[Appleloosa] Long Time No See (closed rp currently)

WillowWisp

[colour=#0099ff]'Dear Braeburn,[/colour]

[colour=#0099ff]I have the most amazing news! My report I submitted about our adventure in the desert got the attention of some researchers in Canterlot. I've been invited to join an expedition to some ruins in the far reaches of Equestria. I'll even get to submit a formal report to the Princess upon our return! Though I don't know how long I will be gone; but I'm sure it'll be an amazing trip. I'll have to write and tell you about the things I do. I hope you're doing well and that we can meet up again sometime soon.[/colour]

[colour=#0099ff]Good luck during the growing season,[/colour]

[colour=#0099ff]Willow Wisp'[/colour]

How many months had it been since she sent that letter? Honestly the Unicorn couldn't remember. Her adventure led her out into the wilds, and for far longer than she could have imagined. Sure it was a great experience, but it also left her far from any civilization... and that meant, no way to contact her friends. It actually made her feel rather guilty, sure that some of them were worried about her, or perhaps thought she had forgotten about them.

Willow Wisp had only been back in the civiliized world for about a week. She stood at the Canterlot train station, finally getting ready to head home. She had plenty to work on, reports to write up and stories to sort, and letters to write. But as the train pulled into the station she hesitated. The Unicorn thought back to the letter she sent out before she left; one to a stallion she had had one amazing adventure with. And had it not been for that, she wouldn't have had the opertunity she did. They'd become pretty good friends and perhaps... well the last they met... she was left wondering if possibly there was more there.

And that's how she ended up on a train heading into the desert rather than back home to Ponyville. It was a long ride, and one she spent most the time asleep, but once it rolled into the Appleloosa station, Wisp was up and ready to seek out the pony on her mind.

Or she was; as soon as she stepped on the platform she hesitated. A black Unicorn stuck out like a sore hoof in a place like Appleloosa. And she looked a little disheveled, having slept on the train and still carrying her saddle bags from her trip. She was pretty sure she looked tired and maybe a bit lost. After all, who'd remember her? She was just a member of a rag-tag party that solved a haunted train mystery... many months ago.

Guilt crept up on her again as she slowly made her way from the station into the town. It was a nice bright day, the sun making her coat heat up quickly. Great, now she'd looked worn out and be all sweaty. She wondered if Braeburn would even be happy to see her, or if he'd be upset she hadn't written in all that time. What if he had found himself a nice mare and was dating and she was just going to appear and make it awkward?

Wisp wrinkled up her nose at that thought. Why did that even pop into her head? Shaking it off she finally made it to his home, or at least where she thought she remembered it being. With a nervous wiggle of her muzzle she reached out and knocked a hoof on the door.

[colour=#0099ff]"Anypony...home?"[/colour]

• Like 2

Braeburn was having an extremely busy week; for it was the secondary harvest. Like many of the apple farms and farmsteads of various other kinds, Braeburn grew a relatively small variety of other crops in addition to the primary produce; in this case particular instance it was the oats that needed reaping. Almost every farm in existence had at least one patch of this staple. Braeburn didn’t really care for these cereal grains, but they were easy to grow and excellent as emergency provisions, either for travel or for those long harsh winters; especially when uncontrolled storms came through from the lands beyond the pegasai’s control.

He wasn’t alone; little Apple Pie was out there in the fields with him, but she was so work focused that she didn’t converse much at all, even when he actively tried to engage her in conversations about any little thing, which was often. Her reticent demeanor and singular focus at whatever chore was at hand often only help remind the goldenrod stallion how lonely he was; not that he didn’t love his little cousin, but it would be sure nice to have some personal companionship of a more amorous nature.

As Braeburn approached the house and storage shed, pulling a wagon full of bags of raw oats and a bit ragged and dirty from the day’s harvest, his thoughts indeed did recall his less than stellar record of meeting some pony he would fancy, and fancy him back. Sure there were a few that almost came to be- Caramel Bistro, Bluebell, even Honeysuckle. Why there was even that cute, charmingly spooky unicorn he went on an adventure with! It seemed she just disappeared like the ghosts that she studied.

[colour=#daa520]Now don’t ya’ll get those lonely feelins’ in yer mind Braeburn[/colour], [colour=#daa520]there be plenty of fine single ponies out thar[/colour]. He just needed to finish storing today’s harvest, and then he could get some social time down at the ol’ Salt Lick, that always lifted his spirits!

Braeburn’s ears perked up when he heard a knock at the front door of the house. [colour=#daa520] “Now who could that be?”[/colour] He quickly unhooked himself from the wagon and trotted along the side of his home toward the front, hoping to Celestia that his currently unkempt mane wasn’t too much of a fright.

Braeburn quickly turned the corner,[colour=#daa520] “well howdy thar what can I do you… “[/colour] Braeburn stepped back ; his eyes widened in shocked surprise before a grin quickly overtook his muzzle. [colour=#daa520]“Willo Wisp? Is that, is that you? Well ahh be! It is!”[/colour]

If he was worried about looking a little messy from working all day, he'd soon learn that didn't matter. Then again Wisp looked tired and her mane was a bit messy as well, but that was due to her sleeping on the train, and the sweat the desert sun brought with it didn't help. She turned hearing Braeburn's voice, smiling as she spotted him with her somewhat tired eyes.

[colour=#0099ff]"Ah, there is a sight for these sore eyes,"[/colour] she chuckled lightly. [colour=#0099ff]"You're the first really familiar pony I've seen in a long time."[/colour] Willow Wisp trotted over to meet him smiling and doing her best not to just let out a loud yawn.[colour=#0099ff] "It's been so long. I don't even remember exactly when I sent that last letter. But as I stood on that platform in Canterlot waiting for the short train back into Ponyville... well, I saw this one and before I knew it was curled up in my seat heading west."[/colour]

Her smile faded at that point and she hung her head a little sheepishly. The Stallion didn't seem like he was upset with her, even if she had basically vanished in a sense, but she still felt bad. Sure the experience was the chance of a life time but she didn't know it was going to last as long as it had. She felt like she just sort of bucked all her friends and those she cared about to a proverbial curb.

