...Am I the only one who didn't like this episode?

What didn't you like about this episode? While I didn't find this episode as enjoyable as the last few, I do think it does a very good job of displaying Rainbow Dash's character. Certainly a better RD portrayal by Merriweather than his last attempt with "Mare-Do-Well".

hi hi

Well, there are some things I didn't like about the episode, like how some of the participants in the flight school didn't seem like they would make it from the very beginning, and the whole "new record," thing that kept happening. (how easy is it to break an academy record anyway?) But I guess those were just minor things for me. I suspect people who aren't into competition as much wont relate as well to the episode.

Anything in particular you didn't like?

"You can be my wingpony anytime, Rainbow Dash."

"Horsefeathers. You can be mine."

Dun dun dun dun dun HIIIIGHWAAAAY TOOOOO THA DANGA ZONE! DAHDUN DUNDUNDUNDUN

Now that that obligatory reference is out of the way, I loved the episode. And did Pinkie's overbearingness remind anyone else of The Incredibly Dense Mind of Rainbow Dash? No? K. Definitely want to app Thunder Dust.

One of the other great parts of this episode is that while Rainbow was incensed that she wasn't chosen as the leader, she submitted to the authority given to Lightning until Lighting proved she was unworthy of that authority. It would have been painful to see her be a bad follower, since you cannot be a good leader, without first understanding how to be led.

I completely agree. I was recently put in a position if leadership with no prior experience with leading, but I had been watching my previous supervisors, and learned two things, just like I believe RD did. 1: How to be an effective leader. 2: How not to treat those that you're appointed over. And apparently, word in the division is that I'm a good leader. Who knew?

And to everyone who is complaining about Spitfire becoming a jerk, I have two words for you. Military Training. Seriously. Look at the uniform.

it had a simple charm that I wouldn't have expected coming from Williams. Perhaps they learned their lesson after the disaster that was MMDW? The animators and storyboarders did a phenomenal job with the action sequences. And not just making the cool tricks look cool, but making the action scenes mesh in with the story. I never felt like a scene was dragging on too long or was cut too short.

I almost mentioned that the pacing seemed perfect, but I didn't want to detract from how much I enjoyed the leadership/teamwork dynamics. Very well said.

I think the funniest moment was definitely at the very beginning, when Rainbow Dash trolls everyone by saying she didn't get in. :D

I didn't find it funny, because I have been curious since season one as to how she would react if her dreams were dashed. So there was actually a small bit of disappointment there. My vote for funniest moment was the mail boxes view of pinkie's face. I thought it was a time lapse, showing day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. The sudden realization that it was just as fast as we were actually seeing it made me burst out laughing.

Well, there are some things I didn't like about the episode, like how some of the participants in the flight school didn't seem like they would make it from the very beginning, and the whole "new record," thing that kept happening.

Yes, they could have tightened up the episode by having all the fliers be strong. In fact, it would have made Rainbow and Lightning look even cooler if they were the best of a GOOD class.

And to everyone who is complaining about Spitfire becoming a jerk, I have two words for you. Military Training. Seriously. Look at the uniform.

The wonderbolts are in a very interesting position, and this episode showcased the flip side very well.

One one hand, they are celebrities, and have to be warm and caring towards fans.

On the other side, they are a precision team that has to be exactly on their game, and it makes sense that they emulate the blue angels in their training as well.

...Am I the only one who didn't like this episode?

It certainly feels that way. :-|

There is nothing wrong with that. I don't really want least common denominator episodes. If you have an opinion, stand by it. It isn't really necessary to explain yourself. It is ok to just not like it. But if you can explain, please do.

I'll admit; I really thought the Wonderbolt service uniforms were quite snazzy. Now I just wonder what Equestria's actual military uniforms would look like (assuming Royal Guards don't wear armor all the time).....

post-4332-0-50546000-1355602656_thumb.pn

*whistles innocently* :razz:

has anyone here ever seen the film Full Metal Jacket?... that ware film in Vietnam ?

well thats who spitfire reminded me off, overall a good episode but deffo not as good as last week scootaloo one, dont get me wrong, my body was ready for an RD ep. but so much more could have gone into it.

hi hi

Military training? I dunno about that. I thought the Wonderbolt's uniforms looked kind of reminiscent of this.

6013355636_ea315e800c.jpg

and that Spitfire's outfit looked kind of like a commercial pilot's uniform:

DAL_Uniform.jpg

At any rate, the Wonderbolt Academy reminded me heavily of football camp, either at the college or professional level, especially all the drills they did.

Also, drill sergeants aren't the only people who yell a lot.

coach-yelling.jpg

coach%252Bmike-d%252Byelling.jpg

yelling.jpg

Whew! After having to avoid the leaked copies of the episode and spoilers for a few days, I finally got the chance to catch the episode live early this morning. (again 2:00am)

Overall, this episode was a bit of a OK one for me, but it isn't considered one of my favourite episodes of the season so far. Although it lived up to the hype, there were a few things that got me a bit offside about the episode itself, mainly Spitfire's laid back personality from the last two seasons undergoing a major overhaul with the new voice and military officer style.

I wrote a few tweets during the episode, but this one sums up how I felt about the change:

"What the? What in the name of Celestia happened to Spitfire?! Drill sarge? Where’s is her personality?!"

Apart from that, the side story of Pinkie waiting at the mailbox was pretty well done and added a bit of humour to the episode.

hi hi

People do not act the same at all times, in all situations. Spitfire seems like she has different roles that she needs to play. I don't know if it makes sense to expect a police officer to act the same when they are at a holiday party as they would when they're on duty. I wouldn't expect my boss to sit in a room by herself and occasionally bark orders at people when she is just hanging out with her friends, and when I'm on assignment, I keep my opinions to myself.

