High Society Stylin' with Country Profilin' (Sweet Apple Acres. Open; PM for Invite)

SteelEagle

ValenOrange1withtext.png

With the exception of Magnum, who exuded a very country flair and gave a unique infliction to his voice that Valen couldn't place, the others in Valen's party seemed to play into the sport of stereotype he expected to desire such an event. They were all very well heeled or at least were putting on a good show of it, the language and mannerisms one he could easily abide by and deal with. Maybe a few were trying too hard to out-do one another in the fancy scale, but for some of them it was endearing. Sweetie Belle's coached manner and slightly hesitant search for the proper words only made it clearer that she was expecting great things out of the night, and it would be Valen's sincere pleasure to make her dreams come true like any true gentlecolt. And part of being a gentlecolt was a nice hoofshake-

-And Magnum certainly gave him one, rattling the colt like a foal's rattle. It took the colt a few stumbling seconds to recover from the father's powerful shake, and a few more to reset his style. Fathers: The bane of all dates since the first. He didn't let on that he was perturbed any, however.[colour=#0033cc] "A very firm hoofshake there, sir. I don't think my hoof will stop moving for a year!"[/colour] Valen laughed as he nodded at Psmith,[colour=#0033cc] "and I can assure you that we won't waste a moment more!"[/colour] And with that, they were off and Valen's attention was devoted to Sweetie Belle for the remainder of the trip and beyond.

She liked his flower, giggling and shaking her rear with excitement as the prospects of the evening grew and grew. She complimented him on his suit which was fine enough; he knew he could rock a fine frock. He could say the same about her. She was a pretty filly who had spent some time managing her look for the night, and the dress was simply sublime. Of course he would say that; it was the dress meant for him. But he would readily admit that she looked much better in it than he, even if she was a bit smaller than him and therefore the skirt hung lower than it needed to, but the result was a very practiced and controlled walk from the sashaying filly who couldn't contain her excitement. A short bumbling for the right words was all that betrayed that this wasn't all too natural for her, but the energy that she was exhibiting more than made up. More than any anything, she was appealing because of that enthusiasm.

[colour=#0033cc]"Thank you, Madame. You also look absolutely smashing in your dress- I see your sister has pulled out all the stops!"[/colour] He offered pleasantly before allowing the filly to talk some fancy some more, and sweet streetcleaners, she talked some good fancy. After a few more moments of the group trotting down the country road and it wasn't long before, much to Valen's surprise, Sweetie Belle started to sing. And what was even better was that she sang like an angel, her voice caressing the trail just as sweetly as a sugarcube corner treat after a hard day's work. Her range, soft-spoken power that broke through until she was in a full-throated ballad. He trotted by her side, compelled to follow in step. They pranced merrily down the country road.

[colour=#4b0082]o/` o/` o/` o/` o/` [/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]Grace this night! I feel so special! A grown-up gal! A beautiful mare! [/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]Grace this night! You're so special! A grown-up gal! A beautiful mare![/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]Grace this night! I'll be the belle of the ball! Dancing with the colts who stare![/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]Grace this night! You're the belle of the ball! Dancing with the colts who stare![/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]Grace this night! I've been looking forward...to this night! I'm sure to go far![/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]Grace this night! You've been looking forward to this night! You're sure to go far![/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]Grace this night! Because I've always known! That I'm going...to be a staaaaaaaar![/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]Grace this night! Because after tonight, I know you're going to be a staaaaaaaar![/colour]

[colour=#4b0082]o/` o/` o/` o/` o/`[/colour]

They moved further down the road and he took the lead a little, leaning in as the barn came into view dearly.

[colour=#0033cc]Now, my dear, is time for you to come into your element[/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]You need no fear, for tonight is a night of merriment[/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]When my father taught me how to be a gentlecolt I never perceived,[/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]When my mother taught me how to treat a lady I never suspected,[/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]That tonight would be the night that made me believe,[/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]That tonight would be the night that truly connected,[/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]When I learned that a true gentlecolt says,[/colour]

He stopped singing, speaking in his soft, kind-hearted voice in a tone barely above a hush.

