How do you write?

JohnnySnipes

Normally, whenever an idea comes to mind, I'll listen to some kind of music while I write. A lot of people think that this would be distracting, but it helps me keep my focus on whatever I'm working on.

If I ever get to a certain point where I just get stuck, I don't go back and fix something to keep it going; I just roll with the punches. For example, in my current story, my character is stuck in a cell for an unknown reason (to him anyway). While most people will go back and find a way to keep moving forward, I find that it makes my story more realistic if I continue with what I have. Of course, this makes it more difficult to keep the story interesting, but I, for one, enjoy the challenge! This also helps to avoid certain issues where something that normally wouldn't happen, actually does happen, which I can't stand.

Edit: I think that my methods are a little strange... Okay, a lot strange... But, whatever works, right? If it looks stupid, but works, then it isn't stupid!

• 1 year later...

I usually think of an idea and then find the music that would fit that. I find that music helps me do a lot better cause I don't feel the stress as much when doing so. Most of my stories are either dark, slice of life, and adventure based. Though there have been a lot of biased comments on OC stories, it can be done right if you know what to do, not every single story about an oc is bad; you either like it or you don't; its that simple.

Celtic music usually helps with the adventure feeling and drives me to finish what I start. If you listen to music, you can picture the idea you're having and write it down, but just writing as you go along, never is a good idea. You'll be hit with roadblock after roadblock and never get anywhere. 

I have a couple of gdocs devoted to capturing random ideas and snippets of scenes I get into my head, waiting for a story to fit them. One is a page full of 'quotes' that I can either have a character say or have attributed to someone. I sometimes have problems coming up with a story on my own because a lot of my writing experience is from roleplaying, but every now and then I can put out something even I'm not sure where it came from.

I usually write in bursts of inspiration or duty, with very, VERY dry periods between. My best bursts usually come during/after showers or at work, and since I have the attention span of a sparrow with ADD, I'm frankly amazed I've written anything at all. 

Archived