Season 3 Episode 11 Synopsis

Merry Xmas guys. Are you ready for the synopsis for episode 11?

No. You are not ready. But here it is.

No seriously, you are not ready.

Keep Calm and Flutter On:

Synopsis: Princess Celestia tasks the ponies with reforming Discord, a mischievous spirit of disharmony, but Fluttershy is the only one who is willing to give him a chance.

DISCOOOOOOORD!

• Like 1

I actually hope that Fluttershy (and the others if they give him a second chance) fail or at least partially fail. Don't get me wrong, I love Fluttershy as she is superior pony. However, we already saw the reformation thing with Trixie and Babs. Also a good lesson to learn is that not everyone is wiling to be a good guy. You simply can't kill some people with kindness (which is what Flutters will undoubtedly try). There will be evil people in an imperfect world. Equestria, no matter how much some people may deny it, isn't perfect. If they do decide to reform him, I hope its only partially. He won't be all out evil (wanting to make the entire world chaotic) but he would still be rather sadistic and a prankster who would be willing to help/socialize with the characters from time to time.

All in all... HOLY **** DISCORD IS BACK AND ITS A FLUTTERSHY EPISODE!!!!

• Like 1

I don't think Discord will ever become a goody-two-shoes; it's just not in his nature. But it would be interesting to what kind of effect Fluttershy has on him.

I'm most curious to learn how they will intend to stop Discord from just going full chaos again. I'm assuming that Celestia will find some way to limit his powers so he doesn't simply turn Ponyville upside-down and hypnotise the mane 6 again.

Conjecture time.....

I wonder if Episode 8 on the production schedule is meant to be the theorized Celestia/Luna/Discord backstory episode, but got moved on the airing schedule closer to this episode? :|

• Like 1

I noticed that people are wondering why Pinkie wouldn't want to give Discord a second chance. Its probably because Discord does what he does for his own amusement instead of making everyone smile/laugh. So he basically goes against what Pinkie believes is important which is making everyone smile.

I'm kinda shocked the return of Discord would come in some ordinary one part Fluttershy episode. That's kinda cool though. I like when the show does unexpected things.

I am kinda worried though. Are 12 and 13 going to still be a 2 part episode? If so, that means no Rarity episodes this season. :scream:

Unlikely. The showrunner(s) said Starswirl was supposed to be the "Merlin" of Equestria, but they weren't sure what to do with him (other than being an occasional mention among historical figures).

Starts are extremely common in animation usage.

Discord also mentioned he's lived for "eons", so there'd be an inconsistency if the rumor was to be true.

To top it all off, the rumor makes a big deal about the lines being spoken to Twilight, yet the episode synopsis suggests a Flutter-centric episode. There is just as much reason to believe the lines were made up by a random user theorizing how Discord's return would happen in an actual episode. The idea of Fluttershy playing a larger role than Twilight against Discord was well beyond what a fan wanted to predict, though.

And before someone says "2/3-parter!", that has a 1%* chance of happening. The episodes do not follow continuity to the point that the audience would need to watch a previous episode to know what happened, unless they're a 2-parter, which have always been mentioned in their synopsis as being 2-parters.

Despite all I wrote, I will concede that the rumor has a chance to be true, but only because it's vague. There's some spelling mistakes in the lines, and I do not believe Discord would call Twilight "miss Twilight Sparkle".

*1% margin of error

Unlikely.

At first I would toss any rumor into the 'maybe' pile. But this one just seems legit to me. Without putting all of my eggs in one basket, I think this rumor is legit. One thing I realized without the help of that link was that M. A. Larson is the writer for the episodes Return of Harmony part 1 and 2, Luna Eclipsed, and It's About Time. And I would be pretty shocked if Larson didn't write this episode too, because he's familiar with Discord already, and they usually keep writers with the same ideas. If the character in question did show up sometime this season, it would be in one of his episodes.

This is interesting. On the one hand, it's not what I would have done as a writer. The way Discord always worked in my mind, based on what I'd seen on the show, is that he's not "a creature who has decided to be evil and chaotic", or even "a creature that is evil and chaotic", but rather "chaos and evil made into a creature". It's no more possible to persuade him not to spread disharmony between ponies than it is possible to teach a sentient paperclip maximizer to stop making paperclips, or a computer to stop using binary. The capacity simply doesn't exist.

On the other hand, you can't just tell kids "some people are just plain evil, and nothing will ever change them". Even if it's true. It's just not a good philosophy to have in life. So I'm glad that the effort is being made. With any luck, this will put a stop to some of the more ridiculous twisting of Celestia's character in the fandom, too. I'm completely in favour of the heroes making the effort to reach out to the villains and helping them to reform - if anything, it should happen more often.

This is interesting. On the one hand, it's not what I would have done as a writer. The way Discord always worked in my mind, based on what I'd seen on the show, is that he's not "a creature who has decided to be evil and chaotic", or even "a creature that is evil and chaotic", but rather "chaos and evil made into a creature". It's no more possible to persuade him not to spread disharmony between ponies than it is possible to teach a sentient paperclip maximizer to stop making paperclips, or a computer to stop using binary. The capacity simply doesn't exist.

On the other hand, you can't just tell kids "some people are just plain evil, and nothing will ever change them". Even if it's true. It's just not a good philosophy to have in life. So I'm glad that the effort is being made. With any luck, this will put a stop to some of the more ridiculous twisting of Celestia's character in the fandom, too. I'm completely in favour of the heroes making the effort to reach out to the villains and helping them to reform - if anything, it should happen more often.

You make some valid points, but this being the case we have to then look at Sombra. I would love to know if he has something in common with Discord. Of course, he done got blowed up so... yeah.

And I would be pretty shocked if Larson didn't write this episode too, because he's familiar with Discord already, and they usually keep writers with the same ideas.

Tough luck then, because Dave Polsky wrote the script for this episode.

Tough luck then, because Dave Polsky wrote the script for this episode.

Thats very shocking, and even a bit confusing. They usually keep writers on the same arcs.

And just so no one is confused about episode order, this episode is called 311, but its episode 10 of Season 3 by airdate order. There was a gap in episode lineups and episode 308 got pushed to be episode 11. I think it was moved for continuity reasons, but we'll have to see.

What I wanna know: Is Rarity really getting the shaft this season or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Extended synopsis incoming:

Princess Celestia has decided that the rambunctious Discord needs to be tamed and commissions the ponies for the job; Fluttershy believes that Discord deserves a second chance but she faces opposition as the only one who thinks so.