[colour=#0033cc]"Tonight, Sweetie, you are the belle of the ball, a beautiful mare, and you will be the star,"[/colour] He finished as the barn stood in front of them. He smiled.

[colour=#0033cc]Grace this night and it's little stars! We have arrived![/colour]

[colour=#0033cc]Grace this night and it's little stars! We shine so bright![/colour]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

v3gfue.jpg

Rubbing the back of his head, Filthy Rich judged from Applejack’s surprised response felt like he had needlessly intruded. Maybe Applejack insisted on minimal help as per her stubborn nature, or the stallion had simply arrived too early instead? Either way, Mr. Rich didn’t feel like it was his place to intrude further. [colour=#8b4513]“Well,”[/colour] he apologized, backing away in the meantime; [colour=#8b4513]“I suppose I can wait outside then while you two finish up. I didn’t mean to impose.”[/colour] It looked like Filthy would wait outside and see who'd arrive next.....

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#FF0000]"What? Well what kind of a party would this be without a list of people to show up. [/colour][colour=#FF0000]You don't think they invited everyone in Ponyville do ya?"[/colour]

[colour=#663399]"I certainly hope not," [/colour]Rarity said at once, distressed even at the thought.

She gave a sigh. She was really starting to let this party get to her. She had faced worse things than this. There was that clumsy balancing act on Twilight's birthday in Canterlot, there were those odious diamond dogs she had to outsmart, there was Sweetie Belle and the Social, there was Nightmare Moon, Discord, the Crystal Faire... This little party was nothing. it was just a cute little party for Sweetie and Valen. There was nothing to get worked up over.

She laughed and then shook her head, smiling toward AJ. [colour=#663399]"I'm sure it will just be my sister's cute little school friends. I certainly can't imagine many adults or ponies of importance feeling the need to show up at a party thrown for school foals,"[/colour] Rarity said with quiet certainty, ending on a dramatic nod.

[colour=#8B4513]“How do you two do, Miss Rarity and Miss Applejack? Since nopony else is here yet, can I be of any assistance?”[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Wha- what are you doin' here!?"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]“Well, [/colour][colour=#8B4513]I suppose I can wait outside then while you two finish up. I didn’t mean to impose.”[/colour]

Rarity stood slack jawed at what had just happened. As if the words she had said had been his cue, a stallion had suddenly made his entrance. Applejack was able to voice her confusion, but all Rarity could do was stare. She knew this pony. He was Filthy Rich, owner of Barnyard Bargains and probably the wealthiest pony in Ponyville. Why would he possibly be here? Sure, his daughter was one of Sweetie's little schoolmates, but as far as she was aware the two did not get along. Either way, Rarity didn't know how to react at first. Eventually, she turned toward AJ.

"Now then, as I was saying, we must insure that everything is immaculately prepared. We mustn't cut corners, AJ dear. Let us make this an event that even Canterlot's elite would be keen to attend," she said in a very level voice. Her soft smile poorly concealing her growing panic.

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

[colour=#ff0000]"Alright, Rarity."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack made her way back to the kitchen, finishing some trays of the crackers she had made out. She then carried a large wooden barrel out to the barn, threw it on one of the serving tables and stuck a spigot near the bottom of the barrel for pouring. And she straightened it out, she figured Rarity would have something to say, so she just decided to break the moments peace first. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "No, it's not hard cider, don't worry. I'm not going to make that mistake again. If fact, it's not even cider. This is straight up fruit juice, made from fruit I bought from the market yesterday."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack continued to prepare th drinking area buy placing paper cups by the barrel. The cups had party themes on them. Some cups had animal faces, while others had the words 'Happy Birthday' written on them.[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Psmith would class himself as more an observer, the classic chorus in the drama of life than an active actor. He was content, therefore, to trail behind Sweetie Belle as she and Valen engaged in an impromptu duet, humming backup under his breath with an appreciative smile on his face. At the conclusion of the song, he clopped his hooves against the grass in applause (not wanting to stir up dust from the road and so ruin his suit).