If they had her acting like a jerk while she was off duty, then I might be a little bit concerned, but in this episode, she's got a job to do.

hi hi

Military training? I dunno about that. I thought the Wonderbolt's uniforms looked kind of reminiscent of this.

6013355636_ea315e800c.jpg

and that Spitfire's outfit looked kind of like a commercial pilot's uniform:

DAL_Uniform.jpg

It's possible that the they got the idea for that uniform by crossing military dress and commercial pilot attire. I mean I don't think commercial pilots get shoulder decorations.

All in all, the outfit is definitely one of my favorite things that I've seen a pony wear.

Oh man, I cannot even relate Spitfire to the full metal jacket drill instructor. There is too big a gulf there.

Maybe the "tamer" drill instructor in "Annapolis" since he obviously cared for the cadets (what do you call them in the navy?) and it was so obviously an act.

Oh man, I cannot even relate Spitfire to the full metal jacket drill instructor. There is too big a gulf there.

Maybe the "tamer" drill instructor in "Annapolis" since he obviously cared for the cadets (what do you call them in the navy?) and it was so obviously an act.

Yeah, I can't see her popping somepony's eye out and going all rated R from there.

I don't think Spitfire changed personalities. I think she just acts different when she's off-duty. A lot of real drill sergeants are like that. You NEED to act like that in situations like hers.

And Thoth, don't feel bad. Every episode seems to have some brony out there who is "the only guy who hates this episode." (for example, I seem to be the only person willing to criticize "The Return of Harmony" and "One Bad Apple.")

Hello.

While not as good as last week's episode, in my opinion, I did rather enjoy this one.

Spitfire's personality overall was logical given that she was "on the clock". She wasn't there to be their friends, she was there to push them as far as she could and seperate Wonderbolt material from the ones who weren't going to make it. She can be their friend when it isn't her job to cut out the weak and the unfit. Or that's my take on it at least.

Rainbow Dash really shined in this episode... I was worried from the get go that she'd be the arrogant one who needed to be taught about teamwork, and I continued to think that as she complained about being a Wingpony. However she really impressed me throughout the episode, following Lightning as was her job to do, until the very end when she really endangered people, especially her friends... And indeed... I love Fluttershy, however she kind of earned that look from the Wonderbolt trainee... also a lucky stallion who got Rarity's hug...

And Rainbow Dash's willingness to quit the Wonderbolts if they were willing to put other ponies in danger... and the look she got on her face as she exited, realizing what she'd just done, were both super awesome to me... Of course Spitfire's response and rightful "How dare you storm out of my office without giving me a chance to respond!" were awesome as well. I expected nothing less of her, once she got the whole story, I imagine, from her aiding officers.

And Rainbow Dash gets to continue Wonderbolt Training! I wonder if it will ever come up again in future episodes... I rather hope it does, feels like the sort of thing they shouldn't just leave hanging. Oh! And Pinkie Pie, I found her hilarious... so worried the poor dear... So anxious and nervous... I can actually kind of relate to that. It's way irrational, however it happens... and the moments she hugged Dash, both first and second, were awesome... and I actually don't ship Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie... I just thought that the hugs really suited Pinkie. And that's about it. I really rather liked the episode and thought it showed an excellent side of Rainbow Dash. Very well done.

Looking forward to watching it tomorrow with everypony. :)

I actually watched it a bit late myself. I liked this episode, mainly because once again Dashie proves her head isn't always in the clouds.

On a different note, Mane, I LOVE that avatar :D

So watched the episode, and I liked it, despite it not being my favorite.

Lightning Dust was an actually interesting antagonist, at least to me, because she wasn't going out of her way to be a bully but rather she just wanted to be the best (other people's expense merely overlapped with this), and she also didn't play directly against Rainbow Dash, because it seemed like she did have respect for RD's talent as a flier. She may have been a jerk to the others, and she may have tried to get RD to be a jerk to the others, but she wasn't intentionally a jerk to Dash until she was confronted on her behavior.

I do suppose that makes two of RD's 'friends' kind of mean, the first being Gilda. Guess she just attracts the wrong crowd.

Also, this may have been the only episode in which I didn't mind seeing Derpy, mainly because I have a hard time seeing her want to go to the Wonderbolt's academy, and it certainly makes sense that she didn't get in.

And I had a good laugh at Snowflake chomping the cloud out of existence. Overly-manly Pony YEAH!

As much as Rainbow Dash's episodes last season seem to bring her worst traits in the spot light I feel like they are the difference between her and Lightning Dust.

I think if Rainbow Dash from the first season never got humbled and learned those lessons she may have ended up like Lighting Dust, willing to put everything else behind her for her goal.

Lightning Dust is a good character as she shows how Rainbow Dash could have been.

Lightning Dust was an actually interesting antagonist, at least to me, because she wasn't going out of her way to be a bully but rather she just wanted to be the best (other people's expense merely overlapped with this), and she also didn't play directly against Rainbow Dash, because it seemed like she did have respect for RD's talent as a flier.

I had noticed that once they were teamed up, they didn't compete against each other. But before that, there was a race too close to call, and a solo competition that can't be compared because Lightning was slower for a harder challenge. I think if they had ever definitively proven that upon technique alone, one was better it would have hurt the episode.

Everything was awesome in this. Spitfire did go through a personality switch, but I actually liked her new one.

I like how the Wonderbolts actually had an academy, and wasn't just a club you could join by doing a favour. That's the impression I got in the first season.

On another note, I actually am starting to like RD more. I always found her my least favorite...but these latest two episodes have been pretty good. :)