "Kids these days don't like pony tones music, anyway Rarity. That's for older ponies like us." Applejack side-hugged Rarity with a random amount of confidence Applejack had in her choice. And why should she think otherwise? All the foals seemed to be having fun. "What these kids need is music like..."

When Sunrise spun a new disc, it started playing classical music, but quickly escalated to a techno remix of a typical formal dance song. "Like that!" Applejack pointed at Sunrise to Rarity. "Lookie here, one of Valen's girlfriends brought her own music. It must be a song from the latest trends, I reckon. See these kids are creative enough on their own. They know what's good."

Just then, Valen walked by to grab some drinks. He told Applejack she was doing a great job with this party. Applejack's confidence inflated. "Aw shucks, Sugarcube. Don't mention it. Go on, I think your date is thirsty." Applejack gave Valen a cute little shove using her face.

Applejack winced when some of the foals stepped on each other's hooves during the fast paced song. It looked less like a formal dance now, but at least they were having fun. That's what's important right? When Rarity began suggesting the current music wasn't good enough either, Applejack started questioning what she was looking for. After all, it's not like the musical resources on hoof were really that spectacular. "What do you mean? I have a bango in the attic, and um, can you play a steel guitar?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

-Silver Spoon-

Silver watched in amazement as Psmith danced with Sunrise. Then came her snickering. Oh what was this a school dance? No, it was something of a higher standard and it was sad to see that Sunrise thought that Psmith's dancing was funny.

"His style of dancing is elegant and graceful, or at least the start of it. His partner could use some work though." She said under her breath as she looked around back to Sweetie Belle who just stood there sipping on her punch that Valen brought to them. It was quite good punch but there was still something missing. Of course that would be a colt or filly asking her to dance. Silver doubted that would happen simply due to how many of these fillies looked at her with this gaze as if they were looking through her rather then at her. This cold glare felt like it froze her very soul with their piercing stare. At least she could still talk with Sweetie, Sunrise, and Valen.

*riiiiipppp*

Silver knew that sound all too well, someone had busted a dance move to end all dance moves. The Garment Rip Finale. It was one of the few master dance moves that Silver herself hadn't even tried before. She looked out into the crowed and noticed Sunrise pull off the move, and then some. The dress was clearly ruined, and ripped to perfection. Silver couldn't stop herself from snorting and giggling as she saw Sunrise try and coax Purple Haze to go with her. Oh maybe things at this elite function were turning around and actually getting better for not just comedic relief but every aspect as a whole.

Archived