"[colour=#996699]Brava! Brava Regatza! Excellently performed, and no doubt truly sung. I for one, am prepared to defend Comrade Sweetie Belle's claim to the title under your leadership, comrade Valen. And now we arrive at the great estates!"[/colour]

Indeed, the gates of Sweet Apple acres were just coming into view, though the actual orchards themselves had been visible long before. Even the saturnine Psmith was impressed by their magnificent expanse. "[colour=#996699]If wealth lies in the land, as the feudal lords maintained, then this orchard is a true fortune; a forest of opulence that stretches beyond the horizon. I do hope the squires in residence doesn't let it go to their heads, though one could hardly blame them if it did. Still, one comes to the country in hopes of a more personal hospitality, as in the Golden Age.[/colour]"

His face was a mask of perfect solemnity, so much so that one could hardly tell if he were serious.

v3gfue.jpg

Filthy Rich didn’t know how long he waited a short distance away from the Apple family barn... maybe about fifteen to thirty minutes. Anyway, it took about that length of time for the stallion to spy the next ponies to arrive at Sweet Apple Acres. Four ponies to be exact; Sweetie Belle looked every bit the little sister of Rarity, and her father didn’t look too shabby either considering his usually-horrid clothing choices. But Mr. Rich also saw two he didn’t recognize; both of them colts. Glad to have some company at last though, Filthy waved to the group and shouted a hearty [colour=#8b4513]“Howdy there!”[/colour]

Sweetie Belle felt a flush spread over her face from the exertion of dancing and singing, and from the sweet way that Valen sang. As he whispered so softly and tenderly to her, her cheeks were flaming, and her lil' heart was going a pitter-patter!

But through it all, she kept singing with Valen, leaving him his solos, and then finishing off singing the final lines with him.

[colour=#800080]"I really like your voice!" [/colour]She murmured to him excitedly, giving an excited, happy lil' wriggle. [colour=#800080]"It's nice and fuzzy! I like fuzzy voices."[/colour]

But then Psmith's declarations rang out, and Sweetie Belle blinked in surprise. Her own flights of fanciness weren't up to matching that sort of eloquence! [colour=#800080]"Um ..."[/colour] she said, surprised, trying to follow along. [colour=#800080]"If feudal land is an orchard, then opulent fortune stretches golden hospitality beyond the horizon ... do squires not have heads?"[/colour] she mused, trying to follow the track of the question... she rubbed at her chin, looking confused, then her eyes lit up. She nodded to Psmith. [colour=#800080]"No,"[/colour] she said firmly. [colour=#800080]"The apple family keeps their heads about them."[/colour] she said, looking towards the barn to see somepony approaching.

Her eyes brightened again. [colour=#800080]"Ah, Mister Rich! How lovely to see you tonight! Are you one of the champ-or-ones of this fancy party? That makes sense, since you're the second most fancy pony in Ponyville!"[/colour]

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Everything had gone better than Valen could have hoped. Sweetie was taken in by his forced if still earnest charm, giving him a compliment which warmed the cockles of his, well, already warm heart. The whole song had been such a random affair that truthfully he had been worried that he had somehow mucked up the whole affair and she'd scamper off into the night, ruining his chance to be a wonderful host. Thankfully, she took to it well, and now she and Psmith were saying...things? He considered himself an intelligent colt, definitely better than some others he knew, but the things Psmith said and Sweetie Belle tried to reply with were odd and nonsensical considering the situation. Of course that may have been due more to his personal experiences with the Apples and opulence was one of many words just spoken that he wouldn't apply to them. Though he was right- the orchard was huge, and they certainly sold a lot of product. Valen nodded as Sweetie Belle attempted to answer, smiling his own.

[colour=#3333cc]"Well, it certainly is an active and large orchard. They do fantastic business. Speaking of business, how about we get to the business of the-"[/colour] Valen spoke as he walked head-turned to his compatriots, almost walking into Filthy Rich. Pony seemed nice enough, certainly fancy enough to attend his highly fancy party. Sweetie placed him quick enough, giving him all that Valen needed to know.

[colour=#3333cc]"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Rich," [/colour]He offered a hoof,[colour=#3333cc] "name's Valen. Welcome to the party,"[/colour] After Rich was done, Valen turned back to the assorted ponies around him.