[colour=#0099ff]"I'm sorry I wasn't able to write. We really were out in the middle of no ponies land. But, you look like you're doing well. Be working hard?"[/colour] She looked up again with a small smile. [colour=#0099ff]"I uh... I brought you something for your farm."[/colour]

Braeburn smiled, and even blushed a little at Willowisp's complement, it really had been a long time since he seen her and her kind words served to remind him of that time together in the caves, especially those more awkward moments.

The goldenrod stallion took off his Stetson and held it to his chest, his unkempt mane blowing wildly in the warm steppe wind. [colour=#daa520]"Ah received it six months, two weeks and three… Umm, ah mean its been ah while."[/colour] Braeburn rubbed the back of his mane with his hoof, [colour=#daa520]"so, uh its good to see ya back in good ol' APPPLELOOSAAA!"[/colour]

It didn't take a genius to realize the black unicorn was feeling a bit nonplussed and concerned about being gone for so long. Braeburn wasn't upset, but he was pretty curious what had all happened top her over these last few months. [colour=#daa520]“Ya’ll got a gift for the farm?! Well golly, that’s a mighty sweet of ya! Say! Why don’t cha come on in and you can show me what it is and tell all about what ya’ll been up to! I'd be mighty curious!”[/colour] With that Braeburn quickly placed his Stetson back on and pushed Willowisp's side side with his head, moving the unicorn mare right through the open door of his house all the way to his living room before stopping.

[colour=#daa520]“Settle in, and I’ll get ya some grub, mah cousin makes some of the best pies in APPPPLELOOSA and we still have plenty!”[/colour] Brabeurn walked over to the open kitchen to grab one of the honey glazed pies and quickly returned smiling. “[colour=#daa520]As for lil’ ol’ me, well been doing much the same ah’m afraid… Oh! I did visit your town again for another reunion… Wish I could of brought ya along.” [/colour]Braeburn looked a little forlorn for a few second, but quickly shook it off, he didn’t want her to feel guilty. He placed a slice of the pie before her and sat down across the coffee table grinning broadly, [colour=#daa520]“so now, let’s hear all about ya’ll exciting adventures!”[/colour]

Willow Wisp looked a little dumbstruck as he actually started to list off how long it had been since her letter arrived. But the expression dissolved into a smile as he cut himself short. She honestly had to chuckle a little under her breath. However before she knew it, she was getting pushed along into him home, and really she wasn't going to put up fight.

[colour=#0099ff]“Ah, talk about using your head there,”[/colour] she laughed once they stopped in the living room. [colour=#0099ff]“And thank you, I am a bit hungry. I'm pretty sure I missed the meal cart on the train.”[/colour] And it was that comment she remembered she'd been sleeping in a seat and so she reached up trying to brush out her mane a little in case it was sticking out all over.

Once he had joined her, the Unicorn took a moment to reach into her saddle bag, setting a little pouch on the table. [colour=#0099ff]“A family reunion huh? I bet that was some party. I'm sure I've missed a lot back in Ponyville while I was gone. I'll have to do a lot of catching up once I get back.” [/colour]She had to blush that he mentioned wanting to take her to his family reunion.

After taking a moment to enjoy a bite of her pie she turned her attention back to the little pouch she got out. [colour=#0099ff]“Those came from the area we were exploring. These ruins... they were just amazing! We came to the conclusion some early Unicorns must have been the dwellers and perhaps had magic that has been lost to the current world. For instance, in that pouch there are some apple seeds. They're black like any other seed but they grow these bizarre trees. In fact they look like something that should be outside my “haunted” house.”[/colour] she paused to laugh. [colour=#0099ff]“And the apples... they're black, with this deep blue flesh on the inside. They're a bit of a tart type, but made delicious meals when we tested cooking with them. The botanist in the group dubbed them 'Black Magic' apples.”[/colour]

She glanced off a little sheepishly.[colour=#0099ff] “I... I thought you'd like having something unique for your orchard. And this best part... the magic part. These things grow like weeds. When we planted them to see how long it took for them to just crack and sprout, we had saplings within two weeks! And after two months they bared their first fruit. It would be great to see how they grow out here.”[/colour]

She became quiet so she could eat a bit more. Eventually, after she finished off the slice she spoke again. [colour=#0099ff]“This whole trip... you know I know the chance to even go to our adventure here in the desert. It was my report I submitted about it that got the attention of the research team. Sure would have been fun to have you along on this trip.”[/colour]

Braeburn looked shocked, the very concept of not being fed on the train, it was barbaric! There is nothing like a good meal; after all what is better than eating? Well maybe sleeping, or Wild West dances; but if there is one great thing Apples have a love for, it is food! [colour=#daa520]"Well take as much pie as you like! It has a honey glazed crust, and the honey's fresh too! We'll have an apiary here in APPPPPPLEELOOSA now! Can y'all believe it? Our town is really growin'!"[/colour]

[colour=#daa520]"As for our last reunion, 'tis were a big one! Not the biggest, but plenty of Apples showed up from all over, boy howdy. Oh! Would you believe we have pegasus and unicorn Apples?! Tis' true! Met a pegasus cuzin' named Sugar Apple and a unicorn cuzin' named Greenshot! Just goes to show, y'all don't need to be a good ol' earth pony to be a part of our family!"[/colour] Braeburn gave a playful wink with that last statement.

As much as he liked flirting what really piked his interest was Willow's story about where she had been. Before he met the mysterious black unicorn mare he never thought he would ever have an interest in the magical, or the mysterious, let alone the spooky, but he had to admit, that adventure with the Spirit Lanterns was the most fun he had in a very long time, and it only made him more curious about what other supernatural mysteries were out there. He listened intently but couldn’t help looking perplexed at the mention of black skinned apples that were blue on the inside; could such a thing even exist naturally?

