Role Playing with Music

Ciraxis

I like to start this discussion with a tale of the experience of mine. Few years ago when I was playing D&D (which I no longer do, many of my old friends had moved from my city) we was playing and quite diversified campaign, in terms of content. There was a dungeons crawling, an murder investigation in the city and our team ever got involved in the siege of the another one, and full fledged battle. While the adventure was full of clichés (well used and with a taste, but still clichés) it was one of most memorable ones I ever had,. Why?

Simple. The GM was music lover.

Not only that, his intuition of using the music was just perfect. When we traveled through the catacombs, he played a unnerving themes (from first Diablo if I remember) that gave us the shivers . When on battlefield, a inspiring heroic theme, to get our blood pumping. And when appropriate, just a 'silence' (by which I mean squeaking of rats, howling of wind and other environmental sounds), et cetera, et cetera - you got a drift.

What I have mean? The right music is invaluable ally of GM (and the players). If GM is not very good at description of the surroundings, the right music can fill up with that. And if GM is good, the right 'soundtrack' can turn great session into awesome one.

So, what's your tales with music in the paper & dice RP?