[colour=#3333cc]"So, how about we get down to the business of the night?" [/colour]He asked sweetly, trotting carefully up to the door and opening it up to reveal the party inside.

[colour=#FF0000]"Alright, Rarity. [/colour][colour=#FF0000]No, it's not hard cider, don't worry. I'm not going to make that mistake again. If fact, it's not even cider. This is straight up fruit juice, made from fruit I bought from the market yesterday."[/colour]

Rarity just glowered as she watched Applejack roll out the juice barrel. Really, how could a mare be so perpetually clueless when it came to matters of class! It was alarming. She shook her head and sighed. Then she happened to see the cups AJ intended to serve the juice in! Oh my... It was almost too much. She said she wanted this party to be just right, but did she truly understand anything at all? She began to panic a little and then started to gather up the cups so she could store them away.

[colour=#663399]"These will be fine for Apple Bloom's next birthday... or for any time Pinkie's throwing a party, but this is different, Applejack,"[/colour] Rarity said as she retrieved a large glass bowl.

[colour=#663399]"No juice straight out of the barrel. We'll blend it and make a punch. We put that out and let the guests serve themselves, but in glassware not paper cups," [/colour]she said as she paced around.

[colour=#663399]"And, actually, hard beverages might not actually be a bad idea this time, since evidently we will be having adult guests..."[/colour] she said, recalling Filthy Rich's appearance. [colour=#663399]"You wouldn't happen to have any wine to serve?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack responded slightly annoyed at Rarity for immediately suggesting that the paper cups would be no good. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "What? Well, what does it matter? They're just kids."[/colour][colour=#000000] And then Rarity implied that the barrel should not be seen, and that the drinks should be served from a glass bowl into glass cups. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"But we don't even have that much glass, Rarity? I don't think. Unless you brought your supply of fine china."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack said it at first as a joke. But then realized right away the query would be taken seriously. And then Rarity said hard drinks would be a good idea this time. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"WHAT!? After all that mix-up I had at Apple Bloom's party! There's no way I-."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Just then, Valen and Sweetie Belle, along with some of the first guests walked in. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Oh hi guys, come on in and enjoy yer parteh!"[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack smiled, but then straightened her face while taken the barrel of juice back to the kitchen.[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Sweetie Belle may have been slightly confused by Psmith's customary long-windedness, but she got the point of it soon enough. "[colour=#996699]Ah! You allay my concerns greatly. A cry goes 'round the castle walls, 'Discard your anxieties! The Apple dynasty have their heads well screwed on!' I wish now," [/colour]He frowned pensively, disregarding any further confusion he may have spawned, "[colour=#996699]That I had thought to bring a present, besides my presence. Does that suffice comrade Valen? I fear for your social life if you think so; it smacks of egotism, which the death of politeness. But c'est la vie, we must make do with our best behavior, which will hopefully be acceptable." [/colour]He adjusted his tie, checking once again that all was well, before following the other colt through the gate.

He stopped in front of Filthy Rich and bowed, "[colour=#996699]And the community pillars come out to show their support! It is always a pleasing sight, this municipal comradeship. But let us not delay the pleasantries, my name is Wordsworth Psmith, the latter by preference, spelled P-S-M-I-T-H, the first letter being silent. And you are?[/colour]" The colt was relaxed, as if for all the world he were in his native environment of the Canterlot club or Soirée, and in absolutely no hurry whatsoever. He was not a pony who believed in rushing through things; the sort of bustle which dispensed with pleasantries and introductions he regarded as gauche to the extremest degree.

v3gfue.jpg

The first pony to greet Filthy Rich, the slightly older unicorn colt named Wordsworth Psmith, certainly carried himself in an intellectually aristocratic manner. However, it also looked like the brown stallion wasn’t the only pony in Equestria to have a name preference. [colour=#8b4513]“My name’s Filthy Rich; the latter by preference,”[/colour] he introduced through imitation, providing his hoof for Psmith to take; [colour=#8b4513]“It’s a fine pleasure to meet you Mr. Psmith.”[/colour] Filthy had no issue with pronouncing the silent P, having plenty of experience in saying lots of weird names in his life.