There they were though in front of him, well the seeds at least. [colour=#daa520] "Ah gotta admit ah never heard of such thing in all my years, never have I heard from all the stories told around the Apple family gatherings about black skinned blue apples!"[/colour] Braeburn pulled open the pouch and looked with reserved curiosity at the seeds, they looked like any other. He wasn’t sure about them at all, but what he was sure of is that he didn’t want to insult her by not accepting them, [colour=#daa520]"well ah guess they can't be any more mysterious than zap apples, right?"[/colour] She did say the researchers tried them and they were safe and even good tasting. [colour=#daa520]“Ah suppose we can try planting one later on the edge of the farm, just to see how it goes.”[/colour]

Braeburn was proud their adventure together helped Willow’s career, but his mind quickly wandered to what that meant in the long term. Braeburn rubbed the back of his mane again with his hoof, [colour=#daa520]“soo uhh.. Does that mean y’all will be doing ‘em long term trips all the time now?”[/colour]

[colour=#0099ff]“I'll admit, there is nothing like a good homemade dessert. And this pie is really good. After living on food we could over a campfire, anything fresh from the oven is like a gift from Celestia herself.”[/colour] Willow had to laugh at that. [colour=#0099ff]“But wow! Sure sounds like this town is doing well. I'm glad. I may have a little trouble with the heat but I like it here. It's got a nice homey feel. A lot like where I grew up.”[/colour]

She listened as he talked about his family get together, glancing off at the wink as he mentioned Unicorns and Pegasus in the Apple Family. [colour=#0099ff]“I suppose magic using Apples and flying Apples probably can make some farm chores easier. Imagine being able to fly up to those top branches to get harvests, or maybe having a little plant magic to help keep trees growing strong. Still it's impressive to see things down the Earth pony way. Hard work and problem solving; classic ingenuity.”[/colour]

Wisp laughed lightly, musing a little about her own family. [colour=#0099ff]“I come from a family of mostly Earth ponies.... well to my knowledge. Dad is a Unicorn like me. He came from Canterlot but while visiting my home town, and meeting my mum, he never went back. But he was able to continue his archeology from there, even made trips easier because he wasn't so far from the wilderness. Though it is a little funny to see him in the middle of a farm town, me as well, we kind of stick out.”[/colour] She shook her head. [colour=#0099ff]“Between mum's green house of rare plants, my Aunt's herb and medicinal herb farm... and then my foalhood friend, Dandy's flower nursery, not to mention all the other farms, me and Dad are odd ponies out.”[/colour]

As the topic changed to her gift she nodded with a smile. [colour=#0099ff]“They were pretty strange looking. But that's why they were so interesting. Who knows, an ancient tribe of ponies could have lived off them as a main source of food. And they've been hidden for all this time. If it were possible to get them going again, it would be like bringing a piece of history back to life!”[/colour] Though she did understand the hesitance in planting a weird tree; so she wasn't going to push and prod for it. She just hoped that if they could plant one, that it would grow. [colour=#0099ff]“I can try and help, but... usually if I touch things that are growing they end up growing pretty weird. Then again they already kind of looked like haunted trees to start with, so perhaps it would work in reverse and we'd get a normal tree instead.”[/colour]

Willow Wisp let out a sigh and closed her eyes for a moment. It sure was nice to be back in civilization, as well as the company of somepony she really enjoyed. So when Braeburn asked about her future and what kind of trips she might take, she just shook her head.

[colour=#0099ff]“I'm pretty sure that will be one time I go away like that. Usually trips I take maybe last two weeks, tops. And they're pretty spaced a part. This was just a rare case. And really I don't think I could handle trips like that over and over. Makes you homesick for sure. And I don't like leaving everypony behind. I much rather just do my own studies, submit reports and maybe every once and awhile go give a lecture if I'm asked to.”[/colour] She smiled.[colour=#0099ff] “Plus I'd rather go on adventures with friends instead of random researchers. So I'm happy to stay put.”[/colour]

Braebrun beamed with pride and joy, if there is one surefire way to get to an Apple’s heart, it is by complimenting their cooking. [colour=#daa520] “Ah’m glad you love the pie. Ah can’t take credit for makin’ it all mahself, my little cousin Apple Pie did most of the work, and the crust came from ah friendly pony called Honeysuckle, that’s the apiarist ah mentioned earlier. Oh I do have more if ya’ll wanna take some back with y’all to Ponyville!”[/colour]

Braeburn chuckled as Willow Wisp complimented on how the earth ponies of the family do so well, but it just came natural to them. [colour=#daa520]“Taking care of animals and making things grow, that’s our earth pony specialty; our own brands of magic ah guess y’all could say. Sure it isn’t outward or thru dem spells, but through innate understandin’ of the earth and all living things. It’s similar to have th’ pegasai can just control the weather as if it’s all second nature to ‘em.”[/colour]

Braeburn closed the bag of seeds and smiled, [colour=#daa520]“still ah wouldn’t think it hurt if y’all did try some of yer unicorn magic on the seed, we can do that once y’all are finished with the pie.” [/colour] He had no idea how Willow’s unicorn magic would affect the seed, yet again he had no idea what would happen in general once it was planted. At least there was an open space at the edge of the farm with nothing but short steppe grass; they could plant it there, a safe distance from anything else. Who knows it could be a whole new tasty brand of apple that be a best selling treat, and his farm would be the only supplier!

Just as interesting to Braeburn was the fact the pretty unicorn mare mentioned that most of her family were of earth pony stock. [colour=#daa520]“Sounds like you come from a family of florists and herbalists! Ah wonder if any of them live here in good ol’ APPPPPLLOOSA! We do have a few gardener types around! I hope y’all don’t mine me asking though, what all got you into ghosts and the supernatural? Did it all have to do with yer father’s specialty?”[/colour]

[colour=#0099ff]“I'm not sure if any of my family is out this way. It's possible. mum's side is much larger than Dads,”[/colour] Wisp mused on that for a moment before going to get another slice of pie. After all it was really good, and she wasn't about to pass up a chance to enjoy a homemade dessert.