Sweetie Belle said hello next, and she asked if he was a chaperone; [colour=#8b4513]“Indeed I am chaperoning tonight, but I’m mainly here to have fun like everypony else. I don’t really think I’m all that fancy anyway, but thank you Miss Belle.”[/colour] When it came to the looks department, Mr. Rich had always been of the modest sort.

Finally the younger earth pony colt introduced himself as Valen, piquing Filthy Rich’s interest.[colour=#8b4513] “Ah, you’re that Valen Orange boy who’s been living with the Apples,”[/colour] Mr. Rich excitedly proclaimed, also providing his hoof to Valen; [colour=#8b4513]“I’ve heard all about how you love life on the farm!”[/colour] And with that, Filthy followed the others inside the barn.....

• 2 weeks later...
Sweetie Belle giggled to Psmith. [colour=#800080]"You are too modest, sir!"[/colour] she said, mimicing her sister Rarity's speech, and then led group inside, nodding her head politely to Valen. [colour=#800080]"And *you* are too sweet!"[/colour] she said, her voice squeaking a little.

As she led them in, she said assured Psmith, [colour=#800080]"don't worry! You don't need to bring a gift!"[/colour] She tried to think of that dressage book that Prince Blueblood had lent her. She'd only gotten through a little of the dry, boring book, and hadn't found the part about dresses yet, but it had a lot about how to be polite in it. [colour=#800080]"For this party is their gift to us ... to bring gifts of our own would make it seem an exchange, but a gift freely accepted is a gift twice over, once to the receiver, once to the bearer!"[/colour]

She wriggled happily at having remembered it correctly! It even made sense! Sorta ... she wasn't sure how the one 'giving a gift' was getting a gift, too, when it specifically says you don't have to give a gift back ... but it sounded like it applied!

Then she saw Applejack, and smiled happily. [colour=#800080]"Hi, Applejack!" [/colour]she cried, her foreleg waving above her head, but then she remembered herself. [colour=#800080]"I mean, Good evening, Miss Applejack! Quite a lovely swaree you have here! I hope we are neither too early, nor too late!"[/colour] She paused a moment. [colour=#800080]"If we're too early, we could always take a short walk around the orchard, it's a lovely night, and come back shortly! Though it'd be harder to do the other way around, to take a walk and then come back earlier!"[/colour] She giggled playfully, covering up her grinning mouth with both forehooves.

ValenOrange1withtext.png

Watching Sweetie Belle try with all of her heart to be the fanciest pony around was delightful to watch, almost as much as it was hysterical. What a filly- a really special pony. No wonder his cousin had joined with her to create the Cutie Mark Crusaders! Who wouldn't want to have such a unique personality around at all times? Of course he had no special interest beyond his gentlecolt duties of showing her a fine time this night, but it was worth noting. Well, that and she smelled nice. And looked pretty. And SWEET CELESTIA PAPER CUPS WHAT WAS APPLEJACK THINKING!

Well meaning Applejack, kind, sweet Applejack, completely unrefined Applejack, what was she thinking? This was a fancy party, not a little pony's birthday party with foalish little desires to concern yourselves with. This was about refinement, a showcase that you were among those who carried themselves with a certain degree of pride, respect, and belief in themselves that was uncommon. He knew Applejack had all those things and her blood boiled with a strength of honor that most ponies he had met in Manehattan's social circle couldn't have had if they had spent every last cent. She deserved the undying respect of everypony in Equestria, from the smallest filly to the Princesses themselves. And while she had the respect of those who mattered, she deserved more from all types of ponies and today would be a step for her towards the time when even the fanciest pony saw in Applejack everything that Valen did.

And you didn't do that with plastic cups and treating it like a birthday party. Valen would play it off, however- Rarity was here and she would help the Apple mare pull this out. He had confidence in her. He had confidence in Applejack. And he had confidence in himself to not panic. He turned to Sweetie Belle, and then the rest of the guests as they entered.

[colour=#3333cc]"I'm so happy to have you. Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres. Now-"[/colour] he bowed to his date, offering the inside a hoof for the filly so they could go for a dance or even just shoot the breeze, [colour=#3333cc]"time to pass boldly into this other world, in the full glory of some passion!"[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

(Apologies for letting this hang so long! Y'all weren't waiting on me, were you?)