[colour=#0099ff]“What got me into my studies?”[/colour] Sitting back down she thought for a moment and then nodded.[colour=#0099ff] “Sort of. Though I'm pretty sure I was destine for the odd and unusual. I was born at night, glowing like I do. Dad said I looked just like a Will-o-Wisp and then mum said that would make a perfect name, Willow Wisp.”[/colour] The Unicorn laughed lightly, [colour=#0099ff]“he said he'd seen them in some of his explorations. Or at least that's the story I've been told.”[/colour]

Pausing to enjoy some of her pie, she thought back to when she was just little foal. She remembered sitting next to her father as he worked on writing his reports, and looking through his journals.[colour=#0099ff] “Dad had a lot of books and journals about weird things, monsters, unsolved stories... I loved to look through them. Being an archeologist meant he needed to know a lot about myth and legend. So instead of the normal fairytale bedtime stories, I always wanted to those instead. And I started to wonder just how many of those so called myths really were more than just a story.”[/colour]

Wisp closed her eyes for a moment, feeling a bit nostalgic talking about her younger years. She smiled and shook her head. [colour=#0099ff]“That's how I got my nickname at school, Weirdo Wisp. Because I was always looking up strange things, or had books on ghosts and monsters. A real little bookworm with big old oversized glasses to boot. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get to the level my Dad is, he's a professor in his field. But at the same time I enjoy just being able to go and see what I can find. And if I can help other ponies understand it, then all the better.”[/colour]

As she finished off her second piece of pie, she let out a stifled yawn. It had been a long trip, and sleeping in a train seat wasn't the most restful. But she wasn't about to just doze off. Smiling at Braeburn she spoke again, [colour=#0099ff]“So let's see about the seed huh? I can't remember the last time I did any garden work... been awhile since I use to water mum's plants.”[/colour]

Braeburn chucked as the listened to Willow Wisp’s backstory; he had completely forgotten about the errie blue glow that the black unicorn mare emitted in the dark. He always figured it was something that came to be when she entered fillyhood as an aspect of her blossoming unicorn magic, it had never occurred to Braeburn that a pony would be born with a magic aura! Her parents seemed to have taken it well; maybe such things weren’t that unusual with unicorns?

[colour=#daa520]“Ah have to admit, when ah first saw your glow, ah was a bit… uhh, surprised.” [/colour] Truth was he was scared, he hadn’t known that it was Willow at first, and managed to trip all over himself in fright. Not his best moment. Braeburn again rubbed the back of his mane nervously.[colour=#daa520] “Ah admit, at first ah wasn’t sure what to all make of it, but once I got used to y’all glowing, I found it quite fetchin’…”[/colour]

Brabeurn blushed, that no doubt sounded awkward and dorky, and what kind of compliment was it to a mare that the magic they can’t control glow is ‘fetchin’”?! [colour=#daa520] “Well ummm… anyway, that’s pretty dog gone interestin’ tale, and ah’ll bet there aint much knowledge of all them supernatural stuff, so y’all probably got an exciting job discovering all sorts of new thangs, or um, old thangs! Shall we’ll go plant them there seeds now?” [/colour] It was as good as time as any given how much Braeburn flet he was flubbing his compliments to the pretty mare.

With the bag of seeds in his mouth, Braeburn trotted out to the far edge of his homestead, an isolated area that was bereft of apple trees. The area was nothing but an open field of short grass with a small creek than ran nearby which marked the boundary of the goldenrod stallion’s land. “[colour=#daa520]This looks like ah good spot, ah figure this way it be safe no matter what happened.” [/colour] With that scraped the ground with his forehoof and carefully dropped one of the seeds into the scarp before covering it back up with the soil. [colour=#daa520]“Shall we water first or y’all want to try magic first?”[/colour]

If she could glow in the day time, Willow Wisp would have been at that moment with the blush that crossed her face. Fetching? She always did get embarrassed by compliments, and this one was coming from a Stallion she rather liked. She couldn't help glancing off for just a moment trying to not look too flustered.

[colour=#0099ff]“It usually catches others off guard at first. Especially if they only see that and not me... which happens sometimes in dark places. I've gotten use to accidentally scaring ponies, but most of the time once I apologize it's no big deal. Now and then there are the ones who just find me too creepy to be around.”[/colour]

She laughed lightly at his remark about her job. She did find it exciting and she loved talking about what she knew. So it was always a plus in her mind when others actually seemed interested in what she did.[colour=#0099ff] “New, old things... sounds about right,”[/colour] she chuckled.[colour=#0099ff] “It's kind of like a treasure hunt. You never know if you're going to strike it rich, or just find some old lost junk. But either way the adventure is exciting and there's always something to learn.”[/colour]

Braeburn seemed a little flustered as he changed the topic to the seeds. It actually made her feel a little less embarrassed herself. If they were both feeling a little goofy around one another then it made it easier to relax and not fret over saying the wrong thing.

She followed him out to the spot where he wanted to plant the seeds, enjoying the scenery along the way. [colour=#0066ff]“This really is a nice farm you got out here. Truly impressive since it's in the desert. Almost like stumbling on to an oasis.”[/colour]

Willow Wisp looked to the newly planted seed and nodded. [colour=#0099ff]“Well I'm not sure I inherited my mum's green hoof, but I can give it a go... What's the worst that could happen?”[/colour] She wrinkled up her nose a little concentrating on the spot. For just a moment her horn emitted a blue glow which was echoed by the freshly planted seed. It really didn't seem like anything was going to happen, but as the hue faded a way, a very tiny green sprout popped up. [colour=#0099ff]“Well look at that! I actually made it pop!”[/colour]

Braeburn smiled with pride. Any praise for the farm made his heart swell; it was a labor of love after all, a monument to the can-do mentality of hard working farmer folks in general and the Apple family in particular. This was the first time he heard to it described like an oasis; he liked that comparison. [colour=#daa520]“Aww thanks Miss Willow. Truth is, it’s ah done through hard work, grit, and determination; thar is no secret or anything to how w’all did this. We just wanted to make ah new home for ourselves. Believe it or not though, this area isn’t ah true desert, it’s more of ah steppe. Just w’all have to be extra careful since w’all have to depend on natural weathers for rain out here.”[/colour]

It was true, because of the fact Applelossa was so far out on the frontier, pegasai didn’t regularly control the weather like they did in most of Equestria, which explained the harsher climate. In the Pinto, ponies had to rely on the occasional natural storm and the water underground, and hope prankster griffins didn’t cause too much of a weather fuss, although that was rare.

The goldenrod stallion picked up a watering can as he watched Willow Wisp use her magic on the seedling, curious to see what effect it would have on the mysterious kernel. She said something about how her magic had a weird effect but when the seeding appeared, it looked completely normal; it was even green, he figured it would be black from what she said before. “[colour=#daa520]Hey!! That’s darn tooting! Maybe y’all have your dam’s talent w’th plants also! A regular mistress of magic!”[/colour]

Braeburn brought forward the watering can, determined to do his part to start their first tree together. He sprinkled some of the fresh water on the tiny plant. Before he could react though, the seedling suddenly turned a much darker shade and shot upward as a young tree, knocking Braeburn back. The goldenrod stallion fell flat on his back, the watering can landing right on his noggin, knocking him silly.

[colour=#0099ff]“I'd imagine sometimes hoping and waiting on those natural storms can be a bit nerve wracking though. Especially during the crucial parts of the growing seasons.”[/colour]

Wisp didn't know a lot about agriculture, but she knew enough to know that there were periods where making sure the plants got the right water, nutrients and care were very important to what they would yield during harvest. Since most of her mother's plants had to be in greenhouses to keep certain climates though, it wasn't a big concern around her foalhood home. However the other farms in her town greatly depended on nature, whether the Pegasi were involved or not.

She felt a small swelling of pride as Braeburn praised her magic when the little tree sprouted. And of course there was a bit of a blush as well. [colour=#0099ff]“Mistress of magic? No... it was just lucky,”[/colour] she chuckled lightly. [colour=#0099ff]“But I'm happy it's growing. That means every time I get to come see it, it'll be really special. Not because it's rare, but because it's our tree... one we planted together.”[/colour] She hoped that didn't sound too forward, like she was implying anything. Though at the same time, part of her kind of was.

However she was snapped from her thoughts as the tree suddenly shot up into a young tree. She jumped back a little startled, eyes wide. Maybe her magic gave it too much of a boost. When they planted one during her trip, it did grow fast like she said, but not that fast. [colour=#0099ff]“Oh... maybe we celebrated too soon. I think I may have put it in turbo drive.”[/colour]

[colour=#0099ff]“Woah!”[/colour] Hearing the clang of the watering can as it made contact with the stallion, Wisp hurried over to him. [colour=#0099ff]“Are you okay?” [/colour]She leaned down and gave him a little nudge with her muzzle.

Braeburn laid there flat on his back, eyes closed, a swirl of stars orbiting about his wobbly and clouded mind. In this state of confusion and blurred vision, particular recent words swirled around in his head. He couldn’t exactly recall what. Something… special, with Willow Wisp, something they shared… [colour=#daa520]“Well that’s great cuz’ ah really like you”[/colour]. Wait? What did he just say?

Brabeurn quickly lifted his head, finally realizing where he was and what had happened only to suddenly find his muzzle pressed up against Willow’s, not expecting her to be so close. His eyes widened to saucers as he blushed fiercely and smiled, even as he resisted the instinct to quickly move away. Braeburn moved his head back slowly and looked downward for a moment as he felt both embarrassed and shy, [colour=#daa520]“heh, sorry about that”[/colour]. Well that wasn’t entirely true, he wasn’t really sorry. What he wanted to do is lean his head back forward and kiss her, but that would have been uncalled for. [colour=#daa520]“Ah’ll be alright ah think, thanks though.”[/colour]

The goldenrod stallion looked back towards the tree; the once light green sapling was now a dark green young tree with even darker leaves that stood as tall as a full grown buffalo. Before he could say anything more a burst of eerie blue light briefly emanated from the tree flowed outward and it suddenly grew again, this time to twice the height it was before, its form dimmed to an even darker shade of teal. Tiny midnight blue buds forming at the end of its branches. [colour=#daa520] “Whoa… Ya don’t suppose that is supposed to happen, do ya?”[/colour]

Willow Wisp was beginning to think she might have to drag the knocked out stallion back to the farm house. But luckily it seemed he was coming to as he spoke. Though what he said got a confused look from her. [colour=#0099ff]“Wait, what? You like me-”[/colour] she found herself cut off as they ended up muzzle to muzzle. And just like Braeburn, her eyes went wide and even through her black coat a blush clearly covered her face.

[colour=#0099ff]“Ah, no... it's okay...”[/colour] She fumbled over her words as he moved his head way. There had been just the slightest moment of hesitation in that movement, which made her wonder if he really had wanted to look away at all. All she knew was that she felt a little flustered; butterflies in the stomach, a whole big flock of them.

[colour=#0099ff]“Are you sure you're okay?”[/colour] Glancing off for just a moment she tried to shake the feeling that came over her. It had been awkward, a bit embarrassing, but at the same time, part of her really didn't mind. So when the tree once again drew his attention she let out a small sigh. A distraction to clear the air, just what they needed, right?