Would wonders never cease! Yet another stallion of sensibility had gotten Psmith's name right, this one evidently a chaperone for the younger guests. The lavender unicorn felt a deep sympathy with Filthy Rich; after all, both knew what it was like to have to be particular about their names. Psmith even had admiration for his elder. After all, as far as first names went, 'Wordsworth' was only an embarrassing indicator of class, whereas 'Filthy' just made you wonder about the parents.

The colt gave a leisurely bow as he completed his introductions. "[colour=#996699]No doubt this shall prove a finer evening for your presence, Comrade Rich. The hostess breathes a sigh of relief, saying, 'This evening shall be a success, for Mister Rich has come!'[/colour]" Not pausing to note the effect of his unorthodox conversational style upon the stallion, Psmith turned as Sweetie Belle addressed the hostess. Etiquette would dictate, in the case of uninvited guests, that said guest should await acknowledgment by the hostess before daring to address them. One look at Applejack, however, and Psmith was willing to bet his starched shirt and collar that she would not care a button for that.

Therefore, he stepped forward with a graceful bow, as if the country mare in front of him were a duchess at a ball. "[colour=#996699]Enchanted,[/colour]" He said, "[colour=#996699]To have finally met you at last. The rumors of your hospitality, and beauty, have winged their far ways to my doorstep, and I will faithfully attest that not a one of them exaggerated.[/colour]" The florid compliments were quite in the Canterlot style, though slightly old-fashioned, especially considering that the colt delivering them hadn't finished school yet. The onlooker might have seen something comic in the contrast.

[colour=#000000]Applejack came back out of the kitchen to help great the guests. Because of all the preparations, Applejack was wearing some of the food that she had prepared for the evening, including some salad leaves in her mane, and a couple chocolate smudges on her flank. She would pay them no mind though as Sweetie Belle would cutely address herself and say hi, but then withdraw herself to a more polite style. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Swarwhat now?"[/colour][colour=#000000] [/colour][colour=#ff0000]What language was that?[/colour][colour=#000000] And behind her was another adult pony. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]This really is a formal event for high society ponies, apparently.[/colour][colour=#000000] As the well-dressed colt address himself, Applejack rotated her head as she tried to wrap her mind around the things he was saying. He seemed every eager to meet her and said so in the most complicated verbal way possible. Applejack tossed her hoof behind her neck, scratched it, and then responded positively. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Uh, yeah! Um, you too!"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack returned to Rarity and whispered to her. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Ok, so what kinds of games do fancy ponies play? I know well enough they don't like gardening."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack chuckled as she recalled her visit to a party in Canterlot in which she mistook a party for celebrated labor. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Is there a fancy way to play pin the tail on the pony?"[/colour]

• 1 month later...
Sweetie Belle felt eager to join the party, and took Valen's hoof, supressing a little eager noise in order to keep her head high, her step cautious and delicate. "By all means, sir," she replied excitedly. "let us do as is normal for a fancy party!"

What did a pony do at a fancy party, anyway? Rarity's answers had mostly been ... unhelpful. Stuff like "network," and "build contacts" and stuff like that. But it was what she had. "We should network, I think," she suggested, trying not to let on that she had no idea what that even meant.

• 2 weeks later...

Bramble and I talked about bringing in Purple Haze and Sunrise Beach to this thread. In that regard, Bramble granted me permission to use his character in the opening dialog of this post to start their introduction.

It had been a warm spring evening at the Carrot family farm, home of one Carrot Fields, and his little sister, Purple Haze. By the silent rows of carrot plants ripening in the soil sat a couple bales of hay, and upon them laid two young fillies, relaxing in the sun's twilight, the aforementioned earth pony Purple Haze, and her 'bestie', a turquoise coated unicorn named Sunrise Beach, a ward of the town librarian.

Being the weekend and in a small town, the duo found themselves contemplating what rambunctious ponies of their age often do, what is there to do that's fun? Suddenly the dark green earth filly had an idea, "Oh, hey, theah's a party at Sweet Apple Acres tonight. Ye wanna hie on o'er an' hang out?"