[colour=#0099ff]“Well, yes, but not that fast. I think my little spark gave this one a boost. Magic fertilizer. It took at least two weeks for the one we planted at our camp to get to this point. But we didn't tamper with it any.”[/colour] Wisp gave a nervous chuckle. “[colour=#0099ff]I must have really liked getting a little extra attention. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we had apples before too long.”[/colour] With a sheepish look she bit her lower lip.[colour=#0099ff] “Perhaps I should stick to just spooky magic. Who knows what might happen if I were to say... attempt to help a carrot or something grow. Might end up with an oversized veggie.”[/colour]

Braeburn watched in awe as the tree rapidly grew and darkened before them; it was the strangest sight he had ever seen, well the second strangest, haunted ghost lanterns still took the winning spot in that category. Braeburn rubbed the back of his mane with his forehoof as he sat back up close to Willow, [colour=#daa520]"maybe it's the spooky magic combined with your family's green hoof that's what's makin' the tree grow darn tootin' fast"[/colour]. Granted it was just an educated guess on Braeburn's part but as the eerily twisted dark branches grew, and the odd midnight blue, almost black leaves formed, he couldn't help but connect it directly back to the nature of the black unicorn's powers. He didn't find it frightening but instead oddly fascinating, even appealing in it's own curious way. [colour=#daa520]"Ah'm alright, thanks though! The apple tree just surprised me, ah wonder how long it'll grow this fast?"[/colour]

Although the midnight blue tree had momentarily caught the focus of the two ponies, Braeburn hadn't forgotten what he said in his daze. He wanted to confess his feelings to her, but for some reason, the words stuck in his throat. He made several little noises. This was ridiculous! He flirted with mares all the time! Why couldn't he do it now? [colour=#daa520]Open yer mouth and say something, Braeburn![/colour] [colour=#daa520] "I think a different sort of tree goes real great in this apple orchard. I'd love to have more different things here."[/colour] [colour=#daa520]No, something about her![/colour]

Braeburn got back up one all fours and stood close to Willow Wisp as he smiled awkwardly while his eyes focused on the bizarre flora before them. [colour=#daa520]"Ah mean umm.. Isn't it great that two so very different ponies can share something together?"[/colour] [colour=#daa520]That wasn't much better, what would yer cousins say now if they saw ya fumbling like this?[/colour] [colour=#daa520]"Ah mean, ah'm glad ah have somepony special to share this with."[/colour]

As if on cue, the tree shimmered in a bright but eerie blue for a second and suddenly jumped into height to some eight feet tall, with little budding black apple blossoms.

[colour=#0099ff]“Your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps this spooky looking tree enjoys a little spooky magic. Either way, I'm going to have to write a letter to the other researchers from our group and share this.”[/colour] Wisp smiled as she looked up at the tree.[colour=#0099ff] “Maybe it's just magic in general. Though if it were just my spooky magic, sure would make me feel a little extra special.”[/colour]

She couldn't help but feel like there was an odd air between them. As if they both knew there was something to say, but getting it out in the open seemed to be harder than it should be. She glanced from the tree to him as he spoke. [colour=#0099ff]“Oh yeah, having different trees make for a nice variety. Maybe someday you can have trees from all over.”[/colour]

As he stood and moved closer the mare turned her attention fully away from the tree for the time being. He was looking at the tree but clearly what he was saying was directed toward her. Even with the couple generalized comments.

[colour=#0099ff]“It is nice that two different ponies can share something so unique. But I'm glad I got to share it with somepony I really like being around. It's like I said before you got bonked on the head... this is our tree. And as long as it grows, and stands out here, looking at it, we'll know we planted it together. And that we both were shocked to watch what a little magic could do.” [/colour]

She had a bit of a shy look on her face as she finally looked back in time to see the little buds. [colour=#0099ff]“It belongs to you and me. It's almost like family.”[/colour]

Braeburn carefully watched the eerie dark tree, for the moment it just stood there like any other apple tree, the branches swaying slightly in the warm wind of the afternoon. Whatever was causing it to grow; it only appeared to come in sudden bursts that lasted a few seconds. When Willow Wisp mentioned writing to her fellow researches, a humorous thought crossed the goldenrod stallion’s mind, [colour=#daa520]“ah can see it now, first a bunch of botanists and magical researches spending their days camped out at mah farm, then it’ll become a source of curiosity for the fine folks of AAAAAAPPLELOOSA! Then a tourist spot, ‘come see the strange black apple tree of AAAAAAPPLELOOSA! Bring back some tasty tart black apples for the kin!’”[/colour] Braeburn chuckled how farfetched that all was, but stranger things have happened.

Braeburn didn't know what to say about Willow's brand of magic - as far as he knew, all unicorn magic was the same - just application was different. Willow Wisp's own brand of magical aura challenged that preconceived notion. Spooky was as good as a word as any, although once a pony was used to it, it didn’t seem as much spooky as eerily alluring. [colour=#daa520]“Well ah hope they can tell y’all what causing it, but ah’m sure yer magic did somethin’. It be special if it was yer particular magic, but either way, yer special already, at least to me.”[/colour]

Braeburn blushed and smiled broadly, not noticing the tree’s pale blue blossom’s opening up as she spoke, their eerie glow obscured by the sun as he fumbled in his mind with the words he really wanted to say. [colour=#daa520] “Ah suppose since we have our own special tree, y’all will have to visit th’ farm regularly, ya know, so w’all can check on it... Together. And uhh maybe we can also go explorin’ again if y'all know some other places you wanna check out for yer research; ah would like that.” [/colour] Braeburn looked down and away for a moment before focusing his eyes directly on her’s, smiling with a soft red blush, [colour=#daa520]“cuz’ ah uh, ah I do like you”.[/colour]

The small blue blossoms fully bloomed, as if on cue, as the tree shimmered once again; the only part still appeared to be missing were any signs of apples.

[colour=#0099ff]“Wouldn't it be exciting?”[/colour] She had to comment on his imagination and the thought of becoming a tourist spot. [colour=#0099ff]“Ponies from all over, coming here to see this tree. A piece of lost history blooming to life. Can you see the papers? Settler Stallion's farm home to mysterious 'Black Magic' Apple tree! See a piece of Equestria history and get a taste for yourself!”[/colour] She laughed lightly.[colour=#0099ff] “And of course like all those stories, there'd be a handsome mugshot of you standing out here with it. That's how it always goes.”[/colour]

She trailed off at that though. The topic had turned to her magic and whether or not it was just her's or anypony's that could effect the tree. And of course she caught his comment about her being special. Though he was quickly on to talking about what the future could hold.