Sunrise Beach's ears perked with a mix of curiosity and interest, "Like, yeah, why not?"

Purple leaped off of the large bale and looked back with smile to her friend, "Cool. Wear a bonnie frock, it's all blueblood er sommat."

"Blueblood? Y'mean, like, high class? At sweet apple acres? Like most curious."

"Aye, roit?"

For Sunrise Beach, having a 'bonnie frock' was actually a problem as she didn't actually own any dresses herself, neither ever needing one, nor could her mother, Martini paradise, ever was able to afford getting the filly one, at least one that was nice. Her only choice was to ask the kind librarian who gave her room and board at Golden Oak Library, Twilight Sparkle.

Unfortunately Twilight wasn't the mot fashionable mare and gave Sunrise a dress that was obviously lame to anypony except its owner. What could the young filly do though? It was freely offered, and there appeared to be no other option. So Sunrise donned the dark pink dress with it's frilled yellow sleeves and decorative wooden buttons down the front and sighed silently inside while smiling to the purple unicorn.

Laaaaame.

Still, she promised Purple she would go, so here Sunrise was, standing at the entrance to Sweet Apple Acres in most uncool of dresses, waiting for her best friend.

This party better be worth it.

v3gfue.jpg

Being a tad bit hungry, the first thing Filthy Rich did after entering the barn was head straight for the salad. Technically, that was the second thing he did; he made sure to give a brief nod of greeting to Applejack first. Since Mr. Rich arrived somewhat early, the stallion felt no need to exchange further verbal pleasantries at this time.

While Filthy busied himself with scooping up a salad plate, he couldn’t help but overhear Sweetie Belle say to that Valen kid that the two should ‘network’. The brown earth pony gave out a laugh out of amusement, for it was obvious to him that the little filly had no idea of what networking’s all about. In order to save Miss Belle further embarrassment however, Mr. Rich quickly silenced and focused back on making his salad.....

Smiling at his country hostess, Psmith pondered the question put to him. "I am not fully acquainted with all the variations of the game, though one gentlecolt of my acquaintance did attempt to introduce the game in one party, using an actual live pony. The proceedings were considerably enlivened, to be sure. There is, of course, the traditional croquet. I prefer Cricket, myself, but you need 22 to play."

It seemed, however, that the young filly, in whose honor the party was proceeding, had other ideas. Or rather, a word which she had no idea what it meant. It amused Psmith to hear her say it, and he took up the suggestion in a vein of humor. "Ah yes, not a bad suggestion, comrade Belle. The question is, however, shall we work on the fish nets, or the butterfly nets? I should suggest the latter; all the best Canterlot parties are full of social butterflies."

Whatever would come of this, he wanted in on it. For all his outward manners and mannerisms, he was a schoolcolt, and rejoiced in the prospect of exciting interruptions in the routine of life.

Purple Haze pranced happily down the lane the short distance to their neighbors at Sweet Apple Acres, the little green filly wearing a long green plaid skirt with orange threads through its tartan, and a simple white blouse. Her orange and purple hair was up in several small braids, wrapped around each other in a lovely design.

She carried with her a bottle of Sparkling Haze, which was her normal juice thinned out with sparkling water and with a bit of sugar added. It didn't have as strong a flavor, and she didn't like it as much, but the bubbles were fun and it sold much better to fancy folks! She's sold a whole twelve bottles already! The bits had gone to her college fund, except for one which had gone to Sugarcube Corner for sweets. :9

She brightened as she saw Sunrise standing there, then did a double take as she saw the outfit she was wearing...

Oh dear.

Um.

"Awrite, Sunrise!" careful, careful ... "guid eenin' an' hou's aw wi ye? Ah ... " Careful ... "Wot's th' skirt from, then? Dinna fash yerself, s'nae so bad. Jes dinnae... ah ... seem quite like ye!"

• 1 month later...

silver_spoon_sig_by_dignifiedjustice-d4bvfp1png_zps4ebbbae3.jpg

Silver Spoon had heard that there was a party going on at Sweet Apple Acres, and Celestia be crazy if there was going to be a high society party that she wasn't invited to. Silver steeped into the barn seeing the door was partially opened already. Sunrise had mentioned something about this party and she was pretty sure that Apple Bloom wouldn't mind her showing up to help enlighten her about how fancy parties and how a real high society filly should act around other high society fillies. This would be a lesson in style, etiquette, and and sheer 'less country-folk more city-folk.'

Silver spotted out Sunrise and was taken aback by how, unique? it was. "Oh my, this ought to be an interesting party for sure." Silver giggled softly as she slowly presented herself into the party scene. Her dress was rather simple, a sleek, form fitting, soft gray color that has thin light pink lines in it making her figure seem more sleek, slender, and elongated.

Sunrise Beach sighed, the dress was lame, really, really lame-o to the max. Her friend, Purple Haze was trying her best to be nice about it, but it was obvious to Sunrise that her BFF saw the dress the same way. "errr… Well, like you know that I am, like, staying at the Golden Oaks Library right? Well, like Twilight, er, Princess Twilight, heard I wanted to go to this party but I totally had nothing to wear. So she said I could wear her old dress… and well, like.. this is it!"

Sunrise rolled her eyes, "what could like, I do? Say no to the pony who is sponsoring my stay here? Plus she is, you know, like a princess and all." Sunrise gave a grumped, flat look at her earth pony friend, "its totally lame, we both know it, hopefully like, no one inside will make some huuuuuuge deal about it."

She was about to usher Purple about going inside when she spotted another filly coming up the path to the barn. Sunrise recognized her from school; Silver Spoon wash't it?

Sunrise never spoke to the silver maned earth filly before, only that she often saw the bespeckled pony with that pink pony that always wore the tiara on her head, and who had this reputation among the younger students as a bully and a snob. That didn't bode well given the ridiculously out of fashion red dress Sunrise was currently sporting, but perhaps by herelf Silver Spoon wouldn't cause a problem.

Sunrise waved in Silver Spoon's direction before nodding at Purple, "let's like, go inside at least and see what this is all about. maybe this party will be radical after all."

• 1 month later...

2ccsaxy.jpg

Filthy Rich didn't really wish to leave the barn social, but unfortunately, other personal pressing matters needed to be attended to. His wife came down with a sickness just a few hours ago; a mild illness, but enough for Mr. Rich to fret. He promised he'd check up on her at least once as the night went on, which the stallion planned to do after finishing his salad. Filthy would be back eventually, but not for possible anywhere from thirty minutes to a hour. Without making himself conspicuous, Filthy trotted outside and left the orchard, hoping his check-up wouldn't take too long.

-Exit Filthy Rich... for now at least. He may return if I feel like it-

And then, the children having returned, the party had to start. Rarity felt defeated. Not everything was quite prepared, and with Applejack's cluelessness, even fewer things were just right. She had wanted to give the perfect fancy party she had promised, but it hardly seemed like that was going to be possible at this point. Ah well, maybe the children wouldn't know the difference.

Applejack asked a question about what games were played by fancy ponies, but a certain colt answered her with a fairly accurate response. Looking at him, Rarity felt a pang of concern. So there would be ponies here able to discern how flimsy this party's claim to fanciness was. Rarity would just have to do her best to try and conduct damage control and hope nothing reflected on her poorly. On the upside, it was happening on a farm; what could the ponies here have reasonably expected from a pony that made claims at fanciness but took place in a barn?

From here on, her task would be to just act as a chaperone, make sure nothing got out of hoof. Before that, she supposed she'd offer some words to the guests of honor. Approaching her sister and Valen she offered a smile.

"You two really do look just perfectly adorable together!" she started excitedly. "That dress suits you so well, Sweetie. I do hope you and Valen have a fun time," she added with a warm smile.

"Don't be afraid to come look for me if you two need something!" she chimed as she started toward the back.

((ooc: sorry for the greatly delayed response. really had trouble deciding how I wanted to proceed. from here on out, Rarity's role will be more minor. I'll try to keep her somewhat involved if I can, but there's no need to wait on her anymore.))

Archived