[colour=#0099ff]“Oh, of course I would visit! I mean, I have to make sure it keeps growing right? Maybe I could even bring Grim along once. And... well I hear the Buffalo have some interesting lore. I bet there could be some adventures and exploring we could do tied to that. I'm going to have to get myself a train pass, or at least a book of tickets if they sell them like that.”[/colour]

Willow Wisp wanted to say more, especially to his comment about liking her. Like could mean various things. She knew what she thought about him though, and like was putting it lightly. It was no secret to the mare that she had a crush.

However, as it had many times before, something nagged at her. Braeburn was a handsome and very eligible stallion in her opinion. And well, she thought of herself as an awkward bookworm. Surely he could find some mare with his 'wild west' flare. Plus, she lived a ways away that the moment. That surely made things complicated. She really just didn't have confidence in herself when it came to relationships.

[colour=#0099ff]“I... I like you too, you're really nice, Braeburn.”[/colour] She just bit her lip and sighed looking down at the ground. [colour=#0099ff]“I'm sure a lot of mares like you, well ponies in general. You're friendly and helpful. I...”[/colour] she huffed. Wisp didn't even know what she was attempting to say. So she looked to the tree and nodded to it.[colour=#0099ff] “Look, I think one of those might turn into a tiny start of an apple, soon. Those blossoms look ready to just burst.”[/colour]

Braeburn blushed at Willow Wisp’s compliments. He wanted to chuckle out loud about the idea that “a lot of mares liked him”. He has been told that several times, and perhaps it was true to some degree; at least he certainly got along with many lovely mares enough. Of course what she and others likely meant is that he was supposed to be a “a filly’s stallion” but the truth is he wasn’t actually experienced with relationships, sure he has dated on occasion, but most of the time it never went beyond a social date with casual flirting.

It was then it suddenly dawned on the goldenrod stallion. Was his supposed reputation that made it difficult for him to succeed in relationships? Because mares somehow thought he is unavailable or unattainable? [colour=#daa520]Whoa now Braeburn, maybe that‘ll be true but don’tcha let that go to yer head. [/colour]He had to come right out and tell her he was interested in perusing a relationship while he still had the opportunity; he had to make the first move.

Before he could breech the subject, Willow had moved on to how the tree was doing. The dark flora before them certainly was a unique sight to behold, unearthly yet pretty. In a way the tree symbolize what he liked about the black unicorn mare standing next to him; supposedly mysterious and eerie to most, but once you looked closely and took the time, you see the haunting beauty most ponies miss.

Despite all the deep thought Braeburn was having it wasn’t yet translating into words; [colour=#daa520]“dat would be swell, bringin’ yer little cousin along, maybe he’ll luv explorin’ the great outdoors here, and lil’ Apple Pie can have somepony to talk to.” Gee Braeburn, that is nice and all, but c’mon, quite dodgin’![/colour]

It was now or never! Braeburn took off his Stetson and turned to face Willow, blushing. [colour=#daa520] “so uhhh… I ah meant it when ah said ah like you, well ah mean of course ah like you, but uhh..ah also “like” you.” Geez Braeburn, why are you repeating yerself? Look how society gregarious you normally are! Now kick out with hind-legs up and just say it! [/colour]Braeburn gave a huge smile,[colour=#daa520] “what ah mean is well, ah was wonderin’ if we could take our friendship to the next level, like ah relationship? Ah would like that, ya know, considerin’ that I think y’all pretty and kind and all.”[/colour]

As the goldenrod stallion finished his words, the light, icy blue peddles began to fall around them as the first of the black apples formed on the shimmering tree.

Willow Wisp had kept her focus on the tree, at least she did until she noticed him taking off his hat. As she listened to him, it seemed like everything else just vanished. The words played over and over in her mind, while she just had a blank look on her face. A relationship? Could he really mean that? He was smiling, it had to be true. She couldn't do anything; she felt frozen on the spot as she felt her face starting to get hot.

[colour=#0099ff]“You... you really like me... like that?”[/colour] Finally after a long and most likely awkward silence, she was able to speak. [colour=#0099ff]“I mean, I'm...” [/colour]Wisp's eyes darted to the ground.[colour=#0099ff] “Well it's just, I'm such a bookpony. You're such a hard working, wild and free type. Surely there are mares who are much more like that type.”[/colour] She nervously kicked at the ground with her right front hoof. [colour=#0099ff]“That... that doesn't bother you?”[/colour]

When she looked up again she spotted one of the newly forming apples and smiled. As they stood there talking about growing their relationship, the tree was growing as well. It was almost as if nature was in sync with them. Biting her lower lip she drew a deep breath and let it out slow.

[colour=#0099ff]'Okay Wisp, he put it out there, you have to say something back... something that shows that you feel the same!'[/colour]

She closed her eyes for a moment. For a pony that dealt with the creepy and spooky all the time, she sure seemed afraid of trying to admit her feelings.

[colour=#0099ff]“I... I really like you too, Braeburn!”[/colour] She still had her eyes closed and now she was shouting. Her blushing was actually tinted her black coat, when usually it was hard to see. [colour=#0099ff]“I was worried you'd be upset because I was gone so long. And I really feel like I'm too much of an egghead for a stallion like you! I just... I just...I've had a crush on your since we had that great adventure. You're...You're special to me!”[/colour]

When she finally realized she basically shouted the whole thing out, she opened her eyes and instantly looked to the ground with a sheepish look on her face. If she could glow in the daylight, surely she'd be burning bright full of embarrassment.

[colour=#0099ff]'Good job...you just yelled at him...'[/colour]

• Like 1

Braeburn worried during the brief awkward silence, well brief perhaps to anypony else, for him though it felt like hours before Willow Wisp responded to his expression of feelings for her. Did he push things too far? Was she going to turn him down? It was a risk to come right out and tell her how he felt, but Braeburn was going to stand by the belief he wasn't the only one standing by the ghostly black tree that wanted something more than just friendship.

Braeburn lit up as her initial answer allayed his fears and confirmed his hopes, but she had doubts, doubt stemming from her own worries she wasn't somehow right for him. [colour=#daa520]“Willow, sure w’all may be different inna lot of ways, but ah think w’all have a lot in common too. The only way w’all could know it’ll work is if we give it ah shot. Ah know as an Apple, ah rather take ah chance then not try and regret never knowin’, besides ah think it can work. Won'tcha all try with me” [/colour] Braeburn blushed, but gave a confident wink as well.

Willow’s own thoughts were… enthusiastic. She was yelling, but it was obvious to him it was out of nervousness; all he could do at first was smile, she was more nervous than he, but it appeared she was willing to give it a try as well, at least that is what he hoped.

There was only one thing to do.

Braeburn stepped up to Willow Wisp, who was still sheepishly looking at the ground; he lifted her head with his forehoof as he gave a broad, encouraging smile before he pressed forward and met her lips with his own with a warm kiss.

There stood behind them was the black tree, shimmering in a soft blue glow as it displayed first fully grown and ripe apple from it's branches.

At first she just had a wide eyed look, pretty much frozen in spot. A kiss? She was getting a kiss? Her eyes closed after a moment as the world seemed to just pause in place. She felt her heart beating as if it was going to burst right out of her chest. And as cheesy as it may have seemed, Willow Wisp truly felt like she was in some sort of fairy tale. The whole situation was just sweet and charming in her mind. Standing out there, beneath the tree they planted together, as they shared a first kiss? What could be more romantic than that?

When their lips finally parted, she just smiled with a soft and very happy expression showing on all her features. Stepping forward she nuzzled him and sighed. [colour=#0099ff]“I'm happy that I can say you're my very special somepony. You never failed to make me feel special. Even when I felt a little strange or out of place.”[/colour]

She finally noticed the tree after the daze of being in their own little world started to fade. The apple sitting proudly on the branch, having been the witness to what had just happened. Maybe it wasn't magic that made it grow so fast. Or at least in her mind she had come to conclusion that it had to do with their budding relationship. After all, thinking it was that first kiss that made it fully appear made the whole thing seem so much more special.

[colour=#0099ff]“mum and Dad sure are going to be surprised when I write them and tell them I've got somepony special. They may even want to come see for themselves.”[/colour] Willow mused after some time just standing there, leaning against Braeburn lightly.

Braeburn was both genuinely curious and genuinely apprehensive about meeting Willow Wisp's parents. Would they like him? What would they say? Yet again, her dame was a gardener, they would likely have a lot in common, and her sire did sound kind. [colour=#daa520]"Well ah suppose we can arrange that, ah am sure they would love AAAAAAAAAPLELOOSA! Who wouldn't!?"[/colour]

Speaking of family, it dawned upon Braeburn at that moment about how his cousins would mercilessly quiz him about his new relationship. He slumped against the shimmering black apple tree and audibly groaned, [colour=#daa520]"ho boy are cuzin' Mac, Abby, and especially cuzin' Applejack going tah tease me without mercy about this, and boy howdy!"[/colour] Braeburn gave an awkward smile towards the black unicorn mare standing next to him, [colour=#daa520]"and they'll be sure t'all pepper y'all with questions too the first chance they'll get."[/colour]

The goldenrod stallion's mental flood of prospective teasing was cut short when one of the newly borne black apples suddenly came loose from the tree to bonk him right on the noggin. Braeburn shook his head and looked down at the midnight coloured fruit, he couldn't explained why but looking at its ebony skin, his expression turning from that of worry to a bemused grin. He looked up at Willow and smiled confidently, [colour=#daa520]"no matter what they ask or say though, it'll be ah small price ah am more than willing to pay for the opportunity to be with somepony as wonderful as y'all."[/colour]

His eyes suddenly lit up with an epiphany! [colour=#daa520]"Ah have a great idea! mah cousin Applejack is having her Zap Apple harvest again at good ol' Sweet Apple Acres and ah have to visit to pick up mah order and help out an' all, perhaps y'all like to come with, being that it's in Ponyville and all; ah bet y'all would have a great time!"[/colour]

Braeburn held up the fallen apple toward Willow and warningly smiled, [colour=#daa520]"wanna be the first to taste test?"[/colour]

It seemed the both of them wondered about their families and what they would say when the word of their relationship got out. Though as he mentioned his cousins want to quiz her she had to laugh. Willow Wisp shook her head. [colour=#0099ff]“Well then if they want to talk, maybe I'll actually have some visitors for once. Ponies still seem rather spooked of my house. The mailpony does a run by when I get letters. I've never seen anypony run that fast and still manage to get things into the mailbox.”[/colour]

She let out a light gasp when he was bonked on the head by the apple, but it faded into a light laugh. She supposed she should have seen that coming. At least it hadn't dropped on them while they had been kissing. That would have really been a mood killer.

[colour=#0099ff]“Zap Apple harvest huh? I missed that while I was on my trip. I've never had a one. Sounds like a fun event though.” [/colour]She smiled. [colour=#0099ff]“If you're coming to visit then... well maybe we can tell your cousins then about us. That way we can field the questions together. Who knows, maybe mum and Dad could visit the same time. Sure would be a lot easier than having to answer the same stuff over and over, right? Ponyville is a nice central location, makes a good meeting spot.”[/colour]

She fell quiet as he offered her the apple and she shook her head. They grew it together, so they were going to taste it together. It only took a little magic to make it split in two, and she hovered one half over to herself. [colour=#0099ff]“There.”[/colour] Seeing the deep blue colour of the flesh really brought back memories of her travels and how shocked the group was when they first saw the fruit. [colour=#0099ff]“Just like the night sky, huh?[/colour]”

With that she took her half in hoof and winked.[colour=#0099ff] “On the count of three... we can taste test together. 1...2...3.” [/colour]and one cue she took